Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Question for Systems Based Roleplayers

Bast

Meteorite
Have you found much success with play by post games in general? If so, how much have you incorporated the system into the actual writing?

I've been toying with an idea that I think might fit well with a PbP or system based roleplay and wanted to hear about some of your experiences.

I played a lot of forum system roleplays based on D&D3.5 and Pathfinder 1e, but not ERP ones, and with multiple players.

I tried DMing 5e ERP twice, and I have to say – I did not enjoy it. I find that Systems are useful when there is more than one character – it guards one from being too kind to players, also helps with dealing with natural human thing of having favourites.

But those things are quite useless when playing 1 on 1, some of the things I did not enjoy:
- You are not going to kill the character, the RP would end, sure you can kill them…but then they regenerate character, and have to start more or less from the beginning. When character dies in party of many – they rejoin them on quest, which is more natural.
- You are playing with single character, as DM you will have to be nice to the character and play it more or less easy-mode.
- Player does not have to compete with anybody, or cooperate with anyone, unless I create a henchman for them.

It really depends. I personally do enjoy it, but it comes with caveats compared to normal rp and even normal system rp. Depending what exactly you and your partners want to get out of it, you'll have to find ways for the party to suffer defeat without being killed. It can also slow things down considerably, especially with more than two people.

What a partner and I have settled on, for example, is to roll combat mostly out of character, and then one of us sums it up in a narrative post, while the actual RP is mainly RP.
Going for something like 5e or similarly indepth systems might also be overkill, again depending on what you want to get out of the game. A bit of randomness in outcomes can also be achieved by simpler systems.

On the other hand, I really like fiddling with rules, so we came up with some lewd rules and worked them into the game, though in general we do play things a bit more fast and loose than I would do in a proper 5e game with multiple people.

Almost all my TTRPG experience has been play-by-post. I'm running a Pathfinder game right now that has been going for over a year, with four other players, and I'm in two or three other games as a player myself. I've been playing in forums for most of the 201X's, but Discord has become the dominant platform lately.

The system is active. I use it as much as I would, playing the same games in another medium. Definitely doesn't move at the pace of face-to-face play, or even chat sessions, but that means plenty of time to coordinate the mechanics between posts. Did you have any specific questions about it?

I've had some good luck with written-format games (PbP or live chat) that both used the system and had erotic elements. Using the system can add a sense of danger and uncertainty to a scenario - especially a system that models social as well as physical conflicts. Will the brave paladin be captured by the forces of the dark lord? Will the demon hunter succumb to the charms of the succubus? Ordinarily, the answer might be "yes, because that's how we get to the sex," but there's something to be said for the excitement of not knowing when or how it might happen. And it can be very nice to struggle to "win" as hard as you can, according to the rules - while knowing that when you finally lose, it's going to lead somewhere sexy and exciting.

I've mostly used DM tools like reaction rolls, morale checks, random encounters then just straight up full system mechanics for my free form rp. Not seriously tried to do a play by post, though I have wanted to do so in the past. Most of my motivation for using ttrpg mechanics in free form has been a desire to be surprised by how the story will develop because I lose interest when too much is road mapped.

Back
Top Bottom