Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Jedi X Family (The Corsair and Xana)

Lost in the moment, Quentin jumped when Mara burst in. And then there was Kaydia’s stammered, semi-coherent response, and he heard himself utter a snorting noise as he tried not to laugh. "Okay. Is that a new necklace? It's so pretty!" She hopped up on the bed, and wrapped her arms around Quentin from behind, "Do I get a pretty necklace too?"

“You, uhm…” he tried harder to keep from laughing. “That… your mom’s necklace, it shows she’s married. But… we can find a pretty one for you, too. We can look on Alderaan - they’ve got a lot of pretty stones there.”

“Yay!” Mara practically squealed the word. Then she cocked her head. “Why did mom say you guys weren’t doing anything?”

“She, uhm…” he began.

“Oh!” Mara’s eyes went wide. “We’re you two going to have sex?”

What?” He didn’t mean to sound that shocked.

“Because I did a lot of research about families,” Mara continued. “Like you said. And one thing I learned is that mommies and daddies have sex, so they can have babies.”

“Mara…” Quentin tried to interrupt.

“I…”. She sounded excited, now. “Do I get to have a little brother or sister?” Her arms tightened around his neck, and she started bouncing on the bed. “I’ll help take care of them! I used to help feed the babies in the…”

“Mara!”

She stopped bouncing. “What?”

“We are not having a baby,” he continued. “We were reviewing our cover.”

“Oh.” She considered that. “All right.” She considered that. “I would still like a little sister, though.”

As mortified as she was about Mara's frank queries, Kaydia decided this was a learning opportunity. "Mara, those kinds of questions are private," she explained, taking the desk chair across the room.

"What kinds of questions?" Mara asked, still bouncing on her knees behind Quentin.

"Questions about sex, or other things adults do in their bedroom."

"Why?"

Kaydia took a deep breath, "Because sex is a personal, intimate act, and most people prefer to discuss it with only their partner."

"So, I am not supposed to ask about sex?" Mara scrunched up her face as she settled down next Quentin. She was quiet for a short time before she spoke again, "Am I allowed to ask about babies?"

Kaydia couldn't help but laugh, "To an extent, yes. You can ask people if they have babies, or if they want babies, but it can be a sensitive topic. Try to keep it to one or two questions, at most."

"Okay. So, do you two want to have a baby?"

Kaydia laughed harder now, and met Quentin's eyes, for just a moment, "At the moment, our primary concern is getting us all somewhere safe."

"And after that?"

"After that, we can have a discussion about potential siblings," she offered. Once they were safe, maybe she could search for her daughter. She'd be about Mara's age; maybe they could grow up as siblings. "Now, we should probably have a proper conversation about privacy, before we leave on this trip. For example, when our door is closed, you should knock before you enter."

Mara cocked her head to one side, "Why? Didn't you just say you aren't going to have se– a baby right now?"

"Yes, but we still might be changing, or having a private conversation," Kaydia explained. "I know it's not something you're used to, having been raised at the temple, which is why we need to establish it right now. It would be a giveaway that we aren't a normal family. Now, as a sign of mutual respect, when your door is closed, and we are sure you aren't in immediate danger, we will also knock before we enter."

Mara nodded slowly, and then smiled wide, "So its way to be sneaky in public?"

"I suppose you can look at it that way, yes."

“Things were a lot easier in the Temple,” Mara complained. “But I’m ready to go! Are you?”

“I am,” Quentin confirmed. “I had everything but my lightsaber packed last night. And that’s dismantled and ready to go.”

“Wait,” Mara countered. “You we’re wearing pajamas last night.”

“Yep.” Quentin shrugged. “And the cleaning droid will launder that and put it away.”

“Wait. We have a cleaning droid?” Mara looked offended. “Then why did I have to pick up my cereal?”

“It builds character,” Quentin assured her. “Now go get your luggage.”

-*-

Quentin had always traveled light, even when he still had his own ship. It was a side effect of being a Jedi, really. If you don’t value objects, you don’t accumulate a lot of stuff. Which made the large chest trundling behind him on stubby robotic legs feel like an extravagant nuisance. But it was necessary - most people in the Republic traveled with more than two changes of clothes and a lightsaber, which was all a Jedi really needed.

He shook off the irritation. This was no time to be woolgathering. Not with the starport queue for the shuttle to the Rising Star grinding ever closer to the new security checkpoint. He watched as a Customs agent examined a scanner while two bored Clonetroopers watched impassively.

“Dad? Mom?” Mara sounded tense. “Is everything going to be all right?”

“It’ll be fine, Mara,” Quentin replied, patting her shoulder and playing to the crowd a little. “Those soldiers are just making sure everyone will be safe getting onboard.”

As he said it, he mentally reviewed a list of the surprising little toys he’d gotten rid of. Fighting bracelets? Gone. Combat knife? Safely ensconced in its carrying case where it looked like a display item. Lockpicks in his belt… buckle…

Shit.

Rapidly, he palmed the miniature code breaking tool and, faking a cough, dropped it and crushed it underfoot. No need to get caught with that.

Finally, the ersatz family reached the Customs inspector. “Purpose of travel?” the man asked.

“Mostly vacation,” Quentin said, handing over everyone’s travel documents. “Delayed honeymoon. But with a little business as well.” He smiled. “Being self-employed has its drawbacks.”

The inspector’s eyes flickered to Kaydia, then back to Quentin. “Anything to declare!”

“Schedule B restricted items,” Quentin told him, placing his duramin case on the platform. “A collection of khyberite and adegite crystals.” He handed over a data card as well. “The approvals should all be in order.”

Kaydia wore a comfortable smile as they made their way through the security checkpoint. It was something she'd done a hundred times, as she rarely had a personal ship to travel the galaxy on. Her bracelets were designed to look decorative, and occupied a pouch in her carry-on, along with the normal jewelry she kept. Her blaster was concealed in a box that appeared to contain makeup to scanners. Her various collection of poisons were disguised as perfume bottles- which, she realized, she'd have to warn Mara about, before the girl got curious again. The only thing she was concerned about was the paperwork, but Quentin seemed meticulous and paranoid enough to double check it before this point. So it was easier just to let him handle it.

Mara, on the other hand, was a nervous wreck. While some of it could be explained away as childhood shyness around strangers, Kaydia didn't want anyone to inspect Mara too closely. She had even caught her mouthing the words of the Code once or twice.

Gently, she stroked Mara's hair, "So, what should we do first, after we get settled on the ship?"

"Huh?" Mara nearly jumped at the question, and swallowed hard before continuing, "What, what do you mean?"

"Well, there is a pool, a theatre, a library and several dessert shops," Kaydia listed off, keeping Mara's attention on her.

"Wow, there is all that stuff on the ship?"

"Yep, it's a big ship," she confirmed, showing Mara the holodisplay from her chron. "There are two pools, and one even has a waterslide."

"A waterslide?" Mara wasn't even paying attention to the clonetroopers now, but bouncing on the balls of het feet. "What else?"

"Let's see… Oh, they will be showing Nova at the theatre. It was one of my favorite holovids growing up." She gave Mara a little wink, knowing the girl would understand the meaning behind it, while any onlooker would assume it was just a moment between mother and daughter.

"Looks good," the customs agent acknowledged, closing the Duramin case and handing Quentin back with datacard. "Enjoy your trip, Mr. and Mrs. Halland. And you too, young lady."

"Thanks!" Mara chirped, before pulling her parents on the boarding platform. "Is our suite near the pool?"

“Our suite is one level up and one section forward from the aft pool,” Quentin replied. “That’s the one with the waterslide. The other pool is three sections forward from us, and two levels down. The theater is in the same entertainment complex as the forward pool.” He grinned at the two of them. “I spent some time memorizing the layout.”

“Why?” Mara asked.

“Because you never know when it might be useful.”

Mara started to reply, but lost her train of thought as they approached the armorcrys windows. Her eyes went wide, and she raced to press hands and face against the transparent wall and stare open-mouthed at the shuttle. “It’s so big! Is that the ship?”

Quentin had to agree that it was big. Ten meters tall, twenty meters wide, and one hundred meters long, it looked like an apartment building lying on its side. “No. That’s the shuttle. The Rising Star is nearly five kilometers long.”

Mara ignored him, choosing to watch the tiny figures of the maintenance workers and droids as they performed final inspections. Occasionally she’d spot another ship lifting, and pointed it out excitedly. Quentin fed instructions into the luggage, watched all of it toddle off towards the cargo doors, then took a seat next to Kaydia.

“Nova? I’m afraid I never saw that one.” Casually watching the other families, he took her hand in imitation of another couple. “But I always preferred the historical and pseudohistorical action adventure serials, myself. You know, things like Jet Danger, Rocket Ranger! and Last of the Mandalorians.” It was nice, holding her hand. “Utter rubbish, but…”

His attention was caught by Mara, who had been drawn into a game of tag with several other children. She’d just escaped being caught as ‘it’ by doing a wallflip over the child who’d tried to tag her. As he watched, the game broke down into other small children trying to repeat the action.

“Should I intervene?” he asked, watching Mara and another girl start doing standing somersaults.

Kaydia wished she could have enjoyed Mara's expression of childlike wonder more, but her mind was racing, analyzing their fellow passengers and appraising their level of threat. Their combined bounty would set anyone up for life, and would be terribly tempting for skilled bounty hunters, looking to finally retire after a long career. The single travelers would be most likely, though it was entirely possible a clever bounty hunter might have used their same ploy, hiring on a spouse and child to better blend in.

Quentin took her hand, pulling her out of her obsessive paranoia and back into the present. Right, they were on vacation. Their honeymoon. She needed to relax, to bond with her new husband and daughter. "Nova?" he started, "I'm afraid I never saw that one."

"It is probably my favorite animated holovid. Nova is a spunky, clever teen detective, searching for her parents after they go missing. She reminds me of a certain someone. And all the songs are complete earworms." Humming the tune of the romantic duet, she wonder if he might recognize it, might have encountered it in some manner. She squeezed his hand a little tighter, and leaned against his shoulder.

"Should I intervene?" he asked, watching Mara and another girl start doing standing somersaults.

"Nah, it's to be expected. She's been in gymnastics since she was 3, and with a show off for a father, she was bound to pick it up." She nudged him just a little with her shoulder, Mara's playfulness rubbing off on her. "Besides, she's making friends. But if she moves onto teaching her new found friends how to parkour all over the ship, you should probably step in."

There was a gentle shift as their shuttle lifted off, and the group of kids followed Mara over to the display window. "We're flying! Mom, Dad, we're flying!"

Kaydia laughed, and squeezed Quentin's hand again. "I know, Hun. We will be able to settle into our suite soon."

"But…" Mara glanced around at her new found friends, "I wanted to play some more."

"I know, hun. Luckily, all these families will be in our section, so you will see them all through the week, until we land on Alderaan."

Mara took the hands of the girl beside her, and jumped up and down with her, "Vacation buddies! Oh, maybe we can be neighbors! Dad, can we have them switch our suites so we can be neighbors?"

“Usually you can’t change suites,” Quentin laughed, feeling the infectious excitement. “But, I can give her parents our suite number so the two of you can…”

“YAAAAAY!” both girls exclaimed. Then Mara seized his hand. “Come on, dad! Elia’s parents are right over there!”

Still laughing, Quentin released Kaydia’s hand and let the girls drag him along the row of seats to a lean, sharp-nosed man and a severe dark-haired woman. “Mother? Father?” Elia sounded hesitant. “May I…”. She wilted as her mother looked up, clearly displeased with being interrupted.

Quentin decided to step in. “Sorry to bother you,” he said, offering his hand. “Quentin Halland. My daughter has made friends with your daughter, and I wanted to share contact information so they can get together during the cruise.”

The woman took his hand mechanically and gave it a perfunctory shake. “Helena Kane.” She glanced sidelong at Elia. “Really. He could have just given that to your minder.”

Elia shrunk in on herself. “Yes mother.”

With a sigh, Helena turned her gaze back to Quentin. “I suppose you can give it to me, though.” Quentin did, observing that the girl’s father never even looked up from his slate. Helena returned to hers as soon as the exchange was finished, leaving him to turn and make his way back to his seat. Mara followed, trying to draw back out a now subdued Elia.

“Being a parent may be easier than I thought,” Quentin observed as he sat next to Kaydia. “Just be an asshole.”

"Well, when you have money, at least…" Kaydia acknowledged, glancing over the couple and doing mental calculations of the cost of their attire. She leaned into closer to Quentin, close enough her lips brushed his ear, and whispered, "But their marriage is probably faker than ours. I can at least stomach the thought of touching you."

More than stomach it, to be perfectly honest, as she leaned into him again. Biting her lip, Kaydia tried to push the thought away, and the delightful fantasies that followed. This was a dangerous time, not a good opportunity to imagine what they might do if this really was their honeymoon.

The shuttle connected to the cruiser with a small jolt, and the pressurized hatches began the process of equalizing the air pressure on both sides, before opening to allow the passengers to disembark. Many made their way to the doors, but Kaydia elected to stay sitting awhile longer, and watch the passing people. The Opening would be congested awhile yet, and this was a prime opportunity to get a feel for the others on their ship, and notice if anyone in particular was waiting on them.

Besides, Mara was still talking to her new friend, comparing favorite shows and books and movies. Mara did surprising well at improvising here, no doubt throwing out names she seen in her "research." Kaydia allowed a proud smile to cross her face, taking these little victories wherever she could, at this time. Finally, the girl's parent's stood, and called for their daughter with stern insistence. Elia offered a small wave before running off to catch up, and Kaydia decided it was finally time to get up, and leave the shuttle.

Their suite was impressive, not much smaller than the place Quentin had on Coruscant. No kitchen though, beyond a fridge and a simple reheater, and only one private bathroom. Which made perfect sense, really. Meals would be prepared at one of the professional kitchens on board, and there were plenty of public bathrooms around the ship. Glass and metal fixtures dominated both bedrooms and the common area, silver and white with clean lines and rounded surfaces. The master bedroom had large viewing windows along one wall, with the bed stationed to face out into space. The smaller bedroom had one large window as well, opposite the wall the bed was against.

"Wow," Mara murmured, eyes wide as she took in the cabin, and Kaydia honestly, had to agree. Aside from running from a fascist government for their lives, this would be a very comfortable vacation.

“Wow, indeed,” Quentin agreed, looking around. He’d never personally flown as a passenger on a liner, so he’d guessed at what would be reasonably comfortable accommodations. Maybe he’d overdone it?

“Woo-hoo!” Mara shouted, jumping over her luggage droid as she raced into her room. Then her voice echoed back. “Oh, wow! Look at that!”

Quentin followed her in, finding her pressing her nose against the more modest viewport in her room. Coruscant shimmered before them, blazing like a pearl in the light of Coruscant Prime. “It’s quite a view, isn’t it?”

Mara nodded wordlessly, staring with wide eyes. “Does… does every planet look like this?”

“A lot of worlds in the Core do, but not all.” He touseled her hair. “Alderaan, for instance, is blue and brown and white from orbit.” He watched the planet below, then grinned. “You’ll learn a lot about them in your studies.”

“Awww,” she pouted. “Do I have to?”

“Yes. Keeping up with them is important. But,” he added as she looked up at him, “I’ll make sure you have plenty of time to explore and play as well.”

“Yay!” she exclaimed, racing to the luggage droid and flipping it open. She dug a canvas book and pigment sticks out, and began looking between the page and the viewport as she colored.

Wandering out of Mara’s room, he joined Kaydia in the bedroom. Their bedroom. He found himself frowning a little as that sank in. On Coruscant, it had been easy to stay focused on the mission. Secure a wife as cover. Get off world. But now, they were in a place where all he could do was play husband and father.

Mara made playing father easy.

Kaydia..? Well, she made playing husband even easier. Distractingly easier. Particularly the way the light of Coruscant Prime struck golden highlights off her newly-blonde hair and her new necklace. It made her look familiar, somehow. And for a moment, he was struck by the impulse to embrace her from behind and bury his face in that hair.

Instead, he picked up his case of gemstones and placed them in his bedside table. “This is nice,” he said, wildly understating. “At least we’ll be comfortable on our trip.” Except for spending each night next to a sexy accomplice whom he didn’t want to take advantage of.

In an effort to distract himself from that thiught, he busied himself reassembling his lightsaber. Not that he expected to need it, but an ounce of prevention was worth a pound of not getting shot repeatedly if the Republic figured out what he was. “I suspect,” he said with a small smile, “that Mara will run us ragged if we don’t set a few limits. Perhaps a 21 hundred curfew?”

“Your attention please,” the ship’s intercom interrupted. “The Rising Star will be casting off in 30 minutes. We will be making a flyby of Centax-3 and Hesperidium, before making our jump to hyperspace at 14:25 ship time. We invite all of our guests to join us in the Grand Salons for our traditional jump toast.”

Kaydia watched Quentin put his lightsaber back together again, noting his quickness and efficiency. From what she remembered, once you put together your lightsaber, there weren't many reasons to take it apart again. Occasionally there could be a crack in the focusing lens, or a short fuse in the power distributor, but those issues weren't so common that you'd take your saber apart more than once or twice a cycle. He was already practiced for a life of hiding his Jedi heritage. But why? Before last week, it wasn't a crime to be a Jedi. And while some people distrusted them, most people in the Republic respected the Order, and its members as peacekeepers.

He was holding something back, but what? What was more damning than being a Jedi, in a time were the Jedi were being hunted down? Whatever the case, she wouldn't pry. Surely it wasn't as bad as the secrets she guarded in her heart.

Regardless, the announcement interrupted her curious train of thought, so she let it go with a shrug. Still, she watched him hide his saber, keeping its location as a mental note. If things got desperate enough to need it, no point in having to trash the room looking for it. Once he was ready, she offered a hand to him and Mara, and walked towards the Grand Salon in this section.

The Grand Salon was crowded when they arrived, filled with conversation and excitement. A ship of people so privileged as to be untouched by war or regime change. They'd be fine no matter what happened. No point in brooding; she was one of them, right now. Not a care in the galaxy, except pleasing her new husband.

On that note, Kaydia put on a buoyant smile, and leaned in close to Quentin, with one hand on his shoulder. Admittedly enjoying the performance of affection towards him, even if it were just a lie. Absently, her eyes scanned the salon, taking in the crowd until…

Shit.

Jinn Batadi, a wealthy business man with strong ties to the Black Sun was also aboard. A tall human with salt and pepper hair and beard and sharp features. She recalled him from her earliest mission for the Black Sun, when they had her use her force power to determine the loyalty of several high status associates. Learning how to use her looks and her body to get her targets off guard, after a lifetime of denying her sexual nature.

He wouldn't recognize her, would he? It had been 15 years, at least. Had he even gotten a good look at her then? Would he recognize her with clothes on? Dread pooled in her stomach and her mind raced, calculating her best move. Was avoiding him an option? Or was eliminating him her best course of action? She pressed herself closer to Quentin, watching her target over his shoulder. He was with another woman. Good, he would want to pretend not to know her, even if he did recognize her, somehow.

Quentin turned slightly, his face just inches from hers now. Should she tell him about Batadi? Would it worry him unnecessarily? Would it turn him into an accomplice into whatever plan she was still forming? Without unconscious thought, she plant a quick, light kiss on his cheek, and turned to accept a glass of champagne from a passing droid server.

“There’s Elia!” Mara exclaimed, bouncing with excitement. “Can I…”

“Yes,” Quentin said before she could finish her question. “But take your minder with you.”

She nodded and sprinted through the crowd, making the little plush droid scurry to keep up. He watched her go, then turned his attention to the Grand Salon. It was, in a word, packed. Which was not at all a situation he liked. There were too many ways for something to go wrong in a crowd.

Also, he just didn’t like large social gatherings.

A droid whispered past. He scooped a drink from it’s tray, and and smiled at Kaydia as she kissed his cheek. She seemed tense. Perhaps she didn’t like large social gatherings, either?

“I’m not really in a mood to mingle,” he said, catching her hand. “And it looks like there’s an open table over there.” He gestured with his glass, pointing out a small booth right where the transteel dome of the salon met the opaque bulkhead. “Why don’t we grab a seat? Then we can entertain ourselves by making up stories about the people around us.”

Kaydia laughed lightly, and squeezed Quentin's hand as he motioned toward the booth. "Sounds like a plan." She did like that position better. With their backs to the wall, no one could sneak up behind them, and they'd have a good position to take in the crowds. And it was an excuse to hold his hand as they made their way through the crowd.

"Lots of rich people on board," she remarked casually as they scooted into the booth besides one another. She sat close to him, because the hum of conversation required proximity to hear one another, but didn't move her leg as it brushed against his. "What do you think they all do?" she asked, motioning with her glass before taking a sip. Good champagne, bubbly and mellow. Clearly the starliner intended to impress its wealthy clientele.

Conspiratorially, she leaned in close, near enough she looked like she might kiss him again. Instead she murmured, softly, for his ears alone, "Bet some of them are connected to the big crime families. A legitimate face, to cover the illegal dealings going on. I bet that is how a lot of them launder their money, through a lawful businessman or two." She giggled, to throw off any onlookers, but she hoped Quentin would catch her meaning. He seemed experienced at that sort of thing, when they first met. Their "first date," as it were.

She took another sip, and trailed her free hand along his arm. "Or maybe not. I might be watching too many holo-dramas."

“Possibly,” Quentin agreed absently, chewing over what she’d just said. Was it a warning? Or just playing along? “Those kind of dramas are usually the worst type of trash. Brain-rotting, really.”

It could absolutely be the kind of half-code they’d used in the wine bar. Innocuous phrases that could absolutely be interpreted by someone with an interest. And if this was the case, then what she’d told him if her background made it a warning.

Right. Try a response. “Addictive fun, but utter rot. Still…” he picked out a portly, ruddy-faced man gesticulating wildly as he spoke with a knot of other passengers. “He’s clearly… a… hired killer. Not some common bounty hunter, either. The elite of the elite. He’s lethal with anything, but prefers his hands. Nobody sees him coming, and nobody escapes him.”

He chuckled, then sipped his drink and frowned. Champagne. Or, as he thought of it, gassy wine. It really wasn’t good. “And there.” He nodded at a young, sturdily-built woman in a ruffled blouse and flowing skirt. “You wouldn’t guess it to look at her, but she’s the secret mastermind who brought the Artificer’s Guild into the CIS. The war might be over, but her lust for power still burns.”

Another sip, and a grimace. “And I just realized I’m monopolizing the game. Your turn?”

Kaydia froze for a heartbeat, wondering if Quentin's story about the assassin were a veiled reference to her. Had he read her mind, or her memories? She'd know right? She shook off the suspicion, surely he was just kidding, just playing his game.

Another sip, and a grimace. "And I just realized I'm monopolizing the game. Your turn?"

With a light laugh, Kaydia scanned the crowd again, and found Batadi. "You see that guy with the grey suit, next to the bar? With the Zeltron on his arm? He is a fine art dealer, who, on paper, is completely on the up and up. But, as with much of the fine art world, he's kept afloat with dirty money from the syndicates. They'll gladly pay his exorbitant prices, because he cleans their funds, giving them a legitimate outlet for their ill-gotten gains."

She finished her glass, and ran her finger around the rim, "That woman on his arm knows exactly what kind of dirty business he's into, because she's from that world. A well-heeled madame who made a tidy sum trading on her body, before bringing new faces into the fold. Her connection with the underworld brings in a steady stream of clients for her man."

“Interesting,” he said, eying the two. A friend ne art dealer who laundered curency, and a well-connected Madame. Not that there were any other kind, really. Legal or illegal, brothel owners knew a lot of people.

“That sounds far more exciting than my suggestion,” he said. “Let me think…”. He sipped his champagne with a grimace. “They’re the perfect villains for an investigative drama, but the setting is all wrong for a security procedural.”

He tapped his free fingers on the table. “Maybe a spy thriller? The environment suggests one.” He smiled. “One of those huge action dramas that get played across the Core.”

Glancing sideways, he watched her watch the two she’d singled out. “We don’t want to make it too easy, though. So… our spy got burned and is now on the run. Then, at a social gathering aboard ship, she spots the two masterminds who can blow her cover.”

He frowns. “We’re missing some important plot elements, though. Like, do they recognize her? And what does she need to do?” Grinning again, he took her hand and squeezed it. “I’m really enjoying this. What do you think our spy does?”

How exactly does one tell her fake husband that she used to blow a man who can now blow her cover? Kaydia considered that as Quentin framed the conversation up as a discussion of holodrama. "It's hard to say, really. It's been years since their paths crossed –Season 1, I believe. Now, more than a decade later, would they recognize her? Remember her? Maybe not with clothes on."

"Nhyreis Zohar –the madame– would know her better. Under an assumed identity, at least, while she learned the art of seduction. But, really, she was just another in the sea of lovers both partners shared, someone who made an effort not to stand out."

Quentin gripped her hand again, and she shuddered as electricity tingled through her spine. He was enjoying this, this plotting and planning and subterfuge. Better than being mad at her, she supposed. And, well, pretty hot, if she were being completely honest. If this were a sexy spy thriller, he'd shove her against the well the second they stepped through the door to their suite, and take her on the dining table. A fantasy she had to force away with a sigh.

"I'm really enjoying this. What do you think our spy does?"

"Well, she can try avoiding them, but narratively, that's problematic. Takes agency out of her hands, unless she just stays inside her cabin all week. Somewhat realistic, but boring – no one is going to want to watch that." Another server droid passed by, and she helped herself to another glass of champagne. "Her first instinct would be to eliminate the problem before it became a problem. But on a crowded ship, with lots of surveillance, is anyone going to buy that?"

Another sip of her champagne, and her fingers traced a small circle on the inside of his palm. "Maybe she can blackmail them into silence. Risky, but perhaps not as risky as other options. Regardless, the first step would be to investigate further. If they don't recognize her, she can just pass by, unnoticed."

Art of seduction? And here he’d assumed she was an analyst, or something similar. Republic Intelligence did a lot more with things like SIGINT, or MASINT, or IMGINT. Field Agents on covert ops were fairly uncommon.

Also? Fuck, that sounded hot. And it took some effort to pay attention to what she was saying instead of what his suddenly hard crotch was signaling. Fortunately, he had the unpleasant taste of the champagne to help distract him.

“Clearly,” he said, “the plot would call for investigation first. It would be a chance to ramp up the tension and let our heroine show off her skills.” He twirled the stem in his fingers, wondering if he could just ditch it somewhere. “Although the first thing she should do is return to her suite. You know, for the dramatic montage of checking her gear and planning her next move.”

Just then, the ship’s speakers came to life. “Esteemed guests,” the voice of the captain said. “Please count down with me to our jump to hyperspace. Ten.”

“Nine!” roared the crowd, followed by, “Eight! Seven! Six! Five! Four!”

“Three!” Quentin called with the rest, making sure to play along like the tourist he was. “Two! One!”

The diamond-bright stars visible through the transparent viewing dome seemed to transform into streaks of light racing past them. An instant later they vanished , leaving the salon illuminated by the weird, twisting light of hyperspace. People cheered and downed their drinks, and people who had one kissed their partners.

Best follow along, Quentin thought. He tossed back the last of his champagne and turned to Kaydia. He’d intended only a quick smooch, the kind of quick, affectionate kiss a husband might give a wife. But her lips parted, and, without thinking, he leaned into it. The champagne tasted quite nice on her lips, he decided as his tongue slid over them before yielding to her own exploring tongue.

His champagne flute tipped over as he set it diwn, freeing his hand to comb through her silken hair, drawing her closer to him. She leaned into him - or was he leaning into her? - and her mouth opened into his in warm invitation.

He gasped when they finally parted, his eyes wide. “So… uhm..,” he managed. “I guess… uhm.” He flushed a little, unsure if he’d gone too far and also feeling he hadn’t gone far enough. “Happy hyperspace jump?”

Mara joined the countdown with an enthusiastic shout, chanting in time with Elia to the hyperspeed jump. Once they reached zero, Elia held out her hand expectantly, and Mara hesitated for a heartbeat, before remembering the custom from one of the holovids, and reached out to slap her friend's hand with her won. It was a rite of celebration and solidarity, she reasoned, proud of herself for figuring it out on the fly.

Mom and Dad were kissing. Which wasn't that strange, given that all the adults seemed to be kissing. But, even when the rest of them stopped, they were still kissing. That wasn't pretending, or at least, it wasn't just pretending. Mara chuckled to herself. Maybe she still would get a little brother or sister.

Kaydia let herself giggle as the kiss broke, mind racing, heart pounding and her stomach fluttering. That kiss wasn't just as act. Not from him, and not from her either. He was into it, as into as she was, and that realization was even hotter than the kiss. And, damn, was he cute as he blushed and stammered and searched for his words. There was a smug pride in being able to reduce a Jedi to idiot with a kiss.

"Happy Hyperspace jump," she agreed with a laugh, and another, quick kiss. Not allowing herself to get swept up a second time, because she knew she wouldn't be able to control herself this time. And as much as she wanted to explore the mutual attraction between herself and Quentin, she'd already identified a potential risk, and that risk needed to be dealt with. Because she didn't want to put Mara or Quentin at risk, and she didn't want to leave them either.

"I think I might sneak back to the room, now," she suggested, a part of her wishing he might join her. Not yet moving, as the heat of this kiss still quickened her blood, "I won't be able to relax until I get unpacked."

Well. He hadn’t gotten slapped, and he’d even gotten a second kiss. That had gone a lot better than expected, really. And then there was the enticing thought of her sneaking back out and returning to their suite… but, no. He had responsibilities.

“You head on back then,” he said, reluctantly. “I’m going to go check in on Mara and see if she’s ready to leave. I’ll help you unpack when we get back.”

He watched her leave, then rose and navigated through the salon crowd. Technically, he could have just checked her location through the minder droid - the machines were part tutor, part babysitter, and part spy, and a lot of parents on Coruscant just left the mundanities of child care to them. But a lot of parents weren’t actually smuggling a Jedi acolyte to a safer world.

Besides. He hadn’t had time to finish the illegal modifications he had in store for the minder.

When he found her, Mara was with three other children who had their noses pressed to the dome. That was impressive, really. A lot of adults found the view of hyperspace disturbing. It was why “suites with a view” tended to be less expensive on starliners. “Enjoying the show?”

Mara turned around, bouncing on her feet with excitement. “Yes!”

“Good,” he grinned, tousling her hair. “Your mother decided to head back to the suite. Do you…”

“I want to stay!” Mara gushed.

“Ask him,” Elia prompted. “Ask him!”

“Ask me what?” Quentin asked.

“Elia wanted me to have a sleepover!”!Mara replied, sounding just a touch nervous.

“My minder already said it’s all right!” Elia added.

It was on the tip of his tongue to say no. Letting her out of sight felt like a bad idea. But they were also in hyperspace, so even if a Republican agent grabbed her there’d be no place to go. So he caught her eye. Are you sure?

Mara looked a little surprised, then nodded. Younger and less practiced, her thoughts were muddled in the Force. Yes. Want to fun not Master Anakin scared friend not lonely.

There was an emphasis on the last few words, one he understood. She should have a cluster of other acolytes her age around her, not be alone. And Elia radiated loneliness. You’ll be careful? No powers? Keep your cover?

YES!
There was a little too much enthusiasm and volume. He’d have to have her working on control.

“All right,” he agreed, and the two girls whooped and danced in circles. “But you’ll be joining us for breakfast, so be sure to get some sleep.”

Kaydia's bracelets clinked lightly as she put the rest of her tools away. She didn't expect to need the fighting bracelets, but a degree of preparation gave her a degree of control, a focus she needed to calmly consider her next step. Neither Batadi nor Zohar were skilled combatants, nor would they have carried more than a simple blaster, and not likely on ship. No, they were the type to rely on their criminal connections to stay safe, knowing that anyone who crossed them would be crossing the Black Sun. Well, she was already on their shit list, so that couldn't get any worse.

Her blaster sat in the bedside table on the left side, presuming that Quentin would want the right side. It was where he'd hid his saber, after all. She's also placed a couple holonet interceptors in that drawer as well, hidden in a back-up data slat. Those would be more useful than weapons, at the moment, especially if she could find a way to sneak into their room. The interceptors would allow her to surveil their communications, and see if they tried to report her presence to the Black Sun. Unlikely that they would report her to Imperial Forces instead– they would be looking to stay out of notice of law enforcement, even if they could net a tidy reward. With the new government in place, they'd have to feel out new complicit bureaucrats, and it was hardly worth the scrutiny without the security of a bribable official.

With a long breath out, Kaydia felt more confident with her plan. Batadi and Zohar wouldn't approach her themselves, or report her to nearby Imperial Forces. Any reports to the Black Sun would take time for the Syndicate to react, and get a hit squad in place to take her down. Furthermore, Neither would be able to recognize Quentin or Mara as Jedi, leaving them both safe from targeting by the Black Sun. After all, they were only interested in profitable crime. Even in the worst case, she could keep her new found family safe by disappearing, if need be.

She just hoped it wouldn't come to that.

The suite door opened with a pressurized whoosh, and Kaydia tensed, slightly. With light, controlled steps, she moved towards the main room, using the layout to stay hidden, until she could identify the interloper. But it was just Quentin, of course, and the pounding in her heart turned into a flutter at they locked eyes.

"You can't sneak up on a girl like that," Kaydia teased, resisting the urge wrap her arms around his neck and see if he was as interesting in kissing without an audience. Instead she leaned against the wall, arms crossed under her chest. "Where's Mara? Playing with her friend still?"

“Yes,” he confirmed, glancing at the door. Then he frowned. It was a computer lock, keyed to the biometrics of the occupants. There were no physical locks, which was a security risk. Anyone with the right access to the ship’s computers could enter the room. “She’s having a sleepover with Elia. It’s got her really excited.”

Pausing at the suite’s minibar, he poured himself a glass of pink fruit juice. “So. This art dealer and his courtesan. What do you want to do about them?”

He took a seat at a small table by the viewport, and gratefully washed the champagne aftertaste from his mouth. “Are they enough of a risk that they need to disappear? It would be risky, but I can think of a few ways to make it happen.”

Another sip, and he watched Kaydia’s reactions as he spoke. “Or can we just avoid them? I can find out what their itinerary is, and plan around that.”

Kaydia smiled at Quentin's response, and imagined Mara's reaction. This was worth fighting for, she realized, a world where Mara could be a happy child, and not a scared Jedi acolyte. So she decided to share her insights with Quentin, who may have his own ideas on keeping them all safe.

"The biggest threat with those two is them reporting my presence to the Black Sun. I doubt either of them know about my connection to the force, but they would recognize me as a Black Sun asset. And, unfortunately, your idea of having me dye my hair may have backfired on us, because the identity I used around them was a blond escort. Different name, luckily, but no one would have expected her to give her real name."

She joined him in sitting, deliberately choosing a seat across from him instead of beside him. They had important business to discuss, after all, and she didn't want to get distracted by his scent, or the heat of his body. "My plan is to tap their room with a holonet interceptor, to track their communications, and see if they do send word to the Black Sun about me. Then try my best to avoid them." Kaydia shrugged at that. "It's a big ship right? How hard could it be?"

With a sigh, she crossed her legs, and chewed on her lip, "It's probably the safest course of action, it just rubs me the wrong way. I prefer to handle problems before they arise, instead of waiting around for them to become problems. But I am also not used to working with other people, which changes considerations, of course."

“Holonet interceptor?” He nodded. “Yeah, that sounds like a good strategy. It’s be nice if we could get a listening device into their suite as well, but that’s a lot more trouble .”

He mulled over the rest of her assessment. “You may not have a lot to worry about, despite being blonde again. I find that most people really don’t pay attention. Besides…”. His grey eyes glittered with humor. “Your cover was an escort, right? Then it’s not likely they were paying much attention to your face.”

Disguise was a tool he used a lot, and he found himself warming to the conversation. “If you keep dressing like an attractive wife on vacation, that’ll be the best thing you can do. And…”. He trailed off, suddenly embarrassed. “Hell. You met them because if a deep cover operation, and I’m explaining disguise strategies to tou.

He downed the last of the juice. “I guess my part in all this is to keep up the act of being your husband. I mean…” he glanced at the bracelet he wore. “The kind of courtesans people like them hire probably don’t marry successful but not wildly rich specialty gemstone merchants.”

"Your cover was an escort, right? Then it's not likely they were paying much attention to your face."

"Right, so long as I keep my clothes on around them, we'll be fine," Kaydia joked with a smirk. Too bad all she could think about was Quentin tearing her dress away, feasting on her skin, her curves and…

"Hell. You met them because of a deep cover operation, and I'm explaining disguise strategies to you."

She allowed herself to laugh again, "At least you are self-aware enough to realize that. And I am guessing you also worked alone, on your missions? At least your part in this one is easy."

He downed the last of the juice. "I guess my part in all this is to keep up the act of being your husband. I mean…" he glanced at the bracelet he wore. "The kind of courtesans people like them hire probably don't marry successful but not wildly rich specialty gemstone merchants."

"No, not unless she is very lucky," she replied with a wink. "But I might need you to play watch-out as well. Once we figure out which suite they are in, you can keep an eye on them when the leave it, giving me time to sneak in and plant the interceptors. I didn't pack any long wave stealth communication devices, so.." She opened her mind to his, and let a thought flow between them, I guess we have to rely on our force gifts.

"
In any case, we will want to work on this plan today, while Mara is away with her friend. So that means going back out for dinner service, to see if we can't pick them out again." Kaydia rose, and retreated to the bedroom, to pick out an outfit for the evening. "What do you think? Does this say 'respectable wife' to you?"

I guess we have to rely on our force gifts.
The communication through the Force caught him off-guard. She’d told him she had been trained, but he still hadn’t fully absorbed that fact. And she was good at it. He barely tasted the anxiety and desire that flavored her thoughts. Barely. But enough to set his own pulse racing.

While he collected himself, she retreated to their bedroom. She returned moments later to display a dress. “What do you think? Does this say 'respectable wife'to you?"

He eyed it critically. “I think so, yes. Respectable wife who wanted to dress up for dinner. Very nice.” Very nice indeed, although he was now trying not to imagine the dress sliding down her curves and pooling at her feet. “I like it.”

Walking into the bedroom, he rifled through the clothes hanging in the closet. “This should work,” he finally said, displaying a casual suit. “Dinner isn’t described as formal, so it should fit in.” He flashed her a grin. “Although you’ll probably command all the attention anyway.”

Hanging the suit back up, he selected a pair of shoes to go with it. Black patent leather ankle boots, he decided. “Do we want to tail them after dinner to find out what suite they’re in?”

Back
Top Bottom