Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures on the Lost Continent (Midnight Lass x Blood Red Romeo)

“That’s good to hear,” he replied. If she didn’t see anyone suspicious, he assumed they were safe. Though he was still a bit worried about a potential murderer around them, but at least they were clear so far.

“Do you think I handled the Eddie situation appropriately? I know you didn’t like him from our one encounter with him, but do you also think I might have been going to far?”

Miharu frowned. "Eddie needed to be neutralized, and it was good planning to ensure Saki were present to neutralize any reinforcements he brought along. Better planning would have been to assign Saki and I to neutralize him. With respect, Captain," Mihara continued, "Myself and Saki are more capable than you in such situation. Your strength is to command the situation, and to allow your weapons to face your enemy."

Miharu's face took on a pensive nature as she added, "I wish to express myself respectively, but thoroughly, Captain. I hope I have done so."

Orson thought carefully on what she said. In the end, he came to his conclusion. “Don’t worry, you were thorough and gave me the opinion I asked for. I want you to feel free to be honest with me,” he started. “As to Eddie, you’re right. I should have entrusted you with it. There were two reasons I didn’t. Eddie is from my past, and I know him. I guess I had this sense that taking care of him was my responsibility, as silly as that may sound. The second and more important reason was in regards to you and Saki,” he continued, looking straight to the Japanese girl. “I never want you to think I’m using you for your strength or abusing your faith in me. If the situation ever came about again that I needed to ask you to kill someone for me, I wanted you to know that it was someone I would be willing to kill myself.” It almost sounded silly in an incredibly grim way to say it out loud, but it was honest. “Does that make sense?”

"Hai!" Miharu answered with a nod. "Do not worry, Captain. Each of us has a strength, and it is not used, it is contributed. We do not use your strength of command, but we rely on it, as you rely on the strength of myself and Saki."

“I’ll keep that in mind. Though when it comes to sniping, I hope you’ll trust me. I can promise you that I’ll watch your back,” he said with a smile. “But I’ll rely on you Miharu. And on Saki.” That’s when Orson went a bit red, thinking back to earlier. “Umm, did Saki tell you what...uh...happened earlier when she was here?”

"Just that you hugged her and fondled her breasts," Miharu said happily. "You have hugged me before, but not touched my breasts yet. Do you want to, Captain?"

Once again, Miharu’s bluntness took him by surprise. He also wondered if Saki mentioned the fact that they kissed. Though judging by how open these cousins were, he could only guess so.

“Yes, I do,” he replied, turning a bit red. “I want to hug you, touch you, and kiss you. But I need to know, do those things not have the same meaning in Japan that they do here?”

"Kissing is a Western tradition, but it looks enjoyable," Miharu answered. "But neither Saki or I have allowed a man to hug us before you. And you are the first person to touch Saki's breasts." Miharu paused, before shyly adding, "Saki's breasts are larger than mine. Do you think you would enjoy touching mine as much as you did hers?"

“I would,” he replied quickly, taking a step closer to her. “I mean, it’s not just about size. Shape, feel, it’s all important,” he started to ramble, the perverted mind of the virgin that he was going off. Then he regained focus. “But the most important thing is that it’s you. I don’t want to touch your breasts because they’re beautiful, I want to touch you. Because, um, well,” he was trying to find the words, channeling her honesty. “I like you Miharu and I’m attracted to you. And maybe, when we pass whatever Safa has warned us about, I’d like to become lovers with you.” Yep, definitely awkward. But true. “But I don’t want to force you into anything. I just want to tell you my thoughts.”

"Oh, you cannot force me, Captain," Miharu giggled. "I could easily thrash you in a contest. But I would not wish to do so. I am very fond of you. And I would like you to explore my body." Before Miharu could say anything else, the intercom came on with a series of Japanese words.

Miharu answered the intercom with Japanese, and got a reply in Japanese.

"Captain," Miharu said, turning to the Captain. "Saki said something unusual is happening on the docks."

Orson could’ve cursed when the intercom crackled to life. He too would’ve loved to explore her. But that was clearly something for another time. “We’ll continue this later,” Orson replied, heading out the door to his quarters, gesturing for Miharu to follow. He was heading to the door by the docks. “Did Saki say what was happening?”

"Yes," Miharu said, pushing her Captain out of the way and taking the lead. "She said something is happening on the docks. You must listen when I tell you things, Captain," Miharu said, gently chastising Orson.

When they got to the door to the gangway leading down to the docks, Saki gave a polite bow to Miharu and Orson. The usual crowds on the docks were moving about their normal bustling fashion, but there were angry shouts amidst the crowd. Nothing organized, and nothing aimed in one general direction. It just seemed as if there was an undercurrent of tension running through the people of the docks that was putting people on edge.

Saki pointed to something in the distance. At the edge of the crowd, at the point where the docks led into the general city, a barely noticeable haze could be seen to be growing.

Orson decided not clarify that he meant what was happening on the docks. Not enough time to argue semantics. When they arrived, he couldn’t help but stare at the haze with confusion. Something was happening, but he didn’t know what. “Miharu, Saki, I want you to make sure everyone is on board and ready to leave at a moment’s notice,” he said, a bit worried. He reacted for the intercom by the intercom by the door and pressed it. “Safa Basta and a translator are needed at the starboard entrance,” he said into the device as he watched cautiously.

“Make it shorter if you can,” he replied. He remained focused on the situation outside. If something was going on, he was going to be ready. He gingerly reached into his coat, feeling the revolver that was there. If the situation called for it, he’d use it.

The crowd below seemed unaware of the haze, but it was definitely reacting to it. More and more fights began breaking out in the crowds.

Safa made it to the entryway in seven minutes, but was accompanied by Tamra rather than Ayisha Motwani.

"I was heading to the bridge when I ran into Doctor Motwani, and I took Safa from her. What the devil is that?" Tamra asked, pointing to the encroaching haze.

“Your guess is as good as mine,” he answered. “Whatever it is, it seems to make people angry. Fights have been breaking out around the docks, but no one seems to notice it. I was hoping Safa might have an explanation.”

Safa stared at the growing haze and shook her head.

"She says that she suspects that the haze is being created by whoever originally created our wasp," Tamra translated, "And it might be a good idea to depart now."

“I’ll agree with that,” he replied, reaching over to the intercom. “All preparations have been completed. Departure is imminent. If there is any need to delay, report it immediately. Otherwise, prepare for take off.”

Orson moved towards the bridge after making sure the door was closed. Whatever that was, he was pretty sure it was in the air, and luckily the ship was tightly sealed for flight. They had time, but he’d rather not take his chances. Once he was at the bridge, he moved to the helmsman station and began to make preparations. Switches were flipped, buttons were pressed, and the engine began to come to life.

For possible the first time since they had arrived on the ship, the twins were split in different parts of the ship, with Ninah at the navigator's seat next to Orson, and Cimonah down in engineering. Lauren Evans was nervously seated at the engineering position, ready to relay communications to and from the Midnight Curse's engineering section, and Luisa sat at the Analytical Engine input/output station. Tamra was leaning over the communication console, listening to the radio-telegraphy through one ear of a headset. She signaled something back before telling Orson, "Dock said we're cleared to depart. In fact, they suggest we hurry. Civil unrest on the docks for unknown reasons."

"All our cables and moorings are released, Captain," Lauren reported. "Cimonah says engine readouts are optimal."

"I'm feeding suggested heading and wind speeds to your station, Captain," Ninah added.

It had been a wild ride. Days ago, Orson James had been a man with a dream and a ship. He had been rejected repeatedly and on the verge of losing hope. But then a single friend pushed him in the right direction. With his help, he got his first crew member. From there, it had snowballed. Now, he had assembled a crew of some of the finest minds in the City, all ready to take on whatever challenges the Lost Continent had to throw at them. It had already been crazy with more than a few bumps and several unanswered questions. Who was the interloper that brought Bianca to them? Was Brynhild connected to the Lost Continent, or was it just a coincidence? What of the mysterious woman in the crowd? Was she Eddie’s murderer, or were the two unrelated? And what lay past Graveyard Pass? He was ready to claim the day and find the answers, no matter what happened. After all, he had his crew on his side.

“All clear. The Midnight Curse is taking off,” Orson said to the assembled crew. He made the final few commands, causing the ship to begin to move. Slowly, the ship ascended into the air, moving away from the growing crowd below. It was a less than triumphant departure, but it was a departure. His mood was dampened by the civil unrest below, but he didn’t want to show that. This was a celebration.

The ship shook a little as he adjusted to the new weights and controls that had been added by his on board geniuses. But soon he figured it out and they stabilized. Eventually, the initial takeoff bugs were worked out, and the ship began to slowly and smoothly ascend, leaving the City behind them. He hoped Herald’s Point would be fine. It was his crew’s home, and he intended to take them back.

“Attention,” he said into the intercom. “This is Captain James. We are airborne.”

"Captain," Tamra said excitedly from her communication. "It's Miharu. She's looking out the observation porthole at the starboard entrance. She's asking if we can come around and hold fifty feet above the docks."

“Making the turn,” he said, adjusting the controls. He had taken to this new setup like a fish to water. It all made sense to him, many of the controls filling gaps that he had always noticed and several he hadn’t. Within a minute, they had moved around into the requested position.

The ship was now looking down at the docks, which had devolved into a full blown riot. Save for one small part near the water, which was preternaturally calm. The haze which had started near the edge of the dock looked to be slowly moving toward the calm spot.

"Captain, we have a maintenance hatch opening on the bottom," Lauren said, pointing to a light on her panel.

"That would be Miharu and Saki," Tamra advised. "I'm not sure what they're up to, Captain. Miharu said they needed a couple of minutes, but she didn't have time to explain."

“Give them the time they need,” he announced. “Maria,” he said, pressing the intercom. “Move to the starboard maintainence hatch. Report on developments and assist as needed.” Maria was physically fit, worked with Miharu and had certainly faced tense situations like this in the past. Plus, she was essential for running the bridge. “Stay safe,” he added.

Back
Top Bottom