Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Time Enough (Lady Nightshade and Mr. M)

It wasn't until some time later that Michael led Athena back to the campsite. By that point, Joe and the men had lit a fire and started the meal. A rabbit had been caught, and some wild onions and roots had been dug up, and a thick stew was now simmering in the traveling pot from the camping gear. Joe already had a bowl cooling, with a hardtack biscuit alongside. He smiled at her, knowingly, as they strolled up. The men studiously pretended not to notice, as they ought.

"Eat up," Joe murmured as she came close. "You'll need your energy, I'm sure."

Athena took the bowl and smiled. A blush on the edges of her cheeks as she wanted to punch him back teasingly. Joe knew very well what had happened with Michael and herself in the time they had spent alone. "If I need it, you will too." Athena replied with a smile on her lips. Giving him that threat and promise twinkle in her eyes. With the smell of the fresh food however, that thought quickly vanished as she drew herself down to the crackeling fire and started to eat.

Thoughts of the days earlier events rolled over then. Athena knew that they would have to deal with them. Having to leave Michael would be hard, but she would be back and with him soon enough. Who was that man though? He knew me and yet he's playing some kind of game.

Dinner was good, after-dinner conversation was casual and good, and soon the men and Michael dropped off to sleep again. Joe sidled close, smiling, and then leaned in and whispered in her ear, barely audible even with his lips nearly brushing her skin:

“Don’t react. There’s a guy in the trees. He’s got stealth-tech, but not as good as mine. I think it’s the scary dude’s local agent, whoever it was dug the well and set off the bug-bomb.” He paused, and took a moment to nuzzle the side of her head. In the midst of this affectionate gesture, he whispered again. “Want me to take him down, and you can take us both back to Base One to turn him in?”

When Joe moved close, Athena smiled and let her gaze look over the sleeping men. Not surprised that everyone was tired as she nearly jumped when Joe's lips nearly brushed along her skin. Sending goosebumps along her body. Part of her almost reacted, if for not him speaking right then.

Athena knew why he didn't want her to react. All the agent needed was for her to react to his presence and the game was up. Instead she closed her eyes and smiled. The agent probably wouldn't mind a little show if he was watching. Which made Athena's stomach churn as Joe distracted her from the thought when he nuzzled her. Base one? He wants me to time skip now? She thought, taking her hands to his shoulders as she pulled him close and slightly onto her. Gently nibbling his ear as she whispered her reply. "yes." If the agent heard her reply, he would only assume things would be getting hot and heavy with the couple. Having to remind herself that Jow told her they could time skip and come back here without the others even knowing that they were even gone.

He nuzzled her again, and then gathered his legs under him as if to move into a kiss, as if to lay her down on the ground. Instead, she could feel him tense, and there was an almost subliminal vibration to his skin, just before he pulled back slightly and leapt twenty feet straight into the air, angled a bit to clear over the campfire and into the tree canopy on the far side. A meaty smack and a moan, and a body wearing “modern” camouflage colors fell heavily to the ground, narrowly missing two slumped men-at-arms. Joe dropped lightly to a crouch next to the body, snatching away what must have been a weapon and tossing it behind him without looking, into the fire. It sizzled and popped and disintegrated as Joe took his captive by the fabric of his shirt.

“You should have sprung for the good stuff, or gone further up the time-line, at least,” Joe mocked, as a spidery web-work of lines glowed suddenly on and under the man’s skin, and he cried out. “I’ve burnt out your circuits, and it’ll be hours before any self-repair modules kick in enough to give you your abilities back. You want to tell us what’s up?”

“T-the Jihad…” the captive moaned and worked his jaw. Joe gripped his jawbone with his robotic hand, but Athena could still hear a tiny crunch as a false tooth gave way, and the captive stiffened.

He was still stiff a few moments later, when he opened one squinched-up eye and looked at Joe, who was still smiling at him. Joe let the man’s jaw go and wiggled his undetectably false hand.

“Yeah, hit all your teeth with a burst from my molecular charger. Gave your suicide pill just enough ions to alter the chemical composition. I’m afraid you’re still with us a while longer. Oh, and most things you eat are going to taste like metal for a few days. Sorry about that.” He held his palm in front of the guy’s face for a few moments, and the man slumped. Joe turned back to Athena. “Drugged. We’ve got time, now. I think we should take him back to base to have the experts interrogate him.”

He cocked his head to one side. “Are you ready for your first intentional time-slip?”

The man looked like he was wanting to kill her. Not that she could blame him. Joe had him under control and he was a fool for even trying to sneak up on them. Say that she would had been pissed if they were really in a lover's embrace. She probably would have kicked the man herself for that. The amount of noise should have made the others wake up, but Athena knew better. Joe had no doubt put them all into a slumber to prevent anything like this to wake them.

"You destroyed his suicide pill?" Was the response instead. More curious as she slowly approached and eyed their captive. "Remind me never to make you angry." Just the way the guy looked, she knew Joe could have killed him, or done worse.

With a sigh, she looked back up to her partner and nodded. "I'm not sure how I can even do this. But, I'll try." Athena replied. Knowing she had the power. Yet still finding it strange that she was having to use it. Moving close to Joe, she didn't bother to look back amongst the sleeping soldiers to know it would hurt to see Michael. With the only sounds now of their breathing and the crackeling of the fire, she closed her eyes and concentrated. Feeling almost silly until she slipped her hand into Joe's and gained confidence. A slow warmth spread through her body. Almost tingling as she opened her eyes to see sparkling dots in front of her. Almost like fire flies but more majastic as they grew and then encircled them. Growing faster and faster until there was nothing but rays of bending light and then the feeling of flying. Hues of soft blue's rose through as she felt that same flying sensation from when she first landed in that strange land.

“Don’t worry, you’ll do it. You remember how you felt when you first did it? You always described it as a kind of electric ocean. Something like that. Just visualize it, feel it. And when you’re there, surf upstream, against the current. Go as far upstream as you can; I’m told you’ll feel it when you get close. Just steer toward the place and land where you can.”

As it turned out, once she felt the flying sensation, her vision blurred out, and the same weird sort of watery surface appeared. Part of her realized this wasn’t something she was actually seeing, it was just how her brain was interpreting the sensation of being unhooked in the time stream; this was how she made sense of it, not how it actually was. But it served.

Just like before, she found she could move around, could “surf” the surface, at will. She could still sense the “snags” in the water, although the one she had just visited was smoothed over (not completely, but it was better). What was new, however, is that she was aware of threads. She vaguely sensed the presence of a number of threads, back and forth and from side to side, crisscrossing the entirety of the water, but only one really stood out. She could sense a thread stretching back from further downstream, passing her, and re-entering the water, where it flowed with the current for a while and then rose above surface level and ended… with her. This was how she could tell where and when she entered and left the time stream. She knew now that she could move back and forth in time and even move laterally, staying in the same instant but changing her position in the physical world. Now that she had some idea of what her powers were, the sensations she was receiving made more sense, were able to be interpreted.

And, she found, she could remember all the relevant points, all the sensory information that reminded her which point in time this was, what was going on at the time. She knew she would be able to drop right back into the same night, the same moment, that she left, and would be able to remember what had been going on, what had been talked about, so she could pick up right where she had left off. Her memory had been so clear and precise since Joe gave her that injection, back in the castle bedroom, her first night in the past. Just as he had promised.

((pause here for reaction and some sense of what Athena wants to do; she can experiment and play around as she wishes, as the “threads” will only connect where she comes in and out.))

Her skin prickled with a light sensation that nearly made her laugh. Almost like a young child playing with a new toy she wanted to toy with this new power. To test the boundries and see what else it could do. Each thread was a different lap of time. If she reached and tugged, it would pull them into that direction.

Athena licked her lips and tapped her left index finger out. Pressing onto a thread that she was sure she had to hold. It was glowing a pulse of red. Something that told her it was the one she had to pull and have it lead them down the right stream. It made sense. If she had to be in a particular place right now, was it possible that Joe was somehow helping her? Did he have some kind of transmitter that made the time stream leap out so she knew what line to pull?

It was something to consider as she reached then and pulled. Though, she was still tempted to reach out to the other lines and see where they would go. Could she go back in time and fix her own mistakes? Now that she knew she could manage this, a hundred other possibilites came flying into her mind. Among those was the man that she had to leave in that past. Though, she knew that she could come back as if she had never left for him. It could be months or longer on her end. It still wasn't an easy thought, knowing that she was still some special perosn. Destined from birth to some existence to deal with time stream problems.

If someone would have told me a week ago what i would be doing. I would have told them they were crazy and would have called the cops.

Athena thought as she closed her eyes. Steadied her breathing and concentrated as the lined seemed to pull on her power. That soaring feeling taking her on a high feeling. Her skin warming as they drew faster to a blinding pace. her heart racing before she nearly felt a choking grasp of power and then a searing kiss of heat before they arrived.....

It was very strange; the whole environment was nonphysical, it was just the way that her mind interpreted the sense of the timestream, but when she imagined herself reaching out and tugging, pulling herself along, it actually seemed to work. She had no real physical sensation, she was just consciousness, but she nonetheless perceived as if she was breathing, blinking, that her skin was warming... it was a product of her mind, she knew that at some level, but it felt real... as long as she imagined her body. If she got distracted looking at her surroundings, she could forget for a moment, and then she wouldn't have sensation until she realized what she was missing. It was disconcerting, but educational.

The travel process was instantaneous for a passenger, Joe had told her that, so, physically, she must have been traveling instantaneously, too, but she still perceived the passing of time. Or... did she? She'd had an odd, back-of-the-brain internal sense of time when she'd been "trapped" in the past, and she hadn't really noticed it very much until it was utterly gone, like it was when she was here. No time, no weight, no gravity, and yet no falling, no air, but the impression of breathing, no body but the impression of travel, of action, no eyes, but the impression of blinking. All in all, it was a very confusing space. And her mind was creating it, and creating her reactions to it. That was as astounding as what she actually seemed to be doing. If Joe was right, and the travel was in an instant, then it was only her mind that was spending all this time doing the navigating. That was something to discuss later, when they were back in the real world.

The threads were fascinating, too. She seemed to be able to "pull" along them, like... like a water-skiier uses a tow rope, but the threads didn't actually move. To look at them, they were markers, traceries of her future paths through time, illustrations of what her time-sense perceived, as interpreted by her visual cortex in her brain. Yet she was also able to make use of them to navigate, to help propel herself. They served double-duty, and possibly triple. It was all in her perceptions, anyway -- there weren't actual lines or cables or even a time-surface, if the hints Joe had given her were accurate. It was all how she was able to visualize it. So if she could visualize the threads doing what they were already doing, maybe she could visualize them doing anything she wanted, as long as... as long as the metaphor fit, as long as the visualization could come up with a way to conform to what she was trying to do. She had done it already, "reaching out" without actual hands to tug on the strings, even perceiving herself as touching things with her fingers, and it had worked, it had felt real. She'd even forgotten for a moment that she was somehow towing Joe and their prisoner through this, but they weren't perceptible unless she thought about it, and then she knew they were along, but she wouldn't have been able to explain how she knew. Very confusing. But thrilling, at the same time.

She was moving "upstream," which in the metaphor meant farther back into the past. There were very few dips of threads into the "surface" up ahead; most seemed to stretch uninterrupted off into the distance. But a few seemed to dunk in. One was coming up, actually, along the line she'd pulled, the one she thought she might have been guided to; if she understood the metaphor, of the several things she could get from these threads, it meant that she was coming up on a place where she had visited the past... or rather, where she would, at some point in her personal future. She'd visited, lived a while in the regular timestream, and then popped out again, heading forward through time. If it was a quick visit, it might be good practice to drop into the timestream just after her future self left. Surely Joe wouldn't object to a bit of practice like that; she was going to have to learn how to do that, anyway, one of these days. Besides, if she had really been guided, somehow, to pull on this thread, then perhaps she was meant to experiment here? That was assuming it wasn't just random, that the reaction she'd perceived when she "touched" the thread wasn't just what happened when one touched any old thread. Regardless, the decision point was coming up.

Jumping to quickly, Athena had misjudged at the last possible second and pulled themselves out too fast into a different time. A bloody scene plaed out before her. Bodies of what she thought were people lay only feet ahead of her. pools of blood and the rank of death spilled to her nose as the air flowed around her. it was hot and humid as her eyes scanned around.

Plants and wildlife that she had never seen before were visible as shouts of unaudable pleas screeched. Athena had never seen something so horrid before. Her eyes opened wide as she felt bile rising from her stomach. Eyes watering as she realised her mistake and her fear started to rise. The fact that she had misjudged the jump and came out in the wrong time to witness something like this was no small matter. What was she suppose to do now.

Joe stepped forward from just behind her, the prisoner still slung over his shoulder. "What... where are we? 'Thena?" He looked around, taking in the scene, and his combat subroutines popped up. His nerves sharpened, his muscles pumped into readiness, and his sensory web settled into his lower consciousness. He was aware of the topography of the surrounding hundred-meter radius, every movement and sound within that range was highlighted and targeted, all but Athena herself.

"Athena," he said in a low and intense voice, "I need you to focus. You dropped back into the world before you got all the way back, didn't you? It's okay, you're not in trouble, but we have to go now." He could sense the moving bodies of combatants, all around them. Those being slaughtered, those doing the slaughtering. From the profiles of the weapons, he could handle them, but numbers might be an issue, and Athena wasn't ready for that sort of thing yet, anyway. "Athena, I need you to take us back. Take us back into the timestream. Just close your eyes, ignore your senses. I've got you safe, nobody can hurt you; you just need to focus and take us back. You can do it, Athena. Please do."

Joe's voice sounded worried. Concern for her was laced with fear that she had somehow dropped them into a place they were not suppose to be at. Her eyes rippled with fear. As if pain was gripping her senses and lacing her skin with acid. She wanted to run and hide under her bed like a small child. It couldn't be real. What she was seeing could not be real!

However, at Joe's gentle prodding, she knew it was. The sight and metalic smell of blood was real. Just as the stinging pain that clutched at her stomach. begging her to run and retch the contents that lay there. How could she be of any use? Yes, she had fought back at the water, but her fears had been calmed and they didn't seem as real as this did. How was it different now?

"No... I.. I-I-.." Her voice quivered with some fear as bile started to rise and fill her mouth. Athena forced herself to swallow it as tears stung her eyes. Joe said she was safe. All she had to do was close her eyes and the images would go away.

However, they seemed to magnify when she did as he told her. Her mind screamed them out. Playing them like a the reel of a movie and making them worse into creatures only seen in movies and books. Athena felt her body tremble and fought the urge to run. Knowing if she did, it could kill them all and she would be trapped here. Bringing out her power, Athena calmed slowly, and took them back the quick jump. Though, shaky, it pushed them with power as they came out to the time they were suppose to. A quick drop as they seemed to be pushed out in a scattered direction. Thankfully, as she opened her eyes, there was no battle. No gore or bodies. They had arrived and only now did she allow herself to weep and shake as the fear of what had happened took it's tole on the young women.

The lines all stretched back upstream, all the way up, until they all converged on one single point, one place and time. There appeared to be a knot of interwoven timelines there, all almost overwriting each other, and she could feel the presence of... something. It wasn't like anything she'd felt before, but it also felt achingly familiar. She noticed this, even in the midst of her residual fear and sickness.

She pushed back until she found a spot that felt right. A quick drop as they seemed to be pushed out in a scattered direction. Thankfully, as she opened her eyes, there was no battle. No gore or bodies. They had arrived and only now did she allow herself to weep and shake as the fear of what had happened took it's toll on the young woman.

She heard Joe speaking softly with someone, and felt gentle hands on her, stroking her back. A mature black woman in a trim pantsuit, a little bit oddly cut but otherwise normal-looking, knelt beside her, making soothing noises. "It's all right, Athena," she cooed softly. "You're safe now. Welcome to Base One."

Joe knelt on the other side. "When you're ready, let's get you off that concrete and into a chair. The arrival area isn't usually for hanging out in. But... when you're ready."

Someone else came to one knee in front of her. It wasn't until she raised her eyes that she looked into the mirror. No, not a mirror: her future self's face. Other-Athena, looking exactly the same, smiled gently. "You will find out what happened there. But it's more important right now to know that you are safe, and, if I remember right, you're feeling hungry, aren't you, under that terror?" Athena-2 smiled wider. "Trust me, you'll love the food here."

Athena blinked. Her face white paled and body shaking. Not even caring fdor a moment as she stared into the face of the black women. The images were still there playing in the back of her mind. Playing like the reel of a movie that wouldn't stop and all she wanted was to bash her head in.

B-Base One?

Looking up she saw her own self, and nearly screamed, if it wasn't for Joe who kept her last nerve on end. Athena-2 seemed to understand and didn't seem to stay as she stood and walked back over to another man. Joe-2 who smiled wide and looked to her with a look of understanding. His eyes went to her Joe and gave him a wink as if he was giving him a tell sign of a secret of her even she didn't understand.

Not really wanting to know she stood and leaned on Joe. Just wanting to get the images to stop as they were lead away into a building. She was in fact hungry, but didn't want to admit it. Her eyes though, told the answer amongst the fear that she had wittnessed.

Joe helped her stand, and nodded toward the black woman. “This is Elsbeth. She’s kind of the administrator here. And, of course you know these two.” He still held the prisoner over his shoulder, but as he encouraged her to step forward, he nodded to Joe-2, who stepped over and took the unconscious man from him. “Says he’s Jihadi. Had a bomb set up…” Joe gave the lowdown of their adventure in just a few short sentences, and Joe-2 took the man away.

“Come on,” he said quietly. “Doing something normal will help, and getting some protein will help. Either way, having a meal is a good idea.”

He helped her into the hallway, which reminded her of some kind of space station, like from Star Wars or Deep Space Nine. Athena-2 accompanied them, leading the way and opening the doors. She smiled back at Athena (or perhaps Athena-1?) as they moved.

“Base One is at the beginning of our planet; we built it just as soon as it became habitable. The other base is Base Infinity, which orbits the Big Crunch at the heat-death of the universe. That’s a longer ride, but at least it’s downstream.” Athena-2 appeared perfectly comfortable with the bizarreness of talking to her past self.

As if she knew what she was thinking (and given the situation, she probably did), Athena-2 said cheerily, “You’ll meet yourself pretty regularly. The bases have a tachyon dispersal generator, in part to space us out with some vague randomness, and also to minorly randomize our conversations. It’s complicated, but in effect, it keeps us from having to simply remember our exact words of each conversation. We’ll always remember the information we get from each other, that part is a constant, but the words, the expression of that information, that’s entirely up to us each time through. You’ve already done different things now than I remember doing when I came through the first time, but even still, I remember getting pretty much this explanation, which got wrapped up just about the time we got to the mess.”

Athena-2 looked up, and nodded to the door they were approaching. “And here we are.”

She touched the door controls, and the broad door slid open. Inside was a comfortable group meal room, and around one of the long tables were people. Six people Athena didn’t know, another version of Elsbeth, and an Athena-3 and Joe-3. All of them turned and smiled at her when she came to the door.

“Welcome to the mess hall!” Athena-3 called. Don’t worry, you’ll get to like the place. Please, we’ve saved some seats for you!”

You have to be kidding me...

"How many of me - us- are there?" Athena asked. Nearly falling over as she looked for Joe. her Joe. Things were still confusing as ever as she walked steadly over towards the other copies of herself. If there were so many of herself wouldn't there be some kind of time explosion?

Yet, it hadn't happened so far. "I still don't really understand... but ok.." Walking over to take a seat as she kept her head slightly down and waited to see what would happen next . What she wanted was answers and even more so, answers to what she had seen and to why it had freaked her out so bad.

“Technically,” Joe said softly, “there’s only one of you. It’s just that your future-selves happen to overlap here. There’s some randomization, due to the tachyon thing she mentioned before, but it’s the Base; there’s always going to be a number of versions of any of us here at the same time. Just roll with it; eventually, you’ll be living this scene through their eyes. And they’ll be thinking back to how they felt when they walked through that door.”

“That’s right,” said Athena-3. “Every one of us here remembers what it was like to meet ourselves for the first time. So just relax. And… order. We’ve got just about anything you can ask for: anything you want, just say it.”

Elsbeth-2 nodded. “At this point, you just have to relax. Base One is a safe point; you’re in no danger here, and you can stay as long as you like. In fact, since it’s your first time here, you can take this opportunity to learn more about yourself and get yourself geared up.”

All the Joes at the table pumped their fists and said “Geared up!” in an exaggerated testosterone-heavy tone, with a wide grin.

Rolling her eyes to what the Joe's did, she nodded and drew her attention to ordering something that sounded tasty. Everyone seemed to have something different and Athena knew that it was her own self that was eating whatever it was on those plates. Yet she had no appatite for the strange food (yet) and knew that her future selfs had aquired them on whatever missions.

I guess this means I will get use this at some point. But I just can't get what I saw out of my head..

Looking over she nodded to her Joe and pushed a finger to a basic burger and fries. A coke and a side salad was also ordered as she was shown to press a menu in front of her. It amazed her as in minutes everything was produced and she poked a fork into her salad and tasted the crunchy leaves. Her stomach growled and she forgot for a moment about everything else and concentrated on eating.

They all ate, and in deference to her unwillingness to speak, they started to chat amongst themselves. It was the usual sort of talk amongst people who knew each other well, talking about old stories or something they saw, some image or scene, or telling jokes to each other. It was a shot of normality, despite the bizarre setting and the fact that two of these people were herself. It was something of what she needed, a touch of the mundane after the experience she had just had.

Joe leaned in toward her, eating a fork-full of his own salad. "First thing we ought to do when you're feeling better, we ought to get you checked out. Make sure my anti-infectants are installed properly. Maybe start getting you kitted out with the equipment you're going to need. Get you the Evergreen treatment, all that sort of thing." He nodded. "You're going to need all of that. But we can take it at your leisure; this is where we can take our time."

Finishing what she had in her mouth, she turned and looked to Joe. It never occoured to her that she would need to be fitted with anything special. That she would just be, well, her as Joe had all the high tech gear.

"I didn't think I would need anything like that." Athena admitted to him as she poked at the rest of her food.

Now she was not really hungry enough to finish what was left as she pushed the tray away. No one else seemed to mind. If they had time here, they she could deal with that.

"Might as go now. I don't feel like finishing this stuff."

"As you wish," Joe said. He left his food on the table, as well, standing abruptly, but smiling. "Let's go to the infirmary. Are you feeling better? Good enough to walk?"

The infirmary looked very sleek and futuristic, very high tech. And the doctor looked very futuristic and high tech, as well... and only slightly flickery. "Oh, hello!" she said, looking just like Beverly Crusher, the doctor from Star Trek: TNG. "You're Athena, welcome! I can see from your atomic resonance that this is your first visit here. How are you enjoying it so far?" She gestured to the examination bed, which smoothly altered form to resemble a comfortable recliner. "Please, have a seat." She glanced over at Athena's companion. "Hi, Joe. How's the implants? Everything working OK?"

"Just fine, Doc," he nodded. "Need a recharge, but I can take care of that myself."

"Good, good." The doctor turned her attention back to Athena. "So, Athena... what can I do to help your experience here be more comfortable?"

Her easy going attitude was a shocker and yet Athena couldn't see how easy everyone was with each other. So calm and collective and yet, she was feeling shy. It was all new and strange, The room with it's strange beeping sounds and the way it had a smell. Almost like a new car kind of smell, but not as she walked the few steps to sit in the chair.

"I, uh.."

Flashing her eyes over to Joe as if saying ' Help Me '. Although, she felt slightly silly and in some kind of sci-fi movie.

"Really, I don't know." Her face almost looking pale as the women looked to joe for an answer.

"What happened?"

Joe stood close to Athena and put a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Well, it’s her first time at Base One, and on our way here, we stopped off… it was a scene of a slaughter.”

“Ah,” the doctor sighed and gave an understanding nod. She turned to look at Athena in the chair. “You’re in emotional shock, both at what you witnessed and at the sudden changes you’re going through. Every newcomer has a similar reaction. I’m going to give you a little something to take the edge off. It won’t affect your thinking, but it will make it easier to relax, help you deal with the jitters that come with such a thing.”

The doctor didn’t move, but there was a slight pressure against the back of Athena’s right shoulder as part of the chair pushed against her. She didn’t feel any pain or sting or anything, but a coolness washed across her thoughts, a calming sensation that did… pretty much exactly what the doctor had promised.

“All right,” the doctor said in a calming voice, smiling gently. “You’ve got some adjustments to make, both to what you witnessed and to this new life of yours. I do have some therapeutic subroutines I could use, but I think there are other people who can help you with that. What I’m mostly concerned about is your physical well-being and your preparedness for your new job.”

She stepped over to a large screen that slid down from the ceiling. It lit up with a diagram of a human body and a number of informative read-outs: temperature, pulse rate, brain wave functions, etc. “I can see that you’ve already had a basic regimen of anti-infectants, and a preliminary memory booster. I would like to offer you the basic time-traveler package.”

“We would reinforce the memory booster and set you up with a full course of immunity meds, of course, and we have translator microbes that can allow comprehension of any verbal and some other forms of language, and greatly increase your ability to reproduce same. We can set up a radiotelepathy net, which will also allow you to interface mentally with any appropriate gear.”

She paused, and shook her head. “In short, you’ll be proof against all diseases and viruses, most poisons and medicines that will rob you of consciousness, but you’ll be able to suppress it, if necessary. You’ll continue to have perfect recall, with some additional consciousness benefits. You’ll be able to understand and quickly speak just about any language. You’ll be able to communicate with Joe or any other similarly-equipped person just by thinking of it: sort of brain-to-brain walkie-talkies, and you’ll be able to operate most of your mission gear just by thinking about it. You can also get readouts and such in your field of vision, like a built-in heads-up display. Once you have that, you’ll be able to update your mental systems by changing what equipment you’re carrying. It’ll really increase your capabilities.”

“And,” she held up a finger, “it’s all minimally-invasive, and it doesn’t interfere with anything in your brain. It’s all one-hundred-percent compatible with the time-travel abilities.” She smiled. “It’s been completely proven and tested, from here to the year two hundred thousand, and beyond.” She winks. “So you have nothing to worry about, if you accept.”

Joe squeezed her shoulder. “She requires patient consent for this sort of thing. It’s hard-wired into her program. So she needs you to say that you accept.”

Back
Top Bottom