Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Rule of the Church is Absolute (me and Fogu_s_Tofu)

"The enforcers were started to protect the church and it's people." He knew the history, few these days remembered such, as they were now the thugs of greedy priests. "Then the corruption set in. They started raising the orphans in their twisted ways." He'd pointed to himself. "We never knew any better, and I wonder how much died with a tainted soul. How many innocents, I'll never know the extent of what we've done. At least, if I can save one, I'll have done something good. Leaving something good in the world."

Rosette looked at him and almost seemed to smile. "Perhaps your not as bad as I thought you were...". She looked at him and said "But, I need to leave...I do not plan on dying today...you may be strong, but you can't protect me from all of them" she she began to move around the house, packing things away.

"I was supposed to kill you last night. If I didn't show, there were to be others sent for you this morning." just then the door burst open and three guards rushed in. Aischylos drew his dagger and pinned her down, giving her a wink. "Sorry." He mouthed as he tore her dress before looking back at the others "What are you doing here!?" He shouted.

One of the three stepped foreward. "We were sent to..." He never let the man finnish. "I know why you were sent! Go back and tell Father Otis she didn't arrive untill this morning. I want to savor this moment allone." One of the men gave him a sceptical look but the two were ushered out by the first. When he was sure they were gone he let loose of Rosetta.

Rosetta saw him wink at her but she could not figure out why. Then when he tore at her dress, her face turned red. She looked at the guards and and put on an act of distress.

Once they left he quickly pushed him off her, her face going red and holding up the torn part of her dress with her hand. She looked at him and turned away a little and continued to pack, unable to say a word becouse of her embarrassment and for the fact that, for a split second...she had feared him.

He paid no attention to her as he watched the door. "We don't have long. A few hours at best." He had to get her out of here. He sheathed his dagger and turned to her. "Do you need any help?"

She shook her head when he asked if she needed help. Rosetta packed a few things, the money she had, a few sets of clothes and some food, and a couple of personal mementos before she quickly mended the part of her dress he had torn. She looked at him and said "I'm ready to go" she told him confidently, even though she had no idea where he would take her.

A few ideas for refuge came to mind, for now, they could hide in the city. He needed to collect a few things he'd set away, some money, clothes. "Alright, follow me." He began to lead her through the streets, taking as many back allies as he could. He kept checking on her, looking back to see if she were alright.

He took her to a small building in the poor quarter. The three story building, was home to three families. The inside was open, there was not a single wall to devide the floor into rooms. A woman was changing as they came though the second, she showed no shame. Modesty was not available here. She gave them a smile as if welcoming in guests and continued without pause. The third floor. It was empty save for a chest, a table and a chair. Almost everything was coated in a thick layer of dust. Aischylos took a key from his pocket and unlocked the chest. Coins and jewels were along the bottom, a single change of clothes. He scooped up everything in the cloth they were laying on and tied the corners together. Making it ready for the morning her handed her a blanket. "We stay here tonight."

Rosetta followed him through the streets and alley ways of Venice. She kept a low profile and followed him, a few paces behind, making sure not to loose sight of him.

The streets grew less crowded and less full of life as they moved to the poorer areas of the city. He led through the building and averted her eyes when she saw the women changing. She was used to her modesty and privacy. She watched as he led her up through the building. She saw him open a chest but she turned away to look around the room for a moment. She took the blanket and she nodded and said "Where will we go tomorrow?" she asked him softly.

he looked her in the eye and replied to her question. "I don't know." They needed to get to a place where the church held little power. It needed to be a city where the churc took such a toll that faith had been lost. It was a sad assessment, but a cruel truth. This place, it would be their safe haven.

She looked at him and she nodded. So instead of asking him more questions, she sat down on the floor, putting her bag down and wrapped her self up in the blanket. She looked down for a moment , thinking about a few things. She heled he cross in her hands and she wished it was different. She wished her parents were still alive.

He sat across from her on the floor. "I never could figure out why these could be so cold." He lit a candle from the chest and sat it nearest to her. "I'll find something to eat in a while. It's too soon to start wandering the streets again. Unless we want to lose our heads." The truth in those words were from his personal experiences. How many times had he lopped off a heratic's head, he couldn't say.

Rosetta looked at him and nodded when he said he would look for some food. She looked at him and said "I wonder if this is how I will live out my life....always running..." she said softly. She closed her eyes and began to pray, praying for gods safety, and once again for his guidance.

"I'll not let that happen. You'll get your second chance Rosetta. I will personally see to that."
All he had to do was kill Father Otis, the man in the black tunic and every enforcer trained in the church. It was currently about twenty people in total. This was going to be a challenge.

Rosetta looked at him and said "How will you do that?" she asked him. He couldn't possibly be thinking of slaughtering everyone in the church. The city guard would be after his head if he did that...well they already were after his head...or they would be by tomorrow. She guessed he really had nothing to loose then. She looked at him and said "You don't have to sacrifice so much for me..."

"It's for the both of us really. Your life and my soul. I'm damned either way, but you, you have a chance." He took a bloodied cloth from his pocket, and held it up for her. "This is all I've ever seen. I've paid no attention to life. Just the goal set out before me by another." He threw the cloth to the floor. "My eyes finally open, and I see you, children playing, gardens filled with flowers. I've been living in the dark, no life to speak of. I'm dead as it is."

Aischylos leaned back to rest on his elbows. "I believe our good lord wanted me to see you. there's a reason you're not dead." The stern determined look in his eyes was quite clear. "I'll do anything to keep you safe."

This man was clearly devoted to this mission.

Rosetta watched as he pulled the cloth from his pocket. She understood now. She looked at him and nodded. She spoke softly and said "Thankyou...I will pray to god and ask him to forgive you... your a good man Aischylos...even if your heart has been shrouded in darkness..." she said softly.

He smiled at her. "That's the first time I've heard that from a person."
Those few words she told to him, was more a reward than any piece of silver or gold he'd ever been paid.
"I'll pray for the strength that we will both need as well." He himself, felt god had stopped listening, even though he prayed every day. he warmed his hands over the candle and rubbed them together as he drew away from the flame. "I'll also see if I can find a few more blankets." These would certainly offer more comfort and warmth.

Rosette nodded and seemed to smile a little when he said that he too would also pray. She wrapped the blanket around her tightly and she nodded. "Alright" she said when he said he would see if he could get some more blankets. This place away a lot colder then her home. Her home may have not been an extravagant villa in the country, but to her it was special. She hoped that one day she could return to it and that the guards would not burn it to the ground, along with all her memories.

The rest of the day was uneventful, he'd gone out and bought a number of different foods, for the entire building. He'd always helped out the poor... if they weren't slated for execution. The night, he'd given his blanket to her.

Morning came and he started to get around. Making sure he had everything he shook her shoulder. "Come, Rosetta." He said repeatedly untill her eyes opened. "Weve got to leave now, it's just light enough, but we can sneak. There are alot of guards out today."

Rosetta groaned a little when he shook her awake. Sleeping sitting up was not what she was used to and she felt a little sore. She opened her eyes and she looked at him and nodded. She rubbed the sleep out of her eyes and stood up trying to get back to her senses. "Where are we going?" she asked him softly.

"As far away as possible." He answered helping her up. "We need to move fast, the outskirts of the city are not far from here." He rolled up the blankets, they would be needed, and he grabbed any extra food. "It's the city guard, not just the enforcers. I thought that little rat with Father Otis looked familiar." A politician, but Aischylos couldn't remember his name.

Rosetta nodded. She quickly packed up her things and put her bag on her back and said "Alright...lets go then" she told him softly and began to make way for the door. But then she stopped and waited for him. She didn't know where they were going to she waited for him to lead instead of her.

He stepped out the door after she had stopped. "WE will be going north. There are a few towns that way. Town's left in turmoil after the church emposed their will." His tone was grim at the memories. "We will be helped, in one town or another." Soon he'd led her into the streets, sticking to every side road and ally he could lead her through.

Rosetta followed him through the alleys but she was still worried. They would still have to go through the main gate. No doubt that would mean a confrontation with some guards.

as they appraoched the gates, their long walk came to a sudden stop as he put an arm out in fron of her. There were several guards posted at the city's exit. He needed to get her close enough to escape while he held up the guards. There were some large wine jugs stacked she could use the crowd to sneak across to them.
"Rosetta, do you see those urns over there?" He pointed them out, a good sprint from them and she would be outside of the wall. "I need you to make your way to them when the crowd thickens. I'll distract the guards, you'll need not worry about me. Just run and fast."

Back
Top Bottom