Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The Demon Lord Rises (Broomhandle and Princess)

"For ages," Zelda replied dismally as they made their way back to Castle town. She hoped that Impa had everything under control there, and that there weren't any casualties. She wasn't quite sure how the bublins had found their way past the wall, but she had an idea. Medusa could act as innocent as she wanted, but she was the only evil thing that could have possibly brought those creatures inside. She would need to have a talk with Ganondorf. "Much longer than you both and I have been alive."

"How is that possible?" Soren asked curiously, his fingers relaxing just a tad around his tome now that they were further away from that witch. Zelda was quiet for a moment before sighing softly. She supposed she would have to tell them everything if they planned to stay and help her, and it was clear that she would need all the help she could get. Especially if Ganondorf was finding his way around the treaty by using people who weren't bound by it. Two could play at that game.

"For centuries, Hyrule has been at war with a great evil. An evil that can never be completely extinguished from the world. He can be defeated, yet never destroyed. His name is Ganondorf, and me and all of my past lives have been dealing with him since the beginning, as well as the soul of the hero, Link. We are all connected together by the triforce, a holy and powerful relic that was created by our Goddesses and left behind to us long ago. It has the power to grant the users wish when whole, but it was broken into three pieces. I have the triforce of wisdom, and the hero holds the triforce of courage, while Ganondorf wields the triforce of power. He has been after the other two pieces for the entirety of his existence, and if he ever succeeds, he will have the power to control not just Hyrule, but the entire world."

"It seems we find a lot of these places," Ike said dryly, resting Ragnell against his shoulder. "But yours...that is a unique story, my lady," he admitted. "And where is this...Link now? Why is he not here?"

More importantly, this Medusa character seemed to be not part of the tale. Did she wish to have this Triforce too? Was she not part of the history of this place? Ike had no doubt that Soren would be a minor historian on Hyrule before the week was through. It seemed that this would be far more than a simple campaign of holding off monsters, which so far have seemed easy enough to deal with.

"Link is dealing with a problem in Lake Hylia. Either Ganondorf or Medusa poisoned the waters, and it endangered the people who live there, the Zoran's. He went to help them." Zelda knew it was one of them, everything was fine until Ganondorf had resurfaced. He was a blight to Hyrule, and any misfortune, most of the time he was the cause.

"It sounds like these two need to be dealt with, and very soon. Do you have a plan to stop them?" Soren inquired.

"No, not yet. I signed a treaty with Ganondorf, so he nor Medusa couldn't attack Hyrule, but I now see what good that has done us. Still, if Ganondorf marched against us, the casualties would be far greater than now. And while I don't know the extent of Medusa's power, she's already proven to me a difficult adversary since she can be anywhere she wants to be, when she wants to be, and she can rain countless monsters from the skies." Zelda explained as they made it back to town. There were no more monsters in sight, but her soldiers were still remaining vigilant. She didn't see any casualties yet, but there were some who were injured.

"It seems that they have found loopholes in the treaty," Ike murmured. "By keeping the most powerful forces away, the fights can extend for far longer without exhausting the largest forces...a proxy war, interesting." he mused. "But why would they do something like that if they have the power to tear these walls down on their own? It sounds like they don't know anymore than you do on how to end it."

At least, that was the clearest explanation Ike could gather from what little they knew.

"Ganondorf seems to be biding his time for something, and I feel like it has something to do with Medusa. Never before has he had a Goddess as an ally, to my knowledge, but if she had the power to take what they needed, she would have done it by now. I wish I knew more about her, and where she came from." Zelda sighed before sheathing her sword. It seemed like for now, the battle was over. She couldn't let this happen again, she needed to keep her people safer. She didn't know how much time she had left where she could still fight with this child inside her. Eventually she'd be incapacitated until she gave birth to Ganondorf's child. She had to think of something, and fast. "If you and your allies are interested in helping us, Ike, we can talk about payment over dinner. I'm sure you're all hungry. There's plenty of room for you all in the castle."

"We would appreciate that, your highness," Ike murmured, tilting his head in gratitude. "We've traveled rather far, it'd be nice to stay somewhere with beds for a change...you will have to forgive us if we make any social faux-pas. We are a very long way from home." Nothing clearer that fighting monsters at the front gates of a castle, but if it could breathe it could bleed. Or so conventional wisdom would tell you.

Still, it wasn't the first time they had gotten wrapped up in a war with Gods. Guess it wasn't going to be the last either. "Soren, have the others join us in the castle once they've secured the area for her Majesty's forces." They had a lot to learn and a lot to figure out, but that was just part of the job.

Back
Top Bottom