Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

How To Deliver Justice (with KiraMusani

Clair put a hand on Calla gently.
"It's okay, we just need to have a bit more trust in our friends, that can be hard" Clair tried to reassure Calla, looking at Aurora as she was the one she was saying needed to be trusted more.

After a deep breath, Calla tipped her musketeer hat without fully removing it, to Clair in agreement to just trusting Aurora's judgement.

Arden, satisfied, nodded and said, "Now... Which of you ladies would like to give her review first? Tell me first what happened that required Service's intervention, how she treated your medical issue or issues and your experience, if you please."

Aurora took a seat, paying attention to both girls, and giving a subtle nod to them to begin.

"Oh well I was poisoned, and although unconscious for most of her efforts I am told if not for her I would of likely never woken again... as for the parts I was awake for, she was to the point and fair, though I didn't like taking a break from my projects, she made me do so, which did help in my recovery I feel," Clair spoke first.

Arden raised an eyebrow and looked at Aurora. "Intriguing." He glanced at Clair. "Projects?"

"She's the inventor I told you about."

"Ah. I see, so this stethoscope is one of your ideas, and a gift for a job well done?" Arden asked holding up the second one that Aurora had asked Clair to make for her mentor. "I must say, fascinating little tool. Let's you listen to things going on inside one's body. Cordonia is ahead in the field of medicine. Third behind Helvitia and Svea rike.¹ This device could let us take the lead fully. Thank you."

1-Present day Switzerland and Sweden

Clair nodded looking to them as they spoke back and forth.
"Oh yes, the stethoscope was me, I am glad I could help the medical field advance, I like it when my inventions help people. And hope that any future or other inventions may help more as well" she said looking toward Aurora, not sure if she had mentioned their other device yet.

Aurora shook her head, yet used it to point towards the microscope sitting on the desk, meaning she hadn't talked about it, but Arden had seen it.

Arden nodded again, "We can have a conference later." He turned to Calla. "Okay, princess. Your turn."

Calla sighed, but then explained the situation a little over a week before, the gas and pain, and what Aurora did for her. She also explained she passed out from the pain and cold during it. Aurora had been very professional yet gentle during it, and strict with the guidelines after. "Like Clair, I'm not allowed to be very active until the stitches can be removed." She concluded.

Aurora cut in, "And I told you at your check-up, that'll probably be at your next check up in five days, unless you aggravate your scar... Again. Recovery will be about a month."

Clair nodded in response, wanting to let Aurora take the lead in revealing the medical devices when she felt was necessary.

"Of course" She responded, unsure if they would talk about the microscope or other possible needs they may have she could try to innovate for.

Clair listened as they spoke about Calla and her recovery process.
"Heh, it's quite difficult to let ourselves heal I know, but I think it's a net positive gain overall to our workflow" She tried to explain to help motivate Calla to listen to Aurora.

Arden nodded. "Indubitably. You should count yourself lucky, princess, to have even survived an emergency major surgery like that. Survival rate is roughly 10%, even in more medically advanced countries like Cordonia and it's neighbor, Helvitia."

He stood up and straightened his suit. "I've heard enough, and after witnessing for myself your behaviour with Lady Beaumont, Aurora Service, you have passed. Congratulations, you are officially a practicing physician. Unfortunately, until we get home, I cannot present you with your official papers, Doctor, but that doesn't mean you aren't one."

Aurora sighed in relief, yet smiled broadly. "If it's all the same to you, Dr. Arden, I wish you would stay the remainder of the season."

Arden nodded. "Considering the reception you got from the royal Scottish physician, and the behaviours of a few of the ladies, I defer to your judgement. I'll remain throughout the season."

He looked to Clair and the Avenger. "You two are excused for now."

Aurora looked out her window. "Clara must've gotten her way. The ladies, but sans dogs are coming this way. I believe we all have serving duties. If you'll excuse us, Dr. Arden? I'm afraid I cannot get out of serving lunch since my Hippocratic oath prevented me from participating in the foxhunt."

Arden nodded and shooed them all, himself included, from Aurora's room. Clair would have Princess Ruby and Calla Grovershire, as well as a second trip to the kitchen for her parents. Ruby had the king and The Avenger, as well as Clair and Dame Amethyst. Calla, the Avenger, had only Olivia as Aurora nixed quickly Calla carrying any more than one plate. Aurora ended up with the extra plate to deliver.

Soon everyone was served and the servers could also sit for the repast of lunch.

Last edited:
Clair smiled as she listened to the others and nodded along, taking notes of course on what had transpired.
"Oh!, congratulations Doctor Aurora."

"Right, we should go and join the others in serving the hunters as well, despite not making any hypocritic oath myself, I don't think I could ever hurt a poor little fox"

With that, they left to return to their duties, Clair not very used to the cold weather bundled up the best she could and served whom she was assigned to before eventually taking her seat.

Diana meanwhile having already caught a fox was wearing the clothes she had been wearing for the rest of the games.
"Come on ladies, it's not that cold, especially if you keep your energy up, and now, we get a hot meal."

Ethel meanwhile had returned already having caught three foxes herself.
"She is right, this isn't that bad, trust me it gets way colder than this, and that would mean people need even more food. Which means you need to hunt all the better in the cold."

Aurora pulled Clair to the side when she noticed Clair put on her coat, but then sighed as even Arden slipped his on since they were eating in the much cooler outside (yet closed in) patio. "How...?" Is all she could manage, seeing Clair being so prepared.

Clara, even though she didn't really, technically, sound apologetic, said, "Apologies to th' inbound members o' our party, but so as not to hae our hunters warm up, jes t' go back in the frigid temperatures for the rest of th' hunt... Father felt it best we dine in the mostly open dining room. I suggest ye eat yer stews quick as ye can whilst it's still hot. Be sure to thank yer fellow ladies who dinnae hunt wi' ye fer serving ye lot."
"An' no gripes abow who yer around. King Gregor and my parents sat ye!"

The way it sounded from Clara, but she didn't get the whole story, the six who sat out weren't getting points for the contest, when the servers would because if they did woo, and marry, they were learning a valuable experience of looking after the "breadwinner".

During the lunch, Aurora would be next to one of Clair's parents and her mentor (Arden) and across from Olivia who was next to Clair and Ruby. Avenger was on Clair's other side. Ruby pouted, glad to be next to Olivia, but upset she wasn't next to Clair, too! Olivia separated them! The Dunwynian Princess had gotten her coveted seat next to Clair, well, either Calla or Olivia had her coveted seat.

"Hmm? Oh, I always have a coat with me, same with an umbrella, my notebook, and multiple writing utensils, as well as a few other odds and ends" She smiled.
"As my mother says, I would rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it" Clair replied.

Diana looked to and noticed Ruby's pout.
"Now, now princess, you heard the rules, no gripes about who you are beside or who you aren't" She pointed out with a slight chuckle.

Aurora nodded. "Makes sense." She stated.

Ruby just glanced over towards Diana, eating her stew. She looked over to Avenger. It might be clear to someone that apparently despite having a warrior queen for a mother, Ruby Rose might just be slightly spoiled getting whatever she wanted, when she wanted it.

Grovershire spoke to Arden, "Being a Lieutenant in the Queen's army, you're certain to know how secure your hard fought peace is in Cordonia..."

"Dame Calla, if you're asking what I think you are, in the army, you're ever ready for battle against enemies outside AND inside your country's borders. Our current peace has lasted roughly two decades, but any peace, even the peace you have here in England and Scotland is tedious. It's a fact of life."

Ruby excused herself, and left the table, storming to the parlour. Did she want a husband or wife before the 'tedious' peace Cordonia had disappeared? Was that at the root of her problem of anger for not sitting with Clair for lunch? A self imposed deadline?

Aurora looked between Clair, her parents, and Diana. "Someone should go check on her..."

Diana returned to look with a raised eyebrow, expecting a retort.

They watched as she stormed out then all looked at one another before Aurora spoke up.
"I suppose I had a hand in her departure, but she needs to grow some thicker skin, or learn she can't always get what she wants." Diana protested.

"Maybe I'll talk to her" Clair offered after getting a glance from her parents.

With a deep breath Clair got up and went to follow where Ruby went.
"Hello, Ruby? erm, princess?"

Ruby, seated at a chair in the parlour, facing the fire in the fireplace, answered Clair before registering who she was. "Ruby's fine. You don't sound like Diana." She sniffed.

Looking around, Clair would see Ruby's painting of Crimson Avenger sitting in the very chair Ruby was in right now. The finished painting was sitting on it's easel, with the hand painted words at top: "To Mother", which meant Queen Kenna had indeed commissioned her daughter to paint the portrait. Ruby's signature was painted in a corner at the bottom.

"Suppose you want answers for my horrid etiquette, when earlier this year I was preaching proper etiquette to you, Clair, luv." Apparently, she did recognize the voice after all.

"Ruby it is then, and well sure, but also, that is a very good painting, you are quite skilled with a brush" Clair smiled as she took a seat, more wanting to comfort a friend than teach a lesson. Clair would let her talk, encouraging her to vent and talk out her troubles, it was what her parents always encouraged her to do after all.

Ruby smiled, but there was still a bit of sadness in her eyes. "Thanks, Clair. Mom wanted a portrait of Avenger." She sighed, and looked back at the fire. "I know she has to find a wife among us, and I already know she has to choose between the Grecian princesses. I heard Gregor talking to Amethyst. Unless Calla paints someone besides Diana or Sapphire..." She trailed off. "Calla isn't the only one on a deadline. And not the only one with parental pressure."

Ruby looked up to Clair. "I like Olivia. I'm probably pretty sure I'm not the only one. But, Olivia has a duchy in my own country and she is a Nevrakis. Mom's still not very trusting of a Nevrakis. Aurora is also from my country, and although she is a physician... Mom wants my betrothed to be from outside the country and doing some trade, if I go for a merchant or baron or something below my station." She hung her head. "But I don't want a princess, and I've told Mom before... I trust men as much as she trusts the Nevrakis family, which is not at all. Clair, the court season is going back to Dunwyn where it ends with a ball and Calla's decision. She wants to be a knight or hero, that's the only reason I'd pick her if I was in the running. She's about as non-princess as a princess can get, but even she wouldn't have my whole heart. I don't know what I'm going to do when asked if I'm picking someone. Mom's going to be there in Dunwyn. She's making a special trip. I have to have an answer for her."

It does sound like Ruby imposed a deadline on herself. She was afraid if she doesn't have someone this court season... Kenna will choose for her. Despite being a queen, her mom wouldn't do that to Ruby.

Clair was a little surprised by this but listened and nodded.
"Oh, well this competition is about allowing the winner to propose to someone right? And since your mother let you join, perhaps she won't be as aggressive as that?" She suggested.

"Of course, I don't know as much about it as you, and I can't speak for Olivia or any of the other girls, but I am sure that they would want to get to know you as you would them. Perhaps a lot of this stress can be mitigated by opening up like you have done just now to me, but to the girls you are interested in, or maybe even better, to your mother, maybe you have a misunderstanding about what her goals are?" Clair suggested, though was not sure if she should have even suggested anything, or if Ruby just wanted to talk.

"Or you can just tell me to shut up and listen, heh, sorry, my instinct is to try and fix things but I am better with my hands then my mouth" She admitted.

Ruby listened with her brow furrowed until the end when both eyebrows shot up, she blushed and let out a little gasp.

"Considering what we're talking about... I-I've heard of that, but didn't think I'd meet a girl like that... Oh my..." She looked shyly away. "Yes, I can talk to the other girls, but.. I can't.." a shrug "connect like that to some of them." She somehow looked resolved. "I-I really like you, Clair... I mean you're my favorite, and everything mom wants me to find... C-Could we... Umm... Sneak back to my room, and... Y'know... Show me how much better with your hands?"

Ruby was now thinking Clair wasn't just a good inventor, but good for pleasure, too. This could be exactly what she needed to decide for sure! She already loved (read "crushing on") Clair more than any of the others.

Clair noticed her reaction, but figured that she was just nervous about having to talk to her mother about something like that.

"Huh? Considering what we are talking about?" She didn't see the connection, but figured maybe Ruby just needed a distraction, she wasn't wrong about that, but she missed the mark on how she wanted to be distracted.she did blush at the compliments, on how she was her favourite and would meet her mother's requirements.

"Oh, show how I am better with me hands?!" She was excited, most people weren't interested in the actual creation portion of her work. Of course her mind immediately went to her inventions, not at all close to what was on Ruby's mind.
"But your room might make things difficult, all my tools and stuff are in my room, could we go there?"

Ruby started to wonder if they really were talking about the same thing, as Clair explained about not having room, Clair not having the tools with her? Were those fake fingers? However, when she was invited to CLAIR'S room, she brightened. Of course! Even as the inventor, this would still meet Ruby's requirements, if it wasn't relief she could get, she'll settle with learning more about her, with maybe some "playtime" later.

Meanwhile, Gregor cleared his throat. "Although well said regarding Ruby, I think I still need a report from you regarding the hunt? I don't know how Queen Hippolyta will handle your performance so far, and nobody seems to know except Sapphire how Bernice even got in the situation that wrenched her knee, and a couple of legs on her dog. Didn't you see anything since the only reason Aurora let Sapphire go was if she had a responsible lady watching her.

Olivia looked to Ethel who she was partnered with, and herself had one pelt. "And you, how have you trapped three already? And one of those doesn't look like one of the ten chicken thieves the King released." She raised an eyebrow for effect.

Clair started running through her head what she could and couldn't show Ruby, perhaps she could try and run her through her whole process, from the request, to the brainstorm, to blueprints and building.

Diana nodded
"Well, it goes well, we learned proper hunting, but usually larger game then foxes. Has just required some time to adjust" she explained.

"Well I could explain it to you, but I can probably sum it up as practice, I've had to hunt for food, and often it has to be game like foxes. Also I believe we were allowed to hunt more then just the foxes released." Ethel replied.

Satisfied that Sapphire who witnessed the accident just needs time to adjust, Gregor nodded, and left it there.

Olivia raised an eyebrow and smirked. "You think like a Nevrakis. Make the rules and what's NOT said, work for you."

Aurora did what Ruby forgot to, while playing chess with Mr Handler. She turned to Mrs Handler and said, "Clair is such an incredibly adept inventor, I would like permission, barring her making a choice this season, to continue pursuing her as a helpmate for this physician." She indicated herself.

Meanwhile, Ruby, pretty much willing to follow Clair anywhere, said, "Then what are we waiting for? Neither of us want to hunt so they won't care if we disappear for the afternoon!"

Ethel smiled.
"Hey love, all is fair in love and war, besides if it should be against the rules it would be, if anything I would be helping make this event more robust in it's ruleset." She explained.

Mrs. Handler smiled.
"Why thank you, she is quite blessed, and I am sure she would be happy to, she does seem to enjoy your company lots, but that is a question for her. As much as we need her for our business, and that could help it, we won't try and make that choice for her, it needs to be her choice. However, if you want our blessing to ask her, of course you saved her life, and we you may be one of the few that can keep a conversation going with her when she really gets going, afraid it often goes right over our heads with some of the things she talks about " She explained.

"Oh, but what about eating? Shouldn't we at least finish the meal first?" Clair asked.

Last edited:
Olivia smirked. "Well said." She clinked her glass with Ethel's.

Aurora gave a courtly nod, smile and raised glass to Mrs Handler, and continued her stew.

Ruby sighed. "I don't know if I want any more. I mean, don't get me wrong or anything, the stew was good." She held her stomach. "It was just too much. Guess I was just looking for an excuse because I didn't get what I wanted. It didn't help when Duchess Calla started asking about war. Cordonia has suffered enough recently. I couldn't sit there and listen to war talk. And Zenobia Nevrakis, Olivia's mother, is still trying to cause problems for both my mom and her own daughter. Y'know, Olivia. Ah-Are you still hungry?"

Back
Top Bottom