Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

What kinds of Roleplays do you enjoy?

DracoSix

Moon
We're all roleplayers here (well most of us). So I am curious as to the kinds of roleplays you like? Being new, this might also help me figure out what kinds of things I will find here! Please post any rps you fondly remember too!

Some themes/tropes/ideas/pairings/whatever are more prevalent than others, but I like to think you can find a little bit of everything if you look hard enough. I've been fortunate enough to find my niche and people with similar interests.

Personally, I enjoy romance in my stories - so much so that I don't do roleplays without them. I also enjoy angst, but I haven't done it as much recently because of irl stress. Pretty much everything else just depends on my mood. Sometimes I like sweet, fluffy stuff. Other times, I like dark, horrible stuff. I almost always write long-term with worldbuilding and background characters and playlists and moodboards. Occasionally I do one-shots to satisfy quick cravings.

Some themes/tropes/ideas/pairings/whatever are more prevalent than others, but I like to think you can find a little bit of everything if you look hard enough. I've been fortunate enough to find my niche and people with similar interests.

Personally, I enjoy romance in my stories - so much so that I don't do roleplays without them. I also enjoy angst, but I haven't done it as much recently because of irl stress. Pretty much everything else just depends on my mood. Sometimes I like sweet, fluffy stuff. Other times, I like dark, horrible stuff. I almost always write long-term with worldbuilding and background characters and playlists and moodboards. Occasionally I do one-shots to satisfy quick cravings.
I see!

That's actually very interesting, to be honest with you. I love Romance and worldbuilding too! I'm not one who wants just smut but something more, ya know? A world, interesting characters and relationships and even stories. With smut in between all of that to make it even better!

Though I do admit that sometimes I do like pure smut things if I'm just in the mood for that, which happens from time to time. Really it depends on how I feel!

I like mostly Contemporary settings, real people who are thrown into some crazy situation and have to work through it. I like story rather than just kink/smut even if my idea is based around somethings sexual. I like the characters to be at odds with what they are doing or thinking about doing. That is kind of my thing. My ideas vary a great deal and I can be diverse in my interests. Fandom is a definite no go zone for me though.

I also like to world build sometimes, dystopian worlds etc. It really depends, I start with a story or concept/character type that I want to explore and go from there.

I guess dark romance is where it's at. HEA if possible, but dark (not all the time).

Mostly fandom. I won't do slice of life, it's boring. I'm burnt out on medieval fantasy and urban fantasy and likely will be for the foreseeable future, sci-fi I just don't like that much. Most of the popular historicals I won't do (Greek/Roman). If I do something original nowadays, it pretty much has to be in a wild west or weird wild west setting, which is a rare setting to find anything for.

Mostly fandom. I won't do slice of life, it's boring. I'm burnt out on medieval fantasy and urban fantasy and likely will be for the foreseeable future, sci-fi I just don't like that much. Most of the popular historicals I won't do (Greek/Roman). If I do something original nowadays, it pretty much has to be in a wild west or weird wild west setting, which is a rare setting to find anything for.
A lot of people say Slice of Life is boring and I guess it depends on what you mean by SoL. If it is just characters going to the shops every day and work meetings etc than I would agree. To me SoF implies a realistic contemporary setting which could involve any type of plot/kinks. So I guess for me it is what you make of it.

A lot of people say Slice of Life is boring and I guess it depends on what you mean by SoL. If it is just characters going to the shops every day and work meetings etc than I would agree. To me SoF implies a realistic contemporary setting which could involve any type of plot/kinks. So I guess for me it is what you make of it.
I don't think that's how most people use it:
"Slice of life describes the depiction of mundane experiences in art and entertainment.[1] In theater, slice of life refers to naturalism, while in literary parlance it is a narrative technique in which a seemingly arbitrary sequence of events in a character's life is presented, often lacking plot development, conflict and exposition, as well as often having an open ending."

That's how I think of it and how I see it usually used. "Realistic" could be a modern mafia romance or political intrigue. The one time I experimented with someone's SoL story... I was utterly drained by what to cook for so many meals and what clutter MC could clean up daily. (Never Again)

I don't think that's how most people use it:
"Slice of life describes the depiction of mundane experiences in art and entertainment.[1] In theater, slice of life refers to naturalism, while in literary parlance it is a narrative technique in which a seemingly arbitrary sequence of events in a character's life is presented, often lacking plot development, conflict and exposition, as well as often having an open ending."

That's how I think of it and how I see it usually used. "Realistic" could be a modern mafia romance or political intrigue. The one time I experimented with someone's SoL story... I was utterly drained by what to cook for so many meals and what clutter MC could clean up daily. (Never Again)
I get confused by the term to be honest. As you state I have also been in RP's where they sit around ordering pizzas and whatnot. It is boring beyond belief.

I have seen people use it to apply to modern scenarios that are more interesting too so perhaps some people use it incorrectly or have a different take on it. As a result I just avoid using the term now and use "Modern/realistic contemporary setting" instead. That said even fantastical settings can be boring if the chemistry or writing talent isn't there.

You can, realistically, apply "Slice of Life" to ANY genre/setting, as @Violet or Vi said.

It's a theme for a story, not a setting itself.

That it is most typically applied to modern day settings is happenstance.

Haha lol then she'll do it but there won't be details, except maybe the first time or signifcant ones

Ah...but what if your character - say, a maid who needs to be properly disciplined & trained - is required to cook and clean during the RP...? ;)
That burned me out the times I've done it. I felt like I should write more than "did his chores well" but describing laundry procedure was soul-killing. Rigging on a pirate ship? Sure, it's mundane for them, but not for me personally, and I can do a little research and show off knot names.

I enjoy doing a slice of life as the first roleplay with someone as it gives a good feel of someone's roleplay style before taking the hours to hammer out a story with someone. Yes is sucks for people who flake after the first roleplay, but those who stick around you have a rhythm with them.

My preferred play tends to be mutual dark triad traits mingling in a decadent setting.

Usually a modern high society event where all the 1%ers are mingling and reveling in opulent wealth and power two players working their own agendas in tandem with one another.

Slowly building the tension, and posturing with one another into an eventual tidal wave of carnal deviance.

Where you spend thousands of words and hundreds of paragraphs of dialogue, subtext, and inner monologue to actually add meaning and “umph” into the smut.

I enjoy so many genres that it's hard to pidgeonhole myself into saying I enjoy just a certain type. But really lately I've enjoyed high stakes, story heavy RPs with heavy moral and ethical dilemmas. That's not to say I don't have ones I adore that are nearly pure smut or more lighthearted slice of life, however.

I like story and the lead up more than the main act. I like for the characters to be at odds with what is happening in some way. If everything is easy for them then I get bored.

fantasy -urban, modern,high ,low- sci-fi fantasy, supernatural themes,

Mostly modern settings, moral dilemma's, characters who find it difficult to do what they are doing, getting in to their heads and exploring their emotions. Odd or unlikely pairings. Atypical characters or characters who go against the usual tropes. Twists and irony.

Back
Top Bottom