Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Being 'PC' (politicly correct)

Does the word retarded offend you? Did you know the original simple proper term for children handicapped in the brain is Mentally Retarded?
Does the word fat offend you? did you know overweight people have too many Fat cells? that's what they're called.
If it's offensive to call African Americans black why is it not offensive to call European Americans white?

But my biggest question is, in a world where everyone's attitude is "fuck you I do want and I don't care what happens to you but don't you dare do the same to me," Why do people still get so butthurt?

why do people get offended and speak against someone who only swears when they're angry, but someone who uses the F-bomb and N-word religiously just gets overlooked?

I'm sure i'm asking stupid questions but I'm curious to see other people's opinions on the hypocratics of being politically correct in today's 'america'.

Politically correct is the first stage to revisionism.

In case people need to understand how bad revisionism is, the most common revisionism known is the repeated attempts to rewrite history that the Holocaust against the Jewish people didn't happen.

No matter how you slice it, PC in its own way is a form of Nazism.

Ruphhausin said:

In case people need to understand how bad revisionism is, the most common revisionism known is the repeated attempts to rewrite history that the Holocaust against the Jewish people didn't happen.

interesting....

Human languages are complicated, messy, and sometimes lacking reason. They evolve out of a practical need to communicate, and the become more complex as we gain a desire to express less practical ideas and concepts. A stone is simple, and so is a wheel. Wrap that wheel in rubber, give that rubber treads, and bolt on a hub cap, and suddenly the simple word "wheel" means so much more. This process isn't very difficult to understand when it comes to the material world. We create new things, and come up with new words to describe them. However, less tangible concepts are at the mercy of the people that use them.

We give words power!

A word is not harmful, but the connotation behind those words can be powerful. The meaning we give words are what gives them power, and what evokes the emotional response. If I say "fuck" after hammering my thumb, only some people may mind. However, if I tell a person to "fuck off", there's a much stronger connotation behind it. Why would fewer people mind in the first case, but more in the second? The word is powerful in that some in society view it as a dirty word. It's foul, and only because those people see it as such. In their minds it's a word used by the mean, the harsh, the criminals, and the unsightly. As we normalize, the extremes aren't so extreme anymore-- more "normal" people use the word. In the second example, the word usually holds a very negative connotation. It expresses a strong desire for someone to leave-- a hateful desire. A person can purposely decide that the word no longer holds such weight, but the intent behind it being spoken is still there. The very person who said it still recognizes the connotation, and still harbors those strong feelings.

The words that have the most power are often the messy words we use to convey our feelings-- the less tangible concepts.

Racial slurs are typically very offensive. More than any other category of words (that I can think of), racial slurs are invented out of extreme prejudice and hate. They embody every negative emotion a person could convey to another, and possibly represent the physical turmoil those hated people have suffered throughout history. These words represent some of the most irrational, mindless, hateful expressions we can possibly make to another human being. They are the very example of how we give words power. They are perhaps the very example of what is wrong with us as a race.

Yet these are still words, and like any other words we can strip them of their power.

We normalize, we strip away the power some of these hateful words have. Over time they lose power, and are eventually forgotten. While they are still around, one still needs to understand that they hold a connotation, and that those connotations are often very powerful.

So, why when someone angrily shouts the word nigger, they're reprimanded, but not while during casual conversation? The variables are many, but it is often the intent. The things people say when angry are often loaded with negative intent, and are used most often to harm the mental condition of another human being. In casual conversation, the word has simply been normalized to the point that there isn't any negative intent. Then again, perhaps the word is merely said in like-minded company.

It is my belief that people decide to be politically correct to spare people from the very power we give words. It is something employed out of compassion, but most often as a veil to hide a person's true intent and feelings. To be politically correct is often deceitful and dishonest; it's just another dirty tool.

no wonder people give me crap even though i try to only swear when i angry. i feel swearing is meant to be used when angry and using it casually is quite rude.
i am white and i am incredibly offended when i hear the N-word used so much. all I see is them spitting on everything that MLK jr and the others worked so hard for.

Being PC is a control mechanism. I'm not a PC person and make sure people know it. You don't have to be PC to be a nice person but that's what society is trying to do and instill in people. It's BIG BROTHER more or less. Words are offensive if you react to them in a defensive manner. It's probably why a lot of people are trying to dull down the offensiveness of insults. Tone conveys a lot more than words themselves do.

call me old fashiioned, which i kind of am, but to me, swear words are swear words. period. how everyone says. "i went to the fucking score. I fucking played that video game." It's crude and offensive language, not simply the modern way of talking.
I don't see how it's ok.
but I also think im getting hung up on the cussing in this argument.
I always seem to get stuck between the uptight mormons who never swear once and the kids who listen to rap and go clubbing where racial slurs and cussing is like breathing air.
sometimes you cant win ya know?

Mitzu.. Chaos... Hahvoc.. in your own ways.. you are validating my POV. Smart people. lol

Ruphhausin said:
Mitzu.. Chaos... Hahvoc.. in your own ways.. you are validating my POV. Smart people. lol

i never was the brightest bulb unless math was involved, is this sarcasm or am i actually being smart for once? lol.

Ruphhausin said:

Have you been practicing you Newspeak Ruphausin?

Chaos_The_Chosen_One said:
Ruphhausin said:

i never was the brightest bulb unless math was involved, is this sarcasm or am i actually being smart for once? lol.

No, you are being smart, and it is greatly appreciated.

Nekrosilisk88 said:
Ruphhausin said:

No, Nekro... just telling the simple truth there.

Ruphhausin said:
No, you are being smart, and it is greatly appreciated.

yay!
i can say some dumb thing but people dont realize I do have some kind of a brain. I just find it more fun to not use it. i just try to say and do what makes me happy. :D

Mitsu said:
Human languages are complicated, messy, and sometimes lacking reason. They evolve out of a practical need to communicate, and the become more complex as we gain a desire to express less practical ideas and concepts. A stone is simple, and so is a wheel. Wrap that wheel in rubber, give that rubber treads, and bolt on a hub cap, and suddenly the simple word "wheel" means so much more. This process isn't very difficult to understand when it comes to the material world. We create new things, and come up with new words to describe them. However, less tangible concepts are at the mercy of the people that use them.

We give words power!

A word is not harmful, but the connotation behind those words can be powerful. The meaning we give words are what gives them power, and what evokes the emotional response. If I say "fuck" after hammering my thumb, only some people may mind. However, if I tell a person to "fuck off", there's a much stronger connotation behind it. Why would fewer people mind in the first case, but more in the second? The word is powerful in that some in society view it as a dirty word. It's foul, and only because those people see it as such. In their minds it's a word used by the mean, the harsh, the criminals, and the unsightly. As we normalize, the extremes aren't so extreme anymore-- more "normal" people use the word. In the second example, the word usually holds a very negative connotation. It expresses a strong desire for someone to leave-- a hateful desire. A person can purposely decide that the word no longer holds such weight, but the intent behind it being spoken is still there. The very person who said it still recognizes the connotation, and still harbors those strong feelings.

The words that have the most power are often the messy words we use to convey our feelings-- the less tangible concepts.

Racial slurs are typically very offensive. More than any other category of words (that I can think of), racial slurs are invented out of extreme prejudice and hate. They embody every negative emotion a person could convey to another, and possibly represent the physical turmoil those hated people have suffered throughout history. These words represent some of the most irrational, mindless, hateful expressions we can possibly make to another human being. They are the very example of how we give words power. They are perhaps the very example of what is wrong with us as a race.

Yet these are still words, and like any other words we can strip them of their power.

We normalize, we strip away the power some of these hateful words have. Over time they lose power, and are eventually forgotten. While they are still around, one still needs to understand that they hold a connotation, and that those connotations are often very powerful.

So, why when someone angrily shouts the word nigger, they're reprimanded, but not while during casual conversation? The variables are many, but it is often the intent. The things people say when angry are often loaded with negative intent, and are used most often to harm the mental condition of another human being. In casual conversation, the word has simply been normalized to the point that there isn't any negative intent. Then again, perhaps the word is merely said in like-minded company.

It is my belief that people decide to be politically correct to spare people from the very power we give words. It is something employed out of compassion, but most often as a veil to hide a person's true intent and feelings. To be politically correct is often deceitful and dishonest; it's just another dirty tool.

This is spot on. The psychological connection between words and actions runs deep for our species because we have evolved an incredibly complex language center in our brains. The very fact that this discussion exists is proof of that fact. Other species do not even consider what their language means. At the most base level, it is meant to convey something: an intention, a warning, a range of emotion. There is no consideration about whether that sound (usually vocal for most species) has an emotional impact on its recipients.

Now existing in a heavily post-modern world has exacerbated this condition. We are highly aware of ourselves, our past, and the impact that something might have - be it a word spoken or otherwise. We have a greater predictive ability because the vast majority of what we do has been done before. We know that certain words will garner a negative reaction because others have tested this. The sociological impact therein is polarizing. Aware that a fraction of the collective vocabulary is emotionally connected, most people will avoid those words because they unfortunately tend to have negative, rather than positive stigma. However, a small demographic will utilize powerful words to add clarity to their message - especially one designed to penetrate. This is logical since we are bombarded with so much information daily, but much of it, save positive and negative extremes, never enters even our short-term memory, let alone long-term.

I want to emphasize that what I just wrote is strictly my opinion and has whatever merit you award it. I just found this topic interesting and felt the urge to contribute. LOL!

Oh and for the record, fat people are fat because their fat cells are more engorged with lipids. Humans have a relatively similar amount of fat cells for their proportions. The difference in appearance is due to the contents of these cells. Obviously these contents are not distributed evenly since certain people collect greater fat deposits in different regions of their body (think female vs. male fat deposits). When an individual gets liposuction, actual fat cells are removed and it is often harder for the subject to keep fatty weight off because they body tries to make up the difference, detecting lost storage.

Ruphhausin said:
Nekrosilisk88 said:
Ruphhausin said:

And i was agreeing with you ironically by pointing out the extreme we may be drifting towards sadly. Personally I don't like the concept of being PC. In no small part because i hate being forced to follow what someone else thinks without having any say in the matter.

Nekrosilisk88 said:
Ruphhausin said:
Nekrosilisk88 said:

And i was agreeing with you ironically by pointing out the extreme we may be drifting towards sadly. Personally I don't like the concept of being PC. In no small part because i hate being forced to follow what someone else thinks without having any say in the matter.

Actually, I thought so. There was supposed to be a LOL there.. but I typed faster than I thought I did. My bad.. and yes... I agree how you said it as well.

I feel that being PC is well, for lack of a better term I can find, retarded. I'm black and I jst don't walking around looking for white people who might say the n-word so I can beat them up. In fact my white friends say that word more than me and that is saying that there comes a point where people are like 'you know what i so bad about word.' If your big boned that's cool if you're fat and lazy then you're fat and lazy. Don't try to overly protect the next generation by saying their have an eatting disorder while pushing the image you need to be thin to be consider pretty. Don't say "I'm from african discent." when I'm black, say black is cool but follow me in the store.

Back
Top Bottom