Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How to Date a Dragon [Frogger & Chippairaptor]

Chippairaptor

UMP-45's Husband

af7f2a49b8a2e4705ca7f7afe2cde7d1320d3089.jpg

Name: Andrew O'Shay
About: A quiet young man who doesn't speak much, but always listens. Andrew is uncomfortable in crowds and large groups, and is happiest playing a game or reading a book (both of which he has a sizable collection). He is a college dropout who had been studying to be a vet. He currently works at a pet store.
Other information:
  • Can't see well without his glasses, so he wears them at all times.
  • His heritage includes Welsh, Sottish, and Irish.
  • On good terms with his mother; hasn't spoken to his father in years.
  • Although he loves animals, Andrew is afraid of rats.
  • Can't handle spicy food.

Andrew glanced down at his phone. He was nervous. His luck with dating apps had never been good. Well, dating in general, really. But his coworker had been insistent on trying this new app called DemiLove. The goal of the app was interspecies dating.

The world has become much more interesting place in the last few years. World governments had revealed that nonhuman races had existed for as long as mankind had, and had lived in hiding for centuries. It was only now that agreements had been made for demihumans and other races to integrate into human society. There had been issues, of course, but progress had been made in interspecies relations.

Sitting on a park bench, Andrew looked like he was dressed for vacation: a bright Hawaiian shirt and denim shorts. His body language betrayed his nervousness, though. He took a breath. The woman he'd matched with had seemed nice. A bit aloof, but kind. But maybe her personality in person was different?

Regardless, he was here now where the two of them had agreed to meet. The idea for the date was simple: get some coffee and see how it went from there. Andrew hoped it went well, but he had his doubts.

f56d141a-481b-4102-98bb-7e2fe81aff46_workspace_images_617509923982572163_5a19a49f51eeb1ecc12c3637bdebfddd.png

Name: Neve Kingsley

About: A young woman who gives off an air of frigidity, and is also one of few words. Neve is very independent, and enjoys working with her hands. As of right now Neve is working with a technical company. It isn't ideal, but she enjoys what she does -and she's good at it. Neve likes to work on her own, but oftentimes that makes her self-conscious in new situations.

Other Information:
-Neve is an ice dragon, which means others often get cold near her.
-Her heritage is of a royal lineage.
-As a child of twelve, Neve has several older siblings. It is her duty to guide and look after the younger.
-Neve is particularly fond of cats.
-Loves all kinds of food.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Neve glanced down at her phone for the fifth time in the past three minutes or so, anxiety spiraling in the pit of her stomach as she realized it was time to meet the stranger she has been matched with. Why is she doing this again? It is not too late to withdraw now… but it is incredibly rude to leave the man waiting without letting him know.

A soft sigh left her lips, small flurries fluttering about in the air before melting in the summer heat. Unfortunately this is the worst time of year for an ice dragon. It feels nice enough outside, but she always feels as though she is melting… which, luckily, is not true. Her dragon fire helps negate the actuality. Neve rolled her shoulders in an attempt to relax, icy blue eyes drinking in the sight of vibrant green. It is very lovely today.

In a neat, albeit simple white dress, Neve was a breathtaking sight that drew many eyes. It did not help light rippled over white scales, or that she gives off an air of frigidity, despite the warm weather. A hand brushed some silvery-white hair back, her wings tightening against her back. Hopefully… this will go well? Not like the last time.

“Are you Andrew?” Neve asked, standing before a man waiting on the park bench. He seems rather… ordinary, with black hair and nice green eyes. Why is he wearing a Hawaiian shirt, though? Neve shifted from one foot to the other, feeling overly conscious. Perhaps she should have dressed more casually…?

Andrew sensed a chill in the air before the woman spoke. However, being as tightly wound as he was, he still jumped a little. He did his best to smile, but it didn't hide his nervousness. "Y-Yes, that's me," he answered. He cleared his throat. "Neve, I assume?"

The young man suddenly felt underdressed. He didn't like wearing formal clothing, to the point that he would joke that he would be buried in one of his beloved shirts. But he was awestruck at his date's appearance. Something about how she carried herself had an air of nobility, and even though she wasn't dressed extravagantly, Neve somehow managed to make a simple white dress into something more. His eyes were drawn to the scales on her body, which gleamed in the light.

Automatically Andrew's brain began comparing them to some of the reptiles he worked with at the store. Very snake-like, but different as well. "It's nice to meet you in person." He smiled, offering a hand to shake.

“Yes,” Neve replied, dipping her chin in a nod while brushing hair back. It is a nervous habit, one she never could quite overcome. Icy blue eyes drank in the features and lines of his face, observing his expression. “It is… nice to meet you, too,” she spoke at great length, after coming to the conclusion the sentiment was sincere.

Neve took a step forward to give him her hand, scales coming into contact with soft, vulnerable mortal flesh. Each and every single one was cold as ice. “I… apologize. In advance. I am always cold.” More than one has others complained over the temperature of her skin… and, unfortunately, she cannot do much about it. Neve was quick to let go of his hand, to make it a little less awkward on his behalf -and perhaps hers, too. To feel the heat of his skin seeping into her scales was… strange, to say the least.

“Are you ready to go?” Neve asked next, once she has cleared her throat. “Do you have someplace in mind?”

Andrew was surprised at how cold Neve was, especially on a day like this. At her question, he nodded. "I know this little coffee place called Jambo," he said. "It's somewhere I go a lot. The owners are some good folks, the coffee isn't bad, and it's nice and quiet." He gestured, wanting to lead the way.

He was still nervous, but doing his best to smile had calmed him down a little bit. Something from his therapy about even half-smiling could trick your body into feeling more at ease, he remembered. But Andrew was a tad surprised that Neve seemed anxious as well. It was a little hard for him to imagine that a dragon, of all people, felt nervous about a date.

Well, I suppose we have more in common as people than I assumed, he thought. Then again, this likely wasn't Neve's true form. Being in a human body might make her feel a bit more vulnerable. It wouldn't surprise Andrew. As they walked he tried to strike up conversation. "So, uh, DemiLove. How long have you been using it?"

Jambo? Is that the place Rubye raves about?

Neve thought it over for a moment or two, just to tuck the question away for later. It is not overly important. “Alright.” Is this just as awkward for him as it is for her? Neve pulled in a deep breath in an attempt to calm her nerves, releasing it as a puff of cold, frosty air. Her eyes were drawn to two children running past, a ghost of a smile tugging at the corners of her lips.

“I believe I have been using it for… three months or so?” Neve ventured a guess, after considering it. “Mother suggested I make a profile on the app, and… well, my sisters apparently agreed with her sentiments.” To think they would go so far as to make a profile for her without her knowledge still baffles her to this day… and yet, she had no argument as to why she should not date.

“What about you? How long have you been using it?” A small cafe nestled among bigger buildings came into view, three tables stationed outside to offer customers the option of enjoying sunny days. The scent of coffee and espresso invaded Neve’s nose on a wayward breeze, along with hazelnut, vanilla, and… is that strawberry? Neve stopped beside him at the red light, cars and trucks whizzing past and ruffling their hair.

"My coworker said I should try it out," Andrew said. "He pestered me about it for a few weeks before I gave in. I think I started a month or so ago?" He rubbed his chin. "Never had much luck with dating apps. Too many scammers and women promoting their OnlyNut pages. But people on DemiLove are more genuine, in my experience." So Neve had family? That was nice.

Andrew opened the door up and was hit in the face with wonderful scents of coffee and other treats. The interior of the coffee shop was definitely not what one would expect. The entire place was themed after an African safari, complete with animal ambiance and traditional Swahili music. Behind the counter was a short, petite woman--perhaps about four feet tall--with somewhat pointed ears. Andrew knew who it was immediately. "Hey, Diana."

"Jambo!" the woman greeted, smiling sweetly. "Surprised to see you here with someone." Diana seemed more than a little curious, but was holding herself back. Even among Ardcine, or "hill folk", she was friendly and forward, seemingly wanting to be friends with everyone. "What'll it be today?"

"I'll have the usual," Andrew answered. Diana nodded and turned to Neve.

"And what'll it be for you?"

Dragons have keen senses -hearing, sight, smell. It is a fact few know about, and a fact dragons do not widely advertise. It can be misconstrued as a strength… or as a weakness, depending on the eyes of the beholder. Neve’s senses were sent into a state of shock upon entering the humble coffee shop, but luckily it did not take her too terribly long to get used to the music, to the scents.

“I understand,” Neve told Andrew. “I had quite a few men inquire if I would be interested in a purely physical relationship, and I had to turn them down.” Contempt dripped into the last words. It can be revolting how men only think with their libidos, and not with their hearts or minds. Neve studied the young woman talking to Andrew from behind the counter, keeping her silence. It appears they know each other. Does he come here often? And is she elven? Neve can vaguely smell oak and pine underneath the brewed coffee.

A hand lifted to brush threads of silvery-white back, icy blue eyes reading over the menu high up on the wall behind “Diana”. Neve cleared her throat, a snowflake fluttering about in the air before melting. “May I have a… cinnamon dolce latte? No whipped cream, please.” As strange as it might be, Neve likes caramel and cinnamon flavors.

"One iced mocha with extra chocolate, and one cinnamon dolce latte," Diana chirped. Andrew took out his card and paid. The coffee shop was comfortable and familiar to him. Most of the time he would get his drink and find a cozy spot in the reading nook in the back, but that probably wasn't a good idea for a first date. Diana moved back and forth behind the counter, humming quietly to herself. It was a little difficult for Andrew to get a read on Neve, but he hoped he'd made a good choice.

"People are weird," he said. "Then again, I'm one to talk." Andrew glanced around the cafe. There weren't too many people in the building, which he was thankful for. Being in busy places made him anxious, and that was the last thing he wanted right now. Diana came back to the counter with their drinks, and Andrew took them with a quiet thanks. He handed Neve her drink. "How about you pick where we sit?"

Iced? Andrew prefers iced coffee? Or is it because it is warm outside? Neve is very curious, and yet she could not ask on the off-chance it comes across as rude. “Thank you for paying. You did not have to,” she told him instead, offering him the smallest of smiles. Most men pay in order to portray chivalry, but she gets the feeling Andrew is not putting on an act -which is refreshing. “Yes, people are very weird.” Neve knows for a fact this does not apply just to humans, but to all species. “Are you? One to talk?” Not sure what to make of his words, Neve tilted her head in a way that was… curious, and almost puppy-like.

“Oh. Ah.” Neve accepted the drink, enjoying the heat of it slowly seeping into her scales. “How about towards the back?” she threw out as an option. It is not too busy, but to know each other better they need peace and quiet… right? Neve lead the way, white scales rippling under the lights up above. “I did not see the books back here earlier.” This could be a very cozy place to visit again. Neve enjoys curling up with coffee and a good book.

Andrew wouldn't expect a dragon, of all people, to have the mannerisms of a puppy. However he chuckled. "Let's just say I'm an oddball, as far as humans go," he said. At least, he'd always felt like the odd one out. Never comfortable with other people, always happiest on his own, or, better yet, with animals. Andrew followed behind Neve. The side of him that was fascinated with biology wanted to ask so many questions about dragons. However, that probably wasn't the best idea for a first date.

"Yeah, the reading nook is part of why I come here a lot," Andrew said. "Jambo is cozy, it's quiet, it's rarely ever crowded." He waited for Neve to pick a seat before sitting down himself. So far, so good. No faux pas. Andrew was intent on keeping it that way. He'd had more than one first date go bad because he'd said or done something wrong.

He took a sip from his drink. It was comforting on a hot day. Andrew was quiet for a moment, trying to come up with something to say. He didn't want to talk about work or money on a first date. There had been more than one girl who had only been interested in dating men who had money and connections. Probably for the best that those hadn't worked out. One woman had turned him down simply because he worked with animals. "So you have family, yes? Can you tell me about them?"

“I may have to keep it in mind when I have some free time,” Neve mentioned, though more to herself than to him. “I like quiet.” In the past, dragons were feared, which is part of the reason the species went into hiding so many years ago. Many dragons still lurk in the shadows of society, despite the treaty. It is… unfortunately, entirely too easy to be misunderstood. Neve knows how it is. Taking a seat near the books, Neve blew gently on her drink before taking a sip. Cinnamon washed over her tongue, warm and welcoming. A content left her lips shortly after, surprisingly without frost or snowflakes. “Nice…” she murmured, linking a leg over the other.

How best to engage in conversation? With a human? Neve doubt the usual subjects of discussion between dragons will interest Andrew… though then again, he did mention he was “odd”. An uncomfortable feeling seized in her back, making Neve fight against the impulse to grimace. Hold it in. You need to endure it for longer, if you are to socialize among humans.

“Yes,” she replied with a nod. “I do, and I can… if you like.” Neve leaned forward to take another sip of her latte, unaware of the view she was offering. “I am one of twelve. My mother likes to take a proactive role in our love lives, apparently, while Father tries to deter her… not that it works. I look after the younger ones, when time allows it. I have them come over often, so we can have dinner.” Often they spend the night, either crashing in her spare bedroom or on the couch. “Ah… May I ask a rather… unusual question?”

In an uncharacteristic display of nerves, Neve bit her lip. “I am not used to… having my wings closed for too long. Do you care if I stretch them?”

Andrew was more than a little surprised. A family of twelve? He had a feeling that he wouldn't last very long. Eleven brothers and sisters... I could barely stand Haley when we were growing up, he thought. He and his sister had fought like cats and dogs before she'd went away to college. They were on better terms now, but their mother had joked that one of them would kill the other before they grew up. "That's... wow. I don't know what I'd do with so many siblings," he said. "I just have a sister. Well, one biological sister and a few step-siblings since our mom remarried."

Neve seemed uncomfortable. While not great at picking up on human body language, he could tell that much. When she asked if she could ask an unusual question, he was expecting something else entirely. He blinked in surprise at her request. Spread her wings? Oh, of course. Dragons didn't like being confined, according to what he'd read. Andrew nodded. "You can go ahead. I don't mind."

In fact, Andrew was curious. There were so many races intermingling in human society now, and from a biological perspective, it was fascinating. They were all so different, and yet they all had so many similarities, both physical and psychological. From a scientific perspective, it was an untapped well of knowledge. He offered a smile. "You don't need to ask permission from me for most things. I'm usually pretty laid-back."

Two heartbeats later, Neve let her wings snap open. Instant relief replaced the pressure that has begun to build along the muscles, earning a sigh from her lips. “Thank you. I know I do not need permission, per se… I just know it could be… unsettling.” Many humans have shifted away when she had done it in public before. Neve rolled her shoulders, leaning forward again to give her wings plenty of room. The forearm of her wings were the same silvery-white as her scales, but the membrane was more iridescent and transparent, reflecting different colors. “I do appreciate your understanding, regardless.”

Neve let her elbows rest on the table, despite it being rude etiquette. “Oh, trust me - I can only tolerate my siblings for so long. It can be… quite exhausting. I like peace and quiet, and being in that particular crowd is anything but. I try to limit my visits… though, unfortunately, they like to barge in on my life without my permission every now and then.” It means they care about her… but still. Neve brought her drink up to her lips.

“What about your parents? Are you still close with them?”

Andrew was taken aback, his eyes shining in excitement. Her wings were beautiful. While the structure itself was reminiscent of a bat--thin skin stretched between wing fingers. He'd been half expecting something like one wing finger supporting the membrane, like a pterosaur. The white scales caught the light almost like pearls. "I don't mind at all!" he insisted. "It doesn't bother me in the least."

He processed Neve's question for a moment. "I'm still close with my mom. She lives relatively close to me, and I try to visit when I can. My stepfather is okay... we don't talk much. We don't have much in common, so we aren't really close." Andrew took a sip from his drink. "My sister lives a few hours away. We talk every once in a while, and she tries to visit Mom when she can."

He was hesitant to bring up his father. Andrew hadn't spoken to the man in years, and as far as he was concerned, he was happy to keep it that way. "I'm more happy being around animals than people," he said, wanting to dance around the subject. "I can understand animals' behavior better than humans'." He took a deeper drink of his mocha.

Neve’s eyes lifted, rather surprised to find his eyes shining in… is that excitement? Why is that? A small tilt of her head had silvery-white swaying against a pale cheek. “I am happy to hear it,” she replied, holding her cup between both hands. “I also am close with Mother… or perhaps, close is not quite the right term.” A laugh slipped past her lips unbidden. “Perhaps distance makes the heart grow fonder? Sometimes I wish I had… more space.”

Animals, hm? It does explain Andrew’s scent. “Let me guess: you are a veterinarian?” Neve threw out there, rolling her shoulders again. The wings behind her stretched out wide, just to fold rather gracefully against her back with a rustling sound. “Do you have a favorite? Animal, I mean.” Neve stole a glance over at the display counter, locating the strawberry scent she came across earlier.

“Do you want a snack? My treat.”

Andrew knew what she meant. Being too close made you feel smothered. It's why his sister had wanted more freedom in college. He himself had his limits, especially since he was an introvert. He loved his family, but if they spent too much time together, it drove him crazy. "I'm... not a vet. I was studying to be one, but I dropped out. I... work in a pet store right now." He hadn't wanted to talk about work, but he'd set himself up for the question to be asked.

Neve's next question was somewhat hard to answer. "I like most animals. But I like dogs and birds... fish are nice too. And reptiles. I've never had the opportunity to keep a pet snake or lizard, but I'd like to sometime. I have a betta fish at my apartment... and I used to own hamsters when I was younger." He had fond memories of the little rodents, even though they only lived a short time.

Treat? That got Andrew's attention. "Well, I suppose it would be rude to turn it down," he chuckled.

“Ah, I see. Being a veterinarian does require a lot.” Neve knows it requires not just the passion, but nerves of steel to cut into a living animal… to hurt in order to heal. “How about I fetch us a treat, and then we can continue this conversation. Is there anything in particular you would like?” Neve brushed her hands over the white dress self-consciously -not that there was any reason to be. It did a lot to emphasize her curves, not that that was her intention.

Once she had received his answer, Neve went to buy the treats. Ever since she had taken her first step into Jambo, the scent of strawberry was tantalizing -teasing her. It is not very often she indulges in sweets, but strawberry happens to be her favorite. Neve bought the treats and returned back to the table, offering him his. “Now, back to our conversation. Let me see: where were we?” Neve sat back down, eyes drifting up as she thought it over.

“Animals. I like animals. I just wish they felt the same. All of them freeze, or run off in fear… except for cats, that is.” Neve picked up her strawberry tart, taking a delicate bite.

"Anything chocolate," Andrew answered simply. The young man took out his phone and checked a few things before Neve returned. She'd selected his favorite without even trying: a triple chocolate muffin. The expression on his face was almost like a kid getting a treat. He thanked Neve for the muffin and happily sunk his teeth into it. God, it was so good.

It made sense to Andrew that animals would fear something like a dragon. The same way that a rabbit feared a wolf, or a mouse would be afraid of a cat. They knew that dragons were powerful and dangerous beings, if the legends were true. But it was a far cry from the woman sitting in front of him. However, Andrew had the feeling that could go right out the window if he did anything that Neve didn't like.

"I'm not really a cat person," Andrew said. "They're not bad. It's just I prefer dogs. You can walk outside for five minutes and they're so happy to see you come back." He sipped his drink.

Neve chuckled a little under her breath. “You look… ecstatic to be having chocolate,” she pointed out, amusement dancing in the icy blue of her eyes and along the curve of her lips. “I understand. I do like dogs, it is just that… each and every one I have come across runs away.” Neve lifted her shoulders in a nonchalant shrug. “Cats do not. Perhaps it is because of their independence… and how they are very standoff-ish.”

Another bite of her strawberry tart was like heaven. It was simply… divine. Neve licked her lips, using her fingertips to wipe away any crumbs lingering there. “I just wish I could receive such affection and devotion from an animal.” It is unlikely to happen anytime soon. A hand moved to brush back silvery-white, holding the threads back as she leaned in for another bite. “So. You were studying to be a veterinarian? That is very interesting. What made you decide to drop out?”

There was no judgment in the dragon’s tone, just curiosity.

"There were a lot of circumstances that lead up to it, but finances were a big part of it." Andrew took a sip of his coffee. "Money and a few other things." He took a bite of the muffin. She didn't seem to be judging him. Just curious. However, the last time he'd revealed he was a college dropout, his match on Cinder had ghosted him.

"I'm happy where I'm at now," he went on. "I get to work with animals every day, I get paid enough, and my workplace is in walking distance of where I live." Andrew took a bite of his muffin before washing it down with some coffee. So far, so good. "Can you tell me a little about yourself that wasn't on your profile?" Andrew wanted to step away from that subject.

He was beginning to feel more comfortable now, and it showed in his body language. There was still a hint of uneasiness, but overall Andrew seemed less nervous. Indeed, he'd stopped tapping his foot, a nervous tic that was almost constant. "I've always been curious about people of other races assimilating into human culture, especially knowing how humans have portrayed different species in things like books and movies."

“Hmm. Well.” A bead of silence dropped between he and her while she contemplated his question, a fingertip tracing whimsical designs into the tabletop. It did not take long for a wry smile to tug at her lips. “I do not know where to start,” Neve confessed, “but I suppose I can start with telling you how my family integrated into human culture.”

It seems to be as good of a place to start as any. “Dragons are known to be… mythical, just like dwarves, elves and the like,” Neve began explaining, “however… no other races are quite as… feared as dragons are.” Neve’s wings stretched wide behind her, the light shimmering along the iridescent membranes. “There are different ranks among dragons as well. My family… is one of the last to reveal themselves as dragons.” It is here that most people run away out of terror.

“Mother has done well enough, though every so often, I do have to correct her on some facet of speech,” she went on, “and my sisters are enjoying… exploring the new culture. My brothers are still somewhat reluctant, but I am sure with time, they will come around.” Neve went on to sip her latte, wondering if this satisfies his curiosity, at least for the moment.

The moment Neve's wings stretched out, Andrew's eyes couldn't help but be drawn to them. It was imposing, reminding him of a bird displaying its wing feathers for one reason or another. However he wasn't afraid. "Humans have had different relationships with dragons across different cultures," Andrew said. "In Asian countries, dragons were forces of good. They brought rain and lived in bodies of water like rivers.

"If I recall correctly," he went on, "the Welsh revered a red dragon, and it's still a heraldic symbol in the country." Andrew took another bite of the muffin. The rich chocolate tasted so good. The combination of sweetness and bitterness was just right. "I hope your family finds happiness here among humans. I know our histories together haven't been the best, but I hope we can get along together as a pair of peoples." Andrew tore off a bit of his muffin and offered it to Neve. Sharing food had always been a way his family tried to be friendly, and now seemed like a good time to offer it.

“Yes, perhaps so,” Neve agreed, “but there are also a great many story that portrays dragons as an antagonist.” Neve's thoughts drifted to several years prior, when she first stepped out into the human realm. It was… not a good first impression, to say the least. It seems like a miracle she is now a part of the same world as he. “Thank you. I do appreciate the sentiment.” A smile -not quite so reserved as before- bloomed before his eyes. Neve was just about to dig into her strawberry tart when he tore off a bit of his muffin in an attempt to share.

Does he not know-? No, likely not. Neve fought to clear her throat, feeling heat rise to her face -a strange sensation, seeing as how she is normally cold. How best to explain this-? A hand lifted to brush threads of silvery-white back. “Andrew,” Neve began with, “I understand… sharing food may be just a polite gesture, meant to be… friendly, but it means something different to a dragon.” Does she need to explain herself further? Neve traced a fingertip along her jaw, thinking it over carefully before speaking. “It is… usually only done between dragons that… are… intimate, or intended to mate.”

Andrew's face flushed bright red. He had no idea that sharing food had some kind of significance like that to dragons. "S-Sorry!" he apologized. The young man popped the morsel into his mouth. His brain was divided, thinking two different things: on one hand, it made sense that might be a relationship thing. Many predators shared a kill as part of courtship, especially if one party was prone to eating or maiming their partner; on the other, he'd accidentally committed a massive blunder.

Shitshitshitshitshit. His brain raced to think of something to change the subject. Something, anything, so it wouldn't be awkward. The first thing that jumped to mind was the topic of animals, something that he was comfortable with. "Did you know there over 3000 different species of snake recognized by science?" It was clumsy, at best, but hopefully it would distract Neve.

Back
Top Bottom