Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Psych's Low Budget Cooking Blog (comments & recipes welcome)

psych80

The Mindful Cook
Supporter
Welcome to my kitchen!

A little about me:
I'm a married father of four and a stay at home dad. Around our house I do all of the cooking and try to make my family healthy, tasty, and fun meals nearly every day of the week. I've always enjoyed cooking but in the last couple of years I've really dug deep into the subject to learn as much as I can. I am by no means a professional but I do think that for an amateur I'm not too bad at what I do. I cook a lot of standard American fair but I also try to get some Indian, Korean, Chinese, Italian, Mexican, etc cuisine in when I can.

Mission of this blog:
There are a few things I hope I can share here that might be of use or interest to some of my fellow BMRers.
  1. Cooking on a Budget - Thanks to my professional life I know a bit about budgeting. Living paycheck to paycheck for a while also forces people to get frugal but it's not always obvious how you can save money and still eat well. I have a TON of tricks for this. I hope to share and would love to hear your tricks as well!
  2. Great Recipes - I'm always on the hunt for recipes that are fun to make, taste great, and will feed my big ol' family.
  3. Kitchen Equipment - I want to share what I've learned over the last few years about what to buy and what to avoid. I'm constantly reading reviews and magazines/blogs/etc to find new ways that the tools I own can help me. Some of these things might be more obvious than others. I also plan to share some product reviews here as well that will hopefully help some of you.

I'm sure this little intro post will change and evolve with time but hopefully you'll keep coming back and enjoy the content I hope to share here! My first real post will get put up soon discussing some basic kitchen equipment that I highly suggest for any/all kitchens.

So one of the tools you'll use the most in your kitchen is your chef's knife. As those of you in the discord chat know, I was really looking forward to getting my newest chef's knife and I'm going to tell all of you why you should consider buying it!

G4jjApw.jpg

So first, let's talk about the selling points of the Fibrox Pro according to Amazon:
  1. Multipurpose chef's knife designed for chopping, mincing, slicing, and dicing with razor sharp, laser-tested, tapered knife edge is ground to form an exacting angle, to hold a sharp edge longer and ensure maximum cutting performance and durability.
  2. Ergonomically designed, non-slip Fibrox Pro handle provides a sure grip and easy handling even when wet, making each knife safer and more efficient.
  3. “Highly Recommended” for over 20 years by a leading gourmet consumer magazine that features unbiased ratings and reviews of cookware and kitchen equipment.
  4. Expertly crafted in Switzerland since 1884; designed for professionals who use knives all day, every day; lifetime warranty against defects in material and workmanship.

Price: Between $36 and $44 on average.

Yeah but why?
So this is very likely the most used knife in your kitchen. It's great for western cooking because we tend to cut up a lot of tougher meat, harder veggies, and so on. That's where the typical chef's knife really excels. It's good for chopping potatoes, carrots, and onions as well as beef, lamb, chicken, and pork.

Since we're going to use it so much, it makes sense to spend a little more money on it. That's the attitude most professionals have, spend the most on a good chef's knife then spend less on the knives you rarely use. Personally I like to have good knives for whatever I'm doing but I also have a pretty tight budget to work within.

That's where this particular chef's knife comes into play. The magazine that the Amazon posting is referring to is Cooks Illustrated. I absolutely adore this magazine because of their product reviews among other things. Their reviewers have NO brand loyalties and are completely pragmatic about what they endorse and what they don't. Despite the fact that they've reviewed crazy expensive, world renowned knife brands, to this day (to my knowledge) Cooks Illustrated still suggests this knife over any and all that they've tried.

20180301_093814_sm.jpg

Now my personal experiences so far have been really really good. I've portioned out an entire pork loin, and done all the cutting and chopping for a batch of chicken stew. (Onions, carrots, celery, potatoes, chicken) Even cutting through something as big as the pork loin there's no resistance what so ever. With a factory edge I was able to shave beard hair off with the thing. Some people are scared of sharp knives but you can tell with this knife that it does all the work for you.

Portioning out the pork loin took a fraction of the time it normally does. This is where good knives really sell themselves when they take all the work out of cutting/chopping. If you're cutting up a lot of stuff for a big meal like Thanksgiving you'll notice a HUGE difference in how your hand feels when using a knife like this. At first I wasn't sure if I'd like the synthetic handle but I have to say that it's really comfortable.

Caring for the knife is a little different than the kinds of knives you might pick up at Target or Wal-Mart. Under NO circumstance should you put this knife in a dishwasher. What I do is I just wash and dry it as soon as I'm done with it. I use a soapy washcloth and wash it by hand which is what Victorinox suggests. This is pretty typical of professional quality knives and a small sacrifice for the ease of use you'll get from it.

All in all this knife gives you a professional quality knife at a price point that's three to four times less than knives that a lot of chef's lust over. Reputable sources claim it'll last for ages and hold an edge for longer than some of the previously mentioned knives. The best part is that if anything were to happen to your Fibrox you wouldn't be out that much money and could likely replace it faster than say a $120 Wüsthof Classic Ikon Chef's Knife.

In the end there are cheaper knives, and there are more expensive knives. You can definitely find flashier chef's knives from a variety of big manufacturers but this knife is still impossible to beat.

The First Recipe!

So this delicious soup recipe is one that I've actually already shared with a few people in private here on BMR but it's so yummy that I thought I'd make it the first dish I did for this blog. This is something a friend of mine shared with me a while back and my family liked it so much that it's become a regular part of the rotation. Usually this gets made no less than once a month around here. It smells amazing, it's terribly expensive to make, and is enough to easily feed a family of six with left overs to enjoy for the next day or so. If cooking for less people then you'll have more left overs but trust me, with this recipe, that's not a bad thing.

A few notes about equipment I used for this one; if you have a dutch oven then use it! If you don't have one and would like one I recomend the Lodge 6-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven. It's what I have and it's only about $50. If you've never cooked with a dutch oven I'll say that they're a real joy but you absolutely cannot use metal tools in one. It's too much of a risk to fuck up the enamel. You'll notice no metal in the pictures below. If you can afford to drop big money on a dutch oven, the pros pretty much all use the Le Creuset 7-1/4-Quart Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven. It'll run you between $325 and $400 but I hear it's absolutely amazing and will likely outlive you if you take care of it.

If you don't have a dutch oven and don't want one or can't swing the $50 just yet, don't fret. You can use a stock pot just keep a close eye on things so you don't scorch your veggies! Anyway, let's get on to the recipe!

Vj2ewPKa.jpg
Notes on Ingredients
It's worth it, in my opinion to spend the few extra cents on the diced fire roasted tomatoes. This recipe isn't really all that expensive so it shouldn't break the bank. Also, the recipe calls for either spinach OR kale but you can find bags with a blend of both. That's what I like to use and you can get a bag of this blend at Wal-Mart for about $3. I've considered playing with the recipe a bit by using crushed tomatoes rather than sauce and even adding a second can of diced tomatoes. However, the recipe is so good by itself that I've hesitated to change much.

OH! And let's talk about the wine required for this recipe. First of all, there's nothing saying that you HAVE to deglaze your pot. I know some people abstain from alcohol even when cooking with it. Another note on the wine is that you don't have to use anything nice. I use a cheap cooking red because it's mostly just there to get the yummy brown stuff off the bottom of the pot.

Let's Cook!
sausage.jpg

1. Brown the sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat — crumbling it with a spoon as you go — until it is cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate, leaving behind about 1-2 tablespoons of grease in the pot. (Remove any excess grease, or add a little bit of olive oil if there is not enough remaining.)

veggies.jpg

2. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

wet_stuff.jpg

3. Add in the wine, and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot (scraping up those delicious brown bits that get stuck to the bottom). Add in the chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 5-10 more minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.

rest.jpg

4. Add in the cooked sausage, gnocchi and spinach (or kale), and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the gnocchi begin to float and are cooked through. Taste and season with salt and pepper (and/or extra crushed red pepper flakes) as needed.

Zx6mpTxq.jpg

5. Serve immediately, sprinkled with your desired toppings such as freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped fresh parsley or basil. In the pictures here I didn't garnish it because I wanted to show off the soup itself.

Enjoy!

Printer friendly version:

Italian Sausage, Gnocchi, and Tomato Soup

Ingredients
1 pound ground Italian sausage*, spicy or mild
1 tablespoon olive oil, divided
1 medium white onion, diced
2 large carrots, diced
3 stalks celery, diced
2 bell peppers, diced (one red, one yellow)
5 cloves garlic, peeled and minced
1/2 cup dry red or white wine
4 cups chicken stock
2 (15-ounce) cans tomato sauce
1 (15-ounce) can diced tomatoes (fire-roasted)
1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1 (16-ounce) package gnocchi
2 large handfuls fresh baby spinach or roughly-chopped kale

Directions:
1. Brown the sausage in a large stockpot over medium-high heat — crumbling it with a spoon as you go — until it is cooked through. Use a slotted spoon to transfer the sausage to a separate plate, leaving behind about 1-2 tablespoons of grease in the pot. (Remove any excess grease, or add a little bit of olive oil if there is not enough remaining.)

2. Add the onion and sauté for 3 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the carrots, celery, bell peppers, garlic, and sauté for 5 more minutes, stirring occasionally.

3. Add in the wine, and use a wooden spoon to deglaze the pot (scraping up those delicious brown bits that get stuck to the bottom). Add in the chicken stock, tomato sauce, diced tomatoes, Italian seasoning, red pepper flakes, and stir to combine. Continue cooking until the soup reaches a simmer. Then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer for 5-10 more minutes, or until the vegetables are completely tender.

4. Add in the cooked sausage, gnocchi and spinach (or kale), and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring occasionally, or until the gnocchi begin to float and are cooked through. Taste and season with salt and pepper (and/or extra crushed red pepper flakes) as needed.

5. Serve immediately, sprinkled with your desired toppings such as freshly-grated Parmesan cheese, finely-chopped fresh parsley or basil.

Must Have!

This week I thought I’d talk about another essential part of any kitchen. I don’t have tons of money so if I’m going to get something that costs much at all it has to be worth every penny. A good kitchen knife is not only safer but it also saves you a ton of time and we all know that time is worth its weight in gold. But this week it’s not knives that I plan on talking about. This week I’m going to talk about vacuum sealer machines and why they are absolutely worth the investment.

s-l225.jpg

I personally own the FoodSaver FM2110 Vacuum Sealing System which was given to me as a gift. I have been told that this model doesn't hold up and will break down in time. Personally I've had mine for going on two years and I've never had much of an issue. Based entirely on my own experiences I would suggest this model but I would warn you that people I trust have claimed that theirs haven't lasted.

Two models that come highly recomended are the V3840 FoodSaver Vertical SS and the Waring Pro PVS1000 Pistol Vac Professional Vacuum Sealer System. The Pistol Vac comes with high marks from Cooks Country and would fit nicely in smaller kitchens for any of you living in apartments with limited counter space. The other has gotten praise from various cooking blogs. Last, if money is no object I would have to bring up the Weston Pro-2300 Commercial Grade Stainless Steel Vacuum Sealer (65-0201), Double Piston Pump which is a professional go to model but comes in at about $200-300 on average.

Yeah but why?
Now that we've got that out of the way, let's talk about what these things do beyond vacuum seal your food. The short answer is that they save you money. How? Well, vacuum sealed food will last months (or more) longer in either the fridge or the freezer.

For myself that means that I have the ability to take advantage of meat sales to stock up. I got my hands on a deep freezer as a hand-me-down and I keep that thing packed as much as I can. I simply break it down when I get home so that it's in manageable amounts that I can just open up and use as needed. This is especially great for meat sales at wholesale and bulk food places. Here locally I hit up GFS when the prices are right.

In the end, can you live without this? Yes. But will it seriously help you with saving a great deal of money in both wasted freezer burnt food but also in taking advantage of sales that you might not have been able to before. Anyone who has ever shopped for one or even two people knows how hard it is to save money when it comes to food. I highly recommend picking one of these up and you'll be blown away by how useful it is. If you decide to try one out please let me know what you think!

zYDp9Qt.png

Here I am to invade (with permission, I'm a polite version of the inquisition) and bring not one of the Spanish cooking classics, but THE Spanish cooking classic. La Tortilla Española o Tortilla de Patatas, also known as The Spanish Omelette or Potato Omelette. Here in the inquisition (lazy, horrible inquisition) we suck at measurements, so I tend to eyeball stuff out. Use your experience and better judgment to adjust as needed. The first steps are easy. Chop potatoes, fry potatoes. I know, right? Some versions, such as mine also have onion on it, so be sure to chop and fry that too. Use the one you like to add either a sweeter touch or a more feisty one.

Gratuitous old coal kitchen picture. Do not worry, there is no need to go medieval on this one, you can use whatever fire you please. I'll go with a gas powered flame one, because the rest looks like The Future and here in The Inquisition are no fond of such witchery. You can do such a prep work in advance and let it rest at some place, also feel free to incline it a bit so it drains any excess oil. Even if many Spanish people's blood can boil at such International Incident causing event, feel free to add whatever you think it can go well to the mix. Nobody will know. The bottom one here has green pepper on the potato and onion mix, for example.

Once you are ready to rumble, get eggs, whisk eggs, salt (and pepper if you are some kind of fancy Frenchman) and add the delicious potato and onion mix into it. It's not rocket science, I swear. Dump that thing into a pan that's low to medium heat. Use the one you fried the things before for extra laziness as long as it doesn't have a puddle of oil, being a bit lubricated is fine. Leave it cook for a bit, no worries. You can let some chicken wings with paprika photobomb the omelette, is has no effect on the taste.

Now comes the only tricky part, I'm not joking here. When it's decently done from one side and it's stable, you cover it with some kind of flat surface, turn it around and slide back on the pan so it's made both sides. You can use a dish or something, I used the cover of a big pot. Let it cook until you are happy with the consistency. I like mine juicy, but I won't judge you if you prefer yours completely done or runnier. It's your omelette, I won't barge in your house to arrest you.

Serve it with whatever the hell you please. Some people I know like it with a simple green salad. I like mine at this point of cooking and with tomato sauce on top for an extra zing. Also red.

Recipe!

After long last, I have another recipe I want to share with you guys that's actually really delicious and cheaper than you might think. It's one of the best Jambalaya recipes I've tried and includes chicken, shrimp, and andouille sausage. Ideally when it's all done it should have a warmth without being overly spicy. For those of you who like it hotter, bust out your favorite Louisiana style hotsauce and go to town or you can always add more spice. The main cost in this dish is just in the meat. If you can get the chicken when it's on sale and vacuum seal it until he can swing the andouille and shrimp, that's how I would do it. You'll also notice that I was working with shrimp that were relatively small, previously frozen stuff you buy by the bag. These aren't too bad price wise, averaging about $5 a bag depending on where you get them.

You don't have to add the shrimp in if you're not a fan! Instead simply add the final seasoning that they're tossed with directly to the jambalaya at the very end. Also, some may wish to salt and pepper to taste at the very end. It just depends on your personal tastes. I have a few notes about my preferred ingredients but we'll get to that.

Once again I'm using my Lodge 6-Quart Enameled Cast Iron Dutch Oven and I still highly recommend this dutch oven if you don't already have one. The recipe calls for a dutch oven and honestly you're going to struggle to produce the same results without one so that would be the only real limiting factor here.

Oh, and I'll mention (again) that if you can afford to drop big money on a dutch oven, the pros pretty much all use the Le Creuset 7-1/4-Quart Signature Enameled Cast-Iron Dutch Oven. It'll run you between $325 and $400 but I hear it's absolutely amazing and will likely outlive you if you take care of it.

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
1½ cups chopped onion
1½ cups chopped celery
1½ cups chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups long-grain rice
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 fresh bay leaves
1½ pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
2oPjSpK.jpg

Let's Cook!

vV3NNDu.jpg

1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat; add sausage and chicken, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, stirring for about 30 seconds until fragrant.

55aAsMe.jpg

2. Add tomatoes, and stir until juices are absorbed. Add broth, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.

Note: I actually like to use the pre-cooked rice pictured above for this recipe. It makes sure that you get rice that's done without risking overcooking anything else. It's made life a LOT easier with different recipes where you cook with the rice like this and I highly recommend it. Also, I'm a huge fan of the Sam's Club bone broth pictured above as well. I think it has a great flavor for when you don't have time to make your own or simply don't eat enough whole chickens to regularly have the carcasses to cook down. Lastly, I love those diced, fire roasted tomatoes but I swear I don't use them for everything! haha I just like the flavor they add to this recipe.

aThLvxZ.jpg

3. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, paprika, cayenne, and parsley. Add shrimp to rice mixture, and stir until combined. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

eFxQCqX.jpg

4. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Enjoy!
TpPkVQe.jpg

Printer friendly version:

Psych's Legit Jambalaya

Ingredients
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 pound andouille sausage, sliced
2 pounds boneless-skinless chicken thighs, cut in 1-inch cubes
1½ cups chopped onion
1½ cups chopped celery
1½ cups chopped green bell pepper
3 cloves garlic, minced
3 cups long-grain rice
1 (28-ounce) can diced tomatoes
5 cups chicken broth
2 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
2 fresh bay leaves
1½ pounds large fresh shrimp, peeled and deveined
2 teaspoons kosher salt, divided
1 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
1 teaspoon smoked paprika
½ teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
Garnish: chopped green onion (optional)

Directions:
1. In a large Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat; add sausage and chicken, and cook about 5 minutes or until browned. Add onion, celery, and bell pepper, and cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until tender. Add garlic, stirring for about 30 seconds until fragrant. Add rice, and stir about 3 minutes until lightly toasted.

2. Add tomatoes, and stir until juices are absorbed. Add broth, thyme, and bay leaves. Bring to a boil; reduce heat to medium-low. Cover, and cook for 15 minutes or until rice is tender.

3. In a medium bowl, combine shrimp, 1 teaspoon salt, 1/2 teaspoon black pepper, paprika, cayenne, and parsley. Add shrimp to rice mixture, and stir until combined. Cook for 2 minutes or until shrimp are pink and firm. Add remaining 1 teaspoon salt and 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

4. Garnish with green onion, if desired. Serve immediately.

Coming Soon!

So I've been neglecting my cooking blog! So just to give a preview of some of the things I'm working on to share are my recipes for chicken wings and a great recipe I found for copy cat Buffalo Wild Wings Spicy Garlic sauce for them in a two part recipe post. Related to those posts are some tips and tricks for fried chicken in general. Those same tips and tricks can easily be used to make your own chicken strips/tenders, fried chicken pieces (breasts, thighs, wings) like you'd get at KFC, and so on. I'm also going to share my recipe for egg drop soup that my family and I eat at least once a month that's super cheap and really yummy! Then I have a great spread for your dinner rolls, sweet bread, english muffins, etc. It's a midwestern/planes states classic called honey butter. I also wanted to share some best practices for honing your kitchen knifes and a few handy kitchen hacks that I use.

That's just some of what I'm hoping to share soon.

Back
Top Bottom