Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Golden Shields ( Katy1008 & CrimsonMaster )

Tom slipped the device into an evidence bag which Evie pulled out. They drove back to the boat were they continued to work. Since no reports stated that any electronic devices were found at other scenes. But Justin & Captain Howard both said they had seen such devices before. That told Tom that someone inside the arson investigators office was covering this fact up. It was still possible that one of the suspects on the list was involved. It was also possible that the list was to throw Tom & Evie off the track. To lead them on a wild goose chase. All the arson investigators were former firefighters. To save money, the city & county shared investigators. Normally one investigator would handle one fire. But a team of three had been assigned to work this case. Tom decided that he & Evie would followup on that list of suspects. This would keep whoever covered up those devices which started the fires, from realizing the police were on to them.

The next morning, Tom & Evie arrived at the Central Station. Tom asked Evie to run the device down to her "Boyfriend" at the crime lab. This was said in a teasing way. It was well known among the members of the MCU team that Greg who worked in the crime lab had a crush on Evie. This crush was often used to tease her. Tom wanted the LAPD techs to see if they could find out where the device came from. He told Evie to meet him at the squad room when she was done. They'd get addresses on that list of suspects then track them down. Tom entered the office, made a pot of coffee before entering his office. He checked over the arson reports and found the names of the investigators. Tom then started running background checks on the three men.

Evie sat back as Tom drove them home, thinking on the materials she had been reading on line earlier.

"You know, some fires are started by firemen who are simply attention seekers and actually since that type of firesetter is not so uncommon, a commission was formed in the 1990s to study such people. The commission worked with the FBI's Behavioral Sciences Division in Quantico to create a screening test for fire departments to avoid hiring potential firebugs. The numbers lessened from about 40 per year to three. There was a fire captain and arson investigator from Glendale... John Orr I think... He was so good at reaching fires quickly and setting up teams to put them out, that people became suspicious. FBI thinks he set over 2,000 fires between 1984 and 1991. Orr was ultimately convicted of killing four people in a fire in Pasadena in 1992. He wrote a book about a man who loved to set fires for sexual gratification, and it was used against him at trial. In 2008, he was sentenced to life plus 20 years and is serving time at the State Prison."

Tom didn't respond. What was there to the say. Things were starting to point to an inside job.

The following morning when they arrived at work, Evie took the evidence down to Gregg. She simply rolled her eyes at the quip from Tom. She dropped the device off, telling Greg what they needed, and then headed back up to the office.

Tom may not have said anything last night, but what Evie said about Orr stuck in his mind. Even while Tom was doing background checks on the arson investigators. The Orr story continued to play like a movie in his memory. Tom remembered that case since it happened in California. He remembered how it made people feel about firefighters. Many painted all firefighters as if they were insane fire bugs. It's like how one bad cop can make the rest look just as bad. The press has a lot to do with how the public sees the police & firefighters. Once a public figure steps over the line. The press swarms all over them before dragging the rest into the same dirty hole. Tom knew that if there was an arson investigator causing these fires, or involved in anyway. Firefighters from both departments would get tarnished from his actions. It only took one bad apple to make the rest appear rotten. By the time Evie came into the office, Tom was just finishing up his background checks. Nothing appeared out of the ordinary, but appearances can be deceiving. " Oh......Back so soon?.......I thought you'd spend a little more time with Gregg. " Tom acted all surprised at seeing Evie entering his office. Mutual teasing was apart of the relationship Tom & Evie shared. It was the same good nature teasing Evie shared with her brothers and father. Tom's acting ability wasn't his strongest suit which Evie pointed out. She said it was a good thing Tom was a cop. He couldn't support himself as an actor.

Tom printed off the background reports on the three arson investigators involved with this case. He let her read over the information while Tom said they seemed clean. Like Tom, Evie knew that appearances weren't always what they seemed. Tom said making a connection between any of these men and the fires wouldn't be easy. There had to be a reason why a trained firefighter would set fires. Was it all just for trills? Some type of sexual gratification? Or could this all be for profit in some form which Tom hadn't thought of? Tom finished his coffee while he and Evie talked about the case. He grabbed the list of suspects and stood up. Tom said that they should track these guys down before making waves at the arson investigator's office. The first name on the list was David Lenz, a 29 year old white male who was convicted for setting three fires. One was inside a department store's restroom while the store was open.

"What? Would you prefer I'd spent longer down there? I can go back if you want?" Evie walked past Tom's office door and fetched herself a cup of coffee before heading back into Tom's office, sitting herself down in the chair on the opposite side of the desk. She took the summaries of each arson investigator and began to read through them as she sipped her coffee. Evie talked as she read, picking up bits of information, details in each one but in truth she was struggling to find something...anything which gave her any sense of a clear route into the investigation. She didn't say anything, but she felt they had lots of possibilities, lots of motives which could lead to lots of different suspects, but at the moment she was struggling to see any evidence which indicated any one of them were more right than any other. Yes, they had a bit of plastic found at one fire which was similar to that found at two other fires. They also had the fact that the first two reports didn't mention it. Was the absence of that reference enough to justify narrowing everything down? That it was suggestive ... She could buy that. But something didn't sit well with her. At that moment though, she could quite work out what it was.

And until she could, Tom's plan was the only one they had. Until she could it was only sensible to follow that. But at that moment, she had a nagging doubt and nothing she could point to as a justifiable reason for it. So they headed out to see their first suspect.

Tom & Evie drove to the home address listed on the information about David. They entered the apartment building and headed upstairs. After finding the apartment, Tom knocked, but got no answer. Tom & Evie waited for a time before heading to the building manager's apartment. They walked back down the stars to apartment number 1. Tom again knocked, but this time got an answer. The building manager opened his door and was greeted with Tom & Evie holding up their badges. Tom identified them as police officers before asking where David Lenz was at. The manager looked at his watch. He thought for a moment then said David would be at work. He then said David worked at a dry cleaners down on Sunset. The man thought again before saying Parkman Cleaners. Tom & Evie left after thanking the manager for his help. They got back into their car and headed for Sunset Boulevard. " You know......every fire bug in the county will be looking over their shoulders for the cops.......Since the one fire caused six deaths.......I wouldn't be surprised if David got scared and ran. " Tom said to Evie while driving. He then told Evie, she'd be dropped off before they reached the dry cleaners. Tom said Evie should work her way around the building and wait in case David tries a backdoor escape. Tom would wait for a text from Evie saying she was in position before he walked in. He dropped Evie off before continuing down the street. Tom pulled the car into the parking lot and waited. The wait wasn't a long one. Evie sent her message and Tom left the car. He walked into the dry cleaners and quickly spotted David working the cleaning press. A lady behind the counter asked if she could help Tom. He just smiled while pulling out his badge & ID. " I'm Lieutenant Reed......MCU......I'd like to speak with David Lenz. " The lady started to turn as David's own head was turning. He caught sight of Tom and his badge. David took off running into the back of the dry cleaners. Tom wiped out his cell phone and texted Evie that David was coming her way. He moved around the counter and into the back. Tom said to the woman that it was a nice day. He was in no hurry. Tom knew Evie would have David caught by the time he reached the rear door.

Evie thought what Tom said made a lot of sense. When Tom pulled over, she climbed out of the car and ducked into an alleyway. She walked down and then behind the front row of buildings, walking along and looking for the back door of the dry cleaners. It wasn't hard to find. It was partly open and the cleaning fumes were fairly obvious. Evie set herself just inside of the door and to the one side, hidden behind a rack of clothes covered in protective thin plastic sheet and sent the text. And then she waited. She imagined Tom walking in, identifying himself, asking for their suspect. She imagined Lenz recognizing the law and then making the decision to run. Imagined him getting through the building. She waited. Listened. And it didn't take long. She heard the steps getting louder, and just at the last moment, she pushed the rack of clothes out. Lenz was spending a lot of time looking behind him and when he saw the clothes appear in front of him, it was too late. He clattered into the rack which tipped over. Lenz struggled to stay on his feet for a moment, arms flailing, but Evie could see that his momentum would take him down. And down he went. Evie watched for a moment and then reached down to pull the man up. His drive to run disappeared before he hit the floor. There was no fight in him. He was a fire starter - not a fighter.

"Let me help you up Mr. Lenz. You seem to be in somewhat of a mess." Evie grabbed hold of the man's collar and pulled him up sharply. As she pulled him up, she turned and Lenz came face to face with Tom who was already there waiting with his ID held up, wearing a bored look on his face.

"I didn't do anything. I'm clean." He said, looking between Tom and Evie.

"Then why run?" Evie said not really expecting an answer.

David hung his head after Evie asked why he ran. It was a fight, or flight reaction was over came him. He wasn't a fighter, so he ran. " I ran because I figured you thought I was guilty anyway.......I should have known a single cop wouldn't come looking for me. " David said before letting out a sigh. He looked at Evie before turning towards Tom. " I swear......I had nothing to do with any of those fires.....I've been in counseling since my release and I've kept on my meds........My doctor says I'm doing good at keeping myself straight. " David's voice was shaky, but he seemed to be speaking from the heart. Tom slipped his badge back into his coat. He told David that they didn't come to bust him. Tom said that they were just following up a list of suspects. One of which was David. Tom asked David if he ever used any kind of electronic device to start his fires. David shook his head while answering no. Tom then asked David were he was last night? David said he was invited to a birthday party of one of the employees at the dry cleaners. That party was in fact for the lady out front. Tom asked David what time he arrived at the party and what time he left. David said he got to the party around 7:30 and didn't leave until after 11pm. He had taken a cab which picked him up at his apartment and a co worker drove him home. David didn't own a vehicle. Tom knew David's story was easy enough to check out. He asked Evie to keep David here while he went back inside. Tom figured Evie would question David a bit more while he was gone.

Tom spoke with the lady at the front counter before returning. He told Evie that the lady confirmed David's story. The lady also added that she lived in the valley which was many miles away from the last fire scene. The distance was to great for David to travel a crossed the county and make it back to the party without anyone noticing he was gone. Of course the electronic device would have been set to go off at a certain time. Tom did stop and take notice of David's time card which showed he got off at 6 pm that day. From the dry cleaners, it would have taken David 30 plus minutes to get home. That would have put him at his apartment at around 6:30 pm. A full hour before David arrived at the party. That wasn't a lot of time for someone who didn't own a car. Tom handed David his card. He told David that they may wish to speak with him again, but that he shouldn't worry. Tom didn't believe David had anything to do with this case. David was told he was free to go back to work. Tom watched as David disappeared inside. He then turned and noticed a troubled look on Evie's face. It was like she was staring at a mixed up puzzle trying to see what the picture was. " Evie?........You okay?........Does something about David not set right with you? " Tom asked while looking at Evie. He was sure David had nothing to do with this, but it was possible Evie spotted something that he missed.

Evie asked David what did he do when he wasn't at work? Who did he socialize with? Where? Evie thought he just sounded like a guy who was actually trying to turn his life around. Clearly he wasn't entirely 'well' mentally; how could you be so when you were fascinated by fire to such an extent that you couldn't stop yourself setting fires. Evie's mind started to wander again back to what she had been reading the night before. Why would a firefighter or investigator set fires? Were arsonists drawn to firefighting - hiding in plain sight - or did the job turn ordinary guys into arsonists. It surely couldn't be the latter, although they set a lot of fires ... Because they needed to practise putting them out. She'd read something about them doing it for money. Seventy percent of firemen were volunteers; only cities could afford fire departments. Usually, if the get called to a fire they get paid. But then the report had gone on to say that boredom was generally the main reason that firemen set fires. Rural small-town firefighting is generally boring. They sweep out the station and weld a water tank onto the new truck; the run fire drills at the elementary school and apply for Homeland Security grants. There are weekends of dull Hazmat training for disasters that will never happen the article had gone on to say. They eat cookies during business meetings and develop a comfortable belly. There is a reason sexy firefighter calendars feature professional, city firefighters and not their rural, volunteer counterparts.

The author - a Rachel Munroe had recounted how on one particular day, the Sequoyah Volunteer Fire Department was requested to report to a fire in a vacant house. It had been two months since they’d received a call, and the firefighters were ready to go. But by the time they’d finally put out the flames, one firefighter was dead on scene. He had been in the attic, spreading gasoline to make the fire bigger, when he got trapped. Six of his fellow volunteers pled guilty to helping set the fire that killed him.

But this was the City. They generally didn't get bored, and they got paid regardless. Maybe it was about being first on the scene. Maybe it was about being a hero. But the first responders had been different. No single would be hero. Had the investigator been the same? Evie was sure there was some overlap but she couldn't remember across them all.

After Tom had come back and confirmed David's alibi, they both headed back to the car. When Tom asked if she was okay, she looked at him, smiled.

"What? Oh yeah...I mean no." She sighed. "Sorry. I mean yeah, I'm fine" she smiled. "And, no, I don't think there is any problem with David.. I think he's clean... Where's next?"

Tom relaxed a little once Evie snapped out of her haze. He was concerned that she may not have fully recovered from being in Simon's clutches. While Evie was physically fit for work after recovering from the plague. Tom still had to wonder about any mental scars left behind. It couldn't have been easy for Evie to deal with the tortures Simon heaped upon her. Evie talked very little about what happened when she was held by Simon. The Government never even questioned her on the time she was with him. It seemed that her kidnapping had taken a far backseat to the other changes being filed against Simon. This was for the best since Evie wouldn't want the fact that she enjoyed what Simon had done to her publicly known. There was enough people in the world who knew Evie's hidden secret. The last things she needed was for her family and the press to find out. Sometimes it's easier not to say anything. This was one of those times, but it did make Tom think that Evie was still dealing with what happened. It wouldn't be until Evie could piece together the puzzle she was working on in her mind. That she could tell Tom what was making her so thoughtful.

Tom & Evie left the dry cleaners and headed for their next stop. They would rundown each name on the list just to cover their bases. One by one, they visited each man listed as a suspect by the arson investigators. By the time Tom & Evie checked on Gil Warner, the last name on the list. They were thinking that whoever made this list up did so that the police would waste their time. Gil was the oldest man at 55 on the list and the only one who did arson's for profit. He also set fires by remote control using a device not unlike the one being used now. There was only one thing wrong with Gil being a suspect in these current fires. Gil had been hit by a car 3 1/2 weeks ago, before the fires started. Both his legs & arms were in full casts and he couldn't walk let alone set an electronic device to start a fire. Gil clearly wasn't a suspect, but he was helpful. Tom questioned him on remote control devices used to start fires. Gil said such devices were only used for profit fires. He spoke of how normal fire bugs just lite a fire then watch it burn. An electronic device lets someone setup when & where a fire is triggered. This allows them to be miles away and have an alibi when the fire starts. Gil got the feeling that these fires were being set for profit. Tom didn't confirm Gil's beliefs, but why else would Tom be asking about remote control devices? Tom told Gil that they would be in touch if they had anymore questions. He & Evie left Gil's apartment and headed back to the station.

Evie again seemed lost in her thoughts. She was looking out the car window while driving back to the station. It was like she never even saw the buildings, or people they passed. It was like Evie was staring beyond the city and into a void looking for answers. Tom made small talk about the weather and how Los Angeles could get 12 inches of snow tonight. This of course wasn't true. It had been many years since the last snow fall in LA. Tom just said this to see what Evie would say. All that came from her was that sounded nice. Tom knew that Evie had something on her mind. He was sure Evie would tell him once she was ready. Tom would just have to put up with these moments when Evie became lost in her own thoughts. They soon arrived at the station and at their squad room. 45 minutes later, Gregg from the crime lab paid them a visit. He had some news on that device Evie dropped off. Tom & Evie were sitting in Tom's office when Gregg came in. He stopped where Evie was sitting and looked down on her. Gregg's eyes were filled with such puppy love as he looked at Evie. Tom believed he could almost see Gregg's heart beating through his chest like in those cartoons. " You got something Gregg?.......Yo Gregg?.......Earth calling Gregg!? " Tom finally had to start snapping his fingers to break Gregg out of his own thoughts. It did make one wonder just what kind of thoughts Gregg was having about Evie? Gregg knew that Tom & Evie were an item. Yet, when Gregg looked at her. It was like he was seeing a Goddess walk before him. He did everything but knee at her feet. Gregg chuckled while saying he was sorry. He went on to say that the device was home made. The pieces were bought and assembled. Gregg said they were tracking down where the pieces were bought and would have a list in time. He also added that human DNA was found on the inside of the device. This was in the form of a small sample of blood. Gregg guessed that whoever made the device must have cut their finger at some point. A small bit of blood was left inside and enough survived the fire to identify it as human blood. Gregg said it would be possible to match that blood sample to a suspect once one was found.

not too long after Gregg left, Tom decided to call it a day. It was obvious that Evie wasn't really focused on too much of what they were finding at that moment and he thought maybe getting away from the office might let her come to end of whatever she was thinking through. On the way home, Evie said that she might go for a run if Tom was okay cooking again. He agreed. She promised she wouldn't be out too long adding that she wasn't sure she could last too long at the moment. They got back, Evie got changed and then after giving Tom a quick kiss she headed out.

She was barely half way around her run when she ran out of steam. She was surprised at how badly a few weeks away had affected her. She didn't think that she would lose her fitness quite so quickly, but then she couldn't remember the last time she had gone so long without running. And of course there was always the fact that she had been infected - if only a little - with the plague. She called into one of her usual coffee shops breathing hard. She needed some water and a little time to catch her breath.

"Hey Evie. What's up? How come up so... " Evie held up her hand and stopped Nico mid-sentence. Nico was the son of the owner of the coffee shop. He was 19 years old and generally tended to do the early morning and evening shifts in the shop. They always exchanged pleasantries first thing in the morning when Evie and Tom usually called in on their way to work to get fresh coffee. It saved them putting on a pot on the boat.

"Too much good food and not enough exercise." Evie gasped as she opened a refrigerator door and pulled out a chilled bottle of water. She walked up to the counter and handed Nico some money. Up in the corner behind the counter there was a TV on a shelf. The evening news was on. The sound was off, but there was a ticker-tape running along the bottom of the screen and a box of text which gave a headline to the story which was on at any given moment. "Mayor opens new Mall. Derelict land in the east of the City regenerated for the benefit of the community." Evie stared at the screen, not seeing that Nico was holding out her change. Not hearing him say her name. Things were finally starting to click into place for Evie. Then she felt a nudge on her shoulder. She jumped a little and turned around and came face to face with Cody Allen from the Rip Tide.

"You okay?" he asked smiling.

"erm... yeah... Yeah... I just... I gotta go..." she started to head back out of the shop and then stopped and looked back at Cody. "Are you heading back to King Harbour? Can you give me a ride?"

"Sure...but isn't that cheating?"

"You're going to give me a lecture. When was the last time you..."

"Okay okay." Cody picked up a carton of milk and a few minutes later he and Evie were in the red pick-up and heading back to the Harbour. Evie was almost out of the truck before Cody had fully came to a stop. She called out 'thanks' as she ran towards the boat. She jumped onto the deck and ran to the door, charging down the steps and calling out.

"Tom! Tom!" As she reached the bottom of the stairs she practically ran straight into Tom who was clearly perplexed by what was happening. Evie stared up at him wide-eyed, smiling. "I know what the motive is." She moved passed him and over to the table where Tom had the files. She sorted through and pulled out a picture of each location and spread them on the table. "We've been looking for something about the fire setter that would tell us who is he. But its the locations. It is about money... profit. But its not about insurance claims. Look. Every location is derelict; every building is run down; there's nothing around it. The owners all had insurance but it was almost nothing because there was nothing of value there.' Tom was still looking at her waiting for the punchline. "its not about what's there now, but what might be there in the future. These three... the first three fires... the land has already been sold... to the same man! Frank Leeds. He's a property developer. Original owner gets a payout from the insurance company but its nothing big and they still have the hassle of having to clean up the land. Frank Leeds comes along, offers them a little more money... which on top of the insurance payout makes it a useful sum... Leeds then puts a little development into it and then sells it on, making a fortune, particularly if the land opens up access to something else. Leeds may be setting the fires himself, but I don't think so. I think he's got an expert... a pro... who knows how to set the fires." She stared at Tom. Tom stared back, looked at the pictures, thought about what Evie said and then looked back at her.

"Well say something!"

Tom watched as Evie went out for her run. He remembered that empty feeling he got upon finding out she had been infected with the plague. Tom never wanted to know what it was like to live without Evie. They had become partners in every area of their lives. First in the police department and then in their personal lives. They were like peanut butter & jelly. Two items great on their own, but made even better together. Tom watched as Evie disappeared from sight. He turned slowly looking around the harbor. Not far away sat the Riptide. Tom could see Murray on the deck working on his robot. It had just dumped a full can of beer on Nick's lap. Tom laughed while shaking his head. Murray never could that robot to work right. Nick was yelling up a storm as Tom went down into the Wave Dancer. He passed through the living room & dinning area before going down to where the bedrooms & kitchen were. Tom entered the bedroom and changed into a t-shirt & shorts. He came out then went into the kitchen. Tom was planning on making Evie a spicy & sweet chicken stir fry for dinner. As he was cooking, Tom thought about the meeting with Gil and what Gregg had said. It was pretty obvious that someone was using Gil's style of setting fires. Whether that person knew about Gil's injuries wasn't clear and perhaps it didn't matter. After all, the devices were being pulled out after the fire was over. Then the fact that they were used was left out of the official reports. Tom was sure they were close to figuring this out. They just needed a clue to put them headed in the right direction.

Without knowing it, Tom & Evie weren't the only ones poking around on this case. Alyssa & Justin had decided to do some snooping around. They were doing this with the best intentions of course. Alyssa was letting her desire to better herself as a police officer, cloud her judgement. She really had no business getting involved with an MCU case. Alyssa was only a patrol officer and not a detective. Justin was hoping to impress the father of the girl he was dating. He thought that by helping bring down the arsonist. Tom would see that Justin was a good guy and not the enemy. Tom was partly to blame for Justin's reason to help. He could have acted differently when they first met. Instead of acting like a guard dog watching out for Alyssa who could take care of herself. Justin was getting information from inside the fire department while Alyssa was running down suspects in the LAPD database. Word of Justin's questions reached Paul Butler, one of the arson investigators who just happened to be a member of that arson team looking onto the current fires. Butler became a little more worried when he found out that Justin was dating a cop. He knew that Justin and his girlfriend could upset everything with their snooping. Butler called his partner in crime Frank Leeds. The two men agreed to meet later on and decide what should be done with the wannabe detectives.

Tom was looking over the files on the table while dinner was still cooking. He heard the sound of running feet coming down the gangway towards the boat. Tom looked at his watch while thinking Evie cut her run short. He wasn't expecting her for at least another 30 minutes. Tom started for the stairs leading up to the deck when he almost ran into Evie coming down. She really seemed worked up over something. Tom followed Evie over to the table where she laid out her theory on the current case. He listened to everything Evie said and looked at the pictures she placed in front of him. It certainly was something to go on now. Tom told Evie to relax after she asked him to say something. They were still a long way from solving this case. Leeds was the only one gaining from these fires. As far as Tom & Evie knew. Evie pointed out that Leeds must have someone on the inside. "A Pro" As she put it. This fit with the fact that someone inside the arson investigator's office was covering up evidence. Tom asked Evie to run a check on Leeds using their home computer. He wanted to know if Leeds had bought all the fire damage properties involved with this case. Since buying properties wasn't illegal, there should be news of the sales on the internet. Tom & Evie had been gone for almost three weeks on their vacation. These fires started on the night they left for Hawaii.

Tom ran through the backgrounds of the arson investigators he printed up earlier that day. He noticed that Paul Butler had a background in demolitions. Butler had served in the army in Iraq. His specialty was detonating IED's, or improvised explosive devices. Tom figured if Butler could blow them up, he must know how they're made. If he could make a bomb, Butler could make a device to set off a fire. While Evie was doing her search on Leeds, Tom pointed out Butler's background to her. He said that of they could tie Leeds & Butler together. They could close this case before another fire was set.

"Okay. Let me get a quick shower first. You start on the investigators. I'll be 10 minutes." She kissed Tom again and then disappeared downstairs. She was good to her word and was back with Tom barefooted and dressed in one of his LAPD t-shirts within the 10 minutes. She set herself down in front of the computer. When they both had the information they needed they sat at the table putting the case together...one fire at a time. Talking each one through; how they thought it had to have gone down.

"So... We just need to do the full check into both of them. Maybe they were at school together. college. Maybe the lived in the same street. Or... " Evie took a mouthful of food. She felt as if her brain was working again better than it had since they'd come back. "Or maybe Leeds called Butler in for professional advice at some point in the past. Don't developers bring in experts. Get opinions on the best way to do things. To make sure they meet the building codes?"

Evie was right about developers bring in experts. As a developer, Leeds would be involved with every detail on how and what was built on the properties he owned. Leeds would indeed bring in experts to go over any and all details involved with his buildings and the properties surrounding them. A person like Butler could have been brought in as an expert in the area of fire safety and prevention. Butler could be working as a consultant in his free time. This was all very legal and Butler was free to do whatever with his off hours as long as it didn't affect his work. But, this could be the link between Leeds & Butler that Tom & Evie needed. Tom was sure that Leeds would have paid Butler some kind of fee for his work. Any such fee wouldn't be of a large amount. The fees would be paid upon each individual consultation. So if Tom & Evie could find if Butler had taken a large amount of money from Leeds. They would have something to hang over his head. It could give them enough to get a warrant for Butler's DNA which could then be matched to the DNA found by Gregg. " What we need now.......Is Butler's bank records......See if his account has grown by any sizable amounts in the past few weeks. " Tom said while looking at the property list which Leeds had amassed.

Meanwhile.......At Evie's old apartment which was now being used by Alyssa. Justin was telling her all about how these current fires were like those caused by Gil Warner. Alyssa was reading over a wrap sheet on Gil Warner she downloaded from the LAPD database while Justin spoke. He pointed out how Paul Butler was the investigator would busted Gil during his run of paid arson fires. Justin said that it only stood to reason that Butler would know how Gil operated and could reproduce the same style of homemade devices which were found at all the fires. After doing some checking with friends in both the city and county fire departments. Justin knew that devices were found at all the fires and at all those fires, Butler was the first investigator at the scene. Alyssa smiled brightly while saying that Butler would have had the chance to hide the device before his team members arrived. Justin nodded his head in agreement. Alyssa stood up and wrapped her arms around Justin's neck. " Handsome and smart.......You are a keeper. " Alyssa said before placing a kiss upon Justin's lips. She pulled back and told Justin they had to get the goods on Butler. Justin smiled while saying they could set a trap for him, but first they needed to visit Gil Warner. Alyssa was puzzled as to why they needed to see Warner. But she was willing to follow through with Justin's plan.

A short time later........in the hills overlooking Hollywood. Butler pulled his car up just above the famous Hollywood sign. Frank Leeds was already there waiting. The two men climbed from the cars and met in the middle shaking each others hands. Leeds handed Butler an envelope filled with cash. Butler thumbed through it looking pleased. This was another $50,000 dollar payday. Butler was making a nice retirement nest egg for himself, but this meeting wasn't about getting paid. It was about deciding what to do about Justin and his cop girlfriend. Butler asked what Leeds wanted done with the two pestles. " I've spoken with our benefactor.......He suggested that they have an untimely accident.....And it should be very soon. " Leeds said in a calm voice. Butler then said that the arson case was in the hands of the police now. He no longer had control over the fire scenes. Leeds already knew this, but it didn't change the fact that Justin & Alyssa needed dealt with. " It was unfortunate that those homeless people were inside that building......We can't afford anymore mistakes like that. " Leeds said before asking if Butler was able to get the device from the last fire? Butler told Leeds that he did get the device. This was of course a lie. Butler didn't get there before Tom & Evie already had the device. Butler lied because he knew the top man would order his death. This top man was unknown to Butler who always dealt with Leeds. " Find away to deal with Cruz and his girlfriend.........Perhaps you could lead them into a trap?........I like the sound of that.....It's so Hollywood......Don't you think? " Leeds said before he turned and went back to his car. Butler did the same and drove away. Leeds pulled out his cellphone and called his boss. " It's me.......I've instructed Butler on your orders involving Cruz and his girlfriend.......But I believe Butler has failed again......I asked him about getting the last device......He said that he did......But a news friend of mine said the MCU found a device at the last fire scene.......Lieutenant Reed was clearly seen walking out with something in his hand......He and Sergeant Taylor then put something into a plastic bag......I believe this was the triggering device. " Leeds said before listening to what his boss had to say. " Yes........I believe we should cut ties to Butler after he does away the troublesome two......We could make it a triple event......Kill three birds with one stone. " Leeds said with a laugh before hanging up his phone. He started the motor of his car then drove away.

At that same moment in the office of Damien Kane high above the city. Kane placed his cell phone back into his pants pocket. He slowly turned around to face his visitor. " It seems that Butler is no longer useful.......You'll need to take care of him after he takes care of Justin Cruz and his girlfriend. " Kane said while Ron Reed stood up from a chair. " Well that's why you wanted me to come to LA.........I'll get my best man on it.......Oh and.......The Russo brothers will be history in a matter of days........I've talked with them and they think I'm working for them......I'll have them set up for a take down in a day or two. " Ron said with a sly smile on his face. He turned and walked out of Kane's office. Damien Kane knew that once the Russo brothers were out of the way. He could take over the criminal underworld of Los Angeles. Ron Reed was already the muscle he needed. Kane would only need a puppet to play like he was in charge while the real power remained with him. This was the kind of power Kane enjoyed. He carried an image of a well respected businessman while also plotting to become the king of LA's underworld. Life was sweet right now, but Kane believed it could be better.

Evie was looking at Tom, smiling, confident that Leeds and Butler were they guys responsible. She cleared away the dishes while Tom kept looking through their files and the two of them kept chatting over things. When Evie was done, she fetched a cold beer from the refrigerator and went back over to the table. She knew there was nothing more they could do to night. They'd agreed to pay Butler a visit in the morning... See what kind of guy he was, see if they could find an in to getting a warrant. But there was nothing else they could do tonight. Evie handed Tom the beer and then slipped between him and the table, sitting sideways on his lap. Tom was reading something from a page he held in his right hand and his left hand, holding the bottle, slipped naturally around her waist as she sat down. He did it without thinking, still reading. Evie settled herself against him and kissed his neck. Once. Twice. A third time. Her left hand caressed lightly over his chest. It didn't take long for Tom to realize what was happening and he put the paper down, turning his attention to the woman in his lap as she effectively seduced him. They spent a lot of time kissing, slow, soft. Evie moved round on Tom's lap so that she was straddling him and it wasn't long before she was slowly riding his cock. Everything was slow and easy and deliberate. When they had later moved to the shower, things turned a little rougher both when Evie was on her knees in front of Tom and when he had her pushed hard against the shower wall, fucking her from behind as the water broke over them. They slept well in each other's arms.

The following morning Evie got up first and went for a short run. She decided she needed to build up slowly again. Then when she was running a little easier, she'd maybe give Sam and Callen a call. If she was going to defend her MMA title then maybe she should start training early. Maybe defending it wasn't a good idea; she was a known quantity now. It was probably going to be harder this year. She pushed the thought from her mind, telling herself she had plenty of time to decide. By the time she got back, Tom was showered and dressed. Evie got herself sorted pretty quick and it wasn't long before the two of them were heading for the car, with Evie munching on a slice of toast. Tom was telling her he'd made a few calls. There had been a fire at a warehouse overnight. Nothing to do with their investigation, but Butler was the lead investigator. They could go to the warehouse before heading into the office. Evie had agreed as she climbed into the passenger seat.

It was standard procedure for all fires to be investigated by the arson investigator's office. As Tom had said, the fire in the warehouse started with late night workers there. This warehouse wasn't the rundown type which Leeds had been buying up. The warehouse was only a few blocks off the normal route Tom & Evie took to work each day. They arrived at the scene while the cleanup was still going on. Tom & Evie left their car and walked over to where Paul Butler stood filling out paperwork on the hood of his car. He looked up as Tom & Evie greeted him with very friendly hand shakes. They had decided that this wouldn't be a standard question and answer with a suspect. Both believed that Butler was involved with their case up to his neck anyway. Tom openly joked around with Butler making it seem like they just happened by. Evie had spotted a lunch wagon just a short walk down the street. She offered to buy Butler a cup of coffee which he accepted. They all began to walk down the street while Tom asked what started this fire. Butler said he traced the source back to an electrical panel. He added that a breaker went bad and started a fire in the wall which spread to the roof. Butler's first thought when he saw Tom & Evie, was that they were going to question him on the arson's. He quickly felt that they didn't have a clue who was behind the fires. Butler even asked Tom who just shook his head and said they were stumped. Evie brought Butler over his coffee along with one for Tom and one for herself. The three of them stood a few feet from the lunch wagon and talked like old friends. Butler told Evie that after she beat Cahill for the woman's MMA championship. All the big money was riding on her to defend that title again. That wasn't another match even scheduled for months. Contenders were still fighting to see who would get a shot at the new champion. Right now the top contender was inside the LA County Fire Department. Still, Evie had a long time before worrying about that.

The conversion turned to sports and even the weather before Butler thanked Evie for the coffee. He had to get his report down to the office for the chief's approval. Butler dropped the now empty cups into a waste can and walked away. He jumped into his car and drove off. Tom waited until he was out of sight before reaching into his pocket and pulled out a rubber glove. He reached down into the can and carefully pulled the cup from the can. Tom made sure to keep the rubber glove between his hand and the cup at all times. He tossed Evie the keys and told her to go get the car. She did and once Tom was inside, Evie headed for the station. Evie's plan to get Butler's DNA off the cup worked like a charm. It was something she hatched while they drove over to the scene. Tom believed Evie knew every coffee shop & stand in town. It did seem that way sometimes. Tom & Evie ran the cup down to the lab together. Evie asked Gregg to run a DNA check on the cup and then match whatever he got against the DNA found inside the device. Tom & Evie went to the MCU Squad room and waited for Gregg and his results.

Evie slipped her jacket on as she climbed out of the car. The sun in Hawaii had given her a pretty good tan - not too over the top but it looked good in the middle of winter. Still, it wasn't warm enough to go without a jacket at this time of then morning, particularly when Evie was wearing a white sleeveless shirt. Evie followed a few paces behind Tom as they headed to where Butler was standing. Evie spotted the van before they got there and as she was shaking hands an saying hello, she had an idea. She asked both him and Tom if they wanted a coffee and then she led the way over to the lunch wagon. She could hear Tom explaining that they heard the news about the fire on their way in and he thought he'd come and take a look. Make sure that it was nothing to do with their investigation. Butler explained what he'd found and confirmed that this one was definitely an accident. When she rejoined them both with the coffees Butler was talking about the MMA and telling Tom that he was looking forward to seeing Evie fight again.

"That's coincidence. I was only thinking about that this morning. Trying to decide if it was even worth competing this year."

"What? You're kidding right? You have to. Someone in your shape." He waved his hand vaguely up and down in her direction whilst taking a look at her head to toe and back up. Evie smiled.

"Well thanks... but actually I'm in pretty bad shape right now... a least by comparison. Im pretty sure I wouldn't last a round with Cahill at the moment.

"It was a good night. My buddies and me had tickets in the fourth row. You won me a hundred bucks that night.." He didn't then mention how him and his buddies had found a bar after the fight and had spent the rest of the night talking about what they might do on a night with the winner. And the loser. Or both. Had she thought about it, Evie probably could have guessed but she kept smiling and talking lightly about the fight until Butler said he needed to get the report back. Evie watched him discard the cup and then she and Tom watched him walk away. As soon as he was gone Evie turned to say to Tom that they ended to get the cup, but Tom had obviously been thinking the same thing. He had already pulled a glove out of his pocket. Evie just smiled as she caught the keys and finished her own coffee. When she was back at the car, she opened the glove box and pulled out an evidence bag. Tom made sure the cup was secured and Evie drove them back to the station. They left the bag and the coffee cup with Gregg who was more than keen to have it analysed and promised a response as soon as he could.

When they got back to the MMU office, Evie slipped her jacket on the back of her chair and the Glock into the drawer. Then she made fresh coffee and took a cup into Tom. The two of them continued to talk through everything until Gregg came in about 30 minutes after they had left him. He confirmed the match with the sample on the plastic remnant. Evie couldn't help by cry out.

"Yes!" She stood up and gave Greg a kiss and then went and fetched her weapon and her jacket. "Judge Hardcastle will give us a warrant. He hates any kind of public office corruption." Tom picked up his own jacket and the keys for his car and smiled as he walked past Greg who seem fixed to the spot after having being kissed.... even if it was only a quick kiss.

About the same time as Tom and Evie were climbing into Tom's car, Justin Cruz was getting a little quiet time at the station. He had decided to give Butler a call with a view to trying to flush him out. If he could get the evidence on Butler then he could show Tom that he could be trusted with Alyssa. Justin got hold of Butler on his cell phone. He told him that he had worked out what was going on; that he knew all about the plastic triggers and the falsified reports. He told Butler he was going to take it to the MCU. Butler told Justin that he could explain; that it wasn't how it looked. Justin told him that he wanted to meet.

"Meet me at St Margaret's...yeah... the old Catholic church on Fairmont. I'm off at 2.00... Be there by 3.00pm." And with that the call was done.

Just after lunch, Tom and Evie emerged from the LA Superior Courthouse on Grand Avenue with the warrant duly signed tucked away in Tom's pocket. From their they headed to the Wells Fargo Bank just a few block away. Twenty minutes later they had the evidence they wanted. Regular payments made into Butler's bank account just before and after each of the fires. $25000 just before. $25000 a few days after. It was most certainly the smoking gun that they needed.

Tom said nothing when Evie kissed Gregg. He just sat there smiling. Tom remained silent even while passing Gregg who was fix to the floor as if frozen in time. One could guess that Gregg was savoring the feel of Evie's lips against his own. Lost in a sweet moment of pure bliss. The only noise Tom made was a slight chuckle as he walked from his office. Gregg was left there and didn't move for another few minutes. By then, Tom & Evie were long gone. Gregg fixed his lab coat while saying "wow." Kissing Evie was everything Gregg had thought it would be. It was just a short kiss, but it certainly seemed longer to Gregg. While driving to the courthouse, Tom thought about letting Gregg live out his dream. Give him the chance to spend one night with Evie. Tom was sure between him and McWilliams, they could set something up for Gregg. Once Evie was turned on, it didn't matter who's cock was pointed at her. Gregg wasn't a bad looking guy. A bit nerdy perhaps, but not bad looking. And Tom was sure that somewhere in the back of Evie's mind. She had thought about Gregg a time, or two. They soon arrived at the Los Angeles County Superior Courthouse. Tom & Evie went straight to Judge Milton C. Hardcastle's chamber. Old "Hardcase" as Hardcastle was known by was always pleased to see Evie. Being a fellow Yankee's fan in Los Angeles gave them a special bond. Judge Hardcastle looked over the evidence and gladly signed the warrant while Tom & Evie watched. As tough as Hardcastle was on criminals, he was even tougher on public servants gone bad. Tom & Evie thanked the judge before leaving. They walked out of the courthouse with the warrant in Tom's inside coat pocket. They then drove to Butler's bank to get his records. After getting the records Tom drove them to Pink's Hot Dogs for cokes & chilli dogs.

Evie read over the bank records and pointed out each large deposit Butler had made. Public servants don't make that kind of money, even on a consulting fee. Butler had more money in the bank then Tom & Evie had together. This was not normal since Tom & Evie both made more money then Butler did. It wasn't much of a stretch to think that he was dirty. While sitting there, Tom continuously pulled out his cell phone to check for messages. Every since Alyssa moved into Evie's old apartment. She sent her father at least a text if not a call once a day. Normally in the morning, or at least by noon. Today, Tom got no text, or phone call. He was getting worried about Alyssa and his concern was showing.

Evie wiped her mouth on a napkin as they sat on one of wooden tables right next to Pinks. Evie loved the chilli dogs at Pinks.

"There's no way this guy isn't dirty. How many firemen or cops do you know have $150,000 in the bank. Before the first fire there was nothing. So unless he's suddenly found a benefactor..." Evie noticed Tom pull his phone out for about the tenth time that day. "What's wrong? You expecting to hear from someone?" Tom looked at her.

"Alyssa. She normally..."

"New boyfriend? I used to drive Dad crazy not calling any time I stayed over at a guys place. There was always a....erm...distraction." Tom gave a brief smile and then looked back at his phone. Evie closed the butler records and stood up.

"Come on."

"Where are we going?" Tom looked up at Evie.

"Back to the station. You can find Malloy and find out what's happening." Evie headed back to the car, tossing what was left of her hotdog and coke in the trash. Tom was a few paces behind but quickly caught up and climbed into the driver's seat.

Tom drove back to the station. He went to the uniformed officers squad room while Evie headed for their offices. Tom spoke with the watch commander who said Alyssa took a personal day. She had called off last night. Tom left and headed for the MCU squad room. He was beginning to think that Alyssa may have gone shopping today, or she was planning something special for Justin. He couldn't think of another reason why she wasn't at work. Tom looked at his watch as he entered the squad room. It was just after 2 pm. He stopped at Evie's desk and asked if she would like to talk with Justin? Tom was planning on asking him what he knew about Butler and what was up with Alyssa. They left the Central Station and arrived at Station 58 a short time later. It was 2:30 when they climbed from their car. Most of the crew from "A" had already gone, but Justin's partner was just walking to her car. Evie called out to her and they exchanged hellos. Tom told Sara about Alyssa not calling, how he thought he'd check with Justin and make sure that everything was okay. Sara confirmed that Alyssa & Justin were still seeing each other, at least based on how much he kept talking about her. Sara then said that he had left as soon as the shift was done. She said how he was going to see Butler, the arson investigator Sara added that Justin wanted to check something out. From how Justin spoke, it sounded like Alyssa was going with him. Evie spoke up asking if Sara knew where Alyssa & Justin went? "Sure.........Some old church on Fairmont........St. Mary's maybe...or......" Sara said before she was cut off by Evie saying she knew where they were headed. Tom & Evie both thanked Sara before dashing off. Sara was left wondering if her partner had gotten in over his head? Justin was a great guy, but trouble seemed to follow the young man. Not bad trouble, just trouble in general. Tom & Evie jumped into their car and drove off. Evie switched on the lights and siren before requesting backup from dispatch.

A short time later......at St. Margaret's.

Justin waited inside the old church for Butler to arrive. The old doors soon opened and Butler cam inside. He looked around before spotting Justin standing near the alter. Butler slowly approached the young firefighter asking just what this was all about? Justin laughed while shaking his head. " You know damn well what this is all about.......You've the one who has been setting those fires......And I have the proof that will put you away. " Justin was bold in his speech, but he really didn't have the proof that Tom & Evie had. Butler stretched out his hands and said maybe they could work out a deal? He said that the heat was on right now. So a partner could be useful. " You really think I would join you!?.......I'll tell you how this will go down.......You'll turn yourself in and that's the only deal I'm making. " Justin said just before Butler pulled out a pistol. He aimed it at Justin and said there was no way in hell he was turning himself over to the cops. Just then Alyssa appeared with her Glock ready. " It's over Butler!......I'm Officer Alyssa Reed........LAPD......You're under arrest! " Butler took notice of the name which the girl yelled out. He now believed that the meeting with Tom & Evie earlier that day wasn't just by chance. Butler started He was sure this was some kinda of setup. Butler was lowering his weapon when a man dressed from head to toe in black appeared and slugged Alyssa from behind. She dropped to the floor out like a light. " ALYSSA!! " Justin screamed out as he started towards Alyssa's fallen body. Butler however stopped the young man with a well placed shot at his feet. He warned Justin not to move again. The masked man then told Butler he was here to help. He reached down and grabbed Alyssa swinging her limp body over his shoulder. He then suggested that they take the troublesome two down to the basement and set the place on fire. Butler liked how that sounded and ordered Justin to move! Slowly Justin turned and walked to the stairs which lead down to the basement. He couldn't act out now, Alyssa could get hurt.

The unknown man dropped Alyssa down on the floor. Justin glared at him and said he'd pay for that someday. The man just laughed while he tied Justin up first. Alyssa was the next to be tied up while Butler watched. The unknown man told Butler to stay and keep watch. He would return quickly. The man was good to his word, taking less then 2 minutes before coming back to the basement. He brought a couple of large gas cans and started pouring the fuel all over the place. Once the cars were empty. The unknown man pulled out a pack of matches. He lit one before using it to lit the whole pack. He then dropped the matches onto the floor which started a blaze. The man told Justin to die well. He then turned towards Butler and pulled out his own gun. Before Butler could react, the man shot him. Butler dropped to the floor groaning. The unknown man stepped over his body and disappeared up the steps. This old building wouldn't take long before it was raging. Justin began struggling against the ropes which held him. He started yelling out for Alyssa to wake up. They were close to the floor where the good air would be during a fire. Justin knew they had a little time left, but he wondered if anything like the cavalry would arrive before it was too late?

When Tom & Evie arrived at St. Margaret's there was already smoke pouring out of one of the windows at the rear of the building. As the car pulled up, Evie called dispatch and asked for fire engines and paramedics, then she climbed out of the car and chased after Tom. She understood what Tom was doing... and why, but she couldn't help thinking that this was absolutely crazy. They had no idea things were inside but the two of them were literally running into a burning building. A burning derelict building. At the door end of the building, it wasn't too bad. The worst of it was at the alter end. Tom had taken his jacket off and was holding it up over his mouth. Evie followed suit.

There was no sign of anyone in the main body of the church. That meant they either needed to go up into the tower or down into the crypt. Then they heard someone calling from through the heating vents in the floor beneath them. The smoke in the crypt was thick and acrid and brought tears to Evie's eyes almost immediately. Fortunately it didn't take long before they saw what they were looking for. Tom went to Alyssa as Evie went over to Justin who was calling out to them.

It wouldn't take them long to figure out where Justin & Alyssa. Tom checked Alyssa out quickly and then picked her up. He looked back at Evie and saw that she was untying Justin. Tom took Alyssa out. As Evie untied the rope around Justin's wrists, some of the wooden beams began to creak. One fell with a loud crunch making Evie and Justin both duck down some. There was a sound of approaching sirens. Evie kept telling herself to hang on, just a little longer. Just a little longer. Once Justin was free, both he and Evie picked up Butler and manhandled him up the stairs and out into the fresh air. They dropped Butler on the grass outside almost immediately. There was already an ambulance parked up outside and Tom had taken Alyssa straight to it. He stayed with her while the paramedics worked on her. Justin followed him. Evie was doubled over, almost on her knees next to where Butler lay, gasping for air, coughing so hard that she thought she was about to cough her lungs up.

Sara ran over to her holding a breathing set. "Here... sit down... just... hold this up..."

"I'm fine.... just... just need some.. fresh air." Evie looked over towards the ambulance. She saw Tom inside, saw Alyssa sitting up and obviously conscious with an ice pack held against the back of her neck. Justin was stood just outside the back of the truck. "You... you might want to go and save your partner." Sara looked over to the ambulance and then back at Evie, not really understanding. "He's likely to... get hurt if he.... gets too close to his girlfriend's FATHER right now!" Sara suddenly realised and headed over to Justin, pulling him away and telling him that maybe being that close wasn't a good idea.

The fire department guys all moved past Evie as she pushed herself up, still feeling her lungs burning and her eyes stinging, as they began to attack the fire. Evie made her way back to the car. She was sat on the passenger seat with the door open. After a short while, Sara came over and said that Tom was going to go to the hospital with Alyssa - get her checked out but that she should head back to the station. Evie nodded.

Thirty minutes later she was in the bathroom back at the station. She had gotten some fresh clothes from her locker, had changed and was washing up when Steve burst into the washroom. She looked at him and smiled weakly.

"Im fine. Really. And you do know this is the ladies room don't you?" Steve ignored the question. He pulled some paper towels out of the dispensers, wet them under the tap and then looked at Evie. He took her chin and started wiping the tear streaked soot remnants from her face.

"Have you heard from Tom? Is Alyssa okay?" Steve nodded. "They're on their way back here." Evie nodded, relieved that there was no serious injury to Alyssa. No way would Tom have let her out of the hospital if they weren't sure that she was okay and that there was no risk of concussion.

"There is also some lost kid waiting in reception asking after her. He said his partner told him not to go to the hospital so..."

"Justin. Alyssa's boyfriend. Possibly soon to be ex-boyfriend once Tom has torn him a new one. Evie reached up and took the wet paper towel from Steve. She laughed and then coughed. "I think I was probably about 10 years old the last time you washed my face. I'd come home from school after having been in a fight with some boy." Steve laughed. "I remember. I was trying to make sure Dad didn't find out. Unfortunately the kid's mother came round that night and started shouting at Dad about how much of a delinquent you were."

"well... what do you expect. I had you and James as role models." She patted Steve's chest and then headed out to find Jason and let him know that Alyssa was fine, that he was probably going to suffer a little pain but it would pass and he just needed to remember not to argue with the man.

Tom arrived at the station with Alyssa in tow. He found Evie talking with Justin in the reception area. Tom gave Evie a hug after coming up to her. He asked how she was doing? Evie replied that she would survive. Tom smiled then looked at Justin standing there. The young man looked scared, but he remained there in place. " I want you two in the MCU squad room NOW! " Tom said while looking from Justin to Alyssa. They moved out ahead of Tom & Evie who followed just behind. Tom told the young couple to sit somewhere while he made some phone calls. He asked Evie to remain out in the squad with them and bring them in when he was ready. Tom went into his office and closed the door. He then did something Tom never did before. He removed his shoulder holster and laid it on his desk. Justin placed his head into his hands saying Tom was going to kill him. Alyssa told Justin not to be silly. She said her father wouldn't kill him. At least she hoped so. Over the next hour and a half, Tom called the county fire chief and Chief of Police Beck. He told them everything that happened. Alyssa had admitted to working the arson case along with Justin behind her father's back. The county fire chief already had visits from Justin's "A" crew members. Sara had rallied the troops for her partner. Tom was told what Justin's punishment would be and agreed to let Justin know. Chief Beck talked with Alyssa's commanding officer Lieutenant Morales before calling Tom back. The Chief & Morales agreed to let Tom decide Alyssa's punishment. It was his teams investigation which could have been undermined.

Tom sat at his desk still dressed in the clothes he wore into the fire. He still smelled like smoke and his once white shirt was now dirty. Tom waved for Evie to bring Alyssa & Justin in. The young couple entered the office looking like they were taking their final steps before execution. Evie was the last to enter. She closed to door then moved to stand at Tom's right side. " Do you two have any idea how much trouble you could have caused Evie and myself on this case!?......The whole damn thing could have been blown out of the water because you two were going about this like an episode of Scooby Doo!.......Evie and I would have busted Butler before the day was over........We didn't and don't need help from amateur detectives.......You two are damn lucky to be alive right now. " Tom said to both Alyssa & Justin. He then turned his attention to Justin. " Justin......You will be getting an official reprimand and a two day suspension from the county. " Justin just nodded his head. At least he still had his job which was a relief. " Alyssa.......I'll be placing an official reprimand in your file......You'll also get a two day suspension......And you'll spend those days at the police academy under Sergeant McWilliams watchful eye.....He'll make sure you get some extra work to remind you would you could lose if something like this happens again. " Tom leaned back into his chair. He was wiped out after this crazy day. The day however, wasn't over yet.

" Uhmmmm.......Sir?.......Lieutenant?........What about me and Alyssa? " Justin said while reaching over and taking a hold of Alyssa's hand. Tom looked at Justin then to Alyssa. He knew what Justin was asking. Tom rose to his feet and walked around to the front of his desk. " Son.......I have nothing against you dating my daughter........All I ask is that you treat her with respect.......Keep yourself and her out of trouble and stay out of MCU business from now on.......If you can do those things......We'll get along fine. " Tom said before shaking Justin's hand. Alyssa threw her arms around her father's waist and hugged him. Justin then asked about Butler? Tom pulled away from Alyssa saying that he would survive. In fact, Tom & Evie needed to swing by the hospital and talk with Butler. There was still the matter of Leeds to deal with. Tom told Alyssa & Justin to come by the boat later on for dinner. They could talk more over some steaks. The young couple left happy that they were still together and that they both held on to their jobs. Tom finally looked at himself while shaking his head. " You know I don't have another sports coat and pants in my locker.......All I have is jeans.....T-shirts and a light jacket. " Tom told Evie he'd be back in about 10, or 15 minutes. He was going to the locker room for a shower and a quick change. They could then go talk with Butler and see if he'd turn over on Leeds.

When Justin and Alyssa left, Evie stared at Tom for a moment, smirking a little. Tom looked back with an expression which asked "what?".

"You couldn't have taught my Dad a few things about dealing with boyfriends when you were partners? Based on what I've just seen, my teenage years would have been a little more enjoyable if he'd have taken your approach! He certainly never invited any of my boyfriends to come over to the house and talk over steak." Tom just shrugged and then commented on his clothes. Evie headed back to her desk whilst Tom got a shower and got changed into his jeans. In the meantime, Evie did a little background check on Butler. Majored in electronics at the University of Southern California. Joined the Fire Department when he graduated. Served 20 years and made it to station chief. Married. Divorced. No kids. Left the front line after 20 years and went into the investigation branch. Nothing particular stood out. Nothing which would immediately give rise to any concern.

When Tom came back, they headed for the hospital. In some ways Butler didn't tell them anything they didn't already know. He confirmed pretty much all they suspected, and he seemed more than happy to tell them what he knew now he knew that his former partner was willing to get rid of him. He gave Leeds up in a second, but he didn't know who else Leeds was working with. He knew that Leeds was taking instructions from someone else but it was someone Leeds was scared of. Tom and Evie went from the hospital to Leeds Development offices. They made the arrest and brought him back to the station but just as Butler had suggested, they got nothing out of him about who he was working with. Leeds seemed more than willing to take the responsibility for the arson and the subsequent deaths with only Butler beside him in the dock.

A few days after Leeds & Butler were stopped, Kim returned from San Diego. The killer had been caught and Kim spent a lot of time with her family. Kim was thankful for that, but she was glad to get back to LA and work. She missed being around Tom & Evie and told them so. The night that Kim returned, the bodies of the Russo brothers were found. Both had died from a single gunshot wound to the back of their heads. This signaled a change in the power structure of the underworld in Los Angeles. Days later, word on the streets said that Albert "Al" Getz took over the Russo's gang. This was laughable to Tom since he knew Getz. Tom said the man couldn't walk and chew gum at the same time. Let alone run a criminal gang. Tom & Evie both believed that someone was behind the curtain pulling Getz's strings. It was just a matter of time before they found out who that was.

A week later, James came back from his vacation in Downieville. He & Cindy had a great time during his stay. James dropped a bomb after he returned. He called everyone together in the MCU squad room. This meeting included his father & older brother. James announced that he and Cindy were engaged. He said they hadn't set a date yet and they still had details to workout, but Cindy agreed to marry him. Steve just shook his head while saying they were truly living in the end times. Despite Steve's grim humor, everyone congratulated James on his news. A celebration was held at Malone's that Friday night. The happy mood brought on by James's engagement was only surpassed by the on coming Holidays. It was during this time that Tom talked Evie into getting back in frighting shape. This wasn't hard to do once he got Callen & Sam involved. Thanksgiving brought more people into the normal Taylor/Reed family celebration. The gathering was moved from Jack's house where it had been for years. To Rick Reed's home in Bel Air. The holiday season came and went. A new year had come and was bring new challenges for the MCU team. Spring was drawing near and the weather was getting warmer in Los Angeles.

That first full week of March was the beginning of trouble. The likes of which no one on the MCU team had ever seen before. It was a Monday afternoon, Tom & Evie were just sitting down to enjoy their lunch. Not far away from the outdoor cafe where Tom & Evie were sitting, their car was parked. Tom was just getting ready to take a bit of his sandwich when his cellphone went off. Evie sat there shaking her head. There was always something popping up which needed their attention. Tom answered his phone call which was from the LAPD dispatch. They told Tom about a shooting which happened 10 minutes ago and only 6 blocks away from where he was now. Tom sighed while slipping the phone back into his coat. He told Evie they had a shooting to check out. Tom got a bite of his sandwich in before they left. A short time later, Tom & Evie pulled up at the crime scene. They left their car and walked over to an open air market which had been taped off with police crime scene tape. Tom walked up to an officer standing above two Asian males laying dead on the ground. This officer was writing on his note pad when Tom asked what they had? The officer handed Tom two wallets containing ID's which showed these dead man were North Korean Agents. He then pointed to a third man who didn't have any ID. The crime scene techs were already busy taking this man's prints. The officer said witnesses stated the North Koreans were in a shootout with the unknown man and a unidentified woman. The woman left the scene in a red sports car. No plate was seen on the front, or back of that car. Tom showed Evie the ID's from the dead Koreans while the officer spoke. He then told her this was a sure sign of trouble. Tom said they better get back to the office. He expected someone from Washington D.C. would be paying them a visit.

In some ways James' announcement wasn't that much of a surprise. Everyone knew how much time the two of them had been spending together, but no-one was expecting it at that time. Despite Steve's comments, at Malone's James had asked him to be his best man. Evie couldn't resist repeating Steve's end of days comment and even as Steve's arm was wrapping around her neck she asked James if he really understood the meaning of the term 'best' and how she was really sorry that he didn't know anyone better. It took only a few moments before Steve had his sister's arm twisted up behind her back and her pushed down over a table in the mock fight refusing to let her go until she admitted he was 'best'. It was true that Evie wasn't fighting back too hard because she was laughing, but that was when Tom and started with persuading her to train to fight again. A week later Callen and Sam had turned up in the office and a week after that she was flat on her back in the NCIS gym, gasping for breath having been humiliated by both of them. Their exposure of her complete lack of fitness was microscopic. Afterwards they had all conceded that the infection would have had a big impact but the fact she hadn't done that much afterwards had made things worse. Running was the first order of business... Every day... And Sam wanted times -as soon as she had finished each run.

By the time Thanksgiving came around, she was much fitter but still a long way from where she had been just before the fight a year ago. Thanksgiving itself had been a raucous affair which had even involved something of an impromptu swimming gala before they had dinner. Tom and Evie had gone to Rick's the night before. When they'd got up, Evie had taken a swim rather than a run that morning. When she'd finished what Sam had told her she needed to do, Tom had joined her. They were still in the pool when Kim arrived and Kim brought McWilliams with her. Most of his attention was directed on Evie. He had gone into drill sergeant mode though and, with Rick having rustled up a swim suit for Kim, McWilliams had Evie and Kim swimming length trying to beat Tom was was easily quicker than both of them. Everything was done in good humour though and the pool area was filled with laughter, squeals and McWilliams barking orders.

McWilliams presence had an effect on Evie. Not something particularly visible unless you knew what you were looking for. But there was a sexual tension there and a little piece of Evie was scared by him and his ability to control her. Tom knew it and he liked seeing Evie on edge...just a little. Kim knew it and she exploited the situation ...just a little. It was really a consequence of the reception and the weekend in the hotel. Other than an odd comment...an odd glancing touch...nothing happened at Thanksgiving. Tom and McWilliams did make a plan for the day after Christmas Day though.

When Christmas came, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day was at Rick's. The Taylor's were there -except James who went to Cinday's - Alyssa and Justin were there. On Boxing Day morning, Tom and Evie had left, and Evie thought they were going home. Instead, Tom drove them out to McWilliams place. McWilliams had a nice house having inherited some money - enough to buy a house with a pool in a quiet area about 45 minutes out of the City. Kim was at McWilliams and almost as soon as Evie had climbed out of the car still a little surprised to be there, She had walked up to Evie had kissed her, long and hard with both men watching and smiling. They spent the day together, mostly outside by and in the pool, before Tom and Kim left. Evie was Tom's present to McWilliams and McWilliams was part of his present to Evie. Evie was there for three days, whilst Kim stayed with Tom. Neither women spent much time dressed in anything other than a t-shirt. Neither spent that much time on their feet.

And so they moved into the new year. Nothing was ever routine with the work they did, and they moved from one case to another. Two dead North Korean agents was not a common event however, and Evie agreed that as soon as word got out there would be plenty of official interest in their case. They headed back to the office picking up another lunch that they could eat once they were back and waiting for the phone to ring and the suits to arrive.

By the time Tom & Evie reached the Central Station, James & Kim were already hard at work on the shooting. Tom & Evie no sooner walked through the door when James was handing over a file. He said the file was everything they could get on the two dead North Korean agents. It wasn't a lot of information, which was to be expected. The file gave their names and stated both were students attending college in America. The faces of the agents matched those of the so called students. The names however, were slightly different. Tom joked that Evie should get Tom Clancy on the phone. The team seemed to be involved with some kind of international thriller. Kim left her desk and joined the others. She handed Evie a file on the other dead man. Kim said his name was Heinrich Bonn and according to Interpol. Bonn was a member of a terrorist group known as "The Black Underground." Kim said that as terrorist groups go, the black underground was one of the worst. She pointed out that even other terrorist groups won't have anything to do with them. That was never a good sign and certainly not how to start off a work week. " Great.......Spies and terrorists.....I hope nobody had anything important planned for this week.......It seems that we'll all be very busy. " Tom said as he closed to file on the North Korean agents. Kim said that they were running down who the female was with Bonn. " The CS techs have pulled a few pictures from nearby traffic cameras and are running them through NCIC and Interpol.......We should have something on her soon. " Just as those words left Kim's mouth a man appeared at the door leading into the MCU squad room. " Perhaps I can help with that? " The man said as he walked into the room. He carried a briefcase in his left hand. Tom slowly turned upon hearing the unfamiliar voice. " I'm Agent Gerard Thorn of the United States Secret Service. " Thorn showed his ID which he just pulled from his inside coat pocket. Tom leaned over to Evie and said he was expecting someone from the FBI, or CIA. He then introduced himself and the MCU team to Thorn. " Why is the Secret Service involved in two dead spies and one dead terrorist Agent Thorn? " Tom asked while he sat down on the edge of Evie's desk.

Thorn placed his briefcase onto James's desk and opened it. He pulled out a file and handed it over to Tom. " This case that you've all become involved with is much bigger than it appears. " Thorn said before adding that it had grave consequences for the country. He told everyone the story of Walter Loomis. The tail started almost 4 years ago when Loomis worked for The Department of the Treasury. Thorn said Loomis was the man who created the plates used to make US Currency. He went on to say that Loomis was given early retirement with only half the pension promised to him. Thorn said that two years ago Loomis was approached by a member of the black underground. The Government knew this because they kept Loomis under a watchful eye. Thorn then handed out pictures of the woman who met with Loomis. He stated that the Government believes she was Bonn's partner in the shootout with the North Koreans. The woman was identified as Yuko Takagi, a former member of the Yakuza now working for the black underground. Thorn said that the FBI was watching Loomis closely and listened in on his meetings with Yuko. He spoke of how Yuko offered Loomis millions in gold if he would create prefect copies of the plates used to make US money. Loomis agreed as he felt let down by his own Government. Thorn said the plan was to let Loomis make the plates and bust him and any black underground members the FBI could catch. He went on to say that the plates were made, but at the time those plates were to be handed over, Loomis never showed. Thorn said Loomis had found out that the black underground planned on killing him once they got their hands on the plates. He added that Loomis then went on the run, taking the plates with him. Thorn pulled pictures of Walter Loomis from his briefcase and passed them around. The pictures showed Loomis to be an older balding man with glasses. Thorn then told everyone that the plates are prefect copies in every way. He stated that any money printed from those plates would be just as real as the money printed at the US Mints.

Tom sat quietly listening to everything that Thorn said. Once Thorn finished speaking, Tom just shook his head. " That was one hell of a story Agent Thorn.......But there's something wrong with your story. " Tom said as he stood up from Evie's desk. He reached into his pants pocket and pulled out some cash. Tom pealed off a $20 bill and laid it down where he once sat. " Everybody in this room knows that special paper is used to make money.......No matter what plates are used......The money would be worthless without that special paper. " What Tom said made Thorn lower his head. He then admitted that a truck load of that special paper Tom just spoke of was highjacked 6 months ago. Thorn said members of the back underground took the truck after a bloody shootout. Tom picked up his $20 and slipped it back into his pocket. " Now we're getting to the truth. " Tom said while returning to sit on Evie's desk. Just then another man entered the room. He had a smug look on his face as his eyes scanned around the room. This man pulled his ID and announced that he was CIA Agent Daniel Brody. Tom looked over at Evie since they both heard Sam & Callen speak that name before. They both said how Brody acted like the cock of the walk whenever he was around.

Back
Top Bottom