Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Into the Pages and Across the Multiverse (Rae and Musashi)

SuperSaiyanMusashi

Super-Earth
Musashi made his way down the slightly damp earthen path in the lush green forest. Though the mid-day had just started, light levels were reduced due to the overcast gray sky, which gave off the occasional drop of clean rain. Soon, the brave, curious samurai arrived upon his initial destination: a mighty castle kept in a wide clearing. Around the superstructure, many men and women were sparring against each other, showing off magic spells, or practicing other unusual talents. After taking a few curious glances, the blue-haired fencer continued his way inside, following signs for the library until finally arriving there.

Madam Fayya, Paper Mage and Librarian of the Kai Monastery sat at the front desk. She had long black hair, word in a single braid. Her tight-fitting green dress was accompanied by a pair of knee-high boots. Curiously, the novel she was reading floated on its own, and 2 origami birds hovered beside it, also flying on their own. As Musashi walked in, Fayya's paper birds could be seen turning the page for her. Upon noticing she had company, Fayya looked up while her birds carried the book off to the side so she could greet, "Good Afternoon, can I help you find something?"

"Oh, not exactly," Musashi curiously returned. "I heard you know a few things about books that show…unusual qualities," he clarified.

"I've certainly discovered a few odd tomes in my time," Fayya confirmed. "What's special about yours?" she asked, figuring it fairly likely the youth found a strange book.

Musashi produced an impressive, hard-bound, omnibus-sized graphic novel. The cover, bearing the title 'The Exhilarating Adventures of Raphael Gonzales', portrayed a beautiful girl with long red hair. Inside the pages, epic stories brought to life with vibrant illustrations told the many struggles and joys of the young lady featured on the cover. The art style and production value of the mighty tome stood in contrast to the technology level of the world Musashi first saw it in. "My father said he got it as a gift from his friend Jacques, who," Musashi stopped briefly to warn Fayya about his tale, "I know it sounds crazy, but dad told me Jacques was from hundreds of years in the future."

Fayya gave a strange look for a brief moment but softened her expression slightly upon remembering a few equally odd experiences of her own. "That would explain the strange art style," she observed.

"I read it when I was little," Musashi explained. "And I liked it a lot. I kept wondering what it would be like to meet Raphael for real!" he recalled.

"Ah yes, we all wonder that sometimes, don't we?" Fayya related.

"Indeed," Musashi verified. "I mean, I had a few friends growing up. I played with my cousin Yousuke all the time! Playing with other boys was fun and all, but I couldn't help but wonder what having a girl as a friend would be like," he recalled. "And here's the thing: I got my wish like you wouldn't believe!"

"Oh?" Fayya reacted, her curiosity showing.

"So a few days later, I was left to my own for a little while," the story-telling samurai began. "I went outside to practice my strikes a little, but mid-course I dropped the sticks upon hearing a 'Hi'. I looked just slightly to the side and saw Raphael herself standing there! Wearing the prettiest cerulean blue dress too. I wasn't sure if it was real, but she greeted me by name, like she had known me since always. I didn't argue; just asked if she wanted to play with me, to which she said, 'of course that's why I'm here!' So we explored around the fields and woods. Pretended like we were all sorts of crazy characters. She even had this weird wind-up machine that could play music so we could imagine being at a fancy ball."

"That's..amazing!" Fayya reacted, now thinking about the prospect of a book character popping in for a surprise visit. "So what happened to her?"

Continuing the story, Musashi recalled, "Around sunset she left; said good-bye with a smile, blew a little kiss and then just kept walking. When dad got back, I told him all about how Raphael came and played with me all day. He thought I was being crazy; said it was probably a girl from the town playing a joke. Well if it was, it was one masterful joke: A dress like hers would have been very hard to make with the materials in our village. No one else saw her, or saw anyone else go to my father's house that day, or found any evidence like hairs from a styled wig or spare clothes."

"Hmm..a little unnerving, but hey you had fun, right?" Fayya followed along.

"That I did!" Musashi agreed. "I didn't hear from her for a while, but then a few days after re-reading the book, I got sick and had to stay in bed for a while. Waking up from a nap, I suddenly saw her sitting in a chair in my room. She came over to me with a wet washcloth to rest on my forehead, then proceeded to pour some hot tea and add a drop of honey to it before insisting I drink it. From there she did most of the talking, telling me about the places she had gone. Later, I dozed off again, just after she left with an affectionate hand-touch. I told dad she came back, and again, he figured I was dreaming, had a vivid imagination, was hallucinating from the illness and medicines; the usual dismissals. And yet: the washcloth remained and the tea-treatment worked wonders."

Taking the story in, Fayya, inquired, "This never happened with any other book characters; just with Raphael? And any time it did was shortly after you re-read her book?"

"Yes," Musashi confirmed. "It's lead me to believe this is no ordinary book," he theorized. "But the last time I saw her was several years ago. She hasn't come back after any recent re-reads. Maybe it's just because I'm grown up now, but she seemed to grow up with me over the course of the visits, so I don't think it's a 'Kids-only' thing." He then shared his concern with the wise librarian, "I think there's something happening with her, like maybe she's in trouble and needs my help. And now that I'm a trained samurai with a couple of developed super-powers I think I can do just that! If I could just get to her somehow!"

"So you've heard about my talents, then?" Fayya checked. "Yea, I discovered my ability to enter the worlds contained in books during one of my craziest adventures. Took a while but I learned how to control it, and extend the power to sending others as well." the green-eyed librarian explained. "But be warned; the worlds created in these pages can be crazy places with the weirdest customs and nasty dangers. I can pull you out of it, but not always right away," she advised.

"Oh that's okay: I have my warp whistle just in case," Musashi assured the mystical librarian.

"Well, okay, but remember that any traveling to other worlds carries a risk of getting stuck in them," Fayya finalized her warnings. "But I can see you need to do this. Are you fully ready?" she checked.

"I am, Miss Fayya," Musashi confirmed. "Please send me there!" he requested.

They opened 'The Exhilarating Adventures of Raphael Gonzales' atop the hard-wooden counter. Fayya held Musashi's hand while placing her other atop the book with eyes closed. Musashi read the text on the pages and admired the amazing artwork intently until he felt a lightheaded rush come over him. He could feel himself barreling through a tunnel of light until it suddenly gave way to a stone-paved square in an opulent modern-looking city with a few elegant, Victorian-esque decorations. He held his forehead, feeling the haze brought on by dimensional travel clouding his vision and generating a delirious feeling. Several people who noticed his arrival looked on and gawked in shock. Musashi looked up and around, then awkwardly tried to explain, "It's okay, people, I just arrived. Not here to cause trouble!"

Raphael Gonzales put her bike near her house in the bushes. Her blue eyes were wide with fear as she looked around. Her crimson, waved hair was stuck to her brow. The exquisite 21-year-old was in the woodland that brought her into another world; it appeared to be different from where she lived. It reminded her of the samurai world she'd read about in anime and literature. 'Damn you! Why am I unable to pass? It was this particular tree. 'I'm sure!' she thought as she sat down on one of the roots above the dirt. As she caught her breath, she couldn't help but marvel at the enchanting beauty of the woodland. The vibrant colours of the leaves and the peaceful sounds of nature provided a much-needed respite from her everyday life. This reminded her of the times she spent an entire day in a similar forest, running around and having fun. Yes, she was missing a particular boy from another world. He had been her companion in those carefree days, and she longed for his presence now more than ever. The memories of their adventures together flooded her mind, and she couldn't help but wonder if he was thinking of her too, across the realms.

After you reach the age of ten, you can embark on an adventure. So she was registered at Adventure's League, exactly like her companions. However, because she was engaged in an academic framework, it was difficult for her to go on larger excursions until she graduated. So she embarked on a wild trip after school, mailing letters, attending martial arts courses, and learning fencing. With all of this going on in her life, her greatest joyful recollections were with a boy from another universe. She tried to inform her parents, but who would believe that she had travelled to another world? Despite her excitement and desire to share her incredible experiences with her parents, she couldn't find the right words to convince them of her interdimensional travels. It was a secret she guarded closely, cherishing the memories of those enchanting moments spent with the boy from another universe. As she navigated her academic journey, she couldn't help but wonder if she would ever find a way to bridge the gap between her extraordinary adventures and the reality of her everyday life.

"Why won't you let me through?" she whispered as she glanced at the large oak tree in front of her. "I haven't seen him in years. Did he mature into an attractive man? Is it because something in our world is changing that I can't go there anymore?" She kept asking the tree questions, hoping for a response or for it to open the gateway that would bring her to her Musashi. She longed for the thrill of his company and an escape from her mundane existence. As she waited for a sign, a gust of wind rustled the leaves as if the tree was teasing her with its secrets. The unanswered questions only fueled her determination to find a way to travel to his world again.

"If you're not going to tell me anything, I'll figure it out for myself." As she rode her bike to the city, she stood up and dusted the soil away. She was going to meet Miss Davina, who knows all there is to know about this planet and more. Her red hair flew in the wind, and her white cotton garment billowed in the breeze as she hurried towards the building known as "The Celestial Brook." She has completed enough jobs for Miss Davina to enjoy free access to and from this building. The Celestial Brook was a place of wonder and mystery, rumoured to hold ancient artefacts and secrets from civilizations long gone.

As she approached 'Roseburgh,' she observed a ruckus. The adventurer in her was resolved to investigate the disturbance in order to discover a young man clad in samurai garb. She rode closer to the crowd and the man since he appeared familiar to her. His clumsy answer quickly reminded her of a young friend she had met. She cycled ahead of her and came to a halt. "Yo, Musashi!" said Raphael. She grinned, delighted to see him. "Ah, he's my friend, you guys; he just likes to perform the disappearing and reappearing magic act. This time it misfired, lol." She chuckled uneasily because the situation here wasn't as serene as it had been, and any exterior presence was regarded with suspicion.

Something felt oddly familiar about the city of Roseburgh. Musashi looked around, then focused closely on one of the buildings, followed by a few passing glances at people walking by, taking care not to stare too long at any one. After a minute to take in his surroundings, he realized that they were straight out of his favorite book. He realized, "I really made it here..this is wild!" Still, reading about it in the graphic novel did little to reduce just how amazing it felt to be truly visit the colorful city.

Recovering from the shock of the world-jump, Musashi quickly re-focused. He was there to locate a friend he truly missed and needed to re-unite with, especially if she, or the lovely lands she lived in were in some kind of danger. He noticed there was still a considerable degree of attention by the confused residents on him, but he then heard a familiar voice calling to him by name, and speaker working her away around the crowd to make herself visible. Seeing her, and recognizing her voice, though it was slightly developed compared to the last time, he immediately relaxed, feeling relieved that Raphael herself was alive and appeared well. She was now taller and bustier, and her long curls were as pretty as ever. Her face had taken a beautiful womanly shape while still retaining a hint of that young-girl cuteness. Musashi blushed a little seeing her in a pretty white dress short enough to ride her bike in as it revealed her strong shapely legs. He addressed the friendly woman, "Raphael? Is that really you?" He chuckled lightly at her little cover story about a misguided magic trick, then shared, "I had a crazy time getting here, maybe I can tell you more about somewhere away from the center of town?"

Raphael nodded, pleased that Musashi had arrived. She instantly grabbed her friend's hand, noticing the audience was less concerned about the issue. "Of course, hop on my bike; we will talk at my place." She grinned as she patted the bike's back seat. She waited for him to get on the bike but quickly realised that a bike like this did not exist in his world, so she said, "Don't worry. This is quicker and better than what you are accustomed to. And believe me, I will not allow you to have an accident. I am an excellent rider. I swear!" She reassured him, sensing his hesitation. "Plus, it'll be a fun adventure. You'll get to experience something new and exciting!" With a reassuring smile, she paddled the bicycle towards him, waiting for him to get on.

"Okay, grab on to me!" he said as he climbed onto her bike. She hurried across the bustling streets, paddling with ease and maintaining her balance. After selecting the left dirt route, the paved roads began to fade as she made her way to the woods. "Hold on to me; the ride will be a bit bumpy after this," she grinned as she rode through the uneven path. The wind blew through their hair as they ventured deeper into the woods, the scent of pine filling the air. The uneven terrain added an element of thrill to their ride, making every twist and turn more exhilarating.

She came to a halt at a large ancient tree where the route appeared to end. There was an old-looking, small door " Okay! We've arrived! You may be familiar with this location, but it's much better in person." She smiled as she opened the door to see a room filled with fascinating devices and plenty of space to hang out and have fun. "This is the hidden location where I go. "You're the only one I've brought here." As she gestured for her companion to enter, she explained, "This place holds a special significance to me. It's my sanctuary, where I can escape from the chaos of the world and truly be myself." With a mischievous grin, she added, "And now, it's our secret hideaway."

The touch of Raphael's hand introduced a warming comfort in Musashi's being he had not experienced since the last time she had visited him. Through his smile, he quickly agreed to her bike ride and hopped onto the rear seat. The extra seating seemed odd to him but he still used it, and the trust they had built from times past meant he fully believed her about her biking experience.

"Oh, ah, sure!" Musashi quickly consented to Raphael's suggestion, taking hold her waist just atop her hips. As the bike sped out of the villages and into the forests, he looked up and around, taking in the colors of nature all around them, though the bumpy trail quickly grabbed his attention. Per the beautiful biker's advice, he hugged from behind a little tighter, blushing a little as his hands took in her dress's smooth texture. Adrenaline coursed through the fencer's heart and limbs as Raphael masterfully rode along the bumpy path until an arrival at a mighty thick tree in a clearing. Feeling the bike stop and noticing the pretty girl's skirt flow back into place, Musashi climbed off the all-terrain bike and looked up and down at the ancient arboretum and noticed there were shelters built in and around it. Hearing Raphael summon him to one of them, he followed along and looked in awe as she opened a door leading to a specious room with muck remarkable technology built right in.

Musashi blushed a little upon hearing that he was the sweet woman's first invitee to her special place. He appreciated through his odd skipping heartbeats, "Aww..thanks for having me here!" still looking around and taking in the sights. "I'll have to learn how it works sometime soon!" he requested, seeing as she identified it as being theirs together. He shared, "I'm glad I was able to find you so soon after arriving. I've been through some crazy things since we last spent time together. And when reading that wonderful book again didn't prompt another visit I got worried. Lucky for me, I soon learned there were ways to travel between worlds. The way I found out tho.." he then stopped himself and apologized, "Oh, ah sorry Raphael! I'm just so happy I started rambling!" He took a moment to relax, then asked, "Want to tell each other what we've done since last time?"

"Of course, I've wanted to bring you here for a long time. But I had no idea how to accomplish it. But if you want to learn more about technology here, I'm always here to help." Raphael responded as she drew him to the bean bags and sat on one of them. As she listened to him tell her about coming here, her eyes glistened with excitement.

"Ah, you know I enjoy your rambling, so why are you apologising? Come on, man! Don't be so formal with me now." She winked at him, a teasing smile on her face. She felt at ease in his presence and she relaxed into the bean bag, grateful to have him here. As they continued their conversation, she couldn't help but feel a sense of relief knowing that she had found someone who genuinely cared about her.

Her face soon became solemn as he inquired about what she had done this time. Something he seldom saw her do around him, or perhaps he only saw her this serious in the book, was when she fought against a big bad drug dealer with her allies, which was more perilous than a beginning adventurer could manage.

"On the surface, everything appears to be quiet here. This world has changed. It's increasingly perilous, and strange creatures emerge to threaten humans. It happened a week after I returned from your world. I can feel things becoming worse, and after they appear, I can't go back to you, no matter how hard I try. The 'Shadowgrims' may appear at any moment and at any place and then suck the aura out of humans, leaving them dead. The danger is not limited to physical threats alone. The very essence of this world seems to be shifting, with unseen forces at play. It's a constant battle to stay one step ahead and protect oneself from the lurking dangers that lie in wait."

Noticing the bean bags and seeing Raphael take a perch in one of them, Musashi flopped into one as well, quickly finding it more comfortable than he initially gauged. He turned his attention to the beauty in white and quickly noticed her cute little wink and the invitation to share more of his stories. He blushed slightly at the encouragement and started to form a plan of what to share in his head, but first took a moment to listen to her, focusing more intently when he heard about the Shadowgrims and their often deadly hunts. He reacted, "Damn..I guess my instincts were right. I wondered if you were in danger, but if these creatures are just popping out and draining people dead every night, the whole city is at risk. These Shadowgrim sound a bit like the Oni my family swore to destroy."

Ready to tell his story, Musashi recalled, "I continued training with my father and aunt, and a good thing too, because after another couple of years I would wind in up having a crazy adventure I would never forget." He revealed, "In the middle of a training session, I was whisked out of my family's backyard and into this castle surrounded by people I'd never seen before. Leading them was a young princess, who apparently worked her magic to summon me in hopes I would help them fight an invading empire. At first I wanted to them just send me home and not pull me into battles I knew nothing about, but they regretfully said they couldn't until the war ended. I reluctantly went along with it, and in time I came to appreciate the friends I made there and got to thinking that my family would want me to help since I had the power to." At the word 'power', he shared, "Oh yea: my super strength has developed wonderfully: I'm now strong enough to throw an iron tank through a stone wall!" He then continued, "After several death-defying battles, I freed that kingdom from the invaders and helped put a much kinder Fuhrer on the throne of the once-invasive empire. After staying for a while, I asked to be sent home, but they had no instant solution, so I went in search of one, eventually discovering that my world and theirs were just 2 of many! It got me so curious that even after I found a magic item that could bring me home any time, I never stayed there long; I just had to see what was out there, and in doing so I eventually learned about the Paper Mage Fayya. She used the storybook with your young self on the cover to send me here."

Back
Top Bottom