Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What are you reading?

Good book, and excellent author. Highly recommend The Ocean at the End of the Lane from him if you haven't read it already.
I have not read it. I did see it at Barnes and Noble, picked it up, but ultimately went with Neverwhere. Next time I'm there I'll add it to my collection.

I am currently reading 2 books in parallel, "The Blade Itself" written by Joe Abercrombie and "Dogs of War" by Adrian Tchaikovsky. Additionally, I am listening to the audiobook "The Aeronauts Windlass" by Jim Butcher.

So far, I can wholeheartedly recommend all of them!

In non-fiction space I'm reading plenty of things. Audre Lorde's Sister Outsider is something I've been slowly picking my way through. It's eerie how some of her writings feel alive in the modern day, but I guess anything does if you know where to look?

In the fiction space, Fight Club. I was the one who latched on to the movie but never consumed the book until now.

I sometimes buy nostalgic books. The Lion, The Witch and The Wardrobe seems childish but I guess I'm childish.
As always, Silmarillion is something I'm taking a break from. I go through some, take a break with another book and return after.

I've been reading Carl Jung's Man and his symbols, recently. It's a nice psychological book, with eye-opening theories.
Want to get into philosophy next, mainly neitzsche's work. It sucks though because I can not seem to understand his work, his writing appears to be gibberish to me. I think I'll need a simplified version, as a starting point, at least.

Lunar Park by Bret Easton Ellis

This'll be a second read-through for me, though it's been a few years. I remember enjoying it enough, and wanted to see if I picked up anything else this time around.

Alright, so I'm still reading a number of books with most of my focus being on The Fortress: The Siege of Przemysl and the Making of Europe's Bloodlands by Alexander Watson. It's an account of the six month siege of this Austria-Hungarian fort being sieged by the Russian forces in the early days of WW1. There's a good attention to detail so that it's not just a bird's eye reporting of events. I particularly enjoyed the inclusion of some comics drawn by soldiers depicting Russian deserters trying to surrender to fort defenders by they keep viewing the Russians as attackers and fleeing. It has made me more interesting in the organization of the Austria-Hungary forces in WW1 and how they handled their multi-ethnic and language soldiers, not very good but I want a book that goes more into it.

Another book I'm working on is The Han Solo Adventures, early star wars depicting the exploits of Han Solo in the Corporate Sector. They're not great, but they are pretty fun light reading. Not much more to say.

A book I did recently finish was Programed to Kill: The Politics of Serial Killers, a conspiracy theory book which I knew would be crazy but found to also be incredibly lazy. The book takes a while to drop it's thesis and explain itself; but up to that point it was an interesting read and probably the most documented portion going into very true cases of child exploitation and how weirdly connected they can be to centers of power. But as soon as the thesis drops we're off to the races wherein you're presented by the biography of serial killers and slide commentary of the author about whether they were connected to powerful government back satanists or patsies to cover for said satanists. Presentation wise the book also starts to falter as everything is broken into chapters with titles that imply further supporting evidence, but no you're just getting thrown a new serial killer history and no build up. The first real strike of laziness instead of crazy. The next was how my brand new book had pages start to fall out as I read it, so they cheaped out on the binding. But I think the worse offense was the editing.

I just started A Psalm for the Wild Built by Becky Chambers; audiobook-wise, I'm listening to Flipping Boxcars by Cedric the Entertainer.

Didn't expect to post again so soon; but wanted to mention that the other night I started The Long Way To A Small Angry Planet by Beck Chambers, picked up the first three books in the series because of the word of others. Was just not far enough into it to really comment.

What is surprisingly an amezing series arw the books of yatzee croshaw. They have this absolute sarcastic nature and topics I have not found in any other books, highly recommend it.

Finished Long Way to a Small Angry Planet, was pretty good. Look forward to reading more of the setting. I also finished one of the Han Solo Adventure in Corporate Space books.

Rereading the Night Angel Trilogy by Brent Weeks in anticipation of getting the new one on paperback: "Night Angel Nemesis"!

But I just finished "Verity" by Colleen Hoover and book two from John Gwynne "The Hunger of the Gods". Fantastic viking lore!

I'm juggling a few books at present. I am attempting Eye of the World. I want to try and get ahead of the TV series because otherwise, I won't ever read it. >.> I'm also reading Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman. Finally, I have The Other Black Girl by Zakiya Harris in my reading juggling act.

Several different books: The Twisted Ones by T Kingfisher, IT by Stephen King, The Windup Girl by Paolo Bacigalupi, a stack of 2000AD's from the mid-90's and I really need to start something non-fiction.

I'm re-reading The Dragon Ridden Chronicles by T.A. White. It's one of my favorites when nothing else seems to catch my interest.

Fourth Wing has been really popular around my workplace so once I finished Strange the Dreamer by Laini Taylor, I play to pick that up next!

Re-Reading Going Postal because I'm struggling to get any reading done and Pratchett usually helps solves that.

I am almost finished with the book series A Court of Thorns and Roses. I feel like it would be popular here.

Currently reading H.J. Mackinder's "Democratic Ideals and Reality". Before that I finished Thomas Sowell's "Wealth, Poverty and Politics". I wish I had actual physical copies of both, as the subject matters feel tough for audiobooks. Have to rewind a lot because missing even a single sentence can make you miss the whole point.

I just finished Red Rabbit by Alex Grecian as my spooky month read. I don’t normally read western or horror and it’s both. I really enjoyed it though.

Just started reading Tomorrow and Tomorrow and Tomorrow since I’ve gotten a few recommendations for it.

Been reading my copy of Skeleton Crew by Stephen King that I picked up at a thrift store a while back. It's basically a collection of short stories and some of them are very silly. Highlight so far was 'The Mist' which was very well done, and I ended up watching the movie based on it cause I was curious, which was decently enjoyable.

Silliest story so far was 'Here there be Tygers', which was really just 'A kid goes to the bathroom during school and there's a tiger in there, a classmate comes looking for him cause he takes too long, then goes into the bathroom and probably dies. Then the teacher comes looking for him, goes inside the bathroom and probably dies. Then the kid goes in, takes a leak, and goes back to class to read his comic books, the end.'

That's legit the entire story summarized. It's pretty dumb, even for ol' Stephen.

Currently started the Dune series, haven’t seen the movie but I’m that kind of person haha it’s a different read but by that I mean it’s just so detailed and the authors style of writing is older.

Back
Top Bottom