Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Notice We will be upgrading the forums the morning of Monday, July 22nd.

Vekseid

Most imposing inkwell.
Administrator
As the title says, Monday, July 22nd we will be upgrading to Xenforo 2.1, in addition to activating a number of plugins, and finalizing some features which already exist but currently are not utilized.

Planned time is ~1 AM PDT / 4 AM Eastern / 8 AM GMT.

What follows is far from a complete list. It's just the most obvious.

Xenforo 2.1
  • Push notifications for supported devices and browsers.
  • A post-based bookmarking system
  • Reactions. I will be tentatively enabling this and see how it goes. Possibly in PMs only to start as it's private and not counted.
  • Better Emoji/Smiley handling
  • A number of features we were using addons for are now baked into the software. Including one I wrote, woo.​
  • Various performance and admin-facing improvements.
Conversations
  • User tracking will be enabled, and you can see what message a conversation participant last read (datestamp with clickable link). I had to move the per-conversation reject column to a different table, but I will try to get that converted properly.
  • You will be able to restore left or ignored conversations. You can view either using the folder filter to select them.
  • Users who are ignoring a conversation will be clearly marked, and you will not be able to reply if everyone else is ignoring you.
  • Conversation edit histories! I will be expanding the time where edits are possible accordingly.
  • Start conversations with yourself.
  • Other features I've probably forgotten.
Other Features
  • Referral contest system.
  • Going to make the trophy system something decent and hopefully interesting.
  • Media galleries and attachments for supporters and other contributing groups.
  • And more.
Right now the server is a bit too tight on space to open up galleries and attachments for everyone. We will be looking at funding a new server set next year, but in the mean time I hope people consider supporting us on Patreon. Your life comes first, of course, but every bit helps. : )

-------------

Again this is only a brief overview, and not complete. There is more coming, and more stuff I am working on.

I expect the site will be down for ~3 hours during the upgrade, give or take. Elliquiy will of course be live during the upgrade.

It is fully possible - likely even - that some weird stuff will break after the upgrade. It shouldn't stop you from participating; feel free to vent said issues in the Questions and Suggestions forum.

Thank you for your patience, everyone, and take care.

FINALLY, you can expand the edit timeframe.

also we can start conversations with ourselves, perfect now all my multiple personalities can chat with each other.

I am totally here for the starting conversations with myself. Talking to myself is one of my plethora of super powers! ;) Seriously though, I am down for it, makes for a good saving place for things you want close at hand. Genius! I love it! Thank you!

That's from approx. 1800 22JUL19 Australian Eastern Standard.

Bring it on, Vek. Thanks for the hard work you and the other staff put in to keep us happy (or...less unhappy >.> ). :)

Thanks for heads up, and for keeping the lights on @Vekseid . We appreciate all the hard work you put in to implement new features.

Thank you for all your hard work! These sound like great additions. Can I ask, what do you mean by "reactions" in PMs?

@Jazzi By "reactions", I believe Vek means "ratings" in Xenforo software. The basic default is "Liking" a post, but you can also rate a post "Funny", "Informative", "Hugs", or even "Kitty"--anything the site admin wants to set.

This is actually the one thing listed that I'm not so enthused about, but I am reassured about it being enabled only in private conversations and not tracked/visible by anyone else but the conversation participants. For this site's existence, the staff has held a longstanding policy of not allowing anything on this site to turn into a "popularity contest" given the sensitivity and very personal nature of the content that this site deals with, and that is a policy I wholeheartedly agree with. (Just as an example, one Xenforo forum I am a part of used to have a "Facepalm" rating after it was originally established, but that ended up needing to be disabled sitewide pretty early on, for reasons I'm sure are obvious. Later, the admins even had to disable the "Funny" rating in the politics board section due to so many people maliciously abusing it in serious political debates. This entire forum deals with an overarching subject even more personal than that, which would make even just plain "liking" posts problematic for people who "aren't popular" and simply want to have a good time here.)

What I wanted to do was replace all the icons with completely abstract and esoteric things. Like having Blue Moon as the default 'reaction', for whatever interpretation anyone wanted to give it. Cats and dogs also.

I would humbly suggest that continuation of the story is the only "like" you need. >.>

I would humbly suggest that continuation of the story is the only "like" you need. >.>
That's what I was thinking (for private-only "likes", at least), but that's apparently not what Vek is actually doing? x3 He just mentioned "abstract" ratings that don't actually have any real meaning but what an individual thinks. Might be interesting.

oooooh, looks like fun! just a question, will reply tracking always be enabled, or do people have the option to opt out, kind of like imessage's read receipts?
It is an opt-out system, as far as I can tell read-receipts are enabled by default but you can disable it for individual conversations at least, and I think there's probably a global option to disable as well in user profile settings.

@PsionicCuttlefish

Thanks for your indepth response, now I get it! It makes sense how it could be problematic, I never thought about that but you do have a point! I guess we will just have to wait and see. I'm mostly happy with the extended edit time window, it can be a pain sometimes not having enough time to fix a post!

That's what I was thinking (for private-only "likes", at least), but that's apparently not what Vek is actually doing? x3 He just mentioned "abstract" ratings that don't actually have any real meaning but what an individual thinks. Might be interesting.

It is an opt-out system, as far as I can tell read-receipts are enabled by default but you can disable it for individual conversations at least, and I think there's probably a global option to disable as well in user profile settings.

It's opt out, yes. You can set it in your privacy settings or per thread, where it will take the more restrictive of the two.

Back
Top Bottom