Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Wrath of the Righteous - Chapter One [NSFW] (ShadowPlay x Zazutobi)

Saphira was surprised by the sudden movement of the dwarf. But, just like her Ebiko she acted fast. She tried to get between her white furred friend and the undead monster and then she swung her sword.

The only reason why her sword hit the creature was because of his flat-footed status. And most of the powerful blow were diverted by the monster's undead skin, making Saphira deal minimal damage. Even if she wanted to shout a warning to the others in the antechamber, she decided not to. In battle she could only speak infernal because of her curse. Doing so in a temple of Torag, just seemed wrong.

It's flat footed until it has a chance to act. And it won't be able to make AoO until then. So Ebiko would be able to move back to get out of reach if needed.
Also what I tried to confer, was that it has damage reduction.

[ 1d20+6 = 26 natural 20 ] Initiative Saphira
[ 1d20+6 = 16 ] Initiative Undead

[ 1d20+5 = 13 ] Attack vs. undead [ 1d6+2 = 8 ] Damage Piercing

Ebiko backed away to get some distance away from the creature, getting behind Saphira before letting out a warning. "Undead!"Then it dawned on her to call out saying "Get the holy water!"Holy water was a bane to undead as fire was to mushroom creatures. She cast a jolt at the creature hoping the others would understand what she meant.

Jolt Attack Roll:18+2-4=16
Jolt Damage Roll:3

Ebiko's jolt did damage to the creature. And their combined damage to it, seemed to have some effect on the monster.

The monster slashed out against Saphira with its claws twice. One of the claws hit the tiefling hard and cut deep (4 slashing damage).

In the antechamber behind them, Anevia heard the call for help and the words about the holy water. She moved as quickly as she could to the fountain and scooped holy water up in her hands.

Saphira, seeing that her weapon did little damage to the monster, let go of her sword and began casting a spell. The undead tried to hit her as her attention were focussed at casting, but her shield and armor protected her. The spell was charged in her hand, but she failed to lay her hand on the undead.

[ 1d20+4 = 24 natural 201 ] Claw vs. Saphira [ 1d4+1 = 4 ] Damage Slashing
[ 1d20+4 = 10 ] Critical confirmation
[ 1d20+4 = 7 ] Claw vs. Saphira [ 1d4+1 = 5 ] Damage Slashing
[ 1d20+4 = 18 ] AoO by the undead
[ 1d20+5 = 6 natural one1 ] Touch attack - cure light wounds [ 1d8+1 = 2 ] Damage positive

Between her and Saphira the undead was moving a bit slower. Even still it lashed out at Saphira with unnatural force. Hearing the splashing behind her Ebiko focused on the task in front of her. Casting another jolt trying to wear it down enough to try and finish it off with the holy water.

Jolt Attack Roll:13+2-4=11
Jolt Damage Roll:3

Saphira tried once again to hit with the charged spell her hand held. But the undead was simply too fast and agile for her to hit.

Likewise Ebiko's magic failed to hit it's target.

Luckily for the two, Avenia arrived, on her damaged leg and threw her scoop of holy water into the face of the undead monster. That did certainly damage the creature, but there was still some way to go to get it down for good.

The monster slashed it's claws against Saphira again, but her shield saved her this time.

The creature seemed to be very damaged. It was barely holding it's limbs together through sheer willpower and necromantic magic.

[ 1d20+5 = 7 ] Touch attack - cure light wounds [ 1d8+1 = 6 ] Positive damage
[ 1d20+6 = 12 ] Touch attack - holy water [ 2d4 = 5 ] Positive damage

[ 1d20+4 = 20 ] Claw vs Saphira [ 1d4+1 = 4 ] Damage Slashing
[ 1d20+4 = 13 ] Claw vs Saphira [ 1d4+1 = 2 ] Damage Slashing

The Holy water did some damage but it wasnt down for good. Still they had did quite a bit of damage and it seemed to be on its last legs. Ebiko decided to follow in Anevia's example and go over to the basin to get another handful of holy water to splash at the undead dwarf. Trying to bring some noble end to this undead denizen of the shrine.

Saphira would have commented on that the third time is the charm. But still she was reserved about speaking abyssal in this temple. Instead she tried her best to hit the undead.

And the third time was her lucky time. She hit the monster square in its face with the full force of the healing spell. The positive energy burned the undead and removing the last bits of animating necromantic powers from the corpse.

The former dwarf priest fell to the ground as nothing but a sack of dried out bones.

Saphira breathed heavily. "That was a little too close for comfort." She said and called out. "Everything alright in here. Just a little problem with the formerly dead."

Ebiko returned with the handful of holy water and let it spill on the ground as she let out a sigh of relief. The undead creature was dead so there was some relief. Still, for an undead to happen inside a temple to Torag was strange. The fact there was underground caves at all was strange really. "Have everyone take five and recover for a bit. We'll get some rest then continue on here in a bit."Ebiko said to Anevia. After the shock of falling down the crevice and everything they had been going non stop. She figured a breather couldnt hurt to recover a bit before they continued into the dark deep unknown.

Ebiko checked the undead dwarf seeing if there was any identifier or perhaps loot. Surely Torag wouldnt mind them taking what they earned from clearing an undead from his shrine right?

Aravashnial, the blind elf that were among the survivors came into the shrine. "I've heard of creatures like this one before. Devout worshipers that are cursed by their gods for despicable atrocities and sins against their own religion. Some of them turn hateful and cruel and turn into undead monsters called huecuva. I guess that was what happened to this poor soul."

Saphira sat down and rested. She had been hit twice now and felt the aches of her wounds. She'd need to attend to it, and she cast a cure light spell on herself.

This shrine was always humble, and little treasure could be found within save for that on the huecuva's body. A pouch on its belt contained two potions of cure light wounds, and on one withered hand it wore a knotted gold ring. The priest's masterwork warhammer were lying dusty on the ground, long forgotten.

[ 1d8+1 = 4 ] Cure light wounds - damage healed

Ebiko took one of the potions of cure light wounds and handed the other to Saphira figuring it fair since they might both need them. "Here, you'll need one as much as I will going forward." she said. As for the masterwork warhammer she looked to Saphira saying "Is this something you want to use? I can but since you're taking the frontline figure id ask you first." Ebiko said.

Saphira accepted the potion with a smile. "Thank you very much." She said. She sounded genuinely happy by the gesture. Having been a tiefling all her life, had learned her to fend for herself, and not to rely on other people. Especially not in a place where everyone were eyeing you with suspicion of being in league with the enemy.

She looked at the hammer. It seemed awfully heavy. It was a beautiful piece of art, but still quite heavy. "I guess I will stay with using my sword. It's more agile and I think I'm better off with it than this heavy thing. So if you can use it, please do."

Ebiko was a Kitsune, to her she was a stranger in a strange land. Tieflings, Dwarves, Humans, all were oddities to her as she was to all of them. Passing off the potion she nodded and then took the gold ring as well tossing it to the Tiefling. Only fair since she had taken the broach from earlier. Lastly she took up the warhammer looking it over before setting it into her belt opposite of her rapier.

Sighing she shook her head and looked back to the others before speaking so only Saphira could hear her. "I didnt want to mention it with them. But I honestly dont know our chances of getting out of here. I mean, the undead guy has been here for how long? And no one else has been here since.:

Saphira caught what Ebiko had tossed in her direction. She looked at it and then at the kitsune, her eyes betraying the question she wanted to pose, For me? But she kept silent.

As the kitsune woman came close and spoke in a hushed voice, meant only for Saphira, their conversation took a more serious direction. "It's something I was trying to avoid addressing." She said with a sigh. "There were a campsite back earlier, even if it was old. It wasn't as old and forgotten as this place. So someone have been down here. But even if we manage to get back what will greet us?" She said and looked at Ebiko with serious eyes. "You saw it yourself. There was a Balor in the city. Terendelev was killed. Will we face a city fully taken over by demons?" She shuttered at the thought. "I might look like one of them, but that thought is terrifying to me. I'm not sure that it will be something we will be able to survive."

Ebiko nodded saying "I dont think it'll be pretty if we get back up to the surface. But this is the beating heart of the Mendevian defense line. Im sure they're giving as good as they got up there. Who knows, we might come out of here like heroes at the last possible moment."IT was wishful thinking at best and insanity at worse. But sometimes wishful thoughts were all they had to push on. Taking a deep breath Ebiko reached up and slapped her cheeks getting her game face back on.

"Alright, lets get back too it. We wont get anywhere just idling about."Ebiko said getting the group together and ready to go from their respite.

Saphira nodded. "Maybe we will, my friend. I hope we will." She wasn't convinced, and doubted that her white furred friend were as convinced of her own words as she tried to sound. She hefted her shield and her blade and stood. "Yes. Let's get this underway." She looked at the three others that had rested. Avenia seemed to have been in contemplative prayer most of the time in the temple. Horgus had scowled, being less than helpful and the blind elf had just relaxed his legs.

The three got to their feet and followed Ebiko and Saphira.

Back in the tunnel, they resumed their trek into the darkness.

Back into the tunnel they returned to the junction and continued on the path they had been following originally.

They continued down the tunnel from the junction. The path led them further into the unknown.

For about three quarters of an hour, they traversed the tunnel. Long enough for Saphira's demonic hide to dissipate. She would now have to rely on her leather armor for protection.

Finally the path widened and led them into a room. Stone figures were carved into the walls of this cavern. Each depicted a different crusader clad in armor and wielding weapons, but their carved stone features contained expressions of sadness.

Coming to the room they could look about seeing stone figures of crusaders carved into the walls. The odd thing was it wasnt just generic crusaders. Each one was unique and supported different armor and weapons. Like individuals being remembered rather than just memories of a crusade. But crusader statues was more fitting for Kenebras as Ebiko looked around the room trying to see if anything else jumped out at her.

darkmantle.jpg

Before they could even begin to examine the statues, two creatures swooped down on them from the darkness above them. It were two strange, dark creatures, with tentacles and a large central mouth. Almost like a cave dwelling octopus.

Roll Initiative

[ 1d20+7 = 15 ] Initiative Avenia
[ 1d20+6 = 16 ] Initiative Saphira
[ 1d20+6 = 10 ] Initiative Darkmantle

"By Desna's dirty dreams!"Ebiko exclaimed as the strange creatures swooped down from above. Was the underdark this truly filled with strange creatures she had never seen? The Kitsune would need to reevaluate that idea of trying to make contact with the Drow for her research.

Ebiko Initiative Roll:10+2=12

Saphira would try to engage one of the creatures. She didn't like that her demonhide protection was gone, but she figured she was the bet protected of the party. Anevia would draw her bow and get into position to attack the creatures.

[ 1d20+5 = 10 ] Atteck Saphira [ 1d6+2 = 7 ] Damage Piercieng

Ebiko raised her hand towards the creature that Saphira had attacked figuring it best to focus down one enemy at a time rather than get overwhelmed. With a gesture and a word a jolt of energy shot out of her hand towards the creature.

Jolt Attack roll:17+3-4=16
Damage Roll:4

Saphira moved up to one of the creatures and tried to strike it with her short sword. The tough leathery skin of the monster was too thick for her blade to penetrate and it failed to harm the beast.

Ebiko's magic had much better luck as it hit and fried the beast. But it kept flapping and coming at Saphira.

Though they looked dangerous and fear inducing. The monsters weren't fast. The one that swooped towards Saphira used all it's attention to get to her, while the other tried to grab her with its tentacles. Saphira blocked the attack with her shield, lucking out this time.

ShadowPlay: [ 1d20+3 = 13 ] Darkmantle Slam [ 1d4 = 4 ] Crushing damage

Saphira would use her study target and then attack the one that had just attacked her.

Avenia would try to use rapid shot to fire at the one that Ebiko had hit.

ShadowPlay: [ 1d20+6 = 9] Attack Saphira [ 1d6+3 = 7 ] Damage Piercing
ShadowPlay: [ 1d20+4 = 11 ] Attack Avenia (rapid shot - point blank) [ 1d6+1 = 6 ] Damage Piercing
ShadowPlay: [ 1d20+4 = 15 ] Attack Avenia (rapid shot - point blank) [ 1d6+1 = 6 ] Damage Piercing

With a whispered word and a gesture with her free hand a dart of pure force would shoot out in a beeline towards the damaged creature. Ebiko would unleash a cast of magic missile towards the creature that she and Anevia had damaged bringing her down to two more spells that day. A costly move but if she could finish off the creature it was a worthy price.

Magic Missile Damage:2

While Saphira's sword failed to damage the flying creatures that were trying to strangle her with their tentacles. Avenia's arrow hit the creature that Ebiko had already damaged. The monster was visibly hurt, but it kept on fighting.

Ebiko's spell however, managed to bring it down. Leaving only two adversaries for the party.

The remaining creature tried again to attack Saphira. But it missed her yet again. She sent silent thanks to the craftsman that had made her shield.

[ 1d20+3 = 9 ] Darkmantle Slam [ 1d4 = 2 ] Crushing damage

Both Avenia and Saphira would try the old and testet method of attacking their opponent yet again.
[ 1d20+6 = 14 ] Attack Saphira [ 1d6+3 = 4 ] Damage Piercing
[ 1d20+2 = 15 ] Attack Avenia (point blank - shooting into melee) [ 1d6+1 = 2 ] Damage Piercing

Back
Top Bottom