Patreon LogoYour support makes Blue Moon possible (Patreon)

Past character actions influencing future situations

Cypherxk2

Forgotten Dark Phantom Knight
I've found myself in a conundrum with an rp. Due to how I had a character of mine act in a scene, the scene was bumbled and didn't happen like it was supposed to. Now, in order to get past it, I find that I can't fathom a feasible reply without my character being crippled in some way that compromises or outright negates the character's original purpose.

I guess my questions are, has that ever happened to you and what was done to get you beyond it.

It happens. Sometimes things don't go as you planned... and in such a case, just ask your partner if you can have a do-over with the scene. If you explain the issue they should understand, or at the very least allow you to just pretend things happened the way you wanted.

Well... yes? I mean... isn't that the way rp goes? That past character actions influence the character's future? Ive had a couple of characters gone forever due to their actions.
My Toreador has been turned into a statue and is occasionally shown as decoration during an official banquet of her Ancilla. My Malkavian was killed off because of some of her actions. I mourned both losses intensly, but... "rp goes on", and i had other characters that were intense fun to play after them.

Sometimes keeping true to a character and not messing the plot is a fine balance to handle, specially if the characters are conflictive. As always, communication to see how to deal with any issue is key. That said, you have to wonder what's the focus of the game, if the development of the characters or the story, see how you can balance the two and move on. If not, try to fix it or rewrite it, depending on how you and your partner feel about it.

Back
Top Bottom