Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Final Fantasy XIV A Realm Reborn

noelkriess

Super-Earth
So the release date for FFXIV is getting soooo close now! I can't wait for the 27th of august, anybody as excited as I am? Another other future FFXIV players out there?

I agree. I like final fantasy but now it's turning into something completely different. I feel like the creators should stop making them and start anew with their ideas instead slapping the title of Final Fantasy on it to get people to buy it.

I agree the main series should just stop now...XV looks terrible from the trailer that was shown at E3, and I hate XIII with a passion...it was a terrible game.
Keep in mind though that Final Fnatasy is an MMORPG same as FFXI was.
That's why I'm looking forward to it, I've already been playing the closed beta for the PS3 and I have to say I love it.

Oops I appear to have amade a mistake there in that post, ah the joy of having only woken up 5mins ago..
I meant to say Final Fantasy XIV is an MMORPG like FFXI was.

Former FFIV player and FFIV A Realm Reborn beta tester here. The reboot of FFIV turned out far better than the original. The original was rather the result of low budget and lots of haste.

I don't think FF13 was that bad, but I'm a little perplexed how you could not enjoy the XV trailer at E3, it looked wonderful. Or is this just disliking no more turned base battle systems?

FFXIII was just....well I hated everything about it, I played both japanese and english version (imported japanese version) and hated both, it just didn't feel like a final fantasy, there were no mini games, barely anything to do except the main story, the characters were terrible, I just didn't enjoy anything about it.
Final fantasy XIII-2 is an amazing game though, although not as good as the old ones that I love, FFVIII, FFIX, and I suppose FFVII too.
Final fantasy XV just is not final fantasy in my eyes....the battle system from what I saw of the E3 footage makes it look more like a rip off of DMC than an RPG, it's too realistic, nothing about it looked like final fantasy, honestly if I was shown the trailer without knowing it was XV then I wouldn't have said it was final fantasy....I really just wish SE would kill the main series because in my opinion they're just making it worse and worse....
On the other hand XIV has everything I want....the classic job system is back, it's fantasy, as I've said I'm in the PS3 closed beta and from what I've played it's just amazing, it just sucks the main series has gone so far away from what FF is.
Sure SE should try for new game ideas, but I wish they wouldn't ruin a series I've loved since I was a kid with their terrible ideas.

And yes final fantasy XIV used to be called just final fantasy XIV, but due to the horrible quality of the first release they re-made the whole game from the ground up and dubbed it "A Realm Reborn"

noelkriess said:
I agree the main series should just stop now...XV looks terrible from the trailer that was shown at E3, and I hate XIII with a passion...it was a terrible game.
Keep in mind though that Final Fnatasy is an MMORPG same as FFXI was.
That's why I'm looking forward to it, I've already been playing the closed beta for the PS3 and I have to say I love it.

I don't care about the game....

I do, however, care that they're doing this.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=iBuNCDW9bmE[/video]

They're super fucking desperate to get old school FF fans interested in this new stuff.

It kind of really super annoys me to see my childhood being whored out even worse than cellphone games and Gackt prequels. =|

Broomhandle45 said:
I don't think FF13 was that bad, but I'm a little perplexed how you could not enjoy the XV trailer at E3, it looked wonderful. Or is this just disliking no more turned base battle systems?

...it looks generic as fuuuuuuuuuck. There's no personality, nothing that screams final fantasy. It just looks like another mopey, cut and paste JRPG.

I mean honestly, at least Final Fantasy 12 had SOME sort of semblance of an FF game, now we've just got some sort of techno-grunge game with rich kids and what looks like possible quick time button mashing. It's going to probably be a less successful version of DMC.

Anyone remember Dirge of Cerberus? I feel this is going to be about as good.

Unfortunately for you, what they make Final Fantasy is what Final Fantasy is. I saw nothing in that trailer that screams anything but Final Fantasy due to the fact that the integration of modern and fantasy has been going on since what, FF7-8? Then they went more classic with 9, they kinda went in the middle with 10, and 12 was set in Ivalice so they had a whole wreath of information to base it on. I'm also HUGELY interested in seeing any other JRPG that came out in the US that is even remotely within the realm of what you said. Every flippin JRPG I've seen is cheery, brightly colored and as cut and paste as they get. Maybe you don't like the gameplay, but it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. You go turn based and everyone wonders why, you go action and everyone wonders why.

Also, if you're going to rag on that DLC, you should be reminded that FF13-2 had DLC outfits ranging everything from N7 Armor to Ezio. What they're doing is absolutely nothing that other games don't do on a near constant basis. (I also feel like you're missing the point of that DLC considering the designer for Lightning pretty much said that she was a 'female cloud') it's probably a tongue-in-cheek joke and a neat benefit for pre-ordering.

Although I am curious, what exactly is Final Fantasy to you?

Broomhandle45 said:
Unfortunately for you, what they make Final Fantasy is what Final Fantasy is. I saw nothing in that trailer that screams anything but Final Fantasy due to the fact that the integration of modern and fantasy has been going on since what, FF7-8? Then they went more classic with 9, they kinda went in the middle with 10, and 12 was set in Ivalice so they had a whole wreath of information to base it on. I'm also HUGELY interested in seeing any other JRPG that came out in the US that is even remotely within the realm of what you said. Every flippin JRPG I've seen is cheery, brightly colored and as cut and paste as they get. Maybe you don't like the gameplay, but it's a damned if you do and damned if you don't. You go turn based and everyone wonders why, you go action and everyone wonders why.

Also, if you're going to rag on that DLC, you should be reminded that FF13-2 had DLC outfits ranging everything from N7 Armor to Ezio. What they're doing is absolutely nothing that other games don't do on a near constant basis. (I also feel like you're missing the point of that DLC considering the designer for Lightning pretty much said that she was a 'female cloud') it's probably a tongue-in-cheek joke and a neat benefit for pre-ordering.

Although I am curious, what exactly is Final Fantasy to you?

That's just a shitty cop-out. 'It is what it is'. Why even bother giving a shit about the series at all then?

And the combining of technology and fantasy has been going on, but you really get a much larger portion of both that go together in what is almost a combative system. ShinRa's entire war on the earth, the crazy flying sphere schools and indoor dinosaur battle rooms of 8, and honestly even Final Fantasy 6 tried to merge them but in a very obvious way that just smashes steam punk against the world of magic.

Final Fantasy 9 had a vein similar to 6, 10 was all about ruins but if you looked at the era Tidus was from you saw another very definitive combination of magic and mystics.

Even looking at the Dirge of Cerberus combination of technology and magic, which was even more saturation of the two things, still had a very jagged line that separated even while they were together.

Ivalice (Final Fantasy Tactics, Tactics Advance, 12, etc) is an expansive universe that is even in Vagrant Story, another Square game.

Chrono Trigger (and to a lesser extent, Cross) is another game that goes from bright, to dark, to mergers of magic and fantasy.

Most of the Atlus tactical RPGs have a great sense of humor with a nice art style but have a very dark under tone (Makai Kingdom especially). I know lots of people think the Persona games are great modern setting RPGs that have adult themes (I've only ever played the third one, I think). There's the Valkyrie games, .hack (primarily GU), and a lot more I'm sure I'm missing.

So there are plenty of fun RPGs with a lot of personality that don't fall into the 'generic happy fun time' type that you're worried about.

This game wouldn't make me think of Final Fantasy if it wasn't for Lightning. I half expected it to be it's own IP. (The other half hoped it was it's own IP) Sadly they decided to try to make another Lightning game because they think they've got another franchise they can grind into the dust (despite the fact that the previous games were so linear that there was almost no reason to play it again, which I guess makes the games one trick ponies and making sequels...makes sense?)

The declining sales are apparent, since FF 13-2 sold half as much as 13, I think the lack of re-playability of old titles is taking it's tole. Or maybe they just lost a lot of fans because the first game...wasn't that good. I mean if FF 13 was a great game, and 6 million people bought it, wouldn't those 6 million people want to play the sequel?

Evidently not.

So pardon me if I find this new, generic looking game a huge let down when it's biggest selling point is Square-Enix's fastest falling star.

It's not a shitty cop out because it's the truth, the only way games change (or simply cease to be) is if people stop buying them, or sales start to shrink. Entire franchies are formed on supply and demand, and whatever backroom demons they consort with to get it going. "It is what it is" is because people who buy enough to fund these games, who buy them when they might be worse or better than their others is pretty much how stuff gets made, how sequels happen. It's not me not caring about FInal Fantasy, it's just knowing that regardless of what I think or what a group of random dudes on the internet think...if it sells well, they're going to keep it going like that.

I wasn't aware you were clarifying graphical style or story, I don't know any recent RPGs that look like FF games in terms of photo-realism (I suppose that's the best way to word it.) Which was why I didn't clarify, apologies for that. But you also mention something that's probably why they're trying something new with Lightning Returns and XV: Sales aren't as big as they used to be. And quite frankly I have no idea how FF13 sold on anything more than name alone, it's not a bad game but nearly all of the issues minus a likable cast (in my opinion) and a vastly improved battle system were implemented in FF13-2. So it was a strange thing indeed.

Which is where the 'damned if you do, damned if you don't' thing creeps up again. This is a brand new console, brand new hardware and the game looks like ADvent Children: The game. If you think it's generic, that's more than fine. But FF has to do something new to keep interest, to draw consumers and to draw money in. The game looks different, it looks new and bold...and just like FF-13 it will probably sell incredibly well because just like FF13, name sold it first. If it's a good game? I certainly hope so, simply because they're willing to take a chance and do something new again with the series that's been kinda rocky with the whole FF13 thing.

In my opinion, and the opinion of all the people I know who love the FF series, I think SE would make alot more money, and bring back alot more fans to the series if they stopped trying to force these terrible soft versions of FF on us.
I found myself time and time again just growing bored of playing FFXIII, turning it off, and going back to play FFIX or FFVIII, and why? Because they were good, the story, the characters, sure they didn't have brilliant graphics but if you care more about graphics than gameplay then you shouldn't be able to have any say in the matter....I think that's another reason why the series for me atleast is just growing worse, much like gaming in general, people are so caught up about the damn graphics and few people care about gameplay anymore.

Yes it's true every FF game I've played has had some kind of machines or flying ships or something, but the difference is the whole setting of the games, I mean the tag line for the E3 trailer for XV was "Fantasy based on reality" to me that is a terrible idea, and from what I saw of the characters, the setting, and the battle system...sure it looks pretty, but as I said before to me it just looked like a cheap knock off of DMC, not a FF game.

Anyway how did this even start? I open a thread to find out if anyone is going to be playing FFXIV and somehow it turns into this? strange...

Oh gawsh if they start bringing back the classics....man oh man.

But this new generation doesn't know anything about the classics....

SE is just tryna appeal to the newer gamers. Which I appreciate.... They can't please everyone. lol.

On another tip, FF13 is ass in my opinion. The characters were terrible... There was literally not a character on that game that I like fully. There were parts that were appealing to me of each character: like how cute hope is, and how I kinda like lightning's design... FF13 had nice scenery like the other games n whatnot but I felt like I was watching some kind of cheesy soap opera. I remember when I saw the trailer for it in gamestop I was completely turned off by all the meaningless cut scenes and dialogue.... I just feel the game wasn't thought out like the others and was just slapped together to please my eyeballs.

And I believe it was me who pushed the topic to go into this direction. XD Perhaps.

In any case FFXIV--looks badass. I'll think about playing it once someone I know has played it. I'm a skeptic gamer...

Dirge of Cerberus btw, was awesome... Vincent made that game worth playing. XD

Yeah SE are trying to make FF more casual if anything to suit the increase of casual gamers...they're also trying to please the people who hate RPGs (most xbox fans...let's face it most xbox fans are just simple people who want a mindless shooter >.>)

What I want to see is flying around the world map in some awesome looking airship! I want awesome and weird weapons used by interesting characters! I want Final Fantasy, not this new breed of just trash they're making....

FFXIII also was an insult to me, I LOVE Squall's gunblade..really...it's my favourite weapon of all time, seeing that terrible gun that transforms into a sword of FFXIII was just awful.

But I still say that SE would make more money trying to please the true hardcore FF fans rather than trying to bring in casual gaming noobs into FF...FF is not a casual game, well it never used to be, but as I said a few posts ago, if FF keeps going the way it is...then I hope the main series does die....because right now I don't think I'll even bother playing XV.

I understand that, after the fail of the first version release of FFXIV alot of people are having trouble trying to play it again, but I've played it on the PS3, and I just love it, as a former FFXI player it's so nice to see how much better than XI this one is, it's just amazing!

Even though FFVII is not my favourite Final Fantasy.......Vincent would make any game worth playing :p

Lol I'm a huge XBOX fan... But, I don't feel proper playing RPGs on Xbox it just ain't normal to me. To me PS is for RPGs, DDR, and arcade games. XBOX is for the shooters, action adventure hack and slash like DMC or Dynasty warrios, and racing games. Solely my opinion. XD

Yes, YES! I miss flying around in a kewl ship too. And the weapons of the characters made the game more enjoyable as well, especially when the characters and the weapons are well thought out and fit each other.

I wish they'd take RPGs back old school to like Chrono Cross... I loved the vast amounts of characters, attacks, weapons....and awesome land to travel upon. The story was badass too. It had variety something SE is seeming to forget about. I can get used to this new battle system they're trying out... I just wish they'd put more effort into future characters and settings from now on.

I'm not going to rag on SE too much because I know a lot of classic games that keep being made over that should just die because it's simply trash. Mario and Sonic are the main games I can think of right now that to me, are failing hard because they are trying to appeal to this new gaming age. I know everything has to move with the times and everything but, seriously gaming companies really need to stop messing up classics and simply create something new. As consumers we're going to buy new games from our favorite companies...I just wish they'd understand that and stop being so cowardice when it comes to creating new products.

Honestly my fav FF games are 7,8, crisis core, 10, and 10-2. My top being 10-2 because, 10 and crisis core make me sad. XD I also really like 10-2 because it was just a fun a lovable game for me. It was less serious than many of the others I think. I just loved the game for some reason... I always had something to do, even if I beat the game a bagillion times. And the romance...I'm such a sap for it...

I tried 10-2, I couldn't bother caring. It was the biggest, laziest re-use of assets that should have been an expansion rather than an actual game. Ticked me off as someone in animation and game design.

• I'm one of those few people who thoroughly enjoyed FF12
        and FF13. Especially enjoyed 13.

I beta tested for FFXIV and loved it though I cannot compare it to other FF - MMO's as I never tried them. It has definitely taken the top spot as my favourite MMO and I am excited for it to be released. We already have a group together that are getting it on launch and have our classes picked out :D

My only complaint (and it probably stems from having played WoW) is that there didn't seem like there were many quests. The levequests and Fate system are neat but when you are trying to level a second job class I found it pretty tedious.

Well trust me as someone who has played both XIV and XI, XIV is just amazing :D
XI was boring, annoying, and you had to have a party for pretty much every single thing, even quests....Although I did play it for 5 years.
XIV was alot of fun from the beta test I played, and I know they didn't have everything unlocked in the beta phase I played like they will in launch, I do agree there doesn't seem to be many NPC quests, but the levequests are fun, and so are the FATEs.
There isn't a single thing I'd change about XIV.

I tried to do the beta test for FFXIV for the Playstation. Unfortunately it was a 12 gb download and I've got extremely crappy service through Time Warner cable. took me six hours to get 1.5 gb. Not about to let my playstation stay on for two days just to download a beta test only to be able to play it for a couple of weeks before the game actually releases.

@noelkriess what race and job did you try in the beta?

@jonathan my friend did the PS3 beta test, he played it at my house and he hated it, he found it to difficult in busier fights to target enemies and use the skills, he said he will be getting it for the PC when it comes out. Watching him play I would have to agree, mmo's just don't seem to suit consoles very much. It looked damn nice though.

I went for a male Mi'qote lancer on the beta, but I tried out archer and thaumaterge too, I loved it, I pre-ordered my collector's edition a while back :D

I do agree that the targeting is a little tricky at first but you get used to it, plus if you have a USB keyboard with PS3 you can just hit tab to make the targeting easier, but the skills? they're easy as pie to use on PS3 even in large fights...I never had a problem with the skills, I'm happy to see more MMOs coming to consoles, I hate playing on PC, the fact I don't have a very good PC and the fact that you have to have certain upgrades to play games...I prefer buying a game for my PS3 and knowing it'll work because I have a PS3 lol, I hope to see many more MMOs on consoles, but for the next few years I'll be more than happy with FFXIV

Oh believe me I understand, I started as a console player and was adamant I would never go to PC and while I still enjoy certain games on the PS3 there are many I prefer on the computer. I will never ever give up my console though in fact my last PS3 broke last fall and I went without a new until April of this year. I missed it so much!

Haha I also played a Mi'qote (female) I have tried the archer, conjurer, gladiator and a few of the trade and gather jobs. I think though in the release I will try the arcanist I love the idea of being able to summon a carbuncle :D

well I've always been a console gamer, I've owned every playstation on release day, even skipped school to go and pick them up, owned every FF from 7 onwards on release day and skipped school to get them lol although thanks to 13, and 15 that won't be happening anymore.

Yeah arcanist looks awesome, and it branches into scholar and summoner too, from what I've read around the net SE are also thinking of releasing ninja, samurai, dark knight, and red mage as starting classes when ARR releases.

the only reason I'd ever even think of playing on PC would be MMOs but like I said, with the problems of having to upgrade and spend money on the PC just to be able to keep playing certain games it just isn't worth it.
I just can't wait for FFXIV ARR, ever since the first day I played the beta I try to make the days go as fast as possible untill the open beta hits, and I read on the net that the open beta starts of the 8th of august.

Back
Top Bottom