Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Quix's Random Bullshit Thread (Comments Welcome)

Malicious Lullaby said:
Oh...

Well then :) but still! Jamie Dornan is totally doing him justice!! And he will do even better to truly embody Christian grey in the second movie because shit gets darker! :D

Totally agree, and if he doesn't win an Oscar the second time around, no matter how original, and intellectually stimulating, the concept of how a woman's life can never be truly complete until a male takes control of it, is, I'm going to boycott writing any more Shades of Grey inspired roleplays, in protest. :)

And of course, making that above comment led to some more googling, and found this article which articulates exactly what I despise, and find so pathetic, in regard to the plethora of Anatasia Steele type characters, unable to assume responsibility for their own sexuality, I'm approached with on here:

50 Shades of Grey: Female Sexuality, Control and Gender Archetypes.[/color]]

Original article here:

"The popular blockbuster that globally captured the hearts and libidos of many is sort of messed up…and it has nothing to do with its on the surface sexual and bondage narrative.

Sure there’s sex and ropes and spanking in 50 Shades of Grey, which would be risque if all you know about sex is lights-off missionary. And you can find many thought pieces on how it’s about female power fantasy, the celebration of female sexuality, childhood abuse, etc, etc. But outside of very, very mild BDSM and the cliche “powerful man, innocent young woman” story that years of cinema have actualized, it’s really nothing different than what’s graced our film over the years when it comes to portraying human sexuality and gender roles. The soundtrack does help get your blood flowing though, so I’ll give it that.

Its underlying popularity among a female fan-base is undoubtedly speaking to the fact that either A). women are extremely horny B). women are largely undersexed and in pursuit of the elusive orgasm C). both.

But a core issue and message that we might have missed among all the steamy promotion that hasn’t seem to have been talked about yet is that 50 Shades of Grey frames female sexuality as something a man gives her verses something she pursues herself while continuing to push traditional gender roles in the context of a heterosexual relationship.

Broad Translation: It’s a man’s world even when it comes to your vagina, ladies.

The movie wastes no time setting this up, showing a very frumpy dressed young Anastasia, ponytail and bangs included, walking into the powerful office of Mr. Grey where he stands overlooking the Seattle skyline for her scheduled interview. She’s very flustered and noticeably turned on — cheeks blushing, heavy breathing — and the next couple of minutes sets up what is to be their future relationship. After the interview, in some very debatable clever script writing, we get to see her partake in what perhaps is her first on-screen orgasm as she steps outside, tilting her head to the sky and opening her mouth to take in the outside pouring rain; Mr. Grey just figuratively made it rain y’all.

A thesis could be written around that scene, and I’m not going to get my panties in a knot over it outside of too-quick character development, the proverbial premature ejaculation when it comes to story development. Anastasia Steele and Christian Grey are literary robots, representing every stereotype you might be able to think of when it comes to gender roles: innocent, young woman; wealthy white (emphasis on white) male; abused, now emotionally inept man; broken home daughter…

That’s all fine and dandy. Childhood sucks. Pheromones exist. Power and nice suits are attractive. Sometimes we just want to be saved.

What I don’t like is the moment where we learn about Mr. Grey’s “singular tastes” — i.e. he likes some freaky shit, and it is revealed that our pretty little heroine is a virgin.

Eye roll.

This, of course, is no shock. You can’t effectively dominate what has already been dominated. And you can’t open a woman’s eyes to her sexuality, which is Christian’s core role as a powerful, sexualized man, if she’s already done it herself.

Mr. Grey’s response is immediate. “Well, we need to fix that,” he says, scooping Anastasia up and thrusting a contemporary Rhet Butler on her. Here, certain groups might be inclined to say that Anastatia didn’t consent and therefore, it’s rape. I’ll save that argument for a different debate and posit that it is exactly what Anastatia wants, having realized once she tilted her head to that sky in an earlier scene and let the rain fall in her mouth, that she’s a sexual creature and Mr. Grey is the man she has chosen to satisfy that urge.

The archetypes narrative get better. Once Christian has effectively sexualized Anastasia, which we see in her hungry want to have her wrists bound again in a very amateur bedroom scene (it involves a tie so don’t get all silly here), he introduces her to his contract. Instead of immediately saying yes, she sits on it, making the “used-to-getting-what-he-wants-when-he-wants it” Grey very impatient. This shift from clumsy, ponytail wearing, “What’s that tie for??” Anastasia Steele to, “I’m going to make a billionaire sweat,” is quite interesting. Where it’s not in Anastasia’s moral construct to dominate sexually, it’s in her construct to dominate mentally and emotionally.

Once, she finally agrees to go over the contract with Christian boardroom style in what is arguably the best scene of the movie, this time her dress has changed from frumpy school-girl to power-house business. This directorial choice (a woman I’ll add) is making a clear statement here: where Anastatia was once a sexual submissive, now she is the sexual dominator.

And her domination of Christian climaxes as she turns Mr. Grey into Mr. Blue when she leads him to the point of excitement yet doesn’t deliver at his invitation to commence the contract that night. “Right here on this table,” she purrs seductively, a close-up of lip biting that at this point has become Christian’s metaphorical handicap — he gets all SWV weak in the knees when he sees it, and the director makes sure we all know it. (Annnnd cue close-up of biting lip now pan to hot and heavy Grey. Repeat every 10 minutes.)

But then, right on the cusp of character evolution and self-actualization of Anastasia that we are all rooting for, the story shifts. Anastasia’s character is written back into a trope of submission and the “I just want to love you/let me in” role and the rest of the story turns into a pull and tug of a relationship that eventually falls apart on the crescendo of a punishment scene solicited by Anastasia so she can fully see just how screwed up her boyfriend is. (I’ll add that Anastatia never signed the contract so her character could still have become a domme if only we would allow it to be. But that would fall outside of our understanding of a likeable heroine. Because, in the end, we all want it to be about love, which is what Anastasia represents.)

I’m not shocked that the world responded how they did, finding intrigue in a character that wanted to be dominated, wanted to be pushed to boundaries, taught even. A man takes our virginity. A man shows us our orgasm. A man allows us to explore our sexuality even when we may be ashamed of it. So the way to uncovering our sexuality has been traditionally at the hands of the male if it’s a heterosexual relationship. Yes, there are many counters to that above statement, but the appearance of this theme in cultural symbols like our film and “literature” only stands to remind us that they still exist.

What it doesn’t teach us about sex, 50 Shades of Grey does teach us that we have a hard time culturally letting go of our prescribed definition of gender roles, especially when it comes to female sexuality. Is this the biology of things and an evolutionary trail that we can’t fight? Do we need our men to sexualize us first? Can a woman be both sinner and saint? Can a man be both sexual beast and emotionally vulnerable?

The answer is yes, and until a blockbuster narrative puts the woman in control of her self-discovery verses relegating her to an either/or sinner or saint archetype, and until we allow our Christian Grey’s to let go of control and represent more than just wealth and power (men have feelings too!), we will have a hard time accepting that both men and women can be dynamic and self-aware enough to occupy and move between both spaces on the gender role spectrum yet still fulfill traditional roles.

But until then, if our men are teaching our women, who’s teaching them?"

Your sarcasm is super thick there xP I love the Christian grey character but I hate the anastasia Steele character. She's so weak. Plus she has no spine and it's not realistic entirely for a womans logic to be completely shrouded all the time by sex and sexual stuff. So...yeah. she's just like every other girl that most authors write about. They try to make her strong but end up failing desperately and the moment the girl meets and falls in love with a guy, she turns into a spineless little lovesick fool who can't do anything on her own anymore without that guy. It's pathetic!

Can a man be both sexual beast and emotionally vulnerable?
This line resonated so hard with me. I have to admit, it's not often done well, but I am extremely lucky to have a handful of partners who can write male characters with both an intense sexual charisma and wide range of emotions. Male characters that prove that masculinity need not derive from misogyny.

Christian Grey falls flat with me because he very much is an emotional toddler in a man's body. It's not cute, it's burdensome. I suppose for a woman looking to embody the social expectations of virginal mother figure (until a man gives you permission to explore your sexuality), a manchild who needs a mommy he can fuck is ideal. I am far more interested in exploring relationship between equal partner, who take responsibility for their own emotions and issues.

Rudolph Quin said:
Hey are you guys ragging on FSOG? You gotta see my fav put forth by Film Theorists: Fifty Shades of Grey Cult Indoctrination Matpat's style takes some getting used to but he's pretty funny. :D

Not so much ragging on Shades of Grey itself, Rudolph, but, at least from my perspective, more the perpetuation of the myth that a woman's awareness of her sexuality (and often sex itself, where much of the terminology used can be construed to mean that it's an act for the man to 'give' and woman to 'receive' ), is a prize to be gifted to her by a male, rather than a responsibility that she should/does/is okay for her to pursue for herself, and that possessing the intellectual ability/agency to do so bears no relationship towards a natural inclination for either Dominance or Submission.

Also, the fact, that in spite of my request threads, I still receive selfish, one-sided, female masturbatory fantasy requests, such as the one below I woke up to this morning:

She's in the car on her way to a conference, but she's travelling through some very secluded and cut off country when her car breaks down. With no phone service, she searches for civilisation, but the only presence is an old, forsaken Victorian house. She goes up and knocks on the door anyway and is surprised when a man answers her. She explains her situation and he lets her inside, seeming like the perfect gentleman, but she doesn't know he intends to keep her locked up inside and seduce her. The predicament awakens the survival instincts she didn't know she had.

He could turn out to be some sort of demon, incubus, warlock, magic user, vampire and so on allowing some creativity and perhaps manipulating the house to his whim or just be human if you're not keen on fantasy. It'd involve unwilling submission/seduction until consent. I'm not overly into rape, especially without foreplay, but forced foreplay, bondage, etc is fine.

where her character possess no agency, and wants nothing more than to be the object of a male's sexual intent. Because, of course, to have any of her own might make her an independently sexual creature, and we couldn't have that. Civilised society, as we know it, would crumble.

However, I always love anything that takes the piss out of 50 Shades of Grey, and it gave me a laugh. It's my type of humour.

Malicious Lullaby said:
Your sarcasm is super thick there xP So...yeah. she's just like every other girl that most authors write about. They try to make her strong but end up failing desperately and the moment the girl meets and falls in love with a guy, she turns into a spineless little lovesick fool who can't do anything on her own anymore without that guy. It's pathetic!

xanaphia said:
Can a man be both sexual beast and emotionally vulnerable? This line resonated so hard with me.
I am far more interested in exploring relationship between equal partner, who take responsibility for their own emotions and issues.

Accusing me of sarcasm, Mali! I'm offended. However, I'll pretend it didn't affect me, because that's what men do, so we aren't viewed as having emotions, thereby being perceived as weak by those with some fucked-up view of what masculinity is, xD

The above is what I love about writing with you guys, and all of my other partners. That you present characters who are the equal of a male, assume responsibility for themselves, and aren't afraid to take independent action. As much as I hate playing against 'submissive' tropes, or those who need a man to make them whole/show them what it is they truly want, I hate being expected to portray one-dimensional males, with no vulnerabilities, weakness, or emotions, which is often the flip-side required of a male character when paired against those tropes.

By portraying the types of characters you do, where individualistic wants and desires yo-yo off each other, it allows me to attempt to invest my own male characters with a greater range, rather than simply making them cardboard cut-out stereotypes. Funnily enough, one of my partners finds my male character, a serial-killer, to boot, in that particular story at his 'sexiest' when he cries, or has tears of emotion in his eyes!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Eh, you're still getting requests against the grain of your RT? That'd be an interesting GD topic, like something along the lines of "How many times do you get messages from people who don't read your RT?" I mean, sure, anybody is entitled to their own fantasies but why set yourself up for failure by not researching a prospective partner and their likes and dislikes? I've never gotten that.

Anyway, yeah, Film Theorists are pretty funny and I like the theories they put forth a lot of times. :p Also because of your tendency to ninja edit and my trigger finger posting style, I made an effort to wait a full 10 minutes before posting a reply.

Thanks for the wait, Rudolph, though I've still been known to edit up to a week later if I notice a typo, or better way to clarify what I meant, xD I pity my poor partners who read a story response directly after it's done, because it's almost guaranteed if they come back an hour later, there'll be at least a couple of slight changes! Though, to be fair to them, I've implemented a rule to not change anything after an hour, except spelling mistakes! That's, of course, unless they haven't been online to read it; then, whether it's been an hour or a week, the rule doesn't apply, xD

I do, and always will, no matter how blunt my threads are, and it would make an interesting GD topic, though I'm pretty sure I know what the responses would be. I've a few partners that say it often happens to them, and seen similar comments from other people. I think it comes down to, in regards to mine, and depending on the individual, either one, or a combination of all, of the following; pure discourtesy and selfishness, lack of comprehension and ability to place certain parts of my requests in context of what else precedes and follows it, and a natural inclination for people to only view as important what meets their preferences, whilst dismissing as non-important that which doesn't.

To not be rude or disrespectful, I may go too far the other way, and won't approach anyone unless I'm absolutely certain that their preferences, as stated on their threads, in their own words, and mine, match, and, being as it's their thread I'm responding to, then think it only courteous that I place displaying my compatibility to what they've requested as the first priority, before subsequently stating anything else of my own.

That means I very rarely approach, as I don't often see what I'm looking for offered, unprompted, however being that way also means that I don't feel too bad about letting people know, in no uncertain terms, when they haven't shown the same courtesy to me.

I'll likely google some more Film Theorists when I get home, xD

See I love the dynamics of Christian Grey but I wish it took one of our kind of female characters to change his ways, not that of a typical, whiny, submissive, weakling of a female lead who really has nothing but her good looks and body to keep him interested. I love Fifty Shades as a love story more than an erotica. I don't particularly like to bash it because I'm a sucker for a damn good love and romance story. But I will admit that I can't actually read the books because the character of Anastasia Steele and reading from her perspective is so painful, it's a direct reflection on the author's inability to actually write something good as it being her career and connections that got that sham of a poorly written book on the best seller's list. That being said, while I love the story, I hate the erotica concept or the bdsm tagine because it really isn't. But because of this, I did find greater snd better authors and stories. So there is a sense of gratitude in that regard. Those are my thoughts. I'm not gonna get into abuse or anything because Quix you already know my answer to that lol. If she gave consent, it's not abuse. XP just saying lol.

And Quix you'd like those books i read:) independent thinkers, spine-ful and so stubborn they drive the men to crazy xP

I'd actually read a few very similar novels, before Shades of Grey became popular; The Story of O, A. N. Roquelaure's (Anne Rice) Sleeping Beauty Trilogy, and Molly Weatherfield's, Carrie Trilogy, the outlines of which are all pretty much identical. Virginal/inexperienced female introduced to BDSM and Submission by older, more experienced males. In fact, the premise of Shades of Grey is so closely aligned to that of the first novel in the Carrie Trilogy that I'm surprised E L James wasn't sued for plagiarism! I looked for some of the books you mentioned, but couldn't find them in the stores here.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On another note, it's Census night in Australia, which every household is legally obliged to complete, and being easily pleased, I was happy to see that the 'No Religion' check-box on the "What religion are you?" question, has been moved from the bottom of multiple options, to the top, - meaning more who don't identify with a religion are likely to select it - as it was the second-highest response in the last census.

It's also amusing to note certain sections of the Christian Lobby running a scare campaign, telling people to "Select Christian, even if you're not, as if you don't, Islam might eventually come out on top, leading to Australia in the future being declared a Muslim Country, and placed under Sharia Law!

According to the Christian ethics action group Salt Shakers, an email is being circulated that asks Australians to avoid the “no religion” option.

“Bear in mind that although many Australians have no religion these days, the Muslim population in Australia will all declare that they are Muslim and this fact will be counted to ascertain what type of country we are in regard to religion,” the email states.

“Even though you may now have no religion, please consider entering the religion you were christened or born into, when answering this question.

“Otherwise in time Australia will officially be declared to be a Muslim country – because the Australian Bureau of Statistics Census will reflect this.”

Yep, sure, since according to the last Census, less than two percent identified as Islamic. However, hopefully we will be declared an Atheist country, and see less funding allocated, and less laws made that impinge on personal freedoms, based on a Myth!

Received a PM yesterday, the title of which was, "You scare me", then went on to detail why. Not negatively, it was actually a story approach, and strangely complimentary, but it's interesting to see how I'm perceived from outside, based on my threads.

Whilst I do tend to be blunt, honest and sarcastic, and won't suffer fools easily, I'm pretty sure that my writing partners, friends, and anyone else who's truly gotten to know me, finds me nothing but easy-going, accommodating, respectful, and likely about as scary and intimidating as a Teddy-bear on Valium. As someone on here once told me, 'the writer is not what they write'.

It occasionally makes me wonder if I should change the tone of my threads to display a more approachable persona. However, it's probably too late for that, and I'd subsequently only be inundated with the types of requests which led to me writing them as I have in the first place. I still receive enough of those now, xD

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Not sure why, but sometimes I just get a craving to re-watch a particular movie, and this one, I'd first seen a couple of years ago, had been on my mind all week, so watched it again last night.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9vBj7MwquU[/video]

As is my wont, it's not exactly a 'happy' film. In fact it's extremely emotionally draining, and possibly the best movie to ever come out of New Zealand (sorry, LOTR fans :) )

Have no idea how well it's known over the other side of the Pacific, as it was released in the 90's, and being NZ made, on a low-budget, doesn't have the production values, or high-class acting, of a Hollywood Blockbuster. However, I think that just adds to its authenticity and rawness.

Definitely recommended for those who like films that emotionally move you, but maybe not watch it if you have plans for later that night. I've known a couple of people who couldn't face the outside world for a few hours, so affected by it, were they. The full movie can be found on you-tube.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm beginning to understand why some people don't display the courtesy to advise when a roleplay isn't working for them, or that they intend to drop it. The sometimes negative reactions received; unnecessarily bitter, uncalled for, and way over-the-top.

I don't like to hurt anyone's feelings, and always drop with courtesy, and as politely and respectfully as possible, however, I'm not going to continue on with a story that isn't working for me, and no, it is not contradictory to think someone to be an excellent writer, whilst simultaneously not being personally engaged by their particular style, or having it mesh with your own. Sometimes that isn't fully evident until you get a few posts in, and realise that you're finding responses extremely difficult to write, or can't muster the enthusiasm to reply.

I'd rather let it go after ten posts, when I'm intuitively certain that it's not going to last long-term, than force myself to continue with half-assed replies, until I eventually reach the stage where I do what's destined to happen anyway. That's not fair for either, and would be knowingly wasting a hell of a lot more of the person's future time and energy than they, in retrospect after a story has been ended, feel has been wasted already, which, while unfortunate and has my sympathy, was in no way intentional.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Because I don't watch many movies, I was just rudely accused of not knowing who Hugh Jackman was, and after also being ridiculed by a 'friend' this morning, for my apparent lack of musical knowledge, I thought I'd prove both wrong, xD!

Hugh Jackman, of course, in his most famed role, portrayed Peter Allen in, The Boy From Oz, including singing the world renowned Aussie Classic, Tenterfield Saddler. What the hell is a Wolverine, anyway?

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ser2-f8GmWc[/video]

And Peter Allen's most famous, enduring, patriotic song.

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zqaCzsCSn90[/video]

I was around when it came up earlier, so, got a look at what you're talking about. Out of the few times someone lost their shit on me for the "breakup speech" I actually had one that complained of me "wasting time" and "ending things too quickly" in the same message. I find this topic endlessly fascinating, not just because of my own experiences of dealing with ending role-plays and the etiquette involved but also in one of my longest running rps being that person that we're talking about right now. Although I achieved clarity and grew out of that selfish mindset, I still find the variety of experiences surrounding role-play relationships, particularly with the question "How to end it?" very intriguing.

Anyway, sorry you had to experience that.

Thanks for that, Rudolph, and whilst I can understand the perception of mixed messages being given, no-one else is in my brain, but me, and can't fully comprehend what led to the final decision, or why, at a particular time I realised I woudn't be able to remain invested long-term. Although I do attempt to articulate is as best, and as courteously, as I can.

I can empathise for being upset, but not being an overly emotional person, I tend to shrug things off quickly, and go, "Oh well, shit happens, move on." I think the number of stories I've had going now for well over year, some closing in on two, is testament to the fact that I don't make the decision lightly, or just for the fun of it.

Malicious Lullaby said:
Oh sure now it's Hugh Jackman...

You know the problems I have with visualisation, and in my defence, the guy in the first video did look a little like Hugh Jackman. Blame Google for returning bad search results :)

And just for you, Mali, because I'd know you'd want to see it! The full image of Pennywise the Clown, for the IT remake, was released today, xD

stephen-kings-it-700x525.jpg

Hit another slow patch with my stories, with quite a few of my partners been pulled away by real life, so with, of course, my mind turning to other things, here's a little more Australiana, xD

This time, some country music, and Simply Bushed with 'The Great Australian Love Song', which displays the lengendary romanticism of Aussie males:

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xQdedyFnFLk[/video]

And, the second, by the same band, but with a much more serious tone, that brings back memories of Dad.

I love this song, and speaking of Dad, my eldest brother was visiting Mum last weekend and, together, they scattered his Ashes in the Ocean. It was fitting, as they'd been estranged many times, but during my Father's final days, he probably spend more time with him than the rest of us, where they came to peace with each other. Not surprisingly, Mum said the stubborn bastard obviously still refused to leave this Earth without a fight, because my sibling had to return to his car for a hammer in order to get the top off of the urn!

[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAo0IXYLENw[/video]

How unbelievably sad. I'm just glad other family members are there for mutual support and that your beloved Uncle lives on in your happy memories.

Nature Girl said:
How unbelievably sad. I'm just glad other family members are there for mutual support and that your beloved Uncle lives on in your happy memories.

Thanks, yes, he didn't have an easy life. I appreciate the kind words, and condolences on your recent loss as well; it's even harder when someone goes so young, and unexpectedly.

Fortunately, Mum was anticipating it, however, it was made that little easier by having her eldest sister, who she's closest to, with her, when they heard the news. Being the youngest of nine, she has a huge family network for support, and happy memories of him will always live on for me, xD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This week will be a nightmare at work; the guy who owns the place decided to reverse a decision he made at the start of the Financial year, which means that I now have to reverse a lot and re-do all of my work from that date up until Friday, and covert it back to the old software application we were using at the time, so OoC (Luckily, I'm up-to-date with story replies, with the exception of one), will be slow. Mostly, deliberately to keep my brain as uncluttered as possible until I figure out exactly where I am with everything, xD. Could be a day or two, or could be all week!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And this thread wouldn't be the same, without a little hyperbolic rant here and there :).

What is with people who approach with a request, and state in their message,

"you can decide whether or not you wish to continue to form plots with me and become my partner however I do wish that a reply is sent from you if you do chose to reject just as a courtesy."

then, when I do reply, civilly, and with interest, offering a couple of my own suggestions, and outlining more of what I'm looking from a plot from my thread they've expressed enthusiasm in, they don't reply! I guess courtesy only works one way?

Also, the word, 'do'. Such a tiny word, but one that carries so much meaning, which very few people seems to understand, especially when combined with the phrase, 'all by herself.'

Do: Perform an action; To achieve or complete.

All by herself: Of her own volition, without influence, stemming from her own desires/wants/motivations.

And finally, directly related to the above, why do so many have no trouble at all telling me what my characters motivations - "he's isolated, a little crazy, and hasn't seen a woman for a while" -, should be, and what intent he should carry in a plot - "so he automatically wants to have sex with her, and sets out make that happen by attempting to seduce her from the very moment she knocks on his cabin door" - but then either feign ignorance or react as if I'd just shot Bambi's mother, when I ask about the intent and motivations of their character.

If it's so easy to provide them for my mine, surely, if you're truly looking for a collaboration, rather than me to simply fulfill masturbatory fantasies, you can come up with some for your own? Or is a female character possessing independent motives, and taking on a proactive role in the story, somehow confused with her being viewed as 'dominant,' when in fact, it just makes her a rounded human being? How dare I request for in return what's, not even been asked for, but is unfailingly expected of my characters; no wonder I become frustrated at the never-ending series of one-dimensional tropes on display!

You know what, in my struggles to find compatible writing partners, I'm beginning to realise just how much Walt Disney has to answer for!

educ-1172-stereotypes-in-disney-4-638.jpg

Work's settled down, so my brain's mostly back to its normal, abnormal self, and, as my stories are going through a slow period, with over half my partners caught up with real-life, did the unthinkable yesterday, and returned to the dark-side! Meaning I bumped my thread on E after a year, so we'll see how that goes. I'm still unsure if I can get fully invested in writing on there.

I've always detested Disney, even as a child. I didn't relate to those simpering, vomit-inducing, cutesy characters at all. As well as the glaring examples of a particular physical beauty being a prerequisite to happiness, those films seem hell-bent on promoting the notion of the myth of women's need for male 'rescue'. Hideous! Ban them all! ;)

Nature Girl said:
I've always detested Disney, even as a child. I didn't relate to those simpering, vomit-inducing, cutesy characters at all. As well as the glaring examples of a particular physical beauty being a prerequisite to happiness, those films seem hell-bent on promoting the notion of the myth of women's need for male 'rescue'. Hideous! Ban them all! ;)

So have I. I'm not sure if it was how I was raised, where self-reliance, autonomy, personal responsibility and independence of thought was expected and encouraged by both Mum and Dad, or whether it's just ingrained in me, but I've forever had a visceral reaction and hatred of the perpetuation of the 'Damsel in distress' or 'woman not being fully whole without a man to make her happy' myth. I totally agree, let's ban them and get some better role models out there. Such as Anastasia Steele!

By the way, was going to post my own thumbs up for your appreciation of Tim Minchin on your journal, but hesitated, as wasn't certain if comments were okay.

However, now you've given me have an excuse to post more of him myself! The first, I was going to wait until December.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fCNvZqpa-7Q[/video]

And, the second, well a song that has a special place in my principled heart, that due to our particular anti-authoritarianism culture and disregard of status, could possibly only be released in Australia, and appropriate to my current story with Xana. I won't relate the background, but if it's not obvious from the lyrics, it can easily be found via google. Amazingly, it was written and performed in one day.
[video=youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EtHOmforqxk[/video]

Anastasia Steele! The irony of such a moniker! I never even read the back of the book. Saw the blanket advertising hype and knew it'd make me roar with a peculiar mix of rage and laughter. But the public gets what the public wants.....

Ah the one and only, totally original, Tim Minchin. I switched the tv on one night years ago and was treated to a couple of hours of his live show for the very first time. I was totally stunned at how he can ooze humour and pathos without ever being cheap or cynically manipulative, likely due to his utter sincerity. He's a rare gem and definitely a one off. (i do need to make it clear comments are fine in my journal, by the way.). His talent is matched only by his bravery. That night he sang 'Ten Foot Cock and a Few Hundred Virgins' and though I was pissing myself laughing, I couldn't help thinking 'oooooh....that guy's got a fatwa coming'. The expressions on the audience's faces seemed to reflect the same concern. Am so glad he's alive in the world and, between tours and must-act causes, drinking white wine in the sun.

I'd be interested to know if that was intended by the author. Somehow, I think not.

He is, I had an affinity for him from the very beginning, not just because I agree with the sentiments he expresses, and his outspokenness, but the humorous and sarcastic way in which he does it. He's not afraid to target whoever/whatever he thinks is deserving, and Ten Foot Cock and a Few Hundred Virgins had me in stitches as well. I also love the gasps you hear from the audience during some of his live routines, where they're like, "Did he just really fucking dare say that?" xD

And then, of course, there's 'The Pope Song', which a lot of people are too busy taking offence at to miss the actual message he's trying to send, the irony of it being that very thing is one of the messages he's trying to send

I reckon the author was too cynical to bother with irony, myself. :mad:

The Pope song lol. Don't folk just love finding something to get riled up about? It makes their lives meaningful in the saddest way imaginable. If they're too stupid to get it and prefer to combine said stupidity with their seemingly natural prejudice, then let them get on with it. The rare Tim Minchin diamonds of the world still chip away at them somehow, while the rest of us can glory in laughing along with a stupendous talent. :)

Back
Top Bottom