Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fallout 4 Reveal?!

TheMadMan

Star
Not sure if anyone else has seen this yet. But the Bethsoft page for Fallout has changed. To a countdown.

http://fallout.bethsoft.com/

I'm really looking forward to this. I wonder if they're going to shake up their open world formula a bit.

Multiplayer plz. I kindasorta understand why they want to keep Elder Scrolls mainline games pure singleplayer, but ZeniMax clearly has thoughts about multiplayer (lol ESO), I just want them to try something less... Massive. I only need one other player. Just one actual human to work with me intelligently.

I'm on the fence with MP. On one hand it sounds awesome to play a co-op Fallout game. It would be like a more serious, less run and gun, Borderlands. However, I always find that the pacing of a game is less enjoyable in co-op. Would New Vegas have the same atmosphere while running around with another player? Maybe I've only played co-op with players that are GO GO GO, but I really enjoy taking games at my own pace. I think, at best, it would be an experience where I would have to play through the game both alone and with a partner.

This is worth the double-post/bump.

First off, the trailer is out: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lMS7Q4l1IE0

Secondly, you can pre-purchase the game now for $47 through Green Man Gaming. The following link has all of the details: http://www.gamespot.com/articles/get-fallout-4-pc-for-46-via-preorder/1100-6427795/?utm_source=gamefaqs&utm_medium=partner&utm_content=news_module&utm_campaign=homepage

I kinda hope they take more influence from New Vegas than from Skyrim...

Also I'm intrigued- Boston sounded pretty cool from how it was described in F3, the graphics seem to be a nice bump up (Assuming it's in-engine, though I'm willing to bet parts of it aren't) and it has honest-to-god colour in it.

Plenty of people are raging about the graphics. I'm personally liking the way the game looks. Sure the textures aren't Witcher 3 quality, but what really looks good are the environments. They look lived in with just the right amount of clutter. Hopefully we'll see more real junk piles, and less mounds of soupy grey concrete.

The rather funny thing about people raging about the graphics is they are judging the graphics through a Youtube video than first hand experience with game itself. Anyways, people will always judge the graphics by the highest possible standard available, though it honestly should be the last thing judged at all. Either way they look better than Vanilla Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim. Give modders a few weeks and the game will look better than even Witcher 3.

EDIT:
Also, look at all the games that came out over the last couple of years that had amazing graphics but either were broken, glitchy messes, or just didn't last all that long. I'd much rather have a game that ran well, lasts a long time -- I'm still playing Fallout New Vegas and Skyrim even after 4-5 years -- , and only looks decent.

Well... Bethsoft doesn't have a real good track record with games that run well. Maybe they'll get their act together with this one, but I highly doubt it. Sometimes the glitchyness in their games is half the amusement; other times their glitch-fest games makes for an infuriating experience (Skyrim PS3).

A lot of glitches that plague Bethsoft games honestly come from the games' engine, they just try to work around the problems and limit them to the best of their programmers' abilities. It seems they're using a new engine with Fallout 4, though we won't know until their E3 conference.

Anyways, I never played Skyrim on the PS3, mostly because I'm not a masochist. Though, I did hear that it was even glitchier mess than normal. I wonder why....

I'm doubtful they build a new engine from the ground up. Even the engine for Skyrim was modified Gamebryo. I'm sure this one will be either derivative of the Skyrim engine, or an offshoot modified from Fallout 3. Regardless, the roots are most likely still Gamebryo. That doesn't mean it'll be bad, however. Maybe they fixed all of the issues; only time will tell.

When the game first came out, it was either PS3 or 360 for me. I played PS3 more, so I bought it on PS3. I have a good PC now, so I think that's the only platform I'd ever dream of playing it on again. Mods make a world of difference.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vZuDK_QU_w[/video]

I'm certainly more optimistic, but I'm still going to play it safe and take everything shown/said with a grain of salt. Still the setting looks good, graphics look good, and the weapon customization and setting generation look quite good.

Considering Hearthfire was the part of Skyrim I found most engrossing and interesting, having it turned up to eleven really amps things up. Having the main character go the 'commander Shepard' route is... odd. Not sure how I feel about it, and I think it might severely limit dialogue trees.

The modding support for consoles is very interesting. However, I think it's going to be more limiting than true mod support. Having used mods extensively on PC, I can say that you need a very good PC to really play around with anything that will turn the game into something new. Considering console games are optimized to squeeze as much as they can out of the CPU and GPU, how much overhead room will they really have?

You have to figure that whatever mods are made available on Xbox One will be pretty heavily screened, both for content and for performance. Can't have mods on console that would break the game from running or introduce inappropriate content. So yeah, I bet the really fancy ENB's and really crazy stuff won't make it to console. It is still interesting to see this ground be broken.

I'm very excited for November!

Crescent said:
You have to figure that whatever mods are made available on Xbox One will be pretty heavily screened, both for content and for performance. Can't have mods on console that would break the game from running or introduce inappropriate content. So yeah, I bet the really fancy ENB's and really crazy stuff won't make it to console. It is still interesting to see this ground be broken.

I'm very excited for November!

Todd Howard explains it differently:

As for how mods will work with Fallout 4, Howard explained that players will actually "create another version of your save game." From there, you choose from the menu to play a modded game, so that way nothing terrible can happen to your main save if things break.

When asked if Bethesda will approve modes before being posted through Bethesda.net, Howard said, "We don't want to. We'll see how we have to go through that.

"The plan is that it goes through Bethesda.net, but ... outside of things that we would normally take down — we take down things on Steam Workshop if it's got things that are illegal, or things like that — we'll do the same thing."

http://ie.ign.com/articles/2015/06/16/e3-2015-bethesdas-todd-howard-talks-about-fallout-4-mod-support

Then again, it's Todd Howard so... yeah, might be false/different in the end.

I'm super excited for this. I played FO3 a few times through. I played NV more. And I played naughtified NV a ton. So I imagine I will play this alot, then play more when it gets sexified lol.

I've put in about three hours, been having a decent time so far.

Merging skills, SPECIAL and perks into one amorphous mass has me wary right away, but crafting/settlement building has been nice.

I've put in plenty of time. The only thing that throws me off is the crafting and settlement stuff. Having to stop to put a bunch of time into very laboriously setting up these settlements ruins the pacing for me. The interface is entirely clunky, and it becomes a chore to figure out which settlers are doing what. Making a large building worth the time and effort takes way too long, and costs way too many materials. I've sunk hundreds and hundreds of metal and wood into a single building, and it's not even that large.

Everything outside of the settlement management is good. I think the graphics are just fine, so I don't know why everyone is whining about them. I really like how blue the sky is, and how that brightens up the palette used in the game. Walking around during a radiation storm gives the game a super creepy, final level kind of feel. Everything that was featured in the previous games looks way better, and just the higher poly count on the models allows me to give it the edge over my modded New Vegas. Also, I really like the way some of the guns sound, especially the rifles and laser rifle; explosions are nice too.

When I'm doing Fallout things, the game feels great. When I'm doing the new shit, it feels like a slog and exhausts me much faster.

Never used CASM, although I should have. Every so often something crazy happens, I die, and I'm set back a good twenty minutes. This game has proven to be easy enough that I'm not dying unless a mini nuke hits me.

Speaking of easy: Deathclaw. Just walk into a building, and shoot it from within. They cannot enter doorways in this game.

Also, the map feels very small compared to the other games, but it's nice how often you hear distant pops of gunfire. I always go to investigate, and find some battle going on. Just ran across some Raiders attempting to attack one of my settlements. There are pops of nice touches in this game, but the whole settlement thing bogs it down.

I have five power armors too. They're kinda all over the place, but at the very least I don't have armor on all of them. If I had stripped the power armor from the raiders, I would, but I don't want raider power armor. It looks like a heap of junk; I want the T-51.

A good tip for those not worried about crafting settlement shit: don't put points into crafting skills. While it might seem like a good idea to put your points into gun crafting and armor crafting, you don't need to. As soon as you come across a weapon/armor with better mods, just strip those parts and put them onto the weapons/armor you are using. The only downside is that you have to have the parts to modify the gun with the mods you want down to the basic model. If a sniper has a nice .50 mod, you'll need the parts to turn it back into a standard receiver. Keeping old mods will allow you to just swap that gun down, however.

Oh, good advice on the mods. I'm thinking I might reroll my character - This is a very combat-heavy game thus far, and my nerdy talker is getting perforated with uncomfortable regularity. I'd like playing a character who can sneak decently with good melee skill. Even my very limited agility has led to some sneaky fun in my current game.

I have 10 of both intelligence and charisma right now, a single combat perk, and I'm above level 25. The high intelligence will give you more experience points, so you can quickly start to cover your weaknesses. The charisma is useful for getting extra exp or results from quests. I think you need at least 7 or 8 to get the orange dialog checks and ten to get the red checks. If you are also doing settlement stuff, there are some very useful charisma perks. Local Leader will allow you to connect your settlements, so you can access workbenches more easily, and set up new settlements with your main pool of resources. The first perk in line, that gives you better prices in shops, will eventually allow you to build shops that will put caps back into your pocket. I've been investing into the crafting and utility perks, because if I'm going to do the settlement thing, they're going to be the best around next to Diamond City. Building Water Purifiers should also give you excess purified water in your workshop, which you can use to craft better items (to sell or use).

My Endurance is only like 4, and my strength only 3. I'm only playing on normal, so perhaps that why I'm not having any trouble with the combat. If you're looking to go with a sneaky melee character, then I can understand how my build might not work as well. You'll want ninja, of course, and also the melee skills with strength. I don't feel as though you need that much endurance if you're using stealth primarily, and have a good supply of stims and med-x. You should also be crafting food, because it's really good in this game now. Charisma can also help in this build, because it has a perk that can DOUBLE the effects of alcohol, and make it so you don't get addicted. That's a solid boost to strength for combat. If you're into chems, then the appropriate perk in intelligence will also allow you to get a massive boost off of chems for damage and endurance as well. You can craft enhanced versions of buffout and psycho that will give you 3 strength each (I think they stack). Tie all of that together, and you'll have plenty of strength for hairy battles, some endurance to boot, extra damage resistance, and be an all around Greyfox.

As far as stealth is concerned, there's a chest piece in the game that gives you a kind of gimped stealth boy while still and crouched. There's also armor mods also make you harder to see in dark areas, and leg pieces have a muffled modifier that makes you less noisy while moving. The other armor has lightweight modifiers that give you extra AP too, and decreases the item weight. The problem is that you'll need like 3 in armor to craft that stuff, but as you level you'll find it all out in the wild anyway.

If you're doing settlement shit, and want to do it very well, then your combat skill will take a back seat. If you don't care about that, then you have more room to pump points into agility, strength and the associated perks. Regardless keep the high intelligence. If you want to unlock the extra dialog and get bonus exp (around 26), then you'll want that high charisma too (also can be boosted through chems, equipment and whatnot).

Back
Top Bottom