Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Fish out of Water [ Missed & Dev ]

“But there are many gods,” Enhar said, in a vaguely baffled way. The idea of one, single God was as weird to him as the lack of ice-cream might be to Sera. Very odd. What sort of bizarre figure of speech was it? While he didn't pray, polytheism was a part of his culture he would find difficult to deny. It seemed as apparent to him as gravity that there would be powers beyond the living things that he could see and touch.

It amused him to see how fascinated she was by his lower half. She had not yet begun to poke his lower back though, the most ambiguous part of him – where scales and human-like skin mixed and joined. Scales were hard while his skin was almost as soft as hers. Not quite the same, but close enough.

“We have stories about long ago when we could only live in the shallows... I do not know if they are true.” Ancient legends, retold generation after generation – even Enhar was doubtful of their providence. “They say that the god of the deep oceans allowed us to live in his domain. That was many thousands of years ago.” He had some air of telling history, but he was not sure.

“We know about Aphrodite. Those are times when we still talked to humans.” Most merfolk liked warm water and little islands. It would not be a far stretch to imagine that some tribe would have chosen ancient Greece as their domain and rested on the shores of Athens.

Old stories, however, were not the greatest draw right now. He was far more interested in taking Sera's hand in both of his, examining how tiny the webs between her fingers actually were. “Huh,” he mused. “It's a wonder you get anywhere in water...” He didn't mean it unkindly, he was more amazed that humans even bothered. She was about as graceful in water as he was on land, probably. If he wanted to get anywhere, it would be a lot of awkward flapping.

“Your skin is so warm. And almost see through... But a little colour, like the inside of a sea shell.” He was rambling. Again. Oh dear.

((Well, I got eaten by gaming. If you are no longer interested, I understand. ^^;;; ))

Back
Top Bottom