Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What's your preferred POV for Roleplaying?

First person is how I started, short one shot style RP's that would start and finish in a 2-3 hour session. Third person can be easier for more involved RP's.

I find the 1st far more personal for a main character, side characters I will write in the 3rd. I don't mind whatever perspective a partner writes in though, it all seems to work for me..

Third person because it allows you to be so much more descriptive rather than just using I all the time.

Third person, mostly past tense. I understand people like first person as it feels more personal but that's the exact reason I dislike it. It feels like more of a self-insert than third person and I like to keep it very clear that this is just an RP, no feelings involved, these characters are not me and do not share my feelings. Feels cleaner, to me.

Third person primarily in the past tense. I just feel first person is too... creepy. I don't try to immerse myself via my character and I feel 1st person is really blurry on that front.

I have done first person that actually didn't feel like cybering, which was quite a surprise to me. But the biggest barrier is that that was a good case, most of the other cases of first-person that I've done are pretty blatantly trying to get off. So, it's not a blanket ban on first-person but I definitely feel as though it takes a skilled writer to separate themselves from the character. Third-person, past tense, is generally where my RPs lie simply because it's standard in fiction writing. It's hardly THE standard, of course, considering first-person novels are far from unheard of. It's also just easier when you're juggling more than one character because first-person makes no sense in that regard.

Partner preference. I do both first and third all the time. I usually do first person, and I'm more than fine with differing POV in roleplay if it makes sense setup wise. The whole "cybering", "self-insert", "too personal" issue makes sense when it comes to first person, but that's definitely more of a partner thing than a perspective thing. Depending on the place, I would like to think most adults are able to separate fantasy from reality when it comes to RP vs OOC stuff.

Doesn't matter to me. It's all just writing. That being said, I sometimes find it easier to write in first person. It's like I can get a better rhythm going.

i find it's more comfortable to write in third person, past tense. it feels too personal in first person, too ... present for present tense, too abstract and hard to follow if it's second person.

Third person, but Im not opposed to first person. Third person is easier for when having multiple chars in a scene imo.

Third person, past tense.

I mismatch present tense with past when I've tried. I do first person rarely, but I love reading it.

I used to be hardcore third person past tense, but as of this year I've tried to expand and came to be willing to indulge at least four sets. Past/present, first/third. Different style and quirks, but having stuck with third and hit a writing rut I found first was oddly refreshing.

Back
Top Bottom