Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

(Interest Check) Vampire: The Masquerade

Major Kusanagi

The Major
Okay, I've recently been getting back into a game I loved to play but haven't done in a long time. And that game is Vampire: The Masquerade by White Wolf Publishing, the game that started the entire World of Darkness franchise.

I used to play a lot of Vampire, both tabletop and LARP. And I would love to run a sandbox Vampire: The Masquerade campaign with the original Gothic-Punk flavor and the mysterious brooding atmosphere of the early versions of the game, before the metaplot went crazy like it did in Revised Edition.

I want the game to be based on First Edition's setting, style, and themes. The game itself could use the First Edition rules or use the more recent V20 rules with the First Edition style and setting, although I could also do a semi-freeform version of the game inspired by the LARP rules. Don't know if a semi-freeform system would go here or Group Role-Plays, but I'll cross that bridge when I get there.

For a more clear idea of the setting, style, themes, and atmosphere of First Edition Vampire: The Masquerade, check out the official VTM Style Guide that White Wolf put out on DriveThruRPG, it's completely free to download and I'll link it below.

http://www.drivethrurpg.com/product/218269/Vampire-the-Masquerade-Storytellers-Vault-Style-Guide

The actual setting in terms of when and where would be Chicago in the very early 1990's. It would be inspired by the early First Edition supplements for Vampire, such as the original Chicago By Night, and other books like Milwaukee By Night as well as the early adventure modules like Ashes to Ashes, The Succubus Club, Blood Bond, Alien Hunger, Blood Nativity, and Awakening: Diablerie Mexico.

Playable clans would be Brujah, Gangrel, Malkavian, Nosferatu, Toreador, Tremere, and Ventrue.

Would anyone be interested in revisiting the roots of Vampire: The Masquerade?

You had me at Masquerade. I am absolutely interested in this concept. I would love to lay claim to the Nosferatu, if we are limiting this to one from each clan. Though if big enough, I still want to be Nos.

I'd love to have you on board and I can totally accept your Nosferatu character. I'll allow multiple people to play the same clan for now, though I'd like to have some variety of clans as well.

Always interested in the Masquarade - not overly familiar with 1st Ed system wise (so V20 or other for system might suit me better just for access), but always avoided the overall metaplot anywhy.

Thinking perhaps Tremere or Brujah - but might change that depending on how I think out a concept (and the rules edition), could also go mortal and leave the embrace (clan etc) to you if you were interested (helps with the personal horror and confusion I find).

I'm always welcoming new players, and both Brujah and Tremere are fine choices for a clan.

As for system, we'll probably use 20th Anniversary Edition (AKA V20) or maybe a custom system of my own inspired by the LARP rules, but modified for forum play. I'm leaning more towards V20 as it's more familiar and accessible.

V20 rules with the 1st Edition style.

Sounds good - any thoughts on what level of characters you are looking at or dependent on background.
i.e embraced last week and knows nothing, embraced five years ago and is starting to get a feel for things, embraced fifty years ago and properly understands their place.

I am more inclined to go newly embraced to allow for not knowing things that you might decide to introduce (and to play up personal horror etc).

Either newly embraced or embraced only within a few years at the absolute most. I want this to be a mostly street-level campaign at first.

Grand so - anything you are looking for from as at the moment (character backgrounds, sheets, be an existing coterie etc) or or you still waiting on others before we consider any of that or talk on themes etc?

I was waiting on at least one more person but we can discuss themes and backgrounds and the like now if you want.

A 1e styled game sounds neat! Count me in as a Malkavian or a Tired of. Would we be using the old style Malkavians who have Dominate?

mirrorcapitan said:
A 1e styled game sounds neat! Count me in as a Malkavian or a Tired of. Would we be using the old style Malkavians who have Dominate?

Yes, we will be using the classic Malkavian Discipline set up of Auspex, Obfuscate, and Dominate.

Neat! I've always found dementation a little meh. So for themes I would suggest something maybe anarch focused? If my (admittedly spotty) memory serve in 1e anarch and 'young vampire' were basically synonymous but there was still at least a subtle difference.

Will likely than go with Brujah over Tremere for a more anarch focused game (always felt that Tremere should be tied into the clan firmly).

As in, we are anarchs? May I ask why we are not part of the city's accepted and recognized vampires? Or is this a question that we should answer.

Not all of the PC's need to be Anarchs or otherwise unrecognized, even if the campaign is somewhat Anarch-focused. You could also be an accepted Camarilla vampire with some Anarch sympathies or be a very low-level Camarilla neonate trying to prove their worth against the Anarchs.

I suppose it wouldn't be an "Anarch" campaign but rather a Neonate campaign, and since it's in the First Edition setting and style, the Anarchs will play a major role in the plot.

Ok, that settles my concerns again. All to the good. Not sure where Hognose will be in this game, though very low-level Camarilla neonate trying to prove their worth against the Anarchs sounds most correct.

So far the idea I like best at the moment is a young Toredor with Anarch sympathies. She resents her sire enough to be rebellious but she isn't quite brave enough to commit to the movement and risk getting cut off.

I very much like the idea of a "proper" (in the sense of cheesy 80s) Vampire game. What're your feelings about Lasombra?

mystictiger said:
I very much like the idea of a "proper" (in the sense of cheesy 80s) Vampire game. What're your feelings about Lasombra?

Right now, I'm limiting it to the core seven Camarilla clans BUT I may add the Lasombra and the other clans as a playable option as the game grows and progresses.

How do you feel about multiple characters to a player? Just to flesh out the city. I say this understanding that rarely when I play more than one character, do they get along. They can get stuff done if they had to, but normally, one wants the other dead. You may even lay the stipulation that all additional characters have to be separate clans.

I'll allow multiple characters per player, that is perfectly fine with me. I might even have a few characters planned myself, if you guys are okay with that.

Think I will stay with only a single character - just prefer to only focus on the mentality and story of one at a time.

Back
Top Bottom