Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

The New Assistant (Silverknight and EtherealElvenEmpress)

Silverknight

Pulsar
Simon spun a wrench in his right hand as he looked at the experimental heater that was in front of himself. The dark-haired human was a man of science who loved to work with his hands to create new things. He loved to work on the hands on elements more than the record keeping elements that were required for science. He had assistance who would cover that weakness of his. He would come up with ideas for experiments, working the prep work for the experiments and then do the hands on work for the experiments. He would then have the assistant write down everything that was needed to make the experiments official.

The heater was a way to keep his lovely garage warm. The basement was used for various important experiments. A number dealt with ideas of how to grow flowers and crops during the winter. There were also some chemical experiments inside of the lower level that were going to need the warmth to make them possible. The upper level was where he kept mechanical experiments, keeping them warm wasn't a bad thing either. Simon checked over the elements of the impressive heating machine making sure it was good. The paper work for this invention had been done by his pervious assistant, a kind and sharp woman. A woman who worked for him for the last five years, and now was out with her own lab. She got work somewhere far more tropical then the snowy mountain area that he lived in.

Simon thought about his former assistant for a moment, she was most likely much happier not working for him, and somewhere more tropical and to her liking. He remembered the one before her, she had gone on to take a job working at a college. The one before that now was on the science board for the whole region. Simon put his wrench away as he would head back to the main home. He had recently gotten applications sent to him to be his next assistant, they went through the first assistant of his who would narrow down possible choices for him. Making sure that each would have a personality that would work with his own

He then got about 10 resumes that he would have to look through. He did so in about a week going through each one in detail as he picked out Luna's. The reason he picked hers had to do with her name, he was a big fan of looking up at the stars and built an observatory on the top of the hill his home and estate covered to look up at the stars often. He would do most of his actual writing there, making notice of the movement of stars and planets. So to have someone called Luna working for him, was a must get.

Walking into his snow covered home . Simon walked into the glass front door. As he stood in the entrance, he looked both ways. On the right side was the kitchen and dining room, the left the bedrooms. The house was much warmer than the snowy cold of the outside, and it too had a heat generator similar to the one in the garage, that he designed. It worked to make the house feel lovely. He walked into his own room changing out of his messy oil and grease stained outfit. After a couple of minutes, the scientist found a lovely pair of black pants and a nice black dress shirt to wear to meet his new assistant. He knew she would be there soon, and would have to look presentable for their first meeting.

Simon took a quick shower before getting dressed. His timing it would seem was on point as he heard the door. He headed to the door to meet his new assistant. He was curious he new almost nothing except they had a good education and were recommended by people he and his first assistant trusted. What were they going to be like. He was rather excited to figure this mystery woman out.

Luna Had traveled quite the way for this job. She was more than amazed that she was chosen out of all of the applicants. This was a dream come true. After applying to many places have been turned down due to her just not fitting the bill she finally got called back. Sure it was way out of the way but it was still a job.

This place was so far and really cold. Most people her age wanted to be where the tropical weather was but there’s something beautiful about the snow. Dress for the weather she carried a paper with the address of her new employment.

She didn’t know much about her new boss but she would find out more once she met him in person. Her nerves were on edge and she hoped her first impression would leave a mark with him. When she finally arrived at the door she get out of her ride and slowly walk towards the entrance standing outside too afraid to press the doorbell or even knock.

From Simmons glass door he could see where Luna was but she didn’t notice him. It took all of her courage to ring the doorbell. For now she would wait until the door opened and to me who would be her new superior.

Walking to the door, he looked to see the young woman who was sent to his home. His eyes looked over the young woman for a good moment. He took her in as he saw the nervousness in her face, he saw the some determination too. She had traveled all this way for a job, that told him a lot. He saw her language that was nearby her as well and thought about the times the others had started to work for him. A smile formed on his lips as he thought back on those first interactions. He was more curious to learn more about this woman. As he walked to the door, unseen by her, he couldn't but notices she was much more prettier than the past assistances he had.

In a single motion he opened the door, his eyes going to meet those of the dark-haired Luna. "Hello, Miss Luna, it is glad to finally have you up here at my home," he said politely as he moved his hand using a bit of magic to pick up her bags and carry them via a bit of magic. "I am your new boss Simon De Gross, but just call me Simon, Miss," he said respectfully.

He gave Luna a moment to introduce herself as she wanted. The dark-haired man politely smiled listening to her words as he gave her the time and respect to listen. "It is good to have you here Miss Luna. Now, let me take you to your room," he said as he motioned her to follow himself.

Leading Luna down the hall. The new assistant could see the beauty of the mountain side. As well as the garage, he used in distance. If one looked very hard, as well as the paths that led to the various buildings in his estate. He led her to one of the rooms as he opened he turned towards Luna.

"This, my dear assistant is your room. The furniture is just the left over stuff. You may keep it or in time get rid of it if you want. Make yourself at home, there is a bathroom connected to the room. I will leave you here to get used to your new home. If you need me, I will be in the kitchen making some dinner. I am sure your hungry after such a long bit of travel," he said giving her a sly wink after, mostly to see her reaction.

After leaving her to settle down, the elf male walked to the kitchen on the other side of the home. He was able to use magic to cut and slice tomatoes and then also mix together a sauce while he was showing Luna to her room. Walking in, he took the prepared parts to the meal and mixed together a lovely pasta dish putting it together. The elf male had figured that his new assistant would perhaps join him for the meal.

It felt like an eternity waiting at that door when in fact it was only a few minutes. She had her share of luggage next to her as she clutched the paper holding all the details of her new job. This place was huge and vast. Not to mention cold, but you kind of liked it since you were so different from her usual tropical climate.

Brown eyes what search all around her and seen so much snow as well as his very large. Was this where she would be staying? The job did say she had accommodations. She didn’t know too much but she would find out the rest of the details today. When the door opened her focus shifted.

She looked like she came from a very long way. Dressed for travel as she was, it looked like she had to buy a new wardrobe just to be ready for the cold. "Hello. It's very Nice to finally meet you Dr. Gross." She knew his name from the application but he introduced himself giving her a name he would prefer to be called. Making a mental note as she entered his home. It was very kind of him to help with her luggage. It was easy to see how intrigued she was when she was invited in and she looked all around getting used to her new surroundings.

Watching him easily use magic got her to stare at him a bit longer since most humans did not use any magic at all. “ it is a pleasure to finally meet you. As you already know I’m Luna Nova Astrum. Please call me Luna. I have a room here?” her voice was filled with surprise since she was expecting to be put in a different area not in the main house. This was an excellent turn of events. Most assistants knew they were practically underlings. Right now it felt like she had a major jackpot!

Still in her coat she walked into her room and took a look around. “ Thank you very much. I’ll take a moment to get settled. Everything is fine I don’t think I need to get rid of anything. I will not be much trouble and I don’t fuss a lot sir.” Luna had never worked for an elf before so she was rather nervous as she got settled and he left her alone in her room. Taking off her coat leaving her in her fancy dress since she wanted to make a good impression she would go over any information she had for the job. When she read all she thought she had to read it wouldn’t take her long to head out to see what that delicious smell was.

Wandering from her room she would follow the delicious aroma from the kitchen. “Whatever that is it smells amazing. I hope I’m not intruding sir. I can make my own dinner if you’d like and I allowed to use the kitchen?” she didn’t know how friendly this boss was. She was not going to intrude where she was not wanted so she was testing the waters to see if she could use the kitchen especially since she didn’t think he would prepare food for her. Most human bosses would not.

Simon looked up about the time that he was done with the dishes of food, as he saw the human woman walk into the kitchen. He listened to her as he heard her request. "I must turn you down on that one. I am particular in what I make, so I prefer to cook myself. You may use the kitchen from time to time, with advance notice. Now this food is for the both of us, a trade off as it were for you not having complete access to the kitchen."

He went over and prepared a second plate with the pasta on it as he put it down at the table. "Now, my dear, I hope you don't mind wine," he said as he took a lovely bottle of wine and two glasses and put them down on the table. He poured a glass for each of them and put her glass down next to her food.

Sitting down at his own spot he gave her a moment to join him at the table. "Now, I hope that the room works for you," Simon said politely, "I hoped to use this time to go over what I expect of you and what you will be doing as my assistant. As well as compensation for this job. Plus I figured I would answer any questions that you might have for me. When we are done, we can go and check the buildings that I work in out, or we can do that tomorrow."

The dark-haired male gave the young woman a moment to let that settle in before he would say anything else. "Now, I do a lot of experiments. A lot of the experiments are hands on stuff here. Most of the time I am free to work on what I want. Sometimes I do have to do work for important people, though. I however hate paperwork, and you as my assistant are going to handle this for me. You will keep records of all the experiments, and you will send the paper work out to those who need it. You will also help me plan out experiments. You perhaps come up with you own ideas to test out too. The main requirement is the paperwork, though. I need a person who can understand the work. To keep track of experiments. As well as send off the papers to people who hire me in time to make sure nothing goes bad. That is about all. I will pay for all living expenses while you live here. I will allow you your own area to try out your own ideas when you want. Lastly, I will pay you 100 golden coins a year," he explained pausing at the end to wait for any questions that Luna might have.

The dark-haired scientist started to eat his meal as he would give Luna time to think up questions. He figured that he would do his best to answer her questions. He also could see her reaction. That would tell him a lot more about how well she would work out for him. He had to admit she was rather beautiful. His eyes scanned over her face as he sipped on the wine. He was sure that her questions would give him more information about her too.

“Y…yes sir.” was her response when he said he didn’t need to make anything. It was very rare that the boss would prefer to make things for the assistant. Then again this was her first time ever working for an elf. She had heard stories about how particular they were. This is probably her first taste of being with someone of non-human origin who is her boss.

She wondered what an elf dinner would be like as he prepared and played at the food. Her imagination run wild and her nerves were on edge. That he presented it look like pasta. Elves eat pasta? He could tell she was confused that she watches every move he made. She couldn’t help but stare and try to figure out what he was like.

Following his lead she would move slowly and take a seat at the table. “Wine?” Luna parroted back. It must be all right if he was offering it and he wasn’t starting work just yet since he just arrived. It wasn’t like she was the one bringing the wine so it would be rude to say no. “Wine it’s fine for me. Thank you sir.” she had not gotten used to using his name yet so sir was it for now she felt like it might be overkill if she used boss.

The young woman would not start eating until he did choosing to sip on her water first before taking a sip of wine. It was her first day at a new place so everything was new. She was trying to get a read on her boss but she wasn’t sure what to even look for. If you were human she knew exactly what to pick out and find out what he was like but this was a new playing field.

When he began talking about the job and the work she had to do she would listen intently keeping eye contact and nodding with each bit of information given. “Paperwork it’s no problem I can handle that I’m actually used to doing that. It sounds like an easy enough job though I might be a little afraid to do my own experiment since I’m new to the area. I’ll start off by making sure no paperwork goes and unfinished and cross every t dot every i. Attention to details crucial. Don’t worry I am very good at what I do. It sounds like a very livable wage. May I ask about your last assistant?” it was her turn to ask questions and she was wondering if the last assistant just retired or went screaming into the snowbank. She figured it would be alright to ask. The pay was good. The housing was not terrible though she was a bit sad about the kitchen but with what she was getting she could live without the kitchen. He did say she could get it sometimes so that’s when she’d use it to make food that she was used to. “I know i’m a bit curious but this place you hear stories about especially being so far out. Your last assistant wasn’t eaten by a creature out here were they? I honestly have a feeling that’s an urban legend because no one can prove it but I just have to ask.” she couldn’t help her curiosity especially when it came to this area. Many said that many humans worked out here so she was very shocked that she even got the job but she had the credentials in the education that would fit perfectly here.

Simon listened intently as she talked, he could see that she was honest and straightforward. Those were two things that were good in an assistant. Hearing her say she was good with paperwork was a plus. He could handle it, but it was such a drain on him. It took away time he could be working on an experiment or thinking one out. He just hated it with every fiber in his body. However, he did know that it was important for a whole lot of reasons.

The elf scientist listened as he heard her comments about his assistant who came before her. He smiled a little checky smile as he looked at her. He raised an eyebrow, "Worried about who your replacing huh," he said with his lips turning into a playful grin. Hearing her worry, this was going to be to much fun not to do. "You saw the statues along the road on your way in," he said pausing, "Beautiful females frozen in perfect poses. What if I told you those were my former assistants who had failed me. They messed up, and I used magic to turn them into stone," he said with a straight very serious tone to him. "It is best to not fail this job," he added in with the same dead serious tone.

The elf watched the young woman's reaction to this. He knew it was going to be great, to see her panic over that bit of information. He waited a good moment to let her worry and fret over that story before he started to laugh. "I kid, my last assistant hated the cold, so she used her experience here and opened up a lab on some tropical island. The one before her I believe was your teacher at university. Then the one before that is the minister of science for our glorious land," he explained as he figured she should know the truth of the mater.

"I find treating my assistants like family is the best way to get the best work done. While you are here, you are under my care. I only have one assistant, and I have great expectations for you. Just do your best, though, and I am sure it will be fine," he added his tone soft and light as he spoke.

He let his eyes look up as if taking in Luna with his glances. He ate quietly as he would also eat pretty quickly too. He paused after a few moments again. "Now when we are done do you want to go on a tour of every building here or just want to get some sleep."

“I can’t help but be curious. I think anyone would be when they are replacing someone.” She held her tongue as she listened to him explain when he mentioned the statues that she saw along the road her expression change excited to pretty frightened. “T…that was not in the job description when I applied….” Luna got to be really silent because she took a sip of her wine quietly since his tone is very serious and she took it to heart.

When his tone with me and series to joking he could see the color start to return to her face. “You almost had me running for the door with that! I guess I see that you are a joker.” finally smiling a little bit though she had to get her heart to stop racing.

She was eating slowly since she was still warming up from outside. Even though she was inside her body was still getting used to the cold temperatures. The house itself was very warm but the windchill went straight to her bones left are still slightly cold. “My professor worked for you small the world! So he probably told you about me then. I guess that’s called luck. He didn’t say what I want to disappoint him or you. I can see why she went for tropical climate but I don’t mind the cold but I’m not freezing. I didn’t expect this much snow. Do you like living out here?” it was now her turn to ask questions since she was curious as she slowly worked her way to through her pasta and enjoying her wine savoring the taste.

“I would really appreciate the door I’m not tired yet settle in soon. Will I be starting tomorrow morning?” asking since she didn’t know if tomorrow is the start day or was he going to give her a couple days to get settled but either way she was willing to do it.

"Yes, a bit, as he told me that I needed a beautiful and capable woman to work as my assistant, and that you would fit both areas. That you would be ideal for me to have around up here," Simon replied as he remembered words with his old friend at a conference while he was making up his mind about whom his new assistant would be. That had been important, but he had already decided on her before that moment in time. "I think of your old professor as a kind of brotherly figure. He is a good man, a bit odd sometimes, but still a very good man," Simon said appraising the professor of hers.

"As for living out here, this is the native lands of my people or was the native lands of my people a long time ago. Most have moved on and left. I however feel connected to this land and it history. Thus, I couldn't ever really leave it," he explained as he paused for a moment. "I should tell you, we elves do live a good bit longer than humans, about twice as long. Your professor was your age when I meet him. I am currently 66 years old," he explained to her to make sure she knew that fact about him.

He returned to eating, the flavor and taste of the pasta was on point. The mixture of tangy and savory went well together and the pasta absorbed the flavors so well. He finished the glass and the food as he got to his feet. "Let us be off on this tour then, Luna," he said with a polite tone. "You may call me Simon. The mister stuff is odd to me."

He walked to the door. "I can do a bit of magic to keep us warm in the cold. You just have to be close to me to stay warm, withing a foot or so," he explained. It was a limited range warmth spell that would keep her warm, but would require her to walk shoulder to shoulder with him the whole while. He didn't have to use it, but he wanted to make sure that Luna was comfortable in the cold. Now walking so close to such a beautiful woman was a bonus for sure.

Walking from the building he would walk to the garage. He would open the door to the heated building. The lights coming on, the garage was empty at that moment. "Nothing to work on while waiting on an assistant, so no projects now, but this is where I work on various large objects, mostly as prototypes to be sent out," he said as he would let her look around the large room as she wanted and get to know it better. He stood near the entrance as he would let her get used to the feel of the room. "If you have any questions, go ahead and ask. Best to be up front about things."

"The next area isn't so empty as this,"
he commented after a bit. He motioned her to follow him to an elevator that went right down, around one level. Opening there were countless flowers and berries being grown, a number of fruits that were not local too. There was a light mist of rain from the celling above too. It was a strange place underground, but somehow with enough light to keep the plants growing naturally. The area was warm enough as well. He knew the questions were going to come about this place. He stood and let Luna just wonder about. "This place is always like this. It is where I get my food. We elves don't eat meat after all," he explained if she didn't know.

“I’ll Make a memo to remind myself to yell at my professor for that comment. I’m good at what I do. He could be a little weird sometimes please ignore him when you make strange assumptions.” her professor never knew when to keep his mouth shut. Was he a matchmaker all of a sudden? She would have to send him a message explaining how that was massively inappropriate since she was trying to get in good with this field. “more like A meddling big brother he means well but he needs to keep his mouth shut sometimes. I’ve worked with him for quite some time. He’s probably different with you than he is with me. Good guy no boundaries.” The last part was said with a laugh and a shake her head tossing her long dark hair. Simon could tell she liked her professor but sometimes he tended to get on her nerves. Any student of his would say if the exact same thing she would especially if they were ladies. He always thought it was best for them to be paired with a male boss. Even if they protested it was just how he was and most of them just ignored him. “Either wait I hope you know I will be giving you 110% even more. I look forward to working with you.” her tone was truthful and sincere.

When Simon began to explain about elves and how they lived longer than humans she nodded since that was one thing she knew. That was about all she knew about else honestly. Most humans did not study elves or even work with them for that matter. It is rare for a human in an out to actually work together. This was definitely an unlikely partnership.

“Sorry sir…Simon you’re still my superior and I guess it feels weird to me calling you by name. You’re still my boss. I don’t wanna ruffle any feathers.” Luna said feeling bad since she didn’t wanna make a bad impression and she was still really nervous. “I’m Not an elf as you can see so we have different real sets and it’s going to take me a while to adjust to yours. I only asked that you give me time. If I called my boss by his name I would be fired on the spot. It’s a hard habit to break and you’re the first elf I’ve ever worked with.” honesty was the best policy. Finishing her wine and her pasta she take a napkin and wipe her lips to make sure she had nothing on them.

When she was done she would get up and follow Simon to where he would lead and this time it was to the garage. Her big brown eyes were taking in the sites but she was still listening carefully and trying to memorize the layout. “No meat? Would it be rude if I eat meat sometimes humans kind of need it you know. It helps us with vitamins I’ll cook it myself and you never have to touch it. Is that a dealbreaker for this job?” he could tell Luna was getting rather nervous and thinking maybe her first day might actually be her last especially since they didn’t share dietary needs. She could probably live on vegetables but she might not do so well especially in this climate and she wasn’t sure how she would get any meat but she was not afraid of hunting and she would actually go out and do it herself if that’s what she had to do. Even though she was a delicate girl she was raised to be self-sufficient and Simon would soon learn that.

She was honest, and there was nothing at all wrong with that. He looked at her as he stood in the garden and then looked back as she asked about the issue of meat. Being direct about that. He guessed she was someone who ate meat. He nodded his head, "I see, Luna, that is possible. None of my previous assistances cooked at all, you're the first one who does so," he said honestly as her old professor couldn't avoid burning things. "Now, you will find a small town at the base of the path, that goes that way," he said pointing to the east. "It is a five minute ride via the large, oversized tram. You can go down there and get meat or find something to eat. It is how I send out goods from here to the rest of the world, especially the large stuff. The trail you took isn't right for that."

He paused giving her a moment with the flowers and the berries. He figured she might even try one."Now, when you cook, make sure to completely clean up your dishes. That is one of two requirements for you to cook. They do have a good elk burger according to your old professor, so I am sure you can figure it out. The other is to setup a time and date for you to cook meat. I will figure a way to find something for myself to eat those days, which is fine."

He motioned her to follow him onwards. He would take her to the storage area, which was rather large filled with supplies and tools. Then he would take her to the natural springs that were uphill from the house. Lastly, he would take her to the observatory at the top of the hill. He walked close to her with a bit more excitement in his step, like a kid showing off his toys to a new guest.

The large building had a large telescope. It was his pride and joy. The inside of the building was filled with books and a few tables with a lot of notes on them. "Do not worry here, these are the things I do write. I love to look up at the stars and measure them. To dream of going up there and seeing what is there. This place is my escape as it were," he explained to her. He figured none of his assistance had any use for this place, but it was kind of his special place and she should know that.

Hearing that none of his prior assistants cooked it made her raise an eyebrow but maybe they were too busy and Luna wasn’t going to judge. Learning that there was a town nearby it was helpful and a good way to make sure she could get meat when she wanted it. Looking towards the east when he pointed in that direction she made a mental note.“Thank you and that is fair. I won’t leave dishes and I’ll even invest in my own pots and pans do I won’t use yours for meat. I’ll even pick a specific color do we won’t mix them up.” offering a solution do he wouldn’t worry about cross contamination.

Luna kept close as she made note of the rooms but when they got to the observatory that’s when her interest piqued. “Not many people have these. They are so expensive. Look!” pointing up at one of the moons. “it’s really pretty tonight. You really should look out while it’s clear. You can see so much even without the telescope but it’s helpful. Don’t worry I won’t touch anything. This is your place. I’ll keep to using my handheld telescope. Let me read your notes sometimes. I’d like to read what you find.” Luna was letting her interest shine through with this area as she did her best not to touch anything even though she really wanted to!

He paused as he considered her offer about cooking and such. "Okay, all my pots are a bronze color, with a green base," he carefully explained. He knew then she could find pots and pans that would undoubtedly work for her. That would be best. He knew it was best to not chance it. His stomach would not act well if he suddenly ate meat, his body merely wasn't built for it at all. He figured he would be throwing up all night if that happened.

He saw the excitement in the brown eyes of the young scientist. He could tell this was something she liked. He paused as he heard her talk about leaving his stuff alone. Waving his hands in front of his face, he didn't agree with her on that sentiment at all. "No, when a person enjoys something and they find someone else that share that passion. They should share it and not try to keep it to themselves. By sharing that interest, it allows people to create friendships and work better together. You are more than welcome to operate the telescope and look for things. Keep notes of your discovers too. That is all fine with me."

Walking over he lined up the telescope just a bit to adjust for various things and looked back at Luna. "Now Miss Moon," he said kidding. "I have a view you are going to enjoy," he said as he would let her look through the telescope. She would be able to see a planet pretty darn clearly through the lens up in space. "Now I am certain I have some extra books somewhere you can use for notes as you use this thing too."

He stood there as he would let her look at the planet and whatever else she would want. He figured it was nice to know that himself and his new assistant had something they both liked. It gave them common ground which was excellent when developing a working relationship. He sat back in a chair as he let her enjoy this time for a bit. He had nothing else to show her as far as places. It would be just a walk back to his house, and let her get used to her room. He was impressed by her. She was honest, sincere, smart, and interesting. He figured she might be an exceptional assistant for him.

“In that case I’ll look for a different base color. That make sure I don’t cause any issues with your things. Better safe than sorry. I’ll check the town when I have a day to myself. Luna said making sure to remember to to buy the wrongs base color.

Falling silent when Simon spoke about sharing their likes and things they had in common. It was more than kind of him to offer his expensive looking equipment. “I’ll be very careful with it. I promise.” Luna haver her word. When he let her look and he pointed her in the direction of the telescope but when he adjusted it for her to look he could hear his lovely assistant gasp. “It’s beautiful!” the lovely Ms. Moon gasped as Simon would be treated to her not only admiring the plant but grabbing a notebook he said was for her and began writing notes of her own.

Simon would eventually get het back into the house but when he let her explore Simon would find her outside still admiring the planet he had showed her and decided she’d take her own notes instead of exploring her own room for the evening.

Simon thought about it for a moment as he went to his house. He walked into the kitchen and worked to organize the cabinets for himself and for his new assistant. He knew that she was completely different from the past assistants that he had. He would leave areas for his own cooking things, his own cooking supplies as well as areas for Luna to keep her stuff. He also found an old freezer and set it up for her to use. This would help Luna would be able to keep her meat cold and isolated from the rest of the food. He used his magic to help him move things from place to place as was his great specialty for magic.

Simon looked at the work after a while. It looked pleasant, and he was sure this would make the transition for his assistant a lot easier for her and for him. He went to her room to find herself outside still and not in her room. He paused his hands pressed against the frame of the door. He could tell already that she enjoyed the stars, and that they shared a great interest. It was fitting for her name to enjoy the cosmos. He saw her coat and shook his head. He went and got a large fur linned coat of his and walked outside. He went to find her standing and looking at the planet he had shown her. She had tracked it with her own small telescope and found it herself. Impressive work, and said that she was rather competent too.

Simon put the coat over her shoulders. "Best that you keep warm and not ill," he said softly as he figured he might surprise you. "Stay up as long as you like, you can operate my telescope more tonight if you want. Tomorrow I will be organizing the garage and moving things around. Nothing you will need to do up here. I suggest you use the day to get your meat, pots, pans and other supplies you forgot or need," he said giving her the okay to go into town to get the things she would want. "The tram runs at around nine in the morning and returns around three or you just set up a time with the operator when you head down."

He thought about what they could do, "Now if you want we can add a second telescope up to the area mine is so we can work together. It will take time, but it would be a first good assignment for you. If you feel like your up for that. I am going to take time setting up ideas. Plus I will help with this as there are things I want to try again and make a new telescope and I think I can make it even better than mine."

Luna was lucky Simon was rather attentive. She had braces the cold without her coat in favor of tracking the stars from here on her own. When Simon startled her and she jumped. Though she did accept the coat as she didn’t realize she was indeed shivering. “Thank you sir. I won’t. I just wanted to plot a bit more.” Old habits die hard. She couldn’t help but call him sir but she’d eventually get comfortable with him but it was only day one.

At the mention of a second telescope Simon would see Luna’s eyes grow wide and a smile brighter than the sun take over her face. “I’d love that! If you did that I’d be so grateful. I’ll keep up with my normal duties and the new ones. I love tracking starts though with my little telescope it’s not easy but once I settle in and if you wish to I can show you my notes. Only if you’d like…” Luna was practically glowing and more slice and animated speaking about the stars. Simon had indeed hit the jackpot with this starry eyed assistant.

Simon nodded his head, "That is fine, don't worry about it," He said. He heard her call him sir again. He knew it was habit for her, and it wasn't the worst thing in the world. Sir was far better than mister, as that just made him feel old. He knew he was, just wasn't a fan of being reminded of said fact. He pulled back and listened to the young woman as she was clearly thrilled about the second telescope He smiled at this excitement. He needed this, as it was something that would give him more creative energy and drive to undoubtedly do work as well.

Standing the snow starting to fall, he gave her a grin. "Now, the modern telescope isn't merely for personal use, it goes with the next thing I am. No, the first thing we are going to work together on," he said pausing for dramatic effect. "I am going to develop a rocket, actually we are going to work on a series of them to figure out the science of them better. Then maybe in the very long term, build something large enough to put an object up there in the cosmos. It is a hard and near impossible task, but with you as my assistant, I consider a meaningful lofty goal to go after."

He turned after dropping that bombshell to her. He had decided it when he saw her looking up at the stars. It was something that had been on his mind forever, but always shot down by assistants who wanted more earthly ambitions like recent farming or transportation projects. That or he had lacked the money to do so. He had both now, an assistant who would support him and the money to give it a go.

Walking back to his own study which was next to the room, he felt considerable excitement in himself. He promptly pulled out his copious notes and sketches and started to work working on graceful lines and angles that might work for the design of a first rocket. He would without a doubt be up all night doing this. He was when his mind was into something also a workaholic for better and worse. HIs drive would without a doubt carry him into the new day. By the time that the new day would arrive there would be a stack of ideas, as well as a whole of crumpled up paper with ideas that were tossed away. Ideas that were by passed. If Luna were to come to see this she would find a man completely focused in. His mind so one tracked the world outside his ideas was a complete void. The drawings, and notes easy to oversee.

She couldn’t help but call him sir. It was an old habit that works die hard. “Don’t worry I won’t use if for personal use all the time but I can’t help be want to always look up. There has got to be more than this.” her voice sounded dreamy and full of curiosity. “A rocket?” Luna parroted back. It sounded like a dream. A fantasy but her new boss came off as smart enough to pull this off!

“Why stop at an object when you could dream bigger? What about sending a person?” Luna asked before she would see her boss turn to head inside. Practically on his heels as she followed him to his room.

Taking a look at his work if he’s let her she’d stay up most of not all night with him discussing his ideas. Adding her own but she was still new but willing to try. Offering her own ideas to his if he’d listen and his new assistant was really getting into her role and showing that her dreams were just as big as his own.

As he sat at his desk, Simon didn't see or notice Luna for a few moments as he was getting down his books. They covered aerodynamics, lift, thrust, solid and liquid fluid, as well many other related topics. The books I would be if nothing else used as reference materials. He had his notes as well cluttering up his desk.

Turning he noticed Luna, he figured she might stay out looking at the stars for a longer period of time. “Now, this will take a lot of time. If you want to start helping, I won’t object at all.”

The dark hair elf thumbed through some materials. His eyes going over the research material before handing over a notebook. “These were the base ideas I have worked up. Pretty base stuff. The idea is to create a proof of concept with our first models. Then we will get more support and money to pay for the more to support the program. Sadly it will take more than two people to build a rocket large enough to take people to space or to say the moon.”

He would work on the general form of the rocket. The aerodynamic properties, the many various elements. He would listen to advice and all of the ideas of Luna as well. Working with her was easy, and he lost track of time completely. As time went by many ideas were rejected ultimately. By early in the morning, there were base plans for four rockets to build and test. Each was very different, but this was stuff in there the world that almost no one had ever tried.

As early morning came, Simon knew that Luna looked tired. "Luna, let's call it here, tomorrow when we wake up we can both get the supplies for the rocket. As well as supplies for needs too. Then we can get to work actually making these test rockets of ours."

Luna wasn’t shy about jumping into all the new information. This was fun for her. Aerodynamics was a bit new but she was not shy about learning anything new. When Simon handed her notes and books and was going over them with a fine toothed comb. “I’m working here now so I’m assuming I gave all the time I need and my own time too. It’ll take more than us but I know humans look for higher ups to provide funding for a decent cause and elves should be no different correct?” Luna asked as she picked a thick book on aerodynamics to look over.

Luna lost track of time though she did aid him in many new notes. She was eventually falling asleep with a pen in hand and nose in a book. “Do elves drink coffee and use cream and sugar?” Luna asked sounding exhausted. She wasn’t ready to sleep but she did just arrive yesterday and did need the dress from her long travels and time to unpack.

“That sounds correct. I however often do work for humans as well as elves. Most of the work for elves has been about environmental science . It can be rather boring and the pay isn’t good,” Simon commented out loud as he was really tired as well. This project would be for a human group most likely. Elves were about the planet less about other ones. It was part of the reason he lived apart from his own race. His love of the stars over earthly matters made him a outcast. He worked through the night putting a blanket over Luna. He picked her up and put her on the coach in the room. He figured she shouldn’t wake sore because bad sleep posture.

Walking back to the desk he did a bit more work before falling asleep at his desk. He woke up later, as he heard Luna. Stretching his hands up he put up a thumbs up. “Yes, I just don’t eat meat. Traditionally elves are completely vegan. I gave up most of that except the no meat part my body doesn’t let me get away with that,” he explained. He thought for a moment. “There are a lot of different types of coffee and tea down in the kitchen. I will take whatever you make yourself.”

“Pay means food and a comfortable life. Humans rely on that. We do what we love but sometimes money is a deciding factor.” Luna said honestly. If she didn’t like her work it wouldn’t be worth her doing. Poor Luna was exhausted and if it wasn’t for Simon she would’ve slept sitting and with that book and pencil in hand. His new assistant was light and easy to move.

Once on the couch she even stretched out. Falling asleep did her well since her body needed the rest. Yawning as she slowly sat up and heard his answer snot coffee and tea. “I’ll leave breakfast to you and how about coffee? Maybe I should change. I would like to research a bit more. After food of course. I must be driving you crazy and i just arrived. I’m sure your other assistants didn’t steal your telescope.” Luna made idle conversation.

Simon nodded his head he could understand how money could be important but it was a bit of an alien concept still. For Simon life was about leaving a mark on the work. It was about doing what one enjoyed while advancing the entire idea of science. He rubbed his eyes as he heard Lina’s comment about eating. He though for a moment and looked out at the sun outside in the sky.it was not morning most likely outside.

“Ok, Luna,” he said getting to his feet. “An idea, we both get a shower and get cleaned up for the day. Then we head down into town. We find something to eat and we shop for your things as well. As well as the materials to make our rockets.”

He gave Luna a moment to react to his statement. “I don’t particularly feel like cooking right now. As for the bothering part. That is not true. I have greatly enjoyed this time with you. You have made a great impression. You a really awesome woman, Luna. Now let, us get washed up. I am sure the shower will help us both get ready for the day.”

It was nice to hear that she had not got on Simon’s nerves yet. When she got into her own world it was hard to shut her up.

He new boss did have a point and she nodded. “I’ll get a shower and change. How about today you pick the restaurant if we’re going since I’m still new and next time I’ll choose. I still need to learn about this place. Unless you plan on firing me soon.” Luna joked but she got along pretty well for her first time with her new superior.

“Just keep me in the loop for our budget and things and I’ll crunch the numbers. I may not look like it by actually pretty darn good at math.” she said proudly before slipping off into her room. When he mentioned food she realized how hungry she actually was but she was resigned to eating vegetarian for lunch and will pick up me in town later as well as cookware so she can cook and stay close to work. Once in her room she would shower and get changed into a nice dress.

Once she was ready she would head out to the common room and wait for Simon to come out. she was very patient it was in the rush especially when it came to see her new town.

Simon was able to get ready pretty quickly. He had to think of a place to eat. There were not many but there was a nice cafe that had enough to fit what anyone could want. He was hungry himself and they had work in the small town to get done too. Walking out he dressed up in a suit and a jacket to keep warm. He figured part of the trip was for business so dressing up was needed. He walked to the common room and smile as he saw Luna. She looked beautiful a ideal lady and really elegant too.

”Let us be off,” He said as he would hold the door open for Luna to leave the home. The sun was up and while very cold it was warmer than the day before, and the lack of wind made it much nicer.

“You talked about money and keeping track. I will really need your help with that. I am okay at best and my project have a tendency of over spending,” he informed her answering a question Luna asked earlier.

Simon led her to the small car he kept, it would work to get them from his home to town and carry small supplies back, the tram was for the big stuff, that he couldn’t get into the car. He held the door open to the car and got in the other side. He would crank up the car and drive the dirt path to the town. The town had adozen total stores and restaurants combined, and a few small industrial locations. In total the town might have two thousand people living in it. He drove right up to the store and parked.

“Well here we are, let see if you like their food,” Simon mused before getting out and getting the door for Luna.

Back
Top Bottom