Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What do you look for in a roleplay partner? (Detailed)

Consistency when involved in long term RP's. And to know they are at least trying to hold their end of the writing deal.

Aside from that...exquisite detail in their writing.

Consistent (both in quality and quantity...) and able to pm me to tell me there is a problem.

From the outset I want someone who can communicate and is creative. Someone who wants more than just a smut fest or the usual cliches or the usual approach to the usual cliches. I say that in that way because I am not claiming my ideas are all that original either but I do try and approach them from a different angle. Multi faceted characters rather than just ones who are super keen to jump into whatever it is. I like it when things are a challenge for them.

Someone who will engage me and someone who brings thoughts to the table. I guess chemistry matters in the end.

Someone who will actually finish the damn RP is nice too!

Last edited:
Compatibility both in writing and personality. I want to feel a connection in both worlds, so that I have no hesitation in PMing to clarify a detail or hash out the next scene. We don't have to be best buds (though I love developing friendships), just comfortable with communicating back and forth OOC. I want to feel a connection with the writing too, which is why I always look at old threads or ask for a sample. If the styles are too different, it just won't work no matter how much we try.

Creativity is a must. Sure, there will be smutty stuff, but it had better be creatively woven into the story so that it seems a logical conclusion and not shoehorned in there for kicks.

As others have said, consistency and ability to commit to the story.

Not entirely sure as of yet, but I think it would be extremely refreshing to partner with someone who is a decent writer, as I've unfortunately never had any friends who share my interests in that regard. Outside of that, I would look for someone who shares that vein of very twisted desires and has likewise experienced terrible hardships in their life. I would like to connect with someone through writing, but also with the potential goal of developing that relationship and conversing on other topics, outside of role playing.

Someone who likes a story, something with action, adventure, character development, maybe romance if it comes to it. Someone who brings cards to the table that can resonate well with mine. If the story's good, I don't mind if there's smut or not (even though I'm mostly only into vanilla stuff).

The long and short of it is I'd like a partner who can craft a story with me that I'd willingly take time out of my day to reply to, like having your favorite food on a more often basis than usual.

Interesting ideas and an ability to engage me. No point in just having someone say "Yeah, sure, I'll play" umm what does that even mean? What are they wanting from the story and what are their ideas?

Someone who can post consistently as well and will stick with a RP.

Attention to detail and creativity.

I like providing details and I know people are probably involved in multiple roleplays but it is a bit of a bummer when certain things are overlooked or forgotten. It just makes me feel like my partner is losing interest, especially if they can’t remember MC’s name or even their own characters.

As for creativity, I enjoy modern roleplay settings but I’ve been wanting to branch out and start doing more fantasy and sci-fi roleplays to change things up. There is only so much you can do with modern roleplays imo.

1. Approachability. When seeking out a partner, that person will need to come off as being approachable. You can often tell the tone of someone in their writing style or for better; request style. Yes, this too can bounce off towards other former themes such as kinks and whatnot, but the core principal is a writer's general attitude. I am not sure how to fully define it in a sensible fashion; but there are 'vibes,' you can tell, especially if you been writing for a long time.
  2. Creativity. Sure, everyone has their fair share of it. No one needs to be a graphic artist or novelist; but I believe creativity needs a level of balance to it as well. Too much can be drowning. Not enough can be stagnating. Of course this may also vary between writer and writer; I like to look at myself as a type of 'in the middle' guy. I believe plots and concepts should contain a good basis and outline, but not be fully scripted to the letter. Same goes with general requests and group games. Why leave out possible elements of surprise when you and partner(s) already know what is going to happen ahead of time? A partner that can keep one on their toes, now that is a keeper. But for this to be accurately pulled off will also depend on both Partners personas. Also keep in mind I am not saying veer off in a complete 180 direction of an overall plot point; it can be as simple as finding alternative solution to a problem in a RP or just being 'f it, I'm not helping those villagers in trouble,' and then facing whatever consequences afterwards in play. (You know, how a survivor later recognizes your character(s) and calls them out for their cowardice to leave a village to burn and be destroyed. This is just a minor example and in my lifetime I only had two partners to pull out such dynamics along with more elements; naturally not on this site, but over my long course of RP and venturing to all sorts of communities.)
  3. Availability. Everyone lives busy lives; I know things can get hectic on my end from time to time. This can be taken as a reflection towards the first given point in list I made. I don't want to feel hassled in having to rush out any posts if life is a busybee and I am not the type to really pester or bother a partner into posting. Sometimes games go into a death state this way, but I tend to give a heads up if I am not feeling it or if my muse is being stubborn. Any who, some form of availability or expectations towards post frequency helps as well. I had games that was weekly base post. On another site I had games that was monthly base post. To me this is easily acceptable, though I know group games often demand more availability which makes them harder to approach.
  4. Neutrality. I usually mean this in a gender neutrality sense. Yes, I know everyone has their more 'fantasy' purposes in writing material of pairing Gender A with Gender B, that is all fine and dandy. I don't really think much of the person behind the screen; at a certain point of writing through the many years it really stopped mattering to me. This too can reflect once more to the first point is if they may or may not be approachable. Again, RL genders aside, everyone has their own tastes to content they prefer. I also understand it may be a large wall for some to get over; depending how long they been writing or just how they are as a person. But again, at some point it stops mattering of the gender identity of person behind the screen and the only thing is important is the literature written.
  5. Organization. Hum, well I don't hold everyone capable of such with requests. There been few people here I seen that were able in that regard. Though being capable to set up your thread in a manner to hyperlink to different sections within the thread of ideas is a plus in my book. I don't bother to do it myself with my requests(since my request page is just very simplified and open ended,) but in my worlds I build I do tend to hyperlink around. It doesn't really need to go to that extent. Just finding a simplified way to keep all your ideas organized and user-friendly can go a long way.

Whenever I see Canon written as Cannon, at best I'm going to make a joke about it and walk away, at worst I'm going to just not think twice regardless of how interesting the rest of the thread was. Tbh, if this comes up, it tends to correlate with something I don't go for anyways.

There's a lot more that I look for, but being able to make the distinction here is a massive starting bonus for me.

Communication — More in the brainstorming and plotting sense, because let’s face it, my mind works better when it’s playing now off of someone else. However, communication as in being friends isn’t scoffed at either, though I have learned that some people just aren’t into that all that much. So I tend to keep my distance unless told otherwise these days.

Literacy/Decent Grammar — I know, I know.....but it can be a matter of contention for me if I can’t understand a word you’re saying. Plain and simple. That doesn’t include the occasional slip up or autocorrection of course.....in fact, autocorrect is the bane of my existence and oft times I’d like to strangle the drunken little elf that controls it.....the little bastard!

Really those are the ones that matter the most. If you’ve got communication and a decent knowledge of the English language, the occasional autocorrect faux pa that we can giggle about from time to time and we’ll get along great.

Last edited:
Most definitely someone who is:

*Literate
*Able to do multi-paras
*Not purely RPing for smut
*Considerate of your personal play style
*Open-minded
*Does not force your character to do things
*A sincere RPer and not someone looking for more than that.

I have been having a most difficult time off-site finding someone who will not just jump straight into smut. 😅 I love world building and adventure, but it seems a lot of people only have one thing on their minds. 😋 Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But in a timely manner.

I have been having a most difficult time off-site finding someone who will not just jump straight into smut. 😅 I love world building and adventure, but it seems a lot of people only have one thing on their minds. 😋 Don't get me wrong, it's fun. But in a timely manner.

For me the lead up is so much more interesting than the sex. Once the sex happens or is about to happen the RP usually feels over for me unless there has already been a good story line built up and the characters (or me with my partner) have formed a solid bond, RP speaking.

I don't mind taking over when it comes to writing or doing the heavy lifting in plotting in a story. In that way, I'm not terribly picky. I don't need equal lifting like some people, so, mostly, I look for personality compatibility.

Articulate and emotionally stable. I like to feel like they're in charge of themselves, confident, and with a mature, balanced, and healthy view on life. Someone who is very laidback in tone and demeanor while also being open and friendly. I like them to be responsive to my ideas but also patient and casual as far as conversation and plotting OOC goes.

Some highlights might be a sort of dark/sadistic edge to their storytelling ideas(nothing too twisted but on the same wavelength as me when it comes to darker rp themes), and a willingness to gush over current dynamics/future plans without getting lost in over plotting. I like people who are simply fun to write with without making this hobby their entire life.

For me the lead up is so much more interesting than the sex. Once the sex happens or is about to happen the RP usually feels over for me unless there has already been a good story line built up and the characters (or me with my partner) have formed a solid bond, RP speaking.
I can definitely agree with that.

At this point of a story I'd consider the sexual part inconsequential and not a focus or ending point at all, just another step on the trail. Kinda seems like a counterthesis to me for sex to be the end of the tunnel to something which, from what I read, appears plot based in premise anyways.

At this point of a story I'd consider the sexual part inconsequential and not a focus or ending point at all, just another step on the trail. Kinda seems like a counterthesis to me for sex to be the end of the tunnel to something which, from what I read, appears plot based in premise anyways.

Depends on the plot. Sometimes the plot is more about the 2 characters dancing around each other or forming a bond, sometimes it really is about tease or denial or both. Other times of course sex is the goal of course and is the natural evolution of the plot. I'm not thinking in absolutes, I just prefer to go with what the story requires rather than throwing sexual intercourse in for the hell of it.

A plot can be sexual or erotic in nature without sex/intercourse ever happening.

I really like that, @Dirty Fingers . Those are my favorite kind of books to read too. I love the hot-cold dynamic, "will they, won't they?" tease. I like to establish an actual reason for the sex before pulling the trigger on it.

I really like that, @Dirty Fingers . Those are my favorite kind of books to read too. I love the hot-cold dynamic, "will they, won't they?" tease. I like to establish an actual reason for the sex before pulling the trigger on it.

For sure, I like twists and approaching what are possibly cliche ideas from different angles, the idea of a man visiting a brothel for the first time. He chooses a woman who is doing this for the first time she is nervous of course and so is he but for the first few sessions all they do is talk. Another fave is non penetrative sex, dry humping of some kind. Lots of other ideas as well. I just get bored if the characters are just going to fuck because they are horny and next post they fuck some more and well.. then they fuck again...

For sure, I like twists and approaching what are possibly cliche ideas from different angles, the idea of a man visiting a brothel for the first time. He chooses a woman who is doing this for the first time she is nervous of course and so is he but for the first few sessions all they do is talk. Another fave is non penetrative sex, dry humping of some kind. Lots of other ideas as well. I just get bored if the characters are just going to fuck because they are horny and next post they fuck some more and well.. then they fuck again...
I like that brothel idea. Still a little too sex focused for me(like they're in a brothel; the goal of the setting is to eventually get to the sex) but I like that idea of turning it on its head and slowing down the relationship first. Although I generally prefer a bigger story about something entirely different and sex happens as a consequence of the relationship being developed.

Agreed. Frottage is definitely a fav addition to an escalation towards penetrative sex. 👍

I like that brothel idea. Still a little too sex focused for me(like they're in a brothel; the goal of the setting is to eventually get to the sex) but I like that idea of turning it on its head and slowing down the relationship first. Although I generally prefer a bigger story about something entirely different and sex happens as a consequence of the relationship being developed.

Agreed. Frottage is definitely a fav addition to an escalation towards penetrative sex. 👍

Before any sex though there is lots of just chat sessions, maybe some sessions with some physical stuff but not much. I would prefer they start seeing each other outside of her work place thus making her break house policy. Anyway, stuff like that fascinates me. Like a world where sex slaves are legal and accepted and an abolitionist inherits one but shirks her trying to do what she has been trained to do.

So I just twist things up a lot, I like the discussions, the confusion and tension. Not fond of the simple stuff even if the premise itself is simple. Anyway, I just need more.

Back
Top Bottom