Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Guardian's Challenge (Fancy_Brat and xdeviltriggerx)

xdeviltriggerx

Planetoid
Unbeatable...unstoppable...known to have defeated even the mightiest of armies singlehandedly...the words of warning from his tribal elders were heard but did not stick.

"Lucian, you wish to challenge their champion? Have you lost your senses?"

The young warrior strapped the sword and shield to his back. The village was one day's hike to the shrine, and he knew what had to be done. He had proved himself as a warrior during previous raids, always being one of the few to come back as the survivor. Lucian looked towards the elders. "If I die, then I die notably. Either way, that guardian needs to pay for what happened." He began walking towards the village. If he kept on without stopping, he would make it to the shrine by nightfall and call out their guardian for combat.

The small town of Kylier was starting to come to life as the morning came. Everyone knew everyone else, and it was a very close society. Of course, they had reasons to be happy though. This was a town that prided themselves with a powerful guardian. Ages ago, the town was threatened numerous times by different armies or groups. However, legend spoke of a guardian that had come and fought alongside the townspeople, eliminating the armies single-handedly. Since then, she has watched over this town and protected them from all threats. A shrine had been built for their protector, and thousands of years later, it still remained. A short walk from the village would take you to a large area with the shrine right in the middle. Nobody from the village was permitted onto the grounds, except for the holy men bringing offerings. A short flight of stone steps led up to the doors, which were shut tightly with chains. Two pillars stood at both sides of the steps. Two statues stood on each pillar, both resembling a crouching wolf, as though they would attack any intruders. However, the town allowed visitors from outside the village to observe the shrine, which their guardian was said to inhabit.

Lucian continued along the path. A little further and he would be at the outskirts of Kylier. The shield and sword on his back were growing heavy on his back, and he decided to stop and rest for the night. The elders had made sure to pack him with some degree of provisions, which he removed from the small pouch on his back. Taking a draw of water from the wineskin on his side, he took a bite of the meat.

"You should not have come," he heard a voice say. Grabbing his sword, he looked around. No one was there...the plains on the outskirts of Kylier had been known to play tricks on travelers, and as much as he prided himself on not falling into simple distractions, Lucian had fallen victim to the blunder. Still, that guardian would prove to be a worthy adversary...if anyone could take out entire armies singlehandedly, they would prove to be a challenge.

A gentle breeze moved through the town, moving all the way to the shrine. the breeze moved over the shrine as well. the holy man stepped down from the stairs after placing numerous exotic plants around the shrine. It was truly a magnificent sight to behold, though it was truly a shame that not many got to examine the sight. Many were fearful that the guardian would eliminate them if they came over to observe, especially if they were from villages that had previously tried to attack them. Once the holy man had left, a gentle sigh seemed to come from the shrine. "A new face...What does he come here for?" The voice of a young maiden came about, though not audible by anyone around. While she sounded young, she was thousands of years old, but even that wasn't quite known. She was able to sense the new presence, but she seemed quite aware of his intentions from the start. The town rarely ever had any sort of warrior come in, and most were there to cause trouble.

Lucian walked into the town, his feet guiding him to the temple. As he walked in, he was greeted by one of the town holy men.

"You seek to challenge our guardian, stranger?"

He nodded. "Not a smart move on your part. You'd best to be moving on." He continued onward towards the temple. It was magnificent- it definitely could use some repairs, but it was a sight to behold. Outside of the temple, he saw more holy men.

"Curse you," he said, "let me pass."

"No," the first one said. "I cannot allow more blood to be shed just because you seek a fight. Please leave now, before harm befalls you." Lucian drew the sword from his back, taking his shield on his arm.

"I fear no man or beast. Do your worst."

Another little breeze had come over the area as the warrior moved towards the temple. He was confronted by one of the holy men, and his intentions were made known, just as she had thought. However, it had been such a long time since she had raised her weapon for any reason. She could not allow him to cause any harm to her people. The breeze had picked up, now a more powerful breeze that could push them back a bit. The voice came up now, as intense as the wind. "Young warrior. What are you hoping to achieve in coming here? You are welcomed whole-heartedly in this land, yet you choose to go against the hospitality my people have given. For you to even threaten those I allow in my presence is an unforgivable deed. Leave here at once." However, Lucian was the only one who was able to hear this voice, as she had wanted it that way.

"I said I fear no man or beast. Stand and fight!" Lucian held his shield at the ready, his sword in a motion to strike. Two of the holy men knelt before the temple, trying to assuage whatever divine force controlled the winds. "I am Lucian, and I seek combat with the bravest of warriors. Tell me, how is it that someone so powerful, someone who slew armies singlehandedly is afraid to face one warrior?" He drew a line in the sand with his shield, challenging whatever force lay behind the temple walls.

"I say again...stand and fight!"

Immediately after, the doors of the shrine had swung wide open, the chains bursting and sailing towards Lucian, stopping just short. The wind had picked up significantly, though after a few seconds it had calmed down a bit. He could see that the holy men were now laying on the ground, unconscious. Despite how small the shrine was, it was impossible to see what lurked inside, as though it led into a long hallway. Soft footsteps could be heard coming from inside, and soon enough a figure had appeared before him. Standing now at the top of the steps was a beautiful young woman, though her appearance seemed more of a child. She wore a pure white robe tied at the waist with a long red sash, both gently fluttering in the wind.. She had long silver hair which she let billow freely as well. Her eyes were a magnificent golden color, giving him a cold stare. What perhaps stood out more were the pair of large ears on her head and a tail coming from her backside, very similar to those of a wolf. Metal could be heard dragging against the stone as well, and Lucian could see a long slim katana gripped tightly in her left hand. One could picture your typical Japanese woman, though with a much more fearsome presence. "I have laid many hot-headed warriors like yourself to their end. I will not allow you to threaten anyone on my land." She seemed to be speaking through the wind, though she raised her arm up to point her sword straight for him at her last few words.

Lucian was not afraid. He shifted his weight to his other foot, ready to run in and strike. Was this truly the one that had defeated all those armies? No, it couldn't be.

"I seek the guardian of this temple," he said, "and I will stop anyone who dares to stand in my way."

He pointed the tip of his sword towards the woman. "I do not wish to cause you any harm, but if you do not stand down, I will cut you down." He could feel the wind picking up in a faster degree now, raising his shield as a brace. "Cheap parlor tricks, nothing more. If you wish to fight, then face me!"

"Foolish youth. You must have already figured out the the Guardian of this land stands before you right now. Anyone claiming to have been me would be disposed of already." She slowly began descending the steps, her katana still pointed straight for him. "I am curious however. One who would dare challenge me without knowing the consequences must have a particular reason for doing so. Why do you come here?" she said, now at the bottom of the steps. "I have no intentions of standing down, as I see you as a threat to my people. It is you who must step down." She raised her blade before her to hold it both hands now. "But I'm sure you have no intentions of doing so."

Lucian dug his heels in. "You are correct in that assumption that I will not stand down. I have heard the tales of your fighting capabilities, but my reasons for fighting are my own. If you're truly concerned for the safety of your people, then let us take this somewhere that they will not be harmed." He braced himself. "Either way, whether I live or die is not of your concern, Guardian. Face me!"

She stared intently at him for a while, giving a slight nod as she lowered her blade for now. "That would be a reasonable choice. I do not intend for anyone else to be involved." She paused as she looked over the holy men still on the floor. She had put them to sleep for now so they would not see her. "There is a field just beyond those trees." she said, motioning with her head to guide his attention behind him. "It will be wide enough for our duel." She said, starting to walk towards him. She had no intention of striking him down along the way, though she was perfectly defenseless if he chose to. She slowly walked past him, heading in the direction she had spoke of.

Lucian may have been bound by his own motives, but at the same time he was an honorable fighter. Sheathing his weapon, he strapped the shield to his back and began the trek in the direction that the Guardian had spoken of. She did have some skill with a blade, but it would take more than just some fancy swordplay if she was aiming to kill him. As they approached the field, Lucian spoke to the Guardian.

"Tell me, is there a name that will be written on the shrine built after your demise?"

She glanced back at him briefly, only to see if he was following. She didn't bother to turn as he asked his question. "If you are speaking of a name of which to call me, then there are many that could be written." She paused for a while as they moved through the trees. "To most, I am known as the Guardian of Kylier, or Kylier itself. To some, I am the Wind Goddess. Others say Kaze Okami. My real name is Kazemi, though you are free to use whatever name you wish. They found themselves in another open field, with the glass grown tall, reaching to their knees. She turned to face him as she still had her blade lowered. "But it is common courtesy to give your own name before asking for someone else's, is it not?" she said, looking to him curiously once more. Her tail gently swayed in the calm breeze.

"Indeed. I am Lucian, part of a nomadic tribe." He looked towards her, seeing that she never shifted her gaze as she walked. "I've been regarded as a warrior among warriors."

(Out of curiosity, do you have names for surrounding villages?)

(Um...Vale, Yumena, Olvhea...?)

"A warrior among warriors..." she repeated. "Such a title for one to hold." Her tail swished a few times behind her once again as she looked to him. "I can tell you have come from another town, but I am not sure. Where have you traveled from?" she said. The Goddess Kazemi had run-ins with many surrounding villages.

"I last made my home in the town of Vale, though I hail from Olvhea originally as that was the land of my birth." He took one of the small throwing knives and tucked it into the slit of his fingers. He wanted to be ready to get the drop on Kazemi should she try anything. "I've fought in many wars, surviving when most had branded my missions suicide ones."

"Hmm..." Kazemi paused for a while as if deep in thought. "My people have had numerous engagements with Vale and Olvhea numerous times. Why, it was Vale that had launched one of the major attacks on this town." This incident in particular was what most people knew her for. This was only one of the first armies she had taken down alone. Her ears twitched slightly atop her head, picking up movement from him. It seemed as though he was hiding something, though she was ready for anything he had.

"How much further out," he asked. He was itching to fight, the throwing knife in his knuckle ready to get the drop on her. He had heard of Kazemi's powers, and knew that he would have to hit hard, fast and precise, or she would make short work of him. "I have heard about your attack against the Vale army...among them my father and mother."

She stopped to face him completely now. She could sense how impatient he was for a fight, so she would hold him up no longer. Her expression seemed to change slightly at his next few words, seeming almost interested now. "Your mother and father...in the army? Tell me, were you ever aware of what Vale intended to do? What their reasons were of attacking Kylier?"

"Vale's reason for attacking is not my concern, Guardian. My parents were forced into service against their will, but you cut them down like leaves in the wind." He reached his hand for the sword at his back. "I loved my parents, and would go to the ends of the earth for them. When I found out you slew them, I swore that I would hunt you down and destroy you." He pointed the sword in her direction. "Tell me why...tell me why you killed them!"

"Ah. It is good to have someone like that, one you would do anything for. Love truly is a powerful thing." She lowered her blade slightly, even though he raised his at her. "I had someone like that before." For the first time, she seemed to show a hint of loneliness. "Warrior among warriors, I know not of Vale or its methods. However, I do not recognize individuals in an army. The safety of my people comes first." She wasn't heartless, as it was all she knew.

Lucian could feel himself moved with a slight sense of pity. He too knew the trials that war brought.

"I am not without pity for your situation, Kazemi. Ever since I can remember, I've wandered alone, a drifter from village to village. My only companions are my weapons."

"It is not to say I am alone. I have so many followers, though not one has seen my face. I cannot allow them to see me, for I fear they will be frightened by my appearance." Kazemi raised her katana once more, looking as though she would take no more interuptions. "As for your parents, I would not have harmed them if they had chosen to flee. Like a mother wolf looking over her cubs, I would stop at nothing to protect my children. I am no longer responsible for my actions when I engage the enemy."

Lucian looked up towards Kazemi.

"They were condemned to die either way...if they ran, they would meet death at the hands of the Vale army. If they fought, they would meet their death by your hand." He looked up at her. "I've faced the captain of the Vale army and defeated him. You'll suffer the same fate."

Back
Top Bottom