Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

There's a New Girl in Town (a Supergirl yuri Frozen Princess x Kevinn)

As she looked at the queue already formed, the baker could already tell it would be a long day. She quickly saw the faces of several regulars, as well as one less-regular but very recognisable face. The first person in line was none other than a girl from the neighbourhood who was there most days seeking a job with her. Unfortunately up until now, the baker had to decline her interest but seeing everything that had been happening as of late, maybe it was time to add another pair of hands.

"Good morning Elizabeth!" She greeted her with her brightest morning smile. "You know what.. I might actually be needing another set of hands in here but we can't talk about it right now." She began preparing the girl's order, fortunately an easy one. "Come after lunch if you're free, or tomorrow after I close down. I'd meet you today but-" She cut off, blushing at the thought slightly. "I've got a date." She took the money and handed out the order before moving on to the next customer. "Have a good day Elizabeth!"

The queue was growing shorter at a fast pace, soon reaching another well known face, Grace. The order was quick and served just as quickly, always with the baker's best smile as she watched the woman move away, saying a few words to Supergirl before giving her a kiss on the cheek. It was then that she recalled Lois accusing the officer on having a crush on the heroine, something which perhaps wasn't all that farfetched.

It was then that Jessica realised that Supergirl had blushed slightly at the kiss, something that for some odd reason she wouldn't have expected from her and she couldn't help but chuckle about as she approached the counter. "Oh?" Jessica raised an eyebrow at the peace offering comment. "Your list is right here." She pulled it out from the till where she'd placed it in case she would return. "You should be careful. Those symbols said nothing to me but what if someone dangerous found that?" Hse hadn't realised she was telling supergirl off once again. "I can't- We can't lose you Supergirl" She just about managed to save herself from an embarrassing situation, preparing the cinnamon bun.

"I'm not sure who you angered but if it's who I suspect.. I think you may need a little more than that." She leaned in, whispering. "You may have to give in to that interview." Though the crowd was debating who the bun was for, Jessica knew the order well. "Oh.. And.. Thanks for the message yesterday. I'm really looking forward to seeing her." As she said goodbye to the hero with Kara on her mind, her smile only grew wider.

Elizabeth promised to return later that day, "Around noon? Sure!" She seemed elated, and even added, "Sixteen and a whole month before school starts, but I could always work the weekends when it does!" She practically skipped out the door saying in a sing-song lilt, "You, too, Miss Jessica!"

Supergirl blinked as Jessica scolded her, slightly wincing at the thought of someone unscrupulous getting her to-do list, and then yet another high school student type response. "Yes'm Miss Jessica. I get that. I-I'll try to do better. Promise." She gave a hangdog look, typical of one Jessica might have seen on any scolded teen girl who knew she screwed up. "I even told myself not to lose it, and I did anyway. Can't scratch off number seven. Thanks for keeping it safe for me." She bit her lower lip as Jessica whispered to her regarding the fight she had with Lois, although the baker didn't come right out and say it, it was like she knew. "Was I that transparent?" She asked surprised, before blushing and lowering her head again. "Yeah, I think you may be right." She then whispered back, "Problem is, Miss Jessica, I have a secret identity.... That interview could get me found out... I DO have a civilian life. I can't risk that coming out. Being mobbed during the interview wasn't the only issue. I mean it's Lois Lane. She's like a bulldog. She won't quit til every secret's revealed." She pulled back and as the last of Jessica's words came out, even her bright smile came back. "Oh, that was nothing, and don't forget to tell me all about the date, next time I come in!" She was then out the door with a whoosh, so if there was any change due her, it was apparently Jessica's tip.

If Elizabeth would prove anything to Jessica, it was the teen would be punctual, and knew how to look for an interview. She was in the door and at a table waiting for her interview, dressed in a light blue top, dark slacks, and a comfortable pair of white athletic shoes; strawberry blonde hair neatly brushed and pulled back in a high ponytail. Just a slight pink coated her lips, and she even had a notebook and pen, to take notes. Having her own pen also meant Jessica wouldn't have to supply one for an application if one was to be filled out. She'd also have everything Jessica might ask for as far as identification in her purse. Her smile and a hello greeted the last few customers that came in before a short lull.

It really did feel great to make someone so happy with something so small. All she did was offer the girl a small job and yet she completely seemed to have changed her day, it was for those moments that she'd started baking for everybody, to see the smiles on their faces as they left.

Jessica only realised how she'd scolded Supergirl once she saw her reaction which she couldn't help but feel was a little condescending. She didn't take it in a bad way however, instead blushing slightly as she laughed at herself and her motherly attitude in her mind. "You're welcome, I'm glad it was me who found it." It's a shame she hadn't taken a photo of the list first however as Supergirl, possibly by accident, revealed what the seventh item on it meant.

It was the blonde's following words that really shocked the baker, pretty much rocking her world. She wasn't quite sure what to say. A secret identity? Who? How? Her face was recognised by everyone, she was literally the most famous person in metropolis. How could anyone like her possibly dream of hiding her identity? Jessica wanted to ask questions, so many of them but before she had any time, the blonde left the money and rushed off with the cinnamon bun. Supergirl had quite literally dropped a bomb on her and rushed off. How was she supposed to deal with that? Fortunately her long queue of customers still waiting provided a quick reply to that question as orders kept coming in.

The morning all but flew by and before long, Elizabeth had returned for the interview. Things had fortunately calmed down by then but the Baker hadn't really had time to prepare or even learn how to actually conduct an interview. Between the morning rush and her mind still hung up on Supergirls secret identity and her date with Kara later, it was difficult not to get distracted.

With a deep breath, the baker joined the girl at the table. Fortunately she hadn't had to wait long. "Sorry for the wait Elizabeth, it's been a really crazy day. I guess the last few days have been really." As she spoke, she did notice the effort the student had put in to her outfit and makeup. "You look great. You certainly know how to dress for an interview!" She complimented her. "So, um, this is my first time doing an interview and, to be honest, I really need the help. I know you, you're a good girl, you help your mother out, you're from the area, you even remind me a little of myself." Another breath. "Anyway, yeah, I guess what I really need to know is what days and times you're available and until when, I know you'll start school after the summer but if you want to keep working here, we'll try and work something out, don't worry. Other than that, all I'll really need is a copy of your ID and I can get your papers ready to sign tomorrow. I guess the only question I have is... When would you like to start Elizabeth?" She gave her a wink, congratulating her on the job.

Elizabeth smiled, "Beth or Betty, please, Miss Jessica. And I guess whatever days you need me up until I go back to school as a senior. I know August is like tomorrow, so, y'know, August first could be my first day, if that's okay." Somehow the 16 year old senior, kept her eyes on Jessica's, while going in her purse and pulling out both her state ID and student ID to Central Metropolis High, only three blocks away. She handed them over. "I haven't seen my schedule yet, but since the school hours probably didn't change, classes are 7:45 in the morning until 2:15 in the afternoon. Like I said on the way out this morning, I don't mind working Saturdays once school starts, and being 16 means I'm legal consent for working as long as there's no alcohol, and I know this place doesn't serve THAT. Officer Grace told me that when I turned 16 several months back. I don't think I ever saw you open on Sunday. So yeah, no matter what, I can work all day Saturday, especially when school starts, so I make my hours. And that's awesome I remind you of yourself... Oh, and congrats on the date tonight, hope it goes well!"

An explosion shook the place, followed by a low flying red and blue streak and several police cars and a fire engine. The noise seemed to be happening just up the street. Grace could be heard running by next. "Supergirl's on the scene with several Metropolis Police, we don't know the extent yet. Yes, yes, send ambulances. No the huge high rise. The new one Luthor just built for low income families."

It went without saying that the girl was quite eager to work there. Jessica wasn't quite sure why there specifically but she wouldn't be one to reject the help, certainly not to reject the girl's initiative. It was quite admirable of her to be so eager to work. "It looks like you have your homework done!" She laughed softly. "We'll work it out when the time comes. You're only sixteen, I'm sure you've got better things to do during your weekends than being stuck here." Jessica was just about done taking down Beth's details when what sounded like an explosion shook the entire place.

Immediately, the Baker stood up, looking at the girl and saying just two words. "Stay here." She ran towards the door, standing just outside. The explosion had clearly been nearby. As she looked around, she saw Grace running towards the source, her eyes following the officer and eventually finding the site as she overhead the conversation. Fast as ever, it seemed Supergirl was already there. It seemed like the explosion happened at the high rise for low income families that had only recently been finished.

As she watched the scene from afar, her heart sunk. Jessica knew many people there. She'd taken part at charity events with them, a lot of them were her customers, people she would see around often. They may not have been her biggest customers but every single person who walked through her doors mattered to her.

She looked inside the bakery, asking people to stay there, the dust and fumes starting to travel down the street. "Beth.. Stay here. Keep an eye out together with Laura." He would leave her other helper and her new hire to watch the bakery while she tried to get a better view, tried to help. She was the unknown Supergirl after all... Right? Without thinking twice about it, she ran up the street, following Grace, keeping an eye out for anyone who may have been wounded and asking them to make their way to the bakery, the dust growing thicker as she approached the site.

Last edited:
Beth was nodding, grinning, until the explosion; she nodded about staying put, and before Jessica left fully, she'd hear, "Come on, Kara, pick up, pick up!" As she ended the call, "Figures. Every time Supergirl is near or obviously involved, you never pick up, Kara Zorel! I swear, I'm beginning to suspect my best friend IS Supergirl!" She then jumped up and went to Laura to get instructions, which was apparently, seating and passing out water. This was perfectly fine with Beth, she was doing something to help out. "You know, it's funny," she said to Laura, "I've always desired to help Miss Jessica since the bakery started. I've never even been interested in dating or going out, I just wasn't old enough, yet to work here. Getting on here was my dream for almost two years!"

Down at the scene, Supergirl was ironically more in the role of traffic cop and crowd control. Something she desperately needed at the bakery shop the day before. "Officer Grace! Over here!" She called to the patrol officer. "It's the whole kitchen of the cafeteria! It's just gone! Fire Chief Benson is already suspecting a gas leak, only I can smell burnt wiring..."

Grace nodded. "Electrical? And without flames?" She asked. After a nod, Grace was on the radio, "I think we may need Drug Enforcement." She keyed the mike and told the dispatcher what Supergirl could smell, which was pretty strong.

Supergirl smiled at Jessica. "Going to have to ask you to stay behind the line, Miss Jessica. I don't think you're invulnerable, and it's for your own safety. Thanks." She was called by the Police Chief, who noticed Jessica and tipped his hat. "Supergirl, that whole back area is unstable. You're the only first responder we have that's quick enough to rescue all those residents before it collapses, nine floors, darlin', go hero. Grace will take over here."

Supergirl zipped off after a salute and smile, causing the chief to shake his head. "Some teenagers." He chuckled. "Especially the girl scouts. She reminds me so much of my adopted daughter. Come to think of it, where DID Kara disappear to, now? I haven't seen hide nor blonde hair of her since just before Supergirl showed up." The Chief was the dad of the currently missing Kara Zorel.

Grace stood near Jessica. "How big is Hawthorn's Bakery, anyway? I think we're going to need a place to send those not injured, just to get them out from underfoot. Break up this crowd some."

Jessica picked up on a very familiar name. Kara. It wasn't all that common and she'd only ever met one. Unfortunately, with everything going on, she couldn't quite hear the rest. Before long she had arrived at the police barrier behind Grace, noticing Supergirl standing there rather than assisting inside the building. Of course she wouldn't question the heroines choice, certain that she had her reasons and probably didn't want to interfere and risk causing any more damage.

The baker overheard the conversation the two women had, listening as Grace informed about the situation. She looked around, seeing the damage already caused and several injured people being assisted already. It really didn't seem like there was much she could do to help, something which became increasingly clear when Supergirl told her to stay behind the line. It was only then that she stopped to really ask herself what she was doing there, what she'd hoped to achieve. She looked down at her hands, her legs. She had gotten dirty. She was covered in dust on the day of her first date with Kara.. How could she be so careless!?

Jessica was about to make her way back when she overheard the police chief mentioning the name Kara. "Kara?" She suddenly asked, a sense of alert in her voice, before realising it couldn't be the same person, recalling the chief's surname and that of the Kara she knew. "I'll let you know if I see a girl by that name." She finished her sentence, hiding her initial reaction.

"Oh well.." Jessica looked over at Grace. "I've already asked some people to take shelter there if necessary until you guys have things under control but truth be told.. I don't think there's enough space. I'll get back and try to make some extra space. It's all I can do.." Her last words trailed off slightly, feeling powerless to help as she made her way back to the bakery where the girls awaited her.

By the time she arrived at the bakery, it seemed like word had spread and it had begun to fill up with those moving away from the explosion. Jessica entered, going towards the counter and standing on a chair behind it, first stopping to thank the girls for their help, asking them to take a small rest too. "Please calm down everyone. The police and Supergirl have it all under control. Please help me stack the tables and chairs and we will give out some more water to those who don't have any yet. Unfortunately there's not enough pastries for everyone but I'll break them up and pass some around too. I'm sure we'll be out of here soon enough." She really hoped they would be. She didn't want to miss her date.

The explosion had been around 1:30. It was now going on five, and Supergirl was beyond filthy. She sighed. The one day she didn't need a crisis like this. Her first date ever. Sure, it was Jessica Hawthorn, and sure those premium tickets that were now with Jessica had cost her about a fourth of her weekly pay... But how could she show up, or rather Kara Kent show up, looking a fright. She'd had gotten everyone out of the back area, and five minutes after removing a mother and daughter and making one final sweep, the section was coming down, with her still in it!

The radio was on at the moment of the collapse, and the media in all it's "wisdom" said Supergirl had been killed in the collapse, until heavy concrete slabs moved away and off each other and a blue sleeved fist punched an opening for the rest of the bedraggled, fussing Supergirl to climb out, covered in concrete dust. A cameraman got a closeup of the heroine dusting herself off, and looking every bit like a grumpy cat. The camera quickly panned away.

Now, as it approached five, and the area was cordoned off, while the investigation began on what caused the explosion, Supergirl was ready to just be done, and go home. Elizabeth looked at the TV pictures of the dirty, dusty, dispirited Supergirl, and then her picture of her friend. She held it to Supergirl and shook her head. "Ugh! It IS her... Kara! Why didn't you tell me?! I'm your best friend! I wonder if Chief Zorel even knows! He does, she's probably soooo grounded!"

Unfortunately, despite all the overwhelming circumstantial evidence screaming Kara Zorel was Supergirl, it would take about a week, but it would soon be proven to be a misidentification.

Beth's picture of her best friend
Screenshot_20220512-142942.png

Things were far from over soon. Although the dust outside did begin so settle a short while after the explosion, ambulances were still heard in the distance, fire trucks along with them. Media coverage was on almost every channel, some even being as crazy as to suggest Supergirl had died after part of the structure collapsed on her, burying her under it. It was hardly the worst situation they had seen her in and, just as expected, after a few moments she came right out of the concrete, fist punching through it before the cameras caught her climbing out, looking anything but happy.

The bakery had been crazy the entire time. Soon enough Jessica had run out of pastries to offer as well as bottles of water, having to opt for refilling jugs of tap water instead to pass around. Some people had gone after the dust settled and some emergency services had stopped by to pick up any wounded and ensure them that it was safe to go home, so long as that wasn't in the direction of the explosion. It was nearing fine by the time that Jessica finally managed to take a seat, next to Elizabeth who she overheard saying something in excitement. Once more, the only word she caught on was Kara. That was the second time she heard the name today from someone. "Ughh.. I'm exhausted. I'm sure you are too. You should probably head home, your mother could be worried." She paused, wondering whether or not to ask. "Say... I think I overheard you say the name Kara? That's actually the name my date tonight. Well, if I make it that is. Given my current state, I'm not sure. I look a mess!" She sighed. "So how do you know Kara Kent?"

Beth shook her head. Laura was back in the back, helping clean up. "I texted mom. I'm gonna help you sweep up first." Her eyes looked puzzled and then she handed Jessica the picture. "The new Daily Planet reporter? I only know her by her byline and the article on you. This is my bestie. The daughter of the police chief. Her name is Kara Zorel. Now look at the TV with Supergirl being interviewed. Imagine all that dirt and stuff all over the face of the girl in the picture." She shook her head. "The resemblance is way too canny!"

Speaking of, Kara's dad walked in. The police chief looked worried. He looked around at the remaining faces and shook his head. Removing his cap, he said, "This is the longest I can recall in a while, that my daughter has pulled this disappearing act. I was hoping she found her way here. What has possessed her to start doing this? It's only been in the last month, probably." He sunk into a chair after pulling it off the table, and sat down. He looked up, seeing the interviewer still talking to Supergirl, who looked like she really wanted to leave, but wasn't going to be rude to the reporter, especially on live TV.

Just before all the interviews started, Jessica had gotten a text. "Hectic day. Lois and I on scene at Luthor Arms near you guys. You probably heard the explosion. I think everyone in Metropolis did. We'll both see you after we wrap up. Looks like I might not make our date and was looking so forward to it. If you can, just give the tickets to someone. Maybe Laura. I'll make this up to you. Promise." Of course, neither Kara Kent or Supergirl, her other identity, could have known that Beth Firestone was now also working for Jessica.

If it wasn't already clear, Jessica realised she really had done well hiring the girl and just how good and dedicated she was. There weren't many teenagers with a heart as good as Elizabeth's. It quickly became clear also that they weren't talking about the same Kara, as Beth proceeded to clarify the issue and show the baker the photo. Though there were some similarities, one could hardly say they were the same person. Sure, they were both blonde and had blue eyes but Supergirl seemed older than Beth's friend. If anything she would have guessed her to be close to the Kara she knew and they clearly weren't the same person.

"Hmm I don't quite think I see it though, sorry." She replied to the girl as the police chief walked in, clearly worried about his daughter. "I'm really sorry to hear sir. She hasn't come around here but I'm sure she's alright. Maybe she just heard the explosion and stayed with a friend or something." She attempted to comfort him though she wasn't sure her reasoning would convince him.

Seeing the time and beginning to wonder if Kara was alright too, Jessica looked at her phone, finding a message from the reporter. As she read it however, her heart sunk a little. Of course she fully understood and didn't blame Kara at all but.. She had looked forward to it so much. It was all she'd been thinking about, looking forward to it. She took a few moments, wondering what she could possibly reply, the words struggling to come to her.

"It's probably for the best, the bakery is crazy too, it's clearing up but still have some people here. Be careful over there.. It looked really bad. I'll be looking forward to seeing you!" She hit send and sighed, taking the tickets out of her bag and walking back over to Beth. "It seems like my date for tonight's been cancelled so here, take these, as a thank you for your help today. You're true great Beth." She gave her a smile, the best she could at least after the date had gotten cancelled. "And before you ask, yes, I'm sure, take them and have fun!"

Beth looked at the tickets in unbelief. "Oh wow, Candy Pop. These..." She looked around at the front of the bakery and checked the time. "Row C is like almost on top of the stage, Miss Jessica, Miss Kent had to have spent a fortune. It's 5:15. Let me sweep here, just in the eating area. I can have it done in ten minutes. I'll fetch the broom." She left her small purse, straps draped over the chair in such a way, someone would almost have to take chair too, to swipe it. It would be unlatched, the flap slightly open for when she had stuck her IDs back in it. A perfect way to sneak the tickets in.

"Jess, that's very selfless of you." Chief Zorel smiled. "I don't know who she could take, beside her mom. Kara wouldn't be able to handle the loud music of a concert. It hurts her ears. Actually, she's that way with any loud noises. I told her to come here, since I usually get my donuts for the precinct here. Crap. Tomorrow's Friday. Will you even have five dozen mixed for me tomorrow with everything that happened today?" He noticed the empty displays. "I mean, you usually have at least a dozen day olds, which most the guys didn't mind. Sixty's a tall order, and with you sending your help to the concert? Could you really get that done in the morning?" Zorel was sounding like a worried father towards Jessica, now.

Supergirl had finally gotten a chance to get away, and if Jessica was quick enough, she would see, Lois frantically waving for a rushing Kara towards Lois's car and almost hear her saying, "Move it, Smallville!" Kara was waving something frantically towards Lois who would walk over to take it, before pointing to the driver's side of the car, and sort of push Kara towards it, before walking around to the passengers side, looking at the paper, Kara handed her, and getting in. All on live TV, just behind the television reporter looking into the camera.

Again, true to her promise, Beth would have the public area swept in about ten minutes, excusing herself around the few still there, including the police chief, getting everything in the long handled dustpan, and dumping it, putting both back in the kitchen, and coming to retrieve both purse and tickets. "What time would you like me to be in tomorrow?" She asked.

Unsurprisingly, now that the excitement and noise was over, Kara Zorel came in. She'd been close enough to get some of the dirt and dust on her, but nothing like most the others already there, including her dad.

The familiar car of Lois's stopped in front of the bakery without a familiar screech. Lois popped out of the passenger's seat. "Show off!" She snarked since Kara had been so much easier on the brakes and tires than she ever had been. "Let's see if we can help Jess, now, get all three of us something to eat, and get this story to bed, all before nine. Perry said he'd only hold the printers for us until then."

"Miss Lane... I said, and this makes the third time..." Kara groaned, slowly getting out.

"I heard you about the concert! I'm sorry, shit like this happens all the time in Metropolis. Get used to it. You're hungry. I'm hungry. Rest assured SHE'S hungry. I also told you, and this is MY third time, we're having a sit down dinner on me. Now, let's try to salvage the date, yes?!" Lois tutted as she looked at Kara as she fully got out of the driver's side. "Cry-manatly, Smallville. You look a fright."

Both were obviously down in the midst of the mess as both were covered with the concrete dust, among other things. The grey of the dust peppering Lois's raven locks and looking like dandruff on the shoulders of her suit. Kara looked just a little bit cleaner... Clothes wise. Her hair seemed straggly and unkempt. Her face was dirty, almost as dirty as Supergirl's had been. There was a telltale smudge of grease or something dark, on the end of her nose. "I hope the dinner place will take us..."

"Don't worry about it, Smallville! They want respectable, not perfect and spotless. Gods, it's Bob Evans! I would think you'd feel right at home there! Y'know? Their catchphrase in those ads IS 'Down on the Farm'. I worry about you. If I hadn't see Supergirl get buried under that hundred tons of concrete, I'd think YOU were the one that got hit on the head by it. Nice shot of the collapse, by the way. Still say you were too dangerously close."

They both came in, looking at Jessica. "Sheesh, Jess!" They both chimed, seeing her not quite as dirty as them, but then, they were at the site longer and were closer than she had been allowed to get.

The baker shook her head slightly with a soft laugh. "Alright, fine, but after that, you head home. You've done more than enough today Beth." Jessica noticed the bag on the chair and moved the chair closer to the counter to keep an eye on it as the police chief began speaking to her. Her smile grew a little warmer as he called her selfless. "She deserves them. She's been an enormous help today and she wasn't even hired yet. She's a real hard worker." She listened on as he mentioned his daughter, Beth's friend. "I'm sure she'll find someone. Everyone wants a ticket to it."

"Five dozen.." She tapped her index finger on her chin, trying to work out how to get it done. "I'll find a way to have it done, don't you worry. You've been helping everyone out after the explosion, I'll put in a little extra effort and have it ready. You don't have to worry about me, you already have the whole city and your daughter to worry about." Jessica gave him a reassuring smile, just as Lois and Kara appeared on the TV, getting into a car.

"Well, after a day like today and since you have the concert tonight, how about you come in just before lunch, that way you can sleep in a little. Laura and I will handle the morning rush, you can step in for her for the afternoon, she's been working really hard too." They'd both been a great help and Jess would have to find a way to make it up to Laura, who she also began telling she should go home. Most people were gone and she'd be able to close up soon and hopefully get cleaned.

Just as both girls left, a car stopped. It was the same car that had been on the TV a few minutes earlier, the same car that usually really put its brakes to the test. This time however it stopped much less abruptly and Lois and Kara soon came out of it, looking quite a mess, much as herself. In fact, they both looked far more dusty than she did, not quite a surprise seeing as they'd been covering the entire thing. What the baker hadn't noticed until then was that the Kara Zorel she'd been hearing so much about had also come in, now reunited with her father. It brought a smile to her face.

For a moment Jessica had forgotten the state she was in. She hadn't even had time to try and clean herself up a little, her hair a complete mess, covered in dust from earlier. A hint of anxiety hit her, not wanting Kara to see her in such a messy state. It was too late however as the pair of reporters walked through the doors, both simultaneously calling her name out, surprised at her state. "Oh.. H-hey. Glad to see you're both safe. Do you want some water? I'd offer something else but.. Tap water is all I have left." She spoke quickly, a little nervous about her appearance.

Lois shook her head. "I guess I shoulda expected this with the commotion, today. You and Kara are still having your date. At Bob Evans. On me. No argument, Jess. Smallville, here, argued enough for both of you. We're going to help you get the place closed up. No one really has time to clean up, we have a nine PM deadline, but I'm still going to try to help you salvage something from your date. She's still driving." Lois said blunt and to the point, which would have been expected from her, with anyone who even remotely familiar with her.

Kara shrugged as the police chief, giving his own daughter a side hug, laughed. "I'm on my way out, then. And Kara may be coming to pick up my order in the morning. I have to go in early tomorrow, at five-thirty, before you even open. Paperwork. You still open an hour later, at 6:30, correct?" He wanted it verified, and pointed to his daughter, for Jessica to tell her the time she opened. They would head out as soon as Jessica verified when she opened to the blonde Kara.

Kara Kent, meanwhile, was showing off her "natural" speed (which was a lot slower than her true speed as Supergirl) proving in a sense, she wasn't fudging about setting a record at Smallville High School regarding the 1000 meter dash, as she put the chairs upside down on their corresponding tables.

Lois shook her head muttering "Show off!" for the second time in five minutes. "What do you need me to do, Jess, to help close you up for the day?"

Last edited:
Although the baker herself had been calling it a date, hearing Lois say it out loud, while Kara was present made it feel much more real and embarrassing, bringing the all-too-common blush to her face. It seemed like the reporter had it all planned out and was even willing to pay for it herself, an unexpected gesture. "You really don't have to Lois-" She started but was quickly cut off as the woman went on to say that Kara had already tried to convince her otherwise. If there's one thing everyone knew about Lois it was that once her mind was made up, there was little to no chance of changing it, leaving the baker to sigh in acceptance.

"Right. Yes. 6:30 on the dot." She quickly replied to the police chief, looking at his daughter and give her a reaffirming nod. By the time the two had left, Kara had seemingly already gotten to work on tidying the place up for closing, most of the chairs already placed on the tables. "Wow, that was fast. You really didn't waste any time." Jess' smile had returned as she spoke to her date.

"Hmm.. Well the truth is, Laura and Beth.. Oh, Beth is my new hire, they were a really big help. The back is all cleaned up and ready for tomorrow. The chairs and tables are back in place, they even broomed. I guess the windows could use a clean but that will have to wait until I can have someone come and do it tomorrow. I would just need to mop before we leave. Hopefully there's not much dust in the air and the floor will stay clean. I managed to clean the displays up when they emptied and cover them up to avoid any dust inside." She thought about it for a moment, her lips pursed together and to the side." Yup, that's all really." She moved to lock the front door as the last couple of people left and grabbed the mop, starting off right away. "We can leave out the back, won't have to wait for it to dry that way." She finished mopping, gathering her things and opening the back door. "After you ladies."

With everything else that had happened, and thanks to Beth, Jessica would have a rough idea on the cost of the concert tickets ($100 each, which to a starting reporter getting $800 a week? Yes, Kara spent a fortune), so why would she and Kara be surprised at Lois's gesture to buy them dinner? She could be cold, but she wasn't heartless, especially to their situation.

Be that as it may, Lois smacked Kara in the back of the head, sending concrete dust flying, and again shaking her stinging hand, making her open the back passenger door for Jessica to get in. Lois tutted while getting in the front passenger door, getting seated and buckling up.

Once Kara was in and buckled up in the driver's seat, Lois gave precise directions to the Bob Evans that was just off the interstate. Although it looked just like any other of their franchises, Kara was actually impressed.

For it being the dinner rush, the restaurant was almost empty. The trio was seated right away, and after getting herself a coffee and pulling out her laptop, and both hers and Kara's notes, Lois commented, "You ladies order whatever you want. Don't worry about it. Smallville, not a word unless it's to Jessica about her. I'll get the story written." She stuck a pencil in her mouth and started typing. Soon, it seemed Lois was in her own little world, typing the days events at at least a word a second.

Kara smiled at Jessica. "We both look a mess." Looking in her blue-green eyes, she said, "Wish I knew Candy Pop personally, I'd plead with her to get a danish from you before she left Metropolis... I'm kinda interested in who your new hire is, this Beth. You got a little something right..." She looked down slightly, wetting her napkin and caressed a cheek, actually smearing some of the dust. Of course she had the tell tale inky Supergirl smear on the tip of her nose, that somehow on Kara, looked bigger than Supergirl's was during the interview. Lois smirked, hoping Jessica pointed out Kara's face was a hellova lot worse off than the baker's.

Kara would probably be sorry later for ordering a soda to drink with dinner... Especially a root beer, but she was going to be the one that would have to live with her steel stomach and any indigestion later. She wasn't THAT invulnerable.

The waitress had given them plenty of time, a good ten minutes, and was back for their orders.

"Pork chops, mashed potatoes and corn. Gravy on the pork chops and potatoes." Lois said, handing the menu back.

After a few more seconds, Kara handed the menu over and said, "Chicken, leg and thigh, fries... Slaw, I guess?"

"Drinking root beer and all that grease. Don't cry later about your stomach." Lois huffed, unable to ignore THAT order. Pencil was soon back in mouth and the clacking of the keyboard heard, and once again, Kara and her date were being ignored.

As they circled around, back to the front of the store, Jessica was still finding it hard to believe everything that had happened. She certainly hadn't expected the day to be so crazy when she'd woken up, all she wanted was to get right through it, onto her date. Of course, there she was, on her way to a date with Kara... And their chapharone it seemed. It was just as said chapharone seemed to slap Kara on the back of the head that the baker chuckled a little, a small "thank you" directed at the two as she entered the car.

The drive felt fairly short and quite safe with Kara at the wheel. Jessica had seen Lois driving and it was certainly not gentle to say the least. The restaurant looked fairly empty as they approached, soon confirming it as they entered. Within moments of arrival, the three were seated. What did come as a real surprise however was the fact that Lois sat with the pair, immediately getting to work on her article. Even though she was paying and they used her car, Jessica had thought she would be sitting at a different table, instead, she had joined the two for dinner, asking them to pretend she wasn't there.

It certainly wasn't an ordinary date but she wasn't going to complain, she was just happy to see Kara again. The cute baker returned a somewhat shy smile, chuckling. "We do." She couldn't help but stare, maybe a little too much, at the woman opposite her. Jessica could hardly believe it was happening. She was absout to start telling Kara about Beth when her date leaned over with a wettened napkin, caressing her cheek with it. The baker blushed shyly, almost so shyly in fact that she could have missed out on the opportunity to tease her right back. Fortunately she didn't, taking her own and doing the same to Kara's, not before making a little comment. "I think you're worse off than I am though. You've got a little something here... And just about everywhere else." She chuckled, biting her lower lip lightly.

As Lois made her order, the baker was almost convinced to go with it, not quite sure herself in what to get. It wasn't until Kara's order that she made her mind up." Oh, I'll have the chicken too. That sounds nice. No slaw for me though, I'm not a big fan."

"So, about Beth, yeah, she's a good kid. She's been wanting to help me out for quite a while now and, since a certain article was published, I could really use the help. It's been so crazy the last few days. You should Umm.. Pop in more often." She did try to be subtle but it was clearly not her strongest quality.

"Also.. How do you know Supergirl? How did you get her to come and deliver me her message from you? It's incredible!"

Lois had overheard Jessica ordering the chicken and fries as well, and wasn't going to say anything. Water or coffee, even milk or juice wouldn't interact with the grease like carbonation would. That was just asking for it, which Kara was. Supergirl or not (which at this stage since the interview hadn't happened yet, Lois didn't know), Kara was going to pay later.

The waitress explained it came with two sides and named some of the others. Corn, baked beans, green beans, peas, small garden salad were all choices that poured from her mouth.

Even Lois had to think for a minute. The slaw was probably the only smart choice Kara had made with her order. Peas. Corn. Baked beans. Salad. One of those would help Jessica. She was tapping her pencil against her cheek, trying to help Jessica's order, but that thinking pose looked right at home on Lois Lane anyway when she was in the middle of writing an article.

Kara shrugged and looked at Jessica with a smile. "I think the salad or the peas would work if not the slaw. You could always ask for the salad dry (no dressing)." She suggested.

Lois, pencil back in mouth, was typing away again with a broad smile. "Good girl, Smallville, you're the one on the date, not I." she thought.

Jessica took a moment to think about it. In truth, she was quite used to eating salads and other greens while at home so she was just happy to indulge on something more unhealthy for once since she was out to dinner. However, since the meal did come with two sides, it would be a waste to get just one. Not only that but she now also had Kara's suggestion to go on. She could have also sworn Lois had been about to say something but that was hard to tell as she simply seemed lost in thought.

"Hmmm." She pondered on it for a moment longer before finally making her choice. "I guess I'll go with the salad then." She smiled at the waitress upon completing her order before turning back to Kara. It felt rude not to talk to Lois also since she was sitting right by the pair but she didn't quite want to risk bothering her while she thought about the article either.

"It's my first time out to dinner in a really long time actually. Mum and I usually make dinner most of the time or very occasionally order out. Thanks for bringing me out." She gave the cub reporter a warm smile, even though it was technically Lois who had brought them both out. "I'm glad I got to see you today."

Kara smiled with a blush. "Welcome. We almost didn't get even this chance since there was no way to make the concert by seven. I mean look at us. Well, especially me." She giggled. As she listened about Beth, and how much the girl wanted to be there. She had to raise an eyebrow at the attempt to incorporate the pop singer's last name into the equation. It still brought a smile although it seemed forced and she wasn't going to risk both Jessica and Lois throwing water in her face for pointing that out, since that's what stereotypically always happens to the idiot guy who would. She was already proving herself to be the stereotypical dumb brunette. "I don't know if it's truly funny or not about how... But a few days after she came into town...." She shook her head, and leaned in. "I'd tell it without whispering if Lois wasn't here. See, the day she fell out the open window? I was one of the dummies that came and gawped when she was caught. Right out of a movie. I don't know what Supergirl said, probably something about getting Lois, cause as she came back up to the window, Lois snarked, 'You got me?! Who's got you?!' I said hi, Supergirl said hi. Well, she said hi to all of us. Lois writes the article, and suddenly we're all calling her Supergirl." She drank some of her root beer and without realizing it, clasped her hands over Jessica's. Back to normal inside voice, Kara continued, "Anyway, I guess it was a week later and I run into her and she and I started talking about Lois's articles about her. I told her I'd try to convince Lois to keep it low key, and she said if I managed that she'd owe me." She shrugged, "If you were following her exploits in the paper, you noticed it did kinda slack off a little, so I kept my end. I decided to cash in on the favor with getting you the tickets via Supergirl, because I figured you'd like to meet her." She drank some more root beer, and excused herself after a very farm like, yet feminine burp that even caused Lois to look over.

"As Perry would say.... Great Caesar's Ghost, Kent! Well, at least you said pardon me, but really." Lois said shaking her head. She soon returned to typing.

Kara smiled, "Believe me after what happened at Luthor Arms.... I'm glad to be seen today. Even I know what fried electrical smell without flames means.... Ouch!"

Lois looked over. "I'll step on your other foot you say one more thing about it. That's not proven yet. Contrary to a lot of other papers and media sources, the Daily Planet reports facts only. Not opinions. As much as I'd like to mention it myself, I won't. It's. Not. Proven. Is that understood, Smallville?"

With a sigh, Kara nodded. "Yes, Miss Lane."

"Good." Back to typing and ignoring.

Kara looked blushing at her date, biting her lower lip. "She used her heel." Of course she was not really hurt, but put on such a good show, Jessica would believe that it definitely smarted. Of course if she ever had gotten that righteous punishment herself... She'd know it definitely smarted.

Shortly, the dinners came, and a coffee and root beer refill, as well as whatever Jessica had gotten to drink, and their server left them in peace to enjoy their meals.

Kara had to finally ask. "So, were you able to give the tickets to someone deserving?" She had only let go of Jessica's hands when the dinners came.

Lois appeared to be on ignore mode, as they ate, so Kara and Jessica could get better acquainted.

Jessica couldn't help but match her as she leaned in, the conversation turning into a whisper as she began to explain exactly how she'd met Supergirl. The baker couldn't help but notice that Kara looked even prettier up close, even with her dust covered face, her eyes were enough to make Jess' heat skip a beat. As she listened, her eyes moved from Kara's eyes to her lips, watching as they moved, blushing slightly as she wondered what it would be like to kiss her.

The baker was almost getting lost in her own thoughts when her date brought her back down from the clouds, Jess feeling her hands being covered by the reporter's. As it happened, her tone also returned to normal as she described the rest of the story and how it was thanks to Kara herself that the stories about Supergirl had slacked off a little as of late. What followed the story was a far less elegant sound that caught the baker by surprise, not expecting it from Kara, but instead chuckling a little as Lois quickly stepped in to tell the girl off.

"Wow. So.. You met her, you actually helped her and managed to get her to come to my bakery and for me to meet her? I swear Kara Kent you're almost like a walking miracle worker." She smiled, complimenting her date before she and Lois had a brief exchange about the importance of contrasting information and not basing things on heresay.. Though not before Lois had seemingly stepped on the cub reporter. Jessica had to admit, it was always entertaining to see the exchanges between the two women, there never seemed to be a dull moment.

Soon enough dinner had arrived along with their drinks including some water for Jessica. It was only then that Kara had released her hands and Jess very slowly retracted hers, a very faint shade of pink colouring her dusty cheeks. "Well, I gave them to Beth actually. She was such a big help today, before she even officially started working for me.. She deserves them. I would have liked to go with you though, I've never actually been to a concert. We'll have to try a different sometime... If you'd like?" Her eyes looked towards Kara expectantly, hoping for a positive answer.

While speaking, Jess had also taken a look at the food. It looked as delicious as it sounded when they'd ordered it and it smelt wonderful. "Mmm... Enjoy. It smells really nice. Oh, and I never actually thanked you properly. Thank you Kara. Thank you for the article.. You really.. Well, it's amazing how many people came in after publishing it.

Kara blushed as she was thanked for the article. A quick glance at the time caused her to sigh longingly. Right at seven o'clock. She hoped this Beth had someone to take, and they were enjoying the concert which was just starting. After her wistful glance to the clock, her eyes returned to Jessica and what she had said. Her response, "I can only try. I mean, I have to think of rent, utes, insurance and phone bill and all. I couldn't believe I couldn't even rent anything in Metropolis without getting renter's insurance, and Ma Kent signed over my life insurance she got for me when I was adopted, 'because I have a job, and an adult, and I need to learn responsibility." She sighed. "I splurged this time." She looked across to Jessica. "Okay, besides modern dance light rock, what do you like? I mean, I was just guessing you might want to go with me. I can watch for what comes."

"Bunch of old timers are coming in next week. Your parents, Martha and Jonathan would probably be interested. Remembering the 70s, it's called. ABBA is headlining that. A whole weekend and not one night only like Candy Pop's is." Lois offered. "Something to think about."

Kara looked at Jessica and shrugged, she couldn't speak for her, but Kara DID grow up on her parents' music with a bit of more recent thrown in, to keep the girl up to date on the latest music trends in popular light rock.

Kara did mention that as she was listening to Jessica talk about her humble beginnings, she couldn't help but compare her to the women in her life around her age. Since that was Lois, Cat Grant and Supergirl, and Jessica's demeanor and kindness were on par with the selfless heroine... She trailed off and shrugged her shoulders.

Lois nodded, "That's why I said what I did, Jess. I'm still P.Oed at you, Smallville; you went over my head, but even I had to agree changing it really wouldn't have done Jessica justice." As the waitress came over to check on them, Lois said, "Who wants dessert... Besides, Smallville."

Kara blushed and put her hand down as Lois asked for a third cup of coffee and a slice of key lime pie.

Kara thought about it and said finally, "Have you got an orange cream? You mentioned chocolate, banana, lemon and coconut..." She glanced at Jessica as Kara's first danish had been the orange cream cheese one.

"I think we have one slice left, yes. That's not exactly a big seller, but we do manage to sell all eight pieces of it a day." The waitress said. All three ladies turned their attention to Jessica to see if she wanted dessert. If she asked Lois if she could get something for her mom, she'd get, "If you also get a dessert for yourself, Jess, even if it's to go. I know from the article what your mom means to you." She'd state.

The sigh didn't go unnoticed as Jessica noticed the time too. They should have been at the concert together right about then, about to enjoy an evening of music and fun, instead they were there, in the restaurant. Of course it was by no means anything bad, just not what the two had planned, they certainly hadn't planned being chapharoned by Lois. Jessica couldn't help but get a little embarrassed as Kara seemed to believe she'd wanted her to get the tickets again. The baker shook her head. "Oh.. No, no. Next time it's my turn to get the tickets. You've already made two girls very happy with these!" She quickly interjected, clarifying the matter.

"Hmm, I'll be honest, though I do like a bit of everything out there, 90's rock is usually my go-to music. Not sure if that would be something you like?" Sbe asked curiously. I wouldn't necessarily be opposed to going to that Old Timers concert either. I may not be a die-hard ABBA fan but who doesn't enjoy their music, right?" Her eyes looked towards Kara after nodding towards Lois, thanking her for the suggestion, a wide smile on her face.

"You two are too kind." The baker finally said. "I'm just a baker, just one of many. I'm sure there are many better than me.. You helped me with the article, Supergirl even came in! Now I'm getting treated to dinner after the unfortunate event of the explosion.. Truly, you girls are too kind." She finally let it out along with a shy look as she did.

As the question of dessert came, Jessica wondered. Lost in thought, she almost missed Kara's glance. The baker truly wished she could have surprised her with one of her own danishes but there were none left to sneak out before they'd left the bakery. "Hmm.. I can't say I want any cakes or pastries, not after a day at the bakery like today." She giggled softly. "If you have any, I'll take two scoops of chocolate ice cream and some water please. If not, just the water will do, thank you!"

Once the waitress left, Jessica looked over towards Kara. "I haven't forgotten your special order either. It's almost ready for you. I just need to make some adjustments..."

Kara nodded. "Ma and Pa probably should have been grandparents by now, but they didn't have kids til they adopted me. I grew up on stuff that's now fifty to sixty years old. What they listened to when they were kids. They introduced me to the other decades, but I don't think I heard anything younger than 2005 until I got out here. Then I was introduced to Selena, JLo, Pink, Demi Lovato and all. I actually am with you, mainly because of how I was brought up... 80s and 90s, some of the newer stuff if I can understand what they're saying... Or rather singing." She began shaking her head. "Anything but rap... Ugh, the hate. The disrespect towards women. The language." She shivered. "Two months is two months too long."

"Me too, Smallville. If you can't say something without spewing 50 foul words, I don't want to listen to you. I probably don't even get to the hate if there's any in it, because I can't get past foul this and screw that." Lois chimed in.

The waitress brought the desserts and check, and Lois said something quietly to her and her head momentarily moved Jessica's direction. After the waitress nodded and left, Lois began eating her slice of pie. Jessica would have two pretty large scoops of chocolate ice cream, and Kara a slice of orange cream pie with a little candy orange slice on top of the whipped cream topping. Lois looked at Kara. "Go ahead and say it, Smallville, before I do. You look like you want to."

Kara nodded before taking the candy slice off her pie and setting it on Jessica's bowl of ice cream. "You're special to me, and Lois loves your cinnamon rolls."

"Mostly for them being the 'size of Texas'. The mayor wasn't kidding, and neither was the word of mouth saying yours are the best pastries in town." Lois added. "It was the least I could do, although it was the circumstances that ruined your first concert together. I didn't get a good look at them, but the cheapest was $40. Kara doesn't strike me as the cheapskate type."

Kara blushed and shook her head. "The thing is, I thought you deserved it, especially as you recited how the bakery started and all. Of course, that was going in, no matter what. Maybe, leaving the story as is was good, but maybe I should have done my attention grabbing headline regarding the humble beginnings."

Once again, it seemed, it was time to go. Sure, they still had the car ride to drop Jessica off at her place, but somehow Kara had to be melodramatic. Clasping Jessica's hands, she said, "Parting is such sweet sorrow, that I shall say good night till it be morrow. My necessaries are embark'd: farewell. Adieu! I have too grieved a heart to take a tedious leave."

"Oh brother..." Lois groaned with a smirk. "I'll meet you two at the car, Juliet, try not to swoon, okay?" She arose to pay the bill.

Kara's taste in music made a lot of sense. The younger music as she called it wasn't Jessica's favourite necessarily either, though she did enjoy most music, irrelevant to its era. Both Lois and Kara seemed to have a strong dislike towards rap music. She wasn't a big fan herself, it didn't quite speak to her and, she had to agree the disrespect was quite off-putting, but she didn't necessarily share a dislike for it as much as the pair did. She nodded, "It seems like we do sort of like the same music then." She wore a bright smile, clearly happy to learn something about Kara and share something in common with her.

The desserts soon arrived, all three very generous servings, including her two large scoops of chocolate ice-cream. Of course the two sitting with her didn't know it but chocolate ice-cream was her guilty pleasure. It was the perfect remedy for a rainy day, for a bad day, it was great to accompany a good day, to enhance a wonderful meal like they'd just had.. But perhaps she was a little biased. A deep red blush quickly coloured Jessica's face as Kara said she was special to her, topping her ice-cream with part of her own dessert.

Eyes shyly looking up at Kara's own, Jessica replied softly. "You're... Special to me too." She paused, feeling her heart speeding up, breathing to calm down and then looking at Lois. "You'll have one on the house if you come back tomorrow!" Jessica was truly thankful that they both seemed to appreciate her as they did. She didn't quite see herself as they seemed to, in fact, to her, it was both of them who deserved her thanks and admiration. It felt nice however to be valued. "The article was perfect as it was. More than I could have asked or even dreamed of. I intend to frame it actually, I never want to forget it, especially not since it's the first time we really met." She looked at Kara as she said the last words.

Jessica couldn't help but giggle as Kara said her melodramatic goodbye, their hands clasped together as the baker listened. Lois left them alone for a moment, their first moment truly alone. Jessica couldn't help herself, leaning in to kiss her date on the cheek. "I do hope I'll get to see you soon though? Maybe you can come over to the bakery for lunch tomorrow? If you're not too busy?" It wouldn't be the nicest date perhaps but it would mean seeing her again.

As they were about to leave, Jessica turned as she heard the waitress behind her. It seemed like the surprises weren't quite over yet as she received an entire chocolate cream pie readied in a takeaway bag for her to take home. She did try to tell Lois she couldn't possibly accept it but the reporter was not taking no for an answer. After a thousand thank you and a short drive, they soon dropped her off. "I really did have a nice time tonight. Thank you both so much. I truly feel lucky to have met you."

Once home the baker surprised her mother with Lois' gift to them though she only tasted a small piece herself, already stuffed from dinner. Jessica went to bed earlier than usual, aware she would have to wake up early in order to fulfill the chief of police's order. She also wanted to have the danish ready before lunch, in case Kara came in. All in all, she only slept between 3-4 hours, getting up at 2am and making her way to the bakery after a shower.

Seeing as her stocks were fully depleted the previous day, Jessica would have to start from scratch. Fortunately she had a drinks order arriving before opening so she would be able to offer drinks other than water. The baking however was all up to her. She got to work and prepared the order for the chief of police before anything else, ensuring that was ready for the other Kara to collect. It took hours of work and a mental toll on her but fortunately, as opening hour came, she was done, a tired look on her face but her smile bright as ever.

Back
Top Bottom