Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Promised | luminescence x Saber

Streaks of daylight pouring through the part in the curtains caused her to stir in her sleep. As she shifted in her bed, gently awakened by soft rays, she finally opened her eyes. Rich, ruby eyes adjusted, long lashes batting away the remnants of exhaustion. Sluggishly she pushed herself up, letting her back rest against an intricately carved headboard. For all her tossing and turning in the night, she was certain that she would have to be dragged out of bed by her handmaid, forced to go through the motions of readying her while her weary head hung. Instead, her restlessness had her up before the shuffling feet of busy attendants and though it had occurred to her that she could easily let herself drift back into a comfortable slumber, the peacefulness of a quiet morning was a much needed calm before the storm. She enjoyed the silence for once, the stillness of her room allowing her to collect her thoughts and mentally prepare for the day.

It was the first day of the vernal equinox, a celebration of the sun to honor the gods for their favor in bounty.

Kaia should have been elated. There would be food and dancing, vibrant ornaments and lively music. Her most precious memories were of how radiant the village was, how the community came together for a common cause. The festivities commenced with a prayer, one that her father delivered with charisma and devotion. Stricken with illness, and worsening by the day despite being tended to by the most skilled healers, she was left to lead in his stead– a monumental undertaking she was hardly prepared for. Many of the members of the wind clan echoed the sentiment, knowing her as a charming yet carefree Princess with little translatable responsibilities for leadership. Knowing that she would one day have to leave the Northern tribe to be a fixture on the arm of the future Emperor, Kaia found it difficult to immerse herself in any other role.

With her father's declining health, she felt a new sense of duty.

She lifted the blankets from her legs, letting her feet touchdown on the cool stone to carry her to the window. Using the back of her hand she moved the thin curtain back slightly, squinting a bit as she looked upon the dewy garden below. Briefly she admired how the veil mist rose as the earth warmed under the sun, how the haze almost made it appear pristine and heavenly. Kaia would have lingered a while longer had it not been for the sound of voices carrying beyond her door. The familiarity of a perpetually exasperated tone made her eyes glint with mischief as she stared over her shoulder. Hastily she arranged the pillows on her bed, stuffing them beneath the covers until there was a passable heap resembling a body beneath. Once situated, she flung the window open to climb onto the ledge.

Leaping into the open air, the wind cradled her form. Swirling breezes billowed at the layers of her nightgown as she propelled herself to the limb of a sprawling cherry blossom tree. Pink petals rained down as she balanced on the bough, a graceful descent ensuring a quiet landing. Her fluffy white tail swished mischievously, and though she tried to still herself it swayed back and forth in playful anticipation as she awaited her handmaiden's arrival.

"Princess Acara, it is time to wake." Her handmaid announced as she entered. Kaia could see her swift steps as she moved to a table nearby, setting down a tray of food before noticing the mound in the middle of the bed. "Up with you, lazy girl. You've got a long day ahead of you." She pulled back the blankets, letting out a gasp.

She received a twisted sense of pleasure of hearing the old woman squeal while frantically searching for her, tossing the pillows about like she might have been consumed by the mattress.

"Shafira!" She called, unable to contain the laughter that followed.

"Oh! Oh, you– Get down from there this instant." Shafira demanded after distancing herself from her bedside, coming to the window.

Her bright hues gleamed with mirth while she was admonished.

"You are due to learn the prayer for this evening," she scolded, reaching out a helping hand despite the obvious desire to throttle the young Princess. "You don't have time for these games today."

"I'll only be a moment. I just need some air.." Kaia glanced over her shoulder, knowing the forest would allow her the solitude she needed to prepare herself mentally. She wasn't quite ready to tend to her duties. "You may not be able to enjoy these hijinx for long if the Prince has his way."

"When you are someone else's problem, perhaps I will live to a ripe old age rather than the early grave you'd put me in." She tsked, smoothing back her salt and pepper hair so that it was neat against her head. Her gray ears, tufted with white at the peaks, twitched with annoyance.

"You would miss me." She was certain of it. Behind her hard stare was a sadness that had been present ever since she was promised to Talon Navarre. The Empire was far from her home, far enough to take her away from family and those she had relied on all her life.

" . . . Get in here or I will call the Guardian to collect you." Shafira threatened, folding her arms across her chest. "Don't make me do it. He's your protector, not your nanny."

"Ah, the honorable Pyro. Sometimes I can't tell with that one. I suppose I should get a head start, then?" Kaia smirked as she turned, using the system of trees and the gusts of the air to help her bound from one limb to the next effortlessly. The Princess settled into a spot where she could still see the tiled rooftops and curved eaves of the castle. Under the cover of a white willow, the long, blooming vines obscuring her from view, she let the birdsong and the soft breezes ease her mind.

Nezir had been up far before the sun had risen, vaulting himself from branch to branch in the canopy of the forest. Even though he'd been living with the wind clan since he was a a young teen, he still felt the obligation to prove himself to the members of the tribe. He'd spent several years training to become a respectable member of their society and show that he could be useful. Since he couldn't use the wind element to assist in maneuvering, he had to build the strength to keep up with Princess Kaia and that was...a challenge sometimes. It took him years to become skilled in their ways of fighting and even now, he preferred his own. How the wind users moved in combat was far different to the ones he'd learned from his father.

So every morning before Kaia woke up, he would spend his time traveling the canopy to train his muscle memory. Being from the fire clan made him naturally talented in certain ways, but he wasn't as adept as the wind users at moving so quickly and manipulating their bodies to avoid branches of the trees. Over the years he had gotten more skilled, but not fast enough. He sighed heavily as the sun finally breached the horizon and he wiped the sweat from his brow.

Soon it would be time for him to meet up with the princess and he hoped it would be a somewhat eventless day. Nezir did his best to do the duty that Kaia's father had entrusted him with, but Kaia was far more carefree than he was. While he did his best to "go with the flow" when it came to princess, he found it difficult to mesh with her personality. Despite that, he did enjoy most of the time he was guarding the princess, but of course he would never let her know that.

Nezir inhaled deeply, taking in the crisp morning air as he took a moment to himself to soak in the sun. He tied his hair back before leaping down from the branches and landing on the ground below. He knew the way to the princess's chambers like the back of his hand. So much so that he found himself lost in his own thoughts as his feet carried him along the path. With his mentor's health waning, he found himself wondering if his charge was handling the oncoming stress of her position. While Kaia had been able to live her life in relative freedom, her station was one of heavy responsibility and stress. He wondered how she would handle it all.

When Nezir finally arrived at the princess's room, he found her handmaiden turning down the bed. "Shafira," He greeted with a slight bow of his head. "Where is the princess?"

"Oh she's off in the trees." Shafira said with a sigh as she fluffed the duvet and nodded her head towards the open window. "She shouldn't be too far. If you wouldn't mind fetching her for me so she can get ready for the day?"

"Of course." Nezir offered a small smile as he moved to the window and narrowed his eyes. There was a large, white willow in the distance and Nezir had to squint his golden eyes to finally see a twitch of a luxurious tail camouflaged by the gently wafting vines. While Nezir was always up for a challenge, he didn't want to tarnish his professional image in front of Shafira, so he bowed again before exiting the castle. The walk to the willow tree wasn't very far, and when he arrived he saw the princess sitting elegantly on a large limb.

"Shafira requested I come retrieve you, Princess." He said as he bowed at the waist. "She seems a bit stressed. I'm sure that wouldn't have anything to do with you, would it?"

Of course he knew the answer, but he couldn't help but be sarcastic at times. His dark tail flicked lightly to convey his teasing as he crossed his arms over his chest. Other than the princess, Nezir really didn't have anyone he was fairly close with, minus her father maybe, but even then it was always a professional relationship. There were a few soldiers and other guardians his age, but he never felt comfortable relaying anything personal to them. Mainly because he felt like a novelty in the tribe. A fire user living amongst the wind clan, it wasn't unheard of, but it was very rare for a user of a different element to live outside of their own people. Really, Kaia was all he had and even he wasn't comfortable enough to tell her anything of consequence, yet.

“It’s just a prayer,” she told herself softly, a reassurance that did little to ease the turmoil in her mind. Upholding tradition was far from a declaration, hardly a responsibility that translated into any meaningful intent to assume her father’s role. And yet, her tail flicked restlessly. Among the blossoming vines that hung lazily, it blended in with the backdrop of delicate, white petals. Even her slender leg, dangling from the heights of the sturdy bough, was obscured by the swaying stems. Without concern of being detected to the untrained eye, she fiddled with her silver strands as she worked through complicated emotions.

She had already been attending to her father’s duties. Kaia had attended meetings on Lord Acara’s behalf, and had spoken for him when he could not. She had made decisions, small and obvious determinations to ensure trade negotiations went seamlessly. She’d offered guidance to those who needed it, and helped maintain long standing relationships. It was only a prayer, but it was the first time that she would be assuming a responsibility publicly. While it was no secret that her father was ill, there were already whispers about who might take his place. Without formal acknowledgement from the Prince that their engagement was no more, the people had good reason not to consider her, and instead be hopeful for someone else.

The Princess imagined they wanted a warrior, someone who had known the rigors of war. They might have wanted someone exactly like her uncle, Carro Acara; disciplined, charismatic, and fearsome. He was honorable, able to command respect and authority effortlessly. And, she was . . . a free-spirit. Flighty and unpredictable, even now when she felt the tiniest fraction of the weight of responsibility. Kaia sighed, burying her face in her palms while she collected herself. She was mentally preparing to return to the castle when she heard a familiar voice call out to her.

Even though it was impossible to see her window from where she sat, she looked over her shoulder, ears twitching in irritation as she heard the Guardian approaching.

“I’m sure that wouldn’t have anything to do with you, would it?” She mocked under her breath, vaguely able to see the smug look he wore on his expression. His voice was dripping with sarcasm. Kaia adjusted the layers of her flowing, white skirts to rise. “Nezir, is that you?” She responded, feigning ignorance as she looked down to meet his golden eyes. “My goodness, I am so very sorry that all this fuss has brought you here. I’m sure Shafira got stressed all on her own. A shame you came all this way for nothing.” She smirked. “Now, if I don’t come down, will you come up to get me? I won’t make it easy. If I do recall, I am much faster than you.”

Though she realized her antics were the very thing that set her apart from obvious leaders, she couldn’t help but challenge and provoke her Guardian.

“Do you dispute this claim?” Kaia asked, her head tilted playfully as her ruby hues sparkled with mischief.

Nezir thought he'd heard the princess mumbling something to herself before he spoke, but it was too late to hear now and he wasn't going to ask her unless she made it clear she wanted a discussion. He folded his arms over his chest and sighed, lying his ears back to show his lack of amusement with the princess's taunt. Of course it was true, but did he want to admit that? No. At least not out loud when others could hear him. It was clear in Kaia's playful gaze that she knew the answer, they both did. Still, it was a bit of a game for both of them. This is what Nezir trained himself for. Not to conquer an enemy or hone his skills as a Guardian, but to best Kaia...someday.

Without saying a word, Nezir leapt into the air, digging his claws into the soft bark of the willow before landing gently in front of the princess. While it may be true she is faster than him, ignoring her use of air and lifetime of training, he was nothing, if not adaptable. While he was a bit bulkier than the wind users, that brought extra strength to hoist himself up and swing from the tree branches. Not to mention he'd been practicing a new trick with his own element, just in case Kaia tried to flaunt her abilities.

"While I can't dispute that you are faster than I," He said, glancing down at the shorter woman and planting his hands on his waist. "I wouldn't say by much anymore." Nezir tilted his head a bit as he lifted an eyebrow. If he had attempted this a few months ago, it would've taken him at least three minutes to reach the branch Kaia was settled on, and she probably would've moved in that amount of time. Catching her off guard was the easiest way to actually keep up with her and sometimes the guardian was successful, and sometimes he wasn't. "I think I'll be tallying this as a success."

He smirked before sitting down on the branch, his dark tail swung gently back and forth as he looked out over the city. "Is something bothering you today?" It wasn't uncommon for Kaia to give her handmaiden a hard time. In fact, she liked to tease almost anyone that she was in daily contact with, but the expression on the princess's face before he'd spoken looked troubled. A gentle breeze caused the pliant vines to sway, a few blossoms letting loose on the delicate gusts of wind. Nezir had rarely seen the apprehensive side of the princess, and it was usually caused by anxiety. "Are you nervous about the celebration? I'm sure you'll do fine, at least you're not brokering a peace treaty." The gentle jest would hopefully ease the princess's mind enough to regain an iota of her normal confidence.

While Nezir was positive that Princess Kaia would deliver the opening blessing flawlessly, he could understand why she'd be nervous. Being in line for the throne was one thing, but the untimely sickness that had befallen her father left her without a ton of experience dealing with leadership duties, but this was a simple task. At least it was to him. Of course he'd never had to speak in front of a crowd of people and he didn't wish to.

Kaia was somewhat deflated when he didn’t immediately respond to her taunting. There was only a sigh, a breath of mild exasperation that told her that her guardian was not in the mood for her antics. She was hopeful that he would continue to play her game, pursue her until they were both exhausted and defeated. And yet, she looked forward to hearing him concede, utter the words she demanded he recite to put an end to her challenge. Quite smugly, she grinned while she waited, folding her arms across her chest as she kept a perked ear out for his concession. That moment never came as the branch she balanced upon vibrated suddenly, a soft tremble that loosened the blossoms above her head. A flurry of peachy pink petals fluttered down, catching in her silver strands as Nezir appeared before her. It was difficult to conceal the shock in her ruby eyes, how stunned she was that he was able to move as swiftly as he had. There was a time when he would have announced himself with clumsy movements, relying on graceless and brutish strength to hoist himself up to the heights to find her. Apparently spending time with the Wind wielders of the tribe had sharpened his agility, either that or he knew her well enough to anticipate her overconfidence.

“Well, well . . . We’ve been practicing, have we?” She smirked, sitting up a bit more so that her back was no longer resting against the trunk of the tree. “I’ll let you have this one. Next time . . .” Her words lingered, a promise in them that matched the mischievous glint in her eyes. Kaia adjusted her position, letting both legs dangle over the edge of the sturdy branch as Nezir settled down beside her. Not a beat later he was asking what weighed on her mind, and while frustrating that he could so easily distinguish her usual mischief from actual dilemma she was grateful for the concern. Soft laughter escaped her as he spoke of peace treaties– not her forte.

Barely her forte.

“That is true. I think I would be much farther from here if I had to.” She smiled, staring out at the city. The landscape was a harmonious fusion of traditional architecture with sweeping gables and tall arches among vibrant trees and rolling hills. In the distance were snowcapped summits, majestic mountains that surrounded the territory. For all her aversion to responsibility, she desired it if only to stay in the beautiful place she called home. It was only fair.

"I'm . . . afraid that I'm going to embarrass myself. More specifically, the entire Acara name." Kaia smiled, its brilliance weakened as she revealed her troubles. "I know it's just a speech, but I fear the implications of being the one to deliver it will bring into question my fitness to lead. Even if it may be temporarily while the Prince deliberates on dissolving our engagement." She explained.

"I suppose after all this time being promised to someone else I never really thought about what I might want for myself. I never imagined that I would want to inherit my father's place here, I don't even know if I'll be any good at it. But, I want to . . ." Kaia glanced up at the warrior, her smile illuminating slightly. "I guess if that's what I want, I will have to stop giving you such a hard time, and actually tend to my responsibilities. I'm sure that would go a long way in swaying public opinion." She reached a hand up, plucking a stray petal from his dark hair and letting it flutter to the ground.

It wasn't uncommon for Nezir and Kaia to speak between themselves about more serious topics, but for the princess to speak to him about something that she was afraid of was new. For most of his life he'd viewed Kaia as something almost untouchable since she was the princess and the daughter of his mentor. He had done his best growing up to always be respectful and not push too hard if he was curious, but as they grew older and he became Kaia's guardian, it was only natural they would get to know one another. So to see her so forlorn and anxious was something he wasn't sure he knew how to handle. Usually he would just joke around and try and lift her spirits, but that might not be a sufficient approach in this particular situation.

"I don't know what that's like." If there was one thing he was good at, it was being blunt. He didn't like to play around with his words. "Being the heir to a throne is stressful, I'm sure, but I'm sure you'll do fine. You just have to remember that you are yourself, not your father. If you falter, just stay confidant. I would tell you if you'd make a horrible queen." He smirked and gently bumped her with his shoulder.

Nezir had almost forgotten that Kaia was betrothed to the prince. It wasn't something that came up often, more so for that fact that it wasn't so much of a momentous occasion to a woman who valued her freedom. But with royalty came politics, and most princesses and princes were promised to other clans to strengthen their treaties or resources. When Kaia reached up and removed a petal that had nestled so lightly on his head that he hadn't noticed, he glanced down at her and tried to read her emotions. While he wasn't the best at talking about his feelings, he did his best when it came to the princess, mostly for her sake.

"Growing up here wasn't easy." He said finally as he grabbed a nearby vine and pulled it down to start twisting it lazily around his hand. "I constantly felt, feel, like I have to prove myself since I am not an air user. One thing I've always admired about your father is his openness to change." Nezir paused for a moment before turning slightly so he could face Kaia better. "I think as long as you hold on to being kind and open, you will make a very acceptable leader and the people will respect you." It was unnerving to speak this way to the princess and he suddenly felt very vulnerable. He stood up, stretching his arms dramatically over his head with a loud yawn. He threw the bundled mess of vine and petals out into the distance before offering a hand to Kaia.

"What do you want to do to help you relax?" He asked, the one of his voice getting more boisterous as he tried to match her normal demeanor. "Whatever you want, I will participate, no complaints." This might be a mistake, but he honestly didn't know what else to do at this point and he wanted to help Kaia relax. Not to mention he didn't know if he could continue to be as open as he just was with Kaia any longer.

A smile lifted the corners of her lips upon hearing his response, the candid and straightforward remark that it was. Kaia expected nothing less from the guardian, who was never one for many words to begin with. She could always count on Nezir for the truth, ones that weren’t candy-coated in sugar for easy digestion. The Princess appreciated it now more than ever. So many of her father’s advisors and close council spoke to her as if they had all the knowledge in the world. To them, all the answers were simple; rely on tradition, customs, historical references, and sound political alignments. All the decisions were made for her in a sense, and it was a breath of fresh air to be reminded that she was not her father or her father’s father. Her smile brightened as he leaned into her, offering her as good of a vote of confidence as she would get. “Thank you, Nezir . . .” She said, feeling a weight lift from her shoulders. Kaia would have relented then, and agreed to go back to the palace quietly and without mischief, but he began to speak of his own feelings. The rare opportunity to listen and understand him better was one she wouldn’t waste.

She always wondered how he felt about the Northern Wind clan. As an outsider, she knew that it couldn’t have been easy to live among them. He was from the Southern Fire clan, and their ways were leagues apart. While the men and women in their ranks were learning techniques that came easily to wind users, he was forced to adapt and understand his own capabilities on his own. She could empathize with the sentiment that he expressed, having to prove himself endlessly in order to gain the respect and trust of the soldiers he trained among. Nezir had done just that. Her father wouldn’t have made him her personal guardian if he hadn’t. As much as she wanted to express how worthy he was of all he had worked for, she could tell that his sudden openness had come and gone– that his time to share had come to an end. He rose, offering a hand to help her to her feet. Tempted as she was to prolong her time away from her duties, she relented.

“No, no.” She placed her hand in his, getting her feet under her so that she could rise. “I’ve had my fun. To show my gratitude for your kindness, I’ll allow you to escort me back. I’ll tell everyone you wrangled me like a wild horse.” Kaia stepped off the bough, and in a series of swift and elegant bounds she landed on the ground below. A gust of air billowed her skirts as she slowed her descent, touching down gracefully. She waited for the warrior to join her before she began the short journey back to the palace. Kaia was on her best behavior as they cut through the manicured path that would lead to the iron gates of the garden. She allowed him to pass through, to lead the way so that the guards and onlookers, maids and advisors, would perceive his victory.

"I suppose I should put Shafira out of her misery now." She smiled, opening the doors to the pacing handmaid. She welcomed her with a deep sigh of exasperation before ushering her back to her room, to a partitioned tub where she rid her of her robe and delicate layers to bathe the unruly Princess. The process for getting ready was more rigorous than usual as decorative elements of tradition were more intricate than her casual garbs. After being doused in aromatic waters with fragrant petals and oils, she was draped in elegant fabrics of silk and chiffon, solids and sheers of white and red. Golden patterns ran along the hem of her flowing gown, the light and airy material like the wind itself. Crimson and champagne colored tassels cinched her petite middle, accentuating an alluring silhouette. Her hair, like freshly fallen snow, was tamed into lustrous waves that cascaded down her back. With golden pins woven into her thick strands, and the patent red streaks painted across her cheeks she was prepared to greet the shamans.

For hours old felines walked her through the ceremonial process, helping her recite the words of the sacred prayer that would grant prosperity and abundance to the people of the Wind Tribe. Kaia was particularly attentive, focused as she committed the words to memory. By the time her practice was through, she was visibly nervous, growing quieter as the sun began its descent on the horizon. As she moved down the halls to the opposite wing of the castle, she tried to appear unfazed by the weight of responsibility.

The grand double doors of the castle opened, revealing a pathway that was lit with glowing lanterns and floral garlands strewn from building to building. It was nearly nightfall but the tribe was vibrant with color. Soldiers and guards were dressed in their best uniforms, decorated in all their medals and cultural ornaments. The people were wearing the radiant shades of Spring, formal attire and adornments that glittered and sparkled in the bright torch light that lit their way. The air was sweet with the scent of baked goods, familiar aromas that only occurred during their momentous occasion. Kaia stepped onto the ornate gama, the covered platform that acted as a vehicle for her to be carried to the heart of their territory.

The gates opened, wrought iron hinges groaning as they parted. As they moved along the paved road, the sound of music became less faint. Drums beat rhythmically to a lilting tune, growing louder. By the time the crowd became more dense, petals rained from above as jovial festival go-ers tossed them from windows and doorsteps. The energy was lively, infectious enough to make the Princess' worries subside for a time. She waved graciously, all smiles as she greeted the people with grace and enthusiasm. It wasn't everyday that she got to interact with them, and she saw it for the rare opportunity that it was.

A thunderous boom sounded in the distance, making the earth tremble. The gama teetered as her men lost their footing momentarily, jumping along with the citizens who were startled by the explosion. Though the veil of night had descended on them, the shape of a black plume was evident. Kaia poked her head out, just in time for yet another colossal collision to bang against the earth. Rattled, the beautiful music turned to a dying cacophony as scream erupted from the crowd.

"Slavers!" A ragged cry from afar told them, sending the masses into a frenzy as they began to flee for their lives.

The men carrying the gama were bumped and slammed into, making the platform she rested on rock. Frantically Kaia looked around for the warrior, ruby eyes searching for the comfort of his golden gaze.

Nezir sighed in relief when the princess decided to get back on track with her upcoming duties, thought it was probably more so because he was happy that he wouldn't be subjected to any of her games or favors. Not that they were ever too much for him to handle, but most of the time it did involve him losing at some sort of activity that Kaia would choose and had an advantage over. He followed the princess silently back to her chambers, the breeze wrapping around them both as they walked. Even though he hadn't been born with the ability to command the wind, it still brought him comfort in an odd way. His flames were fed by the breeze and it only seemed natural since he was raised in a tribe of wind users, that it soothe him.

He waited patiently, standing guard outside of the princess's chambers as she was readied for the ceremony. His ears twitched when he could hear the voices of the shamans run her through the ritual over and over until Kaia was repeating it perfectly without any guidance and an air of confidence, the tone of a ruler. A small smirk grew on Nezir's face, he wasn't sure how long the confidence would last since Kaia had a bad habit of getting in her own head too much. Finally, the chamber door opened and Nezier stepped aside, bowing his head as the procession exited the princess's room with Kaia in the back. Nezir fell in line behind her as they made their way through the hallowed halls of the castle to the main hall.

Even though he tried to keep his gaze ahead and glancing from side to side to scan for potential threats, he couldn't help but let his eyes fall on Kaia frequently under the sheer veil that shrouded her features. Her outward appearance was that of a proud, confident princess. But he could tell by the way her her nostrils would flare when she'd breath and the slight fidgeting with her hands that she was nervous. While now was not the time for him to speak, he tried his best not to pay too much attention, or at least enough where she'd notice and possibly get more anxious.

When they finally reached their destination, Nezir took in the sights and sounds as best as he could while the princess was hoisted onto a platform. While his senses wanted to marvel at the pomp and circumstance, his training forced him to attempt to find any possible threat to Kaia over the cheering and festivities. Suddenly, the air around him vibrated before a thundering boom resonated throughout the city. He widened his stance to keep his balance as he stumbled back and before he could move forward, toward Kaia, the ground shook with a tremor that completely threw him off his feet. Panicked festival attendees began scattering, running into one another and Nezir felt a boot connect solidly with the side of his head while he was on the ground.

His ears were ringing and he laid them flat against his head as his tail bristled at the threat. He shook his head, springing to his feet and searching the crowd with blurred vision, trying his damnedest to find the princess. When his vision settled, the gama was in the process of falling and he shoved through the mass of panic to reach Kaia. When one of the transporters fell, he took their place to keep the princess from tumbling to the ground.

"Kaia!" He reached up and grabbed her forearm, yanking her down from the platform and over his shoulder, an arm securing around her waist. Nezir wasted no time turning on his toes and running back towards the castle doors. "Barricade the doors!" He shouted as he was met with the castle guard opening the heavy doors once more. Nezir had some personal experience with slavers. Not only had he almost been a victim of their twisted form of business, buying and selling people, he'd seen first hand the downfall of his tribe to their vicious bloodlust. He didn't know how many had breached the walls, but his first priority was to get Kaia to safety.

Another massive explosion that was much closer than the other two shook the air. Fire and thick plumes of black smoke rose into the sky as debris flew wildly through the air. There was protocol for this sort of attack on the city, protocol that was slipping Nezir's mind as he made his way back to Kaia's chambers on instinct more than anything. When they were inside her chambers once more he set her down and slammed the door shut. From what he remembered of slavers, they always worked for someone and they never left without their 'prize'. Who was a larger prize than the princess?

"Grab some thing, we are leaving." He huffed as he moved to the window and poked his head out. There were fires erupting throughout the city and a large group of warriors clad in patchwork hide armor and jagged, hastily forged weapons, and they were headed right towards the castle. He'd never seen such a large number of slavers before, this had to have been planned. "I can't let you get captured, who knows what they would do to you."

The gama teetered as the men who carried it were bumped and jostled by citizens running for their lives Kaia held onto the post beside her, ruby hues searching the frantic crowd as they scattered. It felt as though at any moment she would spill onto the cobbled, roll off the unsteady platform to be trampled by the stampede of frightened citizens. All the while the explosions around her persisted, deafening crashes that were disorienting among the chaos around her. What steadied her racing heart, the surge of anxiousness that coursed through her, was the sight of her guardian. Kaia was relieved, a brief sense of security washing over her as he pushed through the masses to retrieve her. She went with him without protest, letting him and the remaining guards flank her and forge a path back to the palace. There was no time to look back, but as she dangled over his shoulder she could hear the sorrowful and horrified cries of her people. Desperately she wanted to help them, and if she would have been on her feet she would have dug her heels in again and again each time one of their screams tore at her heart.

When they reached the gates of the castle she believed there might be some room to breathe, collect her thoughts and decide on a plan of action, but the havoc of the attack had reached beyond the safety of her home. The slavers had infiltrated the castle to her dismay, a confusing trespass that sparked her rage. Her fury was brought on by the knowledge that her fragile father, vulnerable to the spreading flames that had ignited on the far wings of the castle. “Nezir! My father.” She said, the realization causing her to squirm in his grasp. Her guardian was strong enough to withstand her kicking and wiggling to her dismay. He hardly acknowledged her until they were behind the temporary safety of her doors.

"We can’t leave. My father . . . he’s still here.” She reminded him as she flipped her silver tresses from her face. Now that she was right-side up she could look Nezir in the eye to command him. A combination of grief and denial made her stubborn. Her father was ill, on his deathbed and in no condition to be on foot. Deep down she knew he wouldn’t last long through the thick plumes of smoke or the physical strain he would have to endure to flee.

“. . . I can't leave without my father. He can’t escape on his own." The Princess made up her mind, and she knew the warrior would protest. Despite the very real possibility that her father had already been taken, or worse, she knew she couldn't live with herself if she didn't at least try to save him. Even if she knew it was useless, even if she knew it was more trouble than it was worth or likely to put herself in danger. Kaia knew that it was the warrior’s role to protect her, and as long as the King was alive– in times of duress and grave circumstances– he could ignore her command if it meant saving her life. But, her eyes plead with him not to, teary gems hopeful that he wouldn’t see her wishes as reckless– though they were. She just felt powerless knowing there was nothing she could do to change the outcome of their circumstances.

The king. Nezir mentally kicked himself for basically forgetting about His Majesty in the chaos of the ambush. The man who had raised him as his own and provided for him. Kaia was right, they couldn't leave without making sure the king was safe, not only for themselves, but to rally the kingdom against this enemy, if they survived. He would never forgive himself if something happened to the king and he didn't try and help, but this was going to be no simple task. Nezir was going to have to get to the king's chambers, all while keeping Kaia safe and that in itself was causing him anxiety. On one hand, his loyalty was the king was immeasurable and his instincts were overwhelming, on the other, he'd made an oath to said king to keep his daughter safe no matter the consequence.

It was Kaia's desperation that finally won him over. She would never forgive him if they fled now and didn't ensure her father's safety. So he sighed heavily before running his hand over his face and turned to the princess. Even though he has trained for exactly this sort of situation, he'd never had to experience it on this sort of level of severity. His mind was racing as the sounds of battle could be heard outside of the princess's window. There wasn't as much commotion from inside the castle yet, so that meant they had a very small window to act.

"Of course, you're right, Kaia." His golden eyes glanced to the princess. "You'll need to change into something that won't hinder your movement, we need to move as fast as possible." There was a very slim possibility that the soldiers would be able to fight off the slavers, but their armies were vast and the king was incapacitated to rally his people. "Once we reach your father, we have to leave. No questions, ok?"

Nezir didn't wait for an answer as he moved to the door and peeked out. There was no commotion other than the castle guard rushing about to barricade any possible way the warriors could get in. For the time being, it was safe for them to move about. He shut the door and tried to run through the scenario in his head. Get to the king while keeping Kaia safe and out of sight, then escape the castle to...where?

Suddenly, there was a tremor that shook the castle and the sound of crumbling stone soon followed. "We have to go, princess." It wouldn't be long before the corridors were flooded with slavers and their chance of escape would be slim to none. "We are quickly running out of time." Nezir moved to stand in front of the princess and frowned slightly. "Be sure to make sure your face is covered. I don't want the slavers to see you if we can help it."

The warrior’s hardened stare relented, her pleas reaching him finally. A wave of relief washed over her, a short-lived absence of pressure and grief that was quickly rekindled. Kaia nodded as he instructed her to change in order to conceal herself. She was hasty as she rummaged through her wardrobe, frustrated by the presence of so much finery. The silks that she usually donned were too flashy, too distinguishing. Any slaver would have quickly taken note of her attire and made an attempt to ensnare her. She settled on garments she wore when frequenting the market, an inconspicuous getup that would protect her identity. She changed behind the partition hastily, ripping out the pins and trinkets that decorated her hair. Kaia flipped the hood of her cloak up, letting the interior obscure her features.

“I’m ready,” she told Nezir. Though her voice sounded resolute she was wary of what chaos was behind the door. For her father, she was willing to brave the danger to get to him.

When they finally left her quarters behind she was pleased to see that it was only the Wind clan forces scrambling to reinforce the windows and doors of the castle. But, the distant noises of the attack were much closer. Kaia stayed close to the warrior as they ran through the corridors, but her attention was drawn away often. In the large windows they passed, the acrid smoke from the flames that burned the villages was visible, dark and ominous as the glow of raging fires reflected against the sky. Were it not for the rush of boots against the floor, or the far-off clang of metal, she might have been terrorized by the screams of the innocent. It felt wrong to flee, but so blindsided there was little time to do more than run.

As they approached the northern wing of the castle she was pleased to see that the presence of guards was heavy. Had they not recognized Nezir, she was certain that they would have been bombarded by swords and arrows the very second they turned the corner. The two closest to the door opened them, the thick wood parting to allow them entry. Until then, the princess was true to her word. She stayed close to the warrior all the while, but her emotions got the better of her when she saw her father resting peacefully in bed.

His slight form was tucked between warm blankets, his hands folded as he leaned against the headboard. His long silver hair was braided neatly, laying across his shoulders. The Princess noted how small he appeared, a contrast to the memory of him she carried with her. Once a towering and commanding presence, Carro Acara had fallen ill to some incurable sickness. Not even the most skilled healers could revive him to his glory days, bring him back to the picture of glowing health that he once was. More than a few times he was touch and go, barely hanging on. Miraculously he'd thwarted death, but it was only a matter of time. He was too calm now– much too calm for the princess’ liking.

"We have to go,” Kaia demanded, approaching his bedside. She was ready to throw the covers off of him when he reached for her wrist. A soft, yet firm grasp stopped her.

“Sit down. We don’t have much time.” His voice was raspy, carrying a roughness and weariness to it. The sound of defeat.

Kaia sat down slowly, knowing that his composure was no good sign.

“You’ll go to the Water tribe in the West. Do you know how to get there?” He asked, taking both her hands in his bony grasp. “There’s a cavern in the forest. You know the one? It’ll lead you to the border of our territory. You’ll cross the bridge, and it will take you to another forest. Listen for the ocean, you’ll hear it.” He explained calmly. “And, you will have Nezir with you. There’s nothing to fear.” The King pulled her in, hugging her as tightly as his body would allow. His silver eyes lifted to the warrior. “Allow me a word with him. They haven’t breached the gates just yet, but it won’t be long.”

Kaia nodded, holding on for a moment longer before finally letting go. She rose, wiping her tears as she disappeared behind the doors to wait.

“There was so very much I wanted to tell you, Nezir. I wish we had more time.” He smiled kindly. “It’s been such a pleasure to watch you grow over the years. I hoped to see your journey through to the end. Your lineage is an extraordinary one and I fear my knowledge of it is the reason for all this.” A tired laugh escaped him before turning into a series of harsh coughs. “Take care of each other. You will be all that’s left of the great empires.”

The path to the king's chambers was a well known one, for both of them. How many times had he walked these corridors and in the morning calm before the castle was awake? It used to be that he would have daily walks with the king and everyday there was something new to be learned. But now it was horrifically different. The sounds of battle were off in the distance, but Nezir knew it was only a matter of time before they reached the palace. His mind was racing with the the possibilities of how to get the king to safety. In his feeble state, it was going to be difficult to travel and not draw attention to themselves. His training, no, his instincts were eating away in the back of his mind. Scratching and festering as they boiled to the surface of his thoughts.

They'd have to leave the king behind.

Nezir knew this, which means the king himself must've been aware as well. There was no way that the king was going to allow his daughter to be taken by slave traders because of his inability to keep up. The realization gripped Nezir's heart like a vice and as they reached the monarch's chambers, he swallowed hard as the guards let them pass and enter the room. He let Kaia move forward, as was her right, and he stayed back. His brow furrowed as his saw the king, his mentor in his weakened state. The heavy blankets secured over his lap as he sat up in his bed. Nezir recognized the peaceful expression on his face, even as he knew his kingdom was about to fall. It was acceptance. Something that he himself struggled with most of his life.

While being a wielder of fire didn't make him different as a person, each user of the different elements had certain traits that mirrored their given force. Fire was usually seen as unruly, wild and angry. Users of fire were not known for their carefree nature, like the wind bearers. Nezir struggled often with his inability to quell his inner flame. Even now he wished he had the power to decimate the traders and make sure they would never cause this sort of devastation to anyone else, he struggled to accept what he could not control. A lesson that the king had tried his damnedest to teach, but it never really hit home for Nezir.

So he seethed silently. His ears twitching when he could hear the war cries getting closer, but not moving as Kaia spoke with her father about what was to come. He didn't want to interrupt what could be the last interaction they had together even though he was in a rush to flee with the princess. It was only when the princess moved that his attention fell fully to her once more. He moved to stop her, to comfort her when he saw the tears brimming in her eyes, but the king spoke as she exited the room.

Nezir moved to stand next to the king's bed as he spoke and he clenched his jaw. The man that had basically raised him was accepting his fate and preparing himself to fall. A captain went down with their ship, or so they said, so why wouldn't a king stay within his kingdom until the very end? It was ridiculous logic, in Nezir's mind. There were enough guards to carry the king out of the castle, they'd have enough time. As he listened to what the king was saying, his ears perked up when his lineage was mentioned. How could where he came from be the cause for this raid?

"What do you mean?" Nezir's eyes narrowed slightly as he knelt down next to the bed. "How could that be the cause for the slavers attacking? And why now?" The king was taken over by a coughing fit and Nezir stood again, reaching out to lay a hand on the older man's shoulder. At that moment, a tremor shook the castle, more violent than the last one and the guardian looked out through the window to see the ominous orange glow of torches drawing closer. It was time to go, regardless of the fact that he had a million questions he wanted to ask the king.

"I swear, I will protect Kaia with my life." He bowed his head in respect before running out the door to reunite with Kaia.

Nezir gently grabbed her hand and pulled her down the corridor to the servant tunnels that were woven throughout the stone walls in the castle. When they reached the hidden exit to the castle yard, he didn't waste any time putting as much distance between them and the castle as he could as quickly as he could. As the sounds of the raid began to fade, Nezir finally slowed when they came to large tree. Sweat was dripping down his forehead as he took a few deep breaths to replenish his lungs. His golden eyes glanced at Kaia. He wasn't good with expressing his emotions, and he couldn't imagine what she was feeling or what he should say to her in that moment.

"I'm sorry." Was all that he could manage as he sat down against the trunk of the great tree and ran his hands over his face. "I should have tried to convince him to come with us." Nezir knew that he couldn't have convinced the king to leave, but what else could he say to the princess after she'd not only lost her kingdom, but her father all in one night? "Do you think the western water tribe will welcome us?"

Back
Top Bottom