Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Running Away ((Blair1216&&Lady_Squall_Lionheart))

Leaning in to his kiss, Vera pouted, looking ready to argue.

The doctor cleaned Vera's stomach off and started to gather her things. "I'll have you scheduled against for two weeks from today," she said, "Have a good day." She gave them a smile, then left the room, deciding to leave the two new parents to their privacy.

Vera gently sat up and began to change back into her clothes. "Jason, you already work too much," she argued as soon as they were alone, "I can't let you do that. This isn't even your responsibility." She swallowed hard, feeling trapped in the fact that she needed his help so desperately, but she hated pushing all of these 'commitments' on to him.

Jason nodded a little, muttering a quiet thank you to the doctor as she left before frowning at vera, dark eyes slitting as he considered her words, desperately holding onto his temper as he resisted the urge to lash out at her. “Well, then I’ll just find a better job. Or we could consider moving to the city, it would be easier to find something that would have health insurance and the like.”He said looking annoyed with her as he gathered her coat, helping her into it before walking out with her. His face set into hard lines, that said he wasn’t about to let her talk him out of helping her.

Vera walked with him to the car and ran her hand through her hair. She couldn't believe that he was willing to do all of this for her - get a new job, move to the city. It blew her away, and despite the fact that she was arguing, she was extremely surprised and grateful... She bit her lip and shook her head. "Jason, even if you have health insurance, we aren't actually married. Your insurance wouldn't cover me," she said, sliding into the driver's seat.

"I'll quit the diner," she said, pulling out of the parking lot, "And I will see if I can work at the antique shop full time. It's a lower impact job, and they have already offered letting me do it." She shrugged. "It doesn't pay as much, but... We'll figure it out. No need to move. This is the best location we could have in our situation, and if we went to the city, we would probably only be able to afford a tiny apartment." With that, she pressed her lips together and pulled into the parking area around the docks.

“Well, that’s true. But I’m sure there’s ways around that. Something.”Jason said his protectiveness demanding that he take care of this as he looked out the window as she drove. Nodding a little at her words, and despite his need to take care of her, relaxed as he realized he wouldn’t have to move. Because he knew he was better, more relaxed in the wild places left in the world, instead of confining himself to the city, a animal in a cage. Looking over at him he nodded. “True. We’ll see how this works out.”He said smiling a little as he looked over at her.

“You okay to be going to work now?”He said getting out of fthe car before bending down to look at her, wanting to make sure the woman was okay before he left to go back to work.

Vera nodded and gave him a soft, gentle smile. "I'm fine," she said, "I promise. I'll see you at home for dinner."

~*~

Two weeks later, Vera was walking around the kitchen, getting everything ready to go over to Mr. and Mrs. Wittington's house for dinner. It was Christmas Eve, and it made everything around them that much.... Cozier. Which was could, because she didn't get to go to work near as often as she used to. Only 9-5 Monday through Thursday at the antique shop. It gave her a lot of time to get the baby room together, obsess over baby books (she was no convinced she was going to be an awful mother), clean, and cook. In fact, she spent all day the day before baking and icing two dozen red velvet cup cakes, a pecan pie, and a potato casserole. Now, she was boxing everything up and making sure things were perfect. After all, Christmas was her favorite holiday, and while she wasn't expecting a bunch of presents like usual, she still planned to make sure all her favorite foods would be there to enjoy. She even had Christmas music playing in the back ground all day long...

"Jason? Are you almost ready? We have to be there in an hour," she said, calling his name down the hall. She had no idea what he had been up to all day while she had been cooking, but she just hoped he wasn't going to chicken out of going to dinner at the last second.

Her heels could be heard going across the old tile floor of the kitchen as she moved around. It was amazing she could still wear heels like she used to when she lived in New York, especially since she was now seven months pregnant, but she managed. She wanted to look nice after all, and she did. She was dressed up more than usual, and it lifted her mood a little.

56d5a840477d5cc17e7d3246bbf1f7c1.jpg

“Yea, yea I’m almost done. Give me a second.”Jason yelled back as he paused to look in the mirror, leaning forward to brush his dark hair out of his face, frowning as he looked at his eyes. Despite the constant wax and wane of his pupils, he thought it was settling deeper, more obvious as time past that he was different. Which scared him, because he knew there would be a point that he couldn’t hide just how different he was, and he didn’t want to put either vera or her daughter in danger. Growling in protective annoyance, even if it was just protecting her from himself. Swallowing hard he sighed, rubbing a hand over his face, raising a hand to make sure his fangs were out of sight before heading into the kitchen.

“Okay, whats going with us?And are you sure you should wear heels?They’re high. You might fall.”The man growled a little looking at her worried even as he picked up a few of the boxes of cupcakes. Looking comfortable and more put together than normal in the dark jeans, and deep red dress shirt, the man looked ready for a quiet, peaceful dinner.

Vera looked over her shoulder at him, smiling at the sight of him. "Jason, you look nice," she said, stepping back to take him in. It nearly blew her breath away to see him looking so dressed up. The man may be dangerous (and confusing, infuriating, secretive...) but he was handsome as hell. Drop dead sexy, in fact, and there was no wonder that he convinced her to have sex that night at the bar.

"The cupcakes, pie, and casserole," she said, "And I'll be fine in heels. I've spent the majority of my life in them before I moved here."

She rolled her eyes a bit and moved to get her coat, following him out to the car and being careful of anything that could trip her in the yard. "Now, remember," she said, sliding into the car. Quickly, she turned on the heater. "You have to refer to me as Penny in public, even if that's sort of weird. My real name just stands out to much..."

When they arrived at the party, Vera took a deep breath. Their house was nice, because in all honesty, they had quite a bit of money. They were retired, and the antique shop was more of a hobby. The people who were invited were people from all over the town, but it was still a rather small get together with food, drinks, and desserts.

"Penny!" Mrs. Whittington called, moving through the small crowd of people toward the front door. "It's so nice to see that you made it. And Jason, it's so nice to meet you. Here, let me take your coats." The older woman gave them a smile, and Vera leaned down to kiss her cheek.

"Thanks for inviting us," she said, "Here's a few things I baked..."

"What a sweetheart," Mrs. Whittington murmured, taking the boxes. "I'll set them in the kitchen."

As the old woman walked away, Vera slowly and gently placed her hand in Jason's hand, lacing her fingers with his. They had got comfortable with a little affection here and there, even though the sex had slowed down a bit, and they still have never actually kissed, which was a mystery to her.

“I don’t care. You weren’t pregnant until now, you’re off balance and all.“Jason said frowning a little as he hovered next to her as they walked out to the car, and despite holding all the boxes of food, he was still watchful to make sure she was okay before moving over to his own side of the car and getting in. “Penny. Okay. I can remember that.”He said frowning a little as he considered how odd it was, but he could do it.

Looking around him he felt out of sorts for a moment to see the well to do house, and while he had known they weren’t poor, he felt out of place suddenly there, especially with vera, who was used to the rich and famous. Even before he’d been changed, the man had been a simple rancher’s son, and after…well he’d just avoided everyone until vera.

Jason smiled, blushing ever so slightly as he slipped off his coat.”Thank you mrs. Whittington, its good to meet you to.”He said smiling as he handed her the coat, letting her set the coats aside before handing over the boxes of sweets. Holding vera’s hand he looked around him, absently rubbing his thumb over her knuckles as he tried to relax in the environment that was very different from what he was used to.

Vera squeezed his hand, wanting to comfort him as they walked through the house, nodding to the guests and saying some polite hellos. When they got to the other side of the room, she began to snack on some appetizers that were displayed on a table. "Are you okay?" looking up at him with concern. She had definitely grown to care for this man so much, that she was becoming in tune with his moods. He was always a reserved man, but she was starting to be able to decipher when he was upset or not. She could sense when his temper was rising, and when it did, she always noticed how his teeth became sharper and his pupils elongated into slits. And yet, she never questioned it. She just knew he'd eventually tell her when he was ready, and she just hoped it was not more serious that what she anticipated...

"Jason," Mrs. Whittington called, "I have to introduce you to someone that has asked about you." She said, smiling at the man. Gently, she started to lead the young couple across the house. "His name is Dr. Chad Ortz. He's knew in town and has no family, apparently. A nice man. He works at the hospital and has attended our church, so we invited him tonight. When I mentioned who all was coming, he was eager to meet you. He said he thinks he knows you." With that, she smiled and led them over to Chad, a tall man in his early fourties.

Vera's eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. "He knows Jason?"

"I know of Jason," Chad said with a smile, reaching out to shake Jason's hand, "And I'd like to have a chat with him, if you don't mind."

Vera looked hesitant at the idea of leaving him, but Mrs. Whittington seemed to trust the man. She started to pull Vera toward the kitchen. "Us girls can go make our way around the room," the elderly woman said with a wink.

jeffrey_dean_morgan_10.jpg

“I’m fine. Don’t worry.”Jason muttered at her question as he looked down at her, smiling slightly before starting, frowning at the woman’s words.”Really?Well…”He frowned looking concerned, careful to talk with his mouth closed, refusing to flash the fangs that had appeared at the mention of someone wanting to talk to him, frowning a little as the doctor approached him.

“….I don’t talk to anyone, doctor.”The man said, his voice a soft hiss as he considered what he wanted, before nodding to vera.”Go on penny, I’ll come find you in a bit.”He muttered before looking at the doctor as the women walked away.”What do you want?”He growled looking at ease and peaceful, though coiled to move, ready to strike out. With the easy speed of a serpent, he wasn't worried about the other hurting him.

Chad shook his head, looking around to make sure they were in private before looking back at Jason. "I don't want anything, and I'm not here to start any trouble," he said, "I'm a doctor that was on the original crew that worked on the mutation project, and no, I no longer work with them. I've moved to this town in an effort to find you, because you are the only person to escape the project that didn't do it through me." He paused and took a sip of his wine. "I think I can help you if you let me. You see, I have a community of people like you. People who have escaped from the project, and who have succeeded in doing so. I like to help those who need it, because in reality, I am at fault for your condition." He frowned a little. "Whether it be financially or just helping you harness your instincts and condition, I can help."

Jason frowned tensing a little as he got ready to hit the man who’d started the project before staring in startlement at his words. He hadn’t realized that the others had escaped. He’d assumed that he was the only one. And he had known he was alone the moment he caught the guard with his gaze and walked out. Like a serpent hypnotizing its prey, Jason had simply caught his eyes and walked out the door. He’d known that the ‘spell’ wouldn’t work long, and had bolted the moment he hit the doors, running as far as he could. Frowning as he thought.”How did you find me?”he said before stirring at the sound of the other’s words, frowning slightly as he glanced towards were vera had disappeared.

“Financially?Does that extend to just me?”he asked, willing to risk everything, even trust this doctor who’d created him, if it meant getting vera help.

Chad looked took another sip of his wine. "It was hard to do," he admitted, "And I can't say that my search was always successful. I started in Colorado." He smiled at that, hinting to the fact that he looked into his records. "In fact, it was a fluke, really. I came into the antique shop to look for a vintage pocket watch. I collect them, you see. Anyway, when Mrs. Whittington mentioned this party and started to go through the people who were coming, she mentioned you, and I decided to come here to see if I found you by sheer luck. And I did."

At the man's question, Chad looked a bit confused. His eyes glanced toward Vera, seeing her pregnant stomach. Just the sight of it made him shudder, because if that was Jason's baby, then all sorts of complications could arise. They never had bred the mutations before... "I'll help you in anyway I can," he said, nodding, "If that means helping with your family, I will do that. I just need your trust..."

Huh. Well. I’m sure you had fun chasing me in Colorado.”he muttered flushing a little as he looked away from him, despite his words, knowing that whatever the doctor had found when he left Colorado, all he’d left behind him were pain and death. “Interesting. It seems like luck has favored me.”he said sounding pleased because he needed the money, even if he knew he was taking a chance, he also knew there was no other way to help the woman his instincts were driving him to protect so fiercely that he worried that there would be a day that he killed anyone who caused her pain.

Jason’s smirk grew when he saw the man shudder, but didn’t bother correcting his assumption. He was willing to risk his own life, but telling chad for sure just who she was, was beyond the question. Because he knew eventually chad would figure out who she would, he just was going to put it off as far as he can. “You know better. Trust does not come easy to your creations.But I will trust you enough to help us.”he said sighing quietly. not only for the money, but he wanted to curb the instincts that were so strong he feared for everyone's safety, needing to know he was safe to be around the child he wanted to protect so badly.

Chad gave Jason a look. "Does she know?" he asked, curious if the man had come clean about his condition, "If I am going to help the both of you, I need both of your cooperation, and that means she needs to know things." He frowned at that. "Trust me, I would prefer if she didn't, but you deem her trustworthy, so shall I." He patted his coat pocket, making sure he still had some cigarettes. He might be a doctor, but the man was a ball of stress. A smoke here and there was the last thing he had to worry about killing him.

"I will write you a check tonight," he said, "But that requires further talking. If you want my help, I need you to agree to meet me tonight after the party." He handed him a card that had his name and cell phone number on it. "Give me a call."

With that, he walked away and disappeared among the party go-ers. A few moments later, Vera was back at his side. It was clear she was waiting for him to finish talking. "Jason? Is everything okay?" she asked, looking concerned. Her hand went up to touch his arm.

“No.”Jason said simply, tilting his head a little, “She knows I’m different, but not why.”He muttered before sighing softly, realizing that he was going to have no choice but to tell vera. “She is trustworthy. Do not worry about that.”he muttered because he had a feeling that the moment vera found out what her father had done, she’d protect him as fiercely as he protected her. At least she would try. Nodding as he took the card slipping it into his pocket he sighed softly.”As soon as I get home.”He muttered watching the man disappear before turning to look down at vera, looking worried as he bent to kiss her cheek.

“Its fine. He’s just a doctor who knows about my condition…he had heard that someone matching my description was living nearby, and wanted to check in on me.”he muttered not wanting her to worry until he had a chance to figure out exactly what chad would do with the knowledge that he was living here.

Vera looked up at him worriedly. "He knows?" she said, "Are you sure that we don't have anything to worry about?" She leaned into his kiss, sighing softly as his lips came in contact with her skin. There was something about his kisses that comforted her so much... She trusted him to let her know if she needed to worry.

Stepping back, she held up a present bag. "Mrs. Whittington got us this for the baby." She smirked and pulled the outfit out, arching her eyebrow as she waited for a reaction to the frilly little girl's outfit. She knew, deep in her heart, he would be great with the baby. She just wasn't so sure about his thoughts on having a baby girl in the house. Girls seemed so much more fragile, and she knew he worried about his self control and not hurting anyone.

"It's getting late," she said, putting the outfit back in the back, "My back hurts from wearing these heels too. You ready to head home?"

“I’m sure. Don’t worry about him.”he muttered looking down at him, sighing softly as he wrapped a arm around her shoulder, trying to relax before looking amused down at the present bag. Laughing quietly at the present he looked amused. “Its…adorable. Very girly.”he said wrinkling his nose a little, not because he didn’t like the outfit, but because he didn’t trust himself with the baby, and the closer she got to giving birth, the more anxious he got. Chad had really shown up at a good time. He did need the help.

“yea, lets go.”he said smiling as he led her towards the door after saying goodbye to their hosts. “I told you not to wear them.Listen to me next time would you?”he teased shivering a little in the slight cold as they walked outside.

When they got home, Vera slid her heels off and padded across the living room floor barefoot. Quickly, she put on a fire in fireplace and went to change into something a little more comfortable, then snuggled into a blanket on the couch. She just loved Christmas Eve, and she had every intention of watching Christmas movies until she fell asleep while drinking hot coacoa.

"Jason? Are you okay?" she asked, eyebrows scrunching together as she looked up at him. "I mean, I don't know who that guy is, but if he is any sort of threat..." She bit her lip. A sudden fear surged through her. What if he decides that he's in danger and leaves? Not only did she need him in more ways that she was willing to admit (she was too stubborn to say that she was far too pregnant to be doing much of anything on her own), but she was attached to him now. In fact, the more affectionate they became with eachother, the more she felt like she was falling for him... That all she wanted was for him to take her face in his hands and kiss her passionately.

She knew she would be torn apart if he had to leave town.

"I'm okay just worried about what he wants."jason said looking over at her looking worried but trying to hide it. Protective enough to leave if necessary but also to risk everything to get her what she needed. "I'll be back.go ahead and start the movie."he said smiling at her even as he picked up the phone,ialing as he headed for the bedroom for privacy. Anxiety and hope making him feel sick as he waited for a answer.

Vera nodded, but frowned a little as she watched him move into the bedroom. Sighing, she turned on the movie and curled up inside of her blanket, hoping her wouldn't be gone for too long. After all, how depressing would it be for her to spend Christmas Eve alone?

Chad answered the phone on the second ring, having just walked into his apartment. "Hello?"

After he realized it was Jason, he smiled a little. It was relieving to know that the man was willing to try and trust him. Like he said, the man only wanted to help the people that he originally hurt. Their conditions made it to where it was hard for them to blend in, let alone take on a decent job. If that meant digging into his own person bank account (which he had to admit, was quite full) and helping them out financially, then he would do it. These people deserved at least that much.

"I'm living in the Sunridge Apartments over on Crystal Road. Apartment number 3114. Go ahead and come on over. I won't keep you late, and I'll have coffee ready."

Jason nodded, even though he knew chad couldn’t see it.”I’ll be over in a little bit. Though you better not keep me late. If I have to explain why she had to spend Christmas evening all alone, I’ll be pissed.”the man hissed a little before hanging up, moving into the living room. Bending down he tucked the blanket around vera before sighing. “I have to go out…I want to make sure he’s really not going to bother us. I’ll be back soon. I promise. I wont leave you alone tonight.”he muttered gently kissing her cheek and stroking her hair before heading out the door.

When he got to chad’s the man looked around, making sure they were alone at least as alone as they could be, before knocking on the door, bracing, wondering if he was going to get attacked, and ready to fight to get away from the agents he was sure were awaiting on him. But for vera, he was willing ot risk his freedom to get her help.

Chad opened the door and nodded for Jason to come in. "I'm glad you came," he said, sounding very genuine.

The doctor moved inside and motioned for Jason to sit down while poured them both a cup of coffee. When he sat down across from the other man, he had a check in his hand. Taking out a pen, he quickly filled out and signed the check, handing it over to Jason.

"First things first," he said, nodding to the check. It was made out for $100,000, and it was a personal check. There was no denying that this man was not only rich, but he was honest. He had every intention of paying Jason back for the suffering he caused all of those years ago, just like he had with the other runaways.

"Do what you need with it," he said, "Take care of the girl and the baby, and if you need more, just let me know."

Sitting back in his chair, he sipped his coffee. The man had aged a bit since he had first been brought on to the mutation project. Instead of an eager doctor fresh out of med school, the man was wise and aware of what was going on... He wasn't sure if he'd ever get over the guilt he felt for what he helped with, but he had made it his life mission to try and help those like Jason.

"However, I do need a few things in return," he said, making eye contact with Jason. "I'm relocating the other runaways to here in Louisiana. They all stay in a house with me in California, but I like it here. I think they would do better here. Less people, more freedom. It's in the middle of no where, and that's what they need. I already have a job lined up here, so it works." He shrugged. "There's only a hand full of them, but I want you to join our little... community. You can live in your house. That's fine. I would just like to keep contact, and I'd like to do a few tests on you. Each one of you are different, and it helps me to know how you work so that I can help you control your urges and instincts." He looked at Jason, making sure to give him enough time to process what he was saying before moving on. "I need your cooperation, and in turn, I've give you the help you need."

"You may ask why I am doing this," he said after a moment, "Three quarters of it is out of guilt... I hate myself every day for what I have done." He took a cigarette out and lit it, taking a few puffs. "However, part of it is because I have a plan... A plan to get enough people out of the project so that we can fight. In short, I want the government to pay. I want a revolt to take place, and just by the look you gave me at the party, I think you want them to pay too." He smirked a little. "Which is good, because I need the help of the one man who managed to escape the program without any help."

Jason’s eyes widened a little as he looked at the check, siping his coffee to give himself time to think about what to say, tilting his head a little at the other’s words. Looking concerned about what he wanted, he looked startled slightly to realize that all chad wanted was him to stay in touch. He didn’t even have to move, all he had to do was let chad study him, which, considering the life he’d lived for years, wasn’t so bad. At least he was pretty sure the man wouldn’t be after him every day to do another medical test. And….he needed to help vera. Nodding slightly at the man’s words as he thought, he sighed softly thinking about it before staring down at the table as he thought.

Frowning a little he glanced at the other man,”…you wont get another one slipping out on their own. I did by accident. There’s no one else that will be able to do it.”he said not wanting the man to get his hopes up that there would be other’s with the talent to mislead the guards as he had. He’d mesmerized the man by accident, having run far and fast as soon as he’d realized that he’d done it. but he also knew that there were no other’s, at least none that had developed so far into a serpent, there might be some serpent, but not as much as Jason had changed.

“…I;m protective of the child. So much so I take a break from work every few hours to go make sure she’s okay.”he blurted, frowning a little. Because he wanted to know if that was normal, or if it was because he was emotionally involved with vera-no matter how much he denied it- that he was this instinctively protective.

Chad raised his eyebrows a bit, then smiled a little. He could tell the other man was tempted by his offer only because it benefited the girl and the child. That was fine. He could work with that. Only one thing concerned him, and that was if the baby was Jason's. If it was, he was not exactly sure how well the child would fair. Mutations were exactly what they were -mutations. They would carry over in breeding, and Chad was unsure of the effect it would have, considering there was no research to go by.

"Part of it is the animal within," Chad said, shrugging, "You have traits that of a serpent, correct? I can tell by the eyes. You looked ready to rip my throat out at the party." He smirked and took a puff of his cigarette. "However, that's not the only mutation that took place. Every one of you has a stronger animal instinct than that of a human as a mammal. You are protecting your mate and your young. That's all it is." He gave him an assuring nod.

"If I could advise you on anything, it would be to tell the girl what is going on," he said, "I need your full cooperation in this project, and I'd prefer we didn't have to work around her. Not to mention, she needs to know the possibility that the child could inherit certain traits... As soon as it's born, if it shows any sort of signs, I'll run some tests and try to do what I can for the child."

He nodded for the door. "You can go on home," he said gently, "I'm leaving in the morning until after the new year, so you won't hear from me for a while. Expect me around the second week of January. We will start the first round of tests, and I should be settled into a house by then. Until then, you have my cell number if you need anything."

Back
Top Bottom