Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Dheltán Tales

Genbu83

Headspace...the final frontier
This thread is for scenes, character insights, and snippets and more world building. It's mostly for my co-author and to give me an excuse to practice between posts or explore other ideas and backstory. Feel free to read and send feedback.

Table of Contents
1) Application
2) Typical Aftermath
3) Will's Ranger Journals Vol 1(pre training)
4) Will's Ranger Journals Vol 2(Training)
5) Will's Ranger Journals Vol 3(Warden Battalion)

Last edited:
Freeman Adventurer's Guild Application New
Two leather gloved fingers applied the gentle pressure needed. The fissure appeared in the center of the wax impression of the royal crest. A gentle crack was audible only to the bearer of the parchement. Suede covered fingers gently unfurled the parchement. Gray eyes took in the content of the document.

-----

Dear Gloria,

It was surprising to hear from you regarding records on a specific individual. Due to the sensitive nature of some of your query I must be selective with disclosure. I am certain you understand the need for discretion. I can confirm that William Raliegh is one and the same to the subject of your formal inquiry. He served dutifully for full term. William has no disciplinary actions on record. He is eligible for both renlistment and is on the special recall roster.

That all being said, Gloria, you must remember that William is not a knight. He's a Ranger and Sapper out of the Warden Battalion. They do not conduct warfare in the ways we did, and they are quite comfortable with limited support and supervision. Wardens in particular are tasked with safegaurding the kingdom in peace as well as in conflict. His talents will be of good use to your organization based on that pedigree alone. Your challenge is to make use of his skills and mindset. I urge you to make certain that our training does not color your judgement.

Please write again Gloria. Gathering and confirming your inquiry required me to reach out to old friends that I've been far too busy to think about, including yourself. I hope you find this satisfactory.

Fond wishes,
Reginald Caulson, Commadant of the Dheltán Academy of Military Science

-----

Corners of the woman's lips upturned for the moment. The fleeting memories of youth, honor, passion, and adventure. As graphite eyes lifted from the parchment, the young man across from her held himself at ease with good posture. This was trained, not practiced. There was a concious effort to maintain good form that was evident in low borns obvious to a trained eye. With this young man, it was not as pronouced, but Captain was of the proper lineage to notice such tells.

Brown hair, thick and did not take kindly
to being combed contrasted the young man's bright blue eyes. Coming from such a rough unit, it was surprising to see such a kempt face. Being clean shaven only made him look younger still. His linen trousers and shirt were clean and stain free. The green dublet was thicker than was popular in had been repaired mulitiple times, suggesting it doubled as a gambeson. The man's boots and belt had a comfortable worn look to them. Though the odd brass inlays and heal caught her warriors eye. William seemed quite comfortable despite being in the hot seat.

"This letter verifies your credentials enough for me", Captain Joylene's experienced soprano addressed the potential new employee. A factual, but limited interested expression hung evident from her brows. Surprisingly the young man did not interject. There was a confindent smile shining in his eyes. William seemed to be fairly relaxed about the situation. His gaze upon her awaiting commetary or inquiry sure to follow such an opening.

"You're manners suprise me Sapper Raliegh", a hint of respect mixed into the authoritive tone.

Will paused befor answering, giving the veteran commander enough to see the he was aware of his impulse control. "With respect, unless adventurers care about rank, William or Will is fine. I don't have rank or title here Dame Captain". That purchasesed a raised eyebrow from Joylene's stoic demeanor. She had not expected actual courtesy.

"You're well spoken, where'd you learn courtesy ranger?"

"My Mother is a Judicator, she made sure to supplement my education growing up. Takes a minute to remember at times", came the even baritone reply. Joylene's perception of the man's discomfort was more with the situation than her station. Will made no notes on her gender or history when he sought employment two weeks prior. It was honestly a bit too good to be true, rangers post war mostly turned to mercenary work or took employ as game tenders for the nobility.

"Speaking of times, and you are free to be candid with your response, why adventuring as a post service profession", inquired the War Matron. To emphasize the point and take measure of the man; Gloria Joylen set the vellium on her desk and rested a thoughtful chin on her left suede clad hand.

Not lacking in timing or the instigating the word games nobles played. A prompt explanation was delivered,"I want the best chance to do some good. War's over and Warden work is mostly Garrison duty now. I don't want bloodmoney, or to watch a nobles deer and shoot it for him. Hunting poachers is fun when it's not some starving family, but more often than not it is. I figure that the skills I have honed can do some good and keep me fed. I don't need much to be honest, but I'm not interested in typical sellsword work."

Mentally taken aback a bit. Joylene feigned thoughfulness to recover. Most ranger vets took well to mercernary life and becomming private brigands. Perhaps the Warden and Marshall Battalions just attracted a different type of character... they did pursue different threats than most conventional troops.

"I take it you prefer simple vices", tested the night guiding the conversation to potential barring from employ.

"If by vice you mean and occassional ale or glass of wine", answered the ranger,"but if you want to know what my flaw is Dame Captain we can cut to the chase, unless I missed the cue noting the end of candid exchange."

There was a bit of fire in the younger man, that was something Joylene appreciated. The better adventures tended to have that sort of drive. "Might I guess an issue with temperance", Joylene probed and steepled her fingers in their gloves sitting up to show the man full attention.

William's brows furrowed and gave Joylene plenty of confirmation. Despite needing another heavy hitter, she didn't need some insubordinate new hire ignoring her orders. She did provide the azured eyed young man a moment to explain. The intensity in his eyes suggested he caught the judgement in her eyes.

"I developed a temper, so in a way you are correct Dame Captain. I was a scholary as a boy", the baritone shifted from that casual assuredness to something akin to forlorn anger,"I lost my sister to the fey. I learned that knowing things is meaningless without the power to act on that knowledge. I enlisted the first summer I was eligible. Ranger training helped me cultivate that anger and killer instinct. My motivation has always been Mina, the monsters got her. I've got no problem going after them...I don't let things happen to kids if I can help it. Warden Battalion built up a lot of that anger and pointed it slavers, warlocks, and monsters of flesh or not. A farmer can't pay mercinaries to avenge his family, but he may ask an adventurer. I can live with being that adventure. So I'm not really looking for work Dame Captain, I'm looking to hunt monsters and protect people. I will do other work, but I've been blooded and I'm not one let good people come to harm..."

"That sounds a bit noble for a temper"

"I hadn't finished Damn Captain"

"By all means, continue."

"I'm also a Ranger, some niceities are not necessary. Like beds, forks, and letting somebody pick a fight without obliging."

"So you don't play well with others"

"Dame Captain I play just fine. I simple am used to settlings issues quick and directly as possible. I don't have benefit of supply lines or the patience for my coworkers trying to show off."

"That sounds like a problem with authority William."

"I assure you it's an issue with incompetance and arrogance, Dame Captain. I tend to defer to the recognized expert or desigated authority. I just won't play around with lives on the line. As an adventurer I don't expect to be rescued or relieved. I'll live with choices I make to keep my comrades alive and ensure the success of the job. Just don't ask me to throw away lives and I won't question your motives."

"My motives Mister Raliegh?"

"You're reputation proceeds you Dame Captain."

"And what have you heard about the War Matron?"

"You're an excellent Tactician who should be on the Advisory Council. You have a mind for diplomacy and warfare. My command thought well of you. Rangers typically don't sing the praises of Knights, we're a different tool for the kingdom."

"Fair enough, though speaking of Reputation, might I inquire about your Moniker?"

"The Raptor Sapper?"

"Yes, I find you far more catlike than avian in your mannerisms."

"Perhaps under your employ, Dame Captain"

"And why that condition Ranger?"

"Because that is a question for a comrade Dame Captain."

Joylene sat back pleasntly surprised by the conversation. Rough, but honest. Modest morals, and aware of his flaws. He'd work. She though as she analyzed his vocal manuevers. A small sigh escaped the plain lips adding to the show of deliberation.

"Very well, explain the moniker", Joylene ordered as she pulled a contract from her desk. The ranger only broke into smile when he saw her dip the quill in her inkbottle.

"I've come to realise that many creature that fancies itself an alpha predator fails to look up. That's my prefered tactic. Even without proper high ground. The whistling of my cloak and javelins have a high pitch in the right conditions. Sounds a bit like a bird of prey's screach and dive. I made Sapper fairly early on, so it the pairing stuck", William was somewhat amused by having a Legacy.

"And your exploits", Joylene asked keeping her eyes down to hide the little joy in truth.

"I only care about the people I've saved. Mina wouldn't wanted me to get a big head", came a slightly unexpected taciturn response.

The Captain looked up and met the ranger's eyes. She'd have to learn how to use that motivation effectively and it's limits.

"Very well Mister Raliegh welcome to the Freeman Associated Adventuring Guild, please bear in mind as this is a Crown endorsed service, any service obligations you have in reserve are considered extended for the first 2 years of your employ and subject to review each following year henceforth. Please read this contract, sign should you agree, then you may head downstairs to see about securing yourself some local lodging."

"Thank you Dame Captain"

"Captain will do William"

"Understood...Captain"

"And one more thing William"

"I expect honesty and transparency should we discuss your actions"

"I don't bluff or scheme Captain."

"You don't appear to be the type William, goodnight"

Last edited:
Kindred Spirit New
"Honestly Will, you're too much of a liability", Tess explained as her party departed without him. The ranger kept his expression stoic.

"I warned you about the bandits well before the Whistle set us up for the ambush, so evidence points to the contrary", Will flatly stated. He unlsung his traveling bag and set it near his leather and brass boots. This was not the first conversation like this the ranger had at the guild. "Or would you prefer that we were captured and sold into slavery", Will continued. The bard raised her hand to stop the arguement.

"You burnt down a section of forest. To flush out the ambush", anger rising in the nymph blooded songstress's voice. "it was only 10 bandits", she argued.

"That you saw", countered the ranger,"and it was a box canyon full of manzanita. It was overdue for a burn and you know it."

Verdant eyes blinked at his words,"how many were there", she asked with a bit of a seeth. Will remained stoic as he shielded her for another truth. It was bad enough her friend had planned to turn traitor and for a pitiful sum.

"More than 10"

"Go to hell Will"

"If I do, I'll be sure to look for Whistle, he got off light"

The bard, fencer, and sorceror left. They were down a rogue and a ranger, but had planned only simple quests till they back on their feet. Like most of the parties, many of these adventures were untested and only partially trained. Taking on a group of band brigands allied with a slave trading guild had not gone the way they planned. The weren't ready to leave the fairy tale, and do the real work.

-----

Again Will found himself looking for a party, but first he'd get a drink and bite. The Freeman Adventurer's Association had a few clever features, by design and attesting to the War Matron's keen mind for logistics. As well as experience as a commander.

The guild hall main floor doubled as a tavern and quartermaster. Primarilly the Asscociates could get meals of modest fair at price, weak ale and wine, and some seasonal items. The guild offset costs by taking the donations of local shops and farms of their less than market quality produce. The same markets and farms became exempt from a portion of their crown taxes by supplying the guild with vittles basic supply. In turn a number of the basic quests run by the guild were public works projects that in turn paid hungry or not full time adventures with meal vouchers. Unofficially the Freeman Association was run as a reserve unit of the Crown Gaurd. Joylene used this arrangement to avoid retirement and continue to serve the Kingdom until she was able to pursue grander service.

The Associations Quartermaster set up was a fairly novel set up as well. Several of the apprentices of major guilds and colleges could sell their wares to the Association to give them their first real work orders and experience with meeting quality and time constraints. This gave adventures access to basic equipment at reasonable costs and allowed the Association to agt as a staging point for conscription and militia services in a emergency. On top of that if Joylene could get this model of Adventuring Guild to take off it would allow for franchise and a secondary path of advancement for common citizens to pursue careers outside of guilds, study, and state service.

Finally the Quartermaster had subshops that were run by Vendors who paid a premium or by Adventurers who offered discounts to their fellows and a cut the the Association. Right now it was mostly magic trinkets, potions, and stalls akin to pawn brokers, but eventually this could be a market all unto itself. The Freeman Adventurer's Association was building into a sub economy and that was by design. Joylene just had to keep up their reputation and their profit margin. As it stood The War Matron had solved a lot of logistical issues an organization of this type ran into.

It was funny how he thought about this as he returned to the hall after these long quests that seemed all too much like patrols and missions. If the Captain could attract more serious talent or foster her garden a bit, she was had makings of an impressive force. Then again she wasn't called the War Matron for nothing.

Will made small talk with the potion monger. He brought her some of sage and yarrow as she requested. She was always quite cheerful, if not seeming a bit on the shy side. Still he liked polite expert, she had a tendency to tell him of useful medicinal plants where he traveled. He tried to bring her samples as he could. Good advice had been worth the pleasantries more than once. That golden haired half elf was one of the consistantly friendly faces and he she was more or less one of in guild shops he made a point to utilize.

The other shop frequented by the ranger happened to be the apprentice smiths. They were a good source of javelin and arrow heads, and the occassional small arm that the brunette man needed. Normally he picked up three standard needle leaf blade javelins and tested two to three of the smiths experiments to give them feedback. So far they seemed to be onto something with the spiral javelins he was helping them refine. Designed to be used with an alatyl or augmented by air spells; these new prototypes flew far and spun like a top. The ranger liked how deep the drilled into targets. Once perfected they'd likely become a staple as well. Apparently they were trying to reduce the size of the javelines to be used as crossbow bolts. He'd try them in a few months.

Finally Will, would head the the bar to sit and complete his ritual. Pulling two silver from his pouch and set them for his favorite cook to see. A plate of grilled and glazed meats, some of the seasonal vegetables, and water would be what he'd treat himself with. He didn't drink alone especially when reflecting on issues.

-----

Hunting the brigands on the southern roads ended up uncovering a trafficking a smuggling ring. Not exactly something a guild comprised of rookie adventurers was equiped to handle. Hell one of the rookies tried to sell out his companions and get in on the action.

Whistle, the gnome opportunist, had been scouting the major bandit encampment. He hadn't realised that Will had caste Predatory Adaptation to enhance his hearing and gather intel on the knaves. Whistle enamoured by the high profits from smuggling and slaving offered up a pretty bard, curvy fencer, a sorceror and ranger that'd make good stock for gladiator pits, the ranger would also make good labor stock. Whistle only wanted 10% and in on the operation as a show of good faith.

The ranger dealt with that situation. Most of the bandits the bandits didn't make it it to custody. There would be no way for 4 adventurers, only two being combat capable to pull security and safetly deliver thirty or so hostiles looking to escape. Will was fine with the handful he delivered to the Regional Constable's Office. Hopefully that little prick Whistle was doing hard labor and getting a taste of what he tried to sell his so called friends into. The ringleader Nic Sveltsen was a marked man. Will got a lot of info out of him, and if the brass of his orginization didn't have him dealt with, the ranger would see him in 5 years.

----

The plate slid in front of the ranger along with a water skin and a mug of amber ale. The ranger immediately looked up to brotest, and met the gaze of the tavern keep holding a mug and pulling up a stool.

"Yer not alone kid", Gerald Flint's surprising low tenor voice informed Will already versed in this arguement. Well over six feet tall, bald by way a of shaving and covered in tattoos, the man did not look the part of a retired wizard. Unless one had served with battle mage before. the only wizardly thing about the aged muscular man was his magnificient beard that reached his navel, and the way his tattoos glowed as he worked with mana.

"Fair enough fireworks", acknowledge the younger veteran to the older and raised a glass. The Ale wasn't strong, but it was the principle of drinking alone often lead to brooding alone, and that was dangerous with certain skillsets.

"Mind your manners wildflower", reminded the senior clacking their wooden tankards,"you have to serve with me to give me that kind of grief, and I'm getting a bit tired of telling you that." There was false malice in the older man's voice. They'd had similar conversations over the last 6 or so months. The both to a fair draugh and the younger man offered a part of his meal. Old respects were still valued even if not needed.

"So what happened to Whistle? I reckon that's why Tess and the others don't want you with you on this one", opened the older man for the younger's rational.

Normally Will would shrug off the question and let the curious sort know it was a difference in experience and tactics. Try to save face for these rookies who often thought of adventuring as some fairy tale and everyone gets rich. Gerald was a beast from the same sort of world William was. Gerald he could talk to. Gerald at least understood Will made hard calls so they didn't have to.

"The little bastard decided that he could live happier and easier by selling us out to the Collared Rose."

"The slavers", asked the warmage pouring the rest of his drink into the younger man's. Will's blue eye's met Geralds brown and he gave a single serious nod.

"He hadn't realised I heard his whole pitch", noted the ranger as he took another drink. "And no, I'm sure it wasn't a ruse. The purple haired whelp went fair off script. We were scouting. He strolled in explained where Tess, Florin, and Erika were and pointed out where I should have been. He offered us up for 1 on 10 and to be a new talent broker. That's not a ploy. That's treachery."

Many of the wizard's questions had be answered as he took a sautéd mushroom from the offered plate. He nodded to encourage the younger man to go on. He'd likely have not taken the chance either. Whistle had bitched a lot about not getting any of the high paying quests and bragged about know who the best fences were in three cities.

"I had to work fast. Set the camp on fire and dropped every non slave I came across. Whistle and the "Gardener" were dragged three days to a regional constable. I think they still breath. Tess...doesn't believe me...and so I'm here."
"What about Joylene Kid", Gerald asked, though certain of that proceeding. There came the srug from the young man's cloaked shoulders.

"Par for the match",
Will said moving to the poultry and thinking. In a fair faxcimily of Captain Gloria Joylene's voice, the ranger responded.

"William, while you have dealt with a threat. In this case a traitor and branch of an established criminal organization. Once again I must weight the good you do with such brash action against the damage you cause and the strife that the other associates bear from your methods. Hence, I can only pay you a sixth of the original reward due to having to cover the loss of the smuggled goods destroyed in that fire.", Will mimicked the regal and exasperated sigh of the captian,"honestly William, restraint and tact would serve you well on these quests you're ideal for. And yes I understand your actions, ranger, but I can't let them go unchecked...", Will cleared his throat, then partook of the water skin. "More or less like that, so I won't have enoug for a downpayment on your guest cottage", he explained and continued the meal. He still had his room and rent for another few weeks.

"Kid I hope I'm here to see her catch you doing that", the wizard suppressed laugh and put a hand in the younger one's Breath Circle. He reassuredly squeezed the young man's shoulder. "Don't worry I won't sell it out from under you. Just try and make it happen in the next year."

"Don't worry, I'll tell the battle axe that this old codger at the bar taught me a spell to boss my coworkers around", Will replied in Gerald's voice with a wry Grin. Animal mimcry was a skill for hunting. Rangers took it to another level. The color faded from the War Mages face.

"That's not funny kid"

Will's Ranger Jounal Volume 1 New
A simple leather bound jounal sits upright in the weather sealed trunk. There are several like it, others of larger sizes and and colors. Along with a Ranger Handbook, Atlas, Arcane Primer, and collection of essays on different animals and plants; the only eye catching aspect is the blue ribbon with a "1" embroidered in it sticks out. Each journal has a similar bookmark attached to it. The books along with an arming sword, large knife, cooking pot, clothes and small haversack fill the majority of the trunk. The treasures of a man not near his home enough to carry much.

Dear Mom,

Some of these entries will be in letter format to be clear with my thoughts and feelings I didn't have the words or courage to share. Part of me is sorry that I did not go for the apprenticeship with the alchemist or the judge. I share your love of learning and mind for detail. You know as well as I that I can't forget that night from two years ago. That is the core of the issue. Maybe if I were more like Dad...

It doesn't matter. I know that I don't have the skills or knowledge needed to protect my family. I have to change that. I need to change that. I can't look in the mirror or at Mathew without seeing Mina's eyes and my failure as the oldest sibling. I know you and Dad don't blame me, but the guilt and weakness are driving me mad. Volunteering with the town gaurd has only let me know how little I am able to do. If I ever hope to have a family or a good night's sleep I have to be more.

Tomorrow I take my tests and hopefully can become a man at arms or paige to one of the knight companies. Maybe I can be something more than the bookish son, who failed to save his little sister.

One day you'll read this and maybe I've found a measure of peace after gaining the strength needed to be the man I wasn't.

Love,
William

Dear Mom,

It's been a week consisting of physical assessement and testing. Thanks to Dad put me through and the drilling from Hahn, Fritz, and Mortimer I at least qualified to make it the man at arms program. With my written exams, they are bushing me to go into the logistical or engineering corp. I have two more assessments tomorrow. Arcane knowledge and potential. That was a possibility I had not considered, but I'll keep an open mind.

Love,
William

Dear Dad,

I am waiting to be interviewed tomorrow. About five score of my fellow recruits and I have magical potential on a scale that is useful in warfare. A quarter of us are educated enough to potentially be invinted to attend the mage at arms curriculum. It's a good opportunity, but I don't know if that path is going to fill this burning hole in my chest.

Don't tell Matthew. I don't want to dissapoint him if I don't become some sort of wizard. I'll write soon.

Your son,
Will

Dear Mom,

I am not interested in way of the mage at arms. I'm smart enough for it, and it is a way to pursue power. It doesn't even out thopgh. The contract is 15 years and after that I'm still on a tight leash. Power that is controlled is what I am after. Yes the allure of magic is tempting, but I came to the military to find a way to make myself better. Becomming a weapon or tool to scare countries and rebels isn't the man Mina would want me to become. As tempting as the path is I've got a couple days to figure out what Is the best way to serve. It just may not be a Path at the college of military science.

Love,
William

Dear Dad,

I spoke with a rough sort of man. He makes Gustav seem like a well behaved puppy by comparison. He saw my weakness and my shame, and told me that I'm not going to find a way to smoother the cold hate in my chest.

There's is hope though; that shame, anger, sadness, and hate, can be used to temper me into something that takes the pain to the monsters that hurt people.

I want that Dad, more than anything. It won't bring Mina back, but I'm happy to burn away my weekness and go after the things that hurt innocent people.

Mom may not understand, but I hope you do. One day you'll read my journals and we can maybe find a way to make ammends. Maybe I'm selfish, but I have to do this. Mina's screams haunt my nights and I don't want to live another day not being able to do something about it.

Tomorrow I'm leaving the Academy of Military Science to follow Ser Oswald Ryan Jaeger to be made into a Ranger. I'll write a proper letter, as training is a two to three year process and I'm going to have limited opportunity to mail. Ser Oz as he likes to be called is encouraging me to keep up my writing as it can serve as feedback to the program. Naturally he's going to remove sensitive information.

I hope you understand,
Will

The next several entries have removed likely going over the route and location of ranger training program sites along with other candidates. The pages were expertly removed, and the book carefully stitched back together a few letters and lists were left in there place. This occurs throughout the journals volumes.

Traveling boots-why are they soft soled?
Traveling Cloak
Traveling Clothes two sets
Large Field Knife
Rope
Twine
Water Skin
Pot with Rations
-cornmeal
-saltpork
-dried soup
-cheese
-dried and ground fruit and vegetble bricks
Haversack
Spare Journals
Spare Writing implements
Soap
Needle

A note:

"Do not get used to such finery. You need to be presentable as we walk to collect each candidate I'm looking into. Pick up a staff and pay attention to what I teach you as we move. Hate me if you have to, but you volunteered to be something a knight can't dream of and a wizard can't be bothered with. You mind your manners some of these folk are high born and not of the working sort. Write letters to your loved ones. Death in training happens. Rangers have a tough lot. -Oz"

Dear Mom,

If you get this letter there is not much to say. I'm dead due to something in training or I was not able to recover from wounds sustained in battle.

There is not a lot to say. I did this for Mina. I will never forget that night. And I hope that if you read this, I have at least spilled the blood of beasts that prey on people. I'll never get her back, but I'm going to try to balance the ledger.

I hope you know I love you and that I want to be the son who followed in his wise mother's footsteps. I just can't be that son anymore. I hope you can love this one if you can forgive him for going his own way.

Love,
William

Dear Dad,

There are times I wish I was more like you. Thankfully I at least got my determination from you. I find it funny that I think about the things you say and the things you do as I find myself farther away. I am sorry I was not strong enough in the past. Thank you for paving the way and supporting me in figuring out how to find my way as a man. Understand Dad, that I respect you and learned a lot from you. Learning from Mom was just more obvious, but you gave up and gave a lot to us. I never forgot that.

If you are reading this, I'm sorry. I failed somewhere along the way. I was going down that path that would have made me the man I needed to be. I had hoped to return home some day and tell you, "I got it...Mina's been avenged." I hoped to shake your hand and be the man that could look you in the eye. Maybe one day have a home with family to bring you and mom to. It's a faraway dream.

Maybe this letter never gets read, because it's not needed. I just hope I can become what is necessary to do some good, in Mina's Memory.

I love you Dad,
Will

Dear Songbird,

I know you won't be able to read this letter. I was still teaching you to read before that monster came. Don't worry I've got a book of stories with me and I'm memorising a whole lot in case my book doesn't make the trip.

I think about you every day. I write this in case I've fallen and those who find this note... they know where I'm at on the other side. I'm always going to look for you. I can't wait to hear your silly songs, laughter, read you stories and sneak you treats. I'll find you Songbird and things will be good again. I promise to read in "voices"

Love,
"Silly Billy"

Dear Mattie,

You may not understand this, but I'm gone because I still miss Mina. I'm learning to hunt and fight monsters. I write this letter because monster hunters are supposed to stay in touch with their families.

So if you are reading this, or it's being read to you, I don't know where isam. Hopefully, I'm off being the hero you think I am. Eitherway I don't know when I'm going to see you next. So I need you to be my hero and take care of Mom and Dad while I'm away.

Do me a favor and plant the sunflowers, lilacs, and camameille in the garden for me until I get back home. You can have my treasure that is hidden under the oak tree with "a big nose" if you do.

Be good, I hope to tell you my stories someday.

Love,
"Brave Sir Liam"

Dear Mathew,

There's a lot I wanted to teach you but did not get the chance. Hopefully you're old enough to understand that sometimes a man just has to go out into the world after something happens and figure out if he can deal with it or come to terms.

When you were little Mina was taken by some sort of monster. I suspect the fey, likely a bandersnatch or boggart. It attacked while Dad was on the road, Mom was at a late night council meeting auditing for the big tax visit. I was studying and you two were asleep. Mina's bed was closest to the window...I got my first scars jumping through the widow and chasing he screams into the night...my failure to catch up and save her still makes it hard to sleep.

If you are reading this. Just know I dedicated my life to hunting the monsters like that. I hope you forgive me for leaving. I always held out hope I'd find the bastard and avenge her, and maybe if I am honest, maybe...just maybe I'd find her. I don't care about being the hero of the games we played. I just want to get her home where she belongs. Odds are if this letter is in your hand. I'm truely not around. I hope I avenged her, or saved people from enough monsters to sleep finally. I hope you've grown big and strong and you have a boat load of kids to show Mom and Dad.

I hope you are happy and that's all I can wish for you Mattie. I'm sorry I couldn't stay and play hero. Just know that you and Mina are why I had to go and find out how to hunt and hurt these things. I am content with this choice and I'm sorry it took me away from you.

Love,
Will

Dear Oz,

I write and function with either hand, you son of a bitch. I have taken this lesson to heart. Strike to win.

You baited me, you got me angry, you burned me with my inadequacy. You taught me that there is risk and pain associated with every decision and to be ready to live with those truths.
My right hand will heal, but I'll watch you like a hawk. I'll figure out your quirks and ticks. I'll hold this anger and let it be a motivator for the pain to come. One day, I'll understand you. I'll understand myself and what it takes to knock that all knowing smirk off your face. I know you're going to read this like all my other notes and letters. I look at it two ways. You're going to make things harder on me and I'll be a better ranger, and it'll cost you a tooth or two. Or, you're going to prove yourself a braggert and out of spite I'll train hard enough to balance our ledger. I don't care if it takes years, I'll burn away this weakness and make you my first prey.

Vengefuly,
William Arthur Raliegh

Behind the bundle of letters is one more with the royal ranger seal of a hawk carrying a bow and crossed axes is broken...

Dear Will,

You hopefully never had to deliver those letters. I saw the fight in your eyes the first time we met. You don't have it in you to quit. While you'd make a fine war wizard with those smarts. You and I know you'd be waisted waiting to deploy. You could have be a man at arms and maybe figured out a way to become a cavalier or knight. Though I don't think convention war would have suited that drive.

Your parents gave you an apt name. You're stubborn in the ways that get this job done. You're not the biggest, the fastest(despite that wind trick may lead others to believe), or the smartest. You are by far the toughest and most dedicated Ranger I've ever tempered.

I made myself your second greatest foe for the last two years. That hate so focused in your eyes brings me a shameful joy. You're a good man and I've taught you to weaponize your anger and reinforce it with your resolve. You're going to find monsters will, I promise you. It's going to build that hate furnace into a volcano. I'm sorry that is the life though.

Some day young man, you're going to get tired of chasing nightmares. That anger I directed will be a curse when you have enough of our life. Seek out a decent adventuring groups. There's decent folk who need that temper focused on the things that brought you to my attention.

I hope you get the chance to reread this letter and have found the monster lives behind your eyes. I expect great things of you Ranger and I know you'll understand my methods one day even if hate me the first few times you read this.

-Oz

PS: I told you ale is the best chaser for blood. First ranger to strike me in years. Well played.

The rest of volume one details plants, ranger knowledge, idiums, trivia about a wide variety of subjects. An individual training schedule and plethora of other notes and drawings that practically make it a small field guide or primer for scouting. The last page is the list of books filled with fables and songs.

Last edited:
Will's Ranger Journal Volume 2 New
The second leather bound journal is similar in make to he first. It's wear is different though. It appears to be. Have excessive abrating on the spine from being held open. The corners are rounded as if taken out of a bag many times. There is slight water damage and it smells faintly of soot and soil. As with the first volume select pages have been removed and the journal has been stitched back together.

We are being conditioned constantly. Our basic schedule is designed get us used to sleeping anywhere for short periods and rapidly waking ready for action. We are kept in small groups and constantly rotate schedules as we train

The day is broken into five 4 hour segments. The basic break down for 3 of the 5 sections is as follows. 1 hour for rest or nutrition, 1 hour for instruction, 1 hour duties or drill, 1 hour for maintenace. The other two sections are adjusted for training or recovery needs even so, we rarely sleep more than 3 hours at a time. Mostly we have the goal of sleeping 4 hours a day.

The constant shifting gets under one's skin. Stress is a constant, but we get used to it. There have been a couple drop outs, mostly we getting used to being uncomfortable and still making something happen even at the edges of our limits.
H

We train in shifting combat disciplines multiple times a day. We are expected to be competent archers with an emphasis on precision shots. We need to be able to win hand to hand combat, but we aren't duelists.
I like the large knives. Since I am abidextrous short multi-purpose weapons work well with me. A weapon that works as a tool, can be handy in either hands, and is easy to throw suit me. I find throwing knives, javelins, and explosives are suiting my tastes. Swords are a fine, but get caught close spaces. Bows tie up both hands. I'll train with all the tools we have and learn how to contend with them and the weapons of our foes.

We are learning things that are vicious, fast, underhanded, or whatever it takes to win. Not just against the humans. We aren't expected to be heroes of classic tales. We are expected to do what it takes as we will be operating alone or in small groups without support. The mindset of any fight is your last hits hard and that we need win fast and any cost. We won't have an army behind us most of the time.

I think I am starting to get it. We are taught a lot and we figure out what works for us. While we can do well enough to fill ranks or use what we find. It's not just a survival mindset, it applies to combat. Gain knowledge and experience. Observe the situation. Apply what you can to accomplish mission.

We are going to start learning magic next week. I look forward to the options it opens.

I'm going to get closer to becoming something able to chase those nightmares.

We are learning proper spells and elemental channeling. We can't talk about it, but it's important to note.

Our spells are versatile and each battalion has a few additional ones. The interesting thing is that the seem to be nature based origin but applied with a wizard mindset. Most of us can use 2-3 a day, but it'll grow with time and experience. After Training I'm told that more senior ranger are closer to 5-7. The important thing is the use them to maximum affect.

Channeling is odd. Take wild magic. Apply emotional triggers, elemental affinity, and presence. It's almost like sorcery. I can't talk to much about it. I can say mana capacity, inteligence, creativity increase the usefulness. Though if a ranger is not mindful, they won't realise that channeling can be a quick way to burn through power and options. Honestly, figuring out how to use this casting style might be the key to dealing with a lot of threats.

I'm going to find a way to make use of this tool.

Many entries are removed likely getting too close to divulging secrets or likely offering insights that have been part of improving the quality of ranger cadets in the last six years.

I have made friends with a gnome, Jayson Calistor. He calls himself Jace the Mace. Learning how they deal with threats has been enlightening. They are used to being weaker or outclassed by the things that prey upon them. I can relate and will definitely want to learn all I can from him.

Jace is something of an artificier and is pretty knowledgeable in regards to alchemy. Gnomes fight foes much larger than themselves. So using mechanical and chemical advantages is as part of their cultural identity as swords and calvary is to humans, archery and magecraft is to elves, axes and heavy armor to dwarves and so forth.

Jace makes up for his lack of reach with a variety of complex of weapons that are hard to predict.

I've been tutoring him in lore and observation. If his marks raise, then he'll free time increase my understanding of mechanical enginering.

In truth, I'd like to learn to upscale a couple of his devices and weapons to us at my scale.

I'm working with Jayson on a couple things. Iam competant ar an archer by ranger standards, I just don't care for the limits bow places upon me. Jayson is thinks that if we look into the principles of aerodynamics we can improve how I deploy javelins, darts, and thowing knives.

After that, we are working on an idea to have a slightly more versatile tool that can be easily tailored to slaying different foes.

We just need to get our hands on an aspellium.

It looks like we're getting close to the end of our first phase of training. Those of us who are still here can be called rangers, but we are likely going to move on to our specialty batallions based on our aptitudes and the instructors recommendations. I am aiming, for Warden or Marshall...though I know the Scouts have their eye on me.

Jace gave me a prototype of the Achlemical flail as a present for my goal of Warden Battalion. He's going Marshall. I lookforward to opportunities to work with him, but we know there are different things we want to accomplish. My friend wants to bring peace to the civilized territories within the kingdom...and I want to find the monsters that skulk in the shadows.

In the binding of the journal after the last page is an envolope. It lacks a proper seal but a drawn Thunderbird clutching a hammer and scroll covers the flap.

Dear Jace,

Since you're likely going to be focused on criminals and the like, I expect you'll outlive me. This letter is some instruction for what should occur if I fall.

First run my Journals through with Master Scribes Harris and Styker. They will remove an sensitive information and secrets. Ask them to remove my sketches, designs, and theories. Anything not deemed a secret is yours as thanks for collaborating and obviously for friendship. Anything you can patent is yours as you see fit. Hopefully I came up with a good idea or two.

Next make sure to collect my family's death stipend. Take half to pay for a comfortable trip. Whatever weapons are left give to my brother Mathew. I'd take it as a favor if you made sure he could use them well enough. Give my traveling gear to my father Malcom. Evalyn, my mother should get my journals and letters. If anything else survives me help her decide what to do with it.

Thank you for everything,
Will

Back
Top Bottom