Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Hell came to Fogtown (and then left) [interest check, Ex vs WoD]

RSGAlex

Super-Earth
The revised version of Exalted vs World of Darkness has been out a bit, I want to try getting back into the swing of running with something new due to stuff that happened IRL, and well, I got frustrated with the loss of similar elsewhere due to.... I'm not sure, but something happened and a lot of work was lost. So, first the pitch:

Friday, June 25th, 1999. Collinswood, About 13:47 - Two days after Hell came to the growing town of Collinswood, things had stabilized. What started with fifteen yard high wall of brackish, grey flames utterly encircled Collinswood and the sky breaking open, revealing a Starless purple sky dominated by a rotting red eye, had mostly quieted to a dull roar. Each morning, the man-like demon in a suit, rode around on a storm and proclaimed the arrival of Hell's forces to anyone outside, at first for over an hour before leaving, but for successively less time each day after. As always, right after that moment, it seemed like there was at least two demons for every person, dog, cat, and skink in Collinswood, flooding out of the their crevasses. Without the red eye was hanging in the sky most of the demon forces were being unstable. Not so many that they didn't wreck all the mortal systems of resistance and stability on day one, but enough that the supernatural inhabitants managed to last though that first night and bus in some more people. Getting in, it turned out, was dangerous, but quite easy compared to getting out.

In the hastily prepared bunker/command center, your group of second stringers, linear mages, ghouls, and mortal servants, got sent after the over the top, flashy distraction that was the demon in a suit on the principle that even if the glowing, hell powered kidnapper was a total decoy, letting him go with absolutely no check or chase was definitely a license for disaster down the road. The marching orders, as it were, had a bit of a fatalistic hint to them; if nobody came back that one was less distraction and more something worth investigating, but even that hint only came out indirectly. Something like "you can do him in if he tries." Well, probably something like that, anyway. It has taken several days to corner the infernal being before a great pair of black iron doors deep in the spirit world.

The storm he took his captive on was quite fast, but the horrific glowing trail of magic it left there was easy to follow. Technically dangerous too, as it burned what it touched, but that was far less of an issue in the strange places of the spirit world that you were following through.

It took several seconds to establish two things. One, the doors had a horrible spiritual gravity to them and nobody could leave their presence. This leads to point two, after a few back and forth moments it became clear just how the monster played with you. Then the first of the changes happened, the breath of Heaven and the remit of ancient gods flowed into each of you, and actual gain was made.

Then another and another, and then before those changes could completely turn the tide, it stopped being a man in a suit and became Morgoth, deadly foe of the world. The fight ended inconclusively as a massive wave of atomic flames, ripped souls, and divine ephemera came screaming across space to be channeled by the odd bone wand that the monster had. The wand and the storm rent the great doors with a scream and sound like the world had never heard. When everyone recovered their senses, the monster was fleeing inside.

What you found inside, was a large room that looked a bit like club or luxury seating, though with perhaps more self-satisfied paintings and fountains of blood than popular culture leads you to believe are normal. The kidnappee, the demon, neither are there, though the stacked plates and half-eaten meal suggest somebody living was in here recently. The view outside is bad, just an impossible cloud of darkness, and there's not a usable exit to be seen. Yes, there's a door, but it's not even big enough to put a finger through. It is growing though. Really, really slowly, but wasn't too much to do but explore and examine.

The observation deck is quite large, several miles in every direction but up. There's little disks of the best chocolate possible, in a bowl. A kitchen that's never empty but not near full. And there's some kind of consciousness in the blood fountain, though it can't quite communicate.

You did manage to find out that the power within you helped the iron gates grow again. At an estimate, it was probably three months trapped in a great room with an empathic fountain of blood before you all managed to return to the real world. There nine months had passed, but more importantly, everything was different.

Hell never came to Collinswood. In fact, Collinswood is in a different place than you remember it, though your life and history seem to have lead you here anyway. Nobody remembers you being missing for three months. At worst, you had some very different orders during the so-called Week of Nightmares that lead to a little extra time lost there and perhaps a little accident a few days ago that's time lost there. Otherwise, everyone you knew can give at least a passing summary of what supposedly you did during the whole nine months and it rings true, at least for how you were.

There's a few mysteries to sort out, but at least you have a starting point for one of them. The forces of hell didn't come from nowhere, and you've at least some memories of a few hotspots and suspected mortal (and immortal) catspaws. So at least you have one easy thing between trying to figure out what's going on with time, why the difference in memories is so great, and where the forces of hell are at now.

And here a few quick system related things that I suspect will be asked if this gets any attention. My expectation is core exalt types (meaning non-appendix), and just fielding potential asks for some kinds of night folk. The night folk will be a bit under review mostly due to either restrictions on their activity or not having the best grasp on mechanics for them as PCs.

Last edited:
I shall.return once I've familiarized myself with exalted vs WoD. I was unaware that was a thing, though I've played most editions of both.

I shall.return once I've familiarized myself with exalted vs WoD. I was unaware that was a thing, though I've played most editions of both.

If you (or anyone else) wants a link to the proper version of the fan work.

And there's a few sheet options in the Exalted section here.

I love Mr. Gone. Their efforts to give us interactive sheets has been both enduring and appreciated. I used to play a ton of Chronicles and those sheets were a life saver.

I looked it up prior and found the site when I first replied. It's exactly what it sounds like, but I'm kind of sad I can't be a Liminal since they aren't core. I feel like Exalted would do well in play by post if you could simplify the rolls.

I'll probably play Sidereal or Abyssal, if that's fine. Solar's are no joke either, but I enjoy the cosmic aspect of the Sidereals and the Abyssals are tragic, and that's my shit.

Yeah, those are fine. Alchemicals were off because I couldn't find a good way to square a metaphysical circle that I'm pretty sure would come up in solving one of the questions that I posed as being important and Liminals I only groked recently and still feel like I'm bouncing off them. Kinda like why if I did a full oWoD thing instead of this, I'd have moved Changelings off the table for like Mummies or something.

If you have some idea of what supernatural scenes (if any) your character was involved in or by, I can put some more detail down for how it was in the past.

Also, some stuff made me realize that I forgot to put this up, which I had saved (ish) but didn't post. So here's some mundanities about Collinswood.

Depending on when you care to believe, as Mr. Stewart never really talked about it until he was old and senile and Mr. Collins was brought in after some indeterminate amount of time, Collinswood was founded at some point in the late 50s or 60s. It's very technically a timber town, as it existed due to some split in the Stewart family and continues to exist due to the second generations of the Collins and Stewart families who now both are getting money from the Stewart Forestry and Timber company. Indeed, the current two expansion plans both have degrees of being subsidized by the company's payouts.

Which is funny because the place itself couldn't really support a cottage industry in wood related industries.

At last census, Collinswood was heading towards 50k people; the added population from the two big construction projects, a university and a business plaza, are projected to add about 3k people very quickly, if all the plans go right. The university is less complete overall, but has been operating in some small classes (mostly business and arts) for a year and a half now. The business plaza, though also open, hasn't had anyone move in until just a few months ago. It's a solar power business.

The two current major job sectors of the city are the strip that caters to people coming through and the farming section that is legally part of Collinswood but socially is more distant. Two different travel companies have started routing busses though here and reportedly are both offering the Usher family hotel incentives to expand and allow the busses to berth there. It's unclear which offer has been taken, but the construction of a second hotel just beyond the bounds of Collinswood says that both want to be here in a fairly large way.

The city government is the Mayor T. Clarkson and a council consisting of the two eldest Stewart children, the only Collins son, and whoever manages to win the fourth seat, which is the only really competitive one. J. Seward is not expected to run again, and so there's been a small scramble by hopefuls.

To join, give me a character or idea to judge (and feel free to talk with the others in here to plan together some if you want). I'll start there.

As for the help part, it's mentioned mostly for if you wanted to tie yourself to the vampires or mages as they (in terms of local or 'local' groups) made the most successful calls for help. The vampires because both Sabbat and Cam were heading towards a dustup and had been slowly bussing in ghouls, blood dolls, and the occasional neonate; one last bus managed to run through. There weren't many survivors, but any was a good thing when hell was busting in.

The few mages ate paradox and managed to teleport some help in. Paradox today was worth not being eaten by demons tomorrow, or so the thought went. The Technocrats even managed to pull in a few HIT Marks, though Paradox started eating them up as much as the demons did. The not needing to feed on blood part did help give their help more impact.

There's not, strictly speaking, a local sept or group of kinfolk. Both are fairly off the beaten path. For the first few days, the werewolves were fighting in the Umbra, but it got bad enough that they started fighting in the real world in Crinos forms. The PCs would have been absent for that, but could potentially know since some of it would have started before heading off into the spirit world to do the chase. Any help they could call for probably arrived outside the bounds of the attack as far as the first timeline went.

The local Wraiths were too new to really help out, and couldn't bring in better aid until also after the breaching of those gates.

And just in case I forgot to put in the reasons why your characters were selected for that chase, if you were connected to the Vampires or Werewolves, you probably got volunteered. Ghouls had less importance given to them, and if you were knowledgable but non-kinfolk you were definitely offered up first for this non-vital act. It would be similar for other groups, but they had less numbers (and if you were a pact maker for a demon, they definitely wanted these others very gone for then unexplained reasons.) Otherwise, the brain types got together and determined that you would be luckiest on this errand and you got volunteered.

neat! Okay, here's one!

I'd like to play an exalt who's tied to the Tradition mages. If I take the appropriate background or merit, may I have a mage sidekick and generally also play her?

I noticed the 3 point merit, "supernatural Companion" mentioned!

I made an alchemical for another game recently. Maybe this time I'll look at a solar.

At the moment, I'm pretty given to giving a bit more control of allied NPCs to the players, especially during high tension situations. Also thinking of taking Hedge Magic? Because I have lots of words about that (to modify) if you want some basal numbers ideas on how to get use out of the mid-ranger that it is.

There's not an official one, and the sold community one isn't the best done IMO. I was more mentioning it because, one, the bad editing means that there's a few things that I'd want to clarify, and two, I have lots of words about it I want to update from the original Ex vs WoD and was shopping for an excuse to do so. It's a fair amount of words and changes, after all.

So, Paradox has two sets of fan work guidelines for their White Wolf stuff, and the one we're talking about here is the Storytellers Vault set. It's a bunch of guidelines and restrictions on how to format and sell your fan work, as well as guidelines and restrictions on what you can make to sell. So you can't make World of Darkness: Derry, or Cyberpunk Werewolf, or Aberrant: Anything because they're against the guidelines for various reasons (and the first two are actual examples, more or less).

So there's a Storytellers Vault Sorcerer work, but it's essentially fan work.

I don't think so, but I'm me. I'm also available for help and aid of most kinds.

EDIT/Addition: Since I said that gen should begin, first feel free to shoot me a message or such to answer any questions. I'll provide a discord if wanted/needed for faster feedback. Also, I'll put up some extra stuff I made/did and some explainations.

First, for hedge magic. If a path asks for a non-standard skill to roll with, choose Occult, Science, or Technology (Weather Control still uses Manipulation+WP) depending on the style/path your character uses. Alchemy (and any Enchanting ritual that ends up needing multiple successes) counts the three successes for full, lasting potency as difficulty. So you can just drop 5 essence and bring it down to a simple success needed. Mana Manipulation isn't completely worthless, but you'd generally get better out of suggesting a custom charm for your own type. Psychic Paths that use Something+Meditation are just WP rolls in the vein of Shih Bridges.

I'm also going to put some relevant homebrew I did elsewhere up here, or in a new post if other comment before I can find the actual details of them all. But for now, here's the cliff notes versions of each:

Imaginary Spell Mastery : Do a mock ritual/effect for a path to extend an Excellency use over the whole of the next qualifying ritual or effect of that path that you do. If you use actually expensive sacrificial foci/tools (or real expensive reusable ones) you can essentially hang the rituals and focus needed for the next effect of that path, in addition to the chance to extend an Excellency. Just concentrate for the proper amount of time and mentally fold Essence into the needed metaphysical shapes. Some old sources call it Liminal Number Mastery.

Iron Circle Countermagic : Learning this allows you to perform Countermagic (as an Exalt) for others. More usefully, it also lets you shape Essence into a grey ring, and protect anyone inside that ring with your Countermagic for as long as you keep chanting and a little after. If learned from a Terrestrial, or at least their books, the teacher would note that it can protect against some demonic powers that such spell work normally doesn't.

Three Diamond Unweaving Method: Learning this lets you perform unweaving on standing spells, with appropriate substitutions. It also lets you unmake things that are not spells, like wonders, fetishes, and so on, but that requires more knowledge and skill than a spell would.

Break the Stone (1 Dot Full Moon Caste Charm) : Lets you block lethal damage like bullets with your hands (or feet, or what have you) and also slowly break down any structure or object.

Fist of Iron (2 Dot Dawn Caste Charm) : Lets you choose two of three combat effects, key among them blocking lethal with your bare hands and feet. Spend one Ess, get the remaining effect, and choose one to be boosted for the scene.

Blade of the Fist Bier (3/4 Dot Endings Charm) : Do lethal with hands and feet, hands and feet are near imperishable (so block what you want), and blessing to gain an immobilize lesser creatures of darkness trick. I need to find my notes to say anything else.

Last edited:
Let me start this by saying that I do have a discord and just reach out on site if you want to get it for faster answers. I'm being slow here due to other things, and so if you want sooner, you can hopefully get sooner.

That said, first up are the full text versions of the summaries above, in spoilers because they're pretty wordy and I don't feel like making for quite that much scrolling on this one post.

Imaginary Spell Mastery
Positively modern by the standards of the ancient spell lore of the Dragon Blooded, this ritual is likely to see a number of new variations adapt to the styles of magical orders that aren't the Children of Osiris or Cult of Isis as Chosen with other styles find their ways towards this bit of knowledge. Its main purpose is to more easily extend the full power of the Chosen's charms to a given bit of Hedge lore. Indeed, some of the oldest sources call it Liminal Number Mastery, a sign that while it is most common to those styles, it was made for use by others too. Or perhaps just 'rediscovered' many times over.

In the common function, the Exalt spends a number of points of Essence equal to the rating of the desired path effect to be empowered, and rolls Stamina+Occult at a difficulty of the path rating plus two performing an instance of hedge casting in near effigy with paper instruments and faked speeches. Success allows the Exalt to activate an Excellency as part of starting the next effect of that path with the intended rating and extends that Excellency through the whole of the casting regardless of the amount of time it takes.

There is a less used function of the spell with greater requirement. At least three more points of Essence than the rating of the path effect to be modified need to be spent. The ritual is performed with more costly, perhaps even usable, instrument effigies than the paper effigies of the common use of the spell. This allows for the hedge effect to not only be cast under the auspices of an Excellency regardless of time, but also without the normal tools or rites that the hedge magic calls for. Just an appropriate amount of concentration, folding hung essence into the proper completion shapes.

The rarity of this function comes mostly from the expense and time needed to make appropriate effigies, usually Resources 2 for a lower rated effect, and 3 for higher ones. It's possible to make reusable focus-effigies, but those tend to be very costly incorporating nephrites, silver, and diamonds. Also, the hung effect can be countered instead of the spell, which is the main reason to spend more than the minimum amount of Essence for the effects. Each one is an additional success for linear counters and an additional Quintessence to be spent for dynamic ones.

Regardless of the function used, Imaginary Spell Mastery takes a single unit of time as the kind of effect or ritual to be enhanced counts things. If it takes five hours or one hour or ten hours to produce an effect of the chosen level, Imaginary Spell Mastery takes An Hour. A days long ritual takes a day for Imaginary Spell Mastery, and so for similar compressions.

Cobbled together from several bits of defensive magical lore in antiquity, just learning this Ancient Spell allows the Exalt to chant in dead or dying languages and make large occultic gestures to perform countermagic on behalf of another person they can see. Unless the enemy spell caster is very focused on one target, this is a bit of a waste and so most instead spend a point of Essence when starting the chants and gestures. Then a spinning grey ring of Essence springs up around the Exalt, spreading out to a radius of (Essence*3) yards.

As long as the Exalt continues to chant and gesture, they may choose to protect any, all, or none of the people in the circle from hostile magic with as many dice of countermagic as they care to use. The ring will persist for (Essence) turns after the sorcerer stops chanting and gesturing, but no changes can be made to the protection given. If someone was given only a single die on the turn the Exalt stopped chanting, then they will only have that single die. Also, as soon as the chanting stops, the ring stops moving with the caster.

As a curious footnote, mostly likely to be shared by a Terrestrial instructor during the learning process, Iron Circle Countermagic has been noted to defend (or 'defend') against things that normally wouldn't be countermagic-able. The most noted of which are the arts of the Earthbound, and the a very mixed bag of effects from some rare evil wizards.

Three Diamond Unweaving Method:
Culled from the ultimate chapter of the ultimate book of magic before its destruction in prehistory, this spell represents the acme of sorcerous command from the Exalted - the ability to unmake standing spells. Other than rolling Essence instead of Aerte and using Occult for sphere knowledge, this works as normal unweaving on things that would be recognized as spells. Because the nature of this fallen age, it can also be used to unmake things that would normally be called wonders or fetishes or reliquaries, although that requires a great deal more knowledge to attempt.

At minimum, the Exalt needs three dots in the skill needed to make the magical thing, three dots in Awareness, and three dots in Occult. It's possible to substitute items of research or personal knowledge of the thing's creation or creator, but it always takes at least three threes to begin the unweaving attempt. If the unweaving of an item is interrupted, it will slowly recover a success per week until it once again works, usually as well as before.

Certain reliquaries, so called perfect reliquaries, can't be entirely unmade. At best they can have their ability to store power disrupted, which is a very slow process, unmaking a level at a time.

These next bit of homebrew charms were done to explicitly give the core Exalts that didn't have easily accessed Block Gun (and other Lethal) Unarmed stuff that stuff if they didn't have an explicit supernatural armor charm. If you feel like requesting an Abyssal or Infernal version because that's what you're thinking of making, I can do the work easy enough.

2 Dot Dawn Caste Charm
The exalt chooses two of the three following benefits to have permanently: they may block things that would normally destroy their hands like burning hammers and laser blasts, they can attack unarmed (or nearly so) at -1 difficulty, or they can force the target to soak the damage as bashing or lethal whichever would be worse for the target's chances.

By spending one essence, they have all benefits for the scene and can choose one to be boosted in the following manners: blocking deals damage to the attack the Solar has blocked; this lowers its damage by one until repaired if a melee weapon, does one HL of automatic bashing or lethal damage to the attacker if unarmed or otherwise using the body to attack, and destroys most solid projectiles outright: both attacking and inflicting damage are done at -1 difficulty on animate targets, inanimate ones instead have two more levels of damage than the Solar rolled to deal with: the character inflicts lethal damage, which is either soaked as aggravated damage or at +2 difficulty if the difference between lethal and aggravated is moot for the target.

Break the Stone (Get the Bone) - 1 Dot Full Moon Caste Charm :

The Lunar imbues their arms and legs (or rough equivalents in other forms) with an impossible hardness. This has two effects: first the exalt can block things that would normally maim their limbs with no ill effect. Second, if an attack that directly uses the limbs fails to overcome an object's Durability, one health level still gets through to Structure, allowing the Lunar to theoretically destroy any object given enough time and patience.

3 Dot Endings Caste Charm
Calling on half-memories of a fallen age, the Sidereal's hands and feet gain a sheen like chrome and trail a thin line of burning crimson on the slightest motion. By spending one Essence, the character's hands and feet are treated by the world as if blessed magical blades of inestimable antiquity for (Essence*2) turns.

Attacks deal lethal damage without a stunt, they suffer no damage when blocking any physical threat that can be blocked because they mimic the imperishibality of lost legends, and against creatures of darkness the blessing in the crimson allows for immobilizing the beast by stuffing the burning glow into the heart of the creature. This is very similar to staking a vampire, but at difficulty 8 and it works flawlessly against anything that Demonic Primacy of Essence would consider a lesser creature of darkness. Greater creatures of darkness may still defend themselves and move about at a crawl, but until they manage some way of removing the burning crimson essence (say with a dramatic and difficult strength roll or contested use of powers) they can do little else.

Lesser Creatures must hope for the aid of others or luck with the charm's ending.

Finally, some more words about Hedge Magic and stuff that came up one way or another when asked by the resident Angel for the stuff he's making. I'm being pretty free with acceptance on variations on Hellfire, since it takes a while to become a good middle ground to Exalted War Sorcery and ranged charms. Dragon Nest can be treated as dots in the PC level Chantry background (because I'm assuming that I managed to miss the spending part in the mass of words that is Mage 20) plus a flat Node 1. Can be helpful if you want some other hedge mage friends or want to talk to Tenshi about possibly being part of the same hedge magic group. Or it can be a half-dot in Sanctum per dot.

I'll also revisit some interpreations I may have put down about the Enchanting Path, because a second look has it be less worded like the Summoning, Warding, whatever the third was in Sorcerer Revised. But that's for when I'm less tired due to the plumbing having issues. In which case I'll edit if this is the last one, or make a new post and then edit in.

My girls are coming along really well. I'm going to linke them in here to share:

Maggie and Natalie Eichel are sexy twin sisters with brilliant minds. Publicly steamy steampunk cosplay models, their real calling is mad science. They have joined a group of mages who think of themselves as scientists exploring hidden truths of the universe.
Natalie was always lagging behind her sister in this.
Whereas Maggie awakened as a true mage who could fluidly reshape reality anyway she can imagine with her "science"--at least, if she has enough knowledge and power--Natalie just learned her tesla coils and her electromagnetic divination and never really did much of anything cool.
Natalie mostly just tagged along to protect her sister when she got into trouble..
In the midst of an epic battle (described by the Storyteller of this game in the game advertisement) Natalie suddenly became a Solar Exalted! Nothing will ever be the same but Natalie is happy because she finally, truly has the strength to protect her sister.

Natalie Eichel
Maggie Eichel
Shared Resources

Hi I am tentatively Interested, I just want to make sure are you only allowing exalts or are the other World of Darkness line mentioned in the Exalted VS world of darkness allowed?

You can make a non-Exalt if you want. If you want to be one of the nightfolk, the only major thing I'm not well versed in is Changeling. In their place, Mummies, I'd say. (Demons and Hunters are also off, but for non-knowledge reasons.)

Back
Top Bottom