Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

So how did you get into RPing?

Started a couple of years ago on a whim, found my way to sites like F-list and RPC and it pretty much been a fun way to pass the time online. and pretty much been into ERP from the jump

IRC (Internet Relay Chat) in late 1990 or early 1991. Got onsite reports and didn't have to wade through US government or commercial news censors, of what was happening during the first Gulf War. It was pretty clunky back then, but the greatest drawback was bandwidth. No fiber optics, wireless routers/modems, and dialup, if I remember right, topped out at about 1200 baud. Tied up phone lines, too. IRC is where a lot of today's netspeak (ur, LOL, gr8, etc.) originated because of that low bandwidth - time wasn't money, it was information gridlock.

I downloaded and paid for a copy of mIRC with the understanding that one payment was good for all future updates. Khalid lied. When he decided to stop making useful updates and people stopped using it, he wiped out the data base with all the paid customers. A crash a couple years ago made me download a new copy and that's when I discovered the crime. Now I stick with free stuff, and if the creator's start charging I find something else free.

Not because I'm really excessively cheap, but because I don't like paying premium prices for mediocre stuff. I prefer value for my money. And I hate subscriptions. Ugh.

I won't pay or donate to forums and sites either. I feel many of them are poorly run and cliquey.

I don't see the value in paying.

I won't pay or donate to forums and sites either. I feel many of them are poorly run and cliquey.

I don't see the value in paying.

(y) (y)

The value is the product. I have used Corel Draw since the early 90's and upgraded every 5 or 6 years. Now the stand alone version isn't a complete version, so it's all subscription for $200/yr, a very poor value for me.

I haven't been using Blue Moon but about a week, but if it turns out to be valuable to me, and there is a campaign or Patreon page, etc, I would seriously consider donating. But not buy a subscription, and especially not as long as the majority of users thinks ghosting is acceptable.

I hqve been playing roleplaying games for a long time but I REALLY got into it by playing a MUD called Gemstone IV.

MUD stands for Multi User Dungeon, a entirely text based game. At first I thought it was really boring but when I put more effort and imagination into it I REALLYgot hopked into text roleplay.

But not buy a subscription, and especially not as long as the majority of users thinks ghosting is acceptable.

I have only been here a short time but in that time the 4 RP's I have started via PM have all been dropped/ghosted by my partners. In some cases I never received one response at all, at most I received one and that was it. I know this happens on other forums too and I might be going through an unlucky streak but it is rather telling. Perhaps people who prefer PM over Thread ghost more? Could be a pattern.

I ended up getting into RP (the platonic kind) when I picked up a Dungeons & Dragons Monster Manual at the local bookstore. I joined a local gaming group at a hobby shop and the rest is history.

As for ERP, I did an online chat once as a teenager but it was more of a one-off thing with an e-stranger as to anything serious. I ended up becoming an erotica aficionado much much later when I joined Elliquiy back in late 2011. I was of course quite nervous at first, but I never regretted it ever since!

I started RPing in AOL chat rooms. I joined a clan and well it just sorta took off from there. I found my first fourm RP in house of eros and it was also my first naughty :sneaky: rp too. I even RPed in high school with a journal where my friend and I would pass it back and forth between classes.

I started back in 1992 at Yahoo!Chat when there were still user-made rooms and no moderation to speak of. And where anything and everything seemed possible. A girl i talked on there took me into arguably one of the first ever RP sites (the name of it has long gone from my mind) and have been doing it ever since. Hopping from site to site, some I liked, some I hated. Had a few shorter and longer times away.

I have tried my hand on writing myself, but I am definitely not good enough a writer for that. I lack a lot of basic-skills, most definitely a basic in English (as it is my third language). My writing is at best (my own words) mediocre. There are never too much fancy words. I write as I think.

I literally stumbled upon the old White Wolf online RP chat rooms. I realized they were doing that "satan worshipping game", and eventually recognized V:tM terms that I remembered from the Kindred: The Embraced tv show. I just sort of free-formed until someone kindly pointed me towards the rulebooks.

An online friend introduced me to a chat room called The Buffy site which has long since died, I gradually migrated to forums. Think I stumbled upon this site in 2013, I took a break in 2015 then came back to it.

Last edited:
I feel a bit promiscuous about this after reading some of your posts but I got into roleplay because of the erotic side of things. I have always loved writing, but making characters going into interesting situations is so much fun especially if the situations are sexual. And watching adult videos doesn't do as much for me as a good roleplay so here I am!

Bored. Then saw "RP" as a channel on a discord server... the heck is that? Clicked and BAM instant addiction 4 eva

Funnily enough, it was on accident. I was 12 years old, bored out of my mind, playing on neopets, looking for new friends, and stumbled on someone talking about gaiaonline.com. Went to check it out, started looking around the different forums, and boom. Here we are, nearly 20 years later.

AOL chat rooms. Started as regular chatrooms for things I was interested in (stupid, kid stuff) and somehow expanded to a chatroom where people were telling stories.
Immediately, I wanted in. Back then, it was all very freeform. People just emoted in the chatroom and loosely formed a story.

I'd been writing before that, on my own. Silly things involving Vampires (I was introduced to Anne Rice very young) or Elves and whatnot. As my tastes for other media grew, so too did my desire to tell more types of stories.

And here I am, lol.

I have only been here a short time but in that time the 4 RP's I have started via PM have all been dropped/ghosted by my partners. In some cases I never received one response at all, at most I received one and that was it. I know this happens on other forums too and I might be going through an unlucky streak but it is rather telling. Perhaps people who prefer PM over Thread ghost more? Could be a pattern.

Could be, yet it can also be a notification problem or a multi partner issue. I prefer to rp on an instant messaging service as sometimes my mail won't tell me right away.

Other times could be an interest issue, maybe the rp became less interesting for the partner or perhaps they are trying to scratch their own itch... Or don't know how to reply and are too shy to admit it. The last one happens a lot to me :T

When i played a MMORPG some years ago (sry i dont remember the title), one of my guild members asked me to try and it became a long term RP over nearly a year... it was very interesting to me cause i dont really have the social skills for a RL relationship and i continued to RP...

I always used to be very imaginative and found out that I had a bit of passion for writing. I grew up sheltered, so fantasy and writing became my way of "exploring other worlds" if you will. I remember it started with a self-insert character while I was reading the Lord of the Rings and watching the movies... imagining another version of myself battling orcs alongside Gandalf, Aragon, and the like.

My first real RP experience was on another forum that was geared towards Warcraft roleplays. I made a post, got a response, and ended up playing long into the nights. I think I was a much better writer back then. I could typically write out a very detailed and thorough 2-3 paragraph response in under 6 minutes! Sadly life happened as it does, a lot of things changed, and I fell out of writing and RP for a very, very long time. I'm just now getting back into it and honestly hope to get myself back to the same level that I was at all those years ago.

It all started in the 90s when I started roleplaying by myself in my head. It was me, Minnie Mouse, Daisy Duck, and Princess Jasmine going on adventures.(Our folks had the Disney Channel at the time, and I was young).

Then I did roleplays with my first partner, my best friend Whirlwynd. She not only had her own original, but she also did fan stuff with Sonic, NiGHTS into Dreams, and other things. Back then, we wrote & drew on note cards before using a computer.

Speaking of computers, when I learn to type, I was shown a beautiful place to RP called Sailor Moon Chat on beseen.com. I love the smack out of it, and there were other RPs on beseen as well.

I've been bouncing back and forth between forums & IMs ever since, and I still do to this day. I haven't been able to find anyone to play as Minnie yet, though...*sigh*

Honestly, it started out as an itch for me. I needed to do something to occupy my mind after school, and I happened across the Roleplay section on Gaia Online. Years later, I hopped over to House Of Eros, then left the roleplaying and forum scenes for at least a year or two.
Now, I’m back, refreshed, and hoping to make myself a bit better, even in the slightest.

I found a random Inuyasha chatroom that had some RPing going on and from there I ventured into Gaiaonline. It's just branched out from there.

The local kids would come over to play with me and my siblings. Lots of pretend games. Won't say what age I had my first sexual pretend games or with whom. But I started playing online around age 12 on Yahoo chatrooms and NetMeeting. By 14 I was pretty skilled at it, both general and sexual. Looking back on it, I got into this stuff way too young.

Back
Top Bottom