Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Another question for Vekseid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Luna

Supernova
My site is done and ready now, but now I have to cross the recruiting bridge.

I've got a great administrator, but he knows nothing about coding, and I was wondering how to install a meta tag to activate a google bot.

I don't know how to do the DNS activation either.

You're pretty smart and nice, so I think you can help me.

You can't 'force' Google to browse your site, instead you lure it in. Link there from a popular, established community or blog (not this one), and it will happen pretty quick. If you link from your signature here it will take a bit longer because this place is new and about to get newer.

I'm not familiar with the specifics of hooking invisionfree or similar services to a domain name. The first step is to buy one from a registrar such as namecheap - <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://namecheap.com">http://namecheap.com</a><!-- m --> - and usually the free forum providers give instructions from there. What nameservers to set and so on.

Luna said:
Oh.

Damn it to hell.

Well if you want, I'm actually interested in hosting a MyBB forum alongside Elliquiy and Blue Moon here to see how it performs compared to SMF and phpBB. You've got a decent start, and there's room for something in between the two. I'm hoping to get the new server live in two days. You'd be out from under forumotion's thumb at least.

For me to host I require the same guidelines I set for this place... rules 1-5, and make it succeed.

I'm sure I could do the rules, but I don't know what 'make it succeed" is reffering to.

Hey, Vek..I hope the drama going down in PvP does not change your opinion about me.

Despite everyone's false analysis of me, I'm a pretty stable person when it comes to having responsibility.

I think you overestimate my time to pay attention to PVP and even then the amount of stock I take in other people's perceptions. I give everyone a chance, even though my tolerance for bullshit has thinned a fair bit lately. Weaseling games don't concern me, your motivation does.

Luna said:
I'm sure I could do the rules, but I don't know what 'make it succeed" is reffering to.

So, I spend $20 for your domain name, dedicate an IP for you, set up postfix (mail server) binding, an nginx (web server) instance, a few databases, an fcgi instance for you, and the forum software...

Do you think I want or care to hear, two months later, that 'recruiting is too hard!'? Or even "I'm the only one recruiting!"?

You're going to need to get your community to the point where you are recruiting new blood faster than old blood loses interest. More importantly, you need to be at that point when -you- lose interest, so you can safely take a break and come back to a community that is still thriving. It's a lot of work, but I can provide a lot of advice on that front. It will help if you're starting with a half dozen or so who are willing to help with raw recruiting.

No, I wouldn't give up. But you are right, we DO need advice on recruiting, because gaia is terrible and its hard to get people to stop clinging onto gaia.

I understand how hard it is, and I already need another admin because the first one is known for disappearing.

Knowing how much you're putting into the site, money wise and all, I would never be able to simply just quit and say that its too hard.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom