Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Civil Magic {KayLove & Eyesoffire}

Athena did as advised and stayed completely still even holding her breath as the boar inspected them. But her fear hadn't reached it peek until she was pushed aside like a sack of potatoes for the beast to get to Alric. But all she could do was watch as it inched closer to the boy.

A sudden noise caused the attention to be removed from Alric and adjusted to one of the hobgoblins and then the world seemed to catch up and suddenly she was swept up and being carried, in the assumed direction towards their destination but she didn't know if it was for sure.

"No! Get Alric!" she shouted as she looked over Crispin's shoulder to see the boy thrown over Sky's broad shoulder and the others following suit, Volka smashing her shield against a running hobgoblin's face on her way out, yellow teeth flew through the air as Tal seemed to be clearing a path before them, free from branches.

Crispin wasn't sure how long they were running, but it seemed like quite a while. Clearly the boar had too much on its mind back there to be bothered with coming after them, for it would have easily caught up and attacked if it had followed.

"Check for any signs of danger." He told the twins and Tal and Balgruff. They did so quickly, Balgruff nursed some scratches and bruises, but he seemed overly happy. Once it was established that things seemed safe in this part of the woods, Crispin lead them into something of a wide ditch so that they were out of sight. Part of it was covered by a fallen log and around them was a slight hollow within the woods. Crispin moved to check on Alric's ear. "We'll need to keep it clean before we do anything else." He explained. The tear was a rough one and it seemed like the ear hadn't come off easily. "Shit, it was bitten off." Alric looked pale as he heard these words. "Volka." Crispin whispered, the woman came to him quickly. "Do you know the weed called yellowcalf?" Volka nodded, "I shall find it." She took off silently, leaving her shield behind.

"The weed will stem the bleeding." He said, more to Athena than Alric. "It will keep the wound clean, but only if we can boil it. We can't risk a fire, the dried weed will have to do for now until he get to Heimfarl."
"How many days?" Tal asked, catching his breath.
"One more day's travel and we'll be out o' these woods." Balgruff said. "Once we're on the mountainside we'll surely meet a dwarven patrol, it's all easy from there."
Volka came back suddenly with very little yellowcalf. "There are hobgoblins." He said, whispering low. "East of us, a hunting party I think. They are loud, we will hear them soon."
"They may pass." Crispin said hopefully. "Athena and myself will be on first watch together. Balgruff, Tal and Volka, you are next, Sky, Adam take the last watch. Get some rest as best you can."

As soon as Crispin slowed Athena pushed her way from his arms to stand on her own, "I am not a child!" she said with a frustrated frown and furrowed brows and she tripped over her own skirts and moved along with their group.

She started to pace as Crispin took charge like always, telling people what to do and how to help while she felt helpless. She placed her hands on her hips as she caught her breath and watched him inspect Alric's head where his ear used to be and she watched at Alric did as he was told and laid down for his rest, she knelt beside him, rummaging through her back to pull out a small container of pale green liquid and held the now open bottle to the boy's lips.

"Take a sip," he did, "There we go, it will help with the pain." she said with a soft smile and he laid down to rest.

Athena retreated back to the side of the ditch and sat upon a protruding stone from the side of the ditch and wrapped her arms around herself but winced from touching her arm as she had forgotten that she had been cut from a blasted arrow.

"Damn.." she mumbled and she moved her cloak aside and looked at the dried blood coating her upper arm but seeing as there was nothing she could do about it she ran a hand through her hair and let out a frustrated sigh. She was worried for the boy, she had let him come on this journey, it was her fault.

The hobgoblins were heard soon enough, laughing and chattering, as well as making other grotesque sounds. Clearly they weren't anywhere near their hunting ground, not that it mattered, they moved off and their voices faded with them. Crispin let out a small sigh, he was finally given a moment to catch his breath. The day was coming on, though one could hardly tell that it was when they were so deep in such a thick forest. It didn't matter, they were a day from dwarf territory and the chance that they'd be assaulted was much less likely to happen once they crossed the threshold. As the group around him settled down for their rest Crispin noticed the way Athena sat, her physicality gave away her demeanour and he hadn't forgotten the way she'd pulled away from him a little earlier.

He tenderly made his way towards her side and sat down. "Was that your first fight?" He asked her, assuming it was, but he needed a way to make conversation with her. He spoke in a hushed tone, barely even a whisper. Crispin turned to look at Alric's prone form. The boy shifted uncomfortably, Crispin couldn't blame him.
"You're upset, I know. But we had to be prepared for this eventuality." His tone was more encouraging. Crispin knew Alric was on her mind, she had commanded him to get the boy instead of herself, but Crispin couldn't do that.

Athena defiantly ignored Crispin's presents at first but soon as he started to speak that demeanor seemed to crumble away ever so slowly. "No," she said as she attempted to yet again wrap her arms around herself but yet again the position caused her a bit of pain so she had to simply lay her hands in her lap, " In fact my first fight was with a very smart mouthed boy in the third grade, Thomas Tooley, he no longer has a perfect nose."

Athena felt her face get hot and a tear escaped, slowly begining to roll down her cheek, "He's hurt and its all my fault..." She said in barely a whisper as her eyes watched the boy in the darkness, "He's just a boy Crispin and now he will forever be scared because I said he could come." Her hands shook in her lap and she couldn't meet the mans eyes next to her. By the gods she didn't know what to do, it was her father that had always handled the larger decisions. Not her, never her.

Crispin couldn't suppress a smile when she spoke about Thomas Tooley, the name sounded haughty as well, though that was a thought from a man who never went to a conventional school. Her next words caused his smile to decompose into a frown.

"Don't talk like that, Athena." He said, leaning a little closer to her. "We can't afford to blame ourselves, not while lives are on the line. The more guilt we hold the more times we second guess and triple guess, which is not good for us leaders. It's fine to do that when you're planning something, but when time is running out you need to trust yourself." He too, looked at Alric and then back to Athena. "What's more is that we cannot afford to treat him like a child. He was responsible for his own actions, he chose to follow us and he wanted to join us. We shouldn't coddle him. We will heal him, and take care of him, but if he chooses to fight again then I will not say 'no.' In fact, I'd welcome a soldier who has been assaulted and still wants to go back."

Crispin slowed down a little. "He's been in battle, Athena. There's not much more growing up he can do." His eyes found her own and he gave her a small grin, "And as for yourself, focus on the good. Alric is alive, the gods have thought it best to bless him with two ears."

Athena sat and listened to him, not that she had a choice but she did so anyways, and for a moment she could see why people might follow him into battle. To rick your life but charge in after them anyways... It was a heavy burden, one that Athena was not accustomed to. Yet. But his words rang true and she knew it, that helped her ease her mind, simply knowing that he would get through this and they would help him in whatever way that they could. Maybe it was simply her motherly instinct that was kicking in for the boy but she still felt the need to protect him, even if that did mean making him stay back. When the time comes she knew that she wouldn't, she would hold her tongue for once.

She couldn't help but break her eyes from the now sleeping boy and glance at the man sitting beside her, his arm pressed against hers and their knees touching with how close they sat, "Just think of the stories he could tell," she returned his smile, "How a great dragon's claw came down and swiped it clean off." she laughed softly, wiping away the moisture on her cheek as she laid her head on his shoulder, "Or how the dire-boar came charging at him and only managed to catch his ear." she wrapped her cloak tighter around herself, "I'm sure the ladies will love it."

"Of course they will," Crispin said with a reassuring smile. "Ladies love scars, I know." Crispin took a moment to feel the weight of her head upon his shoulder. That area became warmer almost instantly. He didn't shift his weight, even though he was, at times, uncomfortable, he wanted Athena's head to remain there for as long as it needed to. The darkness within the forest that surrounded them made it seem like night, of course the opposite was true, and for a few moments of silence Crispin sat, staring out into the other side of the ditch.

"Of course, you can tell the same stories as well." He added. "You've been in battle too. Sure, others will not believe the part of the giant dire boar suddenly coming through the undergrowth, but if you tell it with the right details, the others who have been in a fight may start to believe." Crispin's eyes clearly flashed with memories for a moment before coming back to the present. "That's the way I used to do things." He whispered.

Athena smirked slightly when she heard him knowing for a fact that ladies did love scars, she could only imagine what stories he had told over the years. Surprisingly, the noblewoman knew that if the man that sat beside her had come sauntering up to her and tried to impress her with his tails and crazily outlandish stories that she would have happily listened. She would have soaked up his story like a sponge and smiled the whole time.

"Crispin?" she asked noticing his change in tone, as she glanced up at him and gently nudged him with her knee, "I'd like to hear some one day." she said as she nudged him again as she looked up at him her chin resting on his shoulder now, "And by one day I mean today." she was being a little demanding but she wanted to see him smile again, "And I require it to be the most dramatic one you have up that cleaver sleeve of yours." she said as she tugged on his sleeve and put her hand on his forearm, squeezing lightly.

"Well, you've wasted no time in setting the bar quite high, my lady." Crispin's tone was playful. He looked around in thought for a moment before turning to Athena and opening his mouth.

"It was my first year being a mercenary. I was young, about 16. Full of wild fantasies about fighting for hordes of treasure, slaying orcs and rescuing fair maiden. At the time they were fantasies, I didn't know that they'd see be realities." He winked, grinned and continued on. "So, I'm 16 years old, haven't truly been in a fight and the company I'm with, the Hellbaldes, are bought by a lord of the Empire to clear the fringes of his land of a troll menace. I hadn't seen a troll at the time, I knew they were big, strong and always hungry, ugly looking things too. Anyway, the other men, the older ones, didn't exactly prepare me for what we saw."

Crispin's tone went dark, as if telling a terrifying story. "The first farm house we came across the was etched in my memory and will remain carved in my mind until I die. It was evening, just about dusk, getting hard to see. The place was half torn down, and crows were coming in from miles around, perching on whatever they could. Slime covered so much of the wooden planks and boards, huge bites taken out of the walls that the trolls broke through. We din't find any bodies... just a few limbs."

Crispin moved a little closer to her, reaching across her shoulders. with his left hand, to bring her close to him, and with his right he drew out the scene before them. He emphasized each point with strong, precise hand gestures. "We tracked them for another day and found them by a dried up riverbed at high noon. There were 4 of them, all just inside the mouth of a cave they must have made. We drew them out, they can scent blood and we were just fresh meat for them. However, surrounding the cave was forest, thick, similar to this, but not quite the same. We went in, all of us, screaming a battle cry. It wad chaos in there, we were too penned in by all of them. 30 of us, 4 of them. In that dense forest we were getting crushed and killed."

"So I moved out," His finger traced up and down the palm of Athena's hand, indicating where he was running during the battle. "I knew that trolls didn't like the sun, and it was noon. They, of course, being idiots, followed me. The sun beat down on them, it almost blinded them and made them weak. I turned around and climbed the back of one so I could throw myself at the face of the other. I landed, holding on to one of it's large teeth. I plunged my sword into it's throat. It fell and I landed on my feet. The second one charged me, I neatly side-stepped it, it charged again and I did the same thing, though this time I swiped with my blade and cut it. It charged again, and I did the same thing. This repeated over and over 7 times."
He stopped talking and gave Athena a look, he was silent a while, and only started talking when he felt that Athena would say a word.
"The others came out, about 12 in all. They'd killed 2 trolls and lost 17 men. I brought down 2 of my own and only took a single scar." He patted his hip on his left side. "I'd show it to you, but I feel like circumstances should be somewhat different first." Crispin grinned and locked eyes with Athena.

"The last thing I have to say on the topic of my stories is this; you didn't really expect me to tell you my BEST story right away, did you?"

Athena had always loved stories and she supposed that was because her father always used to tell her some right before bed, the maids would even make her crowns out of twigs and twine some times just so that she could pretend she was the brave princess in his stories. But this one was different, this story had to do with the brave man before her, and she absolutely did fall into it head first. She leaned in and slid herself closer to him with a small smile and sparkling eyes.

As Crispin's tone became foreboding and dark Athena was instantly drawn deeper in, it was clearly shown on her face, she was like a fish being reeled in now as he described the place that they found. Goosebumps appeared on her arms but they were quickly forgotten as an arm was placed around her shoulders and she was drawn close, with her right hand against his chest now and her left being used as a map she didn't think she had ever been that close to someone before but not in a million years was she going to pull away.

"What-?" she as about to ask as she wanted to know what happened and how they fared but her question was answered. Altogether the story was far from what she expected but it was something that she wouldn't forget.

Her wide blue eyes crinkled at the sides with a wide smile, "Crispin," she said in a teasing voice as she playfully pushed against his chest but kept herself close, "What an adventure you've had. Not all of it can be like a tale in a story book I suppose." she said in a slightly sad tone, referring to the fallen men and the stolen youth of his teen years, "I do expect to hear the best you know. Sooner or later you'll have to tell me. Unless this is the grandest adventure that you are ever going to embark on." she said with a small laugh as she looked up at him, her eyes never leaving his.

"This certainly has all he makings of a grand adventure, even one found on books." He gestured to the sleeping forms of the others. "A group of travellers set out on a quest." Crispin's hand then moved to his chest. "The charming, young knight travels through dangerous lands with a beautiful, young princess." His eyes stayed on her own as he spoke, though he soon began to scan her face, notably her lips "Of course, I'm no knight... and you're not as helpless as a princess."

He reached up and tucked a lock of her hair behind her ear. "Do you think this will end in fire? Shooting from the maws of a ravenous dragon?" He leaned in a little, their faces getting closer. "Or perhaps we must defeat a great wizard? One who's arcane powers are far to much for the world to handle?" He looked down at her lips once more. "Or maybe... maybe this story is different, altogether more serious and full of a different kind of meaning." Crispin's lips were so very close to Athena's by this point. "Maybe our story is meant to show the world many different things." He could feel her breath upon his skin, her scent filled his nose. "Darker things. Secret things."

Crispin pulled away. "But no, when we finish this quest we'll be spun into songs and tales. I will be the knight, you will be the princess. And the others... their part... well that's not clear yet."

She glanced at the sleeping figures, feeling thankful that they were asleep at the moment, before returning her attention back to Crispin and watched him closely, "No, far from helpless, and far from perfect. No one is as a story tells." she said in a soft voice as she felt her cheeks heat slightly from his hand tucking a piece of hair away. She did nothing to hide her blush but she doubted he would notice in such dark light, as she held onto the fabric of his shirt and pulled him closer even as he leaned in.

If she had been using her magic now she would have it help air go into her lungs because it seemed very hard to breath at the moment. Even as she saw him glance to and from her lips she couldn't draw a deep breath and the world seemed to hold still as he spoke to her. "The world is a strange place Crispin...." she whispered against his lips, before biting her own bottom lip and holding still, not wanting this spell to be broken as her hand moved from his chest to his neck and to lightly touch his cheek with the back of her fingers.

But it was, shattered in fact, and Athena was released from its binds with a quick snap as she took in a long breath and let herself lean back from the man sitting beside her. She hadn't realized that her had had moved on its own accord but she reluctantly pulled it back as well, letting it skim down his neck on the way.

"No," she said as she chuckled slightly at herself for getting caught up in such a moment, "I guess we don't know do we..."

"Goodnight, Athena." Crispin said softly as he got up and dusted off his pants. He walked over to the others who were sleeping. Their time on watch had come to an end and though Crispin wasn't too keen on letting time with Athena go, he had to think of the welfare of the group. He walked over to Balgruff, Volka and Tal, shook them all awake and told them that it was their turn to watch the camp. The three of them were experienced in this sort of thing and got about their task with little to no grumbling.

Crispin came back to Athena with a light, wool blanket. He crouched by her side and handed it to her, not uttering another word as he got up, walking to his own little part of the ditch and tried to fall asleep. The part of his neck that Athena had been touching felt cold ever since her hand had left it. He found himself wanting it placed back. Crispin finally fell asleep as he watched a small mouse poke its head out of a hole in the side of the ditch, just under a tree root.

Dusk came swiftly and it felt like he had only been asleep no longer than an hour. Crispin awoke a little stiff. He got up, stretched and looked over to see Sky and Adam rousing the others. Tal was checking on Alric and Crispin insensitively moved to find Athena. She was the priority, after all.

Athena simply watched as he moved from her and a small frown formed on her face as he did so, but she didn't dare complain as she realized exactly what he was doing. He was their leader after all, she shouldn't expect him to stay with her at all times... But she did want him to stay, so badly. But she swallowed the words that lumped in her throat and put her bag behind her for her pillow yet again and wrapped her cloak around herself tightly before laying down on the low jutting stone that they had been seated upon.

She pulled her hood over her head and laid down, getting comfortable as Crispin came walked over once again and handed her a blanket. Taking the wool blanket from him she sighed softly and felt her lips turn back up ever so slightly. "Goodnight Captain." she said in barely a whisper, not truly knowing if he heard her but she said it knowing that if she hadn't she would have regretted it.

Heavy eyelids seemed to win and sleep swiftly took over. She was exhausted from such a long day and murky dreams slid across her subconscious dreams of dragons and daring men, wonderful sights a wistful hopes... But they were all scattered away as she was dragged from sleep and back to the waking world that was her life.

She couldn't help but groan and peaked her eyes open to see a smiling Sky, "Mornin', m'lady." before moving on to the rest.

Athena, trying to imitate the others, got up without complaints and began to braid her long black hair over her shoulder before carefully folding the blanket that she was given, grateful for its extra warmth.

There was a familiar sound, a falcon's caw, in the distance and she instantly shot up from her sitting position and looked up to the dark covered tree tops for the source.

"Sterling.." she said in a hushed tone as the dark colored falcon swooped in and gracefully landed on the ledge of the ditch, atop a root that was jutting out. "Oh Sterling, you marvelous bird you!" she praised him and he gave a small chirp as she stroked his head and held her arm out for him to perch upon. He did and the medium sized bird hopped on, careful of his talons and simply sat as Athena detached the notes on his legs just as she glanced up to see Crispin.

"Look who's joined us, Sterling, meet Captain Crispin," she said very proudly, "Crispin, meet my handsome Sterling." she said with a wide smile.

"No wonder you've ignored my advances, Athena" Crispin said, his tone jovial as he stroked the feathers of Sterling's chest. "You've already got a man." The bird did look regal, and extremely well maintain, it certainly seemed in the prime of its life. Though Crispin knew nothing of falcons, so he could have been quite wrong. "How long have you two been with one another?" He asked, rolling up the blanket he'd given Athena as the rest of the group were finishing anything that needed to be done before their final leg of the journey to Heimfarl.

Crispin instructed Sky and Adam to take point as they moved ahead, he wished to stay by Athena's side and inquire about their new companion. Small meadows and forest passed as they walked, the place becoming more and more hospitable as they moved towards the mountains.
"Are the notes Sterling's carrying from home?" Home clearly meaning the Rebel headquarters they'd left some time ago.

The land began to clear out, fewer trees were growing as they got closer to the trails leading up into the mountain passes. The weather got slightly cloudy, soon the setting sun was blocked out.

Athena raised a delicate brow at Crispin as he advanced, "I have been with sterling since he was a chick," she watched at the bird enjoyed the attention from the other human for a moment before becoming restless and attempting to nip at his hand. "Sterling, be nice." she scolded, if the bird heard her he paid no mind as he groomed his wing and flapped his wings powerfully a couple times to land on her shoulder as they started to walk, he was a bit large now but he still liked to be on Athena's shoulder.

"His mother abandoned him, or was probably... " she didn't dare say killed in front of Sterling, "And seeing as he couldn't go back into the wild, obviously I begged father to keep him... I always win when I want something bad enough." she said with a smile as she opened her hand to see the two notes. "They do seem to be from our people, this one has your name on it, " she said as she handed him the small scroll and read her own message. Her's was from her father telling her that everything on his end was going smoothly and that he was fine as well as telling her to send a message back on how their journey was so far.

"Father say's that everything is going smoothly back home." she told him feeling Sterling flap his wings and lift of, most likely to fly above them as the forest began to clear, maybe even look for a meal of his own. "What about yours?"

"Essentially the same thing are you own." Crispin said, folding the message and pocketing it. "Though I'm sure it's done in a much more official way. Your father didn't sign 'love, St Clare'" He smiled at Athena. "Send him a reply when you're within the walls of Hiemfarl." He suggested. "At least that way you'll have spoke to some representative and you'll then have more to tell your father than sleeping on uneven ground in the forest and occasionally fighting things with horrible breath."

The mountain soon loomed above them and an hour later they were trudging up the mountain passes, each intersection watched over by dwarven statues made by their unique stonework. Balgruff leered at each one. The dwarf occasionally stopped them and guided them on a different path, "Dwarven traps." Was the only answer he gave when questioned. A look of worry crossed Crispin's face.
A few of them had torches lit and Crispin took a moment to check in with Alric and make sure his ear was doing fine.
"The sooner we can get him to a dwarven healer, the sooner I can rest assured that he'll be alright." Crispin told Athena. "And now, within the safety of the fortress, we'll actually have a chance to discuss things with him."

Crispin would've said more if they hadn't all be stopped by harsh voices. "Ye don' look like no goblin I've ever seen!" It came from behind them, and slightly up a cross mountain pass. Crispin turned to look and four dwarves stood under their torches. Three had crossbows aimed at various members, one had a halberd that he'd lowered. He was short, even for a dwarf. The slightly more ornate helmet marked him out as the leader.
"That's because we're not." Crispin responded. "We're a delegation sent by the Rebellion, we're here to discuss a few things with the leaders of Hiemfarl."
The dwarf didn't look convinced. His response was condensed in his action of spitting on the ground.
It was then that another patrol came towards them, 4 more dwarves, arriving from down the path the group was currently on, armed similarly.
"So many patrols." Volka whispered.

Crispin nudged Athena gently. "Can you put your silver tongue to work here?"

"Father never is the kind type towards people he barely knows, but he did trust you to take me so that does say something." she said with a smile back at him as she tucked away her own note and gave a quick sharp whistle as they continued on, a signal to Sterling that he was to stay close. "I didn't expect father to contact me so soon, thought it would have at least been a couple more days, but then again this is something urgent." she said more to herself then to the others.

As they hiked Athena stayed close, hiking up her skirts to climb and keep up, it was a tedious task and she found herself catching her footing more than once and slipping. But the twins kept close, catching her if she threatened to fall while Volka simply scoffed at her skirts while taking large leaps and bounds with her long legs. Athena was ever so slightly jealous of the woman's bold choice in attire.

"Yes, " she said in a soft voice, "I think that would be best, he needs rest just like we all do." she told Crispin as she caught his hand in hers as she took a wrong step and the rock under her foot slipped. But she regained balance quickly and just in time to hear a voice speak from the darkness.

She looked with wide eyes at the people, well dwarfs that surrounded them quickly. Athena had never seen so many in once place making her speechless at the two conversed but she had read about them studied them, but that was nothing now.

Athena glanced at Crispin in an 'Oh' moment, quickly releasing his hand to smooth down her skirts and take a step forward. "Evening," she greeted as she did a low curtsy, showing the most respect that she could in a single gesture, "My name is Athena St Clare, my father is Lord St Clare and these are my traveling partners. We have come a very long, long way to meet with the leaders to discuss the Gifted Empire," as soon as she mentioned the Empire there was a soft hiss of disapproval among the patrol.

"Why do you speak of those heathens?" the leader demanded, "They enslaved our kind, forced them to work on their buildings, go back to where you came, for all we know your tongues could be filled with lies!" he said as the others with the cross bows began to raise.

"No! You assume wrongly!" she said holding up her hands and taking a step forward, "We are the resistance." she dug her hand into her bag pulling out the alliance that was to be signed if they were to join their cause and tossed it over to them, "There, that is my proof, signed by the leaders of the resistance," she watched as the scroll was caught and read with slow glances towards their group.

"We are simply here to fulfill our task," she looked around at the dwarfs as she spoke, "They have tried to suppress you all, forcing you away from their lands, taken your people, used your skills for their own benefits... We stand for everything that they are not and my friend... We are the best chance you have of uniting against the Gifted." she finished and looked upon him with cold blue eyes, hoping that what she said was the truth.

Crispin had actually forgotten all about the scroll, and was glad that he had put Athena in charge of negotiations. Time passed by slowly, tension rising with every passing moment as the dwarves gave the scroll to one another. Crispin wasn't sure what they were doing, and the night was moving on.
The dwarves soon stirred, one of them walked up to Athena and handed her the scroll. "We see that ye've got the seal and signatures of the rebellion. You'll get no trouble from us. However, as bad as the Gifted have treated us in the past, we've got other problems within Hiemfarl."

Crispin's attention was caught by the words of the dwarf. He wanted to inquire further but was cut off by the patrols spotting Balgruff and running to his side. They all quickly began making fun of him for travelling with people other than dwarves.
"You have very strange customs." Tal said to Balgruff.
"Why d'ye think I left my home?!" Balgruff said before spitting curses at the other dwarves.

Crispin finally got one aside. "What's going on, what other issues do you dwarves have?"
"I'd tell ye, sir. But I think Commander Hasting would be the better one to ask. He's in Hiemfarl. We'll take ye to him."

Athena smiled and nodded at the dwarf who handed her the scroll back and she tucked it away for safe keeping. And watched as they were greeted warmer than before, especially Balgruff who was now surrounded. She smiled as she watched the strange scene unfold as they teased and taunted but their new companion did nothing but be the normal cursing and ill mannered being that he always was.

Sky and Adam seemed to keep a close eye on the pale Alric, keeping him upright and awake, she was thankful for the two older boys.

She began to follow the dwarfs as they led them on through the sloping mountain range. She too had noticed the comment that the dwarf had made and fell into step beside Crispin. "What did they say? About the troubles?" she asked, assuming that is what he had been talking about with the dwarf from before, "I hope its nothing serious, maybe we might be able to help." she said as her thoughts began to wonder what exactly could be wrong. Was nothing going to go as planned? She assumed not.

The path they were on began to become clearer with fitted cobble stones paving the path ways, and every so often there were dwarf stone statues who were forever holding their torches to light a travelers way leading them to the entrance to the mountain.

"Maybe we can..." Crispin said quietly as they walked along the paths for some time. As they crested a part of the mountain the large, thick, looming oaken doors of the fortress of Hiemfarl rose above them. They were made of solid wood, outlined with steel and worked metal in the shape of massive dwarven figures, one wielding an axe, the other a hammer. Just outside the place was crawling with soldiers, some being order out, others forming groups to go out on patrols, and a few coming back, slightly wounded. The dwarves that had some sort of command rode to and fro on rams, armoured with leather upon them, and a vicious metal spike upon each horn.

"That's not right..." Balgruff said. Volka looked quizzically at him. Crispin caught Volka's look and explained. "I've been to dwarven holds before. These places are similar to large towns within the mountain. I have memories of the other fortress, the front doors bustling with trade and commerce as they traded with the other races. But now it seems all of that has ended, Hiemfarl has closed its doors to outside trade.
"The Empire?" Volka asked.
"Could be," Crispin scrutinized the entrance to Hiemfarl. "but the rebellion dominates these lands, the Empire couldn't have a force so large to threaten a dwarven hold without the rebellion knowing about it."
"Aye," Balgruff grunted. "Something else is goin' on."

They approached the hold and many of the dwarven soldiers gave them stern looks. The doors opened and from it came a contingent of 30 more troops, fully armed. The lead scout that had handed Athena back the scroll lead them into the doorway and stopped in front of a much older dwarf female. "Marm." He said softly. "These here folks are part o' the revolution against the Empire. They're looking to speak to the Thane."
The female dwarf nodded slowly and fixed the group with a steely gaze. She was stocky and covered in armour, ornate, indicating her rank. She held out a scarred hand to greet Athena. "Commander Hasting, at your service. We're always willing to speak to delegates from the rebellion, but right now we have more pressing matters. Follow me, I'll take you to Thane Kreegan, and we can discuss matters at length within his great hall." Hasting turned and she quickly lead the group into the dwarven fortress of Hiemfarl.

Athena nodded and continued on as she looked on in marvel at the entrance, it was something so grand that she couldn't help but take a step back to admire the craftsmanship, allowing her hand to trace over the door as they passed. A younger soldier noted her touching the door and gave her a large toothy smile before being nudged by his fellow soldier in the line. Athena smiled back and waved as they passed.

She didn't hear the others speaking behind her, seeing as she now led the way, she was completely enthralled by her new surroundings. She looked upon the older woman with respect and took her extended rough hand, taking it gently in her own and bowing her head. "Thank you greatly for allowing us to come here. It is truly an honor." she told the elder.

And before she knew it they were off into the grand mountain. Athena heard a familiar caw as the doors were closing and Sterling flew in swiftly, his silver tipped wings sparkling in the dim fire light as he swiftly dove and came to circle above Athena before landing on her extended arm and she held the predator bird close to her chest and stroked his wings softly holding him as if he were a cuddly pet and now a bird of pray.

Athena's eyes widened in shock as the entrance opened up to Hiemfarl and they began to cross over a shockingly high bridge that seemed to extend over the largest trench that Athena had ever seen. The bridge was wide it still made Athena's heart pound just thinking about falling over the edge into what she could rear was water, fast and hard rushing water, she stuck close to Crispin. She marveled at the shockingly high towers built from stone, intricate work carved into each and every pillar, she couldn't help but stare at it all.

"I wonder how many years it took to make all of this... It's so amazing.." she whispered.

"Dwarves live a long time." Crispin replied to Athena.

Homes, stores, armories, stables and statues were all carved into the rocky surfaces, this far into the city the place was lit brightly with large fires that flickered in large torches, housed in sconces, along the wall. Dwarves lined the streets, just like in any other town, selling their goods, talking, going about their business in a rushed way. There always seemed to be some pace, some underlying heartbeat that got these people moving. Or maybe it was this other issue, Crispin wasn't too sure. From every direction he could smell fire, and often a lot of roast beef, lamb, chicken, the scents of stews and fresh baked bread. Crispin looked around to see other races here as well, a few people and even fewer elves. Surely they were some merchants from neighbouring towns, travelling all this way to do business. He was amazed that there was co much going on in so vast a mountain, all of this under a ceiling so high that it disappeared into the darkness above.

However Alric's weak form soon caught Crispin's attention. "Tal, take Sky and Adam with you and find a healer of some sort." The elf nodded at Crispin's words. "Make sure you keep him close. I want one of you to come to me once Alric is under the care of a healer."
"Yes, Captain." Tal responded and broke off to tell Adam and Sky their new orders.

Hasting lead them through many main streets, the crowds seem to open up as they walked through. Soon, the workmanship of the structures began to get much more details, as if they had been crafted by extremely skilled hands. They came upon a large, long bridge, every 10 feet or so were guards, facing inwards, mighty axes and shields within their hands. At the end of the bridge were two large, steel doors that were the entrance to a small keep. "The hall of Thane Kreegan. Be respectful to all within there!" Hasting said as she lead them on quickly.
The guards at the door granted the group access and they entered into a magnificently lit hall, with chiselled art lining the walls and pillars of beauty throughout the place. There was a large, royal purple carpet that ran from the entrance to the seat of the Thane at the end of the hall.
All talk stopped as the group entered and many dwarves, soldiers and nobles alike, turned their heads to gaze upon the new arrivals. Upon his seat was Thane Kreegan, ruler of Hiemfarl. He was an old dwarf, with his braided beard almost touching the soles of his boots. He wore a simple, crimson tunic with ornate stitching, and his hands were covered in golden and gem-encrusted rings. His stern green eyes were fixed on the newcomers as he stared at them in silence.

Hasting nudged Athena. "Well, human." She said softly. "Say what you came to say."

Athena was getting tired of being nudged all over the place but then again she should be paying more attention to the matters at hand instead of inspecting the art upon the walls and deciphering the stories that were etched into the pillars. But she cleared her throat and started forward slowly, and all eyes seemed to shift towards her, the small woman. She felt very very small at the moment. But she wasn't small, she was Athena St Clare the noblewoman who can do this. Maybe.

Athena took a deep breath and let Sterling go, he flew gracefully up and perched on an unlit torch, giving an echoed squawk. "Good evening," she said in a warm voice, "Great Thane of Hiemfarl, on behalf of my group I thank you for allowing us in your grand mountain, it is truly something of a splendor and I honestly have never quite seen such an amazing land such as yours, my lord." she was getting off track as she cleared her throat, "We have come to your lands to discuss the matter in which most all hold away from ones self like a snake that is waiting to bite."

She took out the scroll once again, "We've come on behalf of the the Rebellion, to seek an alliance with your people and our people, to unite as one and become a power stronger than the Gifted ever are and ever will be again." She said and waited.

Back
Top Bottom