Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The use of A.I images in RP?

I'm curious about this because I think it would be great to be able to generate character portraits (was thinking along similar lines for RPG campaigns I am/was involved in). You say it's trail and error, was it difficult to get to a point where you're happy with the results and T&E is just tweaking it to give you a 10/10 instead of, say, an 8/10?
Depends what AI you're using to generate the images. With something like Midjourney... yes. Something like 7-8 out of a 10 scale. Stable diffusion? Ooof, that one's I find is more complicated to get good results for. The base would be maybe a 4 or 5. It's less intuitive and relies more on negative prompts. I will say that it heavily depends what style you're looking to generate as well. The aforementioned are disproportionately better at realistic artwork more than something like a an anime-ish style.

I think creating portraits with AI is a bit of a hassle at the moment. But I just make my own characters.
However, in terms of AI created art in general. Once AI becomes good enough to generate images with correct anatomy and be able to adjust their work as requested with decent enough precision, I think AI would be a great way to generate art for RPs.

I don't mind if my partners and people in my groups use Ai generated images; I've even installed Midjourney into my server for them to play around with. I do agree some Ai images can look very silly, as we have noticed while playing around with the generator; I definitely go more toward the more realistic options when they are upscaled. If Ai images looked like they did a year ago, I would probably not be as accepting of them as I am now.

Here are some examples of the options I've made in the generator that I would accept for face claims.

Wow, these are all incredible! Is there a specific combination of keywords you use to get them to look so good?

Depends what AI you're using to generate the images. With something like Midjourney... yes. Something like 7-8 out of a 10 scale. Stable diffusion? Ooof, that one's I find is more complicated to get good results for. The base would be maybe a 4 or 5. It's less intuitive and relies more on negative prompts. I will say that it heavily depends what style you're looking to generate as well. The aforementioned are disproportionately better at realistic artwork more than something like a an anime-ish style.
I haven't tried Midjourney, but I've been messing around with Stable Diffusion for a month or so now. I'm no expert, but I'm surprised just how versatile it is. There are many different models available online for almost any style you want: photo-realistic, anime, comic-book, oil paintings etc. You also have ControlNets, which let you do things like define pose of the generated character or fix hands by specifying gestures (e.g. closed fist, OK-sign, 'devil horns'). There are LoRas too, which - if I understand correctly - apply specific concepts to any given model. I've seen LoRas for characters, objects, poses and even art styles. It's wild.

Though my favorite functionality of Stable Diffusion is definitely inpainting. You paint with a brush over parts of the image you want changed and the AI will re-generate only those parts according to your description. It's great for modifying images that are just a few details away from exactly what you're looking for.

That being said, I haven't had the chance to use AI generated or modified images in my roleplays yet. I wouldn't raise any issues if my partner wanted to use an image like that, as long as it looked good.

Honestly, if it can make an accurate enough image that I'm looking for that's good enough for me as it saves me a lot of time searching through thousands of images just to find the right character appearance I'm going for. I typically use anime face claims or fantasy art like you'd get from artbreeder? I think that's what the program is called where people have used anime faces to prompt the AI to make a more realistic portrait of the characters.

The ONLY time I'd have issue with someone using it is CLAIMING that they, themselves, drew the art or painted said art when that's not the case. I've seen there's controversy where people have been calling themselves artists when using these programs but never drawing or painting or what not in their lives.

Little late to this topic, but I personally adore AI Art. Anyone who has ever RPed with me or visited my threads will know that much! I've generated so many images using NovelAI, though usually I have to edit them a bit afterwards. Fix the hands, sometimes the eyes, along with some other stuff. But it's still something I absolutely adore and makes me more enthusiastic to RP, because I can keep thinking up tons of different outfits for my characters to wear and then have the AI generate them! It's literally a dream come true for a fashionista like me!

Want a green kimono? Done. A cute yellow sundress? Done. A karate gi? Easy. Knightly armour? No problem! Just about anything I can think of, I can tell the AI to make, and while it might take a few (dozen...) tries, it will eventually give me what I'm looking for!

And best of all, I can change my mind at any time and nobody will complain about it no longer being the "sketch phase" or "line art" phase. So yeah, I love AI Art!

I've seen a few AI images I really liked, a lot that were "okay" for inspiration but I wouldn't quite pick them for a character, and also quite a few that were a little "off" proportions-wise or maybe just not my style. I hope that people are going to keep developing more options and varied ways of using it, though.

Writing wise, I haven't even sampled ChatGPT or the like but... I feel like it might just be a neat way to get drafts of certain stretches, but it might take a lot of reworking for me to be satisfied after that. Maybe one way to approach that initial nervousness or writer's block. That is, if it wasn't too much trouble to swing whatever it generates back to my own taste. It could also be useful for filling in some of the more predictable world building details like less central npc backgrounds, again if it isn't just too "different." Maybe it depends on what you can teach it about your own style, too? Or if you'd want to teach it that.

AI-art is extremely iffy for me. If I am presented an option to generate a picture with a NovelAI for example and with perfect prompts that will create me the picture I'm looking for, or given money to purchase an original artpiece from an artist who draws it themselves I will always pick the artist. I much rather support someone who is most likely going to suffer from this AI-revolution the most and get an original one-of-a-kind drawing made for me in the process even if that means that I will have to wait it for a few weeks.

I've been dating a talented artist for almost a 10-years now, and have witnessed in front-row seat how much anxiety and concern about their future and the worth of their craft this sudden development with AI has brought into their life, and now after seeing game-studios firing their whole art-teams in favor of AI my distaste towards the whole AI-generated art grows stronger day-by-day.

I do however get the convenience in generating a perfect ref for a character in a roleplay quickly, and not wanting to pay a lot of money for a ref when you're not even sure if the RP is going to last long, so in those cases I don't mind if someone opts to use them. I personally hunt my refs online, and if I happen to find a perfect AI-generated picture someone else has made I might use it as a last-resort ref if I can't find anything better than that. However I will never generate AI-art myself. That's where I draw my personal line.

AI-art is extremely iffy for me. If I am presented an option to generate a picture with a NovelAI for example and with perfect prompts that will create me the picture I'm looking for, or given money to purchase an original artpiece from an artist who draws it themselves I will always pick the artist. I much rather support someone who is most likely going to suffer from this AI-revolution the most and get an original one-of-a-kind drawing made for me in the process even if that means that I will have to wait it for a few weeks.

I've been dating a talented artist for almost a 10-years now, and have witnessed in front-row seat how much anxiety and concern about their future and the worth of their craft this sudden development with AI has brought into their life, and now after seeing game-studios firing their whole art-teams in favor of AI my distaste towards the whole AI-generated art grows stronger day-by-day.

I do however get the convenience in generating a perfect ref for a character in a roleplay quickly, and not wanting to pay a lot of money for a ref when you're not even sure if the RP is going to last long, so in those cases I don't mind if someone opts to use them. I personally hunt my refs online, and if I happen to find a perfect AI-generated picture someone else has made I might use it as a last-resort ref if I can't find anything better than that. However I will never generate AI-art myself. That's where I draw my personal line.

Oh yeah! It's definitely NOT okay for companies to just fire off all of their artists like that! Besides, even from a strictly pragmatic point of view, they still need people to redraw the hands and eyes and do other touch ups, since the technology hasn't been perfected yet. I'm mostly a fan of AI Art when it comes to personal stuff like RP or sharing pictures with your friends. I think it's important to draw a distinction between the two practices.

It's never nice to see people lose their jobs like that. But it's also important to draw a line between greedy businesses and people just trying to expand the way they enjoy their hobby (RP, in this case). For people who are more inclined towards visual RPing, it really is a game changer! Plus, some of us have anxiety issues when talking to actual human artists about our kinks and stuff. It's pretty embarrassing.

It's never nice to see people lose their jobs like that. But it's also important to draw a distinction between greedy businesses and people just trying to expand the way they enjoy their hobby (RP, in this case).
Of course. That's why I said in my last paragraph that I don't really mind people using it to create a refs for their personal RPs and such and don't think that everyone using them are like the soulless, money-hungry suits trying to rid the artists of their jobs while spitting on the craft and skills they have used many many years perfecting. I personally just try to avoid using pictures created by AI and use them as a last-resort if I find a perfect AI-ref that someone else has created and shared online.

Of course. That's why I said in my last paragraph that I don't really mind people using it to create a refs for their personal RPs and such and don't think that everyone using them are like the soulless, money-hungry suits trying to rid the artists of their jobs while spitting on the craft and skills they have used many many years perfecting. I personally just try to avoid using pictures created by AI and use them as a last-resort if I find a perfect AI-ref that someone else has created and shared online.

And that's completely fair! ^^ You should do what makes you feel most comfortable. It's what I'm doing, since talking to actual human artists about drawing my kinks and stuff is honestly really nerve wracking and anxiety inducing for me, and being able to just give a prompt to a machine that I know is physically incapable of judging me is really helpful.

since talking to actual human artists about drawing my kinks and stuff is honestly really nerve wracking and anxiety inducing for me, and being able to just give a prompt to a machine that I know is physically incapable of judging me is really helpful.
I can definitely also see this as someone who has commissioned NSFW-lewds from people. Haven't commissioned art in a while since I am just a poor student, but when I did I just looked for an artist who had a pretty extensive "will draw, won't draw" list and ask for clarification if the exact thing I was looking for wasn't on their list, but understand that it doesn't work for everyone and that the barrier to request something more eccentric from an AI is definitely much much lower. In these cases I see it as a personal tool to create something specific for your, and possibly your RP partners, friends etc. enjoyment like you mentioned in your first reply, in which I can get behind.

AI art can be very messed up sometimes however ive gotten quite used to it and in all honestly I use it way to much. I generated a couple of pieces that I wish for an Artist to redo at some point when I have the money to spare!

That said, it did took me a while to fine a Generator I like and can use properly!

I'm pretty happy using it for character generation even if it's just for my own references. While most free AI's are a bit lame, if you use some of the more complex one - Midjourney, Leonardo (the best for character creation IMO), DALLE-3 ... the results are fascinating. I know there is a big uproar from the art community against that, and I feel for them and I do support them, but at the same time I'm also not a fan of "here is my character and she looks like Sansa Stark/Sophie Turner". I want my character to be unique (i know that's relative ut you know what I mean) not just casting Sophie turner to Be MC.

I'm pretty happy using it for character generation even if it's just for my own references. While most free AI's are a bit lame, if you use some of the more complex one - Midjourney, Leonardo (the best for character creation IMO), DALLE-3 ... the results are fascinating. I know there is a big uproar from the art community against that, and I feel for them and I do support them, but at the same time I'm also not a fan of "here is my character and she looks like Sansa Stark/Sophie Turner". I want my character to be unique (i know that's relative ut you know what I mean) not just casting Sophie turner to Be MC.
THIS IS SUCH A MOOD! HARD AGREE ALL AROUND!

If you need good Anime-style art, NAI Diffusion is pretty good, too. They recently updated it to V2, and I'm enjoying it! It's not free, not if you want the good quality stuff, but I thought I'd throw it out there! ^^

My general feeling is that AI art is disruptive technology that threatens artists and their livelihoods, and has a great deal of potential for misuse. However, for rp style storytelling, concept art, and general experimentation, I think it is an interesting technology with a lot to offer us writers who look at art and wonder 'how the the heck do they do that?'

I've had a story or two where AI art has been fun to experiment with to try and capture the vibe or to use for personal reference, or just share between myself and my partner (I use pixai.art which I've been enjoying). For me, I guess it comes down to whether you intend to try and sell the art or not. For personal use, I think its a fair technology to utilize and support. It is interesting to play with, but companies will try and replace their artists with it, which I do not support.

My general feeling is that AI art is disruptive technology that threatens artists and their livelihoods, and has a great deal of potential for misuse. However, for rp style storytelling, concept art, and general experimentation, I think it is an interesting technology with a lot to offer us writers who look at art and wonder 'how the the heck do they do that?'

I've had a story or two where AI art has been fun to experiment with to try and capture the vibe or to use for personal reference, or just share between myself and my partner (I use pixai.art which I've been enjoying). For me, I guess it comes down to whether you intend to try and sell the art or not. For personal use, I think its a fair technology to utilize and support. It is interesting to play with, but companies will try and replace their artists with it, which I do not support.
Yes, that's my position pretty much exactly. I think AI Art is fantastic at the hobby level. It makes it so much easier for visual roleplayers like myself to fully immerse themselves in a game, produce precise images of characters in a variety of different outfits, etc. That being said, I'd never try to sell any of it, that'd be weird. I also use Pixai.art too, sometimes, though NAI remains my mainstay.

I have not used AI for any roleplay, but I think it would be a good use of it for face claims and other things like that.

Seems like a substitute for lazy writing/imagination.
That's a bit of an odd perspective, if I'm honest. Do you feel the same about all Face Claims?

For many, roleplay - especially erotic roleplay - is a visual medium. While I also describe my characters in detail, I find that providing a visual reference often enhances my narrative descriptions and paints a clearer picture in my partner's mind of the character. There are certainly many people who would be rather unsatisfied with a written description alone.

I'm sure there's a wide range of uses, but all the same, I'd rather draw on my own imagination because it often leads to the unexpected.

Back
Top Bottom