Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Rule of the Church is Absolute (me and Fogu_s_Tofu)

Rosetta stoped when he put his arm out infront of her. She listened and looked over at the urns and she nodded and said "All right....Be careful" she told him and snuck away over to the urns. Once he had the guards distracted she would run out of the gate.

"good luck." He called back, they both needed it. The large crowd was good for her, but he himself needed less people, he didn't want anyone getting hurt. The flow of people had a lull, looking around, this was the best he could hope for. He drew the sword that had spilled so much blood for only god knows, and prepaired to weild it in an act of true heroic purpose.

He darted out, he didn't even warn the guard as he cut the man down. Suddenly screams from the croud filled the streets, angry yells came from the guardsmen and Aischylos responded. He took a few steps away from the gate, the guards there drew away from it instinctively. Rosetta had her opening. Aischylos cut down another, this one inexperienced, but the rest. He felt that they could be a great burden. He held one at bay as the other three moved to box him in. If she didn't move now, they would soon be able to see anyone dashing out.

Rosetta stayed within the crowd. She had he head down as she made her way over to the urns. There she remained hidden untill he gave her an opening. When she got one she pretended to be apart of the screaming crowd and ran out the city gates and continued to run down the road. She didn't know how far to run, but she kept running for a good five minutes before she stopped and waited for him.

He saw her run, and gave a sigh of reliefe. Now, he had only four things to worry about.

"Come get me!" He punched one, his knuckles popping when hiting the armor of the man's helmet. The blow was enough to send the man stumbling, but the ex-enforcer couldn't act upon the opporotunity as he was assaulted by the man to his left. The blade of his attacker's sword halted about a half inch deep in his shoulder, Aischylos' sword digging into the man's guts a brief moment before he had to deal with the guard in front of him. He swung his sword left to right, wounding the other further. The play's he'd seen portrayed a sword fight as a series of beautifully made motions, this was pure raw survival. Each action to the point and with purpose.

Aischylos was pushed back by the force of their blades connecting. From the corner of his eye, the fisrt man swept his sword towards him. Aischylos moved quickly, but was cut deep in his right side. He grabbed the third guard and threw him in front of the first, the two fell. With his dagger now drawn he plunged the blade of it into the back of the third soldier. the first man was standing again, He could hear guards in the distance. Aischylos grabbed a sword off the ground and charged quickly. He felt a pain but pressed on, knocking his enemy into a wall. The now fearful guard held Aischylos' hands, trying despretly to fend off the blades. To no avail, he was kneed and dropped, the new fugitive severing his arm and stabbing him in the neck. Wounded and covered in blood, Aischylos surveyed the scene then followed after Rosetta.

He kicked dirt over every blood drop, he didn't need the soldiers and guards following them. About tem minutes into his journey he saw Rosetta. His pace picked up and he called to her. "You made it!" He said with a smile.

Rosetta waited for him. When she saw him coming he face contorted into an expression of worry. She looked at him and said "you bleeding....your hurt..." she sad softly. She looked at him and said "What should we do?" she asked him worried. He looked like he had lost a fair amount of blood, but they couldn't stop now or they'd be found.

"Should we keep going?" she asked him, unsure of what to do.

"Yea. This is nothing. I've had worse." He lied, quite well. They'd make it a way's before he'd have to stop. "I'll follow you, that way if they find us you can run ahead." He needed an excuse if he started to slow, this was also practical, she didn't need him slowing her down if she had to run for it. "Any small town will do, they've all been sacked by the church."

She looked at him and nodded and said "Alright" she said. She turned and began to walk ahead a little. She couldn't help but feel a little worried. He had been covered in blood. Perhaps he had been lying to her when he told her he was fine. She wouldn;t put it past a man to put on a brave face.

He would need a doctor, or at least someone skilled with treating wounds when they arrived. For now he tied a strip of a blanket around his shoulder and a large prtion around his waist. It was hard to do on the move, but he felt it would sufice. "Have you ever been out this way?" He needed to keep himself occupied, simply walking was not going to do it for him.

"A few times" she said softly. "But only with my Aunt...she would take me to the spring and we would pick flowers and play in the water" she said softly. She walked at an even pace. She didn't want for him to fall behind to much becouse of his injuries.

"Sounds nice. So you went swimming for fun." His life had just fallen apart, he'd not had the time to enjoy the little things while living it, but everything he had known was just revealed as a lie. He still felt empty and unsure. he thought by asking her questions, he could get an idea of what life should be like.

Elise continued to walk and said "Yeah it was...though...I wish my mother had been the one to show it to me...it would have felt more right" she said softly.

"Why would it have felt more right?" Never having known his parents, this seemed a perfectly good question. Maybe he was missing something, he'd always felt that he had been.

Elise seemed to look down a little and said "Because...its how it works...you experience something as a child, you pass that on to your own...its almost your duty...but...my Aunt was left to do it" she said as she walked.

He felt confused. "Isn't that what family is for? To be there when your parents can not be." He sped up a little. "Do they have that duty?"

Elise spoke again and said " That may be so...however somthings only feel best when it is your mother teaching you...like showing you your first grown plant, or teaching you how to make a pie using a recipie passed down through the generations" she said softly.

He gave her a small smile. There was no more he felt like asking right now. "I can see why that would be so important to anyone." He had started reevaluating his life when he chose to go down this path, but he had no idea he would get glimpses into a life he had never known.

Elise kept walking and said "It is important....and it was taken from me by the the church" she said softly as they continued to walk.

"I'm sorry." He wasn't at fault for the crime, but he wished he'd been changed so many years ago. "My parents never had a thing to teach me. Unlike your parents, there's absolute proof of what mine were. I don't think I needed t be raised by them." He was silent for a moment. "Looking back, the church was no better. I should have just ran off."

Rosetta looked at him as he spoke. She nodded and she sighed a little and continued to walk. She smiled at him and said "There is no reason to lament on past mistakes" she told him softly.

"It's hard not to do." his eyes fell to the path as they walked. years of strict upbringing, and the atrosities he'd committed, the new feelings he'd been developing... all compiled to take a toll on him. This past few days being the heaviest weight on his shoulders. "I'm in a strange new world, and I'm the only thing that changed." He tightened the makeshift bandages. "How can you move foreward in life?"

Rosetta looked at him and said "To move forward in life....you start by doing one thing" she told him. She pause for a moment before she said "And that is to first forgive your self" she told him softly. "If you want the forgiveness of others, how can you expect it, if you your self have not forgiven your self for what you have done?" she asked.

Aischylos stopped walking. Her words made sense to him and he felt that this would be a good time. He never said a word out loud but after a while he opened his eyes. "I still don't feel any better, forgiving myself." He didn't know, maybe it still took time. As he began to continue foreward he stopped again. He could hear hoof beats in the distance. They were too slow to be guards in pursuit, and there was a faint turning of wheels. Looking behind him, he saw a sillouet of a cart coming thier way. "Maybe we can get a ride."

Roseeta was about to reply when he heard the hoof beats her self. She turned around to look getting worried. She saw the cart and was relived when she saw it was just some civilians. "Maybe" she said when he suggested that they might be able to get a ride. Anything to get them moving faster would be good.

As the cart drew near Aishylos stepped out in the road waving his hands. "Hello there!" he made sure to give a smile. "Am I glad to see you." The driver pulled on the reigns and the horses slowed to a stop. "Good god man! What happened to you?" The man exclaimed.

"We were ambushed on our way to the next town." He motioned for Roseta to come to his side.
"May we trouble you for a ride. It doesn't matter how far."

The man looked at his wife then at the two. "A woman and a wounded man need not be walking." He was hesitant in his words but offered anyway. "Get in."

"Thank you sir, thank you." Aischylos truely was thankful, the pain was getting bad. "You're angels on earth." He gave the man and his wife a short bow before ushering Rosetta in front of him, ever believing that ladies should go first. even wounded he helped to steady her as she got on the cart.

Rosetta moved to his side when he gestured for her. She was grateful that the man in the cart allowed them to ride with him. She got into the cart easily with their help and she turned to help Aischylos in.

Once he was inside she sat down and said "How are you feeling?" she asked him looking concerned. She hoped he had not lost too much blood. That might be problematic later on.

Back
Top Bottom