Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What do you look for in a roleplay partner? (Detailed)

Someone that is able to plot with me, it's not like pulling teeth to get them to contribute ideas. They understand it's a two way street.

Someone approachable.

Someone interested in long term plots.

Someone that is able to plot with me, it's not like pulling teeth to get them to contribute ideas. They understand it's a two way street.

Someone approachable.

Exactly. I like to see some ideas and enthusiasm. This all adds up to time in the end and if I wanted to write alone I could without the trouble of finding a partner. PM's where the person sounds like they are ready to start when nothing has been discussed or they just agree with everything you say is not encouraging.

Likewise with long term plots, that takes actual story line and character development, to keep me interested anyway.

Exactly. I like to see some ideas and enthusiasm. This all adds up to time in the end and if I wanted to write alone I could without the trouble of finding a partner. PM's where the person sounds like they are ready to start when nothing has been discussed or they just agree with everything you say is not encouraging.

Likewise with long term plots, that takes actual story line and character development, to keep me interested anyway.
You get a thumbs up from me. đź‘Ť

I don't know how to quote but this

Someone approachable.

Even when my bouts of depression kick in I try to assure people I'm interested but the moment it feels like I'm pulling teeth to connect with someone I'm done. Also, People that like to take a risk are great partners. I'm more apt to do things I haven't tried before if my partner is. That goes for styles of plots, rp perspectives, kinks, and everything else.

I don't know how to quote but this

Someone approachable.

Even when my bouts of depression kick in I try to assure people I'm interested but the moment it feels like I'm pulling teeth to connect with someone I'm done. Also, People that like to take a risk are great partners. I'm more apt to do things I haven't tried before if my partner is. That goes for styles of plots, rp perspectives, kinks, and everything else.

At the bottom of posts there should be a report button and a little over there's a button that says reply to someone's post. Just click on that and you will be good to go.
Yeah, me too. I feel like I'm bothering them therefore I step back. Also, sometimes it is good to try new things you never know what will happen.

At the bottom of posts there should be a report button and a little over there's a button that says reply to someone's post. Just click on that and you will be good to go.
Yeah, me too. I feel like I'm bothering them therefore I step back. Also, sometimes it is good to try new things you never know what will happen.

Test... Ohhh cool thanks. I'm not even blonde but I have those moments a lot. :D See I listened and tried something new! Everyone give it a shot

Hmm, not many hard and fast rules, but here are a few brief notes
  • A high level of literacy and writing structure.
  • Openness to plotting things out somewhat beforehand.
  • A propensity to banter/sassiness
  • Patience for my quirks
  • A preference leaning towards longer, slower-paced roleplays
  • A preference towards a more lighthearted tone

Adaptability. Lots of people enjoy huge paragraph posts and that's great but I don't really enjoy that. People seem to make the assumption that because I don't, I can't. That's not really true, roleplaying is an interactive experience for me, something that requires a bit of a casual back and forth. It also requires the flexibility to move around post sizes when the situation demands it. I can easily do huge paragraphs, but I don't really like doing it because after a while I get bored and disinterested with continuing because it's not dynamic enough for me. Roleplaying to me is my turn, your turn. Having a metric boatload of stuff happen that requires a constant backtrack to keep pace is not really my cup of tea.

If I want to dump walls of text, I'll write solo (which I do.) Roleplaying is supposed to be a fun, interactive thing. Not watching someone write huge chunks of story or dialogue that I can't respond to without being on a perpetual backfoot.

Adaptability. Lots of people enjoy huge paragraph posts and that's great but I don't really enjoy that. People seem to make the assumption that because I don't, I can't. That's not really true, roleplaying is an interactive experience for me, something that requires a bit of a casual back and forth. It also requires the flexibility to move around post sizes when the situation demands it. I can easily do huge paragraphs, but I don't really like doing it because after a while I get bored and disinterested with continuing because it's not dynamic enough for me. Roleplaying to me is my turn, your turn. Having a metric boatload of stuff happen that requires a constant backtrack to keep pace is not really my cup of tea.

If I want to dump walls of text, I'll write solo (which I do.) Roleplaying is supposed to be a fun, interactive thing. Not watching someone write huge chunks of story or dialogue that I can't respond to without being on a perpetual backfoot.

I had a partner who would always write 12 or so paragraphs every single post. They used to complain about the "pace" because they would do the same for all their RP's. At least 50% of their posts was just rehashing my previous one as well as going into intricate detail about things that didn't matter. It started to feel like work reading their posts and responding. I am more than happy with 2-3 solid engaging paragraphs. Less if that is all the post requires at that point.

Quality first.

100% Quality first. I will take a solid 2-3 sentences even if it provides meaningful dialogue to move the situation forward, some character introspection and some actions.

To be honest, creativity and teamwork is something I lust for in a writing partner. To me there is nothing better than a partner who includes you in the creation of stories. I find far too often do people have an idea they have created beforehand and when they have someone interested in collaborating with them, it becomes, oh, let’s just do this. And sometimes are reluctant to change anything or even if they do, it’s like pulling teeth. Last I checked, roleplaying is something between two people. Not one person and if you can collaborate with me with us both bringing really wonderful and cohesive ideas together, the rest will fall into place.

Also, writers who are plot driven. I’m not a pure smut kind of person. I love a good story and character growth mixed with story progression.

The one thing that catches my attention is the effort/detail a partner might put into just contacting me about a story idea. I want to brainstorm and do some world building. I want to collaborate on a scenario that both parties can enjoy. If something catches my eye or sparks my muse then usually I send them a good amount of information detailing the possibilities of a potential role play. It is easy to tell when someone is passionate/excited about a story because of how eager they are to discuss the story elements and dynamic between characters.

There is nothing more disappointing than just getting short, effortless messages asking me "you want to role play?" or a response to one of my own messages that just says "that sounds like fun". Tell me what you want, what you are craving and itching for...participate in the conversation. If the story doesn't have any kind or spark or inspiration then it feels like a chore to pump out a post. This is a hobby for me that is meant to be fun, relaxing and distracting. I don't want to feel like I'm forcing myself to move a scene along, I want to be excited about it.

Sometimes this can be something as simple as writing chemistry between partners since everyone has their style and preference. A lot of the times stories don't work out which is understandable, but there is nothing more satisfying than having a partner that helps take it to the next level.

I had to check whether or not I had reacted here or not, but i didn't.

Most answers I see here are those of snobs. Literacy? What is literacy really? We are all literate people here. Nobody into roleplaying is illetarate. Escpecially not on a writing website. Take myself for instance. I usually write between 4 and a lot more paragraphs per post. Does that make me advanced literate? Fuck no. English is my third language, and at best it's mediocre. It's raw and pure and it lacks all the various ways to describe how a leaf rustles in the wind. I miss all the basics of English, because I didn't grow up with it. But I'm not illetarate, I know how to drive a story forward. I write extremely descriptive. Practise makes perfect. I have never raped a girl in my life and I truly would never be able, but I can write a real rape scene. It's not that hard.

I see answers of quality? What is quality? Is that writing ten paragraphs saying nothing or four that say all? I can't imagine anyone coming here not wanting to write quality. There are a lot of young people on this site, who are learning the ropes. Yes, they're not as good as others, but it doesn't mean they don't have quality. Times change, and what I am used to isn't what others are looking for. Even one sentence cyber roleplays can contain quality.

In my own personal experience, the only thing to look for, is a click between partners, if you can get along with your writing partner, the story will follow. All the times I have started a play, after extensive plotting, for my partner to stop all communication the moment a play started, it has lead to nothing. If you cannot get along with your roleplay partner outside of the play, just quit it beforehand, it's not going to work out. Get to know your partner, when are their busy days, what irks them, and what pleases them. Heck, try to find out when their period is (in my case only writing with females), so you know that on those days you shouldn't push too hard. And have a laugh together, make fun.

I have to agree with Nero here, wanting quality is not people being snobs and it does matter. Literacy is on a scale, I don't consider myself the best writer either, I am less descriptive than others I know when it comes to clothing and appearances and I use very little flowery language which I know some people like, it just doesn't appeal to me so I don't use it myself. I think my writing is still of good quality and I like to think I make up for it in other ways, in my inventiveness, in the way I weave actions and conversations and the effort I put into their thoughts and emotions. Not for me to decide though, I could be the worst writer here, point is quality has many forms but it is a good thing to seek out, if you're not happy with whatever quality RP you are getting from your partner then you will not want to continue, you will feel very little motivation. I think the most important thing is to simply be on the same page, somebody that wants what you want for the story and the writing itself is more important than anything else, because if you both envision it going different ways then you're going to have a problem, a tug of war where one of you will eventually be writing something you didn't want to.

OOC can be nice but I don't think it's that important. It can improve a good RP, for certain, but I have had plenty of fantastic ones with very little OOC because the story speaks for itself and some people find it way too uncomfortable. The menstrual cycle thing strikes me as way too far, honestly if I was a woman and you asked me what my cycle was, as an RP partner, you'd be getting ignored and quite possibly reported. At best, it's none of your damn business. At best.

Get to know your partner, when are their busy days, what irks them, and what pleases them. Heck, try to find out when their period is (in my case only writing with females), so you know that on those days you shouldn't push too hard. And have a laugh together, make fun.
I hope you're kidding with this because if you think that's something you as a writing partner online should know it crosses the line. This is why I keep to myself when it comes to my personal life and online. There's no way around it, this is disturbingly creepy.

I would just like to step in and let everyone know that if a user ever asks when your period is or inquires into any other kind of private body function that you have not explicitly brought up as a discussion topic yourself, you would be well within your rights to report that user for harassment.

Trying to find out a roleplay partner’s menstrual cycle (or, again, any kind of private body function) in order to track it is an immense violation of privacy that staff would take very seriously.

^ That also just sounds downright creepy.

In any case, for the question at hand, I look for people who can be more available. I have ADHD so waiting a couple days for a response is kind of rough, especially when responses in my RP's are shorter and take maybe 15 minutes to type and send, not hours, just makes it disappointing to wait days for something I could have cranked out in 10-15 minutes. One or two paragraphs is my typical range out of preference, not a lack of ability, I can and sometimes do put out more if I decide it's necessary. A lot of people here seem to come more from a writing background and so the most common style is this collaborative novel style that I don't really like or understand. As a result, I like a partner that isn't afraid to take the reigns and switch off when needed, more of a tabletop or general game style where one person is in charge of a scene and the other acts as a player until it switches off again. I don't need back and fourth time though, don't misunderstand, it's exhausting when you sit there for hours every day just going back and fourth, feeling like you can't do anything else. Sporadic posts throughout when you get 10 minutes here or there is fine, though I'm not against back and fourth once in a while. For that, you need to actually like roleplay, not be the kind of person that claims it as calming and soothing and then can't be assed to do this calming activity because you had a long day, but then probably just staring at the wall or watching Netflix anyway. As a quick summary, I need someone interested in roleplay (rather than sexting), reasonably available to keep it going, and capable of thinking on their own (running a scene means not telling me/you the details and minimizing planning so that it's still a surprise to the other). On an unrelated note, I think I might be in dire need of revamping my ad again, I feel like I still come off as a drill sergeant...

Heck, try to find out when their period is (in my case only writing with females), so you know that on those days you shouldn't push too hard. And have a laugh together, make fun.

Jesus…wow…periods seriously. People don't have to disclose any kind of information about them. Actually, due to the fact that not everything on this site is kosher, people are incentivized to keep things to themselves. I wouldn't ask when somebody's birthday is, and you wondering about periods. I mean, what's next ask people when they have lunch and dinner, I'm sure there are cycles of the mood around food intake.

Don't mean to gang up on you. People will share information that they are comfortable sharing.

Back
Top Bottom