Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Rise of Darkness (Alvis & Malicious Lullaby)

Ewyn huffed softly before pushing herself to stand, her dress and her entire body dripping. But she felt heightened. Magic water indeed. She crossed her arms over her chest and listened to the exchange between the watery creature, she learning to be a Water Weird, and Master Gall. Her eyebrow rose when she was offered to ask a question. What did that mean? Turning to Master Gall, she looked confused. “I-I don’t understand. Neither do I know what I could possibly ask her. How would she know?” She whispered though. She wasn’t trying to disrespect the Water Weird. No, she just didn’t understand. Some things weren’t always recorded in texts and if they were, well she hadn’t gotten to them. There were thousands of tomes and scroll. Not enough time to get to them all either.

Yoristan nodded. Elemental Weirds weren't common study material for students, unless they made it into the advanced levels of Divination classes, which were few and far between.
"She's a seer Ewyn. Probably one of the greatest in the region." The Water Weird didn't speak, but inclined her head, acknowledging his words. "She's also one of the most powerful wielders of magic int he area outside of myself..." He paused, thinking, and looking at her. "...and I'm not convinced I'm stronger than her. Just maybe more specialized in combat magic. So...she can work some of the biggest and most powerful spells of learning and give us some of the information. And she's offered us both three questions. But if I understnad her correctly, we don't need to use them all right now. We can save them for later."
"You speak truly and with knowledge of my kind. I stand gratified Yoristan Gall. For such, I swear to answer as clearly as I am able." The Weird offered.

Ewyn blinked her eyes a couple of times before glancing back at the Water Weird. Directing her attention back to Master Gall as he explained, she nodded her head slowly, as understanding slowly sank into her. “She’s knowledgeable. So if I am understanding correctly, she already knows what’s been going on with the lands, with the darkness looming over?” She asked him. “W-Would she know about the Academy? About my father?” If that was able to be answered for her, she could relax immensely, as far as possible of course considering things. Enough to at least focus on the task at hand. Surviving and getting to their destination. She didn’t want to be a hindrance to Master Gall because she was worrying so much, having difficulty coping with a lot of the internal and mental pain. It was more exhausting than when she was learning how to channel and detonate her shield.

The Weird didn't wait for a formal question. Yoristan was once again glad that this wasn't a Fae, that it could be properly bargained and dealt with.
"Your father makes an interesting question. But as you speak of the Academy, I will venture you mean Donar Vadderung, tha mage who adopted and laid the groundwork of your training. He is well. Concerned, as the Banefire signature worries him, but he trusts in both you and your teacher to remain safe. This force that pursues you neither knows of a way to reach out to him, nor targets him. He will remain safe from this threat. Rest easy Ewyn Conal." As she spoke, she raised a hand, and disc of water rose, forming a perfect circle. the reflective surface showed an image of Ewyn's father working at one of his tables, looking as though he was assembling a spell of some kind. Knowing him, it was likely something to help him get a bead on where Ewyn was currently, and whether she was okay.

As the Weird turned to Yoristan, he paused.
"Does the action that I am undertaking have a chance of working? Or is my debt from Sycorax not enough?" He asked.
"Where there is life, there is hope Yoristan Gall. You have many friends who will aid you. Trust in yourself, as you have done for so many years. Do not lose your way. depair is the greatest fo that you might face in the coming days. Hold that at bay Yoristan Gall. Your courage will be your ally in the days to come." The Weird told him before looking back at Ewyn.

Ewyn turned her attention immediately to the Weird when she began to speak of her father. She almost stepped forward towards her, eager and hungry for the information she could supply. She heard good news of it though and even when the Weird was able to show her an actual moving picture of her father, something to physically see and seek further truth and proof from, her eyes watered up just a touch. Just the relief in knowing he was okay, that the entire was Academy was okay and that they weren’t the primary targets was incredibly overwhelming, enough to bring on tears. That and with everything that was going on, so much death and darkness all around them, this was the first good news she had received that day. She discreetly wiped her eyes and smiled softly. She missed him so much, wished she could see him and speak to him. Coming to live with Master Gall and train under him was her first time being away from home, away from her father. She had been home sick since the day she got there but she was serving a greater purpose and that’s what pushed her on.

Gently, she bowed in gratitude to the Weird. “Thank you.” She spoke softly, officially and finally showing her respect. That and eternal gratitude.

As the Weird answered Master Gall’s question, it got Ewyn thinking. Something about the answer that she had given to her. This…dark force was targeting and for a reason. She wanted to know who was it targeting, why was it targeting them and for what greater purpose? The answer would seem obvious which is why she wasn’t going to ask but it would make things a lot clearer. But something told her that this was something she could easily ask Master Gall. The man seemed to know of their enemies enough. But that was for another time.

Glancing to the Weird, Ewyn bowed her head again. “I have so many more questions but I believe I will save them for another time, another purpose. You’ve given me great hope and great relief in telling me about my father and the academy and for that, I thank you and am forever grateful.”

Yoristan nodded, impressed that Ewyn had held back her questions. That was a smart move really. Two questions to a Water Weird was not a idle thing to have, it was a powerful resource. Ewyn was making a connection in the magical world now. It was one of the first steps into calling oneself a proper mage. Assuming that they survived this... Yoristan pushed the thouts away, remembering what the Weird had told him. When they survived this, the answer from a Water Weird would be incredibly valuable to her in the future. If she was fortunate, she might be able to make other connections that she could carry with her into her life. And he might be able to renew some of them for himself. The Weird turned to look at Yoristan.

"How does Vannareth have a Dark Mage?" Yoristan asked.
"The man who wields true Dark power comes to him as a partner, an equal. Such powers that are made available to him are nearly without equal in this world. And from Vannareth he seeks the path to immortality. Such power burns at a cost. His life is limited by the power he extends. Should he be shown trhe way to lichedom, he will have no further need of Vannareth. And he shal be a greater threat than the necromancer ever could." The Weird spoke solemnly, making sure that he knew how important this was. Yoristan nodded.
"My thanks Lady. I will return to you when I require another answer."
"And I shal be waiting for you." She sank into the pool, which went still as glass once more. Yoristan nodded, and then smirked, looking at Ewyn.
"Well, you took your time drawing the water." His smile and tone made it very clear he was teasing her. "Let's get back inside, and we'll see what we can find for dinner." He waved for her to ofllow, and head towards the cottage.

It was hard to withhold her questions. Especially knowing she only had two left and she had about a million more she wanted to ask. But if they got out of this, when they did, she was going to get some real answers to things she always wanted to know. Now wasn’t the time. Now, she just wanted to concentrate on the present task at hand; surviving. And surviving with Master Gall.

She turned her attention back to the Water Weird and listened as she answered Master Gall’s question. It made her nervous. This Dark Mage was powerful, could be even more powerful enough to use Vannareth for what it wanted and then dispose of him because he would be too powerful. If he became too powerful, would she, Master Gall and any of all who they got to support their aid and cause, be enough? She wondered now that their chances of survival were a big ‘if’ and not so much a big ‘when.’ It was something she wasn’t going to think about and as the Water Weird took her leave, Ewyn bowed once more and then turned to her teacher. He knew how to liven up a mood because her cheeks flamed a bit at his jest towards her.

“It was just so…good. And I was apparently thirsty. What do you expect? You send a thirsty girl out for water, she’ll drink her fill.” She gave him an incredulous look that screamed ‘Obviously!’ before taking the pitcher and going back to the glass cottage with him. The thought of dinner made her stomach growl. She was hungry too and couldn’t think of when she last ate. It felt like it had been days since everything began. Months even. Time went by so fast but it was all still that current day. The day she stepped out for fresh air, to feel the soft, cool green grass between her toes, the days the gray clouds got darker and closer and the day she lost Faryn. All packed into one event that was slowly catching up to her.

She was terrified to rest. She was terrified to stop doing something to keep herself busy and occupied. She was terrified of what she would start thinking and all by herself, free from the chaos long enough to feel. “Anything I can help do? Start a fire? Produce something edible out of magic. I’ve been working on that, by the way. Although the fruits come out rotten.” She frowned. “But I can still be of great help.”

"Well, you were drinking water from another world. That pool links the Weird back to her home plane of existance. There's nothing there really besides water, adn creatures made of it. So it's the very purest water you'll ever find." Yoristan explained. There was that feel of teaching in his words. Being on the run didn't mean that Ewyn couldn't learn some additional things. Maybe this field experience would be good for her in a way? Still, he could think of a lot better ways to give someone field experience than to subject them to the attack that they'd worked through.

Her request made perfect sense, after all, she ahd a lot on her mind. The chance to focus on something else, well, that was understandable. Proper really.
"Rotten fruit you say? That's because you haven't made the appropriate natural connection." He paused, then nodded. "All right Ewyn, time for some magical theory. Pull up a chair, and try to remember this." Yoristan raised a hand, and a small shimmering field appeared, looking like a chalkboard. He waved a hand at it, and words started to sketch onto them, along with a few diagrams. "The magic we wield is called Arcane Magic. It is used to create certain things. Like illusions, golems, beings of pure magic. To create living things, like fruit, you need to establish a connection. If you want to summon apples, you need to make a connection with an apple tree. A raspberry bush for raspberries, and so on. Until then, the Arcane magicks can't get the fruit right. So." He opened a cabinet, and withdrew a thickly layered sandwich, stacked with meat, cheese and between pieces of dark rye bread. He set it in front of Ewyn. "Eat up. And then we'll go find you some fruit trees or bushes for you to bond with."

Her eyes widened. “Should I not have drank her water then? I didn’t mean any disrespect. I didn’t know. I just figured we were on magical land. Maybe something related to the Fae.” She shrugged her shoulders. “I’m sure if I were to make myself throw up, I’d settle some debt of giving back the water to her. It’s all that’s in my stomach.” It just might not be the purest water anymore because it’s been in her stomach.

“Appropriate natural connection?” She asked, not understanding, clearly. He told her to sit down and she did, looking curiously and attentively at what he produced, the writings that appeared on them and listened closely to his explanation. It made sense what he was saying, a lot more than trying to learn something by the book. That wasn’t establishing a connection. That was trying to force something unnatural to happen. Thus the rotten fruit. It all made perfect sense. But what made even more sense was the sandwich he set in front of her. Her eyes widened at the expanse of it and the thickness. Such a thick sandwich, full of delicious cheeses and meats that begged for Ewyn’s touch and attention. Her eyes zeroed in on it before lifting her hands to pick up a slice. The fresh aromas of all that was heavenly and delicious wafted up her nose and her stomach growled something fierce, loud enough that Master Gall might hear.

At this point, blinded by hunger, Ewyn didn’t hear anything he said. All she saw was food and this need to gorge and splurge. Before she took a bite though, she looked up at him. “What about you? What will you eat? You must be hungry too. Sure, you’re this great mage but I’d like to think that even the greatest mages need some sort of sustenance.” In other words, she’d be feeling super guilty if she was eating and he was not. Hence why as much as she wanted to, she had yet to take a bite of this glorious sandwich that made all others look like cowards and wimps.

Yoristan let the board fade as he noticed that Ewyn was watching the sandwich with teh same kind of rapt attention that one would normally pay attention to a precious gem, or the source of salvation. Then again, given from the sound her stomach made, this sandwich might be seen as a saving force. He held up a hand, showing a glittering red ring on his hand.
"I actually don't eat anymore. There's a ring for that. I'm usually just too busy to eat, so I had to look into alternatives. Now eat the sandwich. And then we'll see about making some connections. There's bound to be a few places int he glade here that gorw food." He nudged the sandwich closer to her. "So eat. And tehn we'll get back to work on thing. And don't worry about the water. I honestly doubt she cares int he least, adn would be more insulted if you tried to put it back."

Yoristan looked out of the window. He could see the glade around here, feel the pulse of magic. Not quite the sort that he normally felt back in his tower. But it told him there was at least a minor convergence of ley lines in the area. A good ritual circle would let him reinforce the wards, send pulses to try and strike at his enemies. But that would take days, maybe a week to set up properly. Time he didn't have. He sighed. It was hard to imagine that thing had gone oh so wrong so very quickly.

Once more, her gaze fell to the sandwich as he spoke about food. It was a natural inclination to let her attention travel to the food in question. The food that was tempting her so much, she thought she might pass out if she didn’t have just one bite. So when Master Gall gave her the official okay to eat since he apparently didn’t eat anymore—something of course she didn’t understand. No matter how much of a powerful mage she became, she had a feeling she could never give up on food. Then again, she wasn’t aged as Master Gall so what would she know right now? She was only soon to leave her teens.

“Thank you.” She said softly before raising that sliver of a sandwich she had picked up and took a bite out of it. It felt like it all melted into her mouth and she closed her eyes. She did her best not to make many sounds. She knew it used to bother her when some of the young ones would make those sounds. Then again, she was eating again after what felt like forever and after a major battle. She devoured the sandwich. All ladylike grace and manners were gone from this moment. Ewyn was too into this sandwich. Like she was making love to it until it disappeared.

And then that thought entered her mind. Making love. And that made her think of Faryn. She swallowed the last bite but none of what she just ate with much gusto settled properly. No, bile rose up and she felt her stomach do somersaults and the most uncomfortable things when it was clear the food didn’t want to stay down. She covered her mouth and her eyes watered. Not because of anything but her eyes always watered when she threw up or was about to.

Standing immediately, she turned towards her right and then to her left before she disappeared towards the bathroom facilities. Once she was in there, she hurried towards the basin next to the sink, closed her eyes and let all of what she ate just come right back up. How could she possibly be eating when people were dying? When people were dead? When Faryn was dead?

Yoristan saw her bolt for the washroom, and sighed. He'd been wondering when the day was going to all catch up to her. Now apparently. And with interest. He paced after her, waiting a moment before entering after her. He placed a hand on her back, and rubbed. He just stayed near her for a few moments, before he sat near her.
"Easy Ewyn. Take it easy for right now. I take it this is the first time that you've ever lost someone like this. Keep yourself together for right now. Gotta stay sane for the moment Ewyn." He told her softly. "I know this isn't easy. And I'm here to help you out as much as I can. I promise you that I'll keep helping you as long as you need me to. Just...know that Ewyn. I'm here for you."

Vannareth hissed as the hand clenched. It still burned. The new limb was dark, the patina of great age and use This limb had been used before, by a necromancer far greater in scope and power than he. And now it was his to command.
"Does the pain ever fade?" He asked the Dark Mage.
"No. That keeps you centered. Keeps you mortal. Don't let go of that. It'll help keep your magic working properly." The Mage told him. Azucena nodded, and hissed softly. He was adaptable. He'd have to get used to the constant pain. But once he had, he'd be an entirely different force to be reckoned with.

It emptied, or disappeared, or acted like it had never been filled with her upchuck. Ewyn didn’t pay much mind to it. She breathed deeply when the dry heaves finally stopped. There hadn’t been much in her stomach to begin with except for all she had just eaten. The rest were painful dry heaves that left her feeling exhausted. Her cheeks were stained with her tears and she stepped back. She washed her hands after and her mouth, rinsing it out. Her hands were wet with cool water. She slid them around her neck which felt so hot before hearing Master Gall behind her, his hand on her back.

Her eyes closed and she willed herself to stop the emotions. To do as he was saying. Take it easy, keep herself together and keep her sanity. “Yes.” She said softly. She’d never lost anyone and she always hoped she wouldn’t but considering what she was, what she could do, even she knew it would be next to impossible. Of course, she knew one day she would lose her father but hopefully through natural causes. Losing Faryn, and the way she had…

Turning, she looked at him finally, only because her composure had been regained enough to face him. “Thank you Master Gall. I do appreciate it. But I don’t think there will be any more episodes like this. I’m fine.” She was as quick to push it away as he suggested she did, or well as she interpreted. “Do we rest now? Or is there anything you wanted to do? Training or teaching anything?” She asked softly.

Yoristan sighed.
"Ewyn, hear me right now. I don't mean to offend when I say this, but you're still young. THe horrors of the world haven't yet jaded you to them. Which means you're going to feel things, and it's going to hurt. There'll be times you're going to wake up with nightmares. And others when you just can't sleep at all. And there'll be moments that you wonder just how you can stay on your feet, how you can keep going. And the only answer to all of that kind of thing I can give is...it will get easier. You will survive. And you will get past it, if you let yourself. I know that doesn't sound like much, but...where there's life, there's hope. And where there's hope, there's a chance. So yes. There's a few things I can teach you tonight. First, something light. Let's go find a fruit tree and get you connected to it. And then we'll see about getting you to be able to summon food from the tree from a distance. Sound like a good start to things?" He asked her.

Ewyn looked at him and she nodded her head slowly. It was easier to keep the emotions at bay for now. There was too much at stake. She had to be on her highest alert, stay on guard. It was the only way she could survive this, at least mentally and keep her sanity. After…well maybe after, she’d be so well accustomed, it would be like not having to eat anything ever again. For now though, she was going to settle for learning how to make her connection to a fruit tree, to several fruit trees. That way at least, whenever she wanted fruit, she could have it. And it wouldn’t be rotten.
“I’d like that.” She said softly. “Shall we?”

Yoristan nodded, and led Ewyn outside. The glade was a fine looking place, and he breathed in, feeling the clean air soothe his nerves, and the magic in that air soothe his strained Gift. A quick look isolated something that might be good. An apple tree. The tree was a good size, but had low branches. It was a nice looking one, adn Yoristan felt a subtle pulse of magic from it, steady and constant like a heartbeat. He came close, adn extended a hand, feeling that magic wash over him. He let out a breath, and spoke a word, it was low and seemed to almost chime in hte air. It was not a language that sounded like anything a human would use, but Yoristan only smiled.
"Well Ewyn, it seems as though to make a connection with this tree you'll have to make a deal with the owner. Or at least ask permission. Sound like something you're willing to try?" He asked her.

Ewyn followed him outside and she basked in the fresh air. No matter how nice the cottage was, the fresh air was something that could not be replaced. Especially after throwing up. It settled her frayed nerves and her stomach as well. That and it most certainly helped that there was something about the air. The magic. It helped even more, especially since she was not attached to her staff at the moment.
Following Master Gall to the tree he selected, she watched him a moment and then cast her eyes on the tree for the moment, observing. It felt like her sight zeroed in and she heard something in her head, only snapping out of it when her teacher spoke. She blinked her eyes and looked to him and then the three. “What kind of deal?” She asked softly. “Or…how does one ask a tree for permission?” She sounded unbelieving but it wasn’t true.

"Depends on what you want. And you don't ask the tree. You ask the master of the tree. Lady? My apprentice will need to see to understand." Yoristan said idly. The tree groaned, as though under strain, and a humanoid face pushed it's way out of the trunk of the tree. It turned, as though examining those outside, before withdrawing. A moment later the tree groaned once more, and what looked like a slender woman, carved entirely out of soft apple wood. Her hair was a flownig carpet of leaves that fluttered in hte light breeze, adn she smiled, looking at Yoristan and Ewyn. "Greetings lady Dryad. I am Yoristan Gall, and this is Ewyn, my apprentice. She seeks to speak to you, but lacks the practice to know the tongue of your kind, thus I ask you to favour her with speech in the common tongue."

THe dryad nodde, and stepped towards Ewyn, smiling. Her eyes were a deep green, the colour of fresh grass, and inhumanly bright.
"Greetings Apprentice Ewyn. What do you seek from me?" The voice of the ryad was quiet, a whisper of sound. Like wind through leaves on a lazy summer days.

Her eyebrow rose. She was left confused. Another lady? Goodness, how many ladies were about this realm? She wouldn’t be surprised if the trees branches and roots came alive at some point and tried to pull her into the trunk, similarly how the water rippled tried to pull Ewyn into the center of the geyser. She still had her concerns about that, unable to help herself imagine what would have happened to her if Master Gall hadn’t been there.

She brought herself back to the presence and watched as a lady formed out of the tree. It left her eyes widened, her jaw kissing the ground and once again, she was in wonder by the world of magic and the realm of creatures in it. It didn’t fail to put her in awe and she blinked her eyes. “U-Um…Milady,” she bowed, unsure of how to be right now or even how to word her request. “I wish to learn to conjure fruit and the like. I have tried but they’ve all been rotten and ill to eat. Master Galls says I have no connection to the tree that the fruit comes from and I must make one. I wish to make a connection to this tree, in order to hone my skill in conjuring fruit for even in the most difficult of times where fruit might be scarce or barren.”

She looked up to her and then quickly added, "If you let me."

Yoristan smiled. Ewyn might be getting shock after shock, but she rallied to the moment admirably. The dryad reached a hand up and gently plucked an apple from her tree, adn handed it to Yoristan. he nodded ,silently thanking her for the gift. She plucked another for Ewyn, and pressed teh fruit into her hands.
"Take it with my blessing young one. And perhaps in time, offer a service to one of my kind that is in need." She said to Ewyn before stepping back, melding into the tree once more. Yoristan smiled, and pat Ewyn's shoulder.
"Well done. Now bring the apple. We'll get you connected, and then you'll eat it." He explained, leading her back towards the cottage.

Rather than lead her back inside, he waved a hand, and a pair of chairs extended out from the cottage. He sat in one, and waved for her to join him.
"Now. The first thing to do is to focus on the apple. Close your eyes, and focus. Feel every contour of the apple in your hands. Try and get as clear a picture in your mind as you can. Can you see it there in your mind? Good." He paused a moment, wanting to bite intot he dryad gifted apple in his hands, but felt that might distract Ewyn, so he refrained for the moment. "Now. Feel it with your mage senses. Feel the touch of the dryad, the lingering magic. The pulse and flow of the power seeping through the fruit. Now, put just a little bit of your own power into it. Then slowly draw it back in. Can you feel it now? That twinge of difference? That kind of earthy feel? Now. Twine that power around your food summoning spell. And call an apple."

After being given an apple by the dryad herself, Ewyn cupped her hands around it, holding it like it was the most valuable treasure. She’d imagine it just might be coming from the hands of the dryad. She nodded her thanks and smiled softly, watching as she melded back into the tree. Turning to Master Gall, she followed him back towards the cottage. Once the chairs came on out, her amazement never ceasing of how easily he could wield things by the use of his magic, Ewyn sat down. The apple rest in her hands which rest in her lap. And then, she followed his instruction.

Her eyes closed and she focused on the apple, memorizing every inch of it, the roundness, the firmness of it, even the soft ripened scent coming from it so thinly. It was there, in her mind, exactly the way it was in her hands. It wasn’t like any ordinary apple. This one was touched, kissed, by the dryad and she felt the lingering power, as if it wanted to fade away but she held onto it, brought it into her own and felt it surge within her from the mere touch. She felt it, just like he said. She felt her power mixing in with the power that came from the apple left by the dryad, melding into each other. It was a clear picture in her mind, it was clear what she sensed and felt from it.

It surrounded her and the apple. Holding the current one in her left hand, she held out her right hand, palm facing upwards and she conjured up an apple. It looked exactly like the one in her hands. They always did look perfect but it wasn’t the outside she was concerned with. It was the inside. Her eyes opened and she looked down at the fruit in her right hand and then looked to Master Gall. Biting her lower lip, she lifted it to her mouth and took a bite. It wasn’t rotten. No, it was a fresh, ripe apple like it was just picked from the tree. Juicy and crunchy the way a good apple should be. The smile that came to her face lit up her entire features, especially her eyes and she extended it to him if he would like to try. “It tastes just like an apple should.”

Yoristan smiled, seeing how easily Ewyn had adapted to the simple spell. That adaptability was something that he saw as one of the biggest advantages that Ewyn was going to have as she matured in her skills. And she was already showing potential to be a powerful mage int he future. Ten, fifteen years from now, she'd likely have her own sanctum that she held court over, her own pocket of land that she watched over. Though if he was any judge, she'd likely not be embracing hte solitude in the same way that he had. She was more of a creature that required people around her. Nothing wrong with that really, it was all just a different approach to life. He nodded as she spoke about the apple. He point at the one that had been given to her from the Dryad.
"Keep an eye on that one. It was a gift, so it will never spoil, unless you start eating it. But it was a dryad gift, so it will likely be the best apple you can ever conceive of eating." He told her. As he spoke, he took a bite out of his own gifted apple, savouringhte taste a moment. It had been some time since he sat down to indulge in eating. And now that he had, he admit that he missed the flavour. "Get some rest Ewyn. We've a long way to go tomorrow, and I'll be showing you how to do a sending spell in the morning, when we've both had a chance to recharge."

Ewyn smiled lightly, though it didn’t necessarily reach her eyes the way her smiles did before. But it was clear she was tired. Incredibly so. Physically, her body was exhausted. Mentally and emotionally, she was farther away from sleep than anyone could be. Still, she felt like nothing would be better than to seclude herself away, lie down and just stare at whatever she could that wouldn’t frighten her. “I’ll keep it safe. Maybe because it’s a gift from a dryad, I can harness something from it when I need to. I’ll see you tomorrow Master Gall.” And with that, she stood, taking another bite into the apple she had summoned, the chair she was sitting in melding back into the cottage and she disappeared into a room she saw had a bed in it.

She shut the door, the apple finished to the core. Considering she ate a sandwich and threw it all up, she was instantly hungry again. But again, as she stared at the core of the apple, next to the full apple from the dryad, she felt guilty all over again. And then all she could think about was Faryn and it made her throat close up. She felt like such a sap for feeling the way she did about his death but it hit her hard. That and it was the first time she ever lost someone she knew, cared for and wanted nothing more than to see them again right that moment.

She undid the strings of her dress and let it slide down her frame, pooling around her ankles on the ground, leaving her in only her slip dress. Moving to the bed, it didn’t feel nearly as comfortable or nice as the one back in the tower, or the one in the village but it’s not like she would be sleeping. She knew that much. That feeling when you first lay down and feel the exhaustion all come to a climax, it didn’t happen for her. Instead, she lay on her side, staring at the wall which she was able to see the outside of. Occasionally she’d move. Turn on her other side, lie on her back, maybe even lie on her stomach for a bit with her arms curled to her and one knee bent. But she never slept. And even as morning came, slight dark circles appeared under her eyes, giving her the look of someone who hadn’t slept a wink. She got out of bed before the sun rose, put her dress back on and went outside of her room, outside of the cottage and let her feet touch the soft grass, the cool earth beneath them and breathe in the fresh air laced with something magical. That felt more relaxing and peaceful as opposed to lying down all night only to toss and turn.

Yoristan let Ewyn go into the cottage. he knew that she was likely in for a rough night, the grief of the day still too near to allow her to put it past her. But she was going to have to get her head into the game sooner or later. He'd have to give her a few things to keep her praticing, and keep her occupied in constructive ways. Yoristan leaned back in his chair, feeling it warp as he applied pressure, leaning it back into a kind of lounging chair. He'd only need an hour of rest, thanks to his ring. And they were safe in this clearing, he knew full well that the Water Weird might be a powerful Seer, but her command of magic was impressive enough when bent to task for defending her region. Sleep was uneasy, but it came to him in it's own time.

The morning saw Yoristan poking around in the glade, making a few connections of his own, linking the fruit of the clearing to the cupboards adn larder of the cottage, allowing them to summon additional food to them. It was good to keep expanding. There was a number of smaller creatures inhabiting the glade, from small animals to the more diminutive Fae that made their homes in the area, keeping close to the Water Weird for safety and likely amusement. Once Ewyn was out of the cottage, he nodded to her, seeing her look haggard and not really well rested. He resolved to work on something for that as they moved. Or at least once they stopped. Brew her a draght to help her sleep. She already had wards to keep dreams away from her, and she might find the peace of silence that came from proper rest.
"Morning Ewyn. How are you feeling?" He called to her.

Her gaze traveled over to Master Gall. She wasn’t even going to try and hide how exhausted she was, at least facially. But for the sake of their lives and their journey, she would push through. She resolved that sleep would come eventually. Right now, she cared more to survive than anything else. She’d sleep when it was all over.
“Good morning Master Gall.” It was a good morning. The air was fresh, the grass was cool, the earth was soft and comforting beneath her feet. That was a good morning. It didn’t matter about rest or sleep. She was getting enough rest right now by being outdoors. Although her face and even her hair would say otherwise—though her curly red locks always were left unruly so it hardly made a difference—her mood said more. And she was in a better mood than yesterday. Sort of.

“I’m okay. Ready to continue on our journey. That’s how I’m feeling.” She walked over to him. “How about you? Did you rest enough?” She asked softly, caringly.

Back
Top Bottom