Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Prince's Plight

As Lox moved across the room her eyes never left him. She made a move to go and stop him as soon as the child came into play but the hand on her shoulder stopped her from moving. Turning her head to the side she could see Lord Darron watching the scene with a small smile on his face as if he was observing something completely different from the rest of them. While everyone else seemed to be in a state of shock or anxiety he seemed completely relaxed with everything that was happening. Reina had learned a long time ago that the man had a different perspective on the world then the rest of them and sometimes it was better not to question him. Begrudgingly she stood aside and let Lox carry on his little game with the child without stepping in. Still, she did breath a sigh of relief when the girl took her portrait and scampered off to the safety of her parents. Apparently the beast was well versed in all sorts of art forms not limited only to music. It didn't matter how well he could play or what he could draw, he was still a dangerous enemy and the second they turned their back on him he would strike and kill them. Dammit, why the king had invited him here was still beyond her. He had no place amongst these people and would revel in their death if given half the chance. People like him didn't belong with decent society like this and the sooner he was back in his room the easier she could rest.

"My, he really is quite terrifying huh?" The older man gave a small chuckle as he looked around the room. Obvious the lord thought that all the rumors were completely ridiculous and nothing more then exaggerated gossip from bored nobles and servants. "You haven't seen him in battle. I've seen that man covered in the blood of my own soldiers and she tore them apart." Her tone was harsh as her arms crossed over her chest in a defensive position. They could think all they wanted about him from what little they saw but nothing would erase the sight of him in war with her men littered around his body as he brought his weapon down on them. That bastard had cost her many good men and nothing would make up for that.

"Why don't we go and say hello." The man was grinning from ear to ear now as he grabbed onto Reina's arm and started dragging her towards where Lox was sitting. The woman tried to voice her protests but they seemed to fall on deaf ears as people parted their way to let them through. A chance to see Lord Darron interact with the beastly prince was something that most wouldn't miss. The man was known throughout the kingdom for his sharp wit and even sharper tongue. As much as Reina wouldn't like to admit it she was actually curious to see how the two would react together though she really would wish to observe from a corner somewhere instead of being dragged into center stage.

Finally coming to a stop in front of Lox the man let out a chuckle before introducing himself. "Prince Lox I presume? It is a pleasure to meet you, I've heard quite a few stories about you. I am Lord Darron." Reaching his hand out to the other man he had a relaxed grin on his face and his eyes viewed Lox as more of an equal instead of a wild animal to be kept behind bars. Reina herself was scowling as she tried to walk away but was kept in place with the hand still firmly on her sleeve. The two exchanged knowing gazes as if a small conversation was taking place between them with no actual words being spoken. "I heard you've already met my daughter, Reina." The woman in question muttered a quick curse under her breath but made no move to actually greet Lox. She'd like to get out of here as soon as possible and the eyes she could feel on her back were really starting to annoy her.

Lox looked at the man evenly, his eyes turning hard and even vicious at the mention of Reina being his daughter but he stood and took the man's hand and shook it firmly and respectfully as he gestured for them to follow. "It is a pleasure to meet you Lord Darron. Your prowess in combat and tactical application is extremely enlightening and practical, and if time permits I'd like to talk to you about how exactly you manage to apply all logical considerations to your attacks or defenses while maintaining your loyalties even when you've needed to use certain units in less than desirable ways. I find it easier to work with the more humble infantry than dealing with noble horseman but both are indispensable in combat, and I understand that experience gives you leeway with the nobles but I can't seem to shake the feeling that you've applied a different method of persuasion." He had led them easily through the ball room given that many gave him a good ten feet of open room, this aided by the guards still stumping along behind their little group made the trip over to the piano and the player quick and easy. While the rest of the musicians played the quite lively tune the pianist looked up at Lox nervously as the prince leaned down to whisper into his ear, and after paling and nodding the man scurried away as Lox moved to look into the delicate workings of the instrument.

"I apologize in advance if I may seem rude or distant Lord Darron. I've never judged a soul by either their families, race, birth, or gender in regards to that specific persons honor or merit. In all honesty I feel no small bit of animosity towards your daughter for the questionable methods I came to be here, and I'm sorry if even for an instant I show you the slightest disrespect because of that. You have a right to be judged fairly without the bigotry of blaming you for anything other than your own actions." The pianist had returned with a small leather satchel that Lox took and opened to reveal a number of delicate tools that he applied to the instrument here and there. "There's nothing worst than listening to a good pianist playing an out of tune instrument. I can't for the life of me understand why a noble who wants to listen to a piano wouldn't wait a few minuets for the artist to properly tune the thing, but maybe I'm just too damn eccentric to let the problem go..." It took a few minuets for Lox to adjust the grand piano and with an order the pianist who looked awestruck touched the keys that had been out of tune and smiled gratefully. When Lox finished he returned the tools and told him to talk to one of his guards to have it kept up there with them so he could tune the piano in his room, this way they wouldn't think him attempting to use some of the pointer tools as weapons against them and they could guard him carefully when he tuned it.

Lord Darron was still smiling as he shook Lox's hand and followed behind him while dragging Reina along. "Actually, I'd like to have some conversations with you as well. Obviously you choose to fight on a more equal level with your men instead of leading them as most nobles would. While I do see the advantages of the comradery it builds I was wondering just how you still managed to have them see you as not only an equal but also their superior. You tread on very dangerous territory if your men don't know that your word is law and they start to question it. Actually, I find that same line having to be toed as a parent as well; how can you be a friend to your child while still having them see you as a parent." The man gave a chuckle as he followed behind Lox while making small conversation like he had known this man for years instead of having just met him moments before. Lord Darron was known throughout the kingdom for his charm and seemed to have no trouble making friends wherever he went. "As far as I'm concerned, noble or not, all men are equal on the battlefield and all bleed the same red blood. I couldn't really care for their lineage as long as they can work a sword."

Lord Darron shook his head to show that he held no animosity towards Lox over his treatment or general hesitance towards the man. Obviously the two had their own history and the man had no intention of getting involved in it. "Oh please," Reina snorted as she looked over at Lox "You keep acting like a child who lost his toy and keeps throwing a tantrum until he gets it back. There were no questionable methods for how you came to be here. You lost, I won, act like a grown man and get over it." Her replies were short and flippant as she glared over at him. He had lost in the battlefield and had been captured fairly by the enemy forces so she couldn't understand why he kept debating it when the evidence was right in front of him. The better side had won out that day no matter how much he would have liked for it to be different.

Lord Darron seemed generally amused by what Lox had done while Reina merely rolled her eyes. Apparently he wanted to put on a show over how civilized he could really be, as if that would make them forget the little show he had put on yesterday. She really couldn't give a damn over how well he played or how quickly he could tune a piano to perfect pitch. All she cared about was that he got out of here as soon as possible before she had to be restrained from cutting his head off his neck.

Lox looked at the generally enraging woman who seemed incapable of putting her own anger to the side for a single instant. Unfortunately for her though, he was beginning to stumble upon an entire arsenal of verbal weapons to use that didn't even stoke his rage but instead made her entire tough show all the more amusing. "You would be far more beautiful this evening Reina if you stopped being such a bad puppy." Somehow Reina was immune to even the most creative, vicious, and hateful insults he could throw at her but what truly amused him was it really rubbed her the wrong way when he didn't take her seriously. Turning around to look at her he actually smiled without any hint of hatred or loathing in his eyes or face, instead there was nothing but amusement at the promise of utter death in her eyes and for a moment he wondered how painfully he would have died if looks could kill. The guards standing close by the piano adjusted their armor and swords even though they were perfectly fitted and ready for combat, hoping beyond hope that the noise would distract the captain and keep give her a few precious moments to reconsider her actions before pouncing the prince once more and trying to kill him.

Truth be told Lox couldn't have been more amused, knowing he was literally grinding salt into a very fresh wound when the woman had gone momentarily insane the last time he made a dog joke, the hate that seemed to radiate from her was enough guess at how she felt now. But worse than threats, ugly insults, and physically harming her, Lox turned his back and started softly playing a melody that drifted throughout the ball room and turning everyone's attention towards them. Most had been gaggling on and sneaking peaks towards the strange trio, and now were openly watching them as Lox proved some crazed rumors about him true and others false. When he was playing a particularly difficult and fast paced portion of the song he glanced up to see the Lord regarding him carefully, as if he were gauging an enemy with a different set of weapons and cunning. But Lox smiled when the same little girl who he had drawn earlier came trotting up relieved of her burden. It seemed that the parents of the child were either very curious or very brave but regardless Lox smiled affectionately as he finished the song and patted the spot next to him on the bench.

Looking over at the band who were watching him just as intently Lox smiled and played the opening portion of a symphony, nodding towards the violist who took up the next part as the conductor began moving the band through the familiar song. As far as he was concerned the evening was quite nice indeed, even if his keeper was more or less insane with rage and there wasn't a damn thing she could do about it without dragging her own name through the dirt if she attacked. With everyone watching Lox proved that not only could he be brutally potent on the battle field but he could be evilly vindictive and insulting without his rage. When the song ended on a playful note Lox rose from his bench and with a smile leaned down to pick up the little girl who had been watching him as he bowed his head to Lord Darron. "If you'll excuse me Lord, I think I'll sample the food that's been provided and take my little friend along with me." With that he departed in the company of his guards and the smiling child in his arms who questioned him about everything at once as he smiled down at her and murmured his replies as they made their way to the tables. One thing that Lox wasn't ashamed of showing was he had an extremely soft spot for children, and often dreamed of the day when he could sire his own little ones.

For a moment Reina saw only red as her hands balled up into fists and she took a step towards him. If she had her sword on her right now she would have happily plunged it into his chest and given it a little twist just for good measures. All the woman wanted at this moment was to pummel him into a bleeding pulp before sticking his head on a pike for everything that he had put her through. Once again he called her a puppy and treated her like she was unimportant, something he could easily ignore once he got bored of. Around her she could see the guards shifting uneasily as they prepared to pull her off of him if she did follow through on her intentions. Yet a sturdy hand on her shoulder pulled her back to reality and allowed her to calm herself down before she did something she was going to regret. Obviously Lox was trying to get a rise out of her and losing her cool in such a public place in front of all these people wouldn't reflect well on her. Reina closed her eyes for a moment and took a deep breath as she felt the rage leave her and the calm once again return. Lox would pay dearly for what he had put her through but this was neither the time nor the place. Right now they were here to celebrate Lord Darron's return and she wasn't going to let the likes of him stop her from enjoying the banquet. He might be playing around with the little girl right now but she had seen him in battle and she didn't trust him for even the slightest moment. Taking her own leave she walked over to one of the balconies and decided to get some fresh air before things got completely out of hand.

"Absolutely. I do hope you have an enjoyable evening." Lord Darron said as he returned the bow before watching Lox make his way to the tables with the little girl in arm. There was an amused smile on the man's face as if he had just seen a very interesting chess battle take place. Turning away from the crowd himself he walked over to where Reina was before leaning on the balcony and gazing at her. "Well that was interesting. You're letting your anger get the best of you again." The man let out a chuckle as Reina merely pursed her lips and threw a glare at him. Her own temper was very well known in the kingdom and Lox wasn't helping it one bit. Reina was letting him get under her skin which was allowing her to make all sorts of mistakes that she usually wouldn't if she kept a calm head. "I can't help it. He just rubs me the wrong way and every time I see him I get the urge to tear him limb from limb." The woman let out a sigh as she leaned down on her crossed arms and looked out at the land beneath them. She always managed to keep her cool even in the heat of battle and yet that mongrel had managed to annoy her at every turn.

"You're fighting the wrong battle, you know that?" Reina looked over at the man with a scowl as she tried to figure out just what he was talking about. Lord Darron wasn't one to just out and tell her the answer when he could make her jump through hoops to figure it out. "A man's weakness is his honor and that man's has been bruised beyond repair. There's only one way for him to restore it..." After a moment those blue eyes that had been clouded with rage were now bright with excitement. Time and time again Lox had said that his honor had been bruised and if he wanted to regain it to what it was the only way for him to do that would be to face her once more in battle. He wanted that battle between the two of them to prove that he was the true victor. Yet if she refused to ever give him that battle then there would be nothing he could do to restore his honor and she would still come out on top. Reina was now grinning from ear to ear as her once sour mood had turned to an elated state. He could call her as many names as he wanted and could even outright ignore her but that wouldn't change how things stood. "You know what, I think I'm in more of a party mood right now." Reina let out a laugh as she moved away from the balcony and once again mingled with her friends. Let Lox have his fun for now, he'd pay for everything a hundred fold later.

The night waxed late, and the tiny girl who had been following him and chattering happily yawned sleepily as Lox gently picked her up and returned the girl to her parents who took the dozing child and smiled their thanks. There were a lot of different rumors floating around about him, but the one that touched a nerve and disturbed him the most was the insinuation that he was utterly insane. There were different variations of this same comment, but mostly these people seemed to be under the belief that he could have made a decent up standing noble if it weren't for the "fact" that he suffered some kind of madness that took him now and then. Another theory that disturbed him was some pegged him for being a berserker, and that without the influence of violence and war he was no more harmless than a lamb amongst it's flock. As he left the ball room to move stand alone on a balcony with his guards flanking the entrance way his face darkened with anger as he clutched at the banister and bowed his head. He was being written off as an invalid, a person to be pitied, and one not capable of handling stressful situations that should have never been a warrior to begin with... But these were his enemies after all, he wouldn't have spared any of these nobles on the battle field and humiliate them as they did him, and it was an advantage to be thought as mad. One couldn't calculate a mad man's intentions, they could only hope his eccentricities didn't lead him to evil ends.

Lox had enjoyed conversing with Lord Darron, the only adult that actually treated him with any sort of dignity and respect but considering the only other adult being Reina his evening's company had been the little girls and no one else. His melancholies were forgotten though as he heard the soft tapping of heels against the marble floor and the straightening of the guards at the balcony entrance. While it might have been Reina the sound of her shoes seemed sharper than what that woman could produce with her small build, and as he glanced to the side he found a very attractive woman smiling gently at him. She was a middle aged noble curly blond hair that fell to her shoulders, and the smile she gave him along with the glitter of dark forest green eyes mad her that much more appealing but he turned back to the view of the country side so as not to stare. It wasn't easy not to glance over and further examine her, she was beautiful but it was extremely difficult for him to gauge her age as he murmured softly but clearly so as to not include the guards in on their conversation. "I do appreciate the company fair lady, but to be seen here with me would not do your self or your family good unless you count it as an act of bravery." He hadn't meant to sound cold, the truth though had a tendency to be harsh even if it was a fact.

He noticed her smile out the corner of his eye and turned to look at her again, regarding her attractiveness and ruby red lips. "Seen with who? The mad prince? The wild prince? The berserker? Who might you really be prince Lox... I was present when you were brought to the castle for the first time, and I was there in the garden when I heard you playing the piano, and here too when you played with my cousins little daughter as if she were your own child. Who are you?" The coy smile tugging at her lips was excessively difficult to ignore, and while Lox was used to bloodshed, insults, and now humiliation he had never been dotted on by such a lovely woman. Even in his own court few asked him to dance out of a dare or some such nonsense but none had ever been quite so personal. "And who might such a lovely lady be that has the courage to ask me that directly?" This wasn't the type of battle he was accustomed to, and he was direly short of witty remarks or proper things to talk to such a woman about without sounding like a brute. Why would he care if he sounded as such? And why was this woman making him so damn uneasy when Reina who wanted him dead thrice over couldn't slip so easily under his guard. "My name dear Prince is Alice D. Martonis, and it is a pleasure to meet an interesting man." Lox knew that name... The Martonis family were a merchant family that were neigh untouchable because they had routes that served both kingdoms in such an invaluable way that both nations had decreed they were not to be bothered. While they didn't supply the armies, they were part of the very life blood that the waring countries shared, and this was the eldest daughter to her families name.

This wasn't the first time he had seen her. She had been in his own court a very long time ago but had never directly talked to him before, but why the sudden interest now... dammit all to hell he was no good at dealing with woman who weren't currently trying to slit his throat.

The woman spent the rest of the night in a state of freedom as she mingled with the other guests and traded stories with friends she had not seen in a long time. All thoughts of Lox were pushed from her mind as she sat down with one of the lieutenants in Lord Darron's brigade as he began telling her tales of what they had gone through in the past month. "And so it took James the entire day to chase down the hog only to have it turn around and go after him." A loud booming roar of laughter sounded from their small group as the man in question blushed deeply and kept saying how the hog was much fiercer up close. Reina always felt more comfortable in the company of soldiers then she ever did with the noble ladies who hid behind their fans and whispered quietly to one another. With these men there were no secrets and no lies. They told things as they were and didn't keep grudges or make a big deal out of something small. They knew that their lives depended on each other and all disputes were quickly settled after a little shoving match and a whole lot of wine. Yet the ladies were absolute poison in comparison and took great delight in tearing down anyone they possibly saw as a threat. In her current position as the king's champion she was untouchable to them but there had been a time, years ago, when she had seen just how evil they could be.

When she had first been brought to court by Lord Darron there had been gossip that spread like wildfire over who the young girl was. As much as she loved the man they had no relation by blood so when the Lord arrived with a small child in tow the rumors started spreading. His own wife had died a mere year ago and people were saying that Reina must have been a bastard child of his by some village girl or barmaid. The looks and whispers had hurt her deeply as had the names she was called back then. The true story of how the two met was never actually brought up no matter how many times people tried to pry into it. Eventually, over time, people merely accepted the fact that Reina was his adopted daughter and as her own position in the kingdom grew the gossip died down to mere whispers here and there. Now that she was older she didn't let it bother her as much but there were still times that she'd catch their glances and knew just what they were thinking.

The rest of the night passed like a blur as the musicians played and people feasted on the succulent food presented to them. Reina had traded her own war stories with some of the other men but near midnight she was beginning to feel tired herself and resigned herself off to bed. No doubt people would keep partying until the wee hours of the morning but she had a lot of work to do later on and she'd need to be as attentive as possible to get it done right. Saying her goodbyes to those around her she got up from her seat and started heading towards her room. As she passed by the balcony she caught sight of Lox and someone who looked to be Alice Martonis. For a split second a small smile curved on her lips and for the tiniest of moments she actually pitted the man. "Poor bastard." Reina muttered on her breath before exiting the main ballroom. Hey, he was a big boy, whatever trouble he got himself into was his own damn fault.

After finally making it to her own room she got changed out of the ridiculous dress and into her normal night clothes. This day had been hectic and a wave of relief flowed through her as soon as her head hit the soft pillow. The morning wold come soon as would a whole host of new problems to deal with. Yet that was the future and for the present she would simply enjoy her warm bed and the soft sounds of music filtering in through her door.

Lox chatted with the fair woman for quite some time on little things, the trade currently occurring in his nation and the well being of a few acquaintances that he knew as well but it seemed that the woman had other interests in mind. They had abandoned the balcony chose instead to walk about the ball room chatting quietly, and more than a few times did he find himself with another glass of wine that he hadn't meant to drink but this lady seemed to be drinking just as much which gave him some measure of comfort. He had a tolerance to wine on his own, and his size added to that ability and while he thought it might be enough to keep himself sober and sharp Alice seemed to have an indomitable immunity to the stuff. It made him nervous when he started feeling his face warm significantly and very noticeably even on his tan skin, the stark white of his hair belaying the truth for those who looked his way and soon they were outside in the gardens with the guards still following silently and patiently behind them. What made him uneasy was the closeness the woman had chosen to keep, and soon he found his left arm entwined by her smaller right one as he escorted her about and admired the flowers and growing beauty around them. Something was bothering him though... and while this Alice's company was very comforting and happy there was a nagging doubt pulling at his mind that he couldn't place until a certain attractive cretin's face entered his thoughts.

He had seen her some time ago right when the deceiving bitch had left to go to bed, but why think of her now... it was her face... and that look she had given him right before she vanished that suddenly made him very suspicious... She didn't give pity easily that vindictive whore, but why had she looked at him with such pity before leaving to retire if it weren't for the smiling, beautiful, and very persuasive woman on his arm? The evening was waxing long, and he partook of quite a lot of wine while conversing with the very lovely company but when he felt a sort of hug around his arm he was suddenly very aware of her firm warm bust. Looking back to her she had finally shown sighs of the wine taking affect, and there was an adorable blush coloring her cheeks but that suggestive smile is what really turned him about. It suddenly felt like this woman was trying to seduce him, and now that his senses were back in order there were only the two guards for quite a ways around while people still partied within the great ball room. Blinking down at her he felt himself flush when she leaned up and kissed his cheek softly, and damn if he didn't want to return that affection with much more of his own but he couldn't shake that there was something wrong. Leaning down himself he returned her soft kiss to her cheek and breathed in a heavenly scent of her perfume and the hint of wine from her breath before he leaned back and held her hands gently. "I didn't think I'd enjoy myself so well this evening dear Alice, but I must retire for the morn. If your still about you can visit me at my cell overlooking the gardens where you heard me playing from before."

The wine was boggling his mind and bolstering his instincts, he wanted to take this woman back up stairs with him but his stubborn mind refused flatly and though it saddened him to see her frown, she smiled once more and stood on her toes to kiss his cheek again. With a murmured farewell, and an extremely unorthodox nip to his lower ear lobe the woman left him with his guards where he proceeded to his cell without incident. Though he was tired, his night was once more restless as he was plagued with dreams of a green eyed vixen tempting and tormenting him in ways that were both pleasurable and unbearable. And the most frightening part deep down his soul agreed with his mind that taking Renia as a lover would have been less dangerous than the unknowable pleasures Alice promised. He might very well have to question the bitch about her tomorrow but he doubted she would answer him directly.

Reina actually awoke the next morning feeling happier then she had in a very long time. It seemed like everyone was still sleeping off the remnants of last nights banquet leaving the castle to be eerily quiet this time of day. It was still fairly early in the morning and no doubt most in the castle would be asleep until noon at the earliest. This suited her just fine however, now she had time to get her work done without having to deal with any of the distractions that people presented. Pushing the covers off she quickly washed up before getting dressed in her normal tunic and trousers. The woman said a quick prayer to the gods that she could once again return to her normal attire instead of having to parade around in that confining dress once more. Sure the clothes were simple but they allowed the freedom and movement and it was easier to conceal weaponry in something that wasn't as confining as a corset. As fun as last night had been she was happy that things were finally returning back to normal after all. Leaving her room she made her way down to the kitchen where it didn't even seem as if the staff was awake yet. Oh well, she much rather preferred to eat her meals in peace and quiet since it gave her some time to reflect on just what would be going on for the rest of the day. Grabbing some fruit and a few pastries she made herself a makeshift plate before sitting down to go over the day's schedule in her head. No doubt she'd have to talk with the weapons master once more and then meet up with some of the senior advisers to go over the rest of the battle plans for the eastern front. Then she'd probably have to take a look at some of the check posts just to make sure they were guarded and functioning as they should be. Last and most certainly least she'd have to pay a visit to Lox even if it was something she'd rather put off until the last possible moment.

After finishing her food the woman put her plate away and stared on her day. A quick run through of the armory they'd finally been able to complete the inventory they'd been working on earlier. It seems like they'd have to contact some blacksmiths in the surrounding villages to keep up with their demands for chain mail as the battles progressed. They would also have to see about procuring a better quality steel since some of the new swords were terribly flimsy. After that was done she went on to talk with one of the more experienced advisers about how they would deal with the problems they were having on the eastern front. They needed to take one of the bordering cities but unfortunately the enemy had the advantage of being up on the mountains while they had to make their way through the plains. It would be annoying but if they could cut through the forest then they might be able to sandwich the enemy and force them off their ground. The rest of the day was a relative blur as she hurried from one task to the next trying to get everything done without her head spinning. Eventually, by mid afternoon, she had finished with everything else that needed to be done and once again found herself outside of Lox's room.

Taking a deep breath the woman entered with a smile on her face instead of the glares she usually had whenever in contact with the man. "Good day." Her tone was actually cheerful as if she hadn't been plotting his ultimate demise just days before. There was nothing about her body language that would suggest any underlying rage and instead she actually looked fairly calm and happy to be there. For Lox this would be more dangerous then having her attack him once more. After the discussion she had last night and with what she had seen on the balcony the woman no longer seemed to harbor the intense desire to skewer him anymore. No, now she was at ease as if greeting a friend instead of a mortal enemy. "I trust you had fun last night. It was quite an interesting banquet." Her tone was still cheery as she walked over to the window and took a look at the view before turning back to him. Lox was treading very dangerous territory if he was hanging around Alice and Reina was more then happy to see him take that path. He'd get exactly what he deserved and she wouldn't even have to lift a finger to make sure his attitude was punished. He might have gotten under her skin earlier but that ability had all but disappeared as she looked at him while grinning like a child who had just found out their sibling had done something wrong and was threatening to tell mom.

Lox arched an eyebrow at the woman's cheerfulness and seemingly carefree manner, wondering what exactly she was plotting when last night's entertainment popped into his head. It was to suspicious for her to suddenly turn about so quickly, even if it might be to her advantage she was holding something over him and mockingly trying to lead him to ruin with a smile. Unfortunately for her there was no trace of wine clouding his mind as it had last night, and the events were clear and easy to read as he rose from his bench in front of the piano where he had been practicing some more mellow and soothing songs than what he played originally. With measured steps he walked up to her and again after so many times before he found himself thinking she really would be an attractive woman if she wasn't trying to be so very vindictive and spiteful. Last night she slipped up with that look she gave him, and he was planning on proving it in a very intimate fashion as he closed the distance and leaned down so that he was face to face with her. There was a playful smile on his face as his eyes glittered with a devious light as he leaned closer until they were little more than a few inches away from each other before murmuring softly to her.

"Your a bad little puppy, and when you try being spiteful and false you never do a very good job but when your guard is down I might be willing to forgive what happened on the field for the kindness you show me here." With his head to the side and very aware of Reina's breathing he actually kissed her cheek before whispering again to her. "Thank you for warning me last night." With that he left her there and gave neither worry or care as to if she decided to jump him from behind. While he hadn't heard much about Alice, he was already wary of her seeking his company for the night, and what yanked him back from making a disastrous mistake had been remembering Reina's look of pity. She wouldn't spare an enemy pity unless they faced something terrible indeed, and Lox was the last person on earth who she'd spare even an iota of pity on. Returning to his piano Lox played a very slow affectionate love song he remembered from his youth, and kept his ears sharp to the sound of foot steps approaching him because Reina might very well be attacking him any minuet now when that kiss registered with her mind and her rage had a moment to build up to the proper boiling point.

When he had first arrived it had been nothing but hatred and daggers, insult traded for insult and physically attacking one another but then Lox began to slip under his opponent's skin and caused her to switch tactic's. Even as she tried to catch up she was still making mistakes like giving him that warning but to him it wasn't so much fighting an enemy anymore but baiting an over zealous and frisky puppy, which he decided for the rest of his time here that would be her nickname weather she liked it or not.

Reina's eyes shifted nervously as she watched him walk closer to her and bend down until they were mere inches away from each other. This definitely hadn't been the reaction she had been expecting and having him this close to her did not bode well for the woman. With her hands crossed over her chest she tried to lean away but was met with a solid stone wall behind her meaning she wouldn't be going anywhere soon. Her eyes narrowed into a glare and the cheery disposition slipped as he called her a puppy once more. That nickname was really beginning to get on her nerves and he was obviously getting great enjoyment out of how much of a rise it got out of her. As for being spiteful and false, well she couldn't really protest on those points now could she? "What? What are you talking ab..." Yet the question died in her throat as he moved in and she felt his lips on her cheek. Out of absolutely everything that she was thinking was going to occur, that was something that had never even crossed her mind. For a moment she stood completely still and wide eyed as her mind tried to process exactly what had happened. Lox, the very man who she traded not only insults but fights with, had not only crossed into her personal space but had also had the audacity to kiss her. Surprise, confusion, anger and all sorts of other emotions were visible on her face as it finally dawned on her just what had happened.

"Ahh! You son of a bitch." Reina yelled out angrily as she took the sleeve of her tunic and started vigorously rubbing at her cheek. The woman must have spent at least five minutes rubbing the skin raw as she tried to make all traces of him disappear from her flesh. Her features were twisted in disgust as she walked over to the basin of water on his own desk before soaking the rag and running it over her face hoping to erase what just happened. All thoughts of remaining calm and collected flew out of the window as she finished with the rag before promptly throwing it at his head. How in the hell could be possibly do that and then just walk away and start playing his piano like nothing had happened. Suddenly the woman was overwhelmed with the desire to take a very long shower and scrub every surface of her skin clean in case Lox's germs had somehow penetrated her flesh.

"If that's how you say thanks, I think I'd rather have you try to kill me again." Reina muttered as she turned to glare at him. Her cheek was now red and raw from all the scrubbing but she finally felt like she had gotten the imprint of his lips off her cheek. Strange, they were softer then she had expected them to be. The woman shook her head and tried to clear those thoughts out of her mind before walking towards him. "What the hell were you talking about anyway? I only send a few words to you last night and I don't think any of what I said could be considered a warning." Truly, all she had told him was to get over his defeat and act like a grown man. That couldn't have been taken as a warning could it? Her mind was racing trying to figure out just what on earth he was getting at.

Lox had to dodge to the side to avoid the sopping cloth that was thrown at him, still playing his piano as if nothing had happened with a slight smile on his face. That calm, cheerful, and happy demeanor she had earlier seemed to have floated away somewhere leaving her so adorably flustered it was hard not to look at her and laugh, but he let her vent the confusion on her cheek until he did turn around and saw that it had been rubbed a hot red from the vigor of her scrubbing the spot, and he did laugh genuinely as she walked over to him. That alone was probably the biggest mistake she could have made considering she was already off balance with that little peck to the cheek, and yet she remained in the room with him and was approaching him once more to give him the chance to throw her for a loop all over again. But what was truly bothering him was the madness that was running through his mind, and the clarity of truth that could turn things about if he only put aside his pride and act. A sad smile crossed his face as he turned back to the piano and found himself playing a low sad song until she was close enough for him to carryout his insane idea. Madness was never a comforting thing, but in the throes of insanity a soul was given truth without the clouding pride, ignorance, and lies that distorted and confused what was really there.

Lox stopped playing and with a speed that shouldn't have been present in his injured left shoulder shot his left hand out to hook the front of her trousers and yank her closer as he turned his body about and looped his right arm around her waist to pick her up. There was a discordant thrum from the piano as he sat her on the keys, but he was too close to the piano to give them any real distance so looking at her eye to eye with her legs to either side of his and literally chest to chest she had no where to go. If he had been in a rage and was considering killing her nothing could have saved her, and yet with their faces no more than a few inches apart and his own body very aware of her breathing he simply gazed into her eyes and noticed for the first time just how beautifully blue they were. "Last night you did more than speak a few words, and at the end of the evening when I was just about his close to Alice, something haggled my mind through the blur of wine that something was wrong. I saw you before you left Reina, and I remembered at the last moment that look of pity and remorse before you vanished... And off of that alone I reclined any further antics with Miss Martonis because an enemy wouldn't spare such pity unless it was direly warranted. You gave me the chance to escape, and it's made me think over a great deal throughout the day."

Lox knew after speaking with her father there wouldn't be a chance to redeem himself. The man was a tactical genius and would know exactly what his weakness was even if he himself refused to acknowledge it, so with a heavy heart the only chance for him to recover if he ever could was to let go of what was holding him back no matter how painful it would be. Lox did what he thought would consecrate his penance, and leaned the precious few inches forward and instead of a playful little peck kissed her on the lips still looking into her eyes, not able to keep the sad cast of his own crimson eyes away before breaking the kiss and murmuring softly to her once more. "You won Reina, you have my acknowledgment of the outcome during that battle, and I will not contest the issue further but ask you leave me be for a few days so I may begin my penance in peace..." With that he lifted her easily from her lap and took full advantage of her silence, easily carrying her to the door and setting her down before spinning her around and propelling her out when he opened it to the surprise of the guards outside. Finwhick was there, and with a look he entered the room when Lox closed the door behind him to leave Reina to decide weather she wanted to charge back in or walk away and save face in the eyes of the guards looking at her curiously.

Lox moved to sit on the edge of his bed and rubbed his eyes tiredly, his whole being rebelling at the thought of what he had to do next, and yet he knew that peace could be achieved if only he chose to sacrifice the only thing he wanted so desperately to hold on to. "Cousin, go to the blacksmiths of another far cousin and tell them that the crown prince requires a pair of Lon-Codariean Gauntlets made to fit him, and to alter my armor appropriately. For all of Finwhick's calm and respect the man roared with a passion Lox hadn't though he possessed. Screaming and ranting in their native tongue and voicing every single argument he had made with himself over the idea until the other guards rushed into the room with their weapons drawn only to see one of their fellows roaring at the prince in their native tongue. Lox held up his right hand with his head bowed, and the man was silent but was biting down on his lip so hard that a trickle of blood flowed down his chin and dribbled to the floor. "You have my request Finwhick, don't make this harder than it already has to be..." The man was shaking violently as he looked close to killing the prince at any moment, but at last he stopped shaking and bowed his head before departing without another word. This one act might very well be the death of him, and yet he had no other option if he wanted any room to maneuver whatsoever. There were battles still being drawn up and fought even though the war was nearly effectively over, and he wouldn't allow anymore of his kinsmen to die if he could stop it. When he was at last alone he smiled in anger and despair, never realizing until now that the key to peace at last only required a single sacrifice by the twisted will of the gods.

Reina really should have left when she had the chance. If she had been thinking right she would have walked right out that door before anything else happened. Yet that whole little incident had left her very confused and in no way thinking logically. So of course the woman was surprised when he reached out and and picked her up before he sat her down on the keys. For a moment she looked around in confusion wondering just what the hell was going on. Maybe she was still sleeping and this was just some strange dream she was having from too much wine and rich food. Yet his breath felt very real as it brushed against her skin and as he closed the gap between them she could feel the pressure of his shirt against her's. Was this some kind of attack? The woman raised her hand ready to block him if he tried to go after her but his movements were far too slow and measured to have been anything malicious. His face moved closer and there was even more confusion in her eyes as she just couldn't wrap her head around what was going on. Yesterday they had been at each others throats and now he wasn't even trying to hit her when he had the chance. Then he mentioned what had happened last night and realization was suddenly dawning on her. So he had caught the look she had directed towards him when she caught him with Alice on the balcony. Well, there went her plan to try and push the two as closely together as possible and watch the ensuing destruction for her own amusement. Yet before she could voice her protests at being manhandled and push him away from her he managed to surprise her once more.

Reina could only blink as she once again wondered in amazement at just how soft his lips were. The woman didn't encourage him but at the same time she didn't push him away either. All she did was just sit there like a statue as her own blue eyes peered into his crimson ones. Funny, she could actually see a reflection of herself in his eyes and for a moment her mind wandered to just how silly and confused she looked. Yet in those some crimson orbs she caught sight of something very different then the rage and contempt she was used to seeing. Was there sadness there? Oh no, this wasn't good. Anger she could deal with. Blinding rage she could deal with. Yet that kind of despair from someone she considered an enemy was definitely not something she could deal with. Anger was something simple and something she was used to seeing on a daily basis. When Lox acted on pure warrior instincts she could at least guess what his next move would be and how to react to it. Yet when he acted like this it threw her completely off balance leaving her with no plan of action. What she wouldn't give to be back in the battlefield at this very moment if only so she actually knew what she was doing and didn't have to act like a gaping fish.

Yet before she knew it he had pulled back and had all but pushed her out the door into a group of very confused looking guards. If she wanted to she could turn around and yell at him to demand an explanation for what he had just done. Yet her mind was strangely devoid of the anger she should have felt and instead she seemed actually...calm. Not even bothering to acknowledge the guards she made her way down the hall as faint traces of yelling in a strange tongue could be heard following her. Gingerly she placed a finger to her lips where it felt like small electrical sparks were dancing. Nothing about this made sense and it was making her head hurt. He had said that he would no longer protest the outcome of the battle and that he would begin his penance. Penance for what exactly? What was that mad man planning to do? Reina let out a groan as she slumped against a wall before sliding on the floor. Everything about him infuriated and excited her at the very same time. She had grown so used to being able to calculate the exact movements of her enemies and yet Lox was completely irrational with his actions. What in the hell was she going to do?

The sound of footsteps stopping in front of her pulled her out of her thoughts as she looked up to see the tell tale smirk that she had grown to love over the years. "You look like you could use some ale and a lot of it." Lord Darron was grinning now as he held his hand out to her before pulling her up. Yes, alcohol did seem like the very best remedy for the chaotic thoughts that were echoing in her mind. "I do believe you are right. Though you're buying." Reina said with a sigh as the man let out a laugh before slinging his arm around her neck and pulling her towards the main stairwell. They'd get some father-daughter bonding time in before they got completely pissing drunk.

The day passed on in silence, and so too did the night where Lox was visited by strange and disturbing dreams. He remembered it starting with dear Alice, her soft warmth and the affection in her voice melting his mind into wonderfully warm mush and even more so the tempting fragrance of her perfume and the smile that warmed her face. But when his dream self retired for a night of carnal knowledge of each other, when all the passion was expended and nothing was left but satisfaction and affection he looked up into Reina's sleeping face and knew beyond a questionable doubt she was utterly stunning. He woke from that dream in a total sweat, and since it was close enough to dawn he refrained from sleeping further as he crawled out of bed and requested cold water for a bath. This day would be the turning point in his ability to act with any leeway on the current conflict, and with Lord Darron's banquet complete it would be seen as a sign of honor to wait until after his celebration to take care of the grim business that was to unfold. The bath cleared his mind and sharpened his senses as he donned a simple shirt and trousers and meditated well into the morning. He took a light breakfast, and gazed at the gardens for only a few moments when he heard the guards stirring outside his door and when it opened many of his keepers were pail in seeing Finwhick carrying a strange set of black armor.

Without a word the man left and spoke quietly to his guards outside as he dawned his breastplate, shoulder guards, and special made elbow pads, bracers, boots, greaves, and gauntlets. These in particular were heavily reinforced, and had strange groves worked into the steel with finely worked ring-mail who's purpose would escape any persons outside of his kingdom. With a sigh and one last look at the gardens Lox opened the door to find all of his old guards dispersed and new guards who all bore the signs of his countryman's people led him out and into the banqueting hall where many nobles were gathering around even now. All had been given the same verbal invitation to go to the hall to bare witness to Lox's penance, and few none invited wanted to miss anything that occurred with the wild prince. Many paled when they saw him in armor, and when the king himself sat in his throne with a look of confusion on his face all eight of the guards who had brought Lox drew their blades. With naked steel to heard them, the guards made a large rectangle and held their blades to the side and faced the center. Of all the people present, it was the prince's countryman who scared the nobles and made the other guards nervous for every single one of them seemed to be on the verge of grief stricken rage thy seemed ready to attack anyone within reach. It was when Lox entered the cleared space that Finwhick faced opposite of him and unrolled a scroll before reading to all present.

"By the laws of our blood land and the rites of our home you, Crown Prince Lox, have chosen to redeem the humiliation of your nation and your family by means of the trial of Lon-Codariean. In acknowledgment Lox knelt before the speaker and willed himself not to look at Finwhick, who's hands started shaking as he continued to read. "For your nation, you will face a Lancer Captain to the death unarmed, and should you die your honor will be restored. For your family you shall face an Axe Master to the death unarmed, and should you die your honor will be restored. And for your own honor, you shall face a blade master to the death unarmed, and should you die your honor will be restored. If by the gods decree you survive the trial, your dishonor shall be wiped from the records and may never be spoken of or used against you in any way, but you are here by forbidden to ever raise a weapon against another soul. By the gods wills you shall live your days and fight with only your hands to remind you of your failures, and may the gods above have mercy on your soul." Finwhick rolled the scroll and stepped out of the closed in area where the guards keeping the border turned and readied their blades towards the crowds of nobles. None were allowed to interfere with the trial, and after only a moment a tall gangling man entered the space and brandished a lance point towards Lox as he sighed and calmed his mind for what was to come.

"He's insane. He is utterly and completely insane. That's the only explanation for all of this." Reina was practically hanging off the balcony as she looked down at the events that were taking place. When Lox had said he needed penance this wasn't what she was expecting one bit. She had thought he would maybe shave his hair and don on a monk robe but actually dueling to the death with three masters of steel wasn't even in the general area of what she was thinking. There seemed to be no method to his madness and for the life of her she could never think up just what he would pull out of his ass next. Reina had always been so good at reading people and figuring out what they were up to even if their faces didn't show it. In the beginning she had thought Lox to merely be some over privileged royal who just didn't like to admit defeat but this was on a whole other level entirely. Had being captured really hurt him so badly that he was willing to die because of it? Reina had been captured a few times herself when she was young and even more foolish and while those experiences were haunting in their own way she would have never willingly fought to the death because of them. This man had to be out of his damned mind to come up with a plan like this.

"That's not insanity. That is a man who is fighting for his honor." Lord Darron had his arms crossed as he looked down at the spectacle with a completely calm expression on his face. How he could remain so restrained even at times like this still confounded her to this very day. "What honor is there in something like this? What would be worth your life?" Her blue eyes turned to him as she waited for his answer. The man had a strange habit of seeing things far differently from everyone else and no doubt he could see some insight in this that was going completely over her head. "When you have had to fight your whole life for every scrap of respect you learn to cherish that above anything else. Yet when it is taken away from you then you will do everything in your power to get it back. Without it, your life isn't really worth living." His own eyes were still focused on the events below them and while everyone was flailing around in chaos he merely stood in place and watched the prince's face with great interest. The woman could merely shake her head in frustration as she watched the lancer enter their little barrier. There would be bloodshed today and it all seemed so pointless to her.

"He's a damned fool." Reina muttered under her breath as she leaned in closer to get a better look. Her heart was going a mile a minute at the thought of what was going to happen next. Even if she might not like it she was still a warrior who could enjoy a good match when given the chance. To watch to great fighters go into battle was a rare treat for someone who was usually distracted by swords flying at her own head to bother with the craftsmanship of the other warriors. "Tell me, who are you rooting for?" Turning her head she thought she caught a small smile on Lord Darron's face as he asked that question. For a moment she felt a slight blush creep on her cheeks as she remembered Lox's kiss from the day before. Really, who was she rooting for? If the prince died it would make her time here infinitely less frustrating but at the same time she couldn't imagine not hearing him call her puppy again and her trying to murder him. Mumbling an unintelligible answer under her breath she chose to ignore the man and go back to the fight.

As soon as the Lancer entered guarded area Lox bowed and was returned with a salute with the captains weapon but as soon as the salute was dropped he found himself backpedaling to avoid being skewered by the gleaming lance tip. The man wasn't a captain for nothing, instantly snapping the weapon back and following with an intricate series of thrusts that had Lox retreating with a bare few inches to spare without getting impaled. There was no way captain was going to give him the chance to snatch the weapon, and while the prince was abnormally quick for his size every thrust that moved past his body was pulled back and pressed towards his frame and making him retreat even further. This lancer's blade had extremely fine teeth, and it seemed it was designed to be used by a foot man who could inflict deep slashing wounds in the event that the user missed their thrust. Lox had a new respect for the captain, even if the man was trying his damn best to kill him, but the problem was the captain was driving away his room to maneuver, and if he crossed the boundaries all eight of the guards knew they had to kill him for breaking the rules. With the latest thrust Lox nearly stumbled and glanced behind to the side and behind himself to find no room remained to escape.

The captain grunted in disgust, figuring only a fool noble would take their eyes off an opponent in active combat and with no room for Lox to run made a final thrust to shred his heart. Lox didn't attempt to dodge but instead brought his right arm and used his bracer to deflect the blow to his right side, the captain hadn't noticed that in driving the prince back had braced his legs. His worst error though was not considering the odd groves and spikes that adorned his bracers, and a strange motion Lox snagged the wood of his lance and yanked the now wide eyed captain forward. Even though the masters were honor bound to kill the condemned man the force behind Lox's left fist wasn't much, he couldn't use that arm with his injuries being so fresh and he didn't want the man killed but even with the lessened blow the captain wasn't wearing a helmet and a sickening crack sounded on the square impact of his jaw. He hadn't meant him such harm, but the weight of his bracer and gauntlet did it's work with the captain collapsing before his feet. Two of the guards sheathed their swords and took the captain away, and after working the lance for a bit Lox handed the weapon over to Finwhick before returning to the center. The condemned weren't allowed a period of recovery, and as soon as the lancer captain was gone the axe master stepped in to face him carrying two single headed weapons. This man had been watching patiently to the side, and bowed with Lox and nodded his respect, but the moment they straightened he too charged and began the fight.

It seemed as if the whole crowd was holding their breath as they watched the events before them unfold. Every movement and every step seemed to be part of some terribly complex and coordinated dance as the two men in the center moved about each other. It was battle in it's finest form, a dance unlike any other. Shrieks could be heard from some of the women as blood was drawn or it looked like someone was about to die. In the far corner one of the more noble ladies had actually feinted from the excitement and there had to be at least three people around her fanning her and trying to get her back up. Everything was so intense and there was no room for error in something like this. The smallest little slip up could mean the difference between life and death for one of these fighters so they would have to be on their toes no matter what. Reina could feel her heart race even though she was taking no part in this little match. When others turned to pretty pictures or delicate music it was always battle that took her breath away with its beauty. Sure there were plenty in the crowd who found this whole display completely barbaric but that was because they had no appreciation for the skill and mastery that they were witnessing. A painter did not become a favorite without practice and a master of weapons was not made without having tasted his own steel at least once. The two men in that ring knew what they were doing and their bodies moved almost as if on instinct.

The woman was surprised that she actually let out a sigh of relief when Lox's fist connected with the Lancer and the other man was brought down. That relief was incredibly concerning for why should she care if that man lived or not? He was still her enemy after all and she shouldn't feel anything other then rage towards him for the men he killed and his actions earlier. "You seem awfully quiet." Lord Darron mused as he leaned towards the railing and watched the fight with hooded eyes. His face gave away no emotion as if he knew just how this whole thing was going to turn out while everyone else was left guessing. "I'm enjoying the show." Reina said with a huff as she continued to peer at the ring as the next man stepped forward. Lox would have no time to catch his breath so it would be impressive to see how he could keep up with a fresh opponent.

While most nobility was used to intricate swordplay and stunning displays of grace and beauty the type of combat that Lox was engaged in with the axe master was something none of the nobles would soon forget. It wasn't beautiful or heroic, it was only the smallest taste of the brutality that truly occurs on the field for the two men pitted their entire bodies against one another in what looked like a fight between two animals. The axes would tangle with the workings of Lox's bracers and gauntlets, and the sound of the second axe being smashed out of the way would reverberate within the hall as legs and booted feet sank into both of them in equal measure. There were times when they'd separate only for an instant before treading blows, and a few instances where Lox threw caution to the wind and dragged the axe master to the ground only to be thrown away from him and giving time for both to scramble to their feet. For the most part Lox's battle with the Lancer was bloodless, but while he bled from an odd dozen slashes from his enemies weapons the other man had suffered the heavy blows of his fists and knees. For the most part the whole ordeal looked like just a brawl, but what none of the nobles would see was if either had made a mistake earlier, the other would have slaughtered them without remorse or splendor on the ground or on their feet. It was after all how most battles broke down into single, brutal, bloodshed.

They charged again, but at the last instant the axe master shifted his weapons and brought both of them to bear on Lox's left side with one aimed towards his neck and another towards his stomach. Lox was left with only one choice, and took it without thought as he used his left bracer to stop the blow towards his stomach, and arched his body sideways to catch the second axe on his shoulder guard. As soon as the weapons hit he lashed out with his right fist in the wake of shock and agony that exploded in his left shoulder, and this time he caved in the axe master's left temple killing the man instantly as he staggered back and away from the corpse. Kneeling as two more guards came to take the body away, Lox rested his left arm on his knee and after bracing it shoved his shoulder back into it's socket with a sickening pop that could be heard clearly through his armor and rose. He was breathing hard, and his face was a dire ashen color but to those exprienced enough to notice his left arm dangled uselessly at his side and he would have to face the blade master with one arm and in the pain of his most recent injury. He smiled warily at the thought that if he hadn't poked at his little puppy so much she might not have stabbed his already hurt shoulder.

By now the crowd was worked up into quite a frenzy as commotion spread all over. You could take the most high-breed of people but as soon as you put them in a room together and showed a fight with blood they would become just like everyone else. Shouts were being thrown in the air as everyone rooted for their favorite to win. By now most of the women had turned a pale white while the men had their fists in the air and some were even betting on the outcome. This was a sport to them just like the jousting tournaments they held on occasion and every sport had to have a winner. Reina couldn't help but show the disgust on her face as she looked down on the screaming crowd. Most of them had never even held a sword properly let alone been in battle and yet they were enjoying it like nothing else. The men who had actually fought in the war were watching the whole spectacle with grim faces as they saw it through a different light. Everything in there was blood and madness as the two men charged at each other with only the opponent's demise in their minds. Yet when that final blow was dealt a sudden hush fell through the crowd as the guards carried away the man who had been alive just moments before. It was starting to dawn on them that this wasn't just some game and that people were really going to die tonight.

She felt her nails dig into the palm of her hand as a small trickle of blood flowed to the marble floor indicating she had pierced the flesh. This round had to have taken quite a toll on Lox and she could see that his momentum was fading quickly as he struggled to stand up. This last opponent would be fresh while having the added bonus of seeing the beast prince fight two times before. This wasn't some ritual, this was utter madness. "How can the king possibly allow this to keep going? If Lox dies our kingdom would be held responsible and we would lose a valuable bartering chip." In her mind she told herself that was the only reason she cared about the outcome but still there was this nagging feeling somewhere. "The king realizes what's at stake and he is betting on the prince to win." Lord Darron said simply as if it was the clearest thing in the world. Every fiber in the woman's being wanted to rush down there and put a stop to it once and for all. Yet the king was allowing it and Lox himself had chosen his fate so it wasn't up to her to decide what to do.

Lox hadn't noticed the ruckus the nobility was making on the sidelines for the entirety of the ordeal, he couldn't spare them the attention when his countrymen were honor bound to kill him in this test of honor and the throbbing agony in his left shoulder was starting to blot his vision as he swayed gently on his feet. But to his horror, when all was silent it was Finwhick who entered the ring next and drew his sword in a strange but very familiar salute that made Lox pale even further. There were so called sword masters in every nation, but the salute being given to him was of a first level swordsman in his country, effectively making this single man the equivalent to a score of his father's personal guards. There were no more than a handful of men in his level, and four personally guarded Lox's father which boggled his mind as to how Finwhick had become a far cousin even when he held such a momentous title. Unlike the first two Finwhick strode forward with his sword presented to his enemy with complete calm, and yet when he was within reach the sheer force of his blows came louder against Lox's bracers than the axe master's attacks. It took every ounce of Lox's remaining speed and strength just to keep himself from being killed, and yet if it weren't for his size and the thick bracers this master would have easily broken his limbs with even one of his strokes.

In the beginning Lox was aware of everything around him as his senses opened up and the excitement of combat boosted his reflexes but his body was flagging, and the pain of his injuries were pushing more and more of his senses out of the way and closing his mind to everything but the man before him and the flash of his blade. A first level master was the essence of swordsmanship in his country, and when a blow was deflected he countered instantly by turning his blade to wounding Lox on his return for another stroke. In this way even in the defense Lox was being torn to shreds by the blade already slick with his blood, and every single area that wasn't covered by armor was nicked, slashed, and stabbed at in an attempt to further cripple him. As sickening as it was to watch, Finwhick had a look of deathly calm as if he were simply working on a difficult task that required his full attention and showed everyone what a true blade master looked like when they strode into combat. To his own credit Lox was pleased in knowing that the blade master couldn't kill him outright yet... but he was a master, and these men were known to have extreme patients in battle when others lost themselves to rage or madness and was bleeding him dry.

From where they started, Finwhick had slowly backed Lox up and left a trail of splattered blood and disturbing perfect boot marks where he advanced leaving Lox to meet his inevitable doom at the closing edge of the combat area. He couldn't feint him as he had with the Lancer captain, and he hadn't had the strength or maneuverability to meet him evenly, and his death would be assured in the next few heartbeats anyways. With his vision blackening at the edges and his blocks coming slower and more sloppy with each passing moment he saw a look of sorrow and pity cross Finwhicks face as he prepared a death blow, and Lox knew that he had reached the end edge of his allowed space. The man wouldn't disgrace him by letting the guards kill him off now, and he was going to mercifully kill him as Reina had failed to do when he had been first defeated. But Lox didn't hate Reina anymore, and as the master executed the blow perfectly towards his heart he didn't roar as he had when he fought the guards on hearing his fate or even on the battlefield where he fought by his men under his command. Lox screamed, and in it held every ounce of rage, helplessness, and sorrow he had kept guarded so long it gave him strength enough to raise his left arm and grab the naked blade as the master lunged.

The gauntlets weren't designed to protect the palms of the wearers, and the razored weapon easily carved into his left hand even as he pulled it away from it's intended target. Finwhick was trying to stab him through the heart to make it quick, and even with his armor the master would have been able to hit his mark but Lox turned the blade farther to the left and up where it jammed into his armor and to his agony and luck, had turned enough to lodge between his ribs instead of slipping between. Lox hit Finwhick in the jaw with his right hand even as he screamed, and as his status of master swordsman he pulled back from the blow without his weapon to keep from being knocked unconscious even if the blow did daze him. But as fickle as the gods were, they seemed to have shown the prince favor that instant because Finwhick slipped in Lox's blood and Lox backhanded him with every last bit of strength and weight he could muster. It was more the weight of Lox falling that knocked the blade master unconscious, and he slammed down on his knees with Finwhick lying still but breathing in front of him. With a strangled cry Lox yanked the sword still lodged in his armor out and hacked a wad of blood and foam onto the floor as he struggled to get up, and for a moment he stood with everyone silent and managed only to hobble a few steps towards the great halls doors before collapsing into blissful blackness.

This was utter madness. Every blow, every wound, there was nothing but chaos in the air. By now the crowd was in quite a frenzy as shouts echoed through the hall making it impossible to even hear one's own thoughts. Blood was on the floor and the metallic tint made Reina wrinkle her nose. This was a scent she had grown incredible accustomed to over the years but that didn't mean she didn't hate it any less. Right now it was impossible to even guess what was going on in the mind's of the two men fighting down there. They were aiming to kill, each to protect their own honor, yet neither one of them took pleasure in the thing. For her this whole show was barbaric and disgusting. How could you possibly redeem yourself by fighting against someone you don't see as an enemy and actually attempting to kill them when they had only helped you. There was a grim expression on her face as she looked down at the spectacle. Never would she raise her sword against her own men simply for some stupid idea that you needed to be redeemed for being captured. People were going to die and all because the prince was too pig headed to let the past be the past and move on with his life. Her hands were clenched and her knuckles were white from the force with which she was gripping the banister. She just wanted someone to put an end to this barbaric show before any more blood was spilled.

"What's wrong? Not enjoying the show like everyone else?" Of course he would know what was on her mind. After all the time they spent together she was almost convinced he could read her mind entirely. "They're going to die, and for what?" The woman practically spit it out as another cheer went up from the crowd. "Where is the honor in something like this? If you want to prove yourself then you fight against the enemy in an open battlefield instead of putting on some spectacle for some pompous fools. I have no respect for a man who would raise his sword against his own just for the sake of his wounded pride." There was a fire in her eyes now as another blow was dealt and it looked like Lox would be down for the count. Lord Darron didn't say anything and merely shook his head from side to side as if he was having some silent conversation with himself. Whether the man agreed or not she wouldn't know but right now all she felt was anger at everyone around them.

Finally, just when it seemed like Lox's fate was sealed Finwhick slipped and Lox attacked him with everything he had left. The blade master fell to the floor and within minutes Lox collapsed as well. This whole mess was finally over as physicians rushed over to both of the men and carted them away to check on their wounds and see if either one of them was still breathing. After the silence there was excited talking once more as the nobles discussed just what they had seen and some even debated who the real winner of the match was. It didn't matter to her though, Reina merely turned from the main hall and walked away towards the practice fields. Being near all these people was starting to get on her nerves and what she had just witnessed was making her boil in anger. Despite her earlier misgivings she really had no doubt anymore that the beast prince was the enemy and nothing more. She would do everything in her power to make sure he left as soon as possible so she'd never have to face him again.

Lox didn't wake after the physicians cleaned his wounds and bandaged him up, nor did he wake for two days after as a fever wrought havoc with his already weakened body but when he did at last rouse from a sleep that should have killed him he ached all over. To him the fights were still fresh in his mind, and he grieved the death of the axe master for the sake of honor, but his country wouldn't accept anything less if he ever wished to hold sway again. There was his tiny doctor sitting in a chair beside his bed and on seeing him awake the man had hot soup and fresh bread brought to him as Lox requested a quill and writing materials and wrote as he ate. His letter was very simple, and though the method he had went through to reinstate his status and honor nearly killed him the purpose became clear as he asked for the current positions of his country's forces, and the number of days it would require personally reach them. While his father and this pompous king haggled over how they were going to divide up the contested lands and left the armies to bleed for no purpose it was his intent to take command of his countryman and halt all combat actions in accordance with the peace negotiations that were being made. While he wasn't personally in any danger he wasn't willing to let his own people die for no good reason when peace was being worked out, and his only choice in achieving that was to redeem his honor or be denied by the current command structure in charge of their armies.

When Lox was finished he handed the letter to the small doctor and told him to deliver it personally to Lord Darron and to allow no one else to receive it with the exception of Reina, who could deliver it directly. With that he finished eating and was immensely pleased when he was brought hot water for a bath that the doctor must have fetched when he left, and after cleaning himself and allowing one of the maids to reapply his bandages he slipped into soft dry cloths and went to his piano. He was only capable of playing slow soft music with how stiff and painful his shoulder was, but even then it soothed him to no end being able to play. He played a particularly long song that was both sad and joyous for the death of the axe master, and prayed to the gods he would understand what must be done to save thousands of their countrymen from senseless slaughter. Even though his plans were coming together he was excepting a visit from a very ill tempered puppy any time now with his awakening, and somehow that made him smile gently as he played a happier playful song and awaited response from either Darron or Reina anytime soon. It was still early morning, so it could take all day but then again he was more than happy to rest and recuperate after the events of two days prior.

For some strange reason he couldn't place, he wanted to poke fun at his puppy even though he was fairly certain that she was in a towering rage at him. And though he wouldn't admit it out loud he still remembered the soft scent of soap and leather from when she was sitting in his lap and on this very piano and actually blushed a bit at the thought. He really was getting a bit too involved with the puppy, but gods it was becoming a terrible sport of his to agitate her even if it did mean likely being jumped or stabbed or any other number of terrible things she was capable of. Her children might very well be as frightening as their mother, and he laughed at the idea until his entire body ached.

Calm stepped echoed through the hall as they approached Lox's door. A small smile was on the man's face as he heard music filtering through the heavy wood and lightening the hallway just a bit. Pausing at the door the man slowly opened it and entered while trying to not disturb the man. It would be such a shame to cut off the music mid beat and so Lord Darron patiently waited to the side of the room as the song finally winded down. When it appeared like Lox was finished playing the man gently clapped his hands together showing his appreciation for what he had just heard. It was so rare to find a musician who could pull emotion into his songs instead of merely playing the notes on the page. Most couldn't tell the difference but a fine tuned ear could hear when a man was merely mimicking the songs of a master and when a man was a master himself. "That was lovely." The man said as he pushed away from the wall and walked towards the prince. There was no irony or condescension in his voice and he meant everything that he said. For Lord Darron such mind games were for fools and he was never one to really mince words when he wanted to. Men should be outright with their thoughts and intentions and anyone who hid it shouldn't be allowed to call himself a man. Maybe that was why he had so much freedom in court as opposed to the other noble lords. For most of his life he had kept out of political business and only offered his advice when it was truly asked for. The king liked to keep him on hand to play the devil's advocate when such need for the role would arise in order to keep the court from falling apart.

"It is nice to see that you are up and well again. There was a lot of talk going around in the hours after your fight. You wouldn't believe how many people actually thought you were dead or that the man fighting in your stead was actually a doppelganger." At that he had to give a slight chuckle as he thought of just how foolish people could be when they let their minds wander. In castles it always seemed like the sport of choice was gossip and the nobles of this land were champions of the tongue. "Then again you nearly had a close call from being murdered in your weakened state with Reina wanting to smother you in your sleep. You're lucky she still can't hold her liquor." The day after the show it took about five guards to restrain the woman from barging into the room and suffocating Lox in his sleep. Luckily Lord Darron had managed to intervene and instead of a murder they actually managed to have a good night at one of the local taverns until all involved were in a drunken stupor. Ah, only a fool would question the powers of alcohol as a mediator for these kinds of situations. Who knew how many wars had been diffused by the opposing parties sitting down and getting properly smashed with each other. There was a kind of friendship that could be built only after you had an unintelligible conversation egged on by hard liquor.

"You might want to watch out though. Now that she knows your awake I have no doubt you'll be receiving a visit soon." For now the woman was with some of the new recruits but by the time word reached her she would be barging in here and threatening to tear Lox limb from limb. Actually, the whole spectacle the two put on was really quite amusing. It was like watching two young children constantly try to annoy each other with names and fist fights. "I received your letter though. What was it that you wanted to discuss?" It would be a lie to say that Lord Darron wasn't surprised to have gotten a letter from Lox. The two men had a pleasant enough conversation at the banquet but for the life of him the man couldn't fathom just what the prince wanted to talk about.

Lox had quite a bit of respect for Lord Darron regardless of his efforts against his own country during the excessively long and drawn out war, and was pleased to hear compliments that were honest and not laced with some kind of honey or poison. His respect was doubled by the directness of his actions and speech, not playing the ungodly game of dancing around a topic in hopes to either force or coax the other into a compromise that favored them. "To be honest Lord Darron, I was hoping to use my newly acquired status as a leverage to speed peace talks along their course and to end the bloodshed that's been occurring during my incarceration. I have some knowledge on where my countries forces are arrayed and quite a bit of experience with our lead generals to pinpoint where exactly they might be hiding or reinforcing an area, and it is my intention to send them into a neutral status." Lox rose from his bench and moved to the window to look outside at the flower gardens as he held his hands disarmingly behind him, a habit he had fallen into quite a while ago even if some might see it as nervous it was actually a sign that he was relaxed. "I don't want further bloodshed between our two countries in the midst of peace negotiations, and weather I like it or not being dragged through the dirt was possibly the best thing to happen in the past few generations to end this war. While your monarch and my father may not be on the best of terms, they are at last speaking and it would be prudent not to give them any other reason to squabble with continued battles."

Lox noticed a very distinct female stomping around the outskirts of the gardens with a look of utter venom on her face heading towards their section of the castle, and smiled fondly as he pointed out Reina to the Lord who was no doubt coming to give him a piece of her mind. "As barbaric as the contest was, it gives me my status back as a full prince and commander under my father, and while the other generals may be aware of peace negotiations I plan to give them a full explanation as to what's happening to speed the peace agreements along. While I don't have my full status without the ability to carry a weapon, there hasn't ever been more than a handful of individuals who've survived the Lon Condarean and it gives may give me more of an edge with the current general staff that's being fielded by my father." Turning around Lox smiled tiredly at the confrontation that will soon come with his captor, and facing the man directly he calmly made his request. "It may be seen as an insane venture, but I'm becoming far to accustomed to that title, and if it is within your power I was wondering if through you I can be allowed to travel to the current contested areas to demilitarize my nations side of the conflict and deprive the monarchs of any reason to further this war." Looking outside, he saw a hot glare being thrown up towards his window and he returned a cheerful smile before turning back to the Lord and bowing low. "I give you my word on my honor I will not attempt to flee, suicide, or otherwise instigate further war and I understand if it even is possible it may very well take time to convince others to follow along this insanity. But I have no doubt that what is viewed as unthinkable now will be remembered as the simple logical course to undertake though it seems we both have our fair share of hotheaded hatred on both our sides."

There was a distinct slam of a heavy door outside and Lox had a fond smile on his face as he gestured towards the door and winked at the man. "If you'll excuse my rudeness Lord, I'd like to be alone for my next... contest with your daughter. If there's anything left after I'd love to talk more in depth after certain hurdles are either passed or failed miserably." Shaking the mans hand firmly Lox opened the door and peaked outside to make sure a certain someone wasn't stomping their way down the hall yet and smiled mischievously at the Lord. "I have a trial ahead of me with a certain very agitated puppy, and I'd hate to drag you into it but you'll most likely hear about it soon enough. Though it is my intent to face such a fierce pup on my own even if she may very well try tearing my throat out." With a hand he lead the Lord out and asked the guards who were all far cousins to whisk him away as fast as possible and preferably away from where Reina was coming from before returning to his piano and playing a song he swore was called the happy puppy in this country.

Lord Darron mused over what he had just heard Lox say and began to wonder of the course of action the prince wanted to take. Of course everyone wanted this war to be over and far too many lives had already been lost in countless battles but would he be able to convince the king to allow him to take his most prized captive out of these walls? "I will try my best to have a word with the king. Whether he agrees or not I cannot say but I will try." No more battles were going to win this for either side and it was time to finally put an end to all those lost lives. Of course even if Lox was allowed out no doubt it would have to be under an intense supervision and with countless guards. The prince might have his word but that wouldn't stop a paranoid monarch of thinking the very worst. It would take a few days to even get the king to sit down and talk to him about this but Lord Darron was curious to see just how things would be going. At the mention of Reina coming the man had a slight smirk on his face as he thought of just what would be going on. No doubt there would be yelling and fists flying. The poor prince really was in no shape to deal with the enraged woman but he seemed hell bent on egging her on as much as he possibly could. Yet again he was brought back to the idea of two small children calling each other names and trying to make the other try. If Reina actually wore pigtails Lord Darron wouldn't have been surprised if Lox would have pulled on them. The two provided plenty of amusement for the older man and no doubt later that night he would have his daughter barge into his room and start ranting about how much she hated him and complaining about her visit. "Well your highness, I do wish you luck. Better you deal with her then me." And with that the Lord left the room and made his way down towards the study at the far end of the castle which would surely be an escape for the noise that was about to come.

Even with her small frame anyone could have heard the girl coming from a mile away as she muttered curses under her breath and went into vivid detail of just how much she would like to torture him right now. Eventually the woman found herself infront of his door where the guards were stationed and giving her a nervous look. They might have been from his land but every man worth his steel answered to her within these walls so they couldn't stop her even in her enraged state. The woman didn't even bother to knock and instead slammed the door open with enough force to rattle the cabinet by the wall. A loud thud echoed through the hallway as she closed it behind her with just enough force and focused her glare on the man currently playing the piano as if nothing was wrong. Her hands clenched into fists as she made her way towards him with death written on her face. While Lord Darron might have been patient enough to wait for him to finish playing she couldn't care if he was in the middle of a song or not. With just a few more steps she was standing directly behind him and still he played like he hadn't even noticed her presence. Everything that Lox did got on her nerves but when he chose to ignore her or treat her like a puppy that made her blood boil in rage and made her want to stab him with something sharp.

Lifting her hand up she brought down the open palm on the back of his head. There wasn't enough force there to actually do much damage but it would definitely get his attention and stop him from playing. "You idiotic son of a bitch!" Reina snarled as she looked down at him. Right now a whole host of emotions were flooding her body; rage, confusion, an unwavering desire to hurt him and a bunch more that she couldn't even explain. "I've finally found out that your whole purpose here seems to be to make my life as horribly difficult and complicated as you can possibly make it." Each word was punctuated with a poke of his chest as she pushed him again. Her life had not been simple by any means but it seemed that as soon as Lox arrived it had become worse by a hundred fold. First he tried to kill her, then he treated her like she was some little dog and then he kissed her and now this. The girl was completely at a loss as to what to think of him so she automatically went back to her default emotion; anger. It was almost comical really, at this moment she could have easily passed for a child throwing a temper tantrum as she waited for whatever words his wit would allow him to say. No doubt the next words out of his mouth would do nothing for her temper and only make her want to crash his skull into the walls.

Back
Top Bottom