Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

The next morning, at eight am, Clara Princeton came in the parlour at exactly eight o'clock to find both princesses, the Dunwynian one in her regular hero outfit, and the Cordonian one in a smock splattered with paint and busy at an easel, constantly glancing over to where the hero sat on a chair.

Meanwhile,Cinnamon knocked on Clair's door, called for her, then went up a few doors and was less polite, banging on it and yelling, "Not like YOU to sleep in, Doc! Time to make the donuts, awready! I don't see you pop your head out in five minutes, I'm coming in there with melted snow to dump on you!"

Clair might want to look out her window, as indeed, far as she could see, a blanket of white covered the Scottish hills. Maybe a good three inches! And apparently the hunt was taking place as the king stood talking to Amethyst and possibly one of her parents? She would also see Aurora approaching the trio from the woods talking to them. Had something happened on the hunt to require the doctor? The faces Clair would be able to see: Amethyst and Aurora's looked solemn, but otherwise not worried... And Cinnamon must not have looked out a window, Aurora was plainly visible and awake.

Clair would be dressed and ready as Cinnamon came knocking, joining her as they moved on toward the other doors.

Though as they knocked on the door Clair looked over toward the window.
"Umm, Cinnamon, what do you think is going on out there?" She asked, causing Cinnamon to go over and drag Clair with her, peeking out the window.

Cinnamon looked at the expression of the young lady knight and let out a sigh and mutter of "Bother." She looked at Clair. "Nothing good, I'd imagine. Doc's there. Bundle up, it's cold out there. And wet. I'll alert our hostess. I doubt we need the princess or Avenger." Turning away from the window, she went to her room, grabbed her coat and stomped down the stairs, leaving Clair to put on her own coat, if she had one given her by one of the other ladies.

(Wendy would have bought her one in Grovershire. I don't know if you would have had Clair's parents bring her one from home or not)

Clair would grab the coat that was gotten for her before looking for Cinnamon, then once realizing that she had already headed down, went down as well. As for her parents, they would have packed a set of coats just in case they needed them, and they looked to be quite well-made and unique.

Ruby would insist in going with them, causing Avenger to ask, "What about the portrait your own mom commissioned you?"

Ruby looked at it, then at the ladies, then Avenger. She gave a pout. "Why do you just HAVE to be right?" She grabbed Clair gently. "Tell me all when you return! Leave nothing out!" She then picked up her pallette and returned to painting.

Clara shook her head and said nothing, but did give Clair a sidelong look with a knowing smirk, before hurrying for her own coat.

As they trekked over towards them, Amethyst met them before they could see who besides Aurora was with the king.

"Since you three need to be nosy, I need two of you that have some strength, and the third to wait towards the road," She pointed, "And wait for Doctor Galen. The runner was sent about an hour ago to fetch the royal physician."

Clara sighed, "Lik Clair cae do mooch liftin'. Clair, ye cae wait for Dr. Galen. Tell 'em Wee Laird Princeton is wi' the injured, he'll stay 'is normal mouthin'. Mak sure ye say the Wee Laird as tha' will mean me; he and father do NOT get along. If ye jes say Laird Princeton, I hope ye dinnae mind gettin' a earful. Remember. Wee Laird."

She grabbed Cinnamon and headed with Amethyst, lucky for Clair, Princess Sapphire trudged over. "Want company while you wait? I witnessed everything, and even helped cut Lady Bernice and her dog down." Clair would be able to get the gossip for Ruby straight from the witness!

Clair looked toward Ruby as she was grabbed and nodded in return.
"Of course, I'll take notes and read them to you, or let you read them." She agreed.

She would notice the sidelong look and smirk from Clara, but would not know how to read into it properly.

Clair would write in her notebook after having a confused look for a moment, her brain attempting to translate what she had just heard from Clara.
"Wee Laird Princeton is with the injured? I'll say that, right?"

"Oh Princess Sapphire, yes that would be very helpful thank you" She would smile and take a seat with her as she prepared to document the story as the princess told it.

Once she was ready Princess Sapphire would start to tell the story of how she would see that Lady Bernice would be setting up her spring trap with her dog, then as she went to walk away at the last second decided to toss a stray stick to clear her camouflage. However, when she did this, her dog immediately chased the stick. She tried to stop the dog but it was too late and they were both caught.

Clair simply nodded and wrote down what she was told word for word.

Clara nodded. "Aye, jes so."

The Merchant and the Grecian Princess would be waiting nearly another hour before a carriage pulled up, and a footman would get out, and help an older gentleman, greying and with a bald spot right in the center of the crown of his head, dressed in a dark coloured three piece suit with a bag similar to the one Aurora had. "An' who d'we 'ave 'ere, now?" He asked in a Scottish brogue that was a lot more thicker than Clara's.

Before Clair would have a chance to answer, another carriage pulled up, and a gentleman stepped out with a bag absolutely the same as Aurora's, crest and everything. He was dressed in a three piece suit much finer than the other, in colours Clair would remember from Aurora's red and white gown. "Doctor Richard Arden, I'm looking for my student, Aurora Service. She said I should come sooner than a trice." He had all the airs of retired military and a European accent that Clair would have heard from only two other people. Princess Ruby and Aurora.

Sapphire looked between the two doctors. "Uhh... Clair? Do you want me to take the guest in the manor for you? Or the doctor for Lady Beaumont and her dog?" She was definitely confused what to do; Clara said a doctor, not two!

Clair was certainly processing a lot as the two Doctors arrived, unable to respond for a multitude of reasons before given a large enough window after Sapphires questions.
"Oh umm, I uhh, right, Sapphire, I'll bring Doctor Richard Arden to Aurora if you can assist the other" She suggested.

Once Sapphire agreed Clair would change her focus toward the Doctor.
"Right, Doctor, I am Clair Handler, umm, right this way." She would say before starting to lead him toward where she suspected Aurora to be.

As Sapphire approached with the Scottish royal physician, Gregor nodded and then pointed in the direction of the injured party, lady and her dog, Cinnamon and Clara had just carried out. He was already talking to Bernice and checking her ankles.

Aurora had tried to help, by telling him where the injuries on Bernice were, but the royal physician kept waving her off, not even bothering with conferring with her as a peer. Calling her a "wee gil and to go play."

Aurora bristled. As her mentor and Clair would approach, they would hear her declare to the older physician in a sharp tone. "Doctor Galen. I'll have you know, not only am I not a little girl, I'm 20 years old, a duchess in Cordonia, but also a medical resident under the tutelage of Dr Arden, a Lieutenant in her majesty Kenna's royal army. I'm the court physician!"

Galen glared at her. "T'en go play soldier, and leave the doctorin' t' th' professionals, aye? Yer in Scotland. Yer title means nae a t'ing here. Unnerstand? Go knit or whatever i-tis ye do!" Then he muttered under his breath about women trying to take over men's work, and if they're not put in their place, they'd try to run countries. And Cordonia must be a sissy country with a woman running it.

Arden looked incensed. Not just for Aurora's sake. "Clair. I don't know you from Adam, yet, but as a proper lady, are you going to let that sexist get away with insulting your friend, and your gender?" It seemed he was in teaching mode, and had a lesson for Clair on standing up for herself. Something Aurora had already learned by her comeback.

Clair watched, frozen at the confrontation between the two, she had of course encountered this kind of sexism before, inventing was also traditionally a men's role after all. Not to mention building and mechanical work. Though whenever she was confronted she folded, not being one for confrontation.

"Huh? Me? I umm, well, I umm... Should I perhaps say something? I mean I don't want to be a bother, but I guess I umm, okay" she nervously fiddled with her fingers as she contemplated needing to be argumentative. She didn't stand up for herself but she didn't want to see her friend pushed down by anyone.

"I umm, excuse me sir, but Doctor Aurora saved my life when I was infected with a deadly poison, I assure you she is a skilled and qualified professional." She said, to him meekly.

Aurora shot Clair a grateful look as Galen arose from his examination, coming to the same conclusion as Aurora had been trying to tell him he would.

Dr. Arden looked at Clair as a proud father, or uncle, or even a school instructor. "Well done, indeed." He then nodded to Aurora before addressing Galen. "Then, as a fellow royal physician, tell me, sir, what is your diagnosis?"

As Galen suggested getting Bernice in the house, preferably in a basket carry, and keeping the injured leg elevated, as well as getting her cleaned up and the scratches medicated, even stated the linens needed for the knee and ankle and how to wrap them tightly, Arden raised an eyebrow. "I take it you have never treated in battle, Dr. Galen?" As the Scot shook his head, Arden nodded. "Then I suggest you watch Aurora and I closely as we both treat Bernice right where she lays. You can do more damage, especially to her knee, by moving her before you wrap it." He pointed to Aurora, who was talking to Bernice as she gently moved her leg into a more comfortable position. "Also, your bedside manner could use some work. Your patient told you her knee didn't like the position you insisted on putting her leg." He then walked over to Bernice and carried a conversation with her as he and Aurora wrapped Bernice's leg, ankle to thigh.

The king came over as this was going on. "Dr. Galen, although I appreciate your promptness, you should know my daughter had an emergency major surgery about a week ago and survived. This young lady was already a friend of my daughter. How many doctors do you know who have started their careers two for two, and both were already friends with each other?" He gave Clair a subtle smile and wink, "and both of said doctor's patients became her friend. Right Clair?" Apparently Gregor wanted to help Clair see she wasn't just some low end nobody. And standing up for herself was hard, but it's own reward. What Clair had even done for Calla before either of them needed Aurora's help was already special. He leaned over and whispered for her ears only, "just don't tell my daughter's heroic secret, aye?"

Clair was relieved when it seemed he wasn't going to argue back or yell at her for speaking up her heart had been racing from what she had done.

Clair returned the looks she got with a somewhat still nervous smile, doing her best to show support but unable to hide her internal struggle of social confrontation. She had decided to keep herself somewhat distracted by taking notes on what the doctors were saying, mostly about the specifics of their medical practices.

Once the King came over and smiled at her and winked as he spoke to the new doctor she was not sure what to do, embarrassed again she simply focused on her notes as she returned her nervous smile, attention wasn't something she was super comfortable with just yet. Though as he whispered to her she would confirm with a nod.

The only reason Galen didn't have anything to say to Clair after her "tirade" (in his opinion) was because the other royal physician, Aurora's mentor, had stepped in and (rightly) called him out on his bedside manner (or lack thereof) among other things. And now the king had joined in. If Amethyst wasn't in conversation with the one parent, there would be no doubt they would have been right there, too. In fact, Amethyst reminded them she had swore to both Clair and her princess she would keep them safe. In Amethyst's opinion? That also meant protection from themselves.

"I think that medical UNprofessional has had enough of a tongue lashing. First Aurora, then your daughter, then Aurora's mentor and now the King himself. No sense beating a dead horse, correct?" She asked, laying a hand gently on a shoulder. "Let's get back to our duties with the rest of the foxhunt."

Aurora and Dr. Arden would basket carry Bernice in and Clara would poke Clair. "If yer gettin' a wee chilled like me, I think we're done. Let's get in and warmed up. Cinnamon already did on me order t' have hot tea ready for us."

They nodded in return.
"Right" and would return to their duties with her.

Clair looked to Clara and nod as well.
"Yeah, I am getting a bit cold" She would say as she placed her notebook back into her bag for the walk.
"Some hot tea sounds nice" She agreed and would walk with her back.

With a nod Clara led Clair back to the manor house and inside, shredding her coat as she did so, and hanging it on a peg. "There's an extra fer ye, Clair. We gotta go back oot there to get the ladies their lunches. Personally, they should come in an' warm up, but father donnae want the bloody hounds traipsing aboot th' blinkin' house gettin' mud everywhere." It might sound a bit like Clara had a sore spot when it came to her father's rules, as her tone gradually got bitter as she finished her sentence.

Clair nodded and hung her jacket up as well
"Oh right, thank you, and right my family has similar rules, they want to keep the shop looking as clean as possible all the time, and it's easier if only our customers are the ones making messes" she admitted.

Clara gave an eye roll, sighed, but still nodded. "Aye, as it should be in a public place o' business. But t'is be a residence, an' nae open to all. Private buildings hae a diff'rent set o' rules, they do, lass."

She then smirked as Ruby glomped Clair in a leaping hug, which was very unprincesslike. "Okay, spill, what happened? And who's the guy that came in with the good doctor?"

Calla raised an eyebrow, yet smiled. Clair was indeed fitting in, and that wasn't all .. "SOMEbody's got a crush." She teased, causing Ruby to turn as pink as her middle name. A rose.

Clair nodded in return thinking about the difference.
"Right, I guess since I was raised in a store they are kinda the same to me, but our more private area in the back had similar rules. Though my workshop I liked to keep clean just because it's better for tool health" she admitted.
"I suppose I don't really know that kind of lifestyle all that well." She added with a thought.

Clair saw Ruby at the last moment and just hardly managed to prep herself in time for the leaping hug.
"OH! heh, hey Ruby, oh umm, another doctor, though I am not sure it's my place to say too much."

"A crush? She didn't jump that hard at me? Or was it the hug? I don't think either of us are strong enough for it to be described as a crush" Clair absentmindedly questioned.

Calla giggled. "Turning a phrase as it were, dear Clair. A term apparently Princess Ruby knows quite well. I'm just saying..." Before Calla could say anything about romance or interested, Ruby barked a sharp, "Hush, you! Say no more or I pull the princess card, hero!" If it wasn't clear yet, Ruby clearly had it bad for Clair but wanted it hushed and not public knowledge yet.

Ruby sat down on the couch, and smiled sweetly at Clair, "Come. Sit by me and tell me what transpired outside. I only know what I saw, and that was Doctor Aurora and that guy basket carry Lady Bernice of Ramsford in here and take her up to her room. They haven't came back down yet."

Clair looked between them at their back and forth, a puzzled look on her face as she tried to figure out what she had missed.
"Huh? I feel like I missed something, but sure" She nodded and sat with her offering for Calla to sit on her other side as she pulled out her notebook.

"This might be the best way to relay what transpired with the most accuracy, I'll read the notes I took" She explained as she started to do just that, explaining what had happened verbatim.

Ruby shook her head as Clair finished. "My, the other doctor sounds like such a cad! Lady Bernice needed comfort even if she can be a jerk sometimes. Good for the rest of you, I say. How did he become a physician?"

Clara shrugged. "And especially the royal physician. I thought our king was brighter than this. At any rate, ladies, this isn't getting those brooches made. We each hae two to make an' only a wee bit o' time to do it." She clapped her hands twice to get everyone to start.

Clair nodded along and decided to speak up.
"Well a lot of it is the field, since there are so many men in it no one would have seen that side of him before, with no opportunity to have it revealed. My father said there were guys he fought with for years before one day seeing an ugly side to them like that."

With the clap, Clair started to craft, her hands very used to such work with her inventions.

As Clara said, the five remaining ladies had two brooches to make a piece as Aurora was busy, in conference, with her mentor. He did have several weeks to catch up on.

Just as the fivesome: Cinnamon, Clair, Clara, Princess Calla and Princess Ruby finished their crafts, Dr. Arden appeared at the top of the stairs. "I request the presence of Princess Calla Dunwyn and Lady Clair Handler. You other three will have to do without them, and my medical resident. I will need her to help with the examinations. If you please, ladies, follow me to Dr. Aurora Service's borrowed room slash office?"

Calla sighed. She then asided to Clair, "Why do I have a feeling Aurora ratted our recent medical records to him? What's with doctors and their blasted second opinions?" She apparently didn't fully listen to Dr. Arden say Aurora was only a medical resident. She technically was still learning.

Clair looked up to see who had entered and listened to them, though kept crafting and stood up as well.
"Oh umm, maybe but perhaps there is another reason they called us" She suggested, not wanting to presume anything bad.

Calla shrugged. "Still sounds like she ratted us out to me. I've a good mind to disobey father's 'you can only be a hero' rule during court and pull the princess card, even though Cordonia is an ally. We just had our examinations, you just before my surgery a little over a week ago, and mine a few days ago during my weekly follow-up. It reeks of day old fruit in the hot summer sun!"

Aurora bristled as she overheard Calla. "Is that so, Avenger? Well, I've a good mind to flash MY only a resident card, and order you to see my mentor, a Lieutenant in Queen Kenna's Royal Army as your medic. How do you like those apples, hmm?"

Arden chuckled. "At ease, girls. Last thing I need is a doctor/patient catfight that puts the physician needing a medic. I've picked you two, because of your recent health issues for character references on my resident's work ethics and her bedside manner."

So, basically, in a sense, Clair had been right. Arden was testing Aurora, not second guessing her!

Back
Top Bottom