Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Adventures in Barsaive

Status
Not open for further replies.
For a moment I just watch, rather startled by the unusual and definitely unexpected sight. Theft was never an issue back in Drenix, with hardly anyone having much worth stealing, and so I am unsure how to proceed. Logic dictates I should do my best to catch the thief, but then I am still mostly inside the bedroll, and that is limiting my mobility. So instead I merely whisper towards the small name giver

"If you go on that way I fear I will have to make a big ruckus, yelling 'Catch the thief' and all that."

Even as I do that I try to subtly shift into a position that will make it easier to jump from the bedroll, or at least quickly extend an arm towards the windling, should this become necessary.

The Windling turns with a start. The silver piece falls with little sound onto the top of your backpack. He stares at you for a moment, his flesh the color of a pale leaf in deep summer. There are strange markings across his face in a black colored ink, though it is hard to say if they hold any meaning other than being something of a tatto. He looks towards you closing his eyes and releasing a hard sigh. The Namegiver stands at around a foot tall, still incredibly small, and yet surprisingly taller than what you had envisioned within your mind. There were no Windlings in Drenix, and though many seemed to know of them few seemed to be able to say where some could be found.

The Windling sighed once again, being surprisingly slothful for a man who had just been caught attempting to steal. Most individuals would probably try to flee somewhere. Finally, after shaking the jet black hair upon his head, he raised both of his arms into the air "Alright. I surrender." the being said with hardly any indication of actually being moved to any kind of action. "Fair is fair I suppose. I mean it was only one silver piece, I didn't think you would miss it very much." he said shrugging, "Though I did not expect to be caught in the act either. I hereby pledge with words under the oath of the Thicket League to do or say as you will until such time comes where you believe my crimes have been paid for. I could possibly show you something you might be interested in as you seem... Interested in weapons..." he says with a tilt of his head, motioning towards your axe. " Though you will have to go into the forest to retrieve it. Don't worry too much about that, it looks a lot more harmful than it actually is. Come to think of it I'm not sure if there is anything really all that harmful there... Besides a few Namegiver bandits of course, but you can find those nearly anywhere." he finishes with a small shrug and pauses. His small beady eyes looking towards you the entire pause.

Hmm, that was easy, almost too much so. I had half expected the Windling to fly away at the first sight of trouble, and his chances would not have been too bad. Instead he ... pledged his loyalty to me? For whatever that was worth.

I turn inside my bedroll until I lie on my stomach, and propping my upper body up on my elbows - and giving him a nice view of my cleavage, should he be interested in such - I study him as he studies me, before I finally speak

"So did I get this right? You say you are following my orders now" That sounds a lot weirder once I say it out loud, I have never commanded anyone before "And you say there is some good weapon hidden in the forest over there" my left hand rises to point into the general direction "Which is guarded by bandits? Any idea how many of them?"

The Windling male crosses his arms, though his eyes seem to follow your movements as you sit up. Though he shows no obvious expression his eyes do certainly drift quite far down. His attention reverts back once you begin to speak. His mouth opens or a moment, a look on his face that would seem to indicate that he is picking his words carefully. "That is... Correct enough I suppose. In essence I am following your orders now, as per the oaths of the thicket league. There is indeed a good weapon within the forest, though I can guarantee that there are no bandits that guard the weapon, let alone knowing of its existence. I... Found it only a few days ago myself. It is certainly far too large for an individual such as myself to wield it. You other Namegivers are far too large for your own good." He pauses again taking a moment to hop down onto the ground, getting just a little closer. "As for the bandits, I would estimate that there are about four of them or so. What they are doing there and why I am not sure. Though my guess is that they aren't smart enough to find this weapon, it is very likely that they will wait in ambush for a caravan such as this one."

"Hmm..." I even resort to rubbing my chin for a moment to speed up my thought process "... in that case it seems only prudent to inform the others about this. I would not want then to run into such an ambush unprepared. Maybe we can even bring the fight to the bandits..."

Even as I speak I slip out of the bag. Yes, I am naked, so what? No matter what course of action we take I need to get dressed, and so that is what I do now. When finally the last latches of my armor are adjusted I continue my inquiry "So those bandits ... would you know whether they sleep at night, just like us, since they will hardly find a caravan traveling in the dark?"

The Windling shrugs a bit, his tiny feet carrying him just a bit closer. "I suppose that would be prudent indeed. I can also say that bringing the fight to the bandits would not be too hard. Oh and my name is Vidin... Just in case you were curious." the Windling finishes by mumbling a bit under his breath, his double wings taking him up into the air. The fluttering appendages causing him to glide a bit as he buzzed around as you get dressed.

Once you finish dressing, Vidin lands onto your shoulder. Though not heavy in any capacity, the tiny Namegiver is certainly a constant presence on your body. "If they act in similar patterns, than I would say they are all asleep. Probably for a few hours yet. We might want to hurry though." he said, still perched on your shoulder.

"Appropriate Haste seems like a good idea " Appropriate haste, one of Ognar's favorite terms. "So let's go and wake the others." only then it hits me that I have forgotten something, if not essential then at least demanded by common manners. My head turns until my face is mere inches from Vidin. "I'm Yaiil, by the way" As I provide my name I manage to produce a smile as well.

With that I grab my axe and step around the wagon, checking out where everyone else is located. At least one of my fellow travellers should be keeping watch, after all.

The camp is exceedingly quiet. Well... As quiet as it can be with two snoring individuals adding their own not so soft notes to the general sounds of night. As your eyes scan the area you see several tents propped up. As you scan through them you see the Dwarf, the Ork women, and Felix. Though there isn't any initial sign of Davin. However before you begin to panic you see Davin, standing and looking surprisingly alert. The man turns and walks casually towards you. "Something the matter..." is how the human starts, though his attention shifts to the buzzing individual near you. You notice him tense for a moment, his hand tightening into a fist, as if ready to grab his makeshift weapon. "And... Who is this?" he asks motioning towards the small creature.

"Just a Windling who is looking to help... Though I can't say it started out that way." Was all that Vidin said in response to the human. His tone a little sluggish.

"Actually Vidin here ..." I briefly jerk my chin in the windling's general direction to remove the last trace of doubt whom I am talking about "... just warned me that about four bandits have their camp in the little patch of wood ahead near the road. The should be asleep now, but in the morning they will be more than ready to lay a little ambush for our caravan as I understood it.

Which means our best course of action would seem to surprise them when they don't expect us.
"

Davin blinked once. A confused look upon his face. "Bandits... Hmm. Well than I suggest that we get to them immediately." The Human states with a nod, drawing the pitchfork from his back letting the weapon rest within both hands. The Windling lands on your shoulder, resting his wings for a moment.

"I can show you where to find them. Though we should hurry, lest they wake too soon. They should be easy to find as we get close, the snoring will be a dead give away." the Windling states before taking off, the man barely looking back to see if he is being followed as he takes flight towards the forest. Davin races towards the flying Windling, Davin waiting for you to catch up.

The forest is deep and vibrant. The undergrowth is dark and somewhat difficult to see in the night, though your Elf low light vision allows you to fare much better than your associates on this particular matter, though it doesn't seem to slow anyone down. Though the outer part of the forest seemed ominous and dreary, the inner forest seems to be the exact opposite: peaceful and inviting. Though this strange dichotomy does seem bizarre, you don't have much time to contemplate it as Vidin flys into a small area of growth.

Four bandits lie sleeping, very loudly, against the ground. They are an odd assortment of individuals, two Humans, a T'skerang, and an Elf. Though something is very odd about this particular Elf. As far as you can tell there are... Thorns sticking out of his flesh that are not covered by some form of cloth. In fact it seems as if the thorns probably stick out all over his body. Regardless of the strange Elf and his thorny appearance, the four bandits continue to sleep, blissfully unaware of your presence.

There I stand, and now that we indeed got the jump on the four bandits I am no longer so sure about what to do next. Just cut them down in their sleep? Sure, they are criminals, but that still seems just wrong. So I hold my axe with a strong grip, ready to act should one of them wake up while I look expectantly at Davin.

Maybe we should secure their weapons first? That sounds like a plan, and a good way to delay the inevitable decision. So I immediately look around where these are at the moment.

The Windling seems to carefully flutter up to a very low hanging branch. A dagger clutched in his hand. The weapon is very small to your eyes, though seems to fit quite nicely into his palm. Davin stops in his tracks, only taking the occasional step as to make as little sound as possible. Both individuals seem hesitant to make the first move in any capacity.

The bandits all seem to have their swords and daggers near them, though as would be expected they aren't in the neatest. Each weapon is nearby what you assume to be the individual owner, though a decent distance away that they could be grabbed without their notice should you be able to remain silent. Vidin flutters gently down next to one of the Human bandits and carefully readies his dagger. The point mere centimeters away from the bandits neck. The Windling getting ready to strike out should the situation call for it. Davin poise himself over the T'skerang and readies his pitchfork.

(If you would like to try to take away their weapons feel free. I will make it a silent walk test which is based off of your dexterity. I am pretty sure that it can be used untrained. If this is not the course of action you want to take you will get a surprise round, and could end at least three of the bandits before combat rounds start.)

I just nod towards my two companions, briefly chewing on my lower lip as I finally make up my mind. Still holding the axe at the ready in my left hand I ever so slowly lower into a crouch and approach the other human bandit - the one not already held in check by Vidin. Moving very slowly, carefully planting my feet in an attempt to avoid any potentially traiterous noise generators I approach him until his weapon is within arm's reach. Once there I pause for just a moment, and then begin to extend my hand ...

[Silent Walk/Dexterity (untrained): 2d6= 6]

(Ouch... They just beat you out.)

As you step out, beginning to grasp for the weapon you accidentally step a bit too far forwards, the tip of your boot crutches against... A twig. The tender piece of wood crunching under your foot. The human bandit awakens with a start, though his head barely lifting his head. "Wuh? Hey!!!" The Uman gets up, but even before he leaves the soft yet undergrowth riddled ground, Vidin and Davin bring their weapons down onto two of the bandits. Vidin slit the throat of the human, while Davin's pitchfork came down onto the T'skerang. You do manage to knock the weapon away before the Human gets up. The Thorn covered elf getting up not to late after.

(Initiative Roll please. I will post the initiative rolls for Vidin, Davin, and the two bandits here. You can also make your first action on your post as a surprise action.)

[Davin Initative: 1d10=9]

[Vidin Initative: 1d12=11]

[Human Bandit Initiative: 1d10=1]

[Elf Bandit Initative: 1d12=4]

[Yaiil Initiative 8:2d6 = 5](I really need Air Dance soon :) )

For a moment I am as startled as the human I accidentially woke up. In a way it is a relief though, no more careful weighting of what to do, now is the time of action and already, a territory I am far more familiar with. I can feel the adrenaline surge through my body as my muscles follow patterns ingrained into them in countless hours of training. Hence I do not hesitate and even as the human bandit tries to get up I swing my axe in a wide arc towards his vital areas ...

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=12, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=15]

You swing your axe across the humans chest, creating a deep gash across the bandits chest, a thick and bleeding wound forms causing the bandit to cry out in pain, clutching at his own chest.
[Knockdown test: Difficulty is 5: Strength Test: 1d10= 6]

((Bandit is hit for 11 damage. He takes a wound, but isn't knocked down. Fantastic starting hit.))

Vidin:

The Windling seizes the advantage, using his fast wings and small stature to fly up next to the other human bandit and uses his dagger to slash against the Namegiver's knee.
[Vidin Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 6]
The Windling over estimates his own momentum, and steps too wide causing him to miss the bandit.

Davin:
Davin is surprised, and though at first startled by the sudden increase in action, turns facing the Elf bandit as he swings his pitchfork like an improvised sword.
[Davin Attack (untrained): Step 6: 1d10=5]
The awkward weapon swings far too wide, allowing the still startled Elf an opportunity to dodge out of the way.

(It is now your Initative.)

My next blow comes almost automatically, following up to press my advantage against my staggering target. I try to stay calm and focused, wielding the heavy weapon with all the efficiency I can muster.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=10, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=11]

Your arc finds a solid position on the humans chest, creating a second much smaller gash against the mans chest. The Human recoils in pain for a moment, though maintains a sturdy footing.

(Attack hits, 7 points of damage that time after armor reduction, still at one wound.)

Elf Bandit:

The Bandit sidesteps quickly, desperately grasping around for a weapon. He takes an extra second and picks up one of the sprawled about swords on the ground, bringing the blade up against his Human assailant before swinging the sword out in a low arc...
[Elf Bandit Attack: Step 10: 2d8= 5]
In his haste the Elf swings far too wide, the blade barely even close to Davin's body.

Human Bandit:

The Human bandit reels back for a moment more, still clutching a bit at his blood covered chest. However after a quick breath he brings his hands away from his body and begins to move towards you in a run. He balls his hands into haphazard fists and arcs on towards your stomach.
[Human Bandit Attack: Step 9: 1d8+1d6=9]
The Human's punch is unskilled and horribly placed, the limb only accomplishing smacking dead air as he falls short of your body.

New Round

Vidin:

The Windling tries once again to slash at the Humans knee, planting his feet a little more before his swing.
[Vidin Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 5]
However careful the Namegiver is with his movements he still can't seem to adjust to the differences in height between himself and his opponent. Then again it doesn't seem like the Windling is a very good fighter.

Davin:

The Human wastes no time as he goes once again to swing his improvised weapon as carefully as he can.
[Davin Attack (Untrained): Step 6: 1d10=7]
Though the Humans swing seems true and careful, the Humans inexperienced combat abilities gives him away and gives the Elf a chance to just barely sidestep out of the way of the blow.

(Your turn once again.)

Sidestepping the Human's charge I let him rush besides me, keeping the momentum of my swirl and continuing it with my axe alone, the weapon coming full circle and assailing the bandit from behind.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=8, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=9]

( He is looking bad now, takes 5 damage after armor reduction. Still only has 1 wound.)

Your axe swings true once again, the edge biting its way through the Humans back. Another serious gash forms across the piecemeal leather armor and you certainly hear the sounds of scraped flesh. The Namegiver seems to slow heavily, blood beginning to drip from his mouth as well as the areas on his body.

Elf Bandit:

He thorn covered Elf grins a fiendish grin and holds the blade out steady and strong. With a sound of effort, the Namegiver charges forwards and slashes at Davin's chest.
[Elf Bandit Attack: Step 10: 2d8= 8]
[Elf Bandit Damage: Step 10: 2d8=15]
The slash finds its mark, Davin grunts hard at the feeling of steel slashing through his armor and flesh.
[Davin Knockdown Test: Step 6: 1d10=8]
Though he manages to grin and bear the brunt of the attack, injured but keeping his guard up as best as he can.

The Human bandit looks both bewildered and a bit frightend, if not also feeling very injured. He clutches at his gapeing wound and turns on the balls of his feet, making all haste to be elsewhere.

"Coward!!" screams a strange voice. The tone is both poised and pain ridden, a rather disturbing combination to your ears. In that instant you are aware the sounds are coming from the Elf bandit as he readies himself once more.

(Okay let me not screw up this time and call for a new Initative test.)

[Elf Bandit: 1d12=4]

[Vidin: 1d12= 6]

[Davin: 1d10= 6]

I have little time to weigh my options. Letting the human get away carries the risk that he might come back later to exact revenge, with reinforcements even. On the other hand he is badly injured and likely happy to be alive. Davin however seems to be in real trouble, outmatched by the strange thorny elf. He has taken one hit already, and might take more if I do not intervene.

[Initiative 8:2d6=10]

So I whirl around and bring my axe down on the elf in a vicious overhead slash, even as I yell "Step back Davin, and leave that one to me .."

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=14, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=16]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit by the elf, she will try to Parry with 16:d12+d8+d6=20]

(That will most certainly hit, and for 11 points of damage I might add. He also receives 1 wound as well.)

The Elf bandits mirthful appearance turns to one of surprised agony as he feels your axe edge cut deep into his flesh. The grin that the bandit wore just seconds ago turns into a dreaded scowl. He feels blood begin to pool from the gash,
[Bandit Knockdown Test: Step 6: 1d10=15]
Though somehow as if through a miracle itself he remains beyond composure, and brings himself back to center.

Vidin:

Vidin steps to the side for a moment and than tries for a third time to attack the remaining bandit, figuring if nothing else he could provide a decent distraction. He fly towards the bandit.
[Vidin Attack: Step 8: 2d6= 11]
[Damage: Step 5: 1d8= 6]
Vidins tiny dagger blade manages to strike true against the Elf's thigh, creating a very small cut into the Namegiver's leg.

Davin:

Davin takes only a moment to catch his breath before he picks up his pitchfork with both hands and swings it. Releasing a war like cry of effort as he does so.
[Davin Attack (Untrained): Step 6: 1d10= 6]
The wound seems to wear him down a bit though, and he is unable to connect with his enemy.

Elf Bandit:

The bandit looks disconcerted to say the very least. With three other Namegiver's around him it is no surprise that he looks just a little worried of his odds. Still though he pivots on his feet and attempts to slash at you, as you seem to be the most experienced adversary here.
[Bandit Attack: Step 10: 2d8= 7]
Though his meager, and overly hasty swing seems to be his downfall.

New Round Initative:

[Vidin: 1d12= 8]

[Davin: 1d10= 5]

[Bandit: 1d12= 1]

[Initiative 8:2d6=8]

I scowl for a moment at the sight of Davin forgoing his chance to retreat and save himself further injury. Not much time to dwell on it, though, as I try to press my advantage with a follow up swing.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=10, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=9]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit by the elf, she will try to Parry with 16:d12+d8+d6=36]

( Attack hits, and the bandit takes 5 damage after damage reduction. Still at 1 wound.)

Your attack manages to hit the Elf just as he shifted slightly away from the blade, making the slash a bit less effective than you had hoped.

Vidin:

Vidin wastes little time and slashes at the Elf once again with his dagger.
[Vidin Attack: Step 8: 2d6=16]
(That is an Excellent Result which is an armor defeating hit)
Vidin has a look of astonishment upon his face as he quickly slashes at the Elf, only to thrust the daggers blade through a crack in the Namegiver's armor.
[Vidin Damage: Step 5: 1d8= 7]
Though the Windling does not manage to puncture anything vital, he pulls his dagger out and readies himself again.

Davin:
Davin twists his hands around the shaft of the pitchfork and brings it up to bear once more.
[Davin Attack (untrained): Step 6: 1d10=8]
Though the Human seems to be getting nowhere with his lack of atrial prowess he still keeps himself ready to strike.

Elf Bandit:
Blood begins to pool at the bandits mouth, causing the Namegiver to grin for a moment before spitting it out. "Your blows are little compared to my own agony." he says in a rather strange, almost narcissistic way. Almost as if he is proud of the statement. The Elf lunges forwards towards you and slashes with his sword.
[Bandit Attack: Step 10: 2d8=11]
[Bandit Damage: Step 10: 2d8= 12]
The Elf's blade strikes surprisingly true, ands finds its mark across your armored abdomin, though does not seem to leave any lasting gashes across your body.

New Round Initative:

[Vidin: 1d12=11]

[Davin: 1d10= 5]

[Elf Bandit: 1d12= 6]

[Initiative 8:2d6=6]

After diverting the elf bandits vicious slash with the long hilt of my axe I try to immediately exploit the opening this presents with another quick swing.

[Yaiil Attack 11:d10+d8=14, should it connect the damage is 14:2d12=15]
[should Yaiil get attacked and hit by the elf, she will try to Parry with 16:d12+d8+d6=15]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom