Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

One Piece: Exploring The New World (LadyAthene & Silverknight)

LadyAthene

Supernova

For Tashigi, a good majority of her life had been somehow linked with the Marines. From serving as Smoker's ensign to climbing up the ranks. The now twenty-three found herself unable to help but smile as she tilted her head back, knowing she had figuratively and sometimes literally pulled herself from the deepest depths of Hell just to better herself.

... Fine. Never literally, though sometimes it has felt like it ...

Which, after all the young Captain had been through thus far, was indeed a fair assumption.

Her eyes closed as she laid back in the small boat, opting to take a break instead of rowing. It wasn't like she was on a deadline, anyway.

And, quite frankly, she was still rather irked at Smoker.
***​
"Mystoria Island?" Tashigi had repeated, unable to help but tilt her head as she watched Smoker give her an affirmative nod along with a map.

"We need someone to go scout it out. It has yet to be charted by any Marine or Government-affiliated person. I want you to take up this job."

Tashigi had damn well nearly choked after hearing that request. Instead of actually going through with that, she clenched her fists, causing the map to crumble up slightly as she shot her mentor of sorts an infuriated glare. "Me?! Why the hell me?! I'm better than this, Smoker! I can do more than just --- !!"

"Vice Admiral, Tashigi-san. And I'm not doubting your capabilities. However, we're short on people as it is. I can't just be picky about whom I ask to do this."

"You could ask Mihawk," Tashigi quipped, rolling her eyes at her own suggestion, "If the man's so damn bored, this'll definitely give him something to do."

Instead, she was met with a deadpan look which hinted Tashigi wasn't about to get Smoker to change his mind.

"Fine! Fine!"

Tashigi threw her hands up so they were parallel to her head before letting them fall back to her side.

"But I don't like this! Not one bit!"

***​
The talk had happened two and a half days ago. Granted, while Smoker had allowed Tashigi to leave with some basic supplies as well as her sword, Shigure, it didn't change her overall attitude.

Hence why she had closed her eyes and - well - tried to think on the more positive things that had happened.

Like her being promoted to captain, for example. All the foes she'd gone against and managed to hold her own against. Roronoa Zoro and Trafalgar D. Water Law to name a few.

... Alas, what started out to be a good idea quickly began to get worse with each passing second.

Both men had somehow infuriated her in their own forms and fashions. And the more she thought about them, the tighter her fists clenched. Her knuckles were a bright white hue; so much so that it was a miracle she wasn't making her palms bleed with how deep her fingernails were trying to dig through her skin.

"The hell with it ... " she muttered, sighing as she opened her eyes and stared out furiously at the seemingly endless, vast sea. Another defeated sigh passed her lips as she reached down and grabbed the wooden oars.

"Row row row your boat in-fucking-deed," she muttered, moving her head from side to side. "Damnit, Smoker. You could have at least let me take a few of my men from the G-5 squad to help me out with this. Fuck you sometimes. Ugh."

Of course, she hadn't been able to say that to his face. As much as Smoker annoyed her sometimes, she did still respect him as her superior. It was tradition for one. But two - and the more important point - was Tashigi had a sense of respect and honor that few people, women for that matter, held nowadays.

Thus even when the most irritating people crossed her path, she still followed customs and gave them whatever bit of respect they did deserve, no matter how much or little that may amount to.
***​
It took two more slow and very painful hours. But finally, Tashigi's small life boat bumped against the sandy beach.

"Thank gods," she murmured, panting as her head fell atop her kneecaps. She stayed in place, allowing herself to regain lost oxygen and give her arms a reprieve.

A good two to three minutes passed before Tashigi stood up. At her left side was her blade. Attached to the opposite hip was a satchel which held the supplies she took with her, including rations, beli, and her book which had a list of all the Meito and blades that were known about throughout the world.

.... Doesn't look like much ... the twenty-three year old captain mused after quickly glancing around.

But if push comes to shove, you have new techniques, including some Rokushiki abilities. You're not weak ... no. Scratch that. You never have been.

In her mind and eyes, some very sexist - or at least fucked up version of Karma and Fate combined - had been stalking her, forcing Tashigi to end up against the worst possible opponents.

Not now though.

This time around, she wouldn't lose.

Or, if she would, it would definitely not be as easily as it had been in the past. At least that was her hope. And damnit all, if nothing else, Tashigi was determined. She usually kept her promises, heard or otherwise, and usually went through with them.

If Smoker's putting this much faith in you ... don't make him or yourself look like a fool ...

Tashigi nodded firmly to herself. Now that she'd found her final goal and sense of resolve, she stepped off and finally stepped on the new, unmapped island.

" ... Still doesn't look like much but ... let's see what this Mystoria has to offer ... "

The Heart Pirates arrived at Mystoria Island a good place to stay while the log pose was reset for the next destination that would be ahead of them. They were under the water at the moment, the yellow submarine moving quickly under the surface of the water. Inside of the sub, the captain of the ship was sitting leaning back with his feet on table, waiting for the arrival of the ship. He figured he should head into the island, he should figure out what was there, and if there was anything he could learn by going into the island. He looked up and saw Bepo and Jean relaxing nearby. He figured he could have Jean watch the ship while they got to the island, and he could go onto the island with Jean and perhaps someone like Penguin with him. He wasn't sure what to expect, this place as a mystery, even his former status as a warlord didn't get him any real information about the island.

He had recently completed one of his life dreams the defeat of Donflamingo, and the end of his pirate group. Yet, he knew that meant that things were going to get more tense and troublesome for himself and his ally Straw Hat. He had to go carefully into the future, and work to achieve other dreams of his. He had to figure out how to strengthen his hand in this game to try to find the one peice and become king of the pirates. He knew he had rivals even his ally, and well friend, Straw Hat. He would have to get stronger, he wasn't the one who defeated Donflamingo, that had been Luffy, not him. He had a role but he had to work to get stronger and improve his hand in this world. If nothing else to uphold his side of the alliance with all of the straw hats, the crew of miracles as he saw them.

Getting up to his feet, he looked at the charts of the island and looked though the periscope that was in front of him. He wondered if the island was in site yet. He moved the sub up to periscope depth. Looking out, he saw the weather changing before him from a blue sky to a red and then dark black sky, a horrible storm was coming towards them, as he looked on, he knew that it was best to surface the sub till after the storm had pasted them by, he moved the submarine to a safe depth as they moved, he then moved in, toward the island, arriving a while later after the blunt of the storm had pasted the island. Law looked at the group who was gathering, his crew. "Now, I am going to head out, the island has been hit, by storm so if anything big has happened, they will be to focused on that to notice me," he reasoned as he looked at Bepo and Jean, "the two of you are in charge of the ship while I am away, don't let it get sunk while I am gone," he said in his normal blunt fashion.

The first ten to fifteen minutes of wandering and looking for something - anything, really - only seemed to strengthen Tashigi's beliefs. Despite its name, it seemed there wasn't much mysterious at all about this Mystoria Island.

"Oh the fucking irony," she muttered, scoffing in annoyance as she rolled her eyes before sighing softly. "Well .... damn. I should have made a bet with Smoker before leaving that this would result in finding literally nothing."

It would have been clear if anyone else were around that the young Marine captain definitely had no intention of letting her superior forget of that moment. She would be irked with him for quite some time and it would be an honest to gods miracle if anyone could make her change her mind.

While that didn't shift, a breeze caused her to glance up. Her brows furrowed as Tashigi raised a hand and pushed her red-rimmed glasses up. She didn't specialize in meteorology; however, she didn't need to in order to see a storm was definitely coming.

"Yay," she sarcastically mused, lowering her head as she shifted from a casual walk to a brisk jog that barely avoided turning into a full-fledged run.

Shelter ... that needs to be the first thing you find ...

... Was there even one here? It didn't look like such things had ever been used, let alone known about. That possibility made her grip her lower lip. She could build one but it would suck doing such a task alone. Her sword had a sharp blade, naturally. But therein laid the problem of making a shelter, regardless how big or small, that much more tedious.

... Hopefully it won't come down to that ...

As if some unseen deity was eavesdropping on her thoughts, there it was. A half-assed shack that appeared to have been made some time ago. It wasn't perfect by any means. But it had a foundation, support, and even windows.

"Phew," Tashigi sighed, switching back to her more normal pace as she entered the hut. It had the bare essentials, which made her unable to raise an eyebrow. A bathroom, kitchen, what was likely a living room, and even bedroom with a single, large bed were the only rooms here.

"Who used to be here?" she pondered, only to hear her mind quickly quip.

You sure you wanna find that answer out?

She waved her hand through the air before deciding first and foremost, there was something more vital than discovering the origins of this home. Food. Due to having to row for so long by herself, she hadn't been able to eat much.

Now that there was plenty of time and opportunities, though, Tashigi fully intended to change that and make it work for her.

Taking a seat on the nearby couch, she opened the satchel and pulled some slices of bread that had been kept in a plastic bag to prevent them from going bad. Slowly, the Marine began to nibble. Her tense body steadily relaxed before she finally allowed herself to plop against the couch. She even went so far as to let her muscles loosen up.

It wasn't something she usually permitted, letting one's guard down was incredibly foolish for a swordswoman - let alone Marine such as herself - to do.

However, Smoker did seem to be correct about one thing in regards to Mystoria.

Save for herself, it truly did seem to be unoccupied.

So, at least for now, she would allow her guard to be slightly - but definitely not completely - lowered.

Law got to the deck of the submarine and then looked over the island, it was easy to tell that this place had to be empty, which was fine then it mean that he wouldn't have any problems from the island at least and he could head ashore himself. He looked over at Bepo, "Now, I will be back in a while, we have to wait till the log pose resets anyhow, I am going to go exploring, keep track of the ship and make sure that nothing bad goes down, if something is up, make sure to call me as soon as possible. I will make my way back as fast as I can," he informed Bepo who nodded his head in reply showing him that he understood what was being asked of him. Not that Law was worried, he had trusted them before to handle this ship when he went with Luffy and his crew and it came out perfectly fine.

He got on the boat and waved to the others who were still on and then took it ashore, it was still wet everywhere, but he knew that this was cause of the storm that had pasted them by. He moved though the woods quietly heading around, the isolated island wanting to find where if anything was on this island. It was curious to think that this island was visited by people but no one stayed, it was a way point and nothing else it would seem. A place to stop over at the natural harbor before heading towards the next island ahead of this one. He walked towards a building that he caught sight of from a distance. He picked up his pace as he was curious what was there. The building looked like it had been made by one of those who came by, he figured by someone who got left on the island and had to wait for the next boat to get off the island.

He walked up to the island looking though the door, as he did he saw something, someone, was the person still in the cabin. He put his hand on his sword and then thought about how he had to be ready for a fight. This could be a friend or a foe as he moved he opened the door and then saw her, the marine swordswoman in the room, his sword was out fast as he looked right at her. "What the hell are you doing here," he asked his voice loud as he looked at the dark haired woman who was resting on the couch, "Where is your unit and your superior right now," he asked knowing that he might have more then her to deal with and knowing this could be some type of trap that she was using to trip up anyone coming to this island, though that didn't even sound right when he thought it to himself. He was curious why she of all people happened to be in this shack on this lonely island maybe revenge, maybe something else, who knew. "The kids were you able to get them to help," he asked curious remembering her promise to watch out after them.

The bread was quickly consumed and soon after, Tashigi felt herself beginning to nearly drift off. Numerous flashbacks - good, bad, or otherwise - flooded her mind as her eyes stayed closed, her muscles steadily relaxing with each second that ticked away. Punk Hazard -- that isle had been full of many adventures and memories. There were an equal amount of those she wanted to forget and those that she wanted to remember.

One that fell under the latter had been saving the children whom had been enslaved, manipulated, basically brain washed.

... Why did you feel so obligated, anyway?

As an only child whom hadn't been raised by the best of parents, Tashigi very likely came off as the last person whom would bother helping out children. The easiest answer came in the form of her morale compass, which had screamed for her to help them out. Deep down though, she knew that wasn't it.

... Do you ... want some of your own?

The rhetorical inquiry made her blush slightly. Maybe. It wasn't an impossible thought. Actually being able to do that, however, was a very different story, more so now that she was a captain with the Marines. There were just too many chores and obligations to worry about and not enough time to focus on herself, let alone finding anyone who would want to start a family as well.

Besides ....

That was as far as she got before a familiar voice made her eyes quickly shoot open.

"What the hell are you doing here,"

No ...

Sure enough though, there he was. In the doorway - with his own blade drawn - was none other than Law himself. A frustrated growl passed her lips as she stood up and unsheathed Shigure. Rather than moving forward though, she took a step back. His range with his ROOM technique was ... insane. She'd already learned that first hand once; she had no intentions of seeing if he had worked on that or not.

"Me?!" she repeated, rolling her eyes as she kept her own sword held out in front of her, "That ... fine! It doesn't matter but if you really must know, I'm here on Marine business. What of you, hm?! What the the hell are you doing?!"

Her eyes narrowed as Law continued to bombard her with questions. Apparently, just the simple 'why are you here?' wasn't good enough for him.

"Where is your unit and your superior right now,"

"I don't have to answer to you," she spat back. "I gave you one freebie already. That's all you're getting from --- "

Then, of course, he found the perfect inquiry to toss over to her. It was the only thing she would even consider replying to.

"The kids were you able to get them to help,"

"Yes," Tashigi answered quickly. The faintest of smiles - a very proud one, at that rate - began to spread over her face. "Yes, I did. They're alright now. I made sure no situations like the one we got them out of will ever happen again."

Her head shook as the captain's mind made her remember whom she was talking to. She waited silently for his answer. But before Law could explain himself, a new noise made Tashigi's head turn. A violent crash of lightning and thunder landed on the island. Her brows furrowed as she watched the light flash through the sky before sighing and turning back to Law.

"We may as well call it a truce for now. There's no way you're going to create enough ROOMs out there and avoid getting struck. Besides, this may be the only shelter on the island. It was the first I found anyway. Either way, I'm not risking ruining this shelter by fighting you in it. Fair?"

How was this going to go down, he looked at the dark haired swordswoman and knew that he could win, but what would be the point, he would waste energy in that moment that wasn't needed, but at the same time, he had enough to worry about to then have her report to the marines and have to deal with them as well. He looked right at her as he heard the thunder and let out a sign, as he knew it wasn't the time at all to fight. "Fine, a truce," he said as he put the sword away and stood there seeing if she would. He knew he could use room without the sword, and he could create a blade without his blade too. He sighed as he then sat down, carefully keeping an eye upon her the whole time. He knew she could make a move upon him, and she was skilled, not someone to underestimated at all.

"I am here on my way to the next island, this is where the log pose took me, I came here from Zou, and honestly avoiding Kaido while looking for ways to weaken his power base," he informed her honestly as this was something outside the grasp or the duty of the Marine interest, the Youko were a group that was pirates so a conflict between pirates was not that big of thing to her other then rocking the boat. "That and Luffy most likely is headed towards a conflict with Big Mom pretty soon, so I have to keep my head up," he said no worried about sharing this rather basic information, he knew that Big Mom had taken one of the straw hats, and Luffy was going to go get his crewmate back before to long.

"Now, that you have answered a question, what are your plans int he morning, I didn't see a marine ship when I came to the island and I would of heard from my crew already if they were to spot one and they haven't found one yet," he informed her knowing that there was something up. Was she alone, was she away from the rest of her crew. It seemed very likely that she was. What was her plan, he figured the truce would last for a time, but he would move on. Was she going to wait on this island for marines to come and pick her up. He wasn't sure if he should worry about it or not.

I'll put my sword away if you do ...

Which, luckily for Law, was a true inner thought. She was just preferring he would do so first. Mainly because - much as it infuriated Tashigi to admit it - Law could still probably beat her. He didn't need a blade to do that, after all, and that had actually been his means of earning a victory last time they met in Punk Hazard. His fruit and the powers that came from them were more amazing than one would initially assuming from simply hearing the name of it.

... Come to think of it, that seemed to apply with almost anyone nowadays.

Look at people like Luffy. He only obtained the Gomu Gomu no Mi and yet he possesses one of the highest bounties around nowadays ...

And given the captain of the Strawhats was younger than her or Law but gained such infamy so swiftly, it was quite the feat in itself. Particularly for a Paramecia Fruit and not a Logia or Zoan one.

"Good," she mused, sighing softly as he sheathed Kikoku away. "Glad we came to that agreement."

And, true to her thoughts, she returned the favor and put Shigure away also.

"I am here on my way to the next island, this is where the log pose took me, I came here from Zou, and honestly avoiding Kaido while looking for ways to weaken his power base,"

Tashigi couldn't help but raise an eyebrow. It wasn't that she thought Law was lying. Rather .... it was what he'd said that made her intrigued.

" ... Oh?" she questioned, "Your ... log pose guided you here? Kinda interesting. This is supposed to be uncharted and mostly undiscovered. I wouldn't think it would have revealed this to you so easily."

She wouldn't admit it aloud but ... that made her jealous. It had been a bitch finding this isle. Though, to be fair, he likely used his submarine and thus had much more - and better - equipment to deal with arriving here than she had been given. So it seemed fair that he would have had an easer time navigating his way here than the captain.

"Anyway ... all things considered, you probably found one of the better places to hide away from Kaido if nothing else."

And I still can't get a break from my goddamn past ....

Fighting the urge to bite in annoyance on her lower lip, she repeated his next question in her head. The stubborn part of Tashigi still felt certain she didn't owe him any answers.

.... However, if she really wanted to make this truce work, it would mean cooperation on her behalf as well as Law's.

So she forced herself to swallow some of her own pride before nodding and beginning to answer.

"That would be because Smoker-san didn't let me use a Marine ship. A smaller one ... more or less a life boat."

Her brows furrowed as Tashigi reminded herself of the small vessel. Unfortunately, the sea wasn't able to be seen. She would need to walk out tomorrow when the storm halted.

... Assuming it would even end by then.

Suddenly, everything was beginning to add up together and Tashigi felt her heart sink faster than it ever had before. She'd known this assignment would be a pain, definitely. To this extent though? Nope. It hadn't seemed to be this bad.

"Well .... shit .... " she muttered, sighing as her head fell against the back of the couch once more. "If it weren't for the fact I can at least trust Smoker for sure, it otherwise is starting to feel more and more like this was some horrible set up."

Her eyes slowly closed as the captain took a few deep breaths before re-opening her eyes and making contact with Law's.

"Aside from having found all of the rooms, I haven't seen what else is in here. There may be journals, food, other essential items around. I just got here maybe ... four, five minutes ago though. This entire island - let alone shelter - is new for me. I suppose you can make yourself comfortable, whatever that may or may not mean. I .... "

While Tashigi knew the first thing she should do was explore the hut for some of the possessions she mentioned, namely a journal that could elaborate on what Mystoria had in terms of animal and/or human population, geography, and so on ... she didn't feel like it.

Instead ....

"I am going to get a shower in," she muttered, nodding to herself as she stood up.

Maybe the water will cool you down ... or at least clear your head ...

Because as things were, Tashigi was an emotional wreck. She was irritated, annoyed, and almost positive by now some god was snickering and making Tashigi's mood get worse by the second.

Seriously though, what are the odds that Law of all people would fucking arrive here?

Her head shook as she stood up and left the living room, entering the bathroom in a matter of paces. Law would hear her shut the door to said location before removing her glasses, followed by her clothes.

"This feels like a more twisted version of the red string of fate bullshit I hear of so often ... " she added, sneaking a quick glance towards the door. Only when she was absolutely certain he wasn't trying to peek in at her did Tashigi lean forward, turn the shower on, and step in.

So she arrived alone on a small boat, given the weather, she was lucky to make it to the island, having his submarine had been a great help, but then there were many place that it was a great help, especially cold islands that had ice around them and would need a ice breaker to approach he could without any problem at all. It was just one of those rather nice advantages that his yellow submarine offered him. Why would he have her check up on this island, was it cause so little was known, perhaps the marines feared it being a unknown hideout that was used by a group of pirates sorta like how Thriller Bark, another impossible to find island was used by Moriah before Luffy had his role in the guy's downfall.

"I haven't seen anyone either, the island seemed rather empty from the coast and it seems as though that this place is the only place here. I guessed it was made by some castaway who ended up on the island waiting for someone to come and pick him up, perhaps dying or getting away from the island," he reasoned as he thought about it more, it seemed more and more possible that this was the resting place of someone who had lived here for some time. He wondered about that, and what the next move would be, but that would come when the time was right. He relaxed which was never difficult for him as he heard Tashigi tell him that she was going to take a shower.

"Yeah sure thing, Tash-ya," he commented as he let her take the shower that she wanted. He wasn't a pervert so to look in on her wasn't something that he was going to do, he rested his eyes as he listened to the sounds of the storm outside. The water worked which meant that most likely the person who lived here wasn't gone that long, or that would be his guess as he thought about it. Sitting with his legs crossed leaning back using his sword as a balance for the moment Law leaned his head down as he waited for the marine to be done with her shower. "It is just random chance, just like it was random chance that I ran into you back before."

He waited as he then got on his personal Den Den Muchi and got in touch with Bepo, who apologized for nothing at all. "Well, Bepo-ya, how are things back at the ship, anything you notice yet, any troubles."

"No, um, sorry, um, things are good out here," the bear replied, "the weather has been rather bad, but nothing to bad, the log pose hasn't reset yet either, but we will keep you informed on any changes," Bepo replied.

"Good Bepo-ya, keep up the work," he replied before hanging up and going back to relaxing.

Whether Law was a pervert or not wasn't her concern, in all honesty. It was simple facts. He was still a human, still a man. And the same applied to Tashigi, save for the obvious difference in gender.

Still, she couldn't deny another thought -- it was just another she wouldn't admit out loud.

For someone who's been an annoying opponent against you, he's .... very hands --

Her head shook as the water lightly cascaded and danced down her body, slipping between every nook and cranny. Her eyes closed as she tilted her head back, allowing the warm liquid to easily find and wash her neck, along with everywhere else.

"I may not be a Divination expert but .... is this ... supposed to be a sign?"

What the hell else can it be? It's practically stamped on your forehead.

Okay, smart ass. So what's it mean?

.... That seemed to be as far as her inner tug-of-war argument went. Tashigi sighed as she leaned against the wall, mulling over the past few days. Would things be different if she'd tried to disobey Smoker?

Well, duh! There's no way you'd be here or with Law ....

Yet, something told her only half of that statement was definitely true. The location, no doubt, wouldn't be here. Alas, there was no guarantee that Law wouldn't somehow find her.

He had an odd way of doing that; finding and encountering the best and worst types of people.

Such is the curse of those who bear the initial of the D's ...

Which made it that much more ironic. She definitely didn't have that initial, that much Tashigi knew for sure.

"So why does it feel like someone has given you said initial anyway?" she muttered, groaning softly as she gripped the soap and lathered a wash cloth up and starting to wash her skin. Starting from her face, Tashigi slowly made her way down, getting everywhere --- even the more sensual parts.
----​
Due to becoming lost in thought and enjoying the water longer than usual, Tashigi didn't walk out until a bit later than usual. Ten minutes to be exact. Her hair was mostly dry, though a few strands did still have droplets of water falling from them every now and again. While she stood a few feet out of the doorway leading to the bathroom and contemplated on what to do next, an almost immediate reply was given to Tashigi.

Yet it wasn't from Law or any verbal retort.

Well, not a traditional one.

Rather, it came from her midsection as her stomach growled.

A bit of crimson quickly spread over her face. Her head turned as the captain attempted to hide her now blushing expression and went hurriedly into the kitchen. "You ... you hungry, Law-san? If I can find something, I'll make dinner."

Assuming, of course, he wanted a meal. But that was why she was asking, to avoid making the mistake of assuming he may or may not be.

Regardless, she was and that was enough to make her begin rummaging through the cupboards.

.... Whomever was here last had to live so ... there's something. Right?

Hopefully. Because the thought of being forced to live with Law for one night was bad enough. To do so with almost nothing?

That was horrible, god-awful; an experience she definitely didn't wish to experience. Tashigi had endured enough 'bad days', one of which made her cringe to even recall. It came in the flashback of when Smoker had been in her body and actually exposed her chest.

.... What an idiot of a superior officer I have sometimes. Really, who does that? Ugh ...

Apparently, Smoker did.

Her head shook as Tashigi continued searching, hoping to find something as opposed to nothing.

Law thought abotu that very thought while she was in the shower and asked Bepo to bring them food, as it would easiest for her to interact with a bear, and Jean could take control of the ship, he was a skilled pirate and could handle things. For a while as Bepo brought the two of them some food, he explained that he needed two meals, but he didn't go into any more detail then that. He heard the sound of the shower go off a moment later as he looked at the marine as she came out. He paused, Tash-ya was a woman, there was no doubting that, she was very endowed and he knew from being around her she was very conservative in her how she dressed hiding her curves rather well behind her outfit, or she had the last time that he had ran into her. She seemed the more proper type, but that wasn't a big thing either way. He heard her stomach which didn't surprise him as he looked outside.

"We have food on the way, Tash-ya," he informed her as he knew that Bepo would make it there, he was a dependable bear and he could get to them, most likely to just drop off the food and then high tail it back to the ship. He figured the bear could do that or he would stay there and stay wtih them, but with the lack of room, having a big bear wouldn't work so well. "So, Tash-ya, I hope that you like whatever we get cause god knows what it will be. I am not sure who will have been doing the cooking. It isn't like blackleg-ya will have cooked it or anyone of his skill," he commented as he then heard the knock on the door after a moment as he walked over to the door and a big bear stood there for a moment. He took the food, and looked at Tashigi, "Well now, food is here," he said holding the bag in his hands, as he looked at Bepo, who had never meet her before.

"This is my crew, I am sure you have read on him, his name is Bepo," he said introducing her to the white bear who was dressed for the weather, which was adorable in its own way. "Now, do you think we have room for him or should send him back to the ship," he reasoned, figuring she would have a opinion on this, and letting her share this information, before he did something though he was going to most likely send him back as he didn't think they had the room needed for a bear.

"We have food on the way, Tash-ya,"

Tashigi turned her head, wearing a very torn expression. It was obvious she was grateful to hear he had figured a method out to bring food over.

On the other hand though, her eyes narrowed slightly.

"Tashigi," she corrected him, crossing her arms in defiance across her chest. "Come now. I use your proper name; give me that much back."

Hell, I give you the correct honorific too, you spoiled brat ...

Still, it would have been hypocritical of her to voice her thoughts. It was the only thing that even aided Tashigi in trying to keep her point as a valid one.

"But ... I'm glad to hear that otherwise. Thank you for that."

Her head moved from side to side as Tashigi exited the kitchen and sat back down on the couch.

"So, Tash-ya, I hope that you like whatever we get cause god knows what it will be. I am not sure who will have been doing the cooking. It isn't like blackleg-ya will have cooked it or anyone of his skill,"

"Food's food. At this point, it'd be pointless to bitch and complain," she replied, casually shrugging. Her head tilted as she pause before nodding. "I don't have any allergies that I know of so I should be fine with anything so long as it's edible."

As Bepo arrived, Tashigi didn't stare or gawk like one may have thought. There were many perks to being in the Marines and one of them was having prior knowledge on pirates and their nakama. So she knew that Bepo was a bear and not a human.

"Now, do you think we have room for him or should send him back to the ship,"

That feels like a low blow of a question," she muttered. "I mean ... it is true, this place is small. But with the storm going on, I don't wanna sound like a heartless bitch by saying he should leave."

Her teeth gripped onto her lower lip for a few seconds before nodding, "The end verdict will be Bepo's. If he thinks he can get back fine, I won't stop him. Otherwise, I'm not opposed to him staying."

Well now that was a good answer, he took the bags and then looked up at Bepo, "Well Bepo-ya it is your choice head back or stay it is all good, I am sure that Jean-ya will be able to watch the ship without you there," he commented looking at Bepo, he was less trusting of that as he bowed to him for some reason. Law blinked and figured he knew the answer already before the bear made a single comment to him.

"Sorry, but I think I will head back, I am sure I can make it back, and I want to make sure that Jean-san will stay out of trouble," Bepo said as he then took off heading away from the building leaving him and Tashigi alone again in the cabin.

Law looked at the food and took it out, it was simple some fruit, and a pair of sandwiches with cheese and cut up fried fish, it was a simple meal to make with the fish that were found in the area of the ocean they were in. The cook had done a good job on it, thought it was rather simple, it would work to give him something to eat, and from what Tashigi said she wouldn't have anything wrong with it either.

"Here you go," he commented as he handed her the bag and then sat down away from her. "Now, tomorrow, you will be here alone, are you going to be fine with that. You said yourself that this island is hard to find, it is possible that the marines don't find you, and your stuck here for a very long time, unless they know how to find you," he commented, he was curious what she was going to do to get off this island, at the moment, her chances had to be rather low, unless there was something he didn't know about.

He got up and walked to the table at least as he sat down and found a bottle in the bag too, some nice liqour to enjoy with the meal, that was not to bad, it was something to drink while with the marine girl. "So, can you hold your liquor, Tash-ya?"

... He never used that suffix before. Is it new? Or have I just never heard him use it before now?

Either way, she was glad to hear him include it with Bepo. It made Tashigi feel a bit better that he wasn't doing it to simply poke fun at her. Still, she had been very serious with requesting for Law to use her proper name. It was just one of those common courtesies that she practiced with others and expected to have returned. And really, it seemed like a pretty tame request, much more than anything she could have tried to demand from the ex-Shichibukai.

Suffice to say, her head tilted slightly as she listened to Bepo's verdict.

... It made sense, yeah. But for some reason, she had expected him to stay here anyway.

.... Well, at least he's looking out for nakama and not feeling horrible about being around you ...

Tashigi bowed her head politely to Bepo before giving her full attention to the food that had been delivered. What she had said to Law moments ago became that much more accurate; food was food. And, if she had to select any specific items, this would have been almost exactly the same. Her gratitude for the simple gesture only strengthened as she took one of the sandwiches and began to eat it.

The captain enjoyed the silence, not minding that Law seemed to be quiet for a while.

Thus when he did speak up - and forced her to think about something she had been desperately trying to avoid pondering or heavily thinking on herself, Tashigi felt her blood freeze up slightly.

"Now, tomorrow, you will be here alone, are you going to be fine with that. You said yourself that this island is hard to find, it is possible that the marines don't find you, and your stuck here for a very long time, unless they know how to find you,"

"I .... "

It made sense that Law didn't have intentions on remaining here forever. As far as she could tell, he had no reasons to abruptly consider living on Mystoria. But she hadn't thought he would leave as soon as tomorrow.

"You sure it'll be okay for you? You're trying to lay low, after all ... "

Though her voice was mostly calm, the look in the captain's normally calm eyes had shifted. It was only for a few seconds, but for someone as observant as Law, he would very likely notice it.

There had been a sense of dread, fear, uneasiness and it was very clear she was trying to come up with an excuse to not be alone.

"I don't know though ... " she finally answered, knowing her own answer couldn't be avoided forever. "I'm not even supposed to leave. Smoker wants me to chart this entire place but ... "

Are you mad? Are you really considering giving up on this job?

.... Yes. For some reason, this wasn't sitting well with her. This hadn't been the first time her moral and work ethics had been tested. Hell, some could say everything else had been worse; from everything she'd endured at places like Alabasta, Punk Hazard, Loguetown ... those were more difficult.

And yet, for some incentive she still couldn't pinpoint, this job was suddenly making Tashigi more afraid than she'd ever felt before.

... Because Law could be right about not being found?

That was only a small part of it. Suddenly, what had started as a small list began to appear in her mind. Each second that ticked away, more items appeared on it, each including why she should leave.

Were it on paper, it would have read something akin to ....

-Lack of food/supplies
-Don't have a Den Den to get a hold of Smoker
-No guarantee you'll be found
-No guarantee you will be the only person here
-There are more ways I can see myself dying instead of staying alive until I'm found

And that was just a select few things that were haunting her.

Thankfully, the next question that Law gave was a nice and much needed distraction, actually.

"So, can you hold your liquor, Tash-ya?"

"Of course I can!"

Although, truthfully, the real answer was she had no idea. She'd never indulged in sake. Still, Tashigi wasn't weak willed.

So she at least believed that she had a chance to be able to drink sake well enough.

" ... I'm overdue for a drink anyway ... " she mumbled in a somewhat bitter tone, taking another bite of her sandwich and waiting for the sake to be poured.

"Well good, cause this is the good stuff, Tash-ya," he commented as he poured out two cups of the drink a bit strong, for each of them and then left the bottle on the table. He took his own and drank it. He had been around some heavy drinkers like Zoro-ya, and well he figured that the marine being a swordwoman could handle her own drinking as well, plus though strong, there was only one bottle that they would have to work their way thought.

He drank in quiet for a moment as he thought about the aims of the future, he could lay down and do nothing, but where would that get him. In the end, the world would move on, and he would fall behind the others. If he fail behind then he would in time get to confident and then he would get killed by someone. If one didn't keep improving they fail into stagnation and then death from when a rival or a marine took you down when you were not prepared for that. He drank and thought about how he had to work to keep up with Straw Hat too, he had to at least help him out and uphold his own part of the alliance at least, and also be able to challenge Straw Hat for the one piece one day as well.

"The Log Pose will take a couple of days, so I am not going to leave tomorrow, but I was curious what your reaction would be," he replied looking at her, "You have had some challenges, from Vertigo, to the issues with Caesar and those kids. I would guess it must be rather challenging to be a Marine these days with the change in leadership and even some of your best admirals leaving or going into basically retirement," he mused to her as he also wanted to see her reaction to his statement. He knew that she was skilled, he knew if somehow he could get her to join him that she would be a great help in his crew too. "As a D, it is kind of a responsibility to go against the Celestial Dragons."

Taking another drink, he remember she had commented about the D and he said nothing, he did with that verify her statement. He figured she somehow was smart enough to figure it out, a testament to her intelligence

I'm about ready to smack you for using that goddamn nickname ...

Instead, she took a few moments to close her eyes, block his words out, and take a long, deep breath.

Breathe ... breathe .... there we go ...

As her eyes came back into view, Tashigi reached over and took her cup. She hesitated, holding it in midair for a few moments, before pressing the container against her lips and sipping the alcohol. It was definitely strong; the Marine captain could easily pick up on that.

Yet ...

It was also ... sweet. Soothing. Refreshing even, all things she had definitely not planned on tasting.

"Mmmm," she moaned softly, temporarily forgetting she wasn't alone. Thus the sight of Law across from her made Tashigi's face turn a bit crimson. "It's good," she quickly added, trying to back up the sound and why he had heard it, lest his mind be filled with inaccurate and slightly perverted thoughts.

She began to finish the last half of her sentence as Law began to speak again.

"The Log Pose will take a couple of days, so I am not going to leave tomorrow, but I was curious what your reaction would be,"

"You asshole," she muttered, going silent the moment he hinted there was more he wished to say.

"You have had some challenges, from Vertigo, to the issues with Caesar and those kids. I would guess it must be rather challenging to be a Marine these days with the change in leadership and even some of your best admirals leaving or going into basically retirement,"

"W-well .... "

... Alas, he was right about that much. While Smoker had certainly earned his rank, part of the reason he jumped so high - going quickly to Vice Admiral - was to fill in the gaps that Marineford had created. Sengoku retired after Ace's execution, as had Aokiji. So as much as it irked her, Tashigi knew there was definitely some amount of truth in Law's words.

"Smoker won't," she murmured, "He's worked too hard to just ... give up. Quit. Whatever you wanna call it."

As Tashigi finished the sandwich, she took another sip of the alcohol. Another bit of silence hovered between the two as the young woman quietly thought on his words, trying to decipher them.

What ... is he trying to imply?

Normally, she was faster to comprehend these sorts of things. It seemed, however, the sake had done its job to at least slow her down and slightly buzz the Marine. She wasn't completely drunk, but it was easy to take note she was slower than usual, both physically and in regards to her intelligence.

"Where are you trying to go with this talk about the Celestial Dragons, Law-san? I mean .... they're not really a concern for the Marines. Just be blunt. Besides, I won't wanna make any wrong assumptions or guesses."

"Well, then I will be direct, you know that the Dragons can do whatever they want, that is cause they are the rulers of many of the original kingdoms, they have power over the world government as the top of the world government. Then who do the marines get their orders from, but the world government, a group who allows things such as what happened at Dressrosa, Alabasta, Ohara, Flevance. There is a reason why your former Admiral Aokiji is now working with blackbear," he replied being more blunt about the situation then he had been before. He figured that the directness was needed now especially after her statement. "I bet that the admirals are even answerable to the dragons, trust me, I know how bad they are, my crewmate Jean was a slave made so by the dragons who do such things often."

"Your boss might be a good marine, but he is only one in a whole group of people who aren't," he said very bluntly as he looked at her, "You think Vertigo is the only insider inside of your group, I am sure that their are other ones just like him who work for other pirates who you protect and give power, hell you once gave me power as a warlord. I find it funny, that they would do that to keep peace, when it only give a false sense of peace," he added in. "On Dressrosa, your forces worked with the warlord against Straw Hat and rebels, and thousands were killed cause of it."

He paused letting the air around him still as he looked at her, "If you want it blunt, if you want to leave on my ship, you will need to join my crew, you are more then welcome to do so, but that is the condition for your exit from this place. You can of course stay and do your mission, but don't you think they might of given Smoker this job for you knowing that it would divide you and put him in a situation where he has to well be weaker. The choice is yours though, I am sure that being on my ship with real food and a nice bed to sleep in is going to be better then in a shake for months at a time."

Tashigi gave an appreciated bow of her head as Law began to comply with the request to be more forthright with her.

... Only to just as quickly regret having asked for that.

"Well, then I will be direct, you know that the Dragons can do whatever they want, that is cause they are the rulers of many of the original kingdoms, they have power over the world government as the top of the world government. Then who do the marines get their orders from, but the world government, a group who allows things such as what happened at Dressrosa, Alabasta, Ohara, Flevance. There is a reason why your former Admiral Aokiji is now working with blackbear,"

What a wake up call she just got.

The sake had been strong, sure. But that at least had a nice, elegant taste.

This?

It was horrible .... bitter even.

Tashigi had to use all of her will to swallow the sake instead of spitting it out, simultaneously making a face as she quickly began to add where Law was going with this talk.

"I bet that the admirals are even answerable to the dragons, trust me, I know how bad they are, my crewmate Jean was a slave made so by the dragons who do such things often."

"Smoker wouldn't --- "

Even if that was indeed right, what of the others?

That was what made her heart sink. A hand began to tremble as she managed to set her sake cup down, then wrap her arms around her midsection. Suddenly, she actually began to feel as if she were indeed literally going to be sick.

This mission had irked her from the get-go, sure. But it never had made her feel quite like this. Even as of a few moments ago, she had been ready to dismiss the ideas that had rushed through her head, wanting to blame Law's presence and the liquor for making her even think of leaving the Marines.

Now, however, she couldn't try to place the responsibility on anyone or anything else.

Right then and there, Tashigi knew and felt in her heart the right thing to do - on a very technical note - was leave.

Can ... you really just ... get up and leave though?

.... Maybe this is the real reason Smoker sent you here? To keep you safe?

Even if it was only a mere possibility, it made Tashigi's tremors strengthen. Her hands raised as she covered her face. Yet it wouldn't stop Law from hearing the terrified whimper and being able to guess she was barely holding tears back.

"You think Vertigo is the only insider inside of your group, I am sure that their are other ones just like him who work for other pirates who you protect and give power, hell you once gave me power as a warlord. I find it funny, that they would do that to keep peace, when it only give a false sense of peace. On Dressrosa, your forces worked with the warlord against Straw Hat and rebels, and thousands were killed cause of it."

"I feel sick .... " Tashigi whispered, lifting her head as a new set of mixed emotions entered her eyes. Shock, as she clearly had never considered this before. Annoyance, that he was actually relaying this to her and at the very same time, an odd sense of .... gratitude?

It was probably a bit harder to figure out with Tashigi being under the slight influence o the sake, and thus being far more honest than if she'd been speaking with Law about this talk completely sober.

"Damnit!" she hissed through gritted teeth, clenching her fists tightly.

The stubborn part of the Marine which so desperately wished to stay loyal to the same group she'd been affiliated for so long didn't want to do this. Going AWAL would mean receiving a bounty on her head and she likely wouldn't be able to face Smoker again.

Assuming no coup has already happened within the Marines and he's not --

Don't think that! Smoker's strong! He'll pull through ... he'll live ...

At least she wanted to believe as much. Luffy had been one of the few people who could even give him a run for his money, but he didn't use lethal tactics. So as far as she could see, he was safe enough.

" ... I'll go with you ... "

The whisper was soft yet still audible. In the reply, there was a very infuriated tone, but not at Law. Rather, at the implications he had made. Theory or not, it sincerely pissed her off to consider he would be right and soon, major changes - that couldn't actually be good - would happen.

"I hate it but ... you are right. So ... I'll go ... "

It'd been repeated mainly so Tashigi could reassure herself, though it was true for Law to think she had done so for his sake also.

"I see, well then we shall head to the ship as soon as the storm leaves, sword-ya," he said giving her a different nickname as he figured that last one was a bit rude to just cut down her name would well be easily seen as being rude. He wasn't going to call her by her name not cause it was a bad name, but mostly cause he was lazy when it came to names and he liked to give nicknames to people who were his friends or people who mattered to him and as a member of his crew, that very much applied to Tashigi at that moment. "Then you know that we are headed after the one piece, I expect that in time that you will be the best swordsperson their is, and if memory serves me right your after swords right, I think Zoro told me about the copy girl," he mused as he rested leaning against the back of the couch.

"We can make that part of our goal as well. I have learned a good deal from being around the straw hates, they work towards a unified dream, while they all work on their own dreams and aims. To make sure that swords don't end up in the hands of those who want to do ill is a good cause," he commented knowing that her sword was one of those special swords. His own Kikoku was a Meito and thus a cursed and legendary sword. He knew of the swords, and he had the one he wanted. Still he figured collecting swords they found or taking them from others who used them improperly would be fine. "It might surprise you, but I was actually trained in swordsmanship by one of Donflamingo's men, so I know that some rather bad people can end up with swords, as well as other weapons."

"Perhaps from here we should head to one of the revolutionary army bases," he reasoned thinking about it for a moment knowing that many islands were supporters of the revolutionaries. He could get in perhaps, they had worked together before, and he had an alliance with Luffy and Sabo was Luffy's bother and Robin a member of their ranks after all. Not to mention the other connections, he needed information on where he would head after this island, this strange island which turned out to be a good move by him. To get a skilled swordswoman like Tashigi was a move that he needed greatly. He needed one more great person to join his crew, and he knew with her he had someone who was still growing and getting strong and was already really pretty strong.

A groan echoed in her head as Tashigi was given a new nickname.

... At least they fit you. Still though ...

It was the principle that bothered her. She was used to saying a person's entire name, no matter how long or annoying it was to pronounce. Nicknames were something that no one - even people closer to her such as Smoker - ever gave the Captain. Maybe using her title, but even that was something she'd earned, not been given as a playful-ish gesture.

"Yeah. I have heard about you also seeking the one piece treasure."

When he went on about Kuina, however, she grimaced slightly.

"Of all the things that poor lass was, I doubt the words 'copy girl' are the right way to describe her," she sharply quipped, letting some of her more feminine side out. "Though I won't lie; from what Zoro told me, the resemblance is .... uncanny. Kinda nerve-wracking because of how similar we are. I doubt she had the same goals though, if I had to guess, simply because .... it didn't feel like hat would be what she wanted. I think she wanted more than taking swords away. Still, you are correct on that also."

It was flattering that he thought she could surpass even Dracule. But quite honestly, the thought was a terrifying and simultaneously doubtful one. More than that though, it would be ... an unspoken taboo of sorts.

Some people could still nowadays hold a very strong, misogynistic point of view.

Thus even if she did earn Dracule's title, it'd be much m ore likely to cause an uproar than earn her praise. Under normal circumstances, she wouldn't worry or care about that possibility.

However, with her having agreed to break ties with the Marines by joining Law, there was a lot more to worry about, including the new, inevitable bounty that would be placed on her head the moment it was confirmed she had left.

Odd that you're realizing all this whilst buzzed and not sober ...

Tashigi sighed softly as she finished her first cup off before refilling it.

"At any rate, Zoro has proved that - annoying as it is to admit - he's earned the right to keep those swords. Despite some being 'earned' in what one could consider questionable circumstances, he is otherwise worthy enough to wield them."

But that bastard better not look down on me when we meet again .... ugh ....

"So .... my sights will be on someone else. I'll probably know when we see them."

"Perhaps from here we should head to one of the revolutionary army bases,"

He ... already knows of the Revolutionary Army?

Slowly but surely, Tashigi was beginning to see the perks of having more than one kind of ally. She'd only really been able to affiliate herself with other Marines or higher-ranked Government officials. But people like Law weren't restricted due to obligations. As such, he had a lot more freedom. She just ... never considered it could be used in this sort of way.

If he has that much influence, he's as charismatic as he is strong ...

From what bits and rumors she had heard regarding the Revolutionary Army, they were incredibly secretive and selective on whom got information on them. In fact, the news had distracted her so much that she almost didn't hear his reveal about how and whom trained him in the art of sword fighting.

"It only somewhat surprises me. I have no doubt someone among Doflamingo's ranks has such a capability; yet it seems like they're all focused more on Fruit usage over actual weapons, though I have seen for myself more than enough times they can sometimes be one in the same. A Fruit and a weapon, when use properly."

Another soft sigh passed Tashigi's lips as she finished her second cup and plopped against the back of the couch.

.... So you're really doing this, huh?

Got any better ideas?

... Fine ...

Her eyes slowly closed as Tashigi began taking steady breaths to help calm herself, lest she go in a panic attack. This was all quite a bit to hear, let alone agree to, in the quick span of ... twenty minutes? Maybe thirty; either way, it wasn't very long that she'd been speaking or sitting near Law. Lunch had barely just finished and already, she was feeling incredibly exhausted, though part of it was very likely due to the sake.

"What a fucking day ... " she mused, mainly to herself, yet not forbidding Law from hearing her thoughts either.

"Yeah, I know what you mean Sword-ya, but this is life sadly," he replied taking another drink of sake himself, he could handle his sake, as he had a lot of experience with it. He looked over at the young woman, and then blinked as eh knew that this had to be very challenging. He knew that a change in life would be hard. She wasn't the first person to go from the law side to the pirate life, but this was not Drake, or no Lafitte either. Those two had more reasons to change sides from the law side to being pirates, though he would compare her more the Drake, then Lafitte, who seemed more a natural pirate.

"You will have the ability to decline any fight if there is reason for you to do so, and leave someday if you do not like what I do," he informed her, he was not going to keep her on his crew against her own will. He was a pirate and freedom was one of the things that they found the most important in the world. He knew that the time might come where she would get a chance to find a different path as she was taking this day, and he wouldn't get in her own way. He leaned poured out the rest of the bottle for the two of them as he looked at her. "Well, at least with this, I will have a woman on my crew who is better looking then the women the straw hats have in theirs," he said before blushing a slight bit as he figured the statement was out of character, and most likely the sake to some degree.

"Well, I am sorry, but I mean a swordsman as great as any other almost who is on any other crew," he said pausing for a moment. "I wonder how long that the storm will last, and if it will remain as loud as it is now."

The storm outside was pretty loud and annoying, and he figured cause of it, it would be a pain to sleep. He hoped that it would past sooner or later, but then they had a certain amount of time on the island, so they would have time to explore and figure perhaps some of the mysteries of the island they happened to be on. It seemed empty but was it really so, things could be more then meet the eye sometimes.

"Yeah, I know what you mean Sword-ya, but this is life sadly,"

Pretty crappy one then ....

She'd never really thought on it before. Now that Smoker wasn't towering over her or barking orders at Tashigi, she had the time and ability to actually pause and dwell on a thought. There had often been rumors that Gol D. Roger's execution was the start of a massive domino effect. Many people, in the Marines and mere citizens, had dismissed the thought, as it sounded more akin to a ghost story than a legitimate possibility.

But now?

Maybe ... there was some truth to that belief.

If Marine protocol, the same ones she knew, was suddenly going to hell ... what other explanation was there? Things could be chaotic every now and again, sure. But at least there had always been a sense of law and order. Now, there may not even be that soon enough, especially if Law's guess turned out to be correct.

Tashigi's head began to throb, as if a massive pile of bricks abruptly fell atop it. Everything - or a good majority, anyway - was falling apart. Truth be told, it scared the young captain.

Am I even going to survive in this new world?

... Even while under Law's care, she didn't know. He was strong and all. But so was Doflamingo. Even with his arrest, what about his followers? Had they been apprehended as well? If not, did anyone know where they were?

Because if the answer was no, then unwanted company in such forms could arrive.

Or even worse individuals than people associated with the elder ex-Shichibukai.

Who the fuck's worse than Doflamingo?

Suffice to say, it was probably for the best that her mind didn't immediately give Tashigi an answer. She barely even heard anything Law said afterwards. It wouldn't be until the faint tinges of crimson painted his face that finally Tashigi did hear what he had murmured.

"Well, at least with this, I will have a woman on my crew who is better looking then the women the straw hats have in theirs,"

"The hell is that supposed to mean?!" she quipped, feeling her face burn as it mirrored Law's. "Ohhh. I get it. Has your crew been questioning their captain's orientation or something?"

Much like Law, she was taking her own unorthodox route, definitely aided out by the sake. But hey, it would be one of the few ways she could get back at Law for their past and the slightly annoying nickname. While teasing wasn't usually something the captain did, she wasn't past doing anything necessary to get what she wanted.

And at that moment, seeing Law blush and knowing she contributed to it sounded like a good start.

Small, yes; but it would be progress nonetheless.

Subconsciously, her head lowered as she looked not at the floor, but her chest.

.... I know they're not as good as Robin's but .... did he mean that? Does he really think I look ... okay? Better than that possibly?

Among the many other protocols she had follow, being in any sort of an unprofessional relationship was an unwritten rule that she - as well as other Marines - followed. So being noticed or called 'attractive' in any form or fashion was ... new. Foreign.

But it wasn't bad either. Especially as it had been declared in rather good taste, rather than being too crude or perverted like Tashigi had half-expected.

Maybe ... this wouldn't be the most impossible arrangement. Maybe she could get along with Law, better than the now ex-Marine had officially thought. The faintest of smiles crossed her face, hidden quickly by the sake cup as it was raised again to her lips while Tashigi drank from it.

Law blinked as he heard her question, he figured it was a jab at him and a return shot for his comments towards her moments earlier. He dealt with it in the same calm normal fashion that he dealt with most everything. "Well openly, no, they have never asked that, privately, I guess that it is possible that they think that, who knows those. I am sure there is evidence that one might be able to use to paint me that way," he reasoned as he looked over at her. "You see, I am one of the few known men that Boa's charms totally do not work against at all. I well tell you a secret. After the war of the best, well Luffy recovered on Amazon Island, you see poor Boa is head over heals for the pirate, and let him stay there on that island. I didn't bother trying to go past the shore, but we were there for a few months, so I guess it is possible."

"Now, what I meant is simple, you are an attractive woman who is a natural beauty, I am sure that you have drawn the eye of many of male to you over the years," he commented, guessing based on her way of acting that she hadn't that much experience, and her modesty would also suggest if she had suitors she might miss them all together even if they were in front of her, such as members of her own G-5 crew or the whole G-5 crew. The blush from his comment had shown him this to be true, as well as he reaction to returning to her body after smoker had been in it and well dressed more revealing then she would ever think of doing. "I am sure Bepo will come to respect you and like you rather soon, he has a tendency of apologizing for nothing and Jean as well will grow to respect you with time as well as the others on my crew. They are a good bunch, hardworking and better then people think too."

Awww, lame. You couldn't have given me that slight satisfaction? You smug bastard ...

To say Tashigi was disappointed in Law being able to handle her tease in his usual, calm manner would have been probably the biggest understatement of the day. Even more so than some unseen god was poking fun at her by forcing the captain to constantly run into people that had been .... how to say it? Annoying? Troublesome? Sources of bad luck?

Probably all of those and other multiple terms that weren't immediately coming to her head.

... Well .... beggars can't be choosers ...

Even if he didn't stammer, Law did at least show he clearly hadn't expected the inquiry which ... was something. Maybe not as much as the slightly buzzed Tashigi had wanted but ah well. She'd take any victory she could get at this rate.

"Well openly, no, they have never asked that, privately, I guess that it is possible that they think that, who knows those. I am sure there is evidence that one might be able to use to paint me that way,"

"Fair enough," she mused, nodding as Tashigi replied in a soft voice. "I suppose it's not usually something crew members - or comrades of any form or fashion - would ask about now that I think on it."

Even the members of G-5 knew better than to dare try to ask if she had felt something for Smoker.

Or .... any man at that rate.

The answer would have been the same ... no. Whcih was true, not just a cover-up. Smoker ... she respected. Even when he angered or pissed her off, much like an elder sibling. Disregarding the fact that relationships in the Marines were a taboo thing, she probably wouldn't fall for Smoker even if that didn't matter. He had the same love and devotion she did for her work.

The main difference between them - aside from gender - was Tashigi understood and realized one of these days, the thought of having her own family was something she did want, no matter how risky that was. Smoker ... never would want that. It thus seemed logical to not fall for him. What sense was there in fawning over someone who not only wouldn't return the feelings, but likely had no real desire to help their future lover achieve a goal.

Lovely. You get to die a virgin ...

The bitter thought made her grimace and inwardly sigh.

"Now, what I meant is simple, you are an attractive woman who is a natural beauty, I am sure that you have drawn the eye of many of male to you over the years,"

Her attention ha been so strong on her inner thoughts that she completely missed the part about Luffy landing on Amazon Lily. When the topic switched to herself though, she immediately was dragged out of her thoughts, flushing again slightly in front of the ex-Shichibukai. "I don't know about that," she muttered, "And ... honestly? If I have gotten anyone's attention, they've never told me due to ... well ... work protocol. Our job isn't to ... well .... you know ... "

Tashigi quickly gripped her cup, tilting her head back as she downed the rest of her cup in one quick gulp. A ghost of a smile formed when she heard Law reassure her his crew would come to like her.

"I hope so," she thought aloud. "I wouldn't blame them for being slightly freaked out. I don't think you have any ex-Marines on your crew. I don't really count you completely, as you were with them even before you were a Shichibukai. Plus, Shichibukais are above Marines, even those of Vice Admiral ranking such as Smoker-san."

Another sigh resounded through the room as she stared down at the sake cup which she'd just refilled.

" .... I probably should have this be my last one," she decided, nodding firmly to herself. "As overdue as this treat was, I don't want to risk getting too addicted to sake. I prefer being sober when I'm working or needed for important tasks."

Taking a few moments, Tashigi first pushed her glasses up before grabbing the cup once more and working on finishing the last of her sake.

Hearing her he was going to have to think about the fact that this woman had never been approached by a marine or other person. he thoughta bout it for a moment as he took the bottle and then drank it down finishing the sake after he knew she was done. There was not that much left and it was rather good. He wasn't one to drink all the time, but from time to time it was rather good and eat to enjoy. "No, I don't have any marines in my crew, but I have nothing against marines, they are not bad by the person, some are and some aren't. It is them as a group that I am against and that I end up fighting against, but that is for the reasoning to protect my freedom. To be honest there is a marine that I owe my life to, or the man happened to be a undercover marine, and a person that would surprise you to know."

"Corazon-ya, or his actual name Donquixote Rosinante, Donflamingo's younger brother, and the person who saved my life. So no, I have nothing against any Marine, but I haven't found one that was worth having as part of my crew, well until I meet you, Sword-ya. Now, it is late, and I have no plans of waking up early, but it is to loud to sleep as well, it is rather stupid and dumb," he reasoned with her. He looked at Tashigi and turned his head slightly for a moment. "Your marines are stupid, they should of broken the rules to go after you, if there was one that liked you. You are worth breaking the rules for. I can tell just looking at you, though it might be the sake speaking," he commented as he leaned towards her and kissed her before leaning back and resting against the couch behind himself and falling into a sleep brought on by tiredness.

Just hearing that Law owed his life to a Marine made Tashigi raise an eyebrow. He'd been correct; she would never have guessed this to be true.

"Corazon-ya, or his actual name Donquixote Rosinante, Donflamingo's younger brother, and the person who saved my life."

" ... Very interesting," Tashigi mused after staying quiet and making certain she'd heard the name correctly. "I didn't think Doflamingo-san even had a sibling. He comes off as the type that would have killed them at a very age, more so considering he killed his own parents."

That much had been known and listed in his documents. In all honesty, Rosinante had been as well. She probably just wasn't immediately remembering it.

" .... Well then .... " she declared, going silent again for a few moments before finishing her statement. "I think I'll send my thoughts to this Rosinante. You've definitely been one of the more interesting people I've met in my life so far and it's clear that were it not for his efforts, you ... probably wouldn't still be around. Even though we haven't really had the best meetings, I still wouldn't wish any ill will on you."

.... Or anyone, for the most part.

It just wasn't in Tashigi to hold grudges, not over petty things. They had be sincere, a true concern. While one could argue Law cutting in her half should have counted, it had also been mixed in with his Fruit ability. Because of that, she hadn't really died. Though Tashigi wouldn't lie; being caught off guard and defeated in that way had made her view Law in a very new perspective. It helped her see and understand just how truly strong the man was.

All Fruit users seem to be ....

Her head bowed slightly. She'd never felt like caving in and wanting to find a Devil Fruit. Now - also likely aided out by the sake - she was feeling an unusual sense of envy.

... Maybe my swordsmanship isn't good enough?

Tashigi tilted her head slightly, sneaking a peak at Shigure, but only had her gaze linger there for a few seconds. The next words from Law made her quickly look back into his eyes.

"Your marines are stupid, they should of broken the rules to go after you, if there was one that liked you. You are worth breaking the rules for."

"N-no I'm .... "

Before she could finish her protest, Tashigi was silenced by Law's own lips. Her face burned as she froze, neither denying or accepting the kiss. "You idiot, you don't just ---- "

Before she could finish admonishing him, he leaned back and ... closed his eyes? The captain chortled softly as she lightly placed a hand over his chest and felt the way he was breathing. "What a hypocrite," she muttered, "You say it's stupid to sleep, yet you do it so easily."

Quickly rising to her feet, Tashigi entered the lone bedroom and collapsed on the bed, burying her head into one of the pillows. Her body began to tremble as those seven words echoed in her head over and over again, as if on auto-repeat.

"You are worth breaking the rules for."

"No I'm not .... " she muttered in a now muffled, wobbly voice. In the end, she ended up caving in and began to lightly sob into the pillow. "Bastard ... haven't you heard the rule about not making a woman cry?"

... Yet it would have been more of a tease than something she was pissed off about.

... Okay, she was angry. But it would be something that would pass in time. More than anything, Tashigi was crying because the words were ... actually very poignant and had seemed to strike a chord. Hell, they even helped sober her up a bit. It wasn't a direct confession of love, but it had been the closest one Tashigi had ever received.

Does ... he ... ??

Her head weakly moved from side to side.

Don't be stupid. We just met for the first time since Punk Hazard. He has no reason to like you. Not as a lover, at least.

With those last thoughts, Tashigi finally cried herself to sleep, the sake helping her drift off as well as her own sources of fatigue.

Back
Top Bottom