Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Chaste love can't remain chaste [DOM + Confrazzled]

DOM

Super-Earth
Edward Naismith almost skipped down the stairs of his modest two story house. He had spent hours making himself look presentable. Not just presentable -with his tailored dark grey suit accented by his flowing white overcoat. His short blond hair was gelled and slicked back repeatedly until there was literally not a hair out of place. He walked with quick deliberation towards the white coupe that was sitting, idling in his driveway. He stopped and looked it up and down. Their family should be impressed, though he doubted that they would be so impressed that they would let on. Unconsciously he reached out and patted the hood -this car was not only stylish and prestigious, but the engine he'd had it outfitted with had quite literally saved his life.

He didn't think about that now -no, as he got into the car and sped down the road. As he passed by manicured lawns and queit residential houses he
thought only of her. Growing up together they'd had such happy times playing so many games. Though a girl she had never shied away from the many adventures that children come up with, the games of exploration or acting out tales of bravery. He had started to notice how pretty -for her age- that she was. He had began to think of marriage, and even on her tenth birthday had cornered her and covered her face with innocent kisses. She said she never told anyone, but it wasn't long until her family had announced that they were moving away.

He had not heard much from her, indeed he had been absorbed in matters of his own over the years. That innocent crush was fallowed in the succeeding years by increasingly less innocent relations -eventually resulting in his being given a choice -play on his school's track team, or face expulsion. He had taken to the sport naturally, being quite lithe despite his increasingly large frame. He had gotten many commedations on his performance on the field but what he really took pride in was racing his custom-built automobiles..

It was this life of idle pleasures which he had lost himself in when he had receieved the telephone call. His family wanted him to settle down, raise a family and persue a serious career. He had smiled at the irony -two weeks earlier a friend from school had approached him with a lucrative offer which allowed him -no, encouraged him- to persue his love of driving and had already ensured that he would never want for money again. He was about to make an excuse when they mentioned her.

He was shocked to the core with unexpected pleasure as the memories had flooded through him. He was oblivious to what his father said until he heard the words "insist that you two marry". He smiled an idiot's blissful smille, and thankful he was alone. "Of course -I completely agree" he said absently. Since then, he had been lost in daydreams. He remembered her innocence, her grace. He had forgotten the fights they'd had -no, rather they had been reshaped in his mind. He couldn't wait to see her, and the gentle, shy woman he was sure she had grown up to become.

Finding himself at her parent's door, he exhaled. Excited he would have to wait no longer, he raised his fist to the door and knocked.

â??Felicity, dearheart, there are certain . . . items that we have waited for a long time before bringing them to your attention. But it seems that we can no longer shield you from them.â? Felicityâ??s fatherâ??s tone turned serious here. Heâ??d been working up to saying something important all afternoon, the college student knew. It had been written across his face, the set of his shoulders. She just wondered why it had to be said here, in the stiff parlour, perched on Chippendale chairs used only for the most genteel company. It was something important enough to summon her away from Saint Angelaâ??s College for Refined Young Ladies, from orchestra practice, from the concert that loomed two mere evenings away. It was only hours later that her father approached the crux of his summons.

â??â??you have to understand, we wanted you to have a happy childhood,â? her mother interjected.

â??But it is time for that childhood to be over now,â? her father stated, the final word on the topic.

Wanted? Felicity clutched the handle of her clarinet case in her lap, her knuckles turning as white as its ivory. â??But I do not understand,â? Felicity murmured, â??this is not about Aunt Kay, then?â?

A long pause. â??No. This has nothing to do with your aunt. It is far moreâ??â?

â??Stop drawing it out!â? hissed her mother, green eyes flashing.

â??Caroline, it is not like it shall be the end of her life.â?

â??I just wish you had consulted me before doing something so rash,â? her mother interjected again, looking out of the sunny window.

Her father ignored this last pointed comment, and plowed onwards. â??You are in college now, dearheart, and hardly a child anymore. And certainly at a girlsâ?? school there are few enough prospects for you. And even so, you have been far from forthcoming about those that do exist. Now, we had hoped that some of your â??bosom friendsâ?? would perhaps possess inheriting older brothers or somesuch, but it seems not to be the case . . . but then, our old neighbours the Naismiths approached us with a very commendable offer for your hand . . .â?

â??Eddie? Eddie Naismith?â? The words were scarce more than a whisper, the flutter of an outpushed breath. Her spine propped erect like a wooden dollâ??s in the outmoded corset that she still wore, she sat stock still, refusing to tremble. It took Felicity a moment to compose her thoughts into some sort of order. Little Eddie, flax-haired, taunting Eddie, whoâ??d chased her about the gardens and sheâ??d chased him right back for all of those summers of their childhoods. And, ashamed as she was to admit it, her first kiss and her last. Not that sheâ??d ever told a soul, no, that had been up to one of the maids cleaning the second-floor windows. â??B-but this is ridiculous!â? Felicity replied, completely flabbergasted and apple-green eyes reeling madly, wringing her pale hands and struggling to remain perched, toe-length seafoam-green day dress, ruffles, bustle and all, on that dratted uncomfortable seat. â??We hardly know each other and I . . . I have school . . .â?

â??That is part of it, Felicity dearheart. You will not have school, not unless you marry Mr. Naismith. You little childhood companion, Edward. He and his family have graciously agreed to finance the rest of your education, among other things. We really need not speak to the dean about ejaculating you, hmm? I would think you would be a little more grateful at this serendipitous turn.â? His fatherâ??s tone was velvet-soft, but steel hovered just below the surface.

â??Just when . . . when would I be meeting this . . . fiancé?â? the girl forced out the words, almost afraid to ask. Certainly too afraid to meet her fatherâ??s eyes with her own emerald set, hiding instead behind a curtain of a few lightly waving tendrils of jet hair, escaped from their old-fashioned upsweep of tortoiseshell combs.

â??As a matter of fact . . .â? her mother wrung her hands nervously, and glanced at the parlour door. â??Momentarily.â?

An anonymous servant opened the oak door and nodded politely. "They're waiting for you in the parlor" they said crisply. Edward pushed past them, handing off his white overcoat as he passed "take care of that would you?" He asked absently and stepped inside the parlor. He disquised a sharp intake of breath with a smile -Felicity was every bit as pretty as he imagined. The disappointed look on her face made her appear almost meek and withdrawn, shy even. She was even ...prettier... than he had imagined. "Felicity it is so very good to see you again."

He strode into the room and turned away from her and approached her father. "Well, sir -I'd like to say what an honor it is to take your daughter's hand -my father already told me of your desire for me to take care of her." He looked and in that moment he was caught in a reverie of pure, almost virginal love. "Felicity, sweet girl -isn't this wonderful?" he asked approaching her. He stopped and looked at her curiously -wondering why she didn't seem to share his enthusiasm.

"Well, you know girls today" Felicity's father said, approaching Edward, clapping a hand on the young man's shoulder "their heads are getting filled with all manner of nonsense. Felicity here has refused to consider any sort of future beyond her music." Edward blinked and then looked down, noticing the clarinet case for the first time. "She's quite good, but she's going to need to settle down"

"Something that you, yourself need to do as well" Edwards' own father chimed in "You two were so close as children -we felt that if ever two people had a chance for a happy marriage it would be you two -and we're glad to hear you agree..." The men faced each other in a small circle, oblivious to Felicity and to Edwards' mother who was beaming with happy pride and oblivious to Felicity's mother whose face seemed ...sadder? angrier?

The middle-aged woman strove to hide her expression quickly though, concealed behind a mask of distance and distraction as she rose to pour tea for each of her guests. â??Unless of course you would prefer coffee? We have a lovely Brazilian blend . . .â? she offered, though her words fell rather to the background. Her dismissal to her daughter, and to her husband, really, though it drew Mrs. Naismith into conversation quite capably. A conversation of which coffees to purchase and which teas to order, descending quickly into hints and logistics of household management.

And this was what they expected her to become? So soon? The lady of the manor, the angel of the house, flitting about and setting things to rights in a myriad of ways that others would never notice? Felicity was a good girl, the archetypal Gibsonâ??s girl, truly, and knew that she wanted this for herself some day, but she merely wished yet for a little more time in the sun, and to extend and relish in the purity of the golden afternoons of her maidenhood. She wished yet to add her brushstrokes to the canvas of the world, rather than focusing all of her attentions within the confines of four walls. Whether those be the walls of a rambling mansion, as such she was accustomed, or something less grand. And, if she were to marry Eddie Naismith, it certainly would not be less grand.

But all that Felicity really desired was her music. She cared little enough for the man before her, for all of their tender childhood memories, the cut of his suit over his otter-sleek frame, his immaculate grooming, his rapt face trained on her. He really did cut an impressive figure, the girl could not help noting, her gaze softening slightly as she actually met his eyes and darted her glance away, meekly blushing. Folded and refolded her hands upon her lap, around the hilt of her casehandle. â??I . . . ah, it is too early to tell,â? she replied somewhat diplomatically, in between her fatherâ??s words. What she felt . . . was not the complete outrage she had initially anticipated.

This was a promising sign, as far as Edward was concerned. So far Felicity had been quiet and demur. He had caught that look on her face, strange and enigmatic. Was it discontent? What on earth would she have to be discontented about? "Well, I have to say that I consider myself a thoroughly modern man, though of course we shouldn't be too quick to adopt every passing fad or trend" Edward faced the two middle-aged men who nodded agreeably "I think that there is, indeed, nothing wrong with hearing what the fairer sex has to say, though of course there can only be one person at the head of the table."

Edward moved closer to Felicity, though still keeping a proper distance, and smiled down to her. "I don't see what we'd have to lose. I have discussed this with your father" Edward nodded towards the older man "and we've agreed that if we decide things aren't going to work he can arrange for a quiet annulment" Edward paused, waiting to see if that had the intended effect of reassuring her. "I'm more than happy to decide on a date for our wedding -indeed, our parents have been gracious enough to handle everything so you and I needn't concern ourselves with it for a second."

Edward stood and walked towards a small bar in the study and poured himself a glass of brandy and turned to Felicity's father. "Well, for my part I am more than happy to become a member of your family. But, of course" he nodded towards Felicity "we would never dream of acting without hearing your thoughts on the matter, Dear Girl..."

Felicity wrung and rewrung her hands about that handle, the only part of her to fidget and betray her unease. So he wishes this too? Felicity mused, not bitterly but thoughtfully. It is not merely our fathersâ?? germinated idea, but Eddieâ??s as well? Then perhaps, she bit her lip, perhaps it might not be so terrible. Perhaps . . .

Mrs. Fitzworth had caught something in her daughterâ??s lance, her manner of expression, and read it where her husband could or would not. â??Perhaps the couple should take a turn or two about the garden, while we older set settle for our coffee. Surely a little chat would not fall amiss.â? She glanced sideways through her lashes towards her husband.

Felicityâ??s father turned a little reluctantly away from Mr. Naismith the elder. â??Caroline,â? he frowned, contemplating the idea for a moment, â??That just might do. Let them have their spot of romance, what?â? From his tone, there was no doubt that romance would be involved, and his daughter would fall for the young man set before her, or at least the temptation of continuing that too-precious education. Edward seemed a sensible enough chapâ??he would clear that nonsense from his daughterâ??s head soon enough. â??Felicity, perhaps you could show your fiancé to the hedged labyrinth?â? An expensive feature to the rambling grounds, surely, with a sweet little fountain and marble bench at its heart. His words, subtly and overtly, left no room for broached argument.

â??Certainly, father,â? Felicity replied, her heart beating faster now though she knew not why. She unfolded her legs, fully concealed as they were in the eruption of ruffles and bustlery of her long skirts, and offered a smile towards Edward, the closest to genuine that she had yet. He really was a well-looking man . . . â??Right this way,â? she added with a slight nod, stepping towards the French-paned glass doors of the parlour, opening to the extensive lawns of her familyâ??s manse.

Edward watched Felicity closely, but discreetly. He was happy enough to see his good friend -and if she had any of the charm he remembered her for she would make for a good wife. He had wondered about the 'annulment' qualifier about the marriage proposal -had she protested their arrangment? He looked again at her -she seemed sweet and demur enough, but since he wasn't sure he was quite eager to take his father's suggestion. "I can think of far worse things to do" he said smiling charmingly to Felicity "but I can't think of many that would be more pleasant. Would you do me the honor of showing me around the garden?"

He followed her through the the doorway out to the back yard. At first it appeared modest with it's manicured lawn, the balconey with it's tastefully restrained colums, past the small pool lined with wrought-iron tables and chairs decoraged with as leaves. It was deceptive, he noticed as he caught his stride and walked beside Felicity and looked down into her face which was almost glowing in the afternoon sunlight. "I'm afraid I haven't had much of a chance to come visit -life has kept me rather busy since I left school" he said lightly "as I'm sure you can understand. Like you, I've been putting a lot of time into an interest which ...well, I can't say much about now -but hopefully something will eventually come of".

"My -this is clever" he said as they had continued walking. He looked from side to side in admiration -the tall hedges had been cut in such a way that it was impossible to tell from a distance that there was a part in between them, leading into the labyrinth. "Have you put much thought into the kind of house you would like to live in?" he asked Felicity, looking down into her eyes.

â??Ahh, once again, certainly,â? Felicity acquiesced, bobbing her head a little more demurely than was usual, in the strangeness of the situation. She felt more than a little off-put, strolling alongside this man who was supposed to become her husband. Had they truly offered an annulment, if she wished it? Or was that merely a scrap of bait set to lure her . . .

She shook her head at herself. What use was there in resisting the inevitable, especially if it were something that she were inclined to want and enjoy, in any case? Simply the creation of undue resistance and resentment. And Edward . . . he certainly seemed to want this. To want her, well enough. So he deserved for her to at least lay aside her self-pity for a moment, and for Felicity to focus fully her attentions on him.

At his question, she bit back a laugh. It rang a little sharp yet, but felt considerably less stilted than anything she had yet said in the company of their parents. â??Truth be told, I have not much considered it, aside from the fact that I do not wish to live here,â? she replied, glancing up at him. He was so much taller than her 5â??4 frame. â??Percy will inherit, as one might expect. As for my own residence I . . . truly have not thought much beyond my schoolyears, and there are some few ahead yet.â? She turned about a corner of the maze, confronting another wall of the little rounded emerald leaves, groomed of course by the gardener so not a one was out of place. â??I suppose that I should hang back somewhat, and allow you to lead your own way through the maze. Otherwise I am quite inclined to spoil it for you. Though I must admit . . . part of this feels rather like the playing grounds of our childhood. A grand adventure, though I have navigated this maze more times than I can surely count. I am invigorated by its novelty to you. But, I am babbling,â? she caught herself, clasping her hands before her, half-hiding in the folds of her skirts. â??What manner of house have you envisioned for yourself?â?

Edward was encouraged, she seemed to be less reserved while alone with him. He felt as though time had refined her, as if she had been put through some forge which had burned away the anger and the occasional forwardness she'd had as a child and had left only this pure specimen of feminity. "No, I rather miss following you as a child. Walking with you spoils me enough, I'm quite happy to have you guide me where you will, and at your own pace." he replied crisply, but lightly.

"Well, we could be comfortable in the house I have right now, but we will, of course, want to expand for the sake of entertaining." He hesitated briefly "and of course we'll want room for the children to play in." He watched her, guaging her reaction. In all honesty while he was a man of his age, he was not that fond of the idea of having children -though they would not be his problem, of course. "It will of course need to be large enough to maintain respectability, but not so large that you could not manage it..."

Felicity halted, and bit her lip before smiling coyly. â??Perhaps we might make a game of this, then,â? she asked. Was it too boldly? â??You have a pocketwatch, yes? Why not . . . set a time to find the centre, and I shall trail after you. Perhaps set the stakes at . . .â? no, that certainly was too bold. She wished to say, her tenth birthday present, but that surely was too forward for a proper lady, even if she had kissed the fellow before. A kiss was a promise, her mother had told her enigmatically once, and with it you promise more than you can know. â??If you wish, that is. Perhaps my fancy is a tad childish . . .â? She rocked back on her heels, regarding him.

It took her more time, however, to broach his other question. â??Children are an eventuality, and I should hope, quite some time off. I am but nineteen,â? she reminded him, trying to dilute her emphatic tone, though some of it pervaded her words nonetheless. â??It seems such an early time for one to consider coordination of servants and menus and children and . . . it all feels so distant to me yet. While I shall want it, and want it well, I feel as yet . . . unsuited.â? Felicity held more words on the topic but she stoppered them, again falling into step behind her fiancé. He certainly did not wish to hear her dissertation in entirety. â??It would seem that your fiancée is a bit childish on many counts,â? she added warmly, halfways to cajolingly.

Back
Top Bottom