Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

OOC: Dungeon of Bad Ends

Morathor

Supernova
Rules Thread
Profile Thread
Game Thread

Active Players:
Grimoire
freeko
LizH
ippo

This will be the OOC thread for Dungeon of Bad Ends. You can chat and hang out, make plans, ask rules questions, etc. There are also some things we need to sort out before we can play.

First, how do we want to handle dice? There are a couple of options I can see. First, there are websites like hamete, which are designed for just this sort of thing. You set up a server for your group and it records everyone's rolls. Discord might also be an option, though I have less experience with dice rollers. Also, depending on how comfortable everyone is with trusting everyone else, there is the option of just having everyone roll dice on their own--in their homes, or with a website of their choosing--and just reporting the results. What do you all think? Is there anything I'm overlooking?

The next thing we need to decide is which of the optional rules we are using. You can review the full rules document for more details, but these are the different rulesets available:
--Stamina
--Purity
--Safe Haven
--Last Stand
--Fallen Heroes
--Tags
--Relics
Of these, I would most strongly advocate for Safe Haven and Last Stand. I do also think the Stamina and Purity rules could be fun.

I had also floated the possibility of testing a new rule, Second Chance. By default, the game is set up so that once a character is defeated, they get their bad end scene, and that is the end of them. The player has to make a new character and press on. And some players have been really into that, but some people don't want to give up their characters quite so easily. The Fallen Heroes rule is one alternative, letting a corrupted character return as a recurring enemy, but I don't know how well it fits this game.

Second Chance allows for different stages of corruption; as long as your character hasn't succumbed completely, there's a chance they'll be rescued. However, their experiences will take a toll on them; they'll be significantly weakened, and easier to defeat and be dragged off all over again. And once you reach the highest level of corruption, there really is no coming back--even if your allies retrieve your body, your mind will be too far gone to ever recover.

So, what do you all think? How should we handle dice, and which rules do you want to include?

Last edited:
Heya! Thanks for inviting me in. My personal vote goes toward including Last Stand. Purity. Safe Haven, and Stamina. Relics seem like a fun addition as well, Tags also just seem useful.

I'm okay with Second Chance from the standpoint of sending then back off to the village to hopefully one day recover, and it is appealing to have a character come back to get raped harder. I would likely not use that personally, and I dont care at all for Fallen Heroes.

I'm also alright with self reporting rolls. I dont cheat, and half the fun is losing so why lie and say I won?

Yeah, that's kind of my thoughts on the rolls--I don't quite remember who said it, but someone else who played a game with me in this system said they were "playing to lose." Which I think/hope is the basic mentality of everyone coming into this game; it's called Dungeon of Bad Ends, we're all here for those ends. (Granted, I think most people want to put up a good fight and not just get beat down by cheap, one-sided encounters, so I try to keep things balanced.) But, we also mostly don't know each other, so if someone's more comfortable having the rolls where they can see them, I certainly understand.

As for the Second Chance, the concept I had does kind of allow players to opt out of it, sort of--but it's a little more complicated than just saying "No thanks, I don't want to be rescued." So, let me go into a little more detail, and folks can get a better idea if it sounds good to them:
--I mentioned multiple stages of corruption; there are three, and the third one means you're gone for good. So it's a "three strikes you're out" kind of thing.
--Normally a character is defeated when one of their stats hits -5. If you have one level of corruption, it's -4, and it goes to -3 when you have two levels. So, at your best you're as strong as ever, but you succumb to your foes a little more easily.
--Captured characters are automatically rescued when the rest of the party beats a boss and purifies the area. However, if the entire party gets defeated (unlikely, but not impossible) then there's no coming back for anyone.
--You can start a character with one or two levels of corruption if you want; these are treated as weaknesses, meaning you can get higher stats or special abilities in exchange for them. (However, they don't count towards the "every character must have at least one weakness" rule, you will also need a weakness that's more specific to your character.)

Thoughts, anyone?

I prefer to have rolls public, or just done by the GM to speed things up. Then again, I am also not someone who was a part of this game the first time around. I had a character ready to go and then the game stalled out before I could get into the game. I would prefer something basic, if for no other reason than to see just what the heck is going on and then work from there.

I hadn't considered doing all the rolls, but that's definitely an interesting option. I could certainly do it, and it would get rid of something that's been a frustrating necessity in past iterations. Basically I would have to tell players at the start of combat which of their attacks had advantage and disadvantage against which enemies, which 1) could be a lot of information to process; and 2) took away the exploration of trying things and discovering what does and doesn't work against certain foes. If I did all the rolls, you could just say "I'm attacking the knight with my lightning bolt" and when I do the DM post I could mention, "That attack rolled with advantage, since his armor conducts the electricity." So that's definitely an interesting take.

I do think a lot of people like to do their own rolls, that helps them feel more engaged, and I certainly don't want to take that from them. But it also might be possible to mix and match those options...

Hi all. I'm MxM, but I'm hoping for enough horny orc NPCs and tentacle monsters to keep me busy. lol

I'm cool with the DM rolling. Honestly, even in TT, it's where my only real anxiety over RP comes from. That I'll roll something wrong and look like an idiot or like I'm cheating. I think it would also be faster to not need to wait another post to find out opposed rolls so we whomever can react. Especially with this game, there's no real incentive to cheat. But, if we do roll, I'm fine trusting everyone. I never checked any rolling website for what someone rolled, ever. I've never been in a successful forum group game with rolls, but I skimmed some other similar game threads and saw roll posts under spoilers that seemed to work fine. So, my vote is for Trust or DM rolls.

I'm fine with Stamina, Purity sounds fun, Safe Haven, Relics, and Second Chance. I'm not in love with scrapping characters, but I accept that it's part of this. A chance to physically recover occasionally would be nice. I'm ambivalent about Tags, Last Stand, and Fallen Heroes. I probably wouldn't do either of the latter, but I'm fine if others do.

Heya! Good to have you joining us, obieblu. I don't usually do MxM (at least not in erotic games) but I'm absolutely willing to try if you don't mind my inexperience.

With regards to opposed rolls and reactions, that can definitely be frustrating in forum-based games; and one of the major things I've done to adjust Despair and Desire as a forum-based game is to get rid of those entirely. To simplify a bit, any time two forces are opposed, the defending force is assumed to roll a 10.

I'll be honest, the main reason I've recommended Last Stand is that I've found it's a good way of moving forward when people have to leave the game--which, you know, happens. People lose interest or they don't have the time anymore or whatever. I don't mind that, but it does leave me in the position of figuring out what to do with their character. A valiant sacrifice is a good way of dealing with that. But, yeah it's the kind of rule you can invoke if it suits you and ignore if it doesn't. The big issue with it, as far as I'm concerned, is it does give one player the option to force the rest of the party to move on, potentially before they're ready. But if that idea doesn't bother you all too much, then there shouldn't be too much trouble with incorporating the rule.

Thanks. That's why I always mention it up front in case I'm horribly incompatible.

I read that concern about Last Stand, and I don't think I'd be horribly ticked off if someone did it 'too early'. If anything, it might just translate into some IC resentment for flavor. "That was unnecessary, but I guess [X] did what they thought they had to do. What a waste. Moving on.."

I'm torn between a head-on fighter or support magic user. I think a virtuous paladin might be fun to throw into this, but it may be overkill.

I don't see any problem with a paladin type; that strikes a good balance of head-on and support. (Depending on how you build them of course.) If Freeko's planning on keeping it simple, that's probably going to result in a pretty head-on fighter as well. I'll try to balance encounters to whatever the party ends up being, but it's still something to keep in mind.

I'm mostly waiting to hear from Isabelle so everyone has a chance to weigh in on the optional rules; once we can pin down what rules are in effect, I'll set up the character profile thread and we'll start on character building proper. That said, everyone's free to start planning/discussing here or in PMs. I can tell you that, regardless of what house rules are chosen, you will need a name and age, and a picture (no photographs or 3D). I'm not going to ask for detailed backstories or bios; which is not to say you can't come up with them, they just won't be in the public profile. Instead I'd like a list of five or more "key concepts." Those could be personality traits, habits, defining events in their lives, etc.

EDIT: As the image restriction seems to be causing more frustration than it would save me, never mind, just use a picture of some kind.

Last edited:
I think I have the same reservation here as obieblu, since I make my characters with a 3d modelling program.

If you're still looking for sign-ups I'd definitely be interested in this. I've just downloaded the rules and I'm having a read through, but at first glance I don't see anything there I'd disagree with.

I don't know what kind of characters you're looking for, but I'm happy to play a support type M-U or Cleric, or a ranger or rogue.

Sorry I wasn't able to reply to this sooner... things got complicated since I last posted but I was too exhausted to sort anything out.

So, I'm not actually sure if obieblu and freeko have the same concerns about the profile stuff, since obieblu didn't specify. As far as the pictures go, the hope was to create a somewhat more unified aesthetic, which I tend to find more comfortable to visualize. But if it's a serious concern for multiple people then I can reconsider.

LizH, we're trying to stick to a fairly small group, probably 3-4. However, since some of the people who expressed interest in the recruitment thread haven't weighed in on the OOC thread, and we may have just had one or two people drop out, I think there's probably room for you. As I said before, I'll do my best to balance encounters to whatever party you folks come up with. It's been my past experience that a party with no healing is hard to balance around, but if we're using the Stamina rules then everyone has a little self-healing.

Thanks. I'll go ahead and make a healer anyway in that case and you can decide if you're full up. Where do you want me to post the character? Here? PM?

PM them to me. I'll get the profile thread set up soon-ish; It'll include all the rules/character sheet info you need to include.

And it seems like everyone who had anything to say about optional rules, has probably said it already, so I think we're going to go with the ones I proposed, plus relics since that one seems rather popular. Also since it seems to have caused a stir, never mind about the 2D image thing. You can use whatever you like as long as you submit something.

I don't know how I missed all of these various posts. 🤷‍♀️

I'll come up with a character and PM them to you. I was also planning on playing a healer, but it's all cool whichever way we go. I'll build to whatever we're missing when the profile thread goes up, since I'm comfortable playing just about anything.

I don't know if anyone was planning on playing a character who fights using Purity damage, but I did make a little tweak to how Tease works. Previously, if your target wasn't helpless or willing, you couldn't attempt it at all, but you could design special attacks to deal Purity damage to unwilling targets. So that distinction seemed a little moot. The modified rule divides targets into resisting, helpless, and willing; you have disadvantage against resisting targets and advantage against willing ones.

Ah, to further expand on that: since some of the folks who expressed interest in the interest thread never showed up to post here, and ippo was next in line to get in on the game, so welcome ippo! Let me know if you need help with character or rules or whatever.

It seems pretty straight forward, fren. I just can't get attached to the characters cuz they're probably gonna get raped and killed. o3o'

Well, you do get a couple of chances to bounce back, what with the new sanity rules we're trying out, and also probably the characters won't die unless you're specifically looking for snuff scenes. But, yeah bad things will happen to the PCs, probably best not to get too attached to their well-being.

So, I don't want to start the dungeon proper at least until ippo's got their character finished (and freeko's got their picture ready), but how do you all feel about me getting the game thread started tonight or tomorrow? We'd start in the town that will be your Safe Haven, and you'd have a chance for your characters to interact with each other, as well as the supporting NPCs. Sound good? Or do we need to wait a little longer?

I should be available tomorrow night EST, so I'll have a character by then, fren!

Alrighty, I have a character! How do you all wanna proceed? Where should we go first?

Back
Top Bottom