Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

A Lesson In Trust (P) -Ladydark/AndNich123-

Ladydark

The minds master
Detrick was pretty high ranking in the magic world, despite his young age. He had graduated from his school a full year early and was at the top of the school, not just his class, in marks. Which was why he was asked back every now and then to help tutor other younger magic users who were having a hard time and to teach the occasional lesson. Which was why he was in the school today, giving a motivational speech to some first year students, there were also a few 2nd and 3rd years as well.

"Just think... One day you may be able to do this!" He raises his hands in the air quickly and claps, a green mist forms over the crowd of students and soon turns into a dragon. The dragon flies over them breathing fire and roaring, but the fire never touches anyone and isn't even hot, after a few minutes it bursts in the hundreds of butterflies that soon disappear. "So keep studying and you may be as good as me some day..." With that he smiles and walks back stage, the speech over.

Jinx had been standing in the doorway with some of the teachers listening in. She didn't any help with her magic, as it was, but had asked if she could listen in. Born to two non magical parents, her name was what she was implied to be. A jinx. True it was that her family's blood lines were rich with power, she seemed to have been born far too late for it to make any sense why she had as much power as she did.

She rolled her eyes at his demonstration with the green mists. "Watch this," she whispered to a teacher who returned a smile her way. She waves her hands chanting and a white cloud forms over the students. Of course oblivious to her at the door, the students feel certain it is the work of their guest speaker from back state. The white cloud, much like his, forms into a dragon breathing fire and smoke as well. With a dismissive wave of her hands, he forms into snow that falls to the students bellow. She nods with approval. "How's that?" She waits to see if he even noticed.

"Impressive... But it could be better..." He said as he slowly walked down the steps from backstage "You lack the ability to create more creatures from your initial one... Which would be handy in a fight... Because would you rather have one dragon..." He snaps his fingers and a fireball appears in his hand, the soon turns into a small dragon "Or two..." The first dragon breaths fire at her as he reaches them and a second dragon forms from the fire on her shoulder "To fight for you..." He smiles and waves them both away. "You have talent... What year are you..." He looks her over slightly.

"I have one more year after this. I have had private tutors as my powers were out of control. I have them under control now." The teacher to her side let out a muffled laugh. "Alright. So I blew up one alchemy table. It can happen to anyone." She rolled her eyes. "What you did with the dragons though, impressive. Indeed."

She nodded to the teacher. "I shall see you in class, and yes I'm ready for MY pryro demonstration. You're not the only one handy with fire," she smirked to him. Detrick. Sir," she nodded to them both respectively before heading down the long hallway towards her next class.

"Why thank you... Although that was one of my lower level spells..." He smiles "Oh... Well I'll have to stay and watch then, won't I..." He gives a slight nod of his head and moves to find a seat for her show, quietly talking with the teachers around him. He also signs some autographs for the younger students, even preforming a few small tricks while they wait for the next demonstration.

The lights fall, and darkness settles in. Suddenly several fireballs are vaulted high into the air above the students. They take different forms and shapes from animals to trees. They all combine to form a ceiling of fire that was cause the untrained eye to believe the building was indeed on fire. They vanish into nothing, and the room falls dark once more. Instantly, the candles surrounding the room ignite at once, an she stands on stage with her hands outstretched. Much to the applause she begins throwing fire and bending it to her will. Anything from clothes to copies of her own form. She even manages to make it sound as if they fire is playing music. Various colors even fill the room. The students are delighted.
Fire and spells are her forte', and she excels. She eyes the student from before, and not to be outdone by him makes a bold decision. The fire surrounds him lifting him high without so much as a single hair singed. She dismiss the fire causing him to fall only to caught by another fire that breaks off into fireworks as he lands on it. She smiles much to their gracious applause once more nodding to signify her demonstration is over. Quickly walking down the aisle she passes him noting, " and that's how it's done."

He smiles and plays along with her act, even setting himself 'on fire' when she surrounds him with fire to give a better effect. He smirks as she walks by him and relaxes into his chair "We'll see..." He talks to a few more teachers and students before getting up and leaving to help a few students with there studies.

A few days later Detrick returns to the school to teach another class, a potions class to the seniors, "Alright... Everyone read through chapter 4 and gather the ingredients for the truth potion.... Now this recipe is for a potion that only lasts 2 minutes..." He sits and waits for his class to be caught up.

She walks into the class looking down at her schedule with he arms loaded full of books. "Is this potions class 101 with a Mr......she tried to find the name of the teacher, but could not. She finally looked up saying, "well you know your name." She stopped cold when she saw it was him. "You? It's you. What are you?" Remembering the other students, she decides to remain civil and respectful. "After the alchemy table, they transferred me here. My papers," she said handing him her papers.
She found a seat quickly while a couple around her moved. Nice. She began to take out her supplies as well.

He looks up as a new student enters the class and tilts his head slightly, she was too young for this class... "Yes... I'm Mr Strongs... Ok..." He looks over her papers and smirks slightly "You really blew it up... Well then..." He flicks his wrist and a small marble appears in his hand, he flicks it over to her, the marble enlarges to become a large bubble. The bubble goes around her and her work station the goes invisible "There... Anything goes wrong... It's contained in the bubble, with you..." He smirks "Your papers say to take precautions to avoid damages... Sorry Miss Jinx..." He glances at the rest of the class "Well... nothing to see, back to work!" He smiles and relaxes again.

She works looking up at him every so often as he is busy as well. The little jerk. Putting me in this stupid bubble. So what if I blew up one table? It was only one, and they found most of it. Soon, however, the bubble proves useful as she has mixed up the wrong herbs, and it fills with smoke. She coughing, choking, but she refuses to ask for help. Jinx is a proud, stubborn little witch. If only this were her spells class. She knows she excels at.
She cleans up and begins again this time making sure to be careful. She won't the same mistake twice. She more focused on her work. Her eyes watching carefully every little move she makes. She adds her last ingredient followed by a smile. The potion turned green. Just like it was suppose to. "I did it," she whispers.

"What was that Miss Jinx..." He asks as he was walking by, checking everyone's progress, he glances at hers "Well done... That should be readying for testing... Pour some in a vial and stand at the front of the class with everyone else..." He continues his rounds of the room and sends more students to the front and before long everyone had completed their work. "Alright everyone... Time to test your potions... We will go in order of finish times... Step up, drink you potion and I'll ask you a question..."

When he explained how they would be testing their potions, she paled. Oh no. What if I got it wrong? What if this makes me sprout a tail or cat ears or something? Or worse. What if it actually works? I'll have to answer him. She listened to the questions as it neared her turn. They all seemed innocent enough. Maybe this wouldn't be so bad after all. Unless of course she was wrong and she ended up with a tail and ears. She eyed her potion as her turn approached. When it was her turn she gulped before looking up to him. "Here goes nothing," she said raising the vial up in the air. The liquid was cold and surprising good. She showed him she had swallowed the potion and waited for him.

Detrick smiles as she comes up "If you did it right... You'll be fine..." He takes out a clean sheet of paper to record her answer. "Alright... Something easy... What do you really think of me..." He smirks at her, he knew she'd normally lie about this. He glances at the other students he'd already asked, they were questioning each other before it wore off.

Her face reddens, but she's not sure if it's anger or blushing. "I..I..really think you're a blow hard, full of yourself, who thinks he so much better than everybody else, and truthfully, you..are. You're brilliant. With magic!" She folded her arms not certain there was some blushing there though she was angry he would as such a question knowing she could not lie.

Send this user a private message Find all posts by this user

He chuckles lightly as she starts to answer, that was pretty much what he thought she'd say. "You are talented with magic as well... You just need the right teacher..." He looks at her before she heads to her seat "Is there anything you Really want to ask me Miss Jinx..." His pen still on her paper.

She knows what she wants to ask him with his last comment still in her mind. He is the best, and she aspires to be the best. She needs someone to help her. Someone to train her, but him? She glares back him there with his pen and her paper. "Yeah. There is. You wouldn't happen to know a good magic tutor would you?" She smirked knowing her question was a bit snide.

He chuckle again "I may know someone..." He allows her to return to her seat as he continues to question the older students. Jinx was definitely a very stubborn girl, but she was a strong magic user and he wanted her, she just didn't know that yet.

The pompous windbag, she thought watching him. Rolling her eyes she couldn't wait for class to be over. She always hated potions class. Spells were where she excelled. A brilliant caster, in her own right, as well as a crafter of. Potions, on the other hand, were one failed experiment after another. All the students had been questions, and she was grateful. This sick test, as she thought of it due to their inability to not answer him truthfully, was over. "Now what," she mumbled not even sure if he heard her or not

He smiles to his class "Well done everyone... I'm going to reward you with the rest of the class off... Potions class is tough, I know I started out poorly... My very first class... I turned my face green... For a week..." He chuckles with everyone else "but once I understood it, it came so easily to me... You just have to try your best and open your mind... Now you may all go..." He smiles and takes a seat, he closes his eyes a moment as Jinx passes him and gets a mental lock on her, he opens his eyes again, he'd be able to find her anywhere now, and she'd never know.

She passes by him without so much as a look. Out in the halls, she drops most of the items she's carrying. Great. She kneels down to pick them up frustrated thinking she is never going to pass that class. She decides to take her next class, a free period, and see if he can go outside to practice on her own. Alone. She lies to her teacher that it's spell casting practice, knowing they won't object. If she had wanted to practice potions, they would insist she go back to the classroom. With him. No. She could do this all her own. The black cloud she produced that threw her to behind proved otherwise. "You've got t be kidding me! How come that happened? I put in three sprigs of wolves bane. 4 clovers, and 8 drops of dragon's blood."

He silently walks up behind her, she was pretty far from the main school, working near the forest. "Did you read everything before just jumping in to it... The foot note after the ingredients list says not to add the dragons blood until AFTER the pot has boiled..." He stands a few feet away and crosses his arms "You are too impatient... Which is fine for spell casting... You need to be quick!" He waves his hand and sends an ice ball towards her, then a fire ball.

He startles her, but when she realizes it's him, she turns away from him rolling her eyes. "Why are you here?" She grabs the book looking for this footnote and frowns when she sees it. "So it does. So it does. I'll get it right next time." She senses him more than anything as he hurls the ice ball and the fire ball. Dropping the book, she easily deflects both of them. "What are you crazy? Why did you do that?" The look of anger clear in her eyes as she glares at him once more. "You could have hit me with those you know. Why don't you go back to the school? I've got permission to be here." Picking up the book, she began again.

"You should always be at the ready... I was testing your casting skills" he circles her slowly to watch her "Ah... Keep reading before you add that... You should read everything first..." He tosses a ball of smoke back and forth between his hands before letting it melt between his finger and pool in the grass, turning into a beautiful snake. The snake hisses lightly and slithers around his feet then moves closer to her. "He's harmless..." He comments off handedly.

"Would you stop," she snaps. "You're making me nervous. How do you know I wasn't going to read that before I added that?" Truth was she wasn't. "Why don't they put that part before telling you to add it anyway? Would cut down on a lot of other students who don't read making that mistake." She's not paying attention to how much she's adding either. "He better be harmless, or he'll be dinner. Burnt snake," she snickers. "You didn't answer my question though. Do I need to make some more truth potion and give it to you? Why are you here?"

The snake moves closer to her and splits into two, one going to each side of her "I have no more classes to teach and I felt magic being done out here... I came to check it out..." He smiles and takes a few steps back "You really should pay closer attention to what you are..." Suddenly the contents of the pot explode "...doing... You are too eager to finish... That is why you fail..." She was blown back slightly, making her fall on her back, and that is when the snakes attacked, one going to each hand and coiling around them, making it impossible for her to cast a spell.

Back
Top Bottom