Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Going Ghost! (Closed for Fetchbrake and Frogger)

Fetchbrake

Withdrawn
Withdrawn
The very first thought that crossed the youth’s mind was a very common thought he had, once he woke up.

‘Ah, yes. The sun. My mortal enemy. Had I the power, I would have slain you years ago. Until then, you win the battle...’

‘But you will NEVER win the war.’

Samuel Manson rose from his dark bed amongst his dark room, dark curtains and dark...pretty much everything. Yet no matter how many times he tried, the sun would always peak in and start his day with the sunniest, cheeriest way it knew how.

And he hated it. Oh, how he hated the sun. It was easily in the top three things he hated the most in this life. But alas, regardless of his feelings of seething distaste for the sun and all it represented; it was time to go to classes.

His clothing was simple and took a manner of seconds to put on properly. A pair of black jeans and a dark purple undershirt, followed by a black jacket, and a pair of black boots that went halfway up his calves. He looked into the mirror and stared for a moment, his eyes narrowing dangerously and his scowl deepening. He stared longer and longer, his eyes squinting a bit more before suddenly his expression relaxed.

“Perfect.”

Hey, it was a lot of effort to practice that trademark gothic scowl! Years it took! So, with his attire on and the day still young, he made his way out of the house, moving as quickly as he could with BOOTS on and made his way out the door.

Anything to get the hell away from his parents and their constant pestering of “liven up!”

His hands disappeared into his pockets for a moment, looking around before he pulled out a cell phone. Top of the line, it helped when your family was rich well beyond words and knew how to use it, and opened it. He scrolled through his contacts.

All two of them.

He stared at the picture used for that particular one, simply...staring for a moment before his lips curled into a little genuine smile.

Stupid dork. She was the only one who could make him smile like that...not that he’d ever let HER know.

He pressed the call button and he held the phone up to his ear, never stopping his stride as he stared down at the sidewalk, the sound of his boots crunching the concrete louder than the driving cars around them.

“Come on, come on, pick up.” He mumbled quietly. “You better not be JUST getting ready...”

And yet, he really...couldn’t blame her if she was? Being the only Ghost Hunter in the entire city of Amity Park often drove her into the ground due to sheer, pure exhaustion. Maybe she deserved the rest...

Beating Technus’ face in is always a pleasure… but at three in the morning? Not so much. Can’t he get with the program and take over the world AFTER breakfast? Seriously.

No, better yet: try to control technology after nine, and no later. Ally rubbed at an eye, too sleepy to care at this point. A cloud fell apart as she accidentally drifted through it instead of… well, anything else.

I swear, I’m gonna go on vacation one of these days.

Yeah. Right. As if that’s ever going to happen. Amity Park has a way of attracting ghosts, and of course… she has to handle the ghosts that manage to get through the Ghost Portal, while juggling college AND a double life. It’s definitely not easy. In fact? Just the opposite.

A hand rubbed over her face, as if that’ll help things. Nope. If anything, it made the world spin a little. Greeeat. Let’s just hope the parents are still asleep, so she doesn’t have to deal with their crazy ghost… stuff. Ugh. Ally can only take so much before she’s ready to explode.

Back in her room, Ally changed back into her usual self and collapsed into bed. Black hair spilled out over the dark blue blanket as she rolled over onto her side. Maybe she’s got enough time to close her eyes for a few minutes before she has to head back out… Dozing off after a couple of minutes, it was nice and quiet… that is, until her phone rang. In an instant Ally had jumped to her feet, fists raised, like she’s expecting a fight. It took her tired brain a minute or two until she realized she doesn’t need to.

“That’s… it!” she cried out in pure frustration. “Who the hell is calling me at-?!”

Oh. Wait. It’s Sam. Of course it’s Sam. Who else would it be? It’s not like she’s got an entourage of friends to call on if she wants to hang out and be normal for once. Besides. He’s probably calling to check and see if she’s up yet. Ally groaned, sitting back down and kicking her feet out.

“Hey,” she said as a way of greeting. “I’m up, I’m up. Just give me a few, and I’ll be right out. ‘Kay?”

It was short and sweet, but to the point. Ally hung up on him, just to groan all over again. “Well. It’s not like I have to do much to get ready,” she told the resulting silence… not that it’ll answer back. “I just have to change, splash my face, and drag myself out of here.” Yay. It sounds like fun~! Not.

Ally sighed and made her aching body move, heading on over to her closet so she can pull out an exact replica of the shirt she’s already got on.

Not even ten minutes later, Ally’s slinging on a dark blue jacket and stuffing her feet back into her shoes. Luckily she’s learned a trick or two about hiding black circles under her eyes over the years using concealer… otherwise, she’d look awful.

Huh. It looks like everybody’s out already. Weird... How often do Mom and Dad get out of the house? It’s one thing if it’s Jazz, but… their lives revolve around ghosts.

Whatever. None of her business. Ally pasted on a smile once she was out in the public eye, lifting a hand to offer a weak wave. “Morning, Sam,” she spoke up, trying not to come across as tired as she feels. “I’m sorry if I kept you waiting.”

Both hands buried deep into her pockets, Ally began leading the way down the sidewalk. It’s way too bright out. There’s a bit of a chill in the air, telling her that winter’s just around the corner. Ugh.

“I soo need a cup of coffee,” Ally announced right then and there. “I was up late last night fighting ghosts, and then at three this morning, I had to battle it out with Technus. I don’t think I can function without something to help me out. You in?” Bright blue eyes glanced over his way, a smile spreading from ear to ear.

When she answered her phone and snapped, Sam knew it was because she'd just managed to get into bed and pass out for a grandstanding time frame of maybe 4 minutes, 6 if the universe was kind. He didn't even get a chance to get a word in edgewise, so all he did was let her explain herself and clicked the phone shut a moment later.

So, the hard part was over. Now the easy part of just putzing around and waiting for her to come out, complaining about coffee, because their lives had become routine at this point.

The pity he felt for Ally was impalpable. He couldn't imagine what it was like...well, he could, but only from one half of the situation. While he and their third friend, Tammy, had been with Ally since the very beginning of the whole "ghost hunting" business, it was hard to say they knew her pain when they couldn't exactly turn into a ghost and fly around and punch, get punched, and lose endless hours of school as a result of it.

Anyone would suffer! But dammit, if Sam didn't think she was the bravest person he'd ever met and deserved so much more than what she was getting. It got to the point he felt bad that he couldn't do more than what he could do which was, occasionally throwing one of her parents new toys at her for a fight or offer emotional support.

Which got all the more painful when Tammy left to go backpacking across Europe, in a quest to "find herself" but some greedy part of Sam figured she did it to get away from the ghost stuff and just...live life.

Well, thankfully for the trio, Sam had no life, wanted no life, and would be more than happy being a hollow, shallow, soulless husk in which he could offer assistance to one of his best friends.

The sound of the door opening turned his attention back and from the sheer exhaustion on his face, he realized this may have been a rough day. She explained the situation and he felt his pity only grow and rise from there.

Shoot, if all he could do was offer up a cup of hot coffee, then that'd just be what he could do then, huh?

"Sounds like a plan." He said with a little smile and dug out his credit card, Platinum Gold Ruby Plus tier. "My treat. Lord knows you don't need to look like more death than you already do, being half ghost."

“Seriously? Do I look that bad?” Ally thought she looked halfway decent, considering, but if she looks like ‘death’... ooh, great. A groan crawling up her throat in a desperate attempt at freedom, she let her head fall back, her feet drag. “Man, I knew I should’ve stayed in bed this morning. I just had a gut feeling. Thanks, Sam. Thanks for confirming the fact I look like absolute hell.”

Hey, at least she can count on him for the cold, hard facts. Sam can’t fight ghosts, but he’s always got her back. Ally groaned and started gathering her hair up off her neck, as if that’ll help things any. Yeah. Right.

“I just wish these guys could give me a break every now and then. It’d be nice to sleep in.” A chuckle slipped free before she could do anything about it, just to dissipate on a cool, refreshing morning breeze. “Hell, I’d love to have a life outside of ghost hunting. I can’t remember the last time we sat down and watched a movie together, dude.” Ally let her hair slip between her fingers, only to throw her hands up into the air. “Do you?” Blue eyes looked over, just to connect with violet.

And… of course, her heart flipped over inside her chest at the sight. It was almost impossible to hide the fact she’s blushing, too. Why’d Tammy have to go off to Europe and leave her alone with Sam-?! Huh? Don’t get her wrong, she loves him, and she loves the fact that Tammy’s exploring the world, but… it just makes things like, ten times weirder.

“Think about it. I mean… I seriously can’t remember the last time we hung out, and… we weren’t interrupted by ghosts.” Ally offered a weak smile, just to chuckle half a heartbeat later, stuffing her hands into her pockets.

Uh oh. Does this sound like she’s trying to ask him out? What if Paul hears and gets the wrong idea?! “What are my chances of… that coffee, and a bite to eat?” Ally’s blue eyes looked over his way, just for the girl to flash him a bright smile.

“How much time do we got before class starts?” Ally used this opportunity to stretch her arms high above her head, a groan rumbling deep in the back of her throat in the meantime. “I don’t think we’re running late.” A hand began to rub her neck.

Man, she’s sore! In fact, she hurts all over, but that’s not totally out of the ordinary. As Amity’s Park crime fighter, of course she’ll have it rough.

“Come on, let’s hurry on over to that cafe you and I both like,” Ally told him, stealing his hand when he least expects it so she can tug him along. “If I don’t get my coffee in the next two minutes, I’m gonna go ghost and start terrorizing everybody who looks at me the wrong way.”

"Yes, Ally, this is absolutely the right response to have in a town where people fear you and your parents want to dissect you 'molecule by molecule.'" Sam spoke loudly and obnoxiously, putting on a certain air of dramaticness to mimic her father. After listening to her parents prattle on and on and on and on about the horrible things they intended to do the first ghost they captured, it ran on his already legendarily thin patience.

Thankfully, as she already stated, they weren't running all that late, and thankfully the cafe had been cleared out of any students who, ambitious in their early years, wanted to get to class as soon as possible and get started on the day.

Sam pitied them by default. The cruelty of the world had yet to smack them in the head just yet, but when it did...oh. He couldn't wait to see it.

...Bit of a cynic but what can you do.

So thankfully, not only was the line non-existent, but the wait time was even less so. Sam bought it for both of them, of course, because if he didn't have an insane amount of money, what was the point if he didn't use it to buy coffee and the occasional lunch every once in a while?

Not like he was gonna use it for anything else.

"But I was thinking a lot about what you said." he said, as casually as he could as he took a sip of his drink and letting the bitterness run down his throat.

Black. Like his soul.

"We should just...find a veg day. Something for you and me to do. No ghosts, no danger, no major perils, no-"

"Whoops." An elbow suddenly struck out and smacked right into Sam's elbow as well, suddenly sending the scalding hot liquid all over the entire front of his shirt. And it was hot, oh BOY was it hot.

Paul grinned a not so subtle grin and nudged Sam in the side, the gothic youth twitching his right eye to keep from howling in discomfort. "Sorry about that, buddy! Didn't see you there, you just kinda blended in with the background!"

Despite the background being bright fucking blue.

"Hey, accidents happen, you know?" Paul asked, arms crossed and flashing a grin with far too much teeth. His attention turned to Ally, and he cast a wink. "Hey there."

An exasperated roll of her eyes and an amused smirk was all Ally could muster. How many times has she heard the same old speech? A million times? Two million? It’s definitely way too many to count. Hell, Ally’s childhood and developmental years were nothing but memories of her parents chasing after ghosts, not to mention neglecting their daughter and son on a daily basis. As totally sad as it is to admit, Ally can’t remember the last time she’s had a home-cooked meal. How pathetic is that?

Thankfully the cafe was empty, so they don’t have to deal with anybody holding up the line. Ally cradled her coffee between her palms, letting it cool off a little while they went to take a seat nearby. Of course Sam prefers his black, but she didn’t hesitate to snatch the sugar and pour a good bit in. Let him be bitter. This is only way she can be nice to anybody before noon.

“Hm?” Dark blue eyes glanced over his way, just for a tilt of her head to follow. “You’ve been thinking, huh? You know how dangerous that is,” she couldn’t resist teasing, a grin stretching from ear to ear.

Way too easy. He just left himself wide open for that one.

“I know, I know,” Ally replied on a laugh, eyes sparkling mischievously even with the droll glare thrown her way. “As you were saying?” A hand gesturing that he carry on, Ally went to finally take a sip of her coffee… that is, until an elbow struck out, splashing Sam’s coffee all down the front of his shirt. Ooh… that had to hurt worse than Skulker’s special tech!

“Sam!” Ally cried out, just about immediately jumping to her feet.

Doesn’t it figure that the one guy who’d go out of his way to make Sam look like a klutz… happens to be the hottest guy in high school and in college, combined. What are the odds of encountering him this early in the morning?!

No, here’s a better question: is there any way to make it happen more often?

Moving on. Ally froze with a napkin crumpled in her hand, red rising to her face in just seconds. “H-Hi, Paul…”

Uh oh. Look away. NOW. Heat licking the tips of her ears now, Ally went to blot up what she can of the coffee. Hey, at least Sam’s wearing black, so… even if he doesn’t go home and change, nobody will notice.

“You okay?” she asked her best friend, concern slapped all over her face. It was scalding hot… and if he got burned because of this… Ally shoved the idea aside for now, instead deciding to focus on the present instead of the possibilities.

“I can fly to your place and grab a shirt out of your closet?”

Everything Sam owns is black, so it’s not like it’d be hard to pick something. Ally can fly there and back real quick, but she’d have to explain how she did it… and of course she can’t say she ran, or that the bus was actually running on time for once.

Back
Top Bottom