Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Regaurding moderators.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna

Supernova
I am noticing this site is getting bigger by the minute and it probably needs some more moderators. If this is true, I'd be happy to volunteer.

But maybe I'm just overly cautious.

Luna said:
I am noticing this site is getting bigger by the minute and it probably needs some more moderators. If this is true, I'd be happy to volunteer.

But maybe I'm just overly cautious.
I do one, maybe two mod actions a day. Yesterday, that was only because I got bored and hunted kids on the site.

Hmm, well I don't trust people to behave on this site after they've been on for a period of time. And bots will infect the site sooner or later.

I noticed Darker picked mods based on favorites and I hope its different on this site.

• When I pick mods, I pick people I know and trust and that have experience being a mod or admin elsewhere.

If that's playing favorites, then yes, I am guilty.
      [/list:u][/list:u]

Luna said:
Hmm, well I don't trust people to behave on this site after they've been on for a period of time. And bots will infect the site sooner or later.

I noticed Darker picked mods based on favorites and I hope its different on this site.
I think most people, despite what they feel about me, trust that they shouldn't try to fuck with the site unless they really, really know what they're doing.

Picking out moderators is always a difficult decision.

People are rarely motivated to do the work involved. Blue Moon right now needs popularity far, far more than more/newer mods.

People who are motivated often try to leverage it for their own ends. You have to tolerate this to some degree, of course, but this is the 'power attracts the corruptible' mantra.

Those rare individuals who meet up with both of the above criteria are not always suited to the role of moderation for one reason or another.

It's er, a pain : )

I've been a mod, I've been an admin (not a good one, sadly). It's a huge pain in the ass.

Tthe priorities stated sound about right -get the people in first, then worry about herding them. :cool:

DOM said:
I've been a mod, I've been an admin (not a good one, sadly). It's a huge pain in the ass.

Tthe priorities stated sound about right -get the people in first, then worry about herding them. :cool:

Somewhat. The way you guide people while your community is first forming has a lot to do with influencing your forum's culture. Just, you only need a few for that, really.

I've ran a guild before on gaia and yes, that was our first priority to get it popular. Next thing you know we have a bunch of idiots who decide to post things against TOS because we recruited the wrong people and I didn't have the time to ban them all myself because I didn't have all day to bust them. I had to get a bunch of crew members and vice captains to help.

Again, maybe I'm just overly cautious, but I guarantee you that popularity can lead to a flood of gaia fags and bots. Darker was like that too.

See, I'm currently unemployed and caring for my dad while he's laid up with a busted leg. I have time, nothing but time, in excess. If I get to the point where me training a new mod becomes worthwhile, believe me when I say we'll do it. Otherwise, yes, we're fully aware of the hazards that come with this job.

Alright. Forget I said anything.

I apoligize if I came off as a know it all. >.>"

Actually, what you said definitely has merit. Given the size of the place in a few short days its been here, I've often thought about making the pitch to add a few more mods to make sure that everything goes according to plan. But, as we've recently heard from others, it's not really needed at the moment, but in due time, it will become increasingly necessary.

BlisteredBlood said:
Actually, what you said definitely has merit. Given the size of the place in a few short days its been here, I've often thought about making the pitch to add a few more mods to make sure that everything goes according to plan. But, as we've recently heard from others, it's not really needed at the moment, but in due time, it will become increasingly necessary.
Five people actively watching the site should be enough to handle 500 active members. We haven't even broken 100 yet.

Thats exactly what I was talking about Try with few mods and such being able to keep a hand/eye on the whole site and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom