Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question What’s the best way to play?

tcnumba10

Moon
New here,

Just wondering what’s the best platform to roleplay? Using IM here? Discord? Others?

Thank you!

Hey tcnumba10!

So it all depends upon your personal preference, however, the IM on the front page is for chatting only (same with the BMR discord. Although plotting can be done in the room specifically for it on the Discord channel) - no roleplaying or plotting within the chat.

Hey tcnumba10!

So it all depends upon your personal preference, however, the IM on the front page is for chatting only (same with the BMR discord. Although plotting can be done in the room specifically for it on the Discord channel) - no roleplaying or plotting within the chat.

Ah thank you, I wonder what’s everybody’s preferences? What’s the most effective/popular method?

I personally prefer PM’s. I have done thread play before but I’m already overly critical of my own work, so that really kicks my anxiety into high gear at times.

I’m not a fan of discord play in part because I like to use pictures and it’s just cleaner and more uniform to me to do such here on a message board.

I personally prefer Discord because it's so flexible. It suits well for both making a post when one has time and more active message changing when both (/all) players are online at the same time. I like the possibility of having IC and OOC separated clearly with little effort also.

I prefer threads. Its almost like a showcase - potential partners can see the type of posting I do.

A lot of people prefer PMs for various reasons.

Discord has been growing on me as of late, and I certainly enjoy being able to discuss plots etc more on DIscord than via PM.

I prefer threads too, for the same reason above, but also because it's way easier for me to keep up and see what I still need to do. My Discord is full of forgotten servers and hundreds of unread messages...way too easy for postings to get lost for me. I also like the clean viewing of a forum thread - to me, feels more like reading a story. Even on mobile.

Sometimes, it just takes a while to develop a preference. I very quickly found I can't do PM/Discord roleplay because of my ADD tendencies. :)

Discord does limit how much you can type/post in one go, so formatting becomes more of an issue too. I keep hitting the limits there. It recently got an upgrade that makes it much easier to manage multiple servers!

Oh, does it? I don't play on it enough to have come across that problem. Add that to another reason I prefer threads!

okay so I assume that threads are the ones that show up and everyone can see what you and your partner are writing. cool, did that before a few years ago. have no idea how to start one now but... and PM's are kept private between you and who ever you write with. but how the heck do you find your story once you start it? I can only view it when they write back to me, once I reply, it disappears, where does it go? how can I call it up? and where do I find all of my recent sent messages? it seems like there are so many fewer options than before. getting very frustrated

I've always roleplayed privately as I'm not so confident with my writing skills for others to see just yet :/

But threads can be good so others can look at how you roleplay. So maybe in the future I'll have a roleplay thread ^^

Discord does limit how much you can type/post in one go, so formatting becomes more of an issue too. I keep hitting the limits there. It recently got an upgrade that makes it much easier to manage multiple servers!

I am loving this upgrade to Discord. Now my forgotten servers can be organized into little folders much like an iPhone. I also use it to group similar servers together.

I enjoy PMs but not being able to edit is a nuance. I prefer Discord all around because of the organization and separate channels you can make. If a post is too long, I find an appropriate spot to break into two posts and honestly, you can't really tell it was broken into two or more parts when you post the other parts straight after.

Ah thank you, I wonder what’s everybody’s preferences? What’s the most effective/popular method?

The most popular method is the DM or PM on blue moon. Becausemany people are shy and they like having the little notice thing pop up in their box. The second most poplar is Discord because it is a quick live chat. The third is Threads. Which i ironic because we are built for thread RPs and the site sunk most it's resources into that. I personally suggest DM or thread RPs. I find it hard to be online the same time my partner. If you and our partner can meet up online at a set time each week, discord is fantastic. Otherwise it is frustrating. With DMs and threads you just leave post and they reply, then you reply,when you have time.

I rather enjoy PMs. There isnt much difference except that you cant edit PMs indefinitely like you can with threads. So it really depends on your need for editing, privacy, and amount of examples you'll need for your Request thread--if that's the route you choose to go.

You (and all WC members and supporters) should be able to edit pms indefinitely now. Let me know if you can't.

Discord or PMS are where I feel most comfortable for sure, but focus and chat stories can be fun too!!

I like discord; can set-up a server for just the two of you with many chat windows and places to organize writings.

PMs are fine too.

And here I am preferring skype like a total loser ._.

As compared to what?

I don't think preferences for a particular style or platform makes a person a loser. It might limit the number of RP's in which you might participate, but so do your preferences for content, plot, topic, etc. Go with what you feel comfortable with and what you like. (y)

I did threads and Discord before. Notification-wise, Discord is easier on phone. If you're more online here on Blue Moon, I guess threada/private messages are the way to go!

Back
Top Bottom