Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

Ethel would stay back and watch, though did speak up before they would begin to move forward.
"I trust you don't want to maim these men? Perhaps the sword is a bit much for a bare-hand brawl, but if you think you can use it and not have anyone accidentally impale themself on it charging you, all the luck to you, just know this is the only warning I'll offer."

Ethel would plan to follow them, in case she needed help, but otherwise would stand back and let her learn.

The Captain of the Guard glanced over to Ethel and nodded. It would only be clear to her, that he was thinking the same thing. Turning back to Wendy, he said only four words: "Read the room, Private."

The brawling had already began by the time Wendy got a chance to really pay attention to the others. No sooner that she resheathed her sword, one burly male guard who was actually a semi-friend charged her with a broken rum bottle. Pushing her Captain down and hovering over him, she grabbed the front of his tunic, ducked her head and used his own momentum to send him over her back and face first in front of Ethel. Wendy pulled her Captain back up, kept her hands over his head and continued a graceful protective dance around fists, bottles and other things.

The five minutes and two hundred feet felt like at least an hour and a mile. When they got to the end of the "obstacle path" The Captain looked her over, shook his head, and said. "You did exceptional in protecting ME, Private. But..." He then pointed out her torn tunic, large bruise on her cheek, and cuts all over her face and arms. "Decent for a trial by fire. We'll work on you watching out for yourself as well as your ward." He glanced at himself and flicked off the piece of broken glass on the sleeve of his leather armour. "Protect the person you are supposed to. A plus. Protect yourself as well..." Another head shake. "C minus. By the way..." He pointed to Wendy's torn tunic, and said tongue in cheek with a teasing smirk. "You're out of uniform, Private Darling. Get cleaned up and Sergeant Ethel is back in charge of you for self defense training."

Ethel took a step to the side as the man landed in front of her, being sure to be out of his swing range should he decide to try and swing the bottle down upon his landing. As she looked down at him she placed a foot on the wrist that held the bottle before reaching down and taking it from the now-dazed man lying on the ground.
"tsk tsk tsk, so impatient, pretty sure you were supposed to wait" She scolded before walking away over him with the broken bottle now behind her back.

Once at the end, Ethel let the Captain give his response and once he said she was in her care spoke up.
"Yes, and although it might take some convincing I have an idea of how we can try and give you more experience fast, which honestly is a large portion of your issues, you are very green. However, if I and you go tavern hoping, starting fights before you need to help guard me as we leave each one, could be a good practical experience, and of course in between I will help train you on technique and the such as I see fit based on your performances"

Wendy sighed, yet still nodded. It sounded to her like the Captain of the Guard wanted her focussing on self-defense. Getting into fights in the taverns sounded like the opposite of that. "Should we see if any of Captain Hook's crew, or one of my kinda friends on the Palace Guard would like to join us? First mate MacGoughal does respect me... She just thinks I shouldn't be a sailor."

Wendy had an ulterior motive. She'd surely score major points with both MacGoughal and Hook if she protected MacGoughal at the tavern. She'd even earn bragging rights over Olivia who was stuck at the castle while Wendy was in training!

"Hmm, well that should be okay, and I suppose if protecting one person seems too easy, then two might be a better challenge for you, oh did I mention? You will be protecting me as a stand-in for your usual protectee, or what have you" Ethel nodded.

Clara MacGoughal just stared at Wendy. "Ya daft?! I c'n defend meself, wee bairn! I don't need t' remind ye th' Cap'n's security offer is fer wen ye be fully trained. I thought that'd be clear enow!"

Wendy stood steadfast, not cowering like she did at first when they first met. "And how do you expect me to be trained fully as a ship's guard if I'm only protecting Ethel?" She raised her eyebrow for effect.

"Aye, ye got a point there, but Ethel, I'm a might ashamed o' ye an' yer thinkin'. Privateers get rowdy enow, and hae started many a tavern brawl and pubfights. But nae in their own home, at least nae Hook's crew. It's just not respectful o' yer home port." She took a breath. "I'm willin' t' go along with th' trainin', but dinnae be askin' me t' throw th' first punch. I'll nae back down, neither, but I won't throw the first punch. I suggest we go to th' Sea Urchin. A pub on th' docks. Somma them blokes and lassies are alway itchin' fer a scrap. Ye might nae e'en hae t' throw th' first punch, there. Be ye warned, lassies, those be full pirates there, an' they bring swords t' a dagger fight. Ye'll also know it when they hit ye. Some lasses there hit ye like a rhino. Or an ogre. Take yer pick."

"Fun." Wendy stated sarcastic. "Sea Urchin it is, then, Ethel, if you want me to do that kind of training."

Ethel placed a hand on her chin. "Hmm, perhaps using your weapon at first is better, since it's more natural to you, it would be beneficial. You can learn the basics of tavern fighting with your more preferred fighting style first, then we can slowly incorporate unarmed combat as we continue." She nodded.
"Though I had no intention of using local taverns, this was more of a go-and-find-further-off-places deal, but I suppose you want to stay local?" She looked back toward Wendy and Clara.

Clara spoke up again. "Only four such establishments in all Neverland, all here in th' capitol area, which is where th' civilization is, ye wanna call it that, so going somewheres not local won't happen without a ship. This IS an island. Closest land is an overnight journey to Europe, Scandinavia or back to England." With a sigh, she nodded, "Sea Urchin is the best choice, since yer apt t' trainin' in pubfights. It's almost a guarantee, every night. As I said, tha's where full blown pirates go. Privateers such as Hook go to Ye Olde Buccaneer Shoppe. Tavern just down the street."

Wendy made up her mind. "As long as we can agree to not start something in the first five minutes, at least until I get something to drink, Clara's got the best idea. Sea Urchin it is."

"That settled, let's go. Palace Guards drink there, too. Ye best hope they don't peg ye as fresh meat." MacGoughal then led them to the seedy part of the capitol, and to a weather worn building that had definitely seen better days, a stone's throw from the docks where two double masted galleons were moored, both showing signs of being pirate ships, although no Jolly Roger flew on either. Clara pushed through the door that creaked, announcing their arrival before they said a word.

Wendy felt out of place immediately. Big brutes, male and female, some with scars or eye patches (a burly female had both) turned and stared daggers at all three. What's worse, she was the only Queen's Guard there. If there was ever a time to show no fear... It was now.

Ethel nodded along.
"Right, guess being on an island does give that issue, Sea Urchin it is then"

Ethel was the same as ever as they entered, she had seen this many times before and even hung around with such groups before. She walked with natural confidence and gave a gentle nod to any that might meet her eye. Her bravado seemed to fit her old form quite well but may look brash with her current younger-looking self.

Like Ethel, MacGoughal would give a cordial nod to the buccaneers that would eye the trio.

Wendy stopped at a horseshoe couch like booth about mid room and sat down. A service wench appeared not long after. "What can I get you ladies?"

"Honey Mead." Wendy replied without thinking, causing raised eyebrows all around the pub. Most pirates would know that if a Queen's Guard ordered THAT, they were usually on duty. Not a smart move... But not necessarily a bad one either. It just meant Wendy was the bodyguard of one of the other two with her.

"Scotch. Neat." MacGoughal replied, raising her eyebrow at Wendy, more out of curiosity.

Ethel took her seat beside Wendy.
"I'll take the strongest thing you got, make it a double," She said putting her feet up, Once again her younger-looking body seemed like an out-of-place order.

Wendy and Clara MacGoughal both gave Ethel nods of approval, expecting something like that from her. MacGoughal even whispering a typical (for Clara) razz Ethel's way. "Strongest, aye, an' I'm nae surprised. What I yam surprised, ye dinnae ask fer a grog or rum chaser."

Wendy choked on her chuckle.

Shortly the trio were served their drinks, and Wendy, newly 17, and having experienced the embrace and sexual experience of lesbianism, couldn't help watching the service wench retreat.

"Almo hypnotic, aye, Darling?" At least MacGoughal refrained from calling Wendy a 'wee bairn'.

A pirate with many scars but both eyes, walked over to the table and grabbed Wendy by her collars and lifting her out of her chair and about a foot off the ground. "You already have a sailor girlfriend, pervert guard. I suggest you keep your eyes to yourself, or I'll close 'em for you."

The burly woman with more scars than he, and an eye patch, lumbered over. "Avast! She's just lookin', Harris! Ye wanna start a rumble, let's go. You an' me. Less yer yella!"

As soon as Wendy was set bet down, MacGoughal downed the rest of her drink. "Methinks ye both shul drink up fast, Ethel and Wendy. Tides turnin' an' storm's a-brewin'."

Ethel chuckled in return.
"Nah, I am kinda on the clock here, in a way at least" She smirked.

Ethel stood up and placed a hand on his shoulder.
"Easy man, looking isn't a crime, and not going to lie, makes you look pretty insecure, unless you are just messing around? You're joking, right? pulling the young lady's leg?"

Last edited:
The female pirate with the eye patch narrowed her good eye as she stared the man down. "Put the lady guard down, Harris. Now. Or I'll MAKE you put her down." She looked to Ethel. "Harris don't know what a joke is, lass."

Seeing he was outnumbered, he began to lower Wendy, but before her feet touched the ground, she grabbed him by his shirt, put her feet to his chest, thought silently, This is going to hurt, but I don't have a choice., and sent him ass over teakettle halfway across the pub into an empty table, breaking it. She hung six inches off the floor, just dangling there, by strong arms.

"Yer lucky I don't have a beef with the Palace Guards or they with me. I'd had let you fall flat on your face." The pirate growled before righting her and setting her on her feet.

Angry a scrawny Palace Guard had flung him, Harris roared and charged. "Little girl, you're dead meat! Ya hear me?! Dead! Meat! I'm gonna slice ya up an' feed ya to the sharks!"

In his rage and charge he bowled over a few pirates AND the very wench he yelled at Wendy about eying. MacGoughal promptly stuck out her leg, and again Harris went flying, this time right at Ethel.

"Sorry 'bout that, Ethel, ol' gil."

Meanwhile, the pub brawl broke out around them and Wendy threw herself in front of the nearest companion... Which fortunately or unfortunately, was MacGoughal. "Thanks, Clara, now stay down, I'll get us out of here, hopefully in one piece!"

She couldn't defend Ethel until Ethel had dealt with Harris.

Ethel had intended to just watch until she may truly be needed, but the situation quickly demanded her attention as Harris was tossed in her direction. Though it was nothing new to her as she quickly saw how his momentum was going and used it to toss him back behind her going ass over head over a table once more.
"No worries, hurt him more then it hurt me I assure you." She paused for a moment.
"Wait, I should have perhaps waited to be saved, never did make a great civy" She chuckled moving to join the others, once again taking on as passive as a role as she could.
"Remember why we are here MacGoughal"

Wendy scolded Ethel just slightly. "Never mind," She blocked a flying bottle with a flick of her wrist, "Just keep your head down, both of you!" With an arm over both of their shoulders, and palm of her hands over both their heads, she made for the pub doors. She had a clear shot, thanks to the burly woman with several scars and the eye patch. The one who had called out Harris and nodded to the three when they came in.

Just as Wendy got to the door, and the burly pirate cracked two heads together, in front of Ethel and MacGoughal, someone grabbed Wendy by the back of the shirt. She shoved Ethel and MacGoughal out the door to safety, "Go! Get the Captain! Either my boss at the palace, or Hook! Woop!" She was yanked back in and the two would hear that burly female pirate yell, "Hell's bells!"

The brawling intensified to almost what would sound like a war, with swords clashing and even more stuff breaking. They could hear Wendy shouting from inside, "Yah!" And more swords clashing. Apparently when she was grabbed and yanked back into the fray, pushing Ethel and Clara out wasn't all she did. She'd drawn her sword.

If they waited, the pirate and Wendy would both stumble out five minutes later, arms around each other's shoulders like they were old mates, both with several new scars, "Damn girl! I wouldn't mind you in all muh pubfights, how'd you flip that bruiser into the chandelier?"

Wendy laughed, "I'd imagine, the same way you flung three bruisers as big as you through the back door on the other side of the pub!"

The pirate gave a jovial laugh, "Touché! Yer alright in my book, Whirlwind! Ya ever need someone to vouch for ye, call on Blackjack Sally. They'll know who ya mean." The woman gave Wendy a friendly pat on the back.

Would Ethel recognize the pirate's name?

Ethel played her part as someone in need of protection as she let Wendy guide her and MacGoughal to the exit.

Once outside she looked to MacGoughal who was out there with her.
"How long do you think it takes her to realize she shouldn't leave the ones she is supposed to be guarding unattended?" She asked as she listened in on the new commotion going on inside.

Once the five minutes had passed and she came out with her newfound friend Ethel would have her arms crossed as she waited.
"Ahh, there is our intrepid guardian, looks like you enjoyed yourself, and at least got some more combat practice in."

Ethel looked to Sally.
"Blackjack Sally hmm?" She squinted at her.
"Does the name, Saltear Sally mean anything to you?"

Wendy shrugged as the pirate folded her arms across her chest. "Like the lass had a choice, two blokes yanked her back in, and another jumped me. Why ya think I yelled"Hell's bells"? The puny guard here did alright, not only getting out of the holds but getting her sword out."

She raised an eyebrow and squint peered at Ethel. "Ya ain't old enough to know that nickname me mum, me first pirate captain christened me when I was ten, until I was 15 I went by that. Fifteen was just over three decades ago. How did you hear of that? Me mum's been dead twenty of them."

Wendy and MacGoughal both stared at Ethel. Did she know Blackjack Sally or her mother/ captain in an earlier life?

Ethel raised her hands
"Hey, I am sure you did what you had to, but if we were truly in need of a guard, out here is only slightly safer than in there, but congrats on making it out at least But perhaps we need to work on your escaping abilities."

"Oh, I read a lot of books and talk to a lot of old people, a bit of a history buff you could say." She replied, her to-go response that usually tended to work.

Blackjack Sally roared with laughter and slapped Wendy on the back, causing her to stumble forward just a little, without losing her balance completely. "Ha! She's gotcha pegged, she does, Whirlwind! I noticed THAT, meself. Too busy protectin' that wench an' her brudder the bartender, ya did! Ya need to watch out fer yerself too, ya know?"

MacGoughal glowered at Wendy. "That's what we've all been telling her. Including her favourite captain, and her shipmates. Especially me." She huffed.

She gave a skeptical look to Ethel, refolding her arms. "May be probable, I reckon. Not sure I wanna believe that's the whole story." Given neither MacGoughal or Ethel looked much over 25, Blackjack Sally shook her head, "Whirlwind, I don't think yer gettin' any tonight from yer girlfriend, she's the sailor I think she is; and unless and until ye start lookin' out fer yerself as well as her, ye might be in the doghouse a number of nights goin' forward. Just sayin'. Ain't that right, Clara? Anyway, I'm pretty sure I'll be seeing ya three again sometime. Me ship's the Queen o' th' Seas. I'd like to pipe ye three aboard sometime." With a salute, she was off.
th
Wendy sighed. "So, I definitely owe you an explanation... She's right about one thing, I had to get out of a man ahold of my arm, and the other holding my shirt and nape of my neck. He didn't have me right by my nape, he had, I'd been as helpless as a kitten in the mouth of her mother."

"Aye, an' lettin' yer new friend thinkin' I'M yer bloody girlfriend... Whirlwind."

Looked like Wendy had to explain her nickname, too.

Ethel shrugged at her response.
"Believe me or don't" She replied, quite confident, she had said that a million times over before, and although her closer to 18-20-year-old body looked like it tended to work less well at this stage but was not much more she could do other than shutting up once in a while. But either way, she would return the salute upon her leave,

"Okay ladies, I suppose that is enough for tonight, Whirlwind here needs to heal up, why don't we take your girlfriend back to base hmm?" Ethel suggested looking toward MacGoughal with a wink and a smirk.

MacGoughal glared at Ethel. "Whatchit, lass, ye be treadin' a very mirey bog right now. I think I c'n find me own way back to the Rumble Rose."

Scratched up or not, I should at least walk you to the gangplank for doing this exercise for me." Wendy said.

"Aye. I guess ye hae a point, there; this way ye c'n explain t' me & Ethel, how ye got th' nickname Whirlwind." She smirked. "I'm sure Hook, who'll be yer boss when yer trained wool need t' know."

Wendy shrugged. "I don't see how the way I twisted out of that double hold, flung one of my attackers into the chandelier over the bar, spun William, that's the bartender, behind me, drew my sword and spun, clashing swords with three pirates in three separate directions for about a minute before Sally and another pirate, Long John, I think he said he was, took two off my hands. Long John definitely earned his name. He flung his pirate across the hall in a big arc. That pirate scraped the ceiling and only a wall kept him from flying farther."

MacGoughal smirked and gave a knowing look at Ethel. "Ye hear what I did? An' she's standin' here sayin' she dinnae know how she got the nickname." She turned back to Wendy. "Think aboot how ye jus' explained it to us, ye wee breeze o'er th' heather. It'll dawn on ye."

Soon, MacGoughal was at the Rumble Rose and said farewell to the other two, leaving Wendy to head back to the base and her barracks with the other guards in training. It would be Ethel's turn.

Last edited:
Ethel walked with them, hands behind her head as she listened to Wendy and chuckled at MacGoughal's response.
"Heh, I am sure she can figure it out after some time thinking about it."

As they arrived Ethel gave a nod to the guard she was replacing before taking her post.

It'd be sunrise before Wendy would finally have an inkling of why she would now be Whirlwind Wendy to the pirates. She looked around for Ethel. "Your commanding officer is off duty until noon." The Captain replied to her questioning look. "She just got off guard duty at dawn, I told her to at least take six hours to rest. And yes, I did have to make it an order. My order to you, young lady, is self defense, or preservation. Since you don't seem to want to learn on your own, I'm ordering you to look out for yourself as well as others. You don't do your ward any good dead or maimed, Private. Now go to the doc and have those scars looked at."

Wendy was free of duty until Ethel was allowed back on around noon. Ethel would find her in the castle library, studying a big book on self defense, her cuts cleaned, but not dressed. Wendy had to wear her scars as proof of her 'disobedience' of not taking care of herself.

Ethel would take a seat beside her.
"A first-time read I am guessing?" She smirked as she placed down a book of her own, a rather new-looking one on new combat strategies, it had been released by a retired commander.

"You know, that was my hardest thing, and still is to master, self-preservation left me some time ago, as you can imagine. But it is very important even for me." She opened the book she had.
"And in combat, it's closer to instinct than strategy, but a balancing act is needed, no easy feat to try and balance two often opposing systems" She explained before starting to read as well.

Back
Top Bottom