Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Guilty Pleasure Movie?

moulin rouge got a mention here already; that's a huge one for me and i'll earnestly go to bat for it being a good movie. i love weird campy horseshit like velvet buzzsaw, rocky horror, the lair of the white worm, and jupiter ascending 😄

Another for Moulin Rouge. It's a total rip-off of La Boheme and not even a good retelling of it, but it's fun, and the music is fun, and the costumes are fun. I can fully admit it's trash, but it's fun trash.

Detective Pikachu (2019). It's not the strongest plotline and the ending with the "talking" pikachu actually just being his dad riding around inside the body of the pikachu wasn't something I particularly liked. But the entire rest of the thing I thought was adorable and heartwarming. Like, it wasn't made for me but it is just pure feel good cuteness.

You don't mess with the zohan is one of Adam Sandler's worst works, and I love it. it's such a dumpster fire of a movie but I watch it at least once a year. He should be legally barred from making any more movies.

Rush Hour 1, 2 and 3. Don't watch them often but when I do I'm gonna enjoy the hell out of them.

The Princess Fantaghiro movies, Spaceballs, Masters of the Universe ... and if series count, too, Knight Rider, Automan and Misfits of Science.

Avatar. And no, not The Last Airbender one. James Cameron. The fantasy is so GOOD. I don't care if anyone thinks it is silly or stupid. I love it. So so so much.

I like the Older Jackie Chan movies. Drunken master, Wheels on Meals, the lot...
Oh, definitely. You should check out Kung Fu Hustle, heavy riffs on the "classic" martial arts movies, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Sharknado and any of the Friday The 13th movies. Highlander as well, it's so cheesy and '80s in a lot of aspects, but you can't top Queen or Sean Connery's acting in it.

Do the Resident Evil movies count? They've got jack shit to do with the main plotline but the later installments are so wacky...

I don't really believe in guilty pleasure media. You don't need to feel guilty about liking a movie? Or music?

But the ones that people try to make me feel bad for:
The Star Wars prequels! Can't stand the originals, honestly. Never seen the sequels.
The NEW Friday with Jackie Earle Haley. Much scarier than Englund's Freddy imo.
Hocus Pocus. So excited for 2!!!

I love bad 80s fantasy/Sword & Sorcery movies. Deathstalker is one that is so bad but so fun.

I would have to say all of the Chucky horror movies. I have loved them since I was young but I would have to say Bride of Chucky is my favorite out of them all. Jennifer Tilly being a pretty, killer doll really topped the cake for me! I even had to get the Spencer doll of her lol.

John Dies at the End, it’s a trip and the books are even better.

Second choice is Fight Club, but we don’t talk about that.

Third is The Room, fun fact, I once went to a live showing of it and got to throw plastic spoons in the air with a bunch of other losers just like me. (Iykyk). I also have a T-shirt with a Tommy Wiseau cat screaming You’re Tearing Meow Apart that my best friend bought me.

If I want to watch a movie but don't know what I want to watch...?

I'll often fall back to Alita: Battle Angel or Pacific Rim.

Waterloo (1970), about Napoleons final 100 days campaign resulting in the titular battle. No CGI. Just 15,000 Soviet soldiers dressed as French, English, and Prussian soldiers performing maneuvers, with an Italian director and Hollywood casting. The late Christopher Plummer as the Duke of Wellington is definitely a mood.
5390rN.gif

The Phantom of the Opera movies, but the (2004) version was my favorite over the original 1943 film. Still on my bucket list to see the actual performance in person. I can watch the movie over and over and it never gets old.

Back
Top Bottom